Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The reason Theresa May is rating so well, even amongst LAB

Comments

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Christopher Snowden
    Or: "How the proportion of children with obesity has fallen 2002-2012". https://t.co/wlj3TOZERT https://t.co/TnAO5KiSgz
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

When choosing 'O' level subjects we were given the option of Latin or History and everyone chose Latin (great teacher). As the Headmaster was going to teach the history form he changed the rules so history was made compulsory and we then had to choose between Latin and Geography. I chose Geography.

I'm glad I don't work for a Headteacher like that. Lose the game and change the rules? I'll bet his staff hated him.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,875
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

According to wikipedia one of he residents of Budleigh Salterton is Hilary (The Assassination of Margaret Thatcher) Mantel. The trouble is that if these places are nice and word gets around they will always attract a few retired Guardianistas. I think it's a bit of a myth that the fashionable left all want to live in the big smoke.

Budleigh Salterton is like a morgue.
    Sounds a very suitable place for the writer of a book called 'Bring up the Bodies' then!
    I've never visited somewhere that was so quiet. You could have heard a pin drop at lunchtime.
    The nearest I've been is Exeter, where I heard their church choir singing in the Cathedral (at lunchtime). It was quite a good choir although not as good as the one I was in at the time.
    I'm very fond of Exeter Cathedral Square, and places like Southernhay, Rougemont Gardens, and the streets leading up to the Iron Bridge. Despite massive bombing, and some awful redevelopment in places, it's a fine city centre.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    According to Andrew Neil, there'll be no security in place for Labour's conference.

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/766224367516839936
  • Options
    Another Sky Newers going to spin for the government.

Sky News correspondent Poppy Trowbridge has been appointed as the new Special Adviser to the Chancellor.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

nunu said:

excellent July retail figures today-and anyone who's been out and about in London knows August is going to be even better. I can't see how the economy is going to show a slowdown despite the Markit sentiment reports- I pridict third quarter growth of 0.6% in October that might be a little optimistic given the sudden fall in sterling but I'll stick to it given the massivee proportion the services sector is a nd the feel good factor of the brexit Olympics awell.

Quote me on this in Oct 0.6% quarter on quarter.

I think the fall in sterling has certainly provided a cushion. Many more people than usual are spending their holidays at home (no doubt also in part to political instability in some popular destinations).
    Who wants the hassle of airport check-in or fighting off the immigrants at Calais? I'm off to join the luvvies in Edinburgh.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965

Russian boxer Vladimir Nikitin, who won a highly controversial decision over Ireland's Michael Conlan in Tuesday's Olympic quarter-final, is reportedly set to withdraw from the competition because of injuries sustained so far at Rio 2016.

He was battered.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    edited August 2016
    Sean_F said:

nunu said:

excellent July retail figures today-and anyone who's been out and about in London knows August is going to be even better. I can't see how the economy is going to show a slowdown despite the Markit sentiment reports- I pridict third quarter growth of 0.6% in October that might be a little optimistic given the sudden fall in sterling but I'll stick to it given the massivee proportion the services sector is a nd the feel good factor of the brexit Olympics awell.

I think the fall in sterling has certainly provided a cushion. Many more people than usual are spending their holidays at home (no doubt also in part to political instability in some popular destinations).
    And of course, absolutely nothing has actually happened or changed (other than cheaper £), all we are measuring right now is sentiment.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Russian boxer Vladimir Nikitin, who won a highly controversial decision over Ireland's Michael Conlan in Tuesday's Olympic quarter-final, is reportedly set to withdraw from the competition because of injuries sustained so far at Rio 2016.

He was battered.
    No no...in the eyes of the totally honest and fair judges, the strikes were neither numerous, clean or effective....
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Pulpstar said:

He was battered.
    No no...in the eyes of the totally honest and fair judges, the strikes were neither numerous, clean or effective....
    The pair were covered in his blood. It was a joke result.
  • Options

According to Andrew Neil, there'll be no security in place for Labour's conference.

Under the circumstances, most Labour MPs might be well advised to stay away then.

And I am absolutely not joking.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

nunu said:

Who wants the hassle of airport check-in or fighting off the immigrants at Calais? I'm off to join the luvvies in Edinburgh.
    I spent much of my Summer holiday in this country (Antrim, and Northern England, as well as Eire). I had no idea how beautiful the Antrim Coast is.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, are the leadership results announced just before conference? I think so, but if it's during, they may want to be present for that.

Miss Plato, foul lies! The Black Knight clearly beat King Arthur.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Under the circumstances, most Labour MPs might be well advised to stay away then.

Won't the police just refuse a licence due to public safety issues?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

When choosing 'O' level subjects we were given the option of Latin or History and everyone chose Latin (great teacher). As the Headmaster was going to teach the history form he changed the rules so history was made compulsory and we then had to choose between Latin and Geography. I chose Geography.

I'm glad I don't work for a Headteacher like that. Lose the game and change the rules? I'll bet his staff hated him.
    At the Berlin Olympics the same Head had won a silver medal in the 400m and gold in the 4 x 400m relay.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Scott_P said:

runnymede said:

I see. So the immediate negative shock Remainers assured us of is now being quietly buried? Which claim will be next to be abandoned I wonder?

Who said immediate?

Just for you (and SeanT)... :)

It didn’t last, that sadness. I felt the shift first of all at The Spectator’s summer party in July. I’d expected to feel awkward there, as a woebegone, defensive Remainer, surrounded by Britain’s Brexit elite. Gradually, though, I began to realise that this wasn’t how Britain’s new political dynamic worked. Contrary to my expectations, it was me who made other people feel awkward; the pressure was all on them. And in the weeks since, I’ve felt that dynamic again and again. You can always tell now, with people who voted out. They don’t need to say a word. It’s all in the haunted eyes. The shifty silence. They’re worried. It’s their world now. It’s all down to them.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/08/the-best-thing-about-brexit-none-of-it-is-my-fault/
    "haunted eyes" "shifty silence". Lol. That is genuinely funny. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

ydoethur said:

At the Berlin Olympics the same Head had won a silver medal in the 400m and gold in the 4 x 400m relay.
    Godfrey Brown, presumably? The school being the RGS in Worcester? Good school.

But I wonder how he would have felt if halfway round the relay it had been announced that only those who had previously dropped the baton would be considered for a medal?

EDIT - to remove strange autocorrect of 'relay'.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Pulpstar said:

He was battered.
    The pair were covered in his blood. It was a joke result.
    Conlan - Stevenson would have been a bout well worth watching too.

They could well meet in the pro game I expect, will be some years down the line though.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Golly. Just watched Japanese lady win gold in the wrestling. She's one mean looking fighter.

She's now carrying her bigger male coach round the mat on her shoulders!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    PlatoSaid said:

ydoethur said:

Can you imagine the screens of "foul play"?

You get the police to do it and send the Labour Party the full commercial rate bill including overtime.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Oh dear - Owen Jones has just destroyed OGH by quoting one of his tweets back at him.

This cannot be allowed to happened.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

Oh dear - Owen Jones has just destroyed OGH by quoting one of his tweets back at him.

link?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    For anyone who is yield hunting, Portuguese debt feels like a decent one way bet right now. An almost 3% yield and possible benefit from further QE by the ECB to weaken the Euro.
  • Options
    Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

ydoethur said:

You get the police to do it and send the Labour Party the full commercial rate bill including overtime.
    Isn't this self inflicted as they're still grandstanding over some of the companies that would do the job?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @Sean_F The Antrim coast is one of the very best in the UK. It's a very well-kept secret.
  • Options

@Sean_F The Antrim coast is one of the very best in the UK. It's a very well-kept secret.

We were keen to see the Giants Causeway, so we drove up from Larne. The coast road from Newry up to Newcastle is very attractive too.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

It has a purpose but is not targetted to your particular interests so you don't value that.

No Charles.

I love the countryside. I love engineering. I like grand projects. I love London's parks, which are the capital's under-appreciated jewels.

You will see me raving (*) about these topics all too often on PB.

Yet despite all that, I am against the Garden Bridge. Perhaps you should ask yourself if I am right, instead of continuing to defend the indefensible.

(*) In all sense of the term. ;)
    Your continued complaint is that cyclists have to push their bikes. It's not designed for cyclists.

This is privately funded*, open to the public and creating a new landmark for London. It doesn't do everything but it's a good improvement for the area.

but we won't agree and I suspect just rehersing the same argument will bore everyone else

* No additional public money is being spent on it that would not have been spent on Temple Tube.
    That's just one of my complaints. I fear you need to go back and re-read my posts. But on that complaint: "It's not designed for cyclists." shows the problem very well. It's not been designed to meet any real need.

A tip: you start with requirements, then design to meet those requirements. If you do it well, you can end up with something that works and is beautiful.

Instead, the bridge is the dream of a c-list actress that has been jumped on by idiots and self-serving charlatans. I mean, they're even associating with Princess Di now, FFS. They're scraping the barrel.

Your point on Temple Tube is incomprehensibly and unusually stupid. In fact, it's one of the things that makes me think the project's trying to treat people like fools.

Oh, and I do hope you talk about the bridge helping disadvantaged youths in the area. I 'm still laughing at that.
    My point on Temple Tube is very simple.

TEL is renewing all the stations in the network. It is Temple Tube's turn. They are budgeting £29.5m. The bridge will land on the roof of the Tube Station. So they are incorporating it into the design - cost of £30m.

Admittedly that's a government spend of £500,000 extra. But joined up thinking
    That goes widely against the way that part of the project's being reported. Could you provide a linky for your costings, please?

For instance, this reports the strengthening works of the tube station for the bridge as costing £3 million.

It also doesn't make the bridge any less of a £175 million white elephant.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    PlatoSaid said:

Golly. Just watched Japanese lady win gold in the wrestling. She's one mean looking fighter.

I saw the video and thought the same. I came across an astonishing fact about her in that prior to February this year she hadn't lost a wrestling match in 13 years. Her record was 189-0 during that timepsan. Wow.

• Options

link?
    https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/766231504267665408
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

PlatoSaid said:

I saw the video and thought the same. I came across an astonishing fact about her in that prior to February this year she hadn't lost a wrestling match in 13 years. Her record was 189-0 during that timepsan. Wow.

:open_mouth:

WOW
  • Options

Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

ydoethur said:

Isn't this self inflicted as they're still grandstanding over some of the companies that would do the job?
    I think they aren't grandstanding any more.

G4S is boycotted (something to do with Israel being a bad place full of bad people)

GMB has just called for the last bidder to be vetoed on the grounds they won't recognise the unions. While JC needs their vote on the NEC I doubt he's go against that.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    edited August 2016
    Karma? Though there's going to be a few frightened Kippers after this.

Flood destroys home of man who said gays were responsible for floods

http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/18/flood-destroys-home-of-man-who-said-gays-were-responsible-for-floods-6075192/
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

It has a purpose but is not targetted to your particular interests so you don't value that.

Your continued complaint is that cyclists have to push their bikes. It's not designed for cyclists.

This is privately funded*, open to the public and creating a new landmark for London. It doesn't do everything but it's a good improvement for the area.

but we won't agree and I suspect just rehersing the same argument will bore everyone else

* No additional public money is being spent on it that would not have been spent on Temple Tube.
    That's just one of my complaints. I fear you need to go back and re-read my posts. But on that complaint: "It's not designed for cyclists." shows the problem very well. It's not been designed to meet any real need.

A tip: you start with requirements, then design to meet those requirements. If you do it well, you can end up with something that works and is beautiful.

Instead, the bridge is the dream of a c-list actress that has been jumped on by idiots and self-serving charlatans. I mean, they're even associating with Princess Di now, FFS. They're scraping the barrel.

Your point on Temple Tube is incomprehensibly and unusually stupid. In fact, it's one of the things that makes me think the project's trying to treat people like fools.

Oh, and I do hope you talk about the bridge helping disadvantaged youths in the area. I 'm still laughing at that.

TEL is renewing all the stations in the network. It is Temple Tube's turn. They are budgeting £29.5m. The bridge will land on the roof of the Tube Station. So they are incorporating it into the design - cost of £30m.

That goes widely against the way that part of the project's being reported. Could you provide a linky for your costings, please?

For instance, this reports the strengthening works of the tube station for the bridge as costing £3 million.

Very pro bridge. Don't really understand the fuss against it.

It is peanuts cost compared to almost anything else, and will be nice. Most of the current bridges are horribly smog enveloped and the view across the Thames is one of the nicest in the world.
  • Options

http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/18/flood-destroys-home-of-man-who-said-gays-were-responsible-for-floods-6075192/

Has he thrown any gays off roof-tops like some of your co-religionists have done?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    So Labour can't organize the security at their own conference. How can they expect the electorate to trust them with the security of the country?
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

No Charles.

I love the countryside. I love engineering. I like grand projects. I love London's parks, which are the capital's under-appreciated jewels.

You will see me raving (*) about these topics all too often on PB.

Yet despite all that, I am against the Garden Bridge. Perhaps you should ask yourself if I am right, instead of continuing to defend the indefensible.

(*) In all sense of the term. ;)

It's what Mervyn told me when I last saw him, so no links I'm afraid :smiley:

That was a little over a year ago though
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Who else would the gays target with their flood making powers?
  • Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206
    edited August 2016
    Re: O-levels. In the late 70s I shared a flat with a teacher at a London comprehensive and she came home flaming mad one day. One of the teachers taught Italian part-time. As the school had poor academic standards, usually the only pupils doing Italian O-level were those who had Italian parents and already had a knowledge of the language. The teacher was going through a divorce and needed to work full-time so the school told a number of pupils that they would be doing Italian O-level, although the reality was that few of them had a chance of passing. In fact, several of them were struggling with French O-level and some were struggling with English Language O-level. In order to fit Italian into the time table, the number of French and English lessons were reduced. So pupils' chances of passing O-levels were reduced for the convenience of one of the teachers.
  • Options

link?
    https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/766231504267665408
    cheers

ah, the referendum, what was that all about, eh?
  • Options

Patrick said:

I would have thought a vacuum tunnel is a non-starter. This is essentially Elon Musk's Hyperloop concept. T'is bollocks on stilts.

But..I'd have thought putting a large ducted fan at the front piping air to thrust nozzles at the back would solve the 'slower in tunnels' problem. (Just not maybe at an effective cost or energy demand overall). However the idea of a train with a jet engine on its front appeals to me at a simple level!

How about a propeller-driven train?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schienenzeppelin

The APT-E was powered by jet (gas) turbines.
    So was the GT-3, which looked just like a steam loco!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_GT3
    http://www.enuii.com/vulcan_foundry/oddities/gt3.htm
    Yes, I forgot about that. There really were some weird loco designs from the 1930s to 1960s, of which Bulleid was a major culprit (or inspirational designer, depending on your view).

Witness the Leader class, which were steam locos that looked like diesels.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR_Leader_class
  • Options

Has he thrown any gays off roof-tops like some of your co-religionists have done?
    They aren't my co-religionists

Why are you obsessed with Muslims? Is there something about PB Essex people and their obsessions with me?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,930
    tlg86 said:

So Labour can't organize the security at their own conference. How can they expect the electorate to trust them with the security of the country?

A people's party does not need security to keep the public away, they are in side and welcomed, and so it will be when the masses sweep Jeremy Corbyn into power.
  • Options
    :smiley:

"Trained search dogs are being used to try and solve the mystery of three human feet discovered in the same area in Bath.

It is not thought the severed limbs are linked to any crime and police believe they may have come from a macabre private collection".

http://news.sky.com/story/police-use-tracker-dogs-to-try-and-solve-mystery-of-severed-feet-10541548?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter
  • Options
    SandraM said:

Re: O-levels. In the late 70s I shared a flat with a teacher at a London comprehensive and she came home flaming mad one day. One of the teachers taught Italian part-time. As the school had poor academic standards, usually the only pupils doing Italian O-level were those who had Italian parents and already had a knowledge of the language. The teacher was going through a divorce and needed to work full-time so the school told a number of pupils that they would be doing Italian O-level, although the reality was that few of them had a chance of passing. In fact, several of them were struggling with French O-level and some were struggling with English Language O-level. In order to fit Italian into the time table, the number of French and English lessons were reduced. So pupils' chances of passing O-levels were reduced for the convenience of one of the teachers.

The joys of a centrally planned sysytem run for the convenience of the producers
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    PlatoSaid said:

ydoethur said:

I think the police would do it for you if you want them to, its just going to be mind numbingly expensive. The conference will not go ahead without security. At the Tory conference last year there was seriously large amounts of disorder and security to the event was especially tight.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

"Trained search dogs are being used to try and solve the mystery of three human feet discovered in the same area in Bath.

It is not thought the severed limbs are linked to any crime and police believe they may have come from a macabre private collection".

http://news.sky.com/story/police-use-tracker-dogs-to-try-and-solve-mystery-of-severed-feet-10541548?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

Reminds me of the Canadian feet discoveries:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salish_Sea_human_foot_discoveries
  • Options
    Miss Plato, who amongst us does not feel pride when contemplating one's severed foot collection?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Who else would the gays target with their flood making powers?
    Twilight fans?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

nunu said:

And of course, absolutely nothing has actually happened or changed (other than cheaper £), all we are measuring right now is sentiment.
    Thats all markets are.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Miss Plato, who amongst us does not feel pride when contemplating one's severed foot collection?

People used to collect severed heads I believe. Oliver Cromwell's was passed around for many centuries until I guess the last owner did not want to carry on the tradition of being a head collecting weirdo and it was buried.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

I am guessing this is about the most excitement Bath has had since the Romans were about...
  • Options

Why are you obsessed with Muslims? Is there something about PB Essex people and their obsessions with me?
    Oi! Several times you have stated in threads and thread-headers "As a Muslim...".
  • Options

It might not be the best idea to suggest to Da'esh that throwing gays off roofs is a quick way of getting large amounts of water.
  • Options

Oi! Several times you have stated in threads and thread-headers "As a Muslim...".
    Come on you guys, nothing wrong with a bit of sub continent banter... Dr Sunil, behave yourself...
  • Options

ISIS aren't Muslims.

Next you'll be saying the IRA were Christian freedom fighters
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

ISIS aren't Muslims.

Are the IRA your co-republicanists? *innocent face* :p
  • Options

ISIS aren't Muslims.

Er, you seem to miss the bit where IS call themselves "Islamic State", NOT "Christian State" or "Hindu State" or "Moonie State".
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Dawkins has advocated euthanasing babies with Down's syndrome (or at least, aborting the foetuses) but so far as I know he's never gone in for gay-bashing.

With regard to obsessions, it must be the avatar.

Edited after TSE stated he is a Muslim - think I was confusing him with Morris Dancer (now I'm the one who'll need security)!
  • Options
    RobD said:

ISIS aren't Muslims.

On further thought I'm a non-Puritan Roundhead not a Republican.
  • Options

ISIS aren't Muslims.

Er, you seem to miss the bit where IS call themselves "Islamic State", NOT "Christian State" or "Hindu State" or "Moonie State".
    Or Quaker State. When i think of Religion of Peace, I generally think of those guys...
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, point of order: the IRA were Christians [the religious dividing line was incidental, the political difference was the real one. The IRA didn't try and set up a theocracy with their own pope].

There is an interesting question about whether people self-identifying as a religious group belong to it (Mormons consider themselves Christian, other Christian groups tend to disagree). Sadly, I think that ISIS/Daesh are as Muslim as Westboro Baptist Church are Christian.

Mr. kle4, if you know a better way to absorb the power of your slain enemies than to collect their severed heads, I'd like to hear it!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Charles said:

Okay. I win. ;)
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Mike: once the contest is over the Labour party will rally and the PLP WILL support. On the evidence of the last few days Corbyn is a stabler better political personality that Smith, who is all over the place. Even now the Labour vote is holding up and rising in places. Think we need a bit of objectivity.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    john_zims said:

@Scott_P

'CultureHouse: Luvvie anger over Brexit is palpable at Edinburgh https://t.co/vb0ipBn1hZ https://t.co/npKDyBZSMh'

How sad is that ?

Edinburgh is almost unbearable in August. I am focussed on going through as rarely as possible.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, point of order: the IRA were Christians [the religious dividing line was incidental, the political difference was the real one. The IRA didn't try and set up a theocracy with their own pope].

There is an interesting question about whether people self-identifying as a religious group belong to it (Mormons consider themselves Christian, other Christian groups tend to disagree). Sadly, I think that ISIS/Daesh are as Muslim as Westboro Baptist Church are Christian.

Mr. kle4, if you know a better way to absorb the power of your slain enemies than to collect their severed heads, I'd like to hear it!

Mr Dancer! Any right-thinking barbarian knows that one eats the hearts. Skulls are merely useful as book ends.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Eagles,

"ISIS aren't Muslims."

They would say the same about most other Muslims. Their aim is a Caliphate that stretches across the world with their variety of Islam the foundation stone of everything.

The nearest secular equivalent is Trotskyism.

• Options
    Mr. Doethur, I didn't see the unedited version. Unsure if you're claiming I have Down's, am a Muslim, hate homosexuals or am a member of ISIS/Daesh. :p

[For the record, none of those things are true. Handy, as I had a ham sandwich for dinner].
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Charles said:

SandraM said:

The joys of a centrally planned sysytem run for the convenience of the producers
    how much could our schools IPO for?
  • Options
    edited August 2016

RobD said:

ISIS aren't Muslims.

Non-Puritan Roundhead? Ah, a Presbyterian then.

No, you're right. What's next? Not feasting upon the heart of the slain to absorb their courage? Preposterous.

And now for lunch.

On the serious point about self identification with a group, it's not an easy one. Many many people will feel they are a part of a wider group, even if the majority of that group say otherwise, and who has the final say? The Mormon example is a good one, because they areb't considered Christian by many, but who is allowed to make that call? There have been splits in who is and is not a Christian for nearly 2000 years, and even the area of consensus among the bigger denominations today would find dispute from some groups today or in the past, and were those ones not Christians? Was Arian Christianity truly Christian? Monophysitism?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Dawkins has advocated euthanasing babies with Down's syndrome (or at least, aborting the foetuses) but so far as I know he's never gone in for gay-bashing.

With regard to obsessions, it must be the avatar.

Edited after TSE stated he is a Muslim - think I was confusing him with Morris Dancer (now I'm the one who'll need security)!
    Just remember I'm the one with the great and deep knowledge of history, especially classical history.
  • Options
    Mr. M, or drinking vessels.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Mr Dancer! Any right-thinking barbarian knows that one eats the hearts. Skulls are merely useful as book ends.
    You are a werewolf, and I claim my 5 silver bullets.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, when it comes to classical history, you have the self-confidence of Varro, and the results to match.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Think that is a bit high. There was definitely a pause in the immediate aftermath and the period without an effective PM was not great either. My guess is 0.3 which is so far from the end of the world that you can't see it from there.
  • Options

Mr. Doethur, I didn't see the unedited version. Unsure if you're claiming I have Down's, am a Muslim, hate homosexuals or am a member of ISIS/Daesh. :p

[For the record, none of those things are true. Handy, as I had a ham sandwich for dinner].

I thought TSE was an atheist! I was commenting that whatever the faults of some of their crazier members, they don't generally chuck gays off roofs.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

People used to collect severed heads I believe. Oliver Cromwell's was passed around for many centuries until I guess the last owner did not want to carry on the tradition of being a head collecting weirdo and it was buried.
    More British than that... it's owned by Pembroke Cambridge (I think). They buried it because students kept trying to pinch it as a dare...
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Did you have mustard with the ham sandwich?
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Eagles,

"ISIS aren't Muslims."

They would say the same about most other Muslims. Their aim is a Caliphate that stretches across the world with their variety of Islam the foundation stone of everything.

The nearest secular equivalent is Trotskyism.

But Trotskyism is a tool of the Capitalists! The Marxists say so!

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Eagles,

Up in the NW, the garden could do with a bit of rain. Where's the nearest gay club?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

ISIS aren't Muslims.

Non-Puritan Roundhead? Ah, a Presbyterian then.

No, you're right. What's next? Not feasting upon the heart of the slain to absorb their courage? Preposterous.

And now for lunch.
    I could never be a Presbyterian simply because Presbyterians is an anagram of Britney Spears.

I'd giggle way too much during services because of that.
  • Options
    theakes said:

Mike: once the contest is over the Labour party will rally and the PLP WILL support. On the evidence of the last few days Corbyn is a stabler better political personality that Smith, who is all over the place. Even now the Labour vote is holding up and rising in places. Think we need a bit of objectivity.

Owen "Softer than Jezza on terrorism" Smith.

What a numpty. To get beaten on terrorism by of all people, Jeremy Corbyn. How does that even happen, unless you're the welsh one hit windbag poundland Owen 'Lets have tea and biscuits with ISIS' Smith.
  • Options

Eye sockets. Sorry. Barbarians have to quaff or swill, not sip. Horns are pretty much compulsory. Clearly you are but an armchair, wannabe barbarian.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    nunu said:

I often get the feeling that economics has a few wannabe celebrities, who make statements and write 'analysis' as though they are fighting for attention like a group of TOWIE 'actors'.

There are certain oft-quoted economists who make me grimace just seeing their names in media reports.

Britain is enjoying a glorious summer and a tourism boom. The EU is not the be-all and end-all. It will increasingly become an irrelevance in global trade and economic vitality, which is why we have wisely chosen to unshackle ourselves and take whatever turbulence the next few years may offer.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, when it comes to classical history, you have the self-confidence of Varro, and the results to match.

This is why I'm cursing myself for getting muddled...now this is going to be a classical history thread again.

For penance I shall go and write the scheme of work for Ethics, which means I shall be reluctantly compelled to read the pompous witterings of Bertrand Russell.
  • Options

Charles said:

Okay. I win. ;)
    I believe Mervyn. He's a friend of the family.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    edited August 2016
    ydoethur said:

I thought TSE was an atheist! I was commenting that whatever the faults of some of their crazier members, they don't generally chuck gays off roofs.
    I'm agnostic 363 days a year. There's two days a year that I have to be a Muslim.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, ah. I am an atheist. Did have a look at Buddhism [technically, Buddhists are also atheists], but was unpersuaded.

It's unwise to treat atheists as a group, because 'membership' is determined in a negative way. It'd be like treating 'non-British' as the same, whether that's Somalia, North Korea or Canada.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I thought TSE was an atheist!
    He has written in a couple of thread-headers recently "As a Muslim, blah, blah blah."
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I'm agnostic 363 days a year. There's two days a year that I have to be a Muslim.
    Christmas Day and Easter Sunday? ;-)
  • Options
    Mr. M, I'm not any sort of barbarian. I'm tremendously civilised.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Someone's forcing you to be a Muslim???
  • Options
    nunu said:

Charles said:

SandraM said:

how much could our schools IPO for?
    There are a few publicly quoted education providers in the US but it's not a sector I follow so no idea!
  • Options

Mr. M, I'm not any sort of barbarian. I'm tremendously civilised.

Indeed you are, Mr Dancer. Indeed you are.
  • Options
    And yet another story of Rio Omnishambles games...

Funding injunction for Games overturned by judge

The initial injunction would have stopped 36m euros (£31m) from Rio mayor Eduardo Paes and 29m euros (£25m) of federal funding being used to fill the gaps in the Rio budget.

Organisers are already three weeks late in paying 8m euros (£7m) of travel grants, meaning up to 50 nations may not be able to afford to send athletes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/disability-sport/37115609
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Eagles,

Up in the NW, the garden could do with a bit of rain. Where's the nearest gay club?

Poptastic in The Village on Canal Street in Manchester, next to the canal.

I used to be a frequent visitor of that truly awesome gay bar. They usually play nothing but 80s/90s (cheesy) pop music.

Poptastic can be difficult to find, wags always cross out the 'C' and 'S' on the Canal Street road sign, so it spells out 'anal treet'
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Did you have mustard with the ham sandwich?
    Detest mustard myself - unless baking cheese scones or other cheese dishes. It transforms them. Alas for Coleman's, a tin of English powder lasts for years.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Eye sockets. Sorry. Barbarians have to quaff or swill, not sip. Horns are pretty much compulsory. Clearly you are but an armchair, wannabe barbarian.
    Usually, the inside of the skull would be lined with silver to prevent the alcohol from spilling out.

King Alboin of the Lombards was an early Darwin award winner. He killed the King of the Gepids, and forced his daughter Rosamund to marry him. At feasts, he'd quaff from Rosamund's father's skull, and liked to taunt her with it. She smashed in his head with an axe while he was sleeping.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Mr. (Geoff) M, no. I tend to have single fillings, although occasionally add a little onion to go with cheese.

Edited extra bit: reminds me of Antoninus Caracalla. It turns out repeatedly threatening to murder your own bodyguard and then having his brother killed on a false pretext doesn't aid one's life expectancy.
  • Options

Mr. Doethur, ah. I am an atheist. Did have a look at Buddhism [technically, Buddhists are also atheists], but was unpersuaded.

It's unwise to treat atheists as a group, because 'membership' is determined in a negative way. It'd be like treating 'non-British' as the same, whether that's Somalia, North Korea or Canada.

I used to be a militant atheist, fighting the good fight against the fundys on alt.atheism. Now I'm more a frustrated would-be Deist with my nose pressed up against the shop window. Would love to go in, but can't.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

For anyone who is yield hunting, Portuguese debt feels like a decent one way bet right now. An almost 3% yield and possible benefit from further QE by the ECB to weaken the Euro.

This will be in the post moral hazard, it doesn't really matter if Portugal is irredeemably bankrupt world?

The sad thing is you are probably right.
This discussion has been closed.