Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories set to re-introduce Fox hunting with hounds if t

SystemSystem Posts: 11,684
edited August 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories set to re-introduce Fox hunting with hounds if the International Trade Secretary doesn’t wind his neck in

Liam Fox and Boris Johnson are locked in a bitter Whitehall feud over who controls key parts of Britain’s foreign policy, a leaked letter seen by The Telegraph reveals.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,943
    First?
  • Options
    Afraid I'm not a fan of the 'first exit' markets. Quickest exits almost always come out of the blue.

But good header pun Mr TSE!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    "Mrs May knows Brexit needs to be successful for the country and for her long term political future"

I hate to be all conspiratorial but the fact that she put these three people in charge of it suggests that the aim is to bollocks it up so she can get out of doing it.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

"Mrs May knows Brexit needs to be successful for the country and for her long term political future"

I hate to be all conspiratorial but the fact that she put these three people in charge of it suggests that the aim is to bollocks it up so she can get out of doing it.

You are assuming she wants to lose the 2020 election?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    For horsey fans, showjumping just about to start.
  • Options

Brexit denialism continues I see!

I'm not a huge fan of Fox or DD, but there capable and definitely the people you'd want on the team to make foreign deals.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,337
    There's scope for being the Voice of Leave outside the Government. At the moment, there isn't anyone prominent in that role.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Afraid I'm not a fan of the 'first exit' markets. Quickest exits almost always come out of the blue.

Indeed, and in the case of Tories, "blue" as in associated with some sort of lurid sex scandal.

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

May will win in 2020 even if she backs out of Brexit. There would be a huge UKIP surge but it would mostly be in northern WWC areas where the Tories don't win anyway.
  • Options
    Final sentence sums it up. Fox is a joke, as are Davis and Boris. But it doesn't matter. Labour is led by an even bigger joke.
  • Options

And if she'd put three "Remainers" in charge, the conspiracy theory would be that it would be an attempt to wriggle out of Brexit.

• Options

No, I'm assuming she wants to win it, which is going to be more complicated if she has to commit to either continued EU immigration or shafting the economy. (Although against Corbyn it's fairly academic anyhow.)

Article 50 has already gone from the day after the referendum to shortly after the new PM takes over to maybe 2019, so it won't take much more of a lift.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

There's scope for being the Voice of Leave outside the Government. At the moment, there isn't anyone prominent in that role.

Gove? Though he's been quiet of late.
  • Options
  • Options
    A man who carried out a stabbing and arson attack on a Swiss train has died along with one of his victims who was doused in a flammable liquid.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3739948/Woman-dies-injuries-doused-flammable-liquid-Swiss-train-attack-five-including-girl-six-remain-hospital.html
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited August 2016
    Off Topic

Can anyone remember another Olympic Games being so poorly attended? Virtually every venue appears to be half empty or worse, sometimes embarrassing so in terms of there being virtually no sound of appreciation from the meagre audiences present.
    Clearly the Brazilians as a nation are not very interested in Sport, nor for that matter, judging by the medals table, much good at it either apart from football of course, and with hindsight picking Rio as a venue was a massive mistake.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Nah ...

https://twitter.com/nigel_farage/status/764739841527545856
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008

No, I'm assuming she wants to win it, which is going to be more complicated if she has to commit to either continued EU immigration or shafting the economy. (Although against Corbyn it's fairly academic anyhow.)

Article 50 has already gone from the day after the referendum to shortly after the new PM takes over to maybe 2019, so it won't take much more of a lift.
    The ST today suggests Article 50 may not be invoked until after the French and German elections next year to see what the UK will be dealing with and allow Whitehall adequate time to prepare. In the end it will probably be some form of compromise ie some single market access in return for some free movement
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Liam Fox has previously shown himself to be arrogant. Nothing has changed.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2016

Off Topic

Can anyone remember another Olympic Games being so poorly attended? Virtually every venue appears to be half empty or worse, sometimes embarrassing so in terms of there being virtually no sound of appreciation from the meagre audiences present.
    Clearly the Brazilians as a nation are not very interested in, nor for that matter much good at Sport, apart from football of course, and with hindsight picking Rio as a venue was a massive mistake.

Apparently lots of the venues are an absolute pain in the ass to get to. A BBC reporter was talking about taking two buses and then a mile walk to get to one of them.

I seemed to remember when they were awarded the WC and the Olympics the grand plan was a massive overhaul of the public transport system, but then they later shelved it.

And then on top of all of that, in Brazil lot of Olympic sports basically have zero participation, so there isn't even the local clubs that are going to do everything to see the world's best wiff waff player etc (for the record, I don't know if table tennis is big in Brazil or not).

In the UK, we are lucky that basically every sport going there is at the very least some niche hardcore participation / following and also a tradition of people wanting to watch some random off the wall sport they have never seen just because.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Off Topic

Clearly the Brazilians as a nation are not very interested in, nor for that matter much good at Sport, apart from football of course, and with hindsight picking Rio as a venue was a massive mistake.

I looked up the Brazilian Olympics performance in previous years and it's been poor for ages - though pretty good in London 2012 with 17, and 15 in Beijing

Dismal so far for them as home team with 4 in total.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

And if she'd put three "Remainers" in charge, the conspiracy theory would be that it would be an attempt to wriggle out of Brexit.

I think you mean "hope", as Edmund clearly does.
  • Options
    As ocean water isn't drinkable that is a terrible analogy.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    FPT @ HurstLlama and ydoethur

Had three wonderful organists (one being my Dad) at Plympton St Maurice as a kid. Beautiful small Norman church, higher than the Catholics with incense- and holy water-swinging, beautiful carved wood rood screen. Enough to bring a certain David Owen into the congregation every now and then (his parents were regulars).

You can just make out the organ on the left of this photo:

http://www.plymptonstmauricechurch.co.uk/images/Church Brochure/DSC_0005.jpg
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The ST today suggests Article 50 may not be invoked until after the French and German elections next year to see what the UK will be dealing with and allow Whitehall adequate time to prepare. In the end it will probably be some form of compromise ie some single market access in return for some free movement
    Then there are Italian elections in 2018, seems worth waiting to see if you end up with Berlusconi or Beppo Grillo, they'd shake the whole thing up anyhow. After that it's not long until the Euros in 2019, which means a new EU Parliament and a new Commission. Then UK election year, no point trying to negotiate then, if a new government got in they'd rip the whole thing up...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770

Essexit said:

Nah ...

It would be a huge disappointment to many and go against what many in the Berxit campaign promised, but it would not be a betrayal no matter how many times the word is used, Nigel, unless the government promises an 'end' when I wasn't looking, rather than the hints of various fudges to date.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Off Topic

I looked up the Brazilian Olympics performance in previous years and it's been poor for ages - though pretty good in London 2012 with 17, and 15 in Beijing

Dismal so far for them as home team with 4 in total.
    As a team, even their national passion, football, they are slipping behind. They still produce fantastically skilled individuals, but the likes of Germany show time and time again that they are tactically superior, better drilled, more focused, even though they have inferior players.

Brazilian in the WC was basically give to Neymar and hope to hell...
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    LOL...can we see Trump doing some Dad Dancing like Jezza? Because I am sure Trump will tell us he is really good at dancing, like really good, like he will be better than anybody else at it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Then there are Italian elections in 2018, seems worth waiting to see if you end up with Berlusconi or Beppo Grillo, they'd shake the whole thing up anyhow. After that it's not long until the Euros in 2019, which means a new EU Parliament and a new Commission. Then UK election year, no point trying to negotiate then, if a new government got in they'd rip the whole thing up...
    Well indeed but it is France and Germany who are the key players and the 2019 Euros will almost certainly have a pro EU majority in the European Parliament even if sceptics further increase their representation
  • Options
    A Jewish Labour donor has compared Jeremy Corbyn’s inner circle to Nazi stormtroopers as the party’s infighting escalated once again over the weekend.

Michael Foster, who has given hundreds of thousands of pound to the party, refered to the Labour leader’s aides as Sturmabteilung, the full name for Adolf Hitler’s SA.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/14/jewish-labour-donor-compares-jeremy-corbyns-inner-circle-to-nazi/
  • Options
    @CliveLawyer: #LabourAppeal I have just heard that the Claimants will NOT seek to go to the Supreme Court. Court of Appeal decision stands. @11KBW
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited August 2016
    PlatoSaid said:
    As a "leftie" myself, my favourite party trick is to show off my prowess at reading upside down, at which for what it's worth, we're supposed to have SIX TIMES the aptitude of "righties". Exceptionally useful when attending across the desk one-to-one interviews!

IIRC, four out of the last six U.S. Presidents have been left handed, as was Cameron .... very strange!
  • Options

Off Topic

Apparently lots of the venues are an absolute pain in the ass to get to. A BBC reporter was talking about taking two buses and then a mile walk to get to one of them.

I seemed to remember when they were awarded the WC and the Olympics the grand plan was a massive overhaul of the public transport system, but then they later shelved it.

And then on top of all of that, in Brazil lot of Olympic sports basically have zero participation, so there isn't even the local clubs that are going to do everything to see the world's best wiff waff player etc (for the record, I don't know if table tennis is big in Brazil or not).

In the UK, we are lucky that basically every sport going there is at the very least some niche hardcore participation / following and also a tradition of people wanting to watch some random off the wall sport they have never seen just because.

Off Topic

And then on top of all of that, in Brazil lot of .
    And, of course, the transport was much better between the venues in London (with the possible exception of Boris's ridiculous cable car)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

Off Topic

Clearly the Brazilians as a nation are not very interested in Sport, nor for that matter, judging by the medals table, much good at it either apart from football of course, and with hindsight picking Rio as a venue was a massive mistake.

It's sad that the country hasn't really embraced the games, in the same way London did. Four years ago people were over the moon to have a ticket for any event, the officials in Rio have either overpriced the tickets or failed to drum up any enthusiasm. Even the Athletics finals haven't sold out, if they can't sell tickets to watch Usain Bolt then they're screwed.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

And, of course, the transport was much better between the venues in London (with the possible exception of Boris's ridiculous cable car)

I think the tradition in the UK is that even if the transport is shit...cough cough Wembley....we are sport / event mad...what there is the 3-legged backward 10km cross country egg and spoon race in the Olympics, where do I get a ticket..

How many people did you know that got some absolutely random sport they had never seen in the raffle for 2012 off they went excitedly to watch it.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

I think the tradition in the UK is that even if the transport is shit...cough cough Wembley....we are sport /event mad...what there is the 3-legged backward 10km cross country race in the Olympics, where do I get a ticket..

That's true. If we'd held the games in the middle of the Scottish highlands, most events would still have probably sold out!

Giving ticket holders free Travelcards to the events was a smart move, though
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

Essexit said:

Nah ...

This is what some of the 52% wanted, any guesses maybe 13% (same as UKIP)?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Who writes this guff....

"Given the corporation’s technological resources, it’s not an entirely implausible idea; after all, it was the BBC that developed the iPlayer, which is one of the most innovative and disruptive digital technologies of the last 15 years."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/14/bbc-licence-fee-iplayer-surveillance

This will be iPlayer that is inferior to Netflix tech, inferior even to twitch. They can't stream live to the masses in HD properly, let alone 4k. Twitch steams to millions of people across 1000's of channels in HD and higher.

Netflix, Twitch, Hulu, Amazon Prime, even the pirate sites were there before iPlayer and have better technical solutions.
  • Options
    Great to see Brazilian showjumper doing well. Excellent round and impressive.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Off Topic

Off Topic

How dare you insult the wonderful cable car. I have a go on it every time I'm in London.
  • Options

I think the tradition in the UK is that even if the transport is shit...cough cough Wembley....we are sport /event mad...what there is the 3-legged backward 10km cross country race in the Olympics, where do I get a ticket..

That's true. If we'd held the games in the middle of the Scottish highlands, most events would still have probably sold out!

It's a relatively recent phenomonen, though. Look at crowd numbers at sporting events in 70s, 80s and early 90s you'll see they are much lower. Better transport and facilities now, I guess.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

HYUFD said:

They won't end up with Berlusconi.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    anytime someone types "remind you of anyone" I think of May now.......
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Another point on the Brazilian attitude to sport...even nation passion of football, many don't go to the stadiums other than for the odd game, rather watching it on tv. I am sure cost, safety, transportation are all factors.

They have these massive football stadiums, but the average attendance is lower than the MLS (which is the US professional soccer league) i.e. a country where soccer is seen by many as that funny game from 'urope where nobody ever scores and that kids play before they play "proper" sports.
  • Options

It's a relatively recent phenomonen, though. Look at crowd numbers at sporting events in 70s, 80s and early 90s you'll see they are much lower. Better transport and facilities now, I guess.

Probably because going to sports events back then was a pretty poor experience, e.g. Football hooliganism. On the other hand, many football grounds' record attendances were set in the 1930s
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

They won't end up with Berlusconi.
    The German election seems like a foregone conclusion too, that doesn't stop it being used as an excuse not to brexit yet.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

PlatoSaid said:
    As a "leftie" myself, my favourite party trick is to show off my prowess at reading upside down, at which for what it's worth, we're supposed to have SIX TIMES the aptitude of "righties". Exceptionally useful when attending across the desk one-to-one interviews!

IIRC, four out of the last six U.S. Presidents have been left handed, as was Cameron .... very strange!
    How interesting, I'm very good at reading upside down too. I used to joke that it gave me an edge at copying others homework.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Off Topic

Off Topic

How dare you insult the wonderful cable car. I have a go on it every time I'm in London.
    My son is a big fan. (He's six.)

• Options
    edited August 2016
    That Moroccan had a very naughty gg there. What excellent fun!

Bucking and pulling and ears back, little bugger
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Are we sure attendances were lower than the 70's and 80's...or has it changed e.g. sports like cricket and rugby league used to be very well attended.
  • Options

Another point on the Brazilian attitude to sport...even nation passion of football, many don't go to the stadiums other than for the odd game, rather watching it on tv. I am sure cost, safety, transportation are all factors.

They have these massive football stadiums, but the average attendance is lower than the MLS (which is the US professional soccer league) i.e. a country where soccer is seen by many as that funny game from 'urope where nobody ever scores and that kids play before they play "proper" sports.

Aren't the Brazilian leagues funny, though. There are a bunch of regional ones, and you regularly have the equivalent of Manchester United vs Kiddiminster Town*.

* Things I know thanks to crowd scores
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

No. It's article 50 being triggered in late 2017 - presumably post German elections. However, even this is second hand. I'm already getting the sense that the only person who is going to decide the timing is Mrs May. She's well known for her inscrutability.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Aren't the Brazilian leagues funny, though. There are a bunch of regional ones, and you regularly have the equivalent of Manchester United vs Kiddiminster Town*.

* Things I know thanks to crowd scores
    Yes. It is an absolutely stupid system. You play half the season in your regional championship i.e like all the Birmingham teams playing one another, then the other half in the national championship. They also play loads of pointless friendlies.

However, all that been said, aside from the odd very big game, the attendances even for the national championship games are very poor.

Edit: Example San Paulo, stadium capacity 65k, city population 21 million....

National Championship average attendance 20,558
    Copa Libertadores - 37,023

So the biggest games in South America and they only fill half the stadium.
  • Options
    John_M said:
    Not to mention somebody taking the time to tell the media about it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

HYUFD said:

"Britain is leaving the EU" could easily become a long term status rather than a decision.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    LA times has clinton 4 ahead of trump, a jump of 3
  • Options

HYUFD said:

"Britain is leaving the EU" could easily become a long term status rather than a decision.
    Right, it's kind of like associate membership...
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

Who writes this guff....

"Given the corporation’s technological resources, it’s not an entirely implausible idea; after all, it was the BBC that developed the iPlayer, which is one of the most innovative and disruptive digital technologies of the last 15 years."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/14/bbc-licence-fee-iplayer-surveillance

This will be iPlayer that is inferior to Netflix tech, inferior even to twitch. They can't stream live to the masses in HD properly, let alone 4k. Twitch steams to millions of people across 1000's of channels in HD and higher.

Netflix, Twitch, Hulu, Amazon Prime, even the pirate sites were there before iPlayer and have better technical solutions.

I've always found it amusing that the pirate media sites are miles better than the official ones!
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

How interesting, I'm very good at reading upside down too. I used to joke that it gave me an edge at copying others homework.
    Left eye dominant but right-handed. Still good at reading upside down though. Was useful in Iraq.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Sandpit said:

Who writes this guff....

I've always found it amusing that the pirate media sites are miles better than the official ones!
    Not so much now. Twitch, Netflix, Spotify are all very polished.

Twitch is the one that I am most impressed by, being able to pump out 1000's of live channels (plus access to all previous broadcasts on demand), each you can watch in 4 different resolutions, and the audiences can be 1 million+, down to a handful of people and each broadcast could be many hours long.

Balancing all that traffic and storage is quite fantastic.

And I am supposed to be excited that iplayer is still streaming in less than HD using mostly flash? Claiming they are disrupting the space....the only disruption they are doing is equivalent to a bus driving at 50 in the fast lane of the motorway.
  • Options
    John_M said:

No. It's article 50 being triggered in late 2017 - presumably post German elections. However, even this is second hand. I'm already getting the sense that the only person who is going to decide the timing is Mrs May. She's well known for her inscrutability.
    I think May has a lot of leeway to decide when to invoke Article 50, based on most of those who follow this issue now the referendum is out of the way understanding that a lot of work is involved and that it is better to have our ducks in a row before hitting the launch button.

However, I do think that at some point in the next few months, sentiment will shift to wanting to have a clearer idea of the overall game plan, if not the fine details or even the main negotiating objectives.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779

PlatoSaid said:

˙ɹǝʇǝԀ ǝʌᴉssǝɹdɯᴉ ʎɹǝΛ
  • Options
    MTimT said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Left eye dominant but right-handed. Still good at reading upside down though. Was useful in Iraq.
    I bet! Probably like a fellow few PBers, my teachers tried to force me into right handedness. It really confused me and took me years to work out how to do stuff most effectively in sports.

Fortunately, when my mum discovered what was going on - she went on the warpath and bought me lefty scissors, pinking shears, hockey stick...

I still sit sideways at desks to write and do it almost vertically to the line. That saved me from the common back to front hand/smeary ink
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Just like "Turkey is joining the EU"...
  • Options
    @rcs1000 Off Topic, but is there anything that can be done about the 500 character limit that applies when posting via vanilla (I.e. on mobile)? Makes replying to threads with lots of quotes quite annoying.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options

@rcs1000 Off Topic, but is there anything that can be done about the 500 character limit that applies when posting via vanilla (I.e. on mobile)? Makes replying to threads with lots of quotes quite annoying.

Hmmm... I'll check the settings
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Good afternoon, everyone.

Good afternoon Mr Dancer
  • Options
    stjohn said:

PlatoSaid said:

˙ɹǝʇǝԀ ǝʌᴉssǝɹdɯᴉ ʎɹǝΛ
    :smiley:
  • Options
    Left-handed people are inherently sinister.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2016

Left-handed people are inherently sinister.

Quite the opposite, Dexter.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited August 2016
    National Tracker - LA Times

Clinton 46.3 .. Trump 41.6

http://www.latimes.com/politics/
  • Options

Are we sure attendances were lower than the 70's and 80's...or has it changed e.g. sports like cricket and rugby league used to be very well attended.

Look at clips of England v Australia Ashes games in the 80s. Except on Saturdays grounds were often half empty, at best. Ditto with all but the biggest football games for most first division clubs. Rugby League was pretty much the same. Wigan got decent crowds, as did the Hull vlubs, but not the rest - unless it was a huge game. As for Union, Twickers often didn't sell out five nations games. Can you imagine that now?

• Options
    Mr. StClare, when it comes to classical history, I'm ambidextrous. Mr. Eagles is ambilevous.
  • Options

Essexit said:

Nah ...

26% according to Comres
    http://www.comres.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/BBC-News_Tables_Brexit-Expectations_11072016.pdf
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited August 2016
    JackW said:

Oh, that's the one someone on here was touting showing it was neck and neck a couple of days ago.
  • Options
    I really can't understand why showjumping isn't as popular as it once was.

It's dead simple to understand, short rounds full of chances to screw up, crashes and refusals that throw the rider off...

And gorgeous ggs trying to jump some enormous fences. Love to see headcam view. It'd be superb scary stuff for sofa watching.

Nothing beats the Puissance

https://youtu.be/j8_6nFedV6o
  • Options
    MTimT said:

John_M said:

I think May has a lot of leeway to decide when to invoke Article 50, based on most of those who follow this issue now the referendum is out of the way understanding that a lot of work is involved and that it is better to have our ducks in a row before hitting the launch button.

However, I do think that at some point in the next few months, sentiment will shift to wanting to have a clearer idea of the overall game plan, if not the fine details or even the main negotiating objectives.
    I agree. We can't actually nail down a negotiating position in a complete vacuum, leaving all options open. At some point domestic stakeholders are going to have to be informed of the government's preferred outcome. That will leak in about a nanosecond. Shortly afterwards, the whining will begin.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

MTimT said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

I bet! Probably like a fellow few PBers, my teachers tried to force me into right handedness. It really confused me and took me years to work out how to do stuff most effectively in sports.

Fortunately, when my mum discovered what was going on - she went on the warpath and bought me lefty scissors, pinking shears, hockey stick...

I still sit sideways at desks to write and do it almost vertically to the line. That saved me from the common back to front hand/smeary ink
    I play all sports except one right-handed. For some reason, I naturally did the triple jump left footed.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

It's dead simple to understand, short rounds full of chances to screw up, crashes and refusals that throw the rider off...

And gorgeous ggs trying to jump some enormous fences. Love to see headcam view. It'd be superb scary stuff for sofa watching.

Can't watch showjumping, gymnastics or ice skating, due to my superpower of making things fall over at a distance. Can't handle the responsibility.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Look at clips of England v Australia Ashes games in the 80s. Except on Saturdays grounds were often half empty, at best. Ditto with all but the biggest football games for most first division clubs. Rugby League was pretty much the same. Wigan got decent crowds, as did the Hull vlubs, but not the rest - unless it was a huge game. As for Union, Twickers often didn't sell out five nations games. Can you imagine that now?

Saddo that I am, I have just looked up academic papers with some figures. It isn't that clear cut e.g. average international ODI attendance is marginally down from a peak in the 90s. Rugby league saw a massive drop off (some 25%) in attendance with the Sky deal in the 90s.

But overall, not going to argue the general point that live entertainment, sport, comedy, music, is booming.

Another thing that is probably driving this, online booking like ticketmaster. Not only is it easy, no calling or going to the stadium / venue, but also you got pushed constant promos to your inbox of upcoming events.

Now the likes of Songkick send me notifications of of bands I have listened to on Spotify are doing live shows near me. That again has to add to the ability to push tickets sales / attendances.

Again, I saw some Brazilian claiming that their cultures isn't for really prebooking tickets way in advance, more people used to just sort of turning up to stuff last minute.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

JackW said:

Oh, that's the one someone on here was touting showing it was neck and neck a couple of days ago.
    This tracker spiked to Clinton yesterday and has edged further to her today. Now trending in the direction of the majority of other polls.

Oddly RCP didn't include it yesterday and as yet not today but did on Friday when it was just Clinton +1.. :smile:
  • Options
    Mr. M, that reminds me of a famously bad translation in the first Final Fantasy game [originally in Japanese, of course]. An early boss, Garland, proclaims to the party something like:
    "I, Garland, shall make you all fall down!"
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

8'2" !!!!! http://www.ponybox.com/upload/news/1391_image1.gif
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited August 2016
    Alistair said:

JackW said:

He is sliding because all of the "IT'S RIGGED !!" screams of his are depressing the turnout of his voters.

Certainty to vote has dropped 3% among Trump supporters in that tracking poll since he started screaming about it, "it's rigged so why vote ?" .

As I said Trump's only successful enemy is himself.

He can't grasp the mood of the crowd outside his rallies, if he ever went outside in disguise, like the King of Jordan does, to feel the mood of the public he would find out about it.

When was the last time Trump went out for a walk among common people ?
  • Options
    https://today.yougov.com/news/2016/08/14/cbs-battleground-florida-georgia-new-hampshire/

Florida: 5 Clinton
    Georgia: 4 Trump
    New Hampshire: 9 Clinton
  • Options
    Florida .. New Hampshire .. Georgia - YouGov/CBS

FL - Clinton 45 .. Trump 40
    NH - Clinton 45 .. Trump 36
    GA - Clinton 41 .. Trump 45

https://today.yougov.com/news/2016/08/14/cbs-battleground-florida-georgia-new-hampshire/
  • Options
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Can't watch showjumping, gymnastics or ice skating, due to my superpower of making things fall over at a distance. Can't handle the responsibility.

:lol:

Showjumping is the only sport I cross my fingers at
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    JackW said:

Florida .. New Hampshire .. Georgia - YouGov/CBS

FL - Clinton 45 .. Trump 40
    NH - Clinton 45 .. Trump 36
    GA - Clinton 41 .. Trump 45

I prefer my post. :)
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Alistair said:

Florida: 5 Clinton
    Georgia: 4 Trump
    New Hampshire: 9 Clinton

Trump bouncing up and down.

But still no general improvement in his status.
  • Options
    Very unimpressed with Dutch rider. GG unhappy and he's smacked him hard. Arsehole.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    MTimT said:

PlatoSaid said:

8'2" !!!!! http://www.ponybox.com/upload/news/1391_image1.gif
    Modern record - 7' 8"

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a49_1412142703
  • Options
    Urgh, no British clear rounds yet. 50/75 so far so plenty to watch if you haven't tried it yet.

Tyson will hate every second.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    Nate Silver's latest probabilities of a Trump win, running from high decay rate to low:

9%, 12%, 22%

Betfair prices on other Republicans winning the presidency:

Ryan 120-180
    Kasich 400-450
    Pence 770-950

The third favourite at Betfair after Clinton and Trump remains Bernie Sanders (80-90).

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    HYUFD said:

Essexit said:

Nah ...

26% according to Comres
    http://www.comres.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/BBC-News_Tables_Brexit-Expectations_11072016.pdf
    Fair enough, so 74% against.
This discussion has been closed.