Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nigel Farage: the Comeback, Comeback, Comeback Kid?

Comments

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''But Sabre's worth doing, as it may be a game changer if it works. And even if it does not, the tech and knowledge developed may well be useful elsewhere. ''

The heat exchanger technology alone must be applicable somewhere, if it works.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Worth pointing out that that is the mean of their probability distribution, not their estimate of the most likely single outcome (which is 341, with the second most likely at 347, reading off the histogram).

Quite so.

Notable that all of the models with form have the race in the same ball park - The Trumpster in the dumpster.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,136
    rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

''SpaceX is doing quite amazing things - although I still reserve judgement until they've a few successful reflights under their belt. ''

If Bond gets the Sabre engine right, SpaceX could have spent a great deal of money for nothing.

Do you know what's so revolutionary about the SpaceX engine?
    Surely there's nothing revolutionary about the Merlin? It's all been done before. They decided to go for a smaller, simpler engine that could be produced relatively cheaply using modern manufacturing techniques. It also allowed them to get a very high thrust-to-weight.

The next engine, Raptor, *will* be revolutionary, with only two other similar engines ever having been run, and then only on test stands.

(I'm not a rocket scientist).
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    The Wall Street Journal, no less, says in today's editorial (paywall) that Trump should either change his behaviour "or turn the nomination over to Mike Pence". They say the Republican leadership should give him until Labour Day, 5 September.

Good news for those of us who bought Mike Pence at 1000! :)
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

''SpaceX is doing quite amazing things - although I still reserve judgement until they've a few successful reflights under their belt. ''

If Bond gets the Sabre engine right, SpaceX could have spent a great deal of money for nothing.

Do you know what's so revolutionary about the SpaceX engine?
    Surely there's nothing revolutionary about the Merlin? It's all been done before. They decided to go for a smaller, simpler engine that could be produced relatively cheaply using modern manufacturing techniques. It also allowed them to get a very high thrust-to-weight.

The next engine, Raptor, *will* be revolutionary, with only two other similar engines ever having been run, and then only on test stands.

(I'm not a rocket scientist).
    Is it the use of 3D printed parts? Other than that, I'm with JJ, it seems to be a relatively simple beast.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''But Sabre's worth doing, as it may be a game changer if it works. And even if it does not, the tech and knowledge developed may well be useful elsewhere. ''

Yep.

Some things about modern life still seem unbelievable to me: for instance, the fact that turbine blades in a jet engine operate at temperatures far above the melting point of their materials, yet careful design means they do not melt. Not only that, but they operate reliably in that regime for many hours with no maintenance.

It's one of the reasons I don't like flying. Jet engines are ungodly magic.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Wouldn't a fourth spell as leader mean a third return to the post?

Are you a new ball or second new ball person?
    It's always been "The new ball". The first has become the old ball!
    Yes, but you can get a third (or second) new ball.
    Surely the starting ball is always the "original ball" to differentiate it from the first new ball, the second new ball, etc.
  • Options

taffys said:

Yep.

Some things about modern life still seem unbelievable to me: for instance, the fact that turbine blades in a jet engine operate at temperatures far above the melting point of their materials, yet careful design means they do not melt. Not only that, but they operate reliably in that regime for many hours with no maintenance.

It's one of the reasons I don't like flying. Jet engines are ungodly magic.
    My first encounter with magic was the tunnel diode.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited August 2016
    I have seen more people at the opening of a new branch of Iceland than at the Olympic horsey dancing.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited August 2016

Sandpit said:

Wow, another world record in the stadium, Poland's Anita Wlodarczyk throwing the hammer over 82 metres!

British lass in fourth, behind a drugs cheat. That's got to rankle....
    The swimming coach was grumbling about the same thing this morning.

The answer is screamingly obvious - anyone with a drugs ban can compete. Their times will be recorded. But they are not eligible for the medals. You have two lists - the complete field, and the clean medals list. It would stop drugs cheats overnight if they could never get on a podium for the rest of their lives.
    If an athlete from a country is found to be using nefarious performance enhancing products the nation is banned from the next cycle of Olympic / World championships and the transgressor is banned for 2 cycles.

Now that is peer group pressure.....
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Whooo hooo

93.928 for DuJadin - two riders to go
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Our horsey dancing lass gets a massive score. Gold likely nailed on.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Whooo hooo

I take the it that is a lot in horsey dancing.
  • Options
    There is an article on the bbc website with some analytist bod saying his modelling says Team GB are on course for 60 medals.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Whooo hooo

Who knows?!?

Commentators were rating 93.928% on the excitement scale, so probably close to world record....
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Charles said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Surely the starting ball is always the "original ball" to differentiate it from the first new ball, the second new ball, etc.
    No, because it's a new ball when first used, as distinct from any ball changes in between new balls.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

There is an article on the bbc website with some analytist bod saying his modelling says Team GB are on course for 60 medals.

It's the Brexit effect.

If only we could ditch London we'd be ahead of the USA
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Whooo hooo

It's a percentage. I believe that to be yuuuuuge.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018

I fear for our tyson. Horse dancing indeed!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Posh totty in jodphurs. Off the scale....
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    philiph said:

Sandpit said:

Wow, another world record in the stadium, Poland's Anita Wlodarczyk throwing the hammer over 82 metres!

The answer is screamingly obvious - anyone with a drugs ban can compete. Their times will be recorded. But they are not eligible for the medals. You have two lists - the complete field, and the clean medals list. It would stop drugs cheats overnight if they could never get on a podium for the rest of their lives.
    If an athlete from a country is found to be using nefarious performance enhancing products the nation is banned from the next cycle of Olympic / World championships and the transgressor is banned for 2 cycles.

That's going too far I feel (and more than a little unfair on very large countries), most athletes train separate to national organisations but, as with Russia, if there is shown to be national level cheating then, of course, all athletes should be banned.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    RobD said:

Has he checked in recently? I fear for his sanity seeing all these poshos & wannabe poshos winning all these medals for Team GB.
  • Options
    That German horse is goose stepping

cant see it going down well with the judges
  • Options

It's the Brexit effect.

George Osborne's Project Fear was predicting we'd get three bronze medals.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Whooo hooo

Who knows?!?

Commentators were rating 93.928% on the excitement scale, so probably close to world record....
    94% is WR that Dujardin also holds
  • Options

It's the Brexit effect.

wasnt that the optimistic scenario ?

I seem to remember he said wed have to hand all the 2012 ones back. :-)
  • Options

It's the Brexit effect.

I am sure as part of the punishment budget he was threatening that any gold medals would be seized to try to bolster the UK gold reserves.
  • Options

:lol:
  • Options

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

No, because it's a new ball when first used, as distinct from any ball changes in between new balls.
    sure - it's a new ball, but it's not a "New Ball" which is distinct from the starting ball
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Pah, Carl Hester pushed into 4th.

Cool Spanish rider soundtrack - Santana
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,604

RobD said:

Has he checked in recently? I fear for his sanity seeing all these poshos & wannabe poshos winning all these medals for Team GB.
    What place in the medal tally are the vibrant young Italians on?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited August 2016
    Thrak said:

philiph said:

Sandpit said:

That's going too far I feel (and more than a little unfair on very large countries), most athletes train separate to national organisations but, as with Russia, if there is shown to be national level cheating then, of course, all athletes should be banned.
    It would stop the practice pretty quickly after the first country was banned.

Anyway, the country should test their athletes to be sure they are clean, so the country is responsible for the athletes it picks.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,454

bbc.co.uk/programmes/p043zqlf

very interesting prog. Model inputs include whether just had or about to hold an Olympic games, etc.

Model predicted 62 IIRC, Team GB predicted 48.
  • Options

RobD said:

What place in the medal tally are the vibrant young Italians on?
    6th 7 9 6 22
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    PlatoSaid said:

Heard an amusing dressage story (yes, it is possible) the other day.

Norwegian lady visits Carl Hester's barn, comes back to Norway having bought a horse from him. She is over the moon, and tells her coach she can't believe that she has bought a Grand Prix horse from the Hester barn

Her coach is a little wary. "But, you do realize that you can't expect to be able to ride this horse to the same level as a professional."

"I know, but it was the groom riding it!"

Of course, the groom was none other than Charlotte Dujardin.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

very interesting prog. Model inputs include whether just had or about to hold an Olympic games, etc.

One I was looking was different analyst.

Rio Olympics 2016: Can Team GB finish above China in the medal table?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/37085511
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,234
    Horse dancing is awesome!
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

I have seen more people at the opening of a new branch of Iceland than at the Olympic horsey dancing.

Get rid of this "sport" from the Olympics. Darts!
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

RobD said:

U fear for his sanity now....
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

:lol:

Think it's called an extended trot. :) Horses with bling.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    HORSE DANCING IS NOT A SPORT FOR FUCKLE'S SAKE.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Norwegian lady visits Carl Hester's barn, comes back to Norway having bought a horse from him. She is over the moon, and tells her coach she can't believe that she has bought a Grand Prix horse from the Hester barn

Her coach is a little wary. "But, you do realize that you can't expect to be able to ride this horse to the same level as a professional."

Ha! I didn't know until just now that she hasn't been beaten since London 2012.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

sure - it's a new ball, but it's not a "New Ball" which is distinct from the starting ball
    I've tried to find a definitive answer on this, but a quick google for "Bill Frindall" "new ball" doesn't come up with anything decisive...
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494

IT IS IF WE WIN!
  • Options
    MTimT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Would she like to buy a bridge?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Looks like we can expect to bask in the glory of second place for another day... then an unfortunate dry spell :(
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Horse dancing is awesome!

Alongside showjumping, it's one of my favorite sports to watch
  • Options

Neither's cricket, but the rest of us put up with it
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

It's the Brexit effect.

I am sure as part of the punishment budget he was threatening that any gold medals would be seized to try to bolster the UK gold reserves.

Gold medals are mostly made of silver.

There's a metaphor in there somewhere.

• Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Other things that are not sports:

Power Bottoming (aka greco-roman wrestling)
  • Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Looks like we can expect to bask in the glory of second place for another day... then an unfortunate dry spell :(
    We've a sailing gold already in the bag for Tuesday.
  • Options
    If you're not going to refer to it by its proper name, 'Horse disco', then I'm flouncing.
  • Options

Surely that can't describe both competitors :D:p
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Whooo hooo

Who knows?!?

94% is WR that Dujardin also holds
    The WR is 94.3%, and her previous WR as 93.975%

To put this in perspective, the previous world record was Edward Gal on Totilas @ 92.3% but, AFAIK, no-one else has exceeded 87.93%
  • Options
    Dressage is extremely dull to watch, as is polo. Then showjumping (bar the puissance, perhaps).

Sticking a tape of the 1812 Overture on while they do it doesn't make it any better.

This is just stating the obvious.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,176

They should end the species discrimination and have musical canine freestyle as an Olympic sport. We'd be a shoe-in for Gold with all of our Crufts champions.
  • Options

It certainly is a rather interesting "sport". So say that again I have to get down on all fours & let the other guy mount me from behind regardless of if I want him to do so or not...isn't there some law against that kind of behaviour?
  • Options

They should end the species discrimination and have musical canine freestyle as an Olympic sport. We'd be a shoe-in for Gold with all of our Crufts BGT champions.
    Amended it for you, as they say.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Sentences you thought you'd never read:

• Options

It's as much a sport as hurling hammers around the place. And it has music.

We really ought to combine it with other sports: synchronized underwater horse dressage where the riders have to vault over the "horse" with a pole before getting on the horse. That sort of thing......

If we could teach horses to ride bikes we'd win every gold going for ever.....

:)
  • Options

They should end the species discrimination and have musical canine freestyle as an Olympic sport. We'd be a shoe-in for Gold with all of our Crufts champions.
    And then the USA and Russia would bring their elite military dolphins...
  • Options
    Apparently back in the say they also used to have horse long jump. They at one point also just to have single person synchronised swimming!
  • Options
    John_M said:

If you're not going to refer to it by its proper name, 'Horse disco', then I'm flouncing.

As is the horse...... :)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

We really ought to combine it with other sports: synchronized underwater horse dressage where the riders have to vault over the "horse" with a pole before getting on the horse. That sort of thing......

Oh I dont mind the dressage in the least, but cricket should be banned.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

The one man, one horse kayak....
  • Options

Mrs J wants the Turkish version in the Olympics: Turkish Olive Oil wrestling.

Yes, their national sport involves grown men lathering themselves in oil and wrestling each other whilst semi-naked.

I am reliably informed you can pay a lot of money to watch such things in certain London establishments. ;)

Until recently matches could go on for two days, and it has the oldest sanctioned continuously-running sporting competition in the world, starting in 1362.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_wrestling
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    FPT
    Cyclefree ....."All good stuff. It does not deal with the problems caused by having people who think that sharia law should trump English law, for instance"

The very fact this is is even a topic of conversation shows how dramatically this country has been changed by a certain section of society. That section of course refuses to integrate as can be seen from the need or requirement for their own legal system at odds with the host.
  • Options

Mrs J wants the Turkish version in the Olympics: Turkish Olive Oil wrestling.

Yes, their national sport involves grown men lathering themselves in oil and wrestling each other whilst semi-naked.

I am reliably informed you can pay a lot of money to watch such things in certain London establishments. ;)

Until recently matches could go on for two days, and it has the oldest sanctioned continuously-running sporting competition in the world, starting in 1362.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_wrestling
    I hear it has quite a celebrity following!
  • Options

Olympic Grabcocque?
  • Options
    I thought I didn't really get difference in pommel horse, then I saw Whitlock routine that was clearly more complex than the others, but horsey disco it really does all look the same to me.
  • Options
    We surely have gold...
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,788
    edited August 2016

Cyclefree said:

Horse dancing is impressive. And it is a real sport - Xenophon, William Cavendish and Bolsover Castle say so.

Spaghetti Western theme music, or Harrison Birtwhistle, should be mandatory.

And lets bring in those Belgian 6 day cycle races.
  • Options
    GOLD
  • Options
    Horsey gold!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    So I see that Trump has started to bang the Supreme Court nomination drum hardened. That will definitely help him when he finally names his preferred choice.
  • Options

I thought I didn't really get difference in pommel horse, then I saw Whitlock routine that was clearly more complex than the others, but horsey disco it really does all look the same to me.

I find the freestyle harder to judge, the set technical events are a bit easier. How they can score to three decimal places is beyond me!

And there's another gold
  • Options
    Tenth different sport with a gold (11 in sailing tomorrow). So just one more (taekwondo, triathlon?) to beat London.
  • Options
    Clear gold water between us and China in the medal table....
  • Options
    Has anyone seen Malcom G today. I fear he may be a guest of Her Majesty.....

https://twitter.com/swingaleg/status/764704820255129600
  • Options
    Did Farage grow that moustache so that he would remind Russian RT viewers of Stalin?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Hang on, I see that the horse is Dutch. Surely this is a Gold for the Netherlands?
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

FPT
    Cyclefree ....."All good stuff. It does not deal with the problems caused by having people who think that sharia law should trump English law, for instance"

The very fact this is is even a topic of conversation shows how dramatically this country has been changed by a certain section of society. That section of course refuses to integrate as can be seen from the need or requirement for their own legal system at odds with the host.

Suppose you and I came together to formulate Mospping Law.

Its sole statute was that if I borrowed a pack of cards from you and didn't return it within 20 days I would owe you £5.

We both agreed to be bound by Mospping Law. How is this a bad thing or subverting the UK's social fabric?
  • Options

Hang on, I see that the horse is Dutch. Surely this is a Gold for the Netherlands?

Is it an orange Horse, if so it qualifies as English?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

Since when is "trolling" a crime ?
  • Options

tsk even in our hour of glory the Remainers just cant let the EU it go :-)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,528
    MattW said:

Cyclefree said:

Horse dancing is impressive. And it is a real sport - Xenophon, William Cavendish and Bolsover Castle say so.

Dressage is a pitiful pathetic spectacle and certainly no sport.
  • Options

Tenth different sport with a gold (11 in sailing tomorrow). So just one more (taekwondo, triathlon?) to beat London.

Got couple of chances in the boxing, and also women's hockey team have killed it in the group stage.
  • Options

Just like the caddies in the golf, the horses don't get medals...
  • Options

Olympic Grabcocque?
    Is it just coincidence that Grabcoque appeared when Gideon left the government or is he among us?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Since when is "trolling" a crime ?
    Trolling with Turnips seems to be a particularly heinous crime!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MattW said:

Cyclefree said:

I reckon that deserves a Tyson award.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,788
    edited August 2016
    I think the hate crime thing has descended into Keystone Kops nonsense a la sexual harrassment.

Just caught up with the story of the chap who was arrested for hate crime for teaching his gf's dog to do a Hitler Salute and putting it on Youtube.

Still doesn't top the case of the chap put on probation for 3 years and the Sex Offenders' Register for self-abuse with a bicycle ("sexual breach of the peace") when hotel cleaners unlocked the door and walked in on him, though.

Lord help us if somebody writes another Producers and the Met get off the leash, or if they put it on in Nottingham.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MattW said:

Cyclefree said:

I thought the same about George Osborne
  • Options
    Just looking at the targets set by each sport for Team GB atheletes, rowing, despite being the #1 country, despite those golds etc, the blazers set a target of 6-8 medals!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Those who don't like particular sports are not obliged to watch them. I haven't yet watched a minute of the Olympics. I don't begrudge those who enjoy them their pleasure.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,528
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

nunu said:

"We need to protect our liberal values"

OK good how?

"By controlling what people wear".
    *facepalm*.

Maajid Nawaz gets this issue right.
    He gets most thing right, 'cepting his choice of political party to stand for, but in the scheme of things he gets a pass on that also.
    Since the core of his beliefs is liberalism, his choice of party is both appropriate and inevitable. That liberalism is having such a hard time right now is another matter entirely.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MattW said:

Cyclefree said:

No that's not right. It is a sport, but is very boring, overall spectacle aside, because the nuances of what makes a good vs bad vs very good performance are lost on 99.9% of the viewers so it is difficult to feel involved and to make your own judgement on progress or comparative performances.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Dujardin bought her first dressage horse with inheritance money from her grandmother
    What would Tyson say.....
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634

Just looking at the targets set by each sport for Team GB atheletes, rowing, despite being the #1 country, despite those golds etc, the blazers set a target of 6-8 medals!

That's with a surprise silver in the women's eights as well, we didn't do well in the sculls which hurt our total.
This discussion has been closed.