Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Owen Smith team says it has private LAB leadership poll wit

124»

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005
    GB odds on for gold, 95+ is very very tough to get.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,209
    I think we've won!
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

@SeanT, I have finished the "Fire Child" book

I just wanted to say that I guessed the ending about 1/4 way into the book.

Thought you'd want to know that.

The fact that I was completely utterly wrong is, I think, not relevant.

• Options
    GOLD!
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Gold! First ever diving gold!
  • Options
    Gold for GB.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,512

FPT

Sorry just catching up. Re:Tradesmen's earnings versus the graduate premium, unless one is academically very gifted (i.e. about 10% f the young people university would seem a very bad deal compared to taking up a skilled trade).

I have just had the final bill from the chap who ripped out the old and put in a new bathroom - £4,220 for two week's work, that is labour only, materials plus, tiles, fittings etc were in addition. How many people, graduates or otherwise, earn £2,000 a week? The bloke concerned is a graduate and used to work installing and maintaining flight simulators for CAe, he switched to a job that earns him more and allows him to spend more time at home with wife and family. He doesn't advertise, but is now booked solid until mid-January 2017.

The fellow I found, after months of searching, to repoint one corner of the house (five days work at £300 a day) has now pulled out, better money on offer elsewhere. The qualified plumber we had in to re-jig the hot water system prior to the new bathroom, £400 a day. Electricians cost about the same is you can get one (fellow at the pub runs a spark's business, and is run off his feet, cannot recruit enough qualified people and, get this, can't find youngsters to take on as apprentices).

Graduate premium, my bottom. Ok, a sparks is a sparks, a plumber a plumber and there is no career ladder to climb. But at 2 grand a week who would worry.

Two weeks to clear and refit a bathroom? Someone is having a giraffe. Clearing is a day's work, two if you have a lot of tiles to remove. The new floor is one day, the walls are one day, and the plumbing is two days. Even with a day snagging and completion that's only one week two days. I have just had mine done; took less than a week and cost £1600 + vat.
  • Options
    80ish dive, not 95.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Tom who? ;)
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited August 2016
    GeoffM said:

EPG said:

Anyone on PB have kids they told to go into a trade instead of going to university? What was the outcome?

My son Scott was too stupid to go to university but he's getting really well paid now for posting political comments on the internet.
    His current contract is with the EU Department Of Eternal Truth and he's making a mint spreading their messages. All he has to do is ignore his own low feelings of self-worth and downplay any residual personal integrity.
    Does your son Scott have the nickname "Pasty"?
    :innocent:
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

new thread

• Options
    We'll have to bring some lucky algae to each diving compo now..
This discussion has been closed.