Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nigel Farage: the Comeback, Comeback, Comeback Kid?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454

I consider myself a very intelligent chap, but bugger me with a fishfork, I'll never understand how the Ominium works

"I consider myself a very intelligent man"

Truly your pomposity has no equal.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,234

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

I mostly agree with SeanF here.

First, it is really absent-minded to think that we are immune from having disgusting "normal attitudes" (for instance, in the early 1950s tolerating homosexuality would have been regarded by many as un-British and indeed accepting illegality), and if we attempt to suppress disagreements with whatever we think at any one time, we will inhibit positive change as well.

Second, it is an important part of British culture that we are free to differ in ways not actually harming others. I think fundamentalist Christians and fundamentalist Muslims are both pretty strange, but I don't want the Government telling us that one is OK and the other isn't, or indeed that they are both wrong. It's not a matter for Theresa or Jeremy to decide.

Most importantly, it dangerously trivialises the real abuse if we lump it together with social attitudes. If a girl suffers FGM, she has been subject to horrible physical abuse, and long prison sentences are appropriate. If a girl is shunned by her family for the way she dresses or the people she meets, that's regrettable, but we can counter it with supportive social institutions where she can find more agreeable alternatives. FGM has to be countered by coercive State action. Attitudes, not.
    We have a law criminalising emotional abuse and pressure. It deals with attitudes and the consequences in terms of actions of such attitudes.

Are you suggesting that this law should not be used to deal with such abuse within minority communities?

If a girl is shunned and abandoned or facing emotional pressure not to meet her friends she is being harmed. This happens to those who are under-age. Children. Muslims should have no expectation of us tolerating behaviour by them which harms their children just because they are Muslim. You appear to discount the very real harm that is done to such girls and how it can be on a continuum, starting with pressure not to go out and leading to forced marriage, rape, beatings, imprisonment and, in some cases, murder. Not trivial. And too often arising from attitudes that too many people have turned a blind eye to out of misguided tolerance.

I suggest you read Yasmin Alibhai Brown's recent writings on this very subject. She has plenty of evidence of what actually goes on in the Asian community which is very far from your rather rosy-eyed view.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

The gift that keeps on giving

Jeremy Corbyn used his position in Parliament to call for the “complete rehabilitation” of Leon Trotsky, it has emerged despite dismissing concerns about hard-Left entryism as “nonsense”.

In 1988, the Labour leader – then a backbencher – demanded the Marxist revolutionary and other communists have their achievements formally recognised by the Russian state.

Mr Corbyn was one of a series of prominent left-wingers who put their name to an Early Day Motion, a form of parliamentary petition with no standing in law, which made the call.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/15/jeremy-corbyn-called-for-complete-rehabilitation-of-leon-trotsky/

Vastly ridiculous. Did Jezza really think in 1988 that a Parliamentary EDM would alter the views of the Soviet Politburo?

Quite apart from Trotsky being a nasty piece of work, obviously.
    It's a beautiful insight into Jeremy's world view. A worthy sentiment that has precisely zero leverage in the real world.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    NoEasyDay said:

I consider myself a very intelligent chap, but bugger me with a fishfork, I'll never understand how the Ominium works

He was clearly joking.
  • Options
    3-0 in the hockey....
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Laura in last lap two left
  • Options
    Laura trott slaughters the opposition
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited August 2016
    Laura Trott what a boss....
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Laura Trott wins the Omnium elimination race. Useful points to carry forward.
  • Options
    NoEasyDay said:

Poor thick No Easy Day, who can't even copy and paste properly.

I said chap, you changed it to man.

I'm not going to engage with someone who cannot copy and paste properly.

Your shoes have Velcro on them right?

Sheesh man, you need to get a sense of humour.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    NoEasyDay said:

I shall have to try harder.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,133
    edited August 2016
    On the subject of excommunication, I have a friend who last saw or spoke to his parents 20 years ago. They were members of a Presbyterian church, and super religious. He married a catholic girl in a catholic church. And that was enough for them to completely cut him out of their lives. He tried to reestablish contact after the birth of their first child, but they weren't interested.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,011
    That was astounding from Trott.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

NoEasyDay said:

He was clearly joking.
    Read his previous posts over the last eight of nine years........
  • Options
    Cav's mistake in the men's version of this event is what lost him the gold.
  • Options

NoEasyDay said:

Time for a face off via the medium of PB thread headers.
  • Options
    NoEasyDay said:

Jonathan said:

NoEasyDay said:

He was clearly joking.
    He's no John Prescott I grant you.
  • Options
    Laura Trott

It's her third event of the day and she puts the hammer down like that... Like wow.
  • Options

NoEasyDay said:

no your doing fine.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

NoEasyDay said:

Jonathan said:

NoEasyDay said:

He was clearly joking.
    Yup, I'm a working class Northerner, you'd never catch me playing croquet like Prescott
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Laura Trott

It's her third event of the day and she puts the hammer down like that... Like wow.

Can you imagine a friendly couples games night with Laura Trott / Jason Kenny vs Becky James / George North....
  • Options

Jonathan said:

NoEasyDay said:

Jonathan said:

NoEasyDay said:

He was clearly joking.
    Yup, I'm a working class Northerner, you'd never catch me playing croquet like Prescott
    You've got his looks at least. Some comfort despite not quite having the full package.
  • Options
    When does the ladies Ominium conclude?
  • Options
    I am in a bad mood because I've had to look at Farage all day. He excelled at smug before Brexit. Now with the tash he is a class apart.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,482
    edited August 2016

Jonathan said:

NoEasyDay said:

Jonathan said:

NoEasyDay said:

He was clearly joking.
    Yup, I'm a working class Northerner,
    PUBLIC SCHOOL TWIT, more like :lol:
  • Options

NoEasyDay said:

I didn't copy and paste......

It seems you are also a pedant. To pick on chap or man. or was it bloke or fellow or geezer the point remains the same.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    seven people - including an 11-year-old girl - are injured after an overhead TV camera crashes to the ground (in the Olympic Park)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3742080/Horror-Olympic-Park-four-spectators-left-bloodied-shaken-control-drone-camera-collapses-crashes-them.html

Well you can't say its ever dull in Rio...if you aren't been held up by armed gunmen or getting the windows of your bus shot out, you have tv cameras coming down on you, or having to swim through sewage or dive into swamp water....the best you can hope for is an empty stadium to witness you lifetime of hard work and dedication.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Laura Trott

Can you imagine a friendly couples games night with Laura Trott / Jason Kenny vs Becky James / George North....
    :lol:
  • Options
    @JBcommentator: I imagine the bigwigs at British cycling will be trying to convince Laura Trott and Jason Kenny to have about 20 kids !
  • Options

NoEasyDay said:

oh and i missed a point

"I'm not going to engage with someone who cannot copy and paste properly."

well clearly you did engage....
  • Options
    edited August 2016

@JBcommentator: I imagine the bigwigs at British cycling will be trying to convince Laura Trott and Jason Kenny to have about 20 kids !

Imagine what is going to happen to that horse that won the disco dancing (again)....

Few years ago, I went on a tour of a stud farm in Kentucky. We were introduced to some horse that apparently was a huge deal in American track racing and had never lost a race in his career.

He was $250k a go when he started, but apparently over a number of years, none of the horses he had fathered were any good at all.
  • Options

First three races were this evening - tomorrow evening, another three including finale. I think?
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Perhaps they will do what they do with Bulls for future pedigrees :smirk:

Edit - or like that American horse up thread
  • Options

First three races were this evening - tomorrow evening, another three including finale. I think?
    Thanks
  • Options

http://www.cpgb-ml.org/index.php?secName=leaflets&subName=display&leafletId=89

Trotskyism is a tool of the capitalists ... Leninism is a weapon for the workers!
    First issued on 5 July 2012.
    [excerpt]
    Trotskyism is a thoroughly counter-revolutionary trend marked by double-speak and cynical hypocrisy. It practises sectarianism and factionalism while calling for unity; it supports imperialist wars against the oppressed while mouthing phrases about anti-imperialism; it facilitates attacks on the working class through its cretinous support for the Labour party, while pretending to oppose such attacks; it supports counter-revolutions everywhere in the name of defending revolution.

Right in essence and left in form is the best way of describing this malicious tendency, which everywhere sows confusion and division in the working-class movement, making us weaker to defend ourselves against the onslaught of imperialism.

If we wish to liberate our world from imperialist exploitation and oppression, we must first rid our movement of all pro-imperialist, social-democratic ideology, not least the r-r-revolutionary garbage of Trotskyism.

http://www.cpgb-ml.org/download/leaflets/trotskyism_20141027.pdf
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Imagine what is going to happen to that horse that won the disco dancing (again)....

Few years ago, I went on a tour of a stud farm in Kentucky. We were introduced to some horse that apparently was a huge deal in American track racing and had never lost a race in his career.

He was $250k a go when he started, but apparently over a number of years, none of the horses he had fathered were any good at all.
    Valegro is not, as they say, entire.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Valegro is not, as they say, entire.
    Ohhhh...well frozen microwave meals it is then.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

The gift that keeps on giving

Jeremy Corbyn used his position in Parliament to call for the “complete rehabilitation” of Leon Trotsky, it has emerged despite dismissing concerns about hard-Left entryism as “nonsense”.

In 1988, the Labour leader – then a backbencher – demanded the Marxist revolutionary and other communists have their achievements formally recognised by the Russian state.

Mr Corbyn was one of a series of prominent left-wingers who put their name to an Early Day Motion, a form of parliamentary petition with no standing in law, which made the call.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/15/jeremy-corbyn-called-for-complete-rehabilitation-of-leon-trotsky/

There wasn't a Russian state in 1988...
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Yeah but he had fun and it's all about notches on the bed post stable door.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,234
    Moses_ said:

Er....Horses sent to stud have very little fun. You might want to look into precisely how his "fathering" happens.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Moses_ said:

I tell you, he lived in bloody luxury...had own hydro-therapy pool, 7 Mexicans attended to his every need. Not sure now he was a known firer of blanks how long the royal treatment was going to last though!
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Thanks
    Tomorrow is the last day of track cycling. Women's sprint, men's Keirin and the end of the women's Omnium.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Thanks
    Tomorrow is the last day of track cycling. Women's sprint, men's Keirin and the end of the women's Omnium.
    3 possible Golds tomorrow in the velodrome. Laura Trott, Katy March/Becky James & Kenny.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Cyclefree said:

Moses_ said:

Er....Horses sent to stud have very little fun. You might want to look into precisely how his "fathering" happens.
    Yes in all seriousness, they did explain the process warts and all....I have to say I was quite shocked by some of the methods they used to ensure that those big fees resulted in the desired outcome as often as possible.

Although, at this place I visited outside of the forced "banging", they did live in amazing conditions due to the level of the fees involved.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,140

seven people - including an 11-year-old girl - are injured after an overhead TV camera crashes to the ground (in the Olympic Park)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3742080/Horror-Olympic-Park-four-spectators-left-bloodied-shaken-control-drone-camera-collapses-crashes-them.html

Well you can't say its ever dull in Rio...if you aren't been held up by armed gunmen or getting the windows of your bus shot out, you have tv cameras coming down on you, or having to swim through sewage or dive into swamp water....the best you can hope for is an empty stadium to witness you lifetime of hard work and dedication.

Happened a few years back at a Speedway in the US, though the camera did not fall that time.

Rio's really putting on a poor performance.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Cyclefree said:

Moses_ said:

Yes in all seriousness, they did explain the process warts and all....I have to say I was quite shocked by some of the methods they used to ensure that those big fees resulted in the desired outcome as often as possible.

Although, at this place I visited outside of the forced "banging", they did live in amazing conditions due to the level of the fees involved.
    Thoroughbreds are all 'live cover'. Most other breedings are by frozen semen.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

Moses_ said:

I made the massive faux pas of asking that....apparently "its not the done thing".
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Jonathan said:

I am in a bad mood because I've had to look at Farage all day. He excelled at smug before Brexit. Now with the tash he is a class apart.

He makes Alex Salmond look modest.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,193
    edited August 2016

I think it is fair to say after Beijing and London Rio has not exactly set a high bar for Tokyo to follow, if the diving pool is clean, and most of the residents are actually watching in the stadium (conscious) rather than taking the opportunity to mug athletes on the way home from a night out they will already be one step ahead of this year's Olympiad
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    They rather amusingly asked the British guy who got the Windsurfing Silver medal, who has been training in Rio leading up to the Olympics, if he goes in the ocean outside of on the board...the look on his face was a "are you totally f##king crazy".
  • Options
    Good night all.

i have a saying "every day prick the the bubble of a fat nothern bald pompous twat"

Today is a good day.

• Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    NoEasyDay said:

Good night all.

i have a saying "every day prick the the bubble of a fat nothern bald pompous twat"

Today is a good day.

Thanks for your contribution.
  • Options

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

Moses_ said:

I made the massive faux pas of asking that....apparently "its not the done thing".
    Not just 'not the done thing' - I believe a horse cannot be registered as a Thoroughbred if it is not live cover. Now racing mules, different story. You can clone for all they care.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho_Gem
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Ladies Hockey – Team GB (3) v Spain (1). – GB go through to face New Zealand Semi Final.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

Moses_ said:

Not just 'not the done thing' - I believe a horse cannot be registered as a Thoroughbred if it is not live cover. Now racing mules, different story. You can clone for all they care.

Things have moved on, the FEI have ok ed clones as of 2012 and they will be the norm from now on - William fox Pitt's tamarillo has a clone called Tomatillo foaled in 2012.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,176
    Trump says Clinton is America's Angela Merkel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ihrPSx0nXU
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079

...? She's suffered from the sorts of issues all long serving leaders develop in the end, but on the whole there's a lot worse comparisons to be made.
  • Options

Ladies Hockey – Team GB (3) v Spain (1). – GB go through to face New Zealand Semi Final.

Again doesn't count in Tyson's book...far too posh. All them private school lasses playing jolly hockey sticks.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

Moses_ said:

Things have moved on, the FEI have ok ed clones as of 2012 and they will be the norm from now on - William fox Pitt's tamarillo has a clone called Tomatillo foaled in 2012.
    Fox-Pitt is in Eventing, not flat racing.

I don't know about racing in the UK, but in the US, the Jockey Club decides. Live cover is still the only permissible means of breeding to register as a Thoroughbred, and only registered thoroughbreds are allowed to compete at the top level.

Explicitly not permitted: artificial insemination, embryo transfer and cloning.

http://www.registry.jockeyclub.com/registry.cfm?Page=tjcRuleBook
  • Options
    Now who says we don't have a wide range of discussion topics on PB....now discussing the rules and regs of American Thoroughbred horse breeding.
  • Options

Again doesn't count in Tyson's book...far too posh. All them private school lasses playing jolly hockey sticks.
    When do we get to the homing pigeon races and other real sports, such as Brass Band marching?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Ishmael_X said:

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

Moses_ said:

Fox-Pitt is in Eventing, not flat racing.

I don't know about racing in the UK, but in the US, the Jockey Club decides. Live cover is still the only permissible means of breeding to register as a Thoroughbred, and only registered thoroughbreds are allowed to compete at the top level.

http://www.registry.jockeyclub.com/registry.cfm?Page=tjcRuleBook
    I do know that William Fox Pitt is not in flat racing. My point was that it's not just racing mules, it's all FEI disciplines where clones can compete these days.

The uk jockey club also insists on natural covering only, by the way.
  • Options
    Badminton BBC four close to quarter finals....
  • Options
    Anyone else watch the boxing ?

One might generously describe the judges' decision as 'poor'.

Just a coincidence it was a russian boxer who got the decision, I'm sure.

• Options
    nunu said:

Badminton BBC four close to quarter finals....

Not sure what you are watching is live.
  • Options
    Watch the medal ceremony btw.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

I do know that William Fox Pitt is not in flat racing. My point was that it's not just racing mules, it's all FEI disciplines where clones can compete these days.

Sorry. I misunderstood you as I had originally pointed out that most other breeding was by AI, not live cover, and had focused on the rule for Thoroughbreds.

I have to wonder about the value of cloning high performance horses for competition rather than for breeding purposes. So much of performance is well beyond genetics - conditioning, how the horse was brought along, and of course the horse rider connection. I seriously doubt that most clones could perform as well as the originals. But at least their genes are the same.
  • Options
    Bit of a lull in action this evening.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Ishmael_X said:

Sorry. I misunderstood you as I had originally pointed out that most other breeding was by AI, not live cover, and had focused on the rule for Thoroughbreds.

I have to wonder about the value of cloning high performance horses for competition rather than for breeding purposes. So much of performance is well beyond genetics - conditioning, how the horse was brought along, and of course the horse rider connection. I seriously doubt that most clones could perform as well as the originals. But at least their genes are the same.
    It will resolve the nature vs nurture debate one way or the other.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,176
    kle4 said:

...? She's suffered from the sorts of issues all long serving leaders develop in the end, but on the whole there's a lot worse comparisons to be made.
    It's obviously a planned line though. He's using the hashtag #AmericasMerkel on Twitter now.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,063
    MTimT said:

So basically the Jockey Club has outlawed...the 21st century

• Options
    Ishmael_X said:

William Fox Pitt's tamarillo has a clone called Tomatillo foaled in 2012.

It speaks to the wonderfulness of the English language that I know the meaning of very few of those words but can still understand the sentence... :)
  • Options

kle4 said:

It's obviously a planned line though. He's using the hashtag #AmericasMerkel on Twitter now.
    Wouldn't that make Trump #AmericasPutin?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,376

Does the average American voter know who Angela Merkel is? (Genuine question)
  • Options
    edited August 2016

I wonder if the average American knew we were having a referendum before we voted out.
    Michael Moore thinks even most college educated didn't know.
  • Options
    nunu said:

I wonder if the average American knew we were having a referendum before we voted out.
    Wasn't she the Time magazine person of the year 2015? So probably better known than most European politicians.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    MTimT said:

nunu said:

Wasn't she the Time magazine person of the year 2015? So probably better known than most European politicians.
    Trump also called her the best politician in the world last year.
This discussion has been closed.