Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cyclefree on the perils of hubris

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,995
    Mr. Jonathan, riding and fencing.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Jonathan said:

Time for some Olympic mashups.

I'd like to see an innovative combination of Dressage and Diving.

Synchronised horse diving. I'd watch it. Better than dressage.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

PlatoSaid said:

Jonathan said:

What an awesome setting for the Triathlon - Brighton beach is no match for the Copacabana.

Gold and Silver for the Brownlee Brothers - Awesome.

Brighton Beach benefits from an excellent branch of WHSmith nearby that I suspect the Copacabana cannot match. Swings and roundabouts.
    Good point, well made Sir – and who wants golden sand when you can have pebbles…

Interesting Factiod – With Brownlee’s Gold, that's 13th 0f 19 Team GB athletes to retain their London titles. – And two more events yet to come in Taekwondo and Boxing
    That's hugely impressive - and shows the spread of sports we excel in. No silos in swimming et al like a nation or two...
    Which sport do you excel in?
    I'm an amateur 10k rower. How about you?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Impossible task. A Canadian banker can be a murderer.

??? what a strange point. Too much Brett Easton Ellis
  • Options

Mr. Jonathan, riding and fencing.

Isn't that just jousting?
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, unpleasant, but not the worst an emperor ever suffered.
  • Options
    Synchronised Trainspotting!

:lol::lol::lol::
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,758

@John_M As I've said before, if 650k in two years isn't mass immigration, please tell me what number would qualify. We should note that immigration is primarily to England. From memory Scotland has ~173k and Wales ~85k.

Nonetheless public perception is wrong in many respects. In particular ...

Public perception about immigration isn't wrong. It is what it is. The problem is that Government hasn't dared explained why immigration levels are high. The wrong perception is that Brexit will resolve anything to do with immigration. The Leave campaign has rightly pointed to Australia, New Zealand and Canada as successful, remotely located, originally Anglo-Saxon countries that can act as models for a Brexited Britain. But they never acknowledged immigration into those countries is much higher than here.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    PlatoSaid said:

Have to be honest - badminton can't get me the teeniest bit engaged. It's so SLOW - like action replay golf. But a medal is a medal and well done to the chappies!

Luckily no need to like badminton...

@JohnyHelzapopin: @JohnyHelzapopin Badminton, essentially tennis for pensioners, who are mostly Tories, playing with each other's cocks at school is also Tory
  • Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450
    With regard to May, who at the moment is riding high despite (or because) she hasn't really done anything, I'm reminded of Churchill's comment about Anthony Eden - 'the greatness of the office will find him out'.
  • Options
    Mr. Max, jousting should indeed return (although it uses a spear rather than a sword).
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

PlatoSaid said:

Have to be honest - badminton can't get me the teeniest bit engaged. It's so SLOW - like action replay golf. But a medal is a medal and well done to the chappies!

Luckily no need to like badminton...

@JohnyHelzapopin: @JohnyHelzapopin Badminton, essentially tennis for pensioners, who are mostly Tories, playing with each other's cocks at school is also Tory
    He retweets himself?

That's sad.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

wasd said:

PlatoSaid said:

What's happening in the badminton? We've won a medal or two?!

Bronze in the men's doubles.
    Can we agree it's better than horse dancing? But yes, they all count!
    Pah! Dressage is great if you watch their legs/feet/bum. All the little mistakes are plain - Badminton is just a yawnfest :trollface:
    Nah, it's the most boring 'sport' there! :p
    No, that's Test Cricket. It "tests" your patience :)
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited August 2016
    John_M said:

However, I'm entirely sympathetic to the European view that the Conservative party has committed an act of pan-European economic vandalism simply because it was unable to stiffen its sinews and reform the UK health and welfare systems.

I'm not convinced that the health and benefits factors make much difference to the total numbers. Sure, at the margin they might, but essentially EU migration is driven by students (whose dosh we want), and young workers attracted to our vibrant economy, flexible labour market, language, and culture, and of course driven out by unemployment in their home countries. I was never convinced by Cameron's hope that benefits changes would have a big impact on the totals, even though the changes he was proposing were sensible in themselves.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    PlatoSaid said:

He retweets himself?

That's sad.

It's a thread of all the sports.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220
    Jonathan said:

We were discussing this in the office yesterday. We came up with Synchronised Water Dressage.

• Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

PlatoSaid said:

Hell Yeah!

1 United States 31 32 31 94

2 Great Britain 20 21 13 54

3 China 19 15 20 54

4 Germany 13 8 9 30

5 Russia 12 14 15 41

6 Japan 10 5 18 33

So good to see us doing so well at the Brexit Games!

Equal on total medals with China!
    It's 21 21 13 now just looked
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Hell Yeah!

3 China 19 15 20 54

4 Germany 13 8 9 30

5 Russia 12 14 15 41

6 Japan 10 5 18 33

Permission to swoon (again!)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Jonathan said:

I'd still love to see a horse in the back seat of a kayak....
  • Options
    FF43 said:

@John_M As I've said before, if 650k in two years isn't mass immigration, please tell me what number would qualify. We should note that immigration is primarily to England. From memory Scotland has ~173k and Wales ~85k.

Public perception about immigration isn't wrong. It is what it is. The problem is that Government hasn't dared explained why immigration levels are high. The wrong perception is that Brexit will resolve anything to do with immigration. The Leave campaign has rightly pointed to Australia, New Zealand and Canada as successful, remotely located, originally Anglo-Saxon countries that can act as models for a Brexited Britain. But they never acknowledged immigration into those countries is much higher than here.

Australia and Canada have net migration rates twice as high as ours; New Zealand six times as high

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_net_migration_rate
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Or water polo. On horseback.
  • Options

John_M said:

However, I'm entirely sympathetic to the European view that the Conservative party has committed an act of pan-European economic vandalism simply because it was unable to stiffen its sinews and reform the UK health and welfare systems.

I'm not convinced that the health and benefits factors make much difference to the total numbers. Sure, at the margin they might, but essentially EU migration is driven by students (whose dosh we want), and young workers attracted to our vibrant economy, flexible labour market, language, and culture. I was never convinced by Cameron's hope that benefits changes would have a big impact on the totals, even though the changes he was proposing were sensible in themselves.
    I think our overly generous in working benefits (tax credits, housing benefit) make lower paid jobs viable for EU migrants. If they had to pay an annual fixed fee for health cover and no access to the benefits system then there would be fewer low paid migrants. I'm absolutely certain of that. The EU being completely obstinate about background checks and criminal deportation is a different but very real issue that needs to be addressed.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    FF43 said:

Half of them to London and New York
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Does dressage have to be done on a horse, or can you do it on a camel or a yak?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Horsey Hurdling... and High/Long Jump.

I'd watch that :love:
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Afternoon all :)

On topic, an interesting contribution for which, as always, many thanks. I'm not sure I wholly agree with the analysis of the EU Referendum.

For me, REMAIN's two mistakes were:

1) Failing completely to articulate a positive case for the EU or a positive case for remaining in the EU with the opt-outs and renegotiation.

2) Treating the whole argument in terms of numbers and economics. The British population were in effect reduced to the status of subservient economic drones whose sole purpose was to ensure we achieved positive GDP growth every quarter. "Don't Think. Consume and Spend" as it were.

I've probably drifted to the "harder" end of the LEAVE spectrum - I see the failures of the immigration system up close and personal every day and I blame the Single Market for much of it. I realise a lot of people want and need the Single Market but I believe it has consequences far beyond the economic which make it profoundly unsatisfactory.

As to the future, given we are already seeing people on here daily seeing the US election through the prism of the EU Referendum (there are millions of Trump supporters out there apparently who will come out on Polling Day apparently - yes, I know.)

I suspect Labour COULD get its act very quickly under the right conditions even if the influx of Corbyn supporters were replaced by a group of "new" Labour members but that's down the road.

May has to govern and as I always say, it's the small things that hurt - the scandal here, the gaffe there, the black swan event, the small issue that becomes a crisis. I think she's a Heseltine-style interventionist - she believes in Government not the State so the new Government will have a response for everything - whether it's the right response will of course be open to question.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Australia and Canada have net migration rates twice as high as ours; New Zealand six times as high

Yes, but the point is that these countries are in control of their immigration systems, with strict requirements on who they allow in. It's about more than just numbers.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370

TOPPING said:

PlatoSaid said:

wasd said:

PlatoSaid said:

What's happening in the badminton? We've won a medal or two?!

Bronze in the men's doubles.
    Forget badminton; the Olympics should have Fives. And extra kudos if they replicate conditions at my school - the athletes who turn up last get the worn-out gloves and the balls that have aged into concrete.
    I think it might freak people out (Eton fives that is; Rugby fives is obvs v simple to follow..)
    There's only one Fives, and that's Rugby fives. None of this posho Eton and Winchester rubbish. ;)
    :smile:
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

We were discussing this in the office yesterday. We came up with Synchronised Water Dressage.

It is a travesty that this is not already a thing. We should pitch these to channel 5.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Did you see the John Wayne shooting cyclists clip? v funny.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    PlatoSaid said:

taffys said:

''The statistic about the 100m times the other day was shocking, but then again most of us can remember back to the days of Ben Johnson and Flo-Jo in 1988. ''

Talking of the 100, am I alone in thinking the Beeb have gone overboard a bit on Bolt? Its become a North Korea type dictator cult with them. He's become the Dear Sprinter.

I mean the guy's a complete phenomenon, don't get me wrong. But at times its embarrassing.

Frankly, I've no idea why 100m gets so much attention. I really couldn't care less. I don't find it more impressive than dozens of others.
    I enjoy it as much as any other, but I also don't know why it gets so much more attention than any others. Of course its an impressive athletic display, but visually there are much more satisfying and lengthy athletic displays. It's not just because Bolt is a charismatic start either, since 100m has always to my knowledge been seen as the big draw. Shouldn't decathletes get more love?
  • Options

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Hell Yeah!

3 China 19 15 20 54

4 Germany 13 8 9 30

5 Russia 12 14 15 41

6 Japan 10 5 18 33

Permission to swoon (again!)
    We're pulling away from China on silvers too. They need to get several golds ahead to take second.

Heh.

All we need now is for Britain's Captain's of Industry to stop being so bloody namby-pamby and take a leaf out of British Sport's playbook. Then file the UK under "Worldbeaters"...

• Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Synchronised Trainspotting!

:lol::lol::lol::

Ki-ren trainspotting....
  • Options
    Forget Keirin - have full-blown multi-lap Moped Grand Prix :lol:
  • Options

Mr. Max, jousting should indeed return (although it uses a spear rather than a sword).

Lance.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    Sandpit said:

taffys said:

''The statistic about the 100m times the other day was shocking, but then again most of us can remember back to the days of Ben Johnson and Flo-Jo in 1988. ''

Talking of the 100, am I alone in thinking the Beeb have gone overboard a bit on Bolt? Its become a North Korea type dictator cult with them. He's become the Dear Sprinter.

I mean the guy's a complete phenomenon, don't get me wrong. But at times its embarrassing.

I've been watching the international coverage rather than the Beeb, but the guy is a phenomenon completely unbeaten in eight years and competing in his last Games. He's the only athlete to have got the stadium close to full and the crowd close to excited.

The media can go a bit overboard on coverage of individuals though, I felt a little sorry for Jess Emmis in London for the same reason but luckily she lived up to the massive expectations.

Who's staying up to watch Bolt's attempt on the 200m world record tonight? 02:30 UK time.
    Bolt seems to have peaked in 2009.

http://www.alltime-athletics.com/m_200ok.htm

Fastest man so far in 2016, Miguel Francis didn't start his 200m r1 due to injury.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2016
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I've never quite grokked why people so willfully misunderstand this point. We might very well be perfectly happy with 500k p.a. net migration or even higher, as long as it is the UK government who determines who comes in, and kicks out undesirables. It's not hard to grasp, surely?
  • Options
    Make the high jump bar a sword - that'll increase the tension.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

taffys said:

Frankly, I've no idea why 100m gets so much attention. I really couldn't care less. I don't find it more impressive than dozens of others.
    I enjoy it as much as any other, but I also don't know why it gets so much more attention than any others. Of course its an impressive athletic display, but visually there are much more satisfying and lengthy athletic displays. It's not just because Bolt is a charismatic start either, since 100m has always to my knowledge been seen as the big draw. Shouldn't decathletes get more love?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sSF1a2dww0
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Yes, but the point is that these countries are in control of their immigration systems, with strict requirements on who they allow in. It's about more than just numbers.
    Hmm. Immigration is out of control in the UK - 300 000 a year. Now let's double it to 600 000. But we will be in control.

Do you think people voted Leave for that?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Yes.

Remain had nothing at all to combat free movement and if they tried to counter that eg. Australia has more immigration than us, the easy and killing answer was that so what, Australia had chosen to have that amount of immigration.

When Jezza agreed he would like uncontrolled immigration it was the icing on the cake.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

taffys said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4YTB5FZeHQ
  • Options

Relaxing the regulations, allowing any beast and awarding extra points for the difficulty of the animal chosen would open up some fascinating possibilities.

The Mexican bull dressage team taking the gold after the disqualification of a doped Tiger.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Yes.

Remain had nothing at all to combat free movement and if they tried to counter that eg. Australia has more immigration than us, the easy and killing answer was that so what, Australia had chosen to have that amount of immigration.

When Jezza agreed he would like uncontrolled immigration it was the icing on the cake.
    I did wonder that day if Jez was a Leave deep cover agent.
  • Options

Has to be a horse, I think. But I guess you could always ask for an exception if you manage to find a camel that can do flying changes...
  • Options
    John_M said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I've never quite grokked why people so willfully misunderstand this point. We might very well be perfectly happy with 500k p.a. net migration or even higher, as long as it is the UK government who determines who comes in, and kicks out undesirables. It's not hard to grasp, surely?
    It would be entirely graspable if the governments and the campaigns presented the proposition honestly. But the latter don't want the public to realise what the real situation is.

That's the point.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Hmm. Immigration is out of control in the UK - 300 000 a year. Now let's double it to 600 000. But we will be in control.

If the 600,000 are all higher rate taxpayers, can't claim any benefits and the resulting tax revenues are put into schools n hospitals, roads and railways then yes, the people will be accepting of it.

That's what Australia does.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Has to be a horse, I think. But I guess you could always ask for an exception if you manage to find a camel that can do flying changes...
    Does the horse have to be the one on the bottom?
  • Options
    Mr. Topping, a lance is just a spear wielded on horseback.

There might be specialised versions used or not, but that's all it is, the same as a sarissa and a dory are both just spears.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

On the top is horse weightlifting......

"And the Kazakh lad has asked for a couple of ponies to be added to the bar...."
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

"And the Kazakh lad has asked for a couple of ponies to be added to the bar...."
    Whale-lifting surely!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

Errm, how else can it work ?

Horses are round about 500 kg, the most a human has ever deadlifted is around 500kg !

Are you proposing the heavyweight lifters carry a horse around the ring or some such ? Points for Eddie Hall's piaffe whilst carrying round a blackpool donkey ?
  • Options

There might be specialised versions used or not, but that's all it is, the same as a sarissa and a dory are both just spears.

Hmm Lances are meant to be wielded on horseback. Aren't spears meant to be thrown?

Need a bit of google-fu.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Jonathan said:

Make it a horsey pole vault and triple jump!
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Pulpstar said:

Now a camel doing tempis and pirouettes would be a sight to see.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

Whale-lifting surely!
    "And the Kazakh lad has asked for a couple of porpoises to be added to the bar..."
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

If the 600,000 are all higher rate taxpayers, can't claim any benefits and the resulting tax revenues are put into schools n hospitals, roads and railways then yes, the people will be accepting of it.

Slightly on this topic. The much despised Economist had an interesting to me article about how countries like Australia are moving away from points systems because governments are so useless at working out who should come it. It's better to allow people to come in if employers are willing to pay them.

link
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    edited August 2016
    Weightlifting with gymnasts.

Actually this gives me the excuse to post this:

https://gfycat.com/ScratchyInconsequentialBoilweevil
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

Errm, how else can it work ?

Horses are round about 500 kg, the most a human has ever deadlifted is around 500kg !

Are you proposing the heavyweight lifters carry a horse around the ring or some such ? Points for Eddie Hall's piaffe whilst carrying round a blackpool donkey ?
    Shetland pony and Anton du Beck might win.
  • Options
    If we're allowed to permute from {smart, well-paid, rich}, we should take 'em all.

There's no doubt that some Leavers voted in the hope that all the Roma and Muslims would somehow magically disappear. However, we can't cater for those folk.

We have to make a working assumption that people want controlled immigration. May herself has reiterated a commitment to 100k p.a. Personally I think that's unachievable, unless you reinstate the primary purpose rule, which I never cared for.
  • Options
    Adams fight: Another gold/silver for GB, China just bronze....

Heh....
  • Options
    wasd said:

That little Brazillian girl who's 4'4, 68lb and supposed to be aged 16 - I wonder if she could even lift the empty weightlifting bar?
  • Options
    You could spice up the greco-roman wrestling by holding it in the empty baggage car of a speeding train with a loaded pistol JUST OUT OF REACH of the combatants.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Jonathan said:

Horses and humans high jump world records are actually remarkably similiar,

2.47 metres (Horse, Huaso ex-Faithful in Chile in 1949)
    2.45 metres (Human, Javier Sotomayor 1993)
  • Options
    Mr. Topping, spears can be wielded on foot or horseback, retained or thrown.

You might argue whether darts count as spears (in this sense, they're slightly shorter javelins. I think peltasts used them in the ancient world).

Fancy subdivisions of weapons can be a bit unnecessary. In the Germanic cities of Holy Roman times only nobles could wear swords. So the Messer [knife] developed. Which was a sword-sized knife, and therefore technically legal.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    taffys said:

You could spice up the greco-roman wrestling by holding it in the empty baggage car of a speeding train with a loaded pistol JUST OUT OF REACH of the combatants.

Or perhaps on a small island surrounded by crocodiles?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Jonathan said:

Cue that polling: will a human ever jump higher than a horse in your lifetime?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    TOPPING said:

Hmm Lances are meant to be wielded on horseback. Aren't spears meant to be thrown?

Need a bit of google-fu.
    Mr. Topping, I think you might be thinking of javelins. Spears come in, or at least used to come, in many shapes and sizes but mostly as long thrusting weapons not for throwing.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Jonathan said:

Come on Humans, we can do this!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

wasd said:

That little Brazillian girl who's 4'4, 68lb and supposed to be aged 16 - I wonder if she could even lift the empty weightlifting bar?
    Givenshe's able to fling herself off of the uneven bars, I'm going to go with 'yes'.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Jonathan said:

In my lifetime, the humans are ahead.

Jumping that high is quite risky for a horse tbh, the stresses on the legs are immense - whereas a human highjumper lands softly on a mat.
  • Options

<

Why not, before the Grand National, have a human equivalent - 4 and a half miles, 30 fences, no horses ? Could be interesting.

• Options
    FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Slightly on this topic. The much despised Economist had an interesting to me article about how countries like Australia are moving away from points systems because governments are so useless at working out who should come it. It's better to allow people to come in if employers are willing to pay them.

link
    That would make sense, and reduce the bureaucracy. You could put a salary limit of say £30k for singles and £50k for families, if they've a job offer over that level they get a visa. It's the job offer that's the important bit, only net contributors should be allowed to come in.
  • Options
    ''Come on Humans, we can do this!''

Don;t bother. I once had a frog in my kitchen. As I shooed it out it must have jumped two feet high. Maybe more.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Jonathan said:

The late Terry Pratchett maintained in several of his books that from a standing start and over a short distance a man is faster than a horse (less legs to sort out or something). I have no idea if he was correct.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    taffys said:

Are they going to hold SPOTY over two nights this year? Or maybe series?

Risk they will award SPOTY to "TeamGB"?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Jonathan said:

The late Terry Pratchett maintained in several of his books that from a standing start and over a short distance a man is faster than a horse (less legs to sort out or something). I have no idea if he was correct.
    We surely smash them at long distance as well, as long as we get to carry water with us too?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Jonathan said:

That depends on the height of the horse! ;)
  • Options
    taffys said:

Don;t bother. I once had a frog in my kitchen. As I shooed it out it must have jumped two feet high. Maybe more.

There's a frog in me kitchen what am I gonna do?
    There's a frog in me kitchen what am I gonna go?
    I'm gonna fix that frog that's what I'm gonna do,
    I'm gonna fix that frog.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Ok, but maybe if we challenged them to a Starcraft competition then.
  • Options
    As soon as I've sorted out the last problems with my genetically engineered giant insects, you may as well give up any hope of medals, human scum.
  • Options
    John_M said:

As soon as I've sorted out the last problems with my genetically engineered giant insects, you may as well give up any hope of medals, human scum.

The next games are going to be hosted by Klendathu???
  • Options

They've run human vs horse races over both distances and sprint trips. Over 220 yards or one furlong, there wouldn't be much in it and Usain Bolt would just beat a thoroughbred - the horse goes about 20 seconds from a starting stall. In full gallop, a horse covers 220 yards in 12-13 seconds comfortably outpacing a human.

At extreme distances, the human closes up again.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Good old Scottish Labour, they are useless. They were all over the newspapers complaining about the SNP council, so they got their wish and they are still complaining , bunch of idiots.

North Ayrshire Labour blast SNP councillors for resigning while leader holidays in Italy

Labour Group leader Peter McNamara said: “On Tuesday we issued a statement which made it clear that following our by-election victory it was our duty to enter negotiations with other groups on the council but our primary aim was to maintain stability.
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/north-ayrshire-labour-blast-snp-8657339

• Options

John_M said:

The next games are going to be hosted by Klendathu???
    Would you like to know more?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Yes.

I did wonder that day if Jez was a Leave deep cover agent.
    Didn't Blunkett say the same thing many years earlier? Something along the lines of not really seeing any upper limit to the number of immigrants, I seem to recall.

Control and numbers are two factors but I'd add two more: the ability to get rid of people who break the rules and people having to put into the system for some time before they get anything out of it.

The latter offends people's sense of fairness I think.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Jonathan said:

We surely smash them at long distance as well, as long as we get to carry water with us too?
    Well, some people can run 26 miles 385 yards without stopping and no horse ever would. What that says about the mental abilities of the respective species I am not sure.

I do like horses though.
  • Options
    Mr. M, they're no match for genetically engineered land-walking superfish!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I'd vote for this.
  • Options
    Good news: neither of the two women boxing to face Adams in the final is Russian.
  • Options
    Risk they will award SPOTY to "TeamGB"?

When you look at some of the complete pants winners of the past (Dai Rees, David Broome, Princess Anne, David Steele, Gred Rusedski to name but a few), I feel sorry for our poor modern sportsmen.

This year you could be the best Gymnast Britain has produced for a century, or won your second Wimbledon, or third Tour de France, and still not get it. FFS what a complete joke we were.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Jonathan said:

Or water polo. On horseback.
    I had a friend who was captain of two England teams:

Ice Cricket and Elephant Polo

I did try to persuade him that - for cost efficiency - he should promote Ice Elephant Cricket
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

wasd said:

Givenshe's able to fling herself off of the uneven bars, I'm going to go with 'yes'.
    I would agree.
    An Olympic bar weighs only 20kg
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321

Mr. M, they're no match for genetically engineered land-walking superfish!

Is that the moment this thread jumped the shark?

Or should we put that forward as a new Olympic sport as well?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Jonathan said:

In my lifetime, the humans are ahead.

Jumping that high is quite risky for a horse tbh, the stresses on the legs are immense - whereas a human highjumper lands softly on a mat.
    I'm demanding airbags for horses....
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Sandpit said:

The statistic about the 100m times the other day was shocking, but then again most of us can remember back to the bad old days of Ben Johnson and Flo-Jo in 1988. Copious amounts of drugs and a dodgy and wind meter mean the women's 100m record could stand for a century.

It's been going on longer than that. Doping in the 100m has been the norm since at least the 70s. I'd be surprised if there's been a clean medallist since, it's just too much of an advantage for anyone clean to get close.
  • Options
    stodge said:

They've run human vs horse races over both distances and sprint trips. Over 220 yards or one furlong, there wouldn't be much in it and Usain Bolt would just beat a thoroughbred - the horse goes about 20 seconds from a starting stall. In full gallop, a horse covers 220 yards in 12-13 seconds comfortably outpacing a human.

At extreme distances, the human closes up again.

So Pratchett was correct! Well thank you, Mr. Stodge, I can re-read those Rincewind stories with a new perspective.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, sharks? Glorified goldfish beside the genetic supremacy of the enormo-haddock!

Mr. Taffys, Hamilton is likely to win a third consecutive driver's title (fourth total), and is currently 40/1 for SPOTY.
  • Options

Mr. Doethur, sharks? Glorified goldfish beside the genetic supremacy of the enormo-haddock!

Mr. Taffys, Hamilton is likely to win a third consecutive driver's title (fourth total), and is currently 40/1 for SPOTY.

As with so many other winners, he's let down by the P part.
This discussion has been closed.