Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories set to re-introduce Fox hunting with hounds if t

13»

Comments

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

What is happening to British sport? It's like we're turbo charged - nothing short of sensational.

We should send the entire England football squad on an Olympic boot camp - then they'd learn the value of winning.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

I think the athletics is where the big disappointment is. Excluding Mr Mobot and the two other s that got medals, we aren't competitive in lots and lots of events. Its one thing not winning medals, but lots of event we don't even have a top 8 person....where as like the swimming so many finals and a number of 4ths.

We have tradition in 100m -> 1500m and we will be very very lucky to get anybody in the 100m mens final, 200m Gemilli is potentially good but not really on form, 400m the guy was a total shock to get in and won't feature. 800m and 1500m are total busts.

I had a quick look at the British Athletic site. There are two funding strands. Podium (this Olympiad) and Podium Potential (next). There are only 38 athletes funded for 2016, and 40 for Tokyo. I'm unfairly ignoring the Paralympics though.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    SandraM said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

BBC - Gold medal-winning swimmer Ryan Lochte and three others have been robbed at the Rio Olympics, the US Olympic Committee has confirmed.

Only half way through, what next PR disaster can befall Rio before the end.

The PR disaster to end all PR disasters would be drugs cheat Justin Gatlin winning the 100m. Once again athletics depends on Bolt to save it from its own stupidity.
    Hope they've found a way of getting bums on seats in the stadium, the attendance for the first two days was appalling PR for Rio.
    The shooting events were well attended. Possibly locals looking for tips?
    LOL
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Sandpit said:

Say what you will about the legacy of the London Games from a more casual standpoint, but it's clear that winning that bid back in 2005 continues to pay dividends for our athletes. Everything feels so much more professional than it did previously and I do think that we are starting to see successes in areas we were never considered to be leaders in (eg gymnastics, diving) because London did inspire young athletes.

Absolutely, and isn't it great to watch :)

The lottery funding program has been the key to it, paying for athletes, coaches, facilities and equipment over the many years required to build up to the success we saw in London and continue to see in Rio. It's a huge contrast to the short termism we often criticise Britain for.
    That UK sport has an eight year funding cycle really helps with strategic planning.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Who's the lady in the pink leotard? She looks like a tall dwarf.

Edit - she's Uzebekian.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,527
    PlatoSaid said:

What is happening to British sport? It's like we're turbo charged - nothing short of sensational.

We should send the entire England football squad on an Olympic boot camp - then they'd learn the value of winning.
    Maybe we should put them on a performance related pay scheme!
  • Options
    SandraM said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

BBC - Gold medal-winning swimmer Ryan Lochte and three others have been robbed at the Rio Olympics, the US Olympic Committee has confirmed.

Only half way through, what next PR disaster can befall Rio before the end.

The PR disaster to end all PR disasters would be drugs cheat Justin Gatlin winning the 100m. Once again athletics depends on Bolt to save it from its own stupidity.
    Hope they've found a way of getting bums on seats in the stadium, the attendance for the first two days was appalling PR for Rio.
    The shooting events were well attended. Possibly locals looking for tips?
    Our gun laws are frankly beyond stupid for competitors - I can't see any reason why exemptions aren't granted for designated sports shooters.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited August 2016

PlatoSaid said:

They don't get paid for England duty...well they do (I can't remember the exact reason but they have to be paid, might be an insurance thing i.e they have to be paid employees for them to be insured), but they donate it all to charity.

The "team" spirit and ethos though compared to when you see so many of they guys / girls at the Olympics is chalk and cheese. The rowers and cyclists are literally willing to die to get their team mates over the line.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    PlatoSaid said:

Edit - she's Uzebekian.

She's 41!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    alex. said:

PlatoSaid said:

Edit - she's Uzebekian.

She's 41!
    WTF? And I thought Nelli Kim was old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbkrDevankc
  • Options
    John_M said:

I think the athletics is where the big disappointment is. Excluding Mr Mobot and the two other s that got medals, we aren't competitive in lots and lots of events. Its one thing not winning medals, but lots of event we don't even have a top 8 person....where as like the swimming so many finals and a number of 4ths.

We have tradition in 100m -> 1500m and we will be very very lucky to get anybody in the 100m mens final, 200m Gemilli is potentially good but not really on form, 400m the guy was a total shock to get in and won't feature. 800m and 1500m are total busts.

I had a quick look at the British Athletic site. There are two funding strands. Podium (this Olympiad) and Podium Potential (next). There are only 38 athletes funded for 2016, and 40 for Tokyo. I'm unfairly ignoring the Paralympics though.
    On first glance, that looks way too few a number when split across all female and male athletics events.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

They don't get paid for England duty...well they do (I can't remember the exact reason but they have to be paid, might be an insurance thing i.e they have to be paid employees for them to be insured), but they donate it all to charity.

The "team" spirit and ethos though compared to when you see so many of they guys / girls at the Olympics is chalk and cheese. The rowers and cyclists are literally willing to die to get their team mates over the line.
    Most Olympic athletes train for 4 years for one thing. Even the other major championships are only ultimately training for the Olympics. The England football team trains for a few weeks a year for major championships. Comparing the two is fatuous.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    alex. said:

PlatoSaid said:

Most Olympic athletes train for 4 years for one thing. Even the other major championships are only ultimately training for the Olympics. The England football team trains for a few weeks a year for major championships. Comparing the two is fatuous.
    Its the lack of spirit. The Germans manage to have it, championship after championship. You know they are going to run through walls for each other. In the Euros, Wales had it, Iceland had it.

England have showed it in the rugby under Eddie Jones. I have never seen a recent England football team show this under any manager.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    What a strange looking bunch the female vaulters are - very short with big heads. The Chinese lady looks about 10yrs old. EDIT she's 20.

Guess this is the required physical form to win.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

If they don't get paid, then it becomes an amateur/social event and that has insurance implications the FA has and also income protection plans the players have.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,527
    Golf is so boring to watch.
  • Options
    Liam Fox now into 6/1 since I published this piece. The power of PB
  • Options

Its not quite the individual spirit in the velodrome is it.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,973

It's more exciting on TV than actually going to watch it live!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Best place to watch golf live, the practice range.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    The golf crowd needs shooting
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I prefer it on the radio. Seriously, I detest golf - but there's breathy drama when all you can hear is the commentators on Masters Sunday.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Pulpstar said:

The golf crowd needs shooting

In Rio, that can be easily arranged....The crowds were a disgrace in the mens road racing (cycling) as well. They made the Tour de France lot look like MCC members watching the cricket.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    Lol some numpty picks up the ball. Jesus.
  • Options

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    edited August 2016
    We're on 32 medals - what have I missed?

11G 14S 7B
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    PlatoSaid said:

Quite a few sports have some peculiar looking physiques, out of context. I recall reading Michael Phelps has abnormally huge hands and feet, and the legs of an average 5ft 7 man but the torso of an average 6ft 7 man.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Quite a few sports have some peculiar looking physiques, out of context. I recall reading Michael Phelps has abnormally huge hands and feet, and the legs of an average 5ft 7 man but the torso of an average 6ft 7 man.
    Usain Bolt is another - he's an incredibly short body. His arms/legs are much longer than his torso.
  • Options

alex. said:

PlatoSaid said:

Its the lack of spirit. The Germans manage to have it, championship after championship. You know they are going to run through walls for each other. In the Euros, Wales had it, Iceland had it.

England have showed it in the rugby under Eddie Jones. I have never seen a recent England football team show this under any manager.
    RE: Eddie Jones - So who do you blame? The players or the manager?

I doubt German success is based particularly on team spirit - their whole method is designed to make such things irrelevant. The players know their job, and they do it. And every level of German football is structured to assist this.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    rcs1000 said:

Toms said:

Betting query:
    Does anyone know what Horace Batchelor's "infra draw" method for football betting was and whether it could be applied to political betting? I suspect most here don't know about Radio Luxembourg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_Batchelor

http://www.castlesporting.co.uk/product_view.php?product=168
    Double LOL. It looks like people are still making money out of the method.
  • Options
    Is we really up to 2nd in the Medals Table?

Bloody Hell!
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    HYUFD said:

Dromedary said:

HYUFD said:

Essexit said:

There's scope for being the Voice of Leave outside the Government. At the moment, there isn't anyone prominent in that role.

Gove? Though he's been quiet of late.

Nah ...

https://twitter.com/nigel_farage/status/764739841527545856
    This is what some of the 52% wanted, any guesses maybe 13% (same as UKIP)?
    26% according to Comres
    http://www.comres.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/BBC-News_Tables_Brexit-Expectations_11072016.pdf
    What page are you quoting that 26% from?

They asked Leave voters what the British government should prioritise when negotiating withdrawal - staying in the single market or restricting freedom of movement (page 4), and they got figures of 42% and 56%. Ask a silly question, get a silly answer. If they'd asked them "do you think the most important aim for British negotiators should be to restrict immigration?" they'd probably have had 80%+ saying "yes". As for territorial waters, well sure, that's the main issue for some British fishermen.
    Page 16 is the relevant page. 52% want to stay in the Single Market with some limits on free movement, 26% to Leave the Single Market and end free movement, 18% to stay in the Single Market with the current free movement rules
    http://www.comres.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/BBC-News_Tables_Brexit-Expectations_11072016.pdf
    Thanks for this. Maybe a growing number of voters are realising that in negotiations it is normal to make concessions. I wonder what the figures would have been if they'd put free movement first and given people the option of choosing "Put some restrictions on free movement and settle for having some restrictions on access to the free market".
This discussion has been closed.