Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Owen Smith team says it has private LAB leadership poll wit

Comments

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    HYUFD said:

Indigo said:

HYUFD said:

FPT

Sorry just catching up. Re:Tradesmen's earnings versus the graduate premium, unless one is academically very gifted (i.e. about 10% f the young people university would seem a very bad deal compared to taking up a skilled trade).

I have just had the final bill from the chap who ripped out the old and put in a new bathroom - £4,220 for two week's work, that is labour only, materials plus, tiles, fittings etc were in addition. How many people, graduates or otherwise, earn £2,000 a week? The bloke concerned is a graduate and used to work installing and maintaining flight simulators for CAe, he switched to a job that earns him more and allows him to spend more time at home with wife and family. He doesn't advertise, but is now booked solid until mid-January 2017.

The fellow I found, after months of searching, to repoint one corner of the house (five days work at £300 a day) has now pulled out, better money on offer elsewhere. The qualified plumber we had in to re-jig the hot water system prior to the new bathroom, £400 a day. Electricians cost about the same is you can get one (fellow at the pub runs a spark's business, and is run off his feet, cannot recruit enough qualified people and, get this, can't find youngsters to take on as apprentices).

Graduate premium, my bottom. Ok, a sparks is a sparks, a plumber a plumber and there is no career ladder to climb. But at 2 grand a week who would worry.

Most plumbers are on mid £20k or a little above, of course the more people train as plumbers and electricians the less demand there will be for them and the few who are very highly paid will diminish rapidly
    Source please ? With special reference to your use of the word "most"
    Payscale - The average wage for a plumber is £10.88 an hour, salaries typically range from £12,474 to £36,047. The national average is £22,607
    http://www.payscale.com/research/UK/Job=Plumber/Hourly_Rate
    Country: United States | Currency: GBP | Updated: 17 Mar 2016 | Individuals Reporting: 751 :D
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    edited August 2016
    Indigo said:

HYUFD said:

Indigo said:

HYUFD said:

Indigo said:

HurstLlama, your casual dismissal of my references while you offer none to support your own contentions is getting a bit tedious. Why do you think the list is bollocks? What do you think is likely to have changed over the last four years? Why should I simply take you at your word?

Just look at it. Does this seem remotely credible ?

60 Barristers and judges £40,242 -5.3

"Judges and Barristers" only seven hundred quid a year better off than "Police Officers (Sergeant and Below)"
    The average criminal or family law barrister will be on about that unless they are a QC, commercial barristers on the other hand will almost all be in 6 figures or even 7 if they are at the very top
    In their first year maybe (even leaving judges to one side)

http://www.allaboutlaw.co.uk/stage/becoming-a-lawyer/the-truth-about-lawyers-salaries

As a barrister’s level of experience grows, so their clients and cases will increase in value: a barrister with five years’ experience may expect to earn a salary between £50,000 and £200,000, while wages for those with 10 or more years’ experience might range from around £65,000 to over £1 million.
    Notice you use the word barrister rather than noting their practice area which is far more important. Most criminal barristers are on about £15k as pupils their commercial counterparts on about £50k and even if criminal barristers do earn around £65k after a decade or two once you take into account chamber's fees and costume hire and travel costs etc it is nothing like that. Most legal aid barristers will never reach that level anyway. It is only the commercial barristers who really make millions at the Bar
    I didn't use anything of the sort, I quoted from an article written on the subject of barrister's salaries. I think you would call black a type of white if you thought you could make an argument out of it.
    That is precisely what you did, comparing legal aid barristers to top commercial and chancery barristers is ridiculous. While commercial pupils are often paid more than £60,000 in their first years of practice the median salary for all criminal barristers is £56,000. Once travel costs and clerks' fees are included some criminal barristers are on less in real terms than the London living wage. By contrast, for example, top commercial silk Jonathan Sumption received £5 million in 2012 when he was acting for Roman Abramovich before his elevation to the Supreme Court

https://www.ft.com/content/ae4f4472-76f9-11e3-807e-00144feabdc0
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,324
    EPG said:

Anyone on PB have kids they told to go into a trade instead of going to university? What was the outcome?

I think we can all agree that PB progeny are just the types to benefit from a university education. Other people's kids, not so much.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

HYUFD said:

Indigo said:

HYUFD said:

FPT

Sorry just catching up. Re:Tradesmen's earnings versus the graduate premium, unless one is academically very gifted (i.e. about 10% f the young people university would seem a very bad deal compared to taking up a skilled trade).

I have just had the final bill from the chap who ripped out the old and put in a new bathroom - £4,220 for two week's work, that is labour only, materials plus, tiles, fittings etc were in addition. How many people, graduates or otherwise, earn £2,000 a week? The bloke concerned is a graduate and used to work installing and maintaining flight simulators for CAe, he switched to a job that earns him more and allows him to spend more time at home with wife and family. He doesn't advertise, but is now booked solid until mid-January 2017.

The fellow I found, after months of searching, to repoint one corner of the house (five days work at £300 a day) has now pulled out, better money on offer elsewhere. The qualified plumber we had in to re-jig the hot water system prior to the new bathroom, £400 a day. Electricians cost about the same is you can get one (fellow at the pub runs a spark's business, and is run off his feet, cannot recruit enough qualified people and, get this, can't find youngsters to take on as apprentices).

Graduate premium, my bottom. Ok, a sparks is a sparks, a plumber a plumber and there is no career ladder to climb. But at 2 grand a week who would worry.

Most plumbers are on mid £20k or a little above, of course the more people train as plumbers and electricians the less demand there will be for them and the few who are very highly paid will diminish rapidly
    Payscale - The average wage for a plumber is £10.88 an hour, salaries typically range from £12,474 to £36,047. The national average is £22,607
    Country: United States | Currency: GBP | Updated: 17 Mar 2016 | Individuals Reporting: 751 :D
    Average salary for a plumber in London ranges from £26,895 to £32,500. The average is £32,143.
    http://www.totaljobs.com/salary-checker/average-plumber-salary-london

The median London wage is £33,000
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

EPG said:

Anyone on PB have kids they told to go into a trade instead of going to university? What was the outcome?

I think we can all agree that PB progeny are just the types to benefit from a university education. Other people's kids, not so much.
    One of my kids went to uni, if I can dignify it with the name, the other thought it a waste of time so didn't bother. I'll confess to being a snob; if it's not Russell group or better, it's likely to be a waste of time - though there are a few honourable exceptions.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    John_M said:

EPG said:

One of my kids went to uni, if I can dignify it with the name, the other thought it a waste of time so didn't bother. I'll confess to being a snob; if it's not Russell group or better, it's likely to be a waste of time - though there are a few honourable exceptions.
    Hull? :D
  • Options
    RobD said:

John_M said:

EPG said:

Falmouth :).
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,472
    John_M said:

EPG said:

I'm intrigued. What universities are better than the Russell Group?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

John_M said:

EPG said:

Some universities in the US.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

EPG said:

If you have the grades to be a city lawyer, commercial barrister, investment banker, GP or surgeon, or engineer and study a subject related to those professions eg law, medicine, economics, engineering etc then it makes sense to go to university, that university most probably being Oxbridge or another Russell Group institution. If you scraped a few Cs and Ds at A Level and are offered the chance of an apprenticeship or learning a trade rather than going to a lower ranked university and getting into debt then the former may be more sensible but ultimately it is your choice
  • Options
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

John_M said:

EPG said:

Yep, some of the Ivy Leagues, MIT, Caltech.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,052

EPG said:

My only objection is - most people evidently think the same! Needless to say university is not even primarily about earning more, and there are big advantages. It allows people to think deeply about interesting topics (possible too in some trades). It is pleasant.

I would also like to hear the opinions of PB people who work in trades as electricians, plumbers, etc. about why the grass is greener, to supplement the opinions of graduates. I wonder if the proportion of PB people in trades versus graduates is useful to think about in this context. Does it signify anything?
  • Options
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

John_M said:

EPG said:

Global Times Higher Educational Rankings currently puts Oxford second (which casts doubt on the system, bluntly) behind the California institute of Technology (which doesn't inspire confidence either). Stanford is third, followed by Cambridge. Fees for those two, plus the eight big Ivy League institutions, are usually vaguely akin to extortionate. Tuition fees for Harvard Law School, for example, are $59,550 this year, although some courses appear to ask for nearer $40,000. These would have to be paid upfront unless you had a scholarship. Unless you are totally minted, that is simply not worth it.

Incidentally, don't get too carried away with the Russell Group as undergraduate providers. There are issues surrounding the quality of teaching in those institutions, for the very simple reason that academics are hired to research rather than teach. Although their graduates tend to be able, remember that they only select able ones in the first place so it is sometimes a case of garbage in, garbage out (not that they are garbage, but you get my meaning)!

With some students who are good but not brilliant, I advise doing a first degree at a different university and then a Masters at the Russell Group later when they have developed the necessary skills. Moreover, a masters is becoming the new baccalaureate so that is to their further advantage.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Dr. Prasannan, wasn't the ban overturned on appeal? Also, Armitstead doesn't come from a country found to have run state-sponsored doping of athletes.

So missing three [ not one, not two, but three ] tests is OK then ?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

John_M said:

EPG said:

Global Times Higher Educational Rankings currently puts Oxford second (which casts doubt on the system, bluntly) behind the California institute of Technology (which doesn't inspire confidence either). Stanford is third, followed by Cambridge. Fees for those two, plus the eight big Ivy League institutions, are usually vaguely akin to extortionate. Tuition fees for Harvard Law School, for example, are $59,550 this year, although some courses appear to ask for nearer $40,000. These would have to be paid upfront unless you had a scholarship. Unless you are totally minted, that is simply not worth it.

Incidentally, don't get too carried away with the Russell Group as undergraduate providers. There are issues surrounding the quality of teaching in those institutions, for the very simple reason that academics are hired to research rather than teach. Although their graduates tend to be able, remember that they only select able ones in the first place so it is sometimes a case of garbage in, garbage out (not that they are garbage, but you get my meaning)!

With some students who are good but not brilliant, I advise doing a first degree at a different university and then a Masters at the Russell Group later when they have developed the necessary skills. Moreover, a masters is becoming the new baccalaureate so that is to their further advantage.
    Most Ivy League schools have significant scholarships though and if you go to Harvard Law School you will probably soon be working for a Wall Street law firm and making a small fortune so it more than pays off
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Most Ivy League schools have significant scholarships though and if you go to Harvard Law School you will probably soon be working for a Wall Street law firm and making a small fortune so it more than pays off

If you can get your green card - bearing in mind we are talking about British students here.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634
    surbiton said:

Dr. Prasannan, wasn't the ban overturned on appeal? Also, Armitstead doesn't come from a country found to have run state-sponsored doping of athletes.

One of the missed tests was the fault of UKAD though, that's why CAS ruled in her favour. She also volunteered for a test the following day after they buggered up. Again a reason why CAS ruled in her favour. Even the third missed test was down to UKAD being overly harsh.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

One of the missed tests was the fault of UKAD though, that's why CAS ruled in her favour. She also volunteered for a test the following day after they buggered up. Again a reason why CAS ruled in her favour. Even the third missed test was down to UKAD being overly harsh.
    But Isinbayeva who never failed a test, either in Russia or abroad , cannot compete.

It would be good if Gatlin wins the gold in 100m.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    tlg86 said:

BBC finds an anti Brexit angle via the Fringe Festival.

i'm sure if Britain doesn't finish top of the medal tables at Rio there will be a dilemma.

Should they blame it on Tory cuts or Brexit? Choices, choices.........
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

If you can get your green card - bearing in mind we are talking about British students here.
    Indeed but if you have a Harvard Law degree and a role at a top Manhattan law firm then a green card should not be a major problem
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634
    surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

But Isinbayeva who never failed a test, either in Russia or abroad , cannot compete.

You're a strangle little man.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    surbiton said:

She missed two tests.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

John_M said:

EPG said:

I worked in a University Medical School for a while. Research was the only way to progress as an Academic. Teaching Undergraduate Medical Students counted for very little, despite that being the ostensible reason for the institution. Are good researchers also good teachers? Sometimes perhaps but the correlation is poor.

Indeed part of the reason I moved to an NHS post in a University Hospital was that I wanted to teach rather than research.

Fox jr went to UEA rather than a Russell group Uni precisely because the feedback on teaching was so good for his subject.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed but if you have a Harvard Law degree and a role at a top Manhattan law firm then a green card should not be a major problem
    The combination of money and knowledge of immigration law is a good headstart!
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    HYUFD said:

Indigo said:

HYUFD said:

FPT

Howls of derive laughter. You try getting a plumber for the equivalent of of £22K in the SE, you wouldn't even find one for your top end of £36k.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,927
    Test
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    John_M said:

RobD said:

John_M said:

EPG said:

atleast it wasn't Westminster :)
  • Options

I worked in a University Medical School for a while. Research was the only way to progress as an Academic. Teaching Undergraduate Medical Students counted for very little, despite that being the ostensible reason for the institution. Are good researchers also good teachers? Sometimes perhaps but the correlation is poor.

Indeed part of the reason I moved to an NHS post in a University Hospital was that I wanted to teach rather than research.

Fox jr went to UEA rather than a Russell group Uni precisely because the feedback on teaching was so good for his subject.

Mirrors my experience in History. I didn't even have fixed lecturing hours written in my contract (it was covered by 'other reasonable duties...) but it said definitely that I should produce a minimum of one book every four years. And that wasn't even Russell Group!

Which is why it is rather a clever idea to link tuition fees to the quality of teaching, although how that will be monitored I have no idea!
  • Options

Yeah universities are weird when it comes to teaching. To teach in a primary/secondary school you have to be qualified. To teach an undergraduate course at university requires literally no professional qualifications (a PhD isn't training you to teach)!
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    ydoethur said:

Mirrors my experience in History. I didn't even have fixed lecturing hours written in my contract (it was covered by 'other reasonable duties...) but it said definitely that I should produce a minimum of one book every four years. And that wasn't even Russell Group!

Which is why it is rather a clever idea to link tuition fees to the quality of teaching, although how that will be monitored I have no idea!
    How did you like academia?
  • Options
    nunu said:

tlg86 said:

BBC finds an anti Brexit angle via the Fringe Festival.

i'm sure if Britain doesn't finish top of the medal tables at Rio there will be a dilemma.

Should they blame it on Tory cuts or Brexit? Choices, choices.........
    I think the only time we topped the medal table was 1908
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,520
    edited August 2016
    nunu said:

John_M said:

RobD said:

John_M said:

EPG said:

atleast it wasn't Westminster :)
    Most of the senior managers in my office went to distinctly second rate universities - Huddersfield, Central England, Coventry - but they all did technical/vocational degrees which got them the sort of job they wanted. The right course at a less exalted university can be better than the wrong course at a Russell Group.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

The combination of money and knowledge of immigration law is a good headstart!
    Certainly helps
  • Options
    I was always told to just get a degree, any degree. So I got a joint honours in a modern language and a social science. I now work in a junior management/ analytical role in the health service and not really enjoying it. I wish I had worked out what career I wanted first then worked backwards from there.
    Of course for most of my degree course and several years after, I was planning on working as a translator for the EU....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Indigo said:

HYUFD said:

FPT

Howls of derive laughter. You try getting a plumber for the equivalent of of £22K in the SE, you wouldn't even find one for your top end of £36k.
    Well any job is paid more in the SE, especially if it is a job for the wealthy Home Counties upper middle classes
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    GOLD in the paddling pool...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,463
    RobD said:

Yeah universities are weird when it comes to teaching. To teach in a primary/secondary school you have to be qualified. To teach an undergraduate course at university requires literally no professional qualifications (a PhD isn't training you to teach)!
    However, many unis are now encouraging (even requiring?) lecturers to undertake the Postgraduate Diploma in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education.
  • Options
    RobD said:

You don't even need the doctorate! I taught with just an MA for two years at one point.
    Freggles said:

My feelings on it are rather mixed. I like researching, and I like teaching, and I liked the social aspects of travelling and meeting people all over the world and being paid for it. At the same time, I became increasingly disillusioned with the utter pointlessness of a lot of what we were doing to get on in our careers (I think the nadir was a lecturer at Liverpool John Moores who had built a career on looking at how pictures were used in adverts in the 1960s - what use was that to anybody except him?) and I became increasingly frustrated at the huge numbers of students we were expected to take, teach with a light touch and churn out as graduates solely for the sake of the money they brought in. Job insecurity didn't help either. So in the end I left and entered proper teaching.

I don't say that I will never go back to academia. I may do, at some point, if I can. But I do say there will have to be pretty radical changes before it will be a good, rewarding career, and particularly there will need to be some hard thinking on this teaching/research (im)balance.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I'm about to start my 30s and considering a career change but not sure where to go. I could become a teacher but it's the complicated bits of language learning that appeal to me. I would love teaching undergraduates but like other commenters it seems to be all about research.
  • Options

Jo Clarke in the canoeing I see, well done him!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,007
    Gold in the canoe !
  • Options
    edited August 2016

RobD said:

However, many unis are now encouraging (even requiring?) lecturers to undertake the Postgraduate Diploma in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education.
    Yes, but that's meaningless. It simply requires you to prove you have taught a certain number of different modules within a certain time (or at least, it did in Wales). It's a bit like those PhD student 'teaching excellence' awards which anyone can get on application and therefore everyone got.

It bears about as much resemblance to the PGCE for teaching as a paddling pool does to the Caspian Sea.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,463
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

You don't even need the doctorate! I taught with just an MA for two years at one point.
    Freggles said:

My feelings on it are rather mixed. I like researching, and I like teaching, and I liked the social aspects of travelling and meeting people all over the world and being paid for it. At the same time, I became increasingly disillusioned with the utter pointlessness of a lot of what we were doing to get on in our careers (I think the nadir was a lecturer at Liverpool John Moores who had built a career on looking at how pictures were used in adverts in the 1960s - what use was that to anybody except him?) and I became increasingly frustrated at the huge numbers of students we were expected to take, teach with a light touch and churn out as graduates solely for the sake of the money they brought in. Job insecurity didn't help either. So in the end I left and entered proper teaching.

I don't say that I will never go back to academia. I may do, at some point, if I can. But I do say there will have to be pretty radical changes before it will be a good, rewarding career, and particularly there will need to be some hard thinking on this teaching/research (im)balance.
    "I think the nadir was a lecturer at Liverpool John Moores who had built a career on looking at how pictures were used in adverts in the 1960s - what use was that to anybody except him?"

Madmen script writers?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    @ydoerhur

I enjoy teaching (though have a certain scepticism of much modern educationalist theory) and have a post-graduate qualification in medical education. I learn a lot from my students, particularly the postgraduate ones. It keeps me on the ball dealing with intelligent questions. There is some research that shows that medical teachers are better clinicians for this reason. Does the same go in teaching?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Freggles said:

I feel like that already and I'm barely 30 :(

Here's hoping for an job at a research institute where there is a lot less focus on teaching.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Pulpstar said:

Gold in the canoe !

Our traditional strength area: sitting down sport- boats, bikes, horses.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:
    Scott Adams thought McCain would win and endorsed Romney.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited August 2016
    Gold in the punting...in choppy waters..
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Pulpstar said:

Gold in the canoe !

Our traditional strength area: sitting down sport- boats, bikes, horses.
    Fiona Bigwood had a great test in the horse dancing :)
  • Options

@ydoerhur

I enjoy teaching (though have a certain scepticism of much modern educationalist theory) and have a post-graduate qualification in medical education. I learn a lot from my students, particularly the postgraduate ones. It keeps me on the ball dealing with intelligent questions. There is some research that shows that medical teachers are better clinicians for this reason. Does the same go in teaching?

I have no idea. My immediate answer however would be that I don't think the situation is comparable. Teachers tend not to mix teaching with other aspects (e.g. medical research) because of the punishing hours involved, although I appreciate that is very true of medicine as well!
  • Options
    Onto the women's weightlifting..
  • Options
    Glorious slip on the radio commentary - 'Michael Klinger has 533 wickets in this season's T20'.

Man, that guy has done some serious bowling!
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

Don't joke about Gatlin, the USA has a dark history of individual coaches doing this and their sprint team is questionable. Isinbayeva should have had all her other compatriots banned; unless the state doping by Russia is punished by all Olympic sports then these people will continue to divide and rule.

If Armitstead had wilfully missed three tests she should have had a twelve month ban, but she didn't, questions to answer and I hope the details are all laid out in public. Those trying to claim some equivalence between what Russia did and other countries are way off beam. It has some equivalence with China and US sprinting but places like the UK are nowhere near.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Gold in the punting...in choppy waters..''

Starting to crank into gear now...
  • Options
    Boxing not going well for team GB...5 boxers already out.
  • Options

Boxing not going well for team GB...5 boxers already out.

The one who went up against the young cuban lad (Argilagos) was unfortunate though, he looks amazing.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

I'm about to start my 30s and considering a career change but not sure where to go. I could become a teacher but it's the complicated bits of language learning that appeal to me. I would love teaching undergraduates but like other commenters it seems to be all about research.

Have you looked at the possibilities within NHS management?

There is a recognition that NHS needs a better training structure and I know people who have been positive on some of these courses:

http://www.leadershipacademy.nhs.uk/programmes/programme-guide-2016/

Frankly the quality of NHS management is pretty poor so it is fairly easy to progress if you have any talent at all! I recently interviewed for a Band 8a General Manager so can vouch for the truth of this.

I
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

@ydoerhur

I have no idea. My immediate answer however would be that I don't think the situation is comparable. Teachers tend not to mix teaching with other aspects (e.g. medical research) because of the punishing hours involved, although I appreciate that is very true of medicine as well!
    I was thinking of teachers who run PGCE courses or supervise placements. Is their evidence that they are better at the coalface teaching themselves?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,125
    HYUFD said:

Jo Clarke in the canoeing I see, well done him!
    Both golds for team GB so far are from people who live a few miles apart in Staffordshire: Stone and Uttoxeter.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Pulpstar said:

Gold in the canoe !

Sadly not allowed to cheer...

@JohnyHelzapopin: @JohnyHelzapopin Canoe/Kayak all non essential to industry boats are Tory, also cultural appropriation from Native Americans, über Tory
  • Options
    Freggles said:

If you like languages, then consider Cheltenham.
  • Options
    I understand the Corbynistas are upset with the GMB members poll. It asked a biased question, using the word "electability"
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211
    Scott_P said:

Pulpstar said:

Gold in the canoe !

Sadly not allowed to cheer...

@JohnyHelzapopin: @JohnyHelzapopin Canoe/Kayak all non essential to industry boats are Tory, also cultural appropriation from Native Americans, über Tory
    That account has to be a false flag, surely?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

@ydoerhur

I was thinking of teachers who run PGCE courses or supervise placements. Is their evidence that they are better at the coalface teaching themselves?
    PGCE course teachers do not do any teaching, as a general rule. I am not sure about those who run school-centred teaching courses, but I would guess nobody has done any research. However, bearing in mind they would only have 1 student and would spend on average 1 hour a week working with them, I doubt it would have much impact.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I understand the Corbynistas are upset with the GMB members poll. It asked a biased question, using the word "electability"

Surely the question should be neutral?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

@ydoerhur

PGCE course teachers do not do any teaching, as a general rule. I am not sure about those who run school-centred teaching courses, but I would guess nobody has done any research. However, bearing in mind they would only have 1 student and would spend on average 1 hour a week working with them, I doubt it would have much impact.
    Medical Postgraduate training is in many ways more like an apprenticeship, rather than a classroom experience. It is often one to one and based around specific skills and tasks. It is particularly satisfying as a result.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

@ydoerhur

Medical Postgraduate training is in many ways more like an apprenticeship, rather than a classroom experience. It is often one to one and based around specific skills and tasks. It is particularly satisfying as a result.
    Sounds very different from teacher training. Maybe that's why it's very satisfying and teacher training is an absolute shambles.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Surely the question should be neutral?

The unions can't be trusted...

@jessicaelgot: Corbyn camp also claiming "senior GMB political officers close to Watson and Smith pulled strings to block off access for our campaign" 1/2

ROFLMAO
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    EPG said:

My son Scott was too stupid to go to university but he's getting really well paid now for posting political comments on the internet.

His current contract is with the EU Department Of Eternal Truth and he's making a mint spreading their messages. All he has to do is ignore his own low feelings of self-worth and downplay any residual personal integrity.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

His current contract is with the EU Department Of Eternal Truth and he's making a mint spreading their messages.

Sounds like a good gig.

Sadly my degree would mean I am overqualified to apply.

Bummer...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

@ydoerhur

Sounds very different from teacher training. Maybe that's why it's very satisfying and teacher training is an absolute shambles.
    The educationalists try to wreck it on a regular basis!

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Wisconsin - Marquette

Clinton 52 .. Trump 37 - LV
    Clinton 46 .. Trump 36 - RV

https://law.marquette.edu/poll/
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,479
    JackW said:

Wisconsin - Marquette

Clinton 52 .. Trump 37 - LV
    Clinton 46 .. Trump 36 - RV

https://law.marquette.edu/poll/

Obama only won by 7pts. Interesting.
  • Options

The educationalists try to wreck it on a regular basis!

Keep them away. It's bad enough the damage they've done in education, I don't want them anywhere near somebody who has to make literally life or death decisions.
  • Options
    The torrent of stupidity flowing from the Labour Party is reaching dangerous levels

@andrewspoooner: Momentum & Corbynistas are now OPPOSED to minimum threshold turnouts in Trade Union ballots. EXACTLY same as Tories https://t.co/aj3VKfHrzD
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,164
    edited August 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Influence: the psychology of persuasion?

Yes, it's awesome

In a similar vein real estate mogul Barabara Corcoran, who's backing Hillary, said this:

- He's probably one of the most powerful and effective salespeople I've ever met in my life, but the tail end to that is that you can't count on whatever he's saying.

- So what's the bottom line. Who do you think will win?

- Donald Trump will win. Not a doubt in my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va5oTjuYOvc

• Options

Freggles said:

There is a recognition that NHS needs a better training structure and I know people who have been positive on some of these courses:

Frankly the quality of NHS management is pretty poor so it is fairly easy to progress if you have any talent at all! I recently interviewed for a Band 8a General Manager so can vouch for the truth of this.

I
    Will inbox you
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

I
    Will inbox you
    I would shred your CV just for using that hideous phrase.
  • Options
    Switch over to the diving. GB in a great spot.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Freggles said:

If you like languages, then consider Cheltenham.
    Or try BBC Monitoring at Caversham.
  • Options
    Judo bronze...
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

I
    Will inbox you
    Yeah, I've resisted it for some time but it has become ubiquitous on social media.
  • Options

Judo bronze...

Good result...

@JohnyHelzapopin: @JohnyHelzapopin Judo, more fighting, not Tory on the no cowards rule
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Switch over to the diving. GB in a great spot.

I get nervous watching diving, it strikes me as being about not making mistakes...
  • Options
    Freggles said:

GeoffM said:

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

I
    Will inbox you
    Yeah, I've resisted it for some time but it has become ubiquitous on social media.
    That's no excuse!

Hideous phrase aside; I wish you the very best of luck in whatever choices you make.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    GeoffM said:

EPG said:

My son Scott was too stupid to go to university but he's getting really well paid now for posting political comments on the internet.

His current contract is with the EU Department Of Eternal Truth and he's making a mint spreading their messages. All he has to do is ignore his own low feelings of self-worth and downplay any residual personal integrity.
    LOL.
  • Options
    Quick, put the diving on. The Russians have just blown it. GB doing well.

Also, news of a police operation underway at Disneyland Paris on social media. Not got much else ATM.
  • Options

Quick, put the diving on. The Russians have just blown it. GB doing well.

Also, news of a police operation underway at Disneyland Paris on social media. Not got much else ATM.

GB 3 pts ahead of china going into final dive. USA third, rest miles away.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Just came up with a clue I really like that's kind of Corbynite related..

Tickling ladies during sex is romantic (8)
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

People can die in lots of unexpected ways, even just driving home.

http://news.sky.com/story/four-dead-as-lorries-and-cars-crash-on-a34-10531168

• Options
    Fingers crossed in the pool dive bombing ...
  • Options
    Controversy in the diving! Whenever I see the blazers I just think of Christie in Atlanta.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

This is a farce at the diving.

Yes, the lack of hay bales on the most dangerous part of the cycling road race to fill in the death trap gutters was quite telling too. This olympics has been piss poor from an organisational viewpoint.
  • Options
    Can't see the Brits getting gold now.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

/TSE-mode = on

checks medal table

sees we are 9th

*cries*

realises we are ahead of France

*smiles*

• Options
    China need 94ish to win.
  • Options
    GB back into first in the diving - COME ON!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

America wins? Ah well.

Eh ?
This discussion has been closed.