Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Owen Smith team says it has private LAB leadership poll wit

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited August 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Owen Smith team says it has private LAB leadership poll with Corbyn below 50%

This is the sort of development that drives me crazy. If Smith really does have private poll with those figures then publish it. This would show that Corbyn is vulnerable.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,008
    edited August 2016
    Thirst?

Edit: I see the comedy that is Labour's self-destruction is continuing apace.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Second like Dont Know?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Yes, if it's something like Corbyn 48%, Smith 15%, Don't know 37%, that's not much comfort for Smith.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited August 2016
    Third like Smith.

Edit: Fourth like Arsenal.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    FPT:
    Tissue_Price said:
    Important polling findings here:

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/9om1hl3w4s/InternalResults_160809_SharkChild.pdf

What type of shark? Greenland Shark generally potters around at 0.3 metres per second. The Shortfin Mako can chase prey at bursts of over 26 metres per second.

It's important which shark the interviewed were considering, because the 50m freestyle world record is 0.4648 metres per second, some 54.9% faster than a Greenland shark, for any of the interviewees who bothered to use Google....
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Stephen Bush's pinned tweet refers:
    https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/748038353027796994
  • Options
    Published and be damned.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2016
    49% - Corbyn,
    35% - Don't know if I get a vote because I'm a £3er, but if I do, I am voting Corbyn
    16% - Owen Jones Smith
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Sean_F said:

Yes, if it's something like Corbyn 48%, Smith 15%, Don't know 37%, that's not much comfort for Smith.

Indeed. His own figure is glaringly absent.

I doubt it will be anything like a 3:1 advantage but I could well see something like 48-28 with 24% DK.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Private polling should always carry a health warning, Corbyn currently leads by 153-25 on CLP nominations, as George Eton says, tis the best public guide we have at the mo.
  • Options
    How likely do we think a VAT cut might be in the autumn statement?

I'm thinking about 20% atm.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Mortimer said:

I think we might get a symbolic cut such as zero rating of energy, the EU aren't exactly going to try and stop us given that we're leaving anyway.
  • Options
    Owen Smith has as much chance as I have of becoming leader of the Labour Party this year - ZERO. And his Wet Fish tour isn't setting people agog as how much better than the Jez he is - more competent yes, desperately dull also yes. The video endorsement from Ed Milliband really didn't help.

But the party is under continued metaphysical threat from the rise of Jezbollah, and the purge after he wins again will be terminal for party unity.

Smith will not win the election to lead the Labour Party. But don't be surprised to find him Leader of the Opposition by Christmas
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

49% - Corbyn,
    35% - Don't know if I get a vote because I'm a £3er, but if I do, I am voting Corbyn
    16% - Owen Jones Smith

Have you factored in Ed Miliband supporting Smith. ;)
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,720
    Mortimer said:

Cutting VAT by 20% would be welcome.
  • Options

Owen Smith has as much chance as I have of becoming leader of the Labour Party this year - ZERO. And his Wet Fish tour isn't setting people agog as how much better than the Jez he is - more competent yes, desperately dull also yes. The video endorsement from Ed Milliband really didn't help.

But the party is under continued metaphysical threat from the rise of Jezbollah, and the purge after he wins again will be terminal for party unity.

Smith will not win the election to lead the Labour Party. But don't be surprised to find him Leader of the Opposition by Christmas

If it is true that GMB will endorse Smith today - after balloting members - that will be very significant. Not that it will help Smith win, of course.

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Mortimer said:

To 16% ?

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    JackW said:

tyson said:

Jack- do you think there was a GOP candidate that could have won?

The GOP essentially have two hugely difficult problems :

1. Demographic trends in swing states.
    2. Picking a viable candidate acceptable to the base and acceptable to swing/independent voters.

The first is unstoppable, the second desperately difficult.

Of the 2016 contenders Kasich was the best option but lacked base support although acceptable to the voter. There is the GOP writ large.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    rcs1000 said:
    Congrats for the sale of your investment management business to GAM.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Patrick Wintour Verified account ‏@patrickwintour 1m1 minute ago

The GMB - only union to ballot all its members on who it should support in the Labour leadership - has voted for Owen Smith, the PA reports.

[edited update] GMB has 631K members. Full results of internal union ballot revealed later this afternoon.
  • Options
    Funny if true.

Louise Mensch ✔ @LouiseMensch
    Labour in 2015 only selected women MPs on AWS. Anytime a man was up for selection, the women candidates lost. Think on that.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,000

rcs1000 said:
    Thanks. It's not closed yet, so no champagne.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    If true the GMB backing should give the Smith camp a bit of a boost but it won't be anywhere near enough to save him. It may even have the opposite effect and galvanize Corbyn's support if they think the result may be closer than predicted.
  • Options

Funny if true.

Labour in 2015 only selected women MPs on AWS. Anytime a man was up for selection, the women candidates lost. Think on that.

I'd like to set a source before I believed that for sure.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:
    Thanks. It's not closed yet, so no champagne.
    More time in Zurich for you then?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    jonny83 said:

If true the GMB backing should give the Smith camp a bit of a boost but it won't be anywhere near enough to save him. It may even have the opposite effect and galvanize Corbyn's support if they think the result may be closer than predicted.

It won't help Owen win the leadership, but it might suggest the unions would be prepared to support a breakaway
  • Options

FPT:
    Tissue_Price said:

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/9om1hl3w4s/InternalResults_160809_SharkChild.pdf

What type of shark? Greenland Shark generally potters around at 0.3 metres per second. The Shortfin Mako can chase prey at bursts of over 26 metres per second.

It's important which shark the interviewed were considering, because the 50m freestyle world record is 0.4648 metres per second, some 54.9% faster than a Greenland shark, for any of the interviewees who bothered to use Google....

The 50m freestyle world record is 2.39m/s (long course). I think even I might manage 0.46m/s, which would be about 1m47s for the distance.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

To 16% ?

15℅ would make much more sense. (As in, to 15%.)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Good afternoon, everyone.

F1: Haryanto, who has exceeded expectations, is replaced by Esteban Ocon. Not unsurprising, it must be said:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/37033654
  • Options
    That poll could be Smith - 1%, Corbyn - 49%, Unsure - 50%.

Or: Smith - 99%, Corbyn - 1%
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Expectations game is everything now, if Corbyn doesn't win 60-40 he will be disappointed. Anything closer than 55-45 is a massive boost to Labour moderates and weakens Corbyn.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

To 16% ?

15℅ would make much more sense. (As in, to 15%.)
    Would cost the govt a fortune, no?
  • Options

We can take a good guess from previous YouGovs. Smith probably high 30s and Corbyn mid to high 40s.
  • Options

I'd be amazed to find him LotO by Xmas. He'd either need to replace Corbyn, which isn't going to happen once the leadership election's over, or he'd need to lead a breakaway party which 100+ Lab MPs had joined. It's extremely unlikely that a breakaway will occur on that scale in that time. It's quite unlikely that a break on that scale will happen at all but if it does, it'll need a lot more than sore loser syndrome to prompt it. Finally, if such a break did happen, there are plenty of people beyond Smith who could carry the flag.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

To 16% ?

I thought someone would think that but I meant from 20% to 0%.
    Seriously, can we afford any cut, even back to 17.5%?
  • Options

FPT:
    Tissue_Price said:

The 50m freestyle world record is 2.39m/s (long course). I think even I might manage 0.46m/s, which would be about 1m47s for the distance.
    So you're fine as long as it is a Greenland Shark and isn't a Shortfin Mako chasing you. And that poll is even more absurd.....
  • Options
    As an aside, glad Armstrong beat the suspiciously fast Russian just back from a doping ban in the women's time trial.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Funny if true.

That's almost inevitable though, given that men are excluded from 50% of winnable seats.
  • Options
    Perhaps the most significant thing about the GMB's nomination is that they hold two seats on Labour's NEC. In the pro-/anti-Corbynite battle, that could be another line of defence against takeover by the left.
  • Options

Nah - no 'don't knows'. (and it would be an unusually modest way of announcing that result, were it so).
  • Options
    Mr. Herdson, ah, right. My mistake.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited August 2016
    rcs1000 said:
    Yes, I read it some time ago. Trump's odds are way too long at the moment.
    “The best Trump linguistic kill shots,” Adams writes,”have the following qualities: 1. Fresh word that is not generally used in politics; 2. Relates to the physicality of the subject (so you are always reminded).”
    Indeed. Neurolinguistic programming (NLP) uses a similar notion that they call "anchoring".
    “thinking past the sale” so the initial part of his premise is stated as a given
    Again, spot on. For example in the latest hoohah the surface issue is whether Trump is encouraging violence; but the message that is cemented is "Hillary wants your guns".

It was always clear that this election was going to feature a huge dose of macho crap on the Republican side, and as Germaine Greer says, never underestimate that stuff.

If Trump survives the next few days, he's going to appear in the debates and do well in them, I reckon.

Have you read Robert Cialdini's book Influence? It's required reading in the field. It's up there with Ogilvy on Advertising.
  • Options
    Great news that my union is backing Owen. The narrative that Jezbollah are trying to build is that its the PLP/Portland/MI5 outside influences vs the movement. But when one of the two big unions backs the other guy it rather puts a dent in that strategy.

Yes there will be a split. But as I said it won't be the creation of SDP2 or a new party - it will be the partitioning of the Labour Party and the "splitters" own most of the MPs, MEPs, CLPs, Officials/buildings and now a decent chunk of the union movement. We aren't leaving this party.
  • Options

FPT:
    Tissue_Price said:

So you're fine as long as it is a Greenland Shark and isn't a Shortfin Mako chasing you. And that poll is even more absurd.....
    You don't have to swim faster than the shark, just faster than the guy swimming next to you :)
  • Options

Mortimer said:

To 16% ?

With bond yields turning negative we can afford whatever we wont as long as it's temporary and there's a plan for how it delivers future growth.

The issue is that, while it's getting talked about a lot, cutting VAT is a pretty stupid priority. It fails the two main tests

1) tax cuts deliver less growth than infrastructure spending, because people are more likely to squirrel them away so the velocity of the money is lower, and
    2) insofar as cutting VAT increases anything, it helps consumers rather than producers, so more of our stimulus benefits Germany, China, and so on, and less of it benefits Britain.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Mortimer said:

To 16% ?

If we cut it, can we please cut it to 10% (or zero)? 15% and in particular 17.5% were annoying to calculate in my head...
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

Whatever it is it's as fake as the nonexistent "yougov" poll after the debate showing Smith winning 51-49.

Last year Team Burnham published a private poll (obviously fake) showing him winning the leadership.

So fake, non-existing favourable polls leaked by campaigns do often happen, and are an indicator of desperation.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    rcs1000 said:

Funny if true.

I'd like to set a source before I believed that for sure.
    You don't trust Mensch? :D
  • Options

Great news that my union is backing Owen. The narrative that Jezbollah are trying to build is that its the PLP/Portland/MI5 outside influences vs the movement. But when one of the two big unions backs the other guy it rather puts a dent in that strategy.

Yes there will be a split. But as I said it won't be the creation of SDP2 or a new party - it will be the partitioning of the Labour Party and the "splitters" own most of the MPs, MEPs, CLPs, Officials/buildings and now a decent chunk of the union movement. We aren't leaving this party.

Key thing is that GMB balloted all its members - the only union to do so.

• Options
    Todd Vaziri and David Robinson have published some excellent analyses of Donald Trump's tweets.

Here's my contribution...

Take a look at the medical report that Trump publishes on his website.

Dated 4 Dec 2015, it is signed by Harold Bornstein, who claims to have been Trump's personal physician since 1980. Headed "To Whom My Concern" (sic), it states

"Mr Trump has had a recent complete medical examination that showed only positive results. Actually, his blood pressure, 110/65, and laboratory test results were astonishingly excellent. (...) If elected, Mr Trump, I can state unequivocally, will be the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency." (emphasis added)

For the following reasons, those words do not sound to me as though they were written by a medic, even if a medic has signed his name to them.

a) Results of medical examinations are usually called "positive" if something problematic is found. If a medic writing a report wishes to say that nothing untoward was found and that a person's health is in good shape, they would be more likely to use the word "favourable".

b) "Astonishingly excellent" does not seem like medical language at all.

c) No medic today can seriously state that anybody would be the "healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency".

But a man comes to mind who frequently uses hyperbolic and superlative language to describe Donald Trump: Donald Trump himself.

I noted the sentence beginning "Actually, his blood pressure". Using a comma after the word "Actually" in that context is an example of a poor writing style. But exactly this ugly usage has appeared many times in Donald Trump's tweets.

You can verify that by running this search.

Examples include

"Actually, she has done poorly with such men!" (2 May 2016)
    "Actually, I doubt it!" (26 Jan 2016)
    "actually, you always knew!" (27 Jun 2015)
    "Actually, if I run, I'll win." (28 Jan 2015)
    "so boring now that actually, I’m glad I didn’t (...)" (13 Oct 2014)
    "Actually, they will take over Iraq and all of their oil." (14 Jun 2014)
    "Actually, I don't think so." (16 May 2014)
    "Actually, I'm easily #1!" (4 Mar 2014)
    "Actually, I like you!" (19 Feb 2014)
    "Actually, she has got no talent at all-ZERO!" (13 Jul 2013)
    "Actually, I agree with that" (29 Jun 2013)

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Nate Silver's latest forecasts :

Clinton 84.7 .. Trump 15.3 - Polls Only
    Clinton 74.9 .. Trump 25.1 - Polls Plus
    Clinton 86.3 .. Trump 13.7 - Nowcast

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/?ex_cid=rrpromo#now
  • Options
    Nothing yet on the GMB website but a couple of interesting facts. The deadline was today, so someone earned their money with the count. And the poll didn't include members in Scotland.
  • Options
    @iainjwatson: Looks like around 60/40 smith win over Corbyn in #Gmb #labourleadership ballot
  • Options

The Constituency Labour Parties must be the crucial part, without them the MPs are on borrowed time and I would imagine that the name and the buildings/bank accounts would also be controlled directly or indirectly by the CLPs.
    If that is correct, then how can the CLPs be in the 'moderate' camp when the vast majority of the members aren't? Surely the members can just vote out the old guard and do as they want?
  • Options
    @BBCEleanorG: *** BREAKING *** GMB Union backs Owen Smith for Labour leader 60% voted for Smith, 40% voted for Corbyn and 43,419 voted
  • Options
    @SamCoatesTimes: Big victory for Owen Smith, winning 60% to 40% votes from GMB members. Tim Roache, gen sec, says "It's time for us to face up to reality"
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Dromedary said:

Todd Vaziri and David Robinson have published some excellent analyses of Donald Trump's tweets.

Links: Todd Vaziri,
    David Robinson,
    Jasper Johnson's write-up in the Guardian.

Writing your own medical report and getting a medic to sign it...hmm...

• Options
    Dromedary said:

I noted the sentence beginning "Actually, his blood pressure". Using a comma after the word "Actually" in that context is an example of a poor writing style. But exactly this ugly usage has appeared many times in Donald Trump's tweets.

I though actually was an adverb, and you put a comma after all adverbs which start a sentence?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@BBCEleanorG: *** BREAKING *** GMB Union backs Owen Smith for Labour leader 60% voted for Smith, 40% voted for Corbyn and 43,419 voted

Under 10% turnout?
  • Options
    631,000/43,419 = an unenthusiastic endorsement of either candidate.
  • Options

I wonder what proportion of those balloted are Labour voters, let alone Labour members? Whilst the politically switched-on non-Labour might vote for Corbyn out of mischief, most are likely to go "Corbyn? Not bloody likely..."

I don't think it gives us much insight into how the Labour members will vote.
  • Options
    @rosschawkins: GMB Gen Sec Tim Roache: I'll proudly campaign alongside Owen - living through dangerous political times - time to face up to reality

@rosschawkins: Union chief Tim Roache: GMB members cannot afford for Labour to be talking to itself in a bubble for the next five years
  • Options
    Terrible start for Froome in the time trial.
  • Options

If that is correct, then how can the CLPs be in the 'moderate' camp when the vast majority of the members aren't? Surely the members can just vote out the old guard and do as they want?

The new members will all vote for Corbyn. But they don't do anything to participate in the Labour Party other than vote Corbyn. They have no interest in the Labour Party, or think that campaigning is posting bullshit memes on Facebook. In our CLP secret Facebook group are several new members who are very very angry with the Labour Party and are here to take it back. But haven't been to any meetings or done any campaigning despite the multiple invites to the daily doorknocking/leafleting we're doing for a forthcoming byelection.

So all this "we'll deselect MPs" nonsense. No you won't. Because you won't turn up to meetings and if we thought you would we have as many sane members who turn out rarely who we could muster for a vote if required.

• Options

FPT:
    Tissue_Price said:

You don't have to swim faster than the shark, just faster than the guy swimming next to you :)
    Very good news for Michael Phelps - not so good for his training team.....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@rosschawkins: GMB Gen Sec Tim Roache: I'll proudly campaign alongside Owen - living through dangerous political times - time to face up to reality

@rosschawkins: Union chief Tim Roache: GMB members cannot afford for Labour to be talking to itself in a bubble for the next five years

Bloody Tory.....
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    In the days of Labour's electoral college (oh how they must be missing that now), the GMB position might have more impact.

Given the very low turnout in their poll and the fact that they cannot actually vote as a bloc, then it really doesn't give us any idea as to how those GMB members who can actually vote will cast their ballots.

If this and his 'private polling' is the best Smith can manage, things are bad in his camp.
  • Options

I wonder what proportion of those balloted are Labour voters, let alone Labour members? Whilst the politically switched-on non-Labour might vote for Corbyn out of mischief, most are likely to go "Corbyn? Not bloody likely..."

It doesn't. But it bursts a lot of Corbynista balloons about support from ordinary voters and mass rallies.

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    FPT

Sorry just catching up. Re:Tradesmen's earnings versus the graduate premium, unless one is academically very gifted (i.e. about 10% f the young people university would seem a very bad deal compared to taking up a skilled trade).

I have just had the final bill from the chap who ripped out the old and put in a new bathroom - £4,220 for two week's work, that is labour only, materials plus, tiles, fittings etc were in addition. How many people, graduates or otherwise, earn £2,000 a week? The bloke concerned is a graduate and used to work installing and maintaining flight simulators for CAe, he switched to a job that earns him more and allows him to spend more time at home with wife and family. He doesn't advertise, but is now booked solid until mid-January 2017.

The fellow I found, after months of searching, to repoint one corner of the house (five days work at £300 a day) has now pulled out, better money on offer elsewhere. The qualified plumber we had in to re-jig the hot water system prior to the new bathroom, £400 a day. Electricians cost about the same is you can get one (fellow at the pub runs a spark's business, and is run off his feet, cannot recruit enough qualified people and, get this, can't find youngsters to take on as apprentices).

Graduate premium, my bottom. Ok, a sparks is a sparks, a plumber a plumber and there is no career ladder to climb. But at 2 grand a week who would worry.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

I noted the sentence beginning "Actually, his blood pressure". Using a comma after the word "Actually" in that context is an example of a poor writing style.

"Citation needed"
  • Options

It doesn't. But it bursts a lot of Corbynista balloons about support from ordinary voters and mass rallies.

They insist its the mass movement (Corbyn) against Tories and the establishment (Smith). Except of course it isn't. So far anyone not pledging fealty to Jezbollah has been branded a Tory. Would love to see how they try and call card carrying unionists Tories...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    edited August 2016

As an aside, glad Armstrong beat the suspiciously fast Russian just back from a doping ban in the women's time trial.

Mr Dancer, Lizzie Armitstead missed a few doping tests, didn't she?.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    RobD said:

Dromedary said:

I though actually was an adverb, and you put a comma after all adverbs which start a sentence?
    Nah. "Finally the moment arrived". "Often that's what I did". In most contexts, commas would look awful in those sentences. Do you want your reader to pause? Use a comma after "actually" if you want to emphasise "actually". Which might be desired if the author wants to appear as if they're holding their nose in the air.
  • Options
    @mellotrono: GMB stands for General Municipal and Blairites Trade Union. Easy for @Socialist_party to explain away https://t.co/5Poipx9dLE
  • Options

Terrible start for Froome in the time trial.

Can we go to the 2016 Team GB Athletes Shop and ask for our money back?
  • Options
    Dr. Prasannan, wasn't the ban overturned on appeal? Also, Armitstead doesn't come from a country found to have run state-sponsored doping of athletes.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

RobD said:

Dromedary said:

Nah. "Finally the moment arrived". "Often that's what I did". In most contexts, commas would look awful in those sentences. Do you want your reader to pause? Use a comma after "actually" if you want to emphasise "actually".
    Citation needed
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Dr. Prasannan, wasn't the ban overturned on appeal? Also, Armitstead doesn't come from a country found to have run state-sponsored doping of athletes.

Mr Dancer: "In a 5 August 2016 interview, she said she believes that people will doubt her status as a clean sportsperson forever."
  • Options

If we cut it, can we please cut it to 10% (or zero)? 15% and in particular 17.5% were annoying to calculate in my head...

Nonsense, 15 & 17.5% were picked because they could be calculated by your average workman.

If you can get 10% then 15% is 10% + half 10% = 5% and 17.5% was just half of the 5% added on

Easy to work out & add up.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

RobD said:

Dromedary said:

Nah. "Finally the moment arrived". "Often that's what I did". In most contexts, commas would look awful in those sentences. Do you want your reader to pause? Use a comma after "actually" if you want to emphasise "actually". Which might be desired if the author wants to appear as if they're holding their nose in the air.
    "When an introductory adverbial element seems to modify the entire sentence and not just the verb or some single element in the rest of the sentence, put a comma after it." - http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/commas_intro.htm

Which is what the actually did in that sentence.
  • Options

Only two.
  • Options

And the media seems to have kept her at arms length.... No great love-in for her.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2016
    Froome further back at the second time check. Rips up betting slip*....

* Joke, I haven't backed him, because ToF going to bugger even the most drugged up superhuman, let alone Froome.
  • Options

If this and his 'private polling' is the best Smith can manage, things are bad in his camp.

Miliband also backed Smith – never underestimate the power of a failed leader’s endorsement.
  • Options

Nonsense, 15 & 17.5% were picked because they could be calculated by your average workman.

If you can get 10% then 15% is 10% + half 10% = 5% and 17.5% was just half of the 5% added on

Easy to work out & add up.
    Yeah, I can do it. But 10% and 20% are easier!
  • Options

The new members will all vote for Corbyn. But they don't do anything to participate in the Labour Party other than vote Corbyn. They have no interest in the Labour Party, or think that campaigning is posting bullshit memes on Facebook. In our CLP secret Facebook group are several new members who are very very angry with the Labour Party and are here to take it back. But haven't been to any meetings or done any campaigning despite the multiple invites to the daily doorknocking/leafleting we're doing for a forthcoming byelection.

So all this "we'll deselect MPs" nonsense. No you won't. Because you won't turn up to meetings and if we thought you would we have as many sane members who turn out rarely who we could muster for a vote if required.

I'll take your word for it, but you'd be in trouble if just 10% or 15% or the Corbynistas get a taste for taking over the CLPs.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Froome further back at the second time check''

Why didn't they go with Wiggins? he's the defending champ.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I don't see how your transfer of assets to a new company would be legal but am not an expert.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''Froome further back at the second time check''

Why didn't they go with Wiggins? he's the defending champ.

Wiggins has gone back to track cycling, Team GB had to find another willing participant.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

FPT

Sorry just catching up. Re:Tradesmen's earnings versus the graduate premium, unless one is academically very gifted (i.e. about 10% f the young people university would seem a very bad deal compared to taking up a skilled trade).

I have just had the final bill from the chap who ripped out the old and put in a new bathroom - £4,220 for two week's work, that is labour only, materials plus, tiles, fittings etc were in addition. How many people, graduates or otherwise, earn £2,000 a week? The bloke concerned is a graduate and used to work installing and maintaining flight simulators for CAe, he switched to a job that earns him more and allows him to spend more time at home with wife and family. He doesn't advertise, but is now booked solid until mid-January 2017.

The fellow I found, after months of searching, to repoint one corner of the house (five days work at £300 a day) has now pulled out, better money on offer elsewhere. The qualified plumber we had in to re-jig the hot water system prior to the new bathroom, £400 a day. Electricians cost about the same is you can get one (fellow at the pub runs a spark's business, and is run off his feet, cannot recruit enough qualified people and, get this, can't find youngsters to take on as apprentices).

Graduate premium, my bottom. Ok, a sparks is a sparks, a plumber a plumber and there is no career ladder to climb. But at 2 grand a week who would worry.

You're living in the wrong part of the country, senor Llama - I have a very talented local stonemason who will work for a third of the price you've been paying. Getting on a bit in years but 'proper job' every time.

Since I moved back to the west country 15 years ago I reckon I pay on average about half for tradesmen that I used to in the home counties (roughly adjusting for inflation). Usually better work as well.

• Options
    edited August 2016

Dromedary said:

RobD said:

Dromedary said:

Nah. "Finally the moment arrived". "Often that's what I did". In most contexts, commas would look awful in those sentences. Do you want your reader to pause? Use a comma after "actually" if you want to emphasise "actually".
    Citation needed
    It's not a prescriptive rule. (It's RobD who's proposing one of those.) I'm just talking about style and effects. I haven't got sources to hand. I think any good writer on style who covers pace and punctuation would agree, so it's probably in, say, Joseph Williams's Towards Clarity and Grace, and in books by Jeanne Fahnestock and Martha Kolln. Just read "Often that's what I did" and "Often, that's what I did" and listen to your ear :)

I wasn't meaning to argue correctness. That Trump's usage is ugly is my opinion. That it's dismissive and haughty is more objective, because to put a comma after "actually" in such contexts makes the reader linger on it, and thereby emphasises it, and why?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Dromedary said:

Dromedary said:

RobD said:

Dromedary said:

Citation needed
    It's not a prescriptive rule. I'm just talking about style and effects. I haven't got sources to hand. I think any good writer on style who covers pace and punctuation would agree, so it's probably in, say, Joseph Williams's Towards Clarity and Grace, and in books by Jeanne Fahnestock and Martha Kolln. Just read "Often that's what I did" and "Often, that's what I did" and listen to your ear :)

I wasn't meaning to argue correctness. That Trump's usage is ugly is my opinion. That it's dismissive and haughty is more objective, because to put a comma after "actually" in such contexts makes the reader linger on it, and thereby emphasises it, and why?
    @RobD beat me to it!

"When an introductory adverbial element seems to modify the entire sentence and not just the verb or some single element in the rest of the sentence, put a comma after it." - http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/commas_intro.htm
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

Dromedary said:

RobD said:

Dromedary said:

Citation needed
    It's not a prescriptive rule. I'm just talking about style and effects. I haven't got sources to hand. I think any good writer on style who covers pace and punctuation would agree, so it's probably in, say, Joseph Williams's Towards Clarity and Grace, and in books by Jeanne Fahnestock and Martha Kolln. Just read "Often that's what I did" and "Often, that's what I did" and listen to your ear :)

Perhaps because he actually wanted to emphasise it?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Hi all, I've been away for a bit, which was just as well as I cannot stand Corbyn, so him and the August blues, will to me, fly past, as if I wasn't there; and I won't be. How's that for sadistic syntax and quantum time?
  • Options
    George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 17m17 minutes ago
    Corbyn won 58% of affiliated supporters last time. GMB members have backed Smith by 60-40.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    Smith has come in a bit on BF since I looked this morning. Now at 9.2
  • Options
    Got to love judges

A judge stunned a courtroom by using the C-word as she jailed a racist thug.

Vile John Hennigan, 50, was being sentenced by Judge Patricia Lynch QC when he told her she was "a bit of a c***"

But, taking no prisoners, the judge immediately retorted: "You are a bit of a c*** yourself. Being offensive to me doesn't help."

Hennigan shouted back: "Go f*** yourself."

"You too," replied the judge.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/judge-tells-man-youre-bit-8600651#ICID=sharebar_twitter
This discussion has been closed.