Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Gary Johnson could be the WH2016 king-maker

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    A curious story from Romania. This story says the royal family is one of their most trusted institutions, even though they are not a monarchy anymore and haven't been for decades.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37064327
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

PlatoSaid said:

Just looking at the size of the host teams - Brazil has 465 vs Britain in 2012 at 545.

So not much difference in terms of participants to root for/show up to watch. I'm baffled by the poor attendances. And not buying this too poor stuff - this isn't a dirt poor country with no middle classes.

For the ‘poor’ there are still all the road races and marathon events where they could line the streets for free. – Wiggin’s London win was reshown again last night, every inch of pavement lining the route was ten deep, an estimated 200K minimum. – I’ve seen nothing to match it from Rio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0RULoSaoOg
    Good point. The trouble with Rio it really is a divided city and always has been. If we consider those less well off other than some flashy stadiums it's hard to see what they gain? The infrastructure was placed in the wealthier areas and so little regeneration occurred.

"With less than a month to go until the Olympic Games opening ceremony, Rio de Janeiro is a city divided. The games venues are mostly situated in the wealthy areas south and west of the city. Rio's northern favelas, the city's infamous slums, will get little benefit from the upgraded infrastructure"

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/less-month-go-olympic-games-rio-de-janeiro-city-divided-1570854

It's not the only reason but feeds the overall narrative and in some ways explains the near empty stadiums.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Charles said:

It's a question of degree.

My comments explaining what I really thought was deleted.

I don't know which word triggered it?

Perhaps it was "f***"

or "as"

or may be even "corrupt"?

PBers posting from the nether regions of the metropolis are now automatically screened to maintain the dignity and tone of the site.

You're most fortunate. In another era of PB you would have been handed the pearl handled revolver to do the decent thing .... shoot SeanT from the grassy knoll of Primrose Hill and then yourself down the Finchley Road ....

Oh the shame !!
  • Options
    Re the Olympic crowds:

Its even worse than it looks as many, most in some cases, will be foreign fans.

The turnout of locals must be absolutely miniscule for some sports.

That's fair enough if Brazilians aren't big sport fans but in which case why did they bid for the Olympics.

Perhaps it was nothing but a government vanity project.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2016
    Charles said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Moses_ said:

Well this is one answer to the questions posed since Brexit

"Government Pledges Billions Of Pounds To Plug EU Funding Gap
    Groups that face losing EU funding when Britain leaves the union are promised up to £4.5bn a year of Government cash"

http://news.sky.com/story/treasury-pledges-1634bn-to-replace-eu-funding-10533894

The magic money tree has been found!
    Tories only talk the talk if fiscal prudence. When it suits them its quietly dropped and all politically favourable projects are funded from their magic money orchard.
    I think this one is reasonable - providing certainty about multi-year funding applications (e.g. if you apply for a 3 year grant from the EU, do you know it will still all be there?)

But it doesn't detract from the accuracy of your general point
    Quite. We have a £716b income, with funding commitments of £772b. This is another thing that makes me roll my eyes about the legendary £350m p/w - ~ £18bn p.a. We're expending colossal amounts of time huffing and puffing about a sum amounting to 2.5% of our income, or 2.2% of our expenditure.

Meanwhile, over the lifetime of this parliament debt servicing costs will amount to £252bn.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Moses_ said:

Groups that face losing EU funding when Britain leaves the union are promised up to £4.5bn a year of Government cash"

http://news.sky.com/story/treasury-pledges-1634bn-to-replace-eu-funding-10533894

Unlesss I'm mistaken, the pledged funds are only what the UK would have handed over to the EU in any event, then dispensed back to the UK as the EU saw fit, minus a large handling fee.
    Maybe so, but it was meant for the NHS.

I'm just kidding, it sounds reasonably sensible, although we will take an economic hit of some stretch so at sone point maintaining or adding to spending planes won't be possible.
    Yes, I don't believe there is any net change of expenditure as a result of this.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    John_M said:

kle4 said:

Moses_ said:

Why is the concept of 'net contributor' apparently so hard for people to grasp?
    Do Leavers do net now?

This fictional sum will need to be deducted from the fictional £350 million a week to be spent on the NHS, of course.

Just as well we're not heading for an entirely optional downturn to blow a hole in the government's already precarious spending plans. Otherwise we might really have to economise.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,154

Miss Plato, it's rather disappointing. Attendance levels are mediocre to atrocious.

We need someone to make the Olympics great again...

MD too much money and heating nowadays, it has lost its way, purely corporate sponsors , jobs for the boys and millionaire athletes, many who are cheats. It is finished and will go the way of darts.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,016
    edited August 2016
    Mr. Meeks, a man who submitted his sovereignty in return for pay was called a gladiator or slave in Rome.

On Rio: whilst I share what many have said, it's also worth noting that the next two football World Cups (Russia and Qatar) have the potential to be worse, particularly the latter.

Edited extra bit: correction: a price, rather than pay. Once the fee of an auctoratus was negotiated that was it.
  • Options

John_M said:

kle4 said:

Moses_ said:

Do Leavers do net now?

This fictional sum will need to be deducted from the fictional £350 million a week to be spent on the NHS, of course.

Just as well we're not heading for an entirely optional downturn to blow a hole in the government's already precarious spending plans. Otherwise we might really have to economise.
    I think we would have had to have left at some point, given the EUs inevitable path towards federalisation, so better do it sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    @Morris_Dancer if you think that membership of the EU is remotely comparable with slavery, you are out of your tiny mind.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Are there any plain looking Swedish athletes? Just watching the 1500m women qualifiers and the Swede is the most magnificent creature.

http://www.caperi.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Meraf-Bahta-Eritrea-Sweden.jpg
  • Options

@Morris_Dancer if you think that membership of the EU is remotely comparable with slavery, you are out of your tiny mind.

Not sure the tiny was necessary.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, if you think ceding sovereignty to unelected, unaccountable foreigners whose concern is primarily not British is a good idea, merely to avoid short-term economic turbulence, then you're a silly sausage.

The success of nations is contingent upon long-term strategic strength, not the trials and tribulations of short-term shifts. Arminius caused no serious harm to Rome despite destroying multiple legions.
  • Options

Mr. Meeks, if you think ceding sovereignty to unelected, unaccountable foreigners whose concern is primarily not British is a good idea, merely to avoid short-term economic turbulence, then you're a silly sausage.

The success of nations is contingent upon long-term strategic strength, not the trials and tribulations of short-term shifts. Arminius caused no serious harm to Rome despite destroying multiple legions.

Mr Dancer, do you know much about the origins of some ancient sports like discus or hammer? I get javelin but did the other two have a warfare purpose?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kle4 said:

A curious story from Romania. This story says the royal family is one of their most trusted institutions, even though they are not a monarchy anymore and haven't been for decades.

My favorite of that sort of of survey was the one that said the "Boots nurse" was the second most trusted healthcare professional in the UK (after the family GP) with 19% of respondents seeing them as the primary source of healthcare information.

Despite the fact that they don't, and never have, existed.
  • Options
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

My favorite of that sort of of survey was the one that said the "Boots nurse" was the second most trusted healthcare professional in the UK (after the family GP) with 19% of respondents seeing them as the primary source of healthcare information.

Perhaps they were thinking of the Boots pharmacist or pharmacists in general.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, I'm unsure whether the hammer was in the Ancient Olympics.

The discus is weird. I really don't know where it might have come from.

Sorry that's not much help. Incidentally, I had a short ramble on the Ancient Olympics a week ago:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/ancient-olympics.html
  • Options

Charles said:

kle4 said:

The survey had "pharmacist" on it as well.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,758

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Or a nurse wearing boots...
  • Options
    O/T

Last call for the PB Fantasy Footie league (I promise).... this is the code for the league. It's free and your chance to secure bragging rights over certain well known PBers

843320-227121

• Options

This is where we differ. I am unafraid of foreigners. I believe that we have common interests with them on many fronts. I believe that it would be irrational not to work with them on these many fronts.

Is the EU a great mechanism for this cooperation? No, it's not great. But it was the best one we had to hand and no one has started to suggest anything coherent instead.

I expect that we will cobble together means of cooperation that are inferior in every respect to the ones we currently have, at the cost of an entirely avoidable short term downturn and with no particular reason to get any compensating benefits later on. But that is the choice of the British people. So be it.
  • Options
    Mr. Scrapheap, whilst I know nothing of football and therefore shan't be entering, suggest you shove up a link as well.
  • Options

John_M said:

kle4 said:

Moses_ said:

Do Leavers do net now?

No shortage of money in Britain - all it needs doing is for it to be transferred from one place to another.

It was so helpful for those areas it can be transferred from to identify themselves on June 23.

And how convenient that there are so few Conservative MPs in Inner London, Manchester, Liverpool, Cambridge, Oxford, Brighton, Bristol etc.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, it's not a question of fear.

I don't suppose you're afraid of me. Would you like to give me a percentage of your income every year and let me decide how it should be spent?
  • Options
    The Telegraph article on the "funding gap" reminds me of the idiot section of the media inability to grasp the difference between deficit and debt.
  • Options

I don't suppose you're afraid of me. Would you like to give me a percentage of your income every year and let me decide how it should be spent?

As another_richard has just pointed out, it appears that I already have.

Time for the civilised parts of the country to look for the exits. The United Kingdom is done now. Time to create demoses on smaller levels.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,334
    edited August 2016

Makes a refreshing change from Nazis & the Großgermanisches Reich..
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Did it ask 'pharmacist' or 'chemist' ?

British people don't refer to pharmacists but chemists - hence 'Boots the Chemist'.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    An interesting article in today's Telegraph discussing where the new government maybe going with its economic change of direction

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/13/the-two-big-tests-awaiting-the-prime-ministers-mayconomics-agend/
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited August 2016
    Just to be in context just how well we did in London, even with yesterdays amazing performances we are only level pegging with the same stage in terms of overall medals and 1 behind on golds...and in London the following 4 days we won a crazy number of medals, including 6 golds in the equivalent Saturday i.e. today.
  • Options

Sorry that's not much help. Incidentally, I had a short ramble on the Ancient Olympics a week ago:

That's rather fun - tweeted it.

Speaking of ancient 3 of 4 GB showjumpers are older than me!

Nick Skelton 30 December 1957
    John Whitaker 5 August 1955
    Michael Whitaker 17 March 1960

I watched these guys riding round Olympia on horses with silly sponsored names decades ago. Whitaker rode a gg called Next XYZ - others were named Everest Something after the double-glazing - and we all miss Harvey Smith on Sanyo Music Centre! :love:
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,014

Time for the civilised parts of the country to look for the exits. The United Kingdom is done now. Time to create demoses on smaller levels.
    I'd be genuinely sad if London left :(
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Just to be in context just how well we did in London, even with yesterdays amazing performances we are level with the same stage in terms of overall medals and 1 behind on golds...and in London the following 4 days we won a crazy number of medals.''

The big unknown this year is sailing. We got a silver in the windsurfing but details on how are doing in the other races are sketchy from the BBC.

• Options
    Mr. Meeks, you haven't. Or, at least, the cheque has not arrived.

I'll also be setting up some rules for you to follow on transport costs, holidays and so forth. The Morris Dancer Court of Justice will of course take into account your view on such things [although we may choose to ignore your opinion]. Failure to follow the judgements of the MDCJ will lead to penalty fines of potentially unlimited size.
  • Options

London independence is back on the agenda. Good luck.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

London needs a new settlement. The rest of the UK cannot expect to keep fleecing it and simultaneously holding its opinions in contempt. One or both will need to give sooner or later.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    taffys said:

''Just to be in context just how well we did in London, even with yesterdays amazing performances we are level with the same stage in terms of overall medals and 1 behind on golds...and in London the following 4 days we won a crazy number of medals.''

The big unknown this year is sailing. We got a silver in the windsurfing but details on how are doing in the other races are sketchy from the BBC.

From what I could gather when they went over to the lass bobbing up and down in a boat, she said we were ahead in 2 of categories currently underway.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, you're upset that London is a big net contributor to the UK but perfectly content that the UK was a big net contributor to the EU?
  • Options

Mr. Meeks, you're upset that London is a big net contributor to the UK but perfectly content that the UK was a big net contributor to the EU?

London is a far bigger net contributor to the rest of the UK than Britain is to the rest of the EU. It sees far less back from this expenditure also.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

Pulpstar said:

London needs a new settlement. The rest of the UK cannot expect to keep fleecing it and simultaneously holding its opinions in contempt. One or both will need to give sooner or later.
    Where would London be if UK taxpayers weren't underwriting its financial activities? Rather like Trieste or Vienna after 1918, I should think.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,213

Pulpstar said:

What do you define as London and Londoners? Do I, as someone on 30k working in Central London, but living in Woking (and paying 3k for the privilege to do the commute), count as a Londoner? Should I get to vote in the London Mayoral election?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''from what I could gather when they went over to the lass bobbing up and down in a boat, she said we were ahead in 2 of categories currently underway.''

Yes. They are normally good for at least two golds.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

What do you define as London and Londoners? Do I, as someone on 30k working in Central London, but living in Woking (and paying 3k for the privilege to do the commute), count as a Londoner? Should I get to vote in the London Mayoral election?
    No. No more than Malmo residents who work in Copenhagen get to vote in Danish elections. Glad to be of assistance.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The civilised part of Britain:

' Thirty-one migrants were found living in cramped conditions in a four bedroom house in north-west London.

Brent Council found 26 beds crammed into squalid conditions in the Wembley house, as well a bed in a rodent infested garden shack made from wood offcuts.

A total of 31 people were confirmed to be living there at the same time. Among them, a group of four tenants was found squashed into a box room on two bunk beds and six were found in another bedroom.

The tenants are all migrants, who said they could not afford to live anywhere else.

Brent Council’s head of private housing services, Spencer Randolph, told the BBC they were "paying somewhere between £60 and £65 a week."

He said: “So we’re looking at an income on this property of £1,500 a week which is around £80,000 a year.”

He added: “It’s dreadful to think that somebody could be exploited to living in what isn’t even a shed.”

The shack was found to house the only woman living at the address and did not have any heating or lights. '

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/thirtyone-migrants-crammed-into-four-bedroom-london-house-a3305391.html
  • Options

London is a far bigger net contributor to the rest of the UK than Britain is to the rest of the EU. It sees far less back from this expenditure also.
    London gets lots of institutions of government, transport links, high levels of public spending, commuters, food, water, power, and Bank of England backing for the City. It doesn't do badly out of the present settlement.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,063

This again. The EU is led by councils comprising heads of the elected governments, a commission chosen by the elected governments, and a parliament chosen by the people.

If one's concern is merely that they are not of one's own nationality or ethnicity, then mutatis mutandis and you are a Scottish Nationalist.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, you remember something called 'the financial crisis', right?

And that the UK is centuries old, and London has been the English capital for (give or take) a thousand years?

I'm baffled by those who think leaving the EU means those bits of the country that voted the other way should leave the country or get special treatment. The reverse would certainly not be true.
  • Options

Alistair, you're doing yourself no favours. Your attitude is why so many of our countryfolk despite the people of the metropolis.

London without England would be cut adrift, diminished and ultimately irrelevant.

• Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Did it ask 'pharmacist' or 'chemist' ?

British people don't refer to pharmacists but chemists - hence 'Boots the Chemist'.
    I never saw the precise survey - just what Stefano told me. He thought it was a very amusing.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    I love the arrogance that the civilised bits of the country are those bits that voted to stay in the EU whilst the rest are presumably occupied by barbarians. Break it down further that some London boroughs are civilised and some are not.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Alistair, you're doing yourself no favours. Your attitude is why so many of our countryfolk despite the people of the metropolis.

London without England would be cut adrift, diminished and ultimately irrelevant.

Victim blaming, I see

The arrogance with which the country mice expect Londoners to subsidise their hobby horses is breathtaking.
  • Options

Charles said:

Victim blaming, I see

The arrogance with which the country mice expect Londoners to subsidise their hobby horses is breathtaking.
    London, pay up!
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-cornwall-issues-plea-for-funding-protection-after-county-overwhelmingly-votes-in-favour-of-a7101311.html
  • Options
    I see it is all friendly banter on here this morning.....
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

He has previously referred to 'proper' London, no doubt being the bits that were the most for Remain, and that because bits of the whole country don't like the vote, only those that voted for it should pay the price (even, presumably, the bits of those areas that were not happy), in the same way people who did not vote Tory (like me) should not have to pay any tax to this government. What? I didn't vote for it, therefore it is unfair it applies to me.

There is no arguing with such fantastically illogical thinking, that allows no nuance, no compromise, no hesitation, that seeks not to accommodate the slender minority as best as can be had in circumstances, but instead to vindictively strike at the slender majority (and vice-versa). It's fanaticism, pure and simple, no different than the most blinkered Corbynite. Fanatics can be right sometimes, though usually they are wrong, but either way if they are right it is by accident, and the emotional need to be punitive shows why the thinking is suspect, and I support the right of hardcore remainers to be mopey and to seek to halt or delay the outcome, or not engage.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,143
    Charles said:

Actually, who knows?

There are a fair number of examples of successful city states: Hong Kong, Singapore recently; Hamburg or the other Hanseatic League ports further back in time.

Could London follow them? Possibly.
    Is there a desire for that to happen? I doubt it.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

FWIW, I was chatting to Andy Hornby (of HBOS infamy) about house prices a few years ago - he used the example of someone on £30K but forced to live in Woking & commute to Central London because of house prices as his archetype of why the economy was f****d
  • Options

It was, but I'll be off until the poison recedes.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    When people muse what it would take to get the sack from a teaching job at a uni.....apparently having an inappropriate relationship with a student, then beating the crap out of them isn't enough.

A senior lecturer convicted of beating a former student he was in a relationship with was allowed to continue teaching, despite the protests of his traumatised victim.

Dr Lee Salter, a media and communications lecturer at the University of Sussex, remains employed by the institution after being found guilty of assaulting Allison Smith, a 24-year-old student he met during an induction day at the university.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/sussex-university-lecturer-student-girlfriend-criminal-conviction-beat-up-assault-lee-salter-a7183391.html
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Where would London be if UK taxpayers weren't underwriting its financial activities? Rather like Trieste or Vienna after 1918, I should think.
    But UK taxpayers should feel honoured to be underwriting the financial activities of the 'civilised parts'.

Likewise they should feel honoured to supply the 'civilised parts' with the food, water and energy the 'civilised parts' demand and at the price the 'civilised parts' is willing to to pay.

They should also be grateful that the 'civilised parts' are willing to be the location of parliament, government offices, law courts, sports venues, national museums, art galleries etc.

The great irony is that the 'civilised parts' depend on the earnings from financial services but if the 'civilised parts' were independent they would have leftwing governments and the financial services would depart.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,143
    Charles said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

FWIW, I was chatting to Andy Hornby (of HBOS infamy) about house prices a few years ago - he used the example of someone on £30K but forced to live in Woking & commute to Central London because of house prices as his archetype of why the economy was f****d
    Mr "mending the roof while the sun is shining" Hornby?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

He has previously referred to 'proper' London, no doubt being the bits that were the most for Remain, and that because bits of the whole country don't like the vote, only those that voted for it should pay the price (even, presumably, the bits of those areas that were not happy), in the same way people who did not vote Tory (like me) should not have to pay any tax to this government. What? I didn't vote for it, therefore it is unfair it applies to me.

There is no arguing with such fantastically illogical thinking, that allows no nuance, no compromise, no hesitation, that seeks not to accommodate the slender minority as best as can be had in circumstances, but instead to vindictively strike at the slender majority (and vice-versa). It's fanaticism, pure and simple, no different than the most blinkered Corbynite. Fanatics can be right sometimes, though usually they are wrong, but either way if they are right it is by accident, and the emotional need to be punitive shows why the thinking is suspect, and I support the right of hardcore remainers to be mopey and to seek to halt or delay the outcome, or not engage.
    I'm not seeking to halt or delay the outcome. I set out a route map for Remainers last week for engagement.

Oddly, all the Leavers focused on one minor detail in that proposal. It seems that Leavers were extremely happy to leave the EU, so long as they didn't have to pay any part of the costs entailed in that.

As we are seeing again this morning, where the Leavers are trying to sting London for the bill.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Sean_F said:

London gets lots of institutions of government, transport links, high levels of public spending, commuters, food, water, power, and Bank of England backing for the City. It doesn't do badly out of the present settlement.
    London sucks the country dry of talent.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Charles said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

No-one in that position is forced to live in Woking.

It's just that they consider millions of Londoners to live in areas that are below them.
  • Options

Charles said:

Victim blaming, I see

I'm a Londoner, from a family that has interests in both London and the West Country.

We understand both sides - it is a symbiotic relationship that strengthens both immensely.

And I'm not blaming you. Just chiding.
  • Options

I think Mr Meeks could do worse than inspect the Olympic eye-candy instead. LeShawn Merritt is a gorgeous specimen.

• Options

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm not seeking to halt or delay the outcome. I set out a route map for Remainers last week for engagement.

Oddly, all the Leavers focused on one minor detail in that proposal. It seems that Leavers were extremely happy to leave the EU, so long as they didn't have to pay any part of the costs entailed in that.

As we are seeing again this morning, where the Leavers are trying to sting London for the bill.
    My heart bleeds purple piss for the London wealthy.
  • Options

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

"Vote Leave, take control! The economic cost is a price worth paying." "Ok, so pay the price." "Na."
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    How many 4ths have we had now? I notice we had yet another in the 50m Men Spirit in the pool overnight. I think we have had a number in the pool now.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

My heart bleeds purple piss for the London wealthy.

"Do as we say, now pay for it" isn't an attractive message. I suggest it needs a bit of honing if it is not going to lead to further break-up of the UK.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

It's the only place I can live. I'm epileptic, so the DVLA took my licence away.

• Options

Charles said:

Victim blaming, I see

Not half as breathtaking as grasping Londoners milking the country, your greed seems to have addled your brains. You sound like a real cracker for sure.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Actually, who knows?

There are a fair number of examples of successful city states: Hong Kong, Singapore recently; Hamburg or the other Hanseatic League ports further back in time.

Could London follow them? Possibly.
    Is there a desire for that to happen? I doubt it.
    I'm sure London would do fine - but it would be a very different city.

Singapore and Hong Kong were deliberately constructed to exploit the local regions. Effectively legal piracy. The Hanseatic League ports worked because they were able to trade in a more tax efficient manner than the over-regulated regions of Germany and the Baltics.

London, meanwhile, has historically grown from (a) being the primary entreport for the UK market; (b) providing ancillary services to trade that was financed by non-Londoners. Of course (a) is now less relevant and you can make the argument that (b) could continue as it has reached critical mass.

But it is a stretch to say that it would not be diminished by being cut off from its hinterland.
  • Options
    I've seen all kinds of numbers for the total cost of the City's fuck up. The national debt has increased by around £1.1 trillion. Then there's the shortfall due to lack of trend growth. That's ~ £500 billion (crude). Then there's the debt servicing costs for the increased debt, which is about £90bn (we were already paying ~£30bn p.a. due to Brown). Call it a couple of trillion to account for the second order effects.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Don't forget, the left wing commonly equate zero hour contracts to "modern day slavery" and their use by multi nationals as exploration and oppression of the rights and freedoms of downtrodden working class. **

** don't mention Labour use them as well and still do and If I recollect they actually introduced them in their term of government.
  • Options

Patroclus's funeral games of Iliad book 23 is almost a proto Olympics with IIRC competitions in chariot racing, running, javelin, archery, wrestling, fencing and shot/discus.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Are there any plain looking Swedish athletes? Just watching the 1500m women qualifiers and the Swede is the most magnificent creature.

http://www.caperi.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Meraf-Bahta-Eritrea-Sweden.jpg

trip to specsavers required
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Mr "mending the roof while the sun is shining" Hornby?
    Didn't know he said that!

But he did move from running a bank to managing a casino...
  • Options

Mr. Scrapheap, whilst I know nothing of football and therefore shan't be entering, suggest you shove up a link as well.

Thank you - you can ask the game to pick a lucky dip team for you.... should be good enough to ensure you beat TSE at least.

https://fantasy.premierleague.com/

• Options

MD bit like Scotland , except it is all our income.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Don't forget, the left wing commonly equate zero hour contracts to "modern day slavery" and their use by multi nationals as exploration and oppression of the rights and freedoms of downtrodden working class. **

** don't mention Labour use them as well and still do and If I recollect they actually introduced them in their term of government.
    I read yesterday that 50% of EU internships are unpaid...
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Mr Dancer, do you know much about the origins of some ancient sports like discus or hammer? I get javelin but did the other two have a warfare purpose?
    Found this

https://www.iaaf.org/disciplines/throws/hammer-throw

http://www.livestrong.com/article/338737-the-history-of-discus-throwing/
  • Options
    EPG said:

Charles said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

It's just that they consider millions of Londoners to live in areas that are below them.
    Well it depends what you need. Assuming a maximum price of £165,000 [5x £30,000 + a 10% deposit] most of the properties on primelocation were 1 bedroom flats (a couple of 2 bedders).

For anyone wanting to raise a family that's just a non-starter.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Found this

https://www.iaaf.org/disciplines/throws/hammer-throw

http://www.livestrong.com/article/338737-the-history-of-discus-throwing/
    How marvellous!

"Legend traces the concept of the hammer throw to approximately 2000BC and the Tailteann Games in Tara, Ireland, where the Celtic warrior Culchulainn gripped a chariot wheel by its axle, whirled it around his head and threw it a huge distance.

The wheel was later replaced by a boulder attached to a wooden handle and the use of a sledgehammer is considered to have originated in England and Scotland during the Middle Ages. A 16th century drawing shows the English king Henry VIII throwing a blacksmith’s hammer..."
  • Options
    Charles said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm amazed as to how so many people live in and around London - wages outside the south-east are lower but living costs are even more so.

And you can be very comfortably off on £30k in much of the North and Midlands.
  • Options
    Athletes were stopped from training in Rio's Olympic diving pool as work to turn the water blue again continued.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/37064408

What a clusterf##k.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,445

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

It's the only place I can live. I'm epileptic, so the DVLA took my licence away.

Yes, there are no epileptics outside of London.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier for all concerned if you just sold up and moved to Brussels. I mean it would save years of red tape and legal fees for the entire country, think of the benefits and the children.

You could probably negotiate a good package to be fair given potential overall CAPEX savings and Eurostar and Easyjet tickets are quite competitive at the moment

:wink:
  • Options

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

Yes, there are no epileptics outside of London.
    No decent coffee shops outside London. Oh, the humanity!
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Pulpstar said:

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier for all concerned if you just sold up and moved to Brussels. I mean it would save years of red tape and legal fees for the entire country, think of the benefits and the children.

You could probably negotiate a good package to be fair given potential overall CAPEX savings and Eurostar and Easyjet tickets are quite competitive at the moment

People seem less keen on this whole "freedom of movement" thing in practice.
  • Options

Athletes were stopped from training in Rio's Olympic diving pool as work to turn the water blue again continued.

What a clusterf##k.

Swimming's world governing body Fina said the water tanks had run out of some of the chemicals used in the water treatment process.
  • Options

Charles said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm amazed as to how so many people live in and around London - wages outside the south-east are lower but living costs are even more so.

And you can be very comfortably off on £30k in much of the North and Midlands.
    Sure - there are few careers that *need* people to be in London (mine is one of them). If I wasn't working in the City, I'd quite like to move to the country - albeit somewhere in the South/West as that's where I know best. I'm not sure my wife would agree though! Had to persuade her to move from LA to London...I suspect Dunny-on-the-Wold might be a stretch too far

• Options
    Moses_ said:

Pulpstar said:

We should be so lucky , whinging will continue apace no doubt, must have been something in his caviar last night.
  • Options
    Anyone know why some of the male track runners are wearing sleeves? They look like long evening gloves without the gloves...
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

What a clusterf##k.

Swimming's world governing body Fina said the water tanks had run out of some of the chemicals used in the water treatment process.
    Anything special on at the pool this week...nah...somebody has booked it for something called the Olympics, never heard of it, don't worry about checking the chemical supplies.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm not sure it would be particularly convenient for Leavers if all those who supported Remain were to decamp to another country. Who would pay for their lifestyles?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

I read yesterday that 50% of EU internships are unpaid...
    Careful, the Remoaners may explode at the allegation that the EU uses a modern form of slavery.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,188
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Victim blaming, I see

I'm a Londoner, from a family that has interests in both London and the West Country.

We understand both sides - it is a symbiotic relationship that strengthens both immensely.

And I'm not blaming you. Just chiding.
    You speak as if London were the only city in the UK and the mass of the country outside the M25 had congruent interests.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

What a clusterf##k.

Anything special on at the pool this week...nah...somebody has booked it for something called the Olympics, never heard of it, don't worry about checking the chemical supplies.
    I know it's a lot of water - but why didn't they empty it and refill - at least some of it? The article talks about the tiles being covered in dirt, I think they mean algal slime.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,213
    edited August 2016
    Charles said:

EPG said:

Charles said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Well it depends what you need. Assuming a maximum price of £165,000 [5x £30,000 + a 10% deposit] most of the properties on primelocation were 1 bedroom flats (a couple of 2 bedders).

For anyone wanting to raise a family that's just a non-starter.
    To be fair, I'm still with my parents, but if I want to move out and get a place of my own I'm thinking of looking to the provinces where properties are not stupidly priced. I have a friend at work who doesn't have the luxury of living cheaply with parents. The problem - and I think EPG has a point - is that young graduates are desperate to live in trendy areas and love the allure of London. If I was from, say, Leeds, I wouldn't have even considered going to London simply because the finances are bonkers. But then I'm not so bothered about eating out in trendy parts of town. I wonder if youngsters will eventually suss out that London isn't all that and start to look to alternative parts of the country? Sure, they won't earn as much, but they'll have a better quality of life.
This discussion has been closed.