Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After being a polling phenomenon Boris Johnson joins the ne

Comments

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    Bloody hell, this labour husting is utter turgid.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    Moses_ said:
    "Mr Roth said that, without free movement, there would not be full access to the single market."

Doesn't get more straightforward than that.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    edited August 2016
    Mr. Topping, who is this Roth chap, beyond being a German member of the Bundestag?

Mr. Slackbladder, lies, you Blairite wrecker! The fiery enthusiasm of the proletariat for their tribune is undiminished by the scorn of capitalist pigdogs!

Edited extra bit: ahem, wrote 'German MP' at first. Obviously an MdB is a German.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919

But Michael Roth warned the UK could not 'cherry pick' their status
    He repeated no single market access without free movement of people
    Brexit negotiations should be over in time for 2019 MEP elections
    If that's going to be their attitude, then we can manage just fine with WTO rules. German carmakers might want to disagree with the Eurocrats though.

2019 is a good exit date though, which suggests Art. 50 declaration in Q1 or Q2 next year.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2016
    Oh god they had remade Ben-Hur...with Morgan Freeman et al.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Moses_ said:
    "Mr Roth said that, without free movement, there would not be full access to the single market."

I'd be happy with that.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    John_M said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Ironically it was the referendum that killed Boris in the popularity stakes, Leave won but by a narrow enough margin to leave many bitter Remainers who will never forgive him for leading the Leave campaign. By contrast May remaining effectively neutral meant she was best placed to appeal to both the Leave and Remain camps. Boris still has an important role as Foreign Secretary now nonetheless and should focus on that.

Boris was playing student politics with his fellow Bullingdon club member. In his own words he's 'not an outer' and didn't expect to win. He deserves to be unpopular.
    His political gameplaying has cost him certainly
    I'm sure his £135,527 salary + other engagements will enable him to struggle on through that vale of tears.
    I refer you to Othello: Act 3, scene 3, 155–161
    Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,
    Is the immediate jewel of their souls.
    Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
    'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
    But he that filches from me my good name
    Robs me of that which not enriches him,
    And makes me poor indeed.

And, I suggest, many, many more people see Boris as untrustworthy.
    I take your point (and have used that quote many times). However, Boris doesn't have to associate with all the 'haters' (to use my daughter's term). He's certainly Marmite, but those that like him, really like him.

Personally, while I'd count my fingers after shaking hands, I would love to have a few drinks with BoJo. It would be entertaining.
    Yes, agree with your last paragraph. Rogues are often good company!
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, saw an ad for that on Youtube the other day. Looks good, if you're a CGI artist. Otherwise, not sure what the point is.
  • Options

Mr. Topping, who is this Roth chap, beyond being a German member of the Bundestag?

Mr. Slackbladder, lies, you Blairite wrecker! The fiery enthusiasm of the proletariat for their tribune is undiminished by the scorn of capitalist pigdogs!

Edited extra bit: ahem, wrote 'German MP' at first. Obviously an MdB is a German.

He's Germany's Minister for Europe.

So quite an important person when it comes to sorting out Brexit.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, significant, yes, but one voice amongst many.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, significant, yes, but one voice amongst many.

When Dan Hannan and the Mail thought he was really important and influential last night, until they actually read/heard what he had said.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
    Bloody Jocks..

'Olympic Cycling Star Skinner Tells Leave.EU: Don't Use My Picture'

http://tinyurl.com/hb94qy7
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

John_M said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Ironically it was the referendum that killed Boris in the popularity stakes, Leave won but by a narrow enough margin to leave many bitter Remainers who will never forgive him for leading the Leave campaign. By contrast May remaining effectively neutral meant she was best placed to appeal to both the Leave and Remain camps. Boris still has an important role as Foreign Secretary now nonetheless and should focus on that.

Boris was playing student politics with his fellow Bullingdon club member. In his own words he's 'not an outer' and didn't expect to win. He deserves to be unpopular.
    His political gameplaying has cost him certainly
    I'm sure his £135,527 salary + other engagements will enable him to struggle on through that vale of tears.
    I refer you to Othello: Act 3, scene 3, 155–161
    Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,
    Is the immediate jewel of their souls.
    Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
    'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
    But he that filches from me my good name
    Robs me of that which not enriches him,
    And makes me poor indeed.

And, I suggest, many, many more people see Boris as untrustworthy.
    I take your point (and have used that quote many times). However, Boris doesn't have to associate with all the 'haters' (to use my daughter's term). He's certainly Marmite, but those that like him, really like him.

Personally, while I'd count my fingers after shaking hands, I would love to have a few drinks with BoJo. It would be entertaining.
    Yes, agree with your last paragraph. Rogues are often good company!
    I spent a half day accompanying Boris, both in public and behind the scenes. I think it's fair to say that he is a big picture man, and very reliant upon his advisers. He does however do the front man bit brilliantly.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,758
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

I am not even sure what Job Boris has, I think he is F sec, but I wouldn't swear to it.. I haven't heard a peep out of him of late. Why would anyone trust Boris after his about turn.

He is acting PM this week, while May is on holiday.

Cripes!
    Her refusal to appoint an official deputy could just be her most serious mistake since taking office.

That said, unless she and Hammond conspired to take holidays at different times, which also wouldn't look good to Leavers, it's hard to see how Boris week could have been avoided.
    It's in the middle of the summer, nothing is happening - and if anything major happens she'll be on the first plane back.

These stories every year about "who is running the country" when the PM has a holiday are the epitome of silly season.
    She was doing nothing when she was here, who would notice any difference.
    Really Malc.. unlike your First Minister who does a lot of shrieking but is in fact completely impotent.. Mrs May has had a blinder.. I doubt she will be bothering to include Ms Sturgeon on her tour to greet world leaders..
    Dream on SR , another Tory dud, she will be famous for doing nothing, Nicola has a far higher profile.
    Theresa May can certainly pick up some tricks from Nicola Sturgeon. No-one does inactivity more masterfully than the SNP. Ms Sturgeon is the most consummate non-operator.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

As @TSE just said, the, um, Minister for Europe. What does he know. The curious thing is that the Mail spins it (and Dan Hannan also, although I haven't read the exchange) as though this is somehow special status which many might take to mean bending of the rules on free movement/single market.

It is not.

Interestingly also, prior to the vote, I did say several times that an EEA/Norway-type deal had been dismissed as not appropriate for an economy the size of the UK. It seems that this is indeed the case, and EEA will not be on the table. Whether for better or worse we shall see.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Claimaint count for July (first full post referendum data) is down by 8k, that's right, in the uncertainty of the post referendum climate, 8,000 fewer people claimed unemployment benefits (JSA/UC) than in the previous month. Again, this points to a downturn being largely sentiment based rather than anything that might trouble us in the long term.

Two questions. 1) How this compare with the same quarter in previous years? and 2) How many non-claimants are very low paid “self employed” ZHC workers and the like? And a sub to 2. How do those figures compare with the same quaret previously?previous
  • Options
    Uh oh.... Owen Smith didn't get that football question right.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, it's the nature of men to argue those who agree with them are wise and important, and those who don't are foolish and insignificant.
  • Options

What was the question? Who plays at the Emirates type question, or who was the leading scorer in Division 2 in th 1967-68 season?
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, it's the nature of men to argue those who agree with them are wise and important, and those who don't are foolish and insignificant.

That's what makes the Mail's and Dan Hannan's premature ejaculation last night so much more fun.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

TOPPING said:

Moses_ said:

I'd be happy with that.
    Not this again.

It has been the European motto for twenty years, hardly surprising it comes up now and again.

It is not a demand that any Member State have free movement, just that free movement should be proportional to market access. Both of which are sliding scales, from Treaty right (quantitative restrictions) through measures having equivalent effect, to positive harmonisation, and then to true equivalence.

What the EU is also far more likely to countenance is any temporary derogation from that proportionality, whether that "temporary" derogation is for one day or eight years.
  • Options
    It's not clear to me what Leavers see in Boris Johnson, that they rate him so highly. Is it simply because Leave won and some glory reflects back on him?

Disclosure: I have always been impervious to the charms of this one time popular politician.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Moses_ said:

I'd be happy with that.
    Not this again.

It has been the European motto for twenty years, hardly surprising it comes up now and again.

It is not a demand that any Member State have free movement, just that free movement should be proportional to market access. Both of which are sliding scales, from Treaty right (quantitative restrictions) through measures having equivalent effect, to positive harmonisation, and then to true equivalence.

What the EU is also far more likely to countenance is any temporary derogation from that proportionality, whether that "temporary" derogation is for one day or eight years.
    I know, I'm just setting out the sort of Brexit I'd like to see

1) Free movement of people (with guaranteed jobs)

2) Access and membership of the single market

3) Remaining part of the customs union
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

I am not even sure what Job Boris has, I think he is F sec, but I wouldn't swear to it.. I haven't heard a peep out of him of late. Why would anyone trust Boris after his about turn.

He is acting PM this week, while May is on holiday.

Cripes!
    Her refusal to appoint an official deputy could just be her most serious mistake since taking office.

That said, unless she and Hammond conspired to take holidays at different times, which also wouldn't look good to Leavers, it's hard to see how Boris week could have been avoided.
    It's in the middle of the summer, nothing is happening - and if anything major happens she'll be on the first plane back.

These stories every year about "who is running the country" when the PM has a holiday are the epitome of silly season.
    She was doing nothing when she was here, who would notice any difference.
    Really Malc.. unlike your First Minister who does a lot of shrieking but is in fact completely impotent.. Mrs May has had a blinder.. I doubt she will be bothering to include Ms Sturgeon on her tour to greet world leaders..
    Dream on SR , another Tory dud, she will be famous for doing nothing, Nicola has a far higher profile.
    Largely due to her success as one half of the krankies?
    I never knew that. Which one was she?
  • Options

What was the question? Who plays at the Emirates type question, or who was the leading scorer in Division 2 in th 1967-68 season?
    The score in the Belgium/Wales game in Euros
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    TOPPING said:

Moses_ said:

As "not full" has a range from 0 to 99.999% it does, actually, get a lot more straightforward than that.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    I don't want free movement. I don't particularly want single market access either. It does them much more good than it does us - and they know it.
  • Options

Woophs...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
  • Options
    edited August 2016

TOPPING said:

Moses_ said:

I'd be happy with that.
    Not this again.

Which, of course, is point {100%, 100%} as it were.

It's the common misinterpretation of the European point of view to assume it's that or {0%, 0%}. Not you specifically.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942

I'd have answered thus (If I was Smith)

"Ooh crikey, you've put me on the spot here haven't you. I'll be honest, and this takes some saying as a welshman but I can't remember the exact scoreline. Bale was fantastic though, and it was a great victory for Wales."
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

I don't want free movement. I don't particularly want single market access either. It does them much more good than it does us - and they know it.

Why wouldn't you want to give British businesses and citizens the widest choice of goods and services to buy possible?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'd have answered thus (If I was Smith)

"Ooh crikey, you've put me on the spot here haven't you. I'll be honest, and this takes some saying as a welshman but I can't remember the exact scoreline. Bale was fantastic though, and it was a great victory for Wales."
    Did he at least remember that Wales won?

I did get the score right, but it did take more thought than being put on the spot would allow.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Moses_ said:

I'd be happy with that.
    Not this again.

It's the common misinterpretation of the European point of view to assume it's that or {0%, 0%}. Not you specifically.
    I call it the BINO option.
  • Options
    Has anyone read Rubicon on the last days of the Roman Empire? I'm looking for reading material for my next flight to Australia...
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

TOPPING said:

Moses_ said:

As "not full" has a range from 0 to 99.999% it does, actually, get a lot more straightforward than that.
    That is true. We shall await details.
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, I haven't, but if you mean the Western Empire than the Later Roman Empire by Ammianus Marcellinus (goes down to around Valentinian the Great, I think) is a very good history.

http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/review-later-roman-empire-by-ammianus.html
  • Options

Mr. 1000, I haven't, but if you mean the Western Empire than the Later Roman Empire by Ammianus Marcellinus (goes down to around Valentinian the Great, I think) is a very good history.

http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/review-later-roman-empire-by-ammianus.html

Thank you. I shall acquire it for my 24 hours on Qantas.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Has anyone read Rubicon on the last days of the Roman Empire? I'm looking for reading material for my next flight to Australia...

Not on (Roman history) topic. I've just finished Charles Townshend's two Irish books (on the uprising 1916 & on independence 1918-23).

V good.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

TOPPING said:

Moses_ said:

I'd be happy with that.
    Not this again.

I call it the BINO option.
    I call it the traitor's option.
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, np.

As an aside, it's that book in which Ammianus Marcellinus derides Ed Miliband's energy price freeze policy. [Well, he condemns all fixing of commodity prices, saying they lead to shortage and famine].
  • Options
    After all the highs of the previous few days, from what I can see today is going to be very quiet for Team GB.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    rcs1000 said:

Why wouldn't you want to give British businesses and citizens the widest choice of goods and services to buy possible?
    Hmm. The single market doesn't necessarily do that, since in relative terms it reduces access to non-EU goods and services; and without a single market the choice is still there, even if EU goods and services become dearer.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Can't remember who tipped Kenny as SPOTY, or, indeed, if I bet on it, but 11.1m was the peak audience watching his gold medal victory last night. So, could be a sound bet.

Edited extra bit: 7 and 8 with Ladbrokes (Kenny/Trott) with 1/5 odds for top 3. Surely one of them, at least, must be top 3?
  • Options
    SeanT said:
    It's one of the scariest articles I've read for a long time.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

rcs1000 said:

Hmm. The single market doesn't necessarily do that, since in relative terms it reduces access to non-EU goods and services; and without a single market the choice is still there, even if EU goods and services become dearer.
    That's not true. Norway and Switzerland have access to non single market goods and services according to the trade deals they've negitiated with non-EU states,
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276

After all the highs of the previous few days, from what I can see today is going to be very quiet for Team GB.

There's a sailing gold that's pretty much guaranteed - they just need to finish to claim it.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    wasd said:

There's a sailing gold that's pretty much guaranteed - they just need to finish to claim it.
    It has come to something when a day only winning one Gold is a very quiet one....Atlanta any medal was headline news.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193

Can't remember who tipped Kenny as SPOTY, or, indeed, if I bet on it, but 11.1m was the peak audience watching his gold medal victory last night. So, could be a sound bet.

Edited extra bit: 7 and 8 with Ladbrokes (Kenny/Trott) with 1/5 odds for top 3. Surely one of them, at least, must be top 3?

I'm on Trott each way at 14/1, but do wish I'd got on Kenny as well. I can't understand how Murray is evens, surely it's somebody else's turn?
  • Options
    Mr. 86, Wimbledon and Olympic gold is quite good.

On the other hand, he's won it before. Kenny and Trott also benefit from the couple angle, meaning they'll get more coverage than either would separately. Plus, the keirin final was very dramatic. Not as long, but perhaps the cycling equivalent of the Davis-Taylor final frame.
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276

wasd said:

It has come to something when a day only winning one Gold is a very quiet one....Atlanta any medal was headline news.
    It's nice, isn't it.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220
    rcs1000 said:

I have. I really enjoyed it.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Ishmael_X said:

TOPPING said:

Moses_ said:

It's unlikely to be a straightforward sliding scale. The minimum freedom of movement concession would be an agreement that requires freedom of movement, but which can terminated should the UK decide to pull the plug. Which is roughly speaking the situation the Swiss are in. The UK may or may not accept that as a nominally temporary arrangement which can be stopped at any time. This is the fudge option. There would probably have to be a couple of bits of window dressing in addition.

Then it comes down to how much deviation from current obligations would be allowable, for the UK to remain inside the single market. Strong hints from Germany and others suggest very little deviation would allowed.

Lastly what's the best deal the UK can get from the outside through an FTA. That's uncharted territory, with the one probability that nothing satisfactory is likely to happen soon.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Looking at the schedule, it probably going to be the weekend before we have any chance to have a day with a big haul of medals, with the likes of the boxing, hockey, 5000m and relays (athletics) and Taekwondo.

Might actually get some work done then.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

I can always read two books on the fall of the Roman Empire...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:
    That is truly horrifying.

Wouldn't have taken much for there to have been a Hillsborough style crush there, in an old terminal, of corridors with tight security around all the exits. Hopefully woken a lot of people up to how to deal with something similar.
  • Options

On the other hand, he's won it before. Kenny and Trott also benefit from the couple angle, meaning they'll get more coverage than either would separately. Plus, the keirin final was very dramatic. Not as long, but perhaps the cycling equivalent of the Davis-Taylor final frame.

Those viewing figures are quite something. I hadn't planned to stay up but did, I was hoping that most people had gone to bed after Trott. At least she got the front pages to herself (from my selfish point of view!).
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I'm on Trott each way at 14/1, but do wish I'd got on Kenny as well. I can't understand how Murray is evens, surely it's somebody else's turn?
    I've made my first SPOTY bet - laying Mo Farah @ 6.4.

He did the double in 2012 and ended up 4th. Also last year at the worlds and finished 8th.

The odds look far too short to me considering he'll be up against Murray, Kenny, Peaty?, Whitlock, Trott, Laugher and others.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:
    That is truly horrifying.

Wouldn't have taken much for there to have been a Hillsborough style crush there, in an old terminal, of corridors with tight security around all the exits. Hopefully woken a lot of people up to how to deal with something similar.
    I think that the attack at the Stade de France last November could have gone that way, it may even have been the intent of the bombers to cause such a stampede. It would have been pandemonium if the bombers had got inside, far more people could have been killed in the panic than by the bombs themselves.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Why would they stop being able to buy stuff.
  • Options
    There was something I didn’t quite catch about our sporting stars birthdays. IIRC they’re around March time, whereas Gladwell in “Outliers” talked about sports stars being picked from the strongerst in their early academic years, hence tend to be born Sept to Dec. Anyone recall when and where the comment was made?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

He did the double in 2012 and ended up 4th. Also last year at the worlds and finished 8th.

The odds look far too short to me considering he'll be up against Murray, Kenny, Peaty?, Whitlock, Trott, Laugher and others.
    And the drugs scandal. Okay, he did nothing wrong, but enough people will be put off. It did for Christine Ohuruogu too.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Inside the single market, I could buy goods or services from a French or Spanish manufacturer on the same terms as a British one. We can - in addition, and as the Norwegians have done for example - sign additional free trade agreements with other countries.
  • Options

There was something I didn’t quite catch about our sporting stars birthdays. IIRC they’re around March time, whereas Gladwell in “Outliers” talked about sports stars being picked from the strongerst in their early academic years, hence tend to be born Sept to Dec. Anyone recall when and where the comment was made?

March 23 - Hoy, Redgrave, Kenny and some others too
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

And the drugs scandal. Okay, he did nothing wrong, but enough people will be put off. It did for Christine Ohuruogu too.
    Yep, the women's 10k being won by an obviously doped athlete won't help his cause either.
    Will look to top up if he shortens after his 5k win - for the moment laying £15 @ 6.4.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Ishmael_X said:

TOPPING said:

Moses_ said:

It's unlikely to be a straightforward sliding scale. The minimum freedom of movement concession would be an agreement that requires freedom of movement, but which can terminated should the UK decide to pull the plug. Which is roughly speaking the situation the Swiss are in. The UK may or may not accept that as a nominally temporary arrangement which can be stopped at any time. This is the fudge option. There would probably have to be a couple of bits of window dressing in addition.

Then it comes down to how much deviation from current obligations would be allowable, for the UK to remain inside the single market. Strong hints from Germany and others suggest very little deviation would allowed.

Lastly what's the best deal the UK can get from the outside through an FTA. That's uncharted territory, with the one probability that nothing satisfactory is likely to happen soon.
    As the two most likely outcomes are fudge or get stuck in the mud in a long drawn out and unsatisfactory negotiation, the fudge seems sweeter. However Theresa May is totally not in the frame of mind for fudge, I think. Which means she will likely go for the negotiation. Will fudge still be available when the negotiations stick? Leavers are likely to blame the EU for not giving what we want. It could get very bad tempered.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2016

MaxPB said:

Claimaint count for July (first full post referendum data) is down by 8k, that's right, in the uncertainty of the post referendum climate, 8,000 fewer people claimed unemployment benefits (JSA/UC) than in the previous month. Again, this points to a downturn being largely sentiment based rather than anything that might trouble us in the long term.

Two questions. 1) How this compare with the same quarter in previous years? and 2) How many non-claimants are very low paid “self employed” ZHC workers and the like? And a sub to 2. How do those figures compare with the same quaret previously?previous
    The labour market figures are unequivocally good all round. Record employment (again). 616k more employed since June '15. 23.2m ftes, up 374k on last year.

However, those numbers are almost all pre EU-ref, bar the claimant count.

I've written before how the stats hide some serious massaging, you've covered the basics; dodgy self employed, ludicrously high long term sick numbers, high levels of economic activity etc.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Surely the value in the SPOTY market right now is to lay Murray at 2.1?
    Is he really going to be the standout name of the Olympics for many? He also won it last year.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Inside the single market, I could buy goods or services from a French or Spanish manufacturer on the same terms as a British one. We can - in addition, and as the Norwegians have done for example - sign additional free trade agreements with other countries.
    On the other hand, on Brexit Day we immediately lose the EU-negotiated free-trade agreements with other countries, so even on the most optimistic scenario where we are super-zealous and super-efficient in negotiating replacement agreements, there is likely to be a prolonged period where the net effect is negative.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Gladwell's analysis is rather flawed e.g. his hockey analysis, "elite" players are actually overwhelmingly found to come from later in the selection year, not the start as he claims. He (incorrectly) equates professional with elite. There are a number of other issues with that age stuff as well.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    rcs1000 said:

It's excellent, but it's about the last days of the Republic, rather than the Empire.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

March 23 - Hoy, Redgrave, Kenny and some others too
    Thanks. Wonder how interested they are/were in team sports!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

On the other hand, on Brexit Day we immediately lose the EU-negotiated free-trade agreements with other countries, so even on the most optimistic scenario where we are super-zealous and super-efficient in negotiating replacement agreements, there is likely to be a prolonged period where the net effect is negative.
    I agree.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Sandpit said:

Is he really going to be the standout name of the Olympics for many? He also won it last year.

Thanks, that looks a goody. I'm on!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

It's excellent, but it's about the last days of the Republic, rather than the Empire.
    Ah ha...
  • Options
    Someone please tell me this is genuine.

https://twitter.com/youngvulgarian/status/765853053643784192
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Sandpit said:

I prefer laying Farah because he won't win.

Murray... might.

Nevertheless he is too short as you say.

+.01 Murray
    -68.30 Farah
    +26.32 The field is how I've gone.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320
    PlatoSaid said:

"Above all, it is crucial to see that the assassinated Leon Trotsky was a renegade, not an innocent. He had led the Red Army during the Bolshevik revolution, and was as determined as Lenin had been to wipe out the Mensheviks, whose more moderate democratic socialism had first succeeded the Tsarist autocracy."

Wrong on several counts;

1) The Petrograd Soviet had a large Menshevik presence, but it was not 'democratic' in that sense nor is it clear cut that it 'succeeded' the Tsar. When the Soviet took control of the Provisional Government in June 1917, it was the Trudoviki and the Socialist Revolutionaries who had most posts, including that of PM.

2) Trotsky did not lead the Red Army during the Bolshevik Revolution (indeed, it didn't technically exist until 1918) - he was in overall charge of operations in Petrograd as the Chairman of the Petrograd Soviet, and when Lenin formed his government was Commissar for Foreign Affairs negotiating the treaty of Brest-Litovsk.

3) He actually led the Red Army during the Civil War, which is where I think the confusion comes from. This was from 1918-1925. By 1918, the Mensheviks were an irrelevance. In November 1917, in elections to the Constituent Assembly, they gained 3% of the vote and 18 seats, one seat more than the Kadets but fourth in terms of the popular vote. The Whites against whom Trotsky fought contained more Tsarists than Mensheviks.

4) As long as Trotsky was involved, the Mensheviks could not be wiped out, as he was one. Although he he officially renounced them in August 1917, he was still putting forward many of their ideas as late as 1927, including on industrial reform and the position of the agricultural workforce. That in itself points out that they were hardly 'moderate'.

Indeed, the chief difference between Bolsheviks and Mensheviks was that the former wanted to seize power by force using the Red Guards and the others believed they could take it be stealth via state institutions.

Another nail in the Telegraph's coffin?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I haven't noticed any difficulty purchasing items from outside the EU. Wine from New Zealand, electronics from Korea and clothes from India seem to find their way into my shopping basket somehow.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, I mostly agree.

The only concern on Kenny/Trott is that they will likely split the cycling vote [which is hefty, although some may go for Wiggins]. Murray will get all the tennis vote.

I agree Farah's nowhere. Hamilton won't win either [F1's hit and miss, and he'll be having another consecutive title with a dominant car].
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    rcs1000 said:

If you mean "Rubicon: The Triumph and Tragedy of the Roman Republic" (Tom Holland), Republic != Empire, there's a 1.5 millennium lag between the two events.

Gibbon's Decline and Fall is still a cracking read, and even the abridged versions will see you through to Australia.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

I can always read two books on the fall of the Roman Empire...
    I have a lot of books on the classical world which I am very slowly (very slowly indeed - I blame PB!) reading. Having a daughter studying this stuff has meant that more is being acquired because she keeps pointing me to more stuff. It is all very wonderful though.

One of my bucket list ambitions - indeed the only one I really cared about and now sadly never to be fulfilled - was to travel all round the ancient Roman world: from Tunisia to Libya (to see Leptis Magna) and into Syria via a train journey from Istanbul to Damascus via Aleppo. A real shame. Even once the wars are over, so much will have been lost and I doubt that it will be safe for a woman traveler for many years to come.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2016

ttps://twitter.com/youngvulgarian/status/765853053643784192

Tis real, I’ve a friend who dose the exact same thing when rattled, most odd, we always laugh
  • Options

The only concern on Kenny/Trott is that they will likely split the cycling vote [which is hefty, although some may go for Wiggins]. Murray will get all the tennis vote.

I agree Farah's nowhere. Hamilton won't win either [F1's hit and miss, and he'll be having another consecutive title with a dominant car].

The problem with Hamilton is that he is currently 100-1 to lay !

Hopefully he will shorten a bit from that to allow some profit taking on the rest.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320

https://twitter.com/youngvulgarian/status/765853053643784192

'Can I finish, please?' Sounds like a campaign slogan given the circumstances.

If that's his real voice though...
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

Not to mention cycling has a rather notoriously disciplined voting community for such events.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I haven't noticed any difficulty purchasing items from outside the EU. Wine from New Zealand, electronics from Korea and clothes from India seem to find their way into my shopping basket somehow.
    This might help your understanding.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

rcs1000 said:

If you mean "Rubicon: The Triumph and Tragedy of the Roman Republic" (Tom Holland), Republic != Empire, there's a 1.5 millennium lag between the two events.

Gibbon's Decline and Fall is still a cracking read, and even the abridged versions will see you through to Australia.
    Basically, I'm an idiot. But an idiot who's about to be slightly better informed on the fall of the Roman Republic.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Murray... might.
    No-one has won it three times, or retained the title. He's way too short at 11/10, the danger is the cycling vote gets split and lets him through the middle.
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/sports-personality/19587151 < list of past winners.
  • Options
    So far as non olympic athletes go, the one that might get into the final selection is Kell Brook, IF he beats Golovkin.

That's a huge ask though and will still be v tough for him in an olympic year.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Telegraph reporting that with the putput event, the officials only had video from one bad angle and it was Team GB who provided extra footage to save Kenny...and in the second false start they did the same to save the German.

Again, at the biggest event that only comes around every 4 years and the availability of cheap high spec cameras, how didn't the officials have access to their own?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Murray... might.
    No-one has won it three times, or retained the title. He's way too short at 11/10, the danger is the cycling vote gets split and lets him through the middle.
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/sports-personality/19587151 < list of past winners.
    Well I've laid him back to zero :)
  • Options

Tis real, I’ve a friend who dose the exact same thing when rattled, most odd, we always laugh
    I go up two, three octaves.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Murray has already won Wimbledon and Spoty. Mo couldn’t win the last time, despite all the hype behind his back story. Kenny and Trott have it all, Gold medals galore, Olympic firsts and a charming romance to boot. – If they could stand on the same ticket as a couple they’d sweep all before them. The difficulty will be choosing which one will be crowned SPOTY.

Ms Trott is my bet.
  • Options
    If SPOTY was actually about what it said on the tin, you would think Trott should walk it. Most successful female British Olympian, great back story and bags of personality.
  • Options
    Frustrating post today. Got a second letter this year saying my account interest rate had been cut (citing Carney's stupid decision) and the new folders I ordered to keep paperwork in better order are a finger's width too large to fit with the others [small drawer]. Humbug!
  • Options

Nerves. When people are nervous they speak from the top of their throat in a tight strangulated way.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Hold on.

It's precisely because the UK wanted to buy those things from outside the EU that we Brexited, isn't it?

Now you are saying we could do it all along?

Gah!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The problem with Hamilton is that he is currently 100-1 to lay !

Hopefully he will shorten a bit from that to allow some profit taking on the rest.
    Hamilton's a back at 100/1. If he wins the title he'll become the joint third greatest driver of all time (level with Vettel and Prost, behind Fangio and Schumacher. The championship also finishes about a week before the nominations are decided.

Also, if anyone finds a market for overseas personality, Usain Bolt's gonna be value at about 1/20!
This discussion has been closed.