Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Owen Smith team says it has private LAB leadership poll wit

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Something where we can beat the world at the Olympics - finishing fourth:

6: Great Britain

4: China; US

3: Australia

2: Italy, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Japan, Colombia

1: North Korea, Canada, New Zealand, Switzerland, Ukraine, India, Slovakia, Mexico, Spain, South Africa, Russia, Hungary, Netherlands, Kazakhstan, Dominica, Latvia, Ecuador

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018

1: North Korea, Canada, New Zealand, Switzerland, Ukraine, India, Slovakia, Mexico, Spain, South Africa, Russia, Hungary, Netherlands, Kazakhstan, Dominica, Latvia, Ecuador

Is Fourth the new First? I'll have to make a mental note of that for the new thread.....
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    DanSmith said:

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 17m17 minutes ago
    Corbyn won 58% of affiliated supporters last time. GMB members have backed Smith by 60-40.

But are the two comparable?

Was the GMB poll just for affiliated supporters? If not, there is no comparison to be made
  • Options

Got to love judges

A judge stunned a courtroom by using the C-word as she jailed a racist thug.

Vile John Hennigan, 50, was being sentenced by Judge Patricia Lynch QC when he told her she was "a bit of a c***"

But, taking no prisoners, the judge immediately retorted: "You are a bit of a c*** yourself. Being offensive to me doesn't help."

Hennigan shouted back: "Go f*** yourself."

"You too," replied the judge.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/judge-tells-man-youre-bit-8600651#ICID=sharebar_twitter

She should have just upped his sentence by 10 years per insult. :D
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    The GMB members ballot is consistent with the polls that showed union members having no faith in Jeremy Corbyn from a month or two or so ago.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    DanSmith said:

Corbyn won 58% of affiliated supporters last time. GMB members have backed Smith by 60-40.

GMB were most likely to back Smith (it was neutral before).
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited August 2016
    RobD said:

Dromedary said:

Dromedary said:

RobD said:

Dromedary said:

I noted the sentence beginning "Actually, his blood pressure". Using a comma after the word "Actually" in that context is an example of a poor writing style. But exactly this ugly usage has appeared many times in Donald Trump's tweets.

You can verify that by running this search.

I though actually was an adverb, and you put a comma after all adverbs which start a sentence?
    Nah. "Finally the moment arrived". "Often that's what I did". In most contexts, commas would look awful in those sentences. Do you want your reader to pause? Use a comma after "actually" if you want to emphasise "actually".
    Citation needed
    It's not a prescriptive rule. I'm just talking about style and effects. I haven't got sources to hand. I think any good writer on style who covers pace and punctuation would agree, so it's probably in, say, Joseph Williams's Towards Clarity and Grace, and in books by Jeanne Fahnestock and Martha Kolln. Just read "Often that's what I did" and "Often, that's what I did" and listen to your ear :)

I wasn't meaning to argue correctness. That Trump's usage is ugly is my opinion. That it's dismissive and haughty is more objective, because to put a comma after "actually" in such contexts makes the reader linger on it, and thereby emphasises it, and why?
    Perhaps because he actually wanted to emphasise it?
    Exactly.

But what are the chances that his medic similarly thumps the table all the time when he writes medical reports?

PS "Perhaps" is an adverb, so didn't you just break your own rule? :)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @jessicaelgot: Smith campaign saying GMB v significant because of ballot, which other unions not doing-"Our guess would be others either split or pro-Owen"

Smith is now going to claim "union mandate" all the way.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Dromedary said:

Dromedary said:

RobD said:

Dromedary said:

I noted the sentence beginning "Actually, his blood pressure". Using a comma after the word "Actually" in that context is an example of a poor writing style. But exactly this ugly usage has appeared many times in Donald Trump's tweets.

I though actually was an adverb, and you put a comma after all adverbs which start a sentence?
    Nah. "Finally the moment arrived". "Often that's what I did". In most contexts, commas would look awful in those sentences. Do you want your reader to pause? Use a comma after "actually" if you want to emphasise "actually".
    Citation needed
    It's not a prescriptive rule. I'm just talking about style and effects. I haven't got sources to hand. I think any good writer on style who covers pace and punctuation would agree, so it's probably in, say, Joseph Williams's Towards Clarity and Grace, and in books by Jeanne Fahnestock and Martha Kolln. Just read "Often that's what I did" and "Often, that's what I did" and listen to your ear :)

I wasn't meaning to argue correctness. That Trump's usage is ugly is my opinion. That it's dismissive and haughty is more objective, because to put a comma after "actually" in such contexts makes the reader linger on it, and thereby emphasises it, and why?
    Actually, perhaps it was because he wanted to emphasise it? :lol:
  • Options

Got to love judges

Vile John Hennigan, 50, was being sentenced by Judge Patricia Lynch QC when he told her she was "a bit of a c***"

But, taking no prisoners, the judge immediately retorted: "You are a bit of a c*** yourself. Being offensive to me doesn't help."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/judge-tells-man-youre-bit-8600651#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Got to have been tempting to reply to his "Go f*** yourself" with "There'll be plenty to f*** you, where you're going...."
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

RobD said:

Dromedary said:

Dromedary said:

RobD said:

Dromedary said:

Citation needed

Exactly.

But what are the chances that his medic similarly thumps the table all the time when he writes medical reports?
    Given that the idea of putting a comma after an adverb is a common one, it is hardly a slam dunk that Trump wrote it.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@jessicaelgot: Smith campaign saying GMB v significant because of ballot, which other unions not doing-"Our guess would be others either split or pro-Owen"

He can claim all he likes

But he will be lying.

There is nothing that can be extrapolated from a very small turnout result from one union. And he knows it.

It is not enough to stop Momentum. And he knows that too.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Got to love judges

She should have just upped his sentence by 10 years per insult. :D
    As it is, his brief will no doubt be filing a claim for compensation for "hurt and distress caused to my client...."
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

DanSmith said:

Was the GMB poll just for affiliated supporters? If not, there is no comparison to be made
    with such a low turnout it is likely only those that have a vote in the leadership battle actually voted.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,129
    Dromedary said:

rcs1000 said:
    Yes, I read it some time ago. Trump's odds are way too long at the moment.
    “The best Trump linguistic kill shots,” Adams writes,”have the following qualities: 1. Fresh word that is not generally used in politics; 2. Relates to the physicality of the subject (so you are always reminded).”
    Indeed. Neurolinguistic programming (NLP) uses a similar notion that they call "anchoring".
    “thinking past the sale” so the initial part of his premise is stated as a given
    Again, spot on. For example in the latest hoohah the surface issue is whether Trump is encouraging violence; but the message that is cemented is "Hillary wants your guns".

It was always clear that this election was going to feature a huge dose of macho crap on the Republican side, and as Germaine Greer says, never underestimate that stuff.

If Trump survives the next few days, he's going to appear in the debates and do well in them, I reckon.

Have you read Robert Cialdini's book Influence? It's required reading in the field. It's up there with Ogilvy on Advertising.

Influence: the psychology of persuasion?

Yes, it's awesome
  • Options
    nunu said:

DanSmith said:

with such a low turnout it is likely only those that have a vote in the leadership battle actually voted.
    There is absolutely no way of knowing that. None at all.
  • Options

He can claim all he likes

But he will be lying.

There is nothing that can be extrapolated from a very small turnout result from one union. And he knows it.

It is not enough to stop Momentum. And he knows that too.

It is more accurate than Corbyn's claims of electoral success...
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 843
    My private poll involves half a dozen Labour members none of whom approves of either and will not be voting!
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    runnymede said:

<

You're living in the wrong part of the country, senor Llama - I have a very talented local stonemason who will work for a third of the price you've been paying. Getting on a bit in years but 'proper job' every time.

Since I moved back to the west country 15 years ago I reckon I pay on average about half for tradesmen that I used to in the home counties (roughly adjusting for inflation). Usually better work as well.

Fair go Mr. Mede and I would love to move out of the South East (actually I would hate the upheaval, the work and the cost, but needs must when the Devil drives). It is just that Herself and I cannot agree where to move to - Northumberland, Dorset, Central Portugal, Southern area of the Netherlands are all on the table we just can't make up our mind.

However, that has nothing to do with the supposed graduate premium, which I would argue for most students is non-existent and that they would be better off going into a trade. Actually, for most bright, fit but not academically gifted youngsters the best bet is to go in to HM Forces and let them teach you a trade while you have fun and adventure for a few years. E.g. the RN is desperate for engineers and will not only train youngsters but pay them well and send them off shagging and drinking around the world as part of the deal and with more sport than they can cope with. Got to better than £30k plus worth of debt for a crap degree from a crap Uni.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Labour Insider ‏@Labour_Insider 1m1 minute ago

It's an absolute disaster for Owen Smith to only win the @GMB_union nomination 60/40. This is a very right wing union due to Blarite cllrs.

Well, can't argue with that, can you..?
  • Options
    @SophyRidgeSky: Corbyn campaign source blames "certain right wing political officers" for GMB Owen Smith nomination https://t.co/YEdKC9INis
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Corbyn campaign rattled for the first time, good to see.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2016
    Scott_P said:

@SophyRidgeSky: Corbyn campaign source blames "certain right wing political officers" for GMB Owen Smith nomination https://t.co/YEdKC9INis

They think union officials are right wing? Christ, they must think I'm Ghengis Khan. Weird.
  • Options
    John_M said:

They think union officials are right wing? Christ, they must think I'm Ghengis Khan. Weird.

It's the new Shibboleth

"Support Corbyn?"

"No"

"Tory..."
  • Options
    @SophyRidgeSky: According to Tom Watson, the following is being circulated by "Momentum members with links to far-left parties" https://t.co/5069jDqW3B
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

runnymede said:

<

You're living in the wrong part of the country, senor Llama - I have a very talented local stonemason who will work for a third of the price you've been paying. Getting on a bit in years but 'proper job' every time.

Since I moved back to the west country 15 years ago I reckon I pay on average about half for tradesmen that I used to in the home counties (roughly adjusting for inflation). Usually better work as well.

Fair go Mr. Mede and I would love to move out of the South East (actually I would hate the upheaval, the work and the cost, but needs must when the Devil drives). It is just that Herself and I cannot agree where to move to - Northumberland, Dorset, Central Portugal, Southern area of the Netherlands are all on the table we just can't make up our mind.

However, that has nothing to do with the supposed graduate premium, which I would argue for most students is non-existent and that they would be better off going into a trade. Actually, for most bright, fit but not academically gifted youngsters the best bet is to go in to HM Forces and let them teach you a trade while you have fun and adventure for a few years. E.g. the RN is desperate for engineers and will not only train youngsters but pay them well and send them off shagging and drinking around the world as part of the deal and with more sport than they can cope with. Got to better than £30k plus worth of debt for a crap degree from a crap Uni.

Part of the problem these days is that when applying for jobs, employers use the "no degree" check to eliminate non-graduates - a lazy way of narrowing the field. This is unfair, but puts pressure on kids to get a degree (any degree). Another bad result from pushing too many to go to uni.

They can, of course, start their own trade or business.

(no commas were harmed, in the making, of this post)

• Options

runnymede said:

<

Looking at this list, train driver seems to be an extraordinarily lucrative career:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/article-2269520/Best-paid-jobs-2012-Official-figures-national-average-UK-salaries-400-occupations.html
  • Options
    Watson tries to get Corbyn to condemn his own entryists...

@SophyRidgeSky: Watson has written to Corbyn asking him to confirm members of "far-left" parties shouldn't be able to join Labour https://t.co/AaoTZ3Kqt6
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@SophyRidgeSky: According to Tom Watson, the following is being circulated by "Momentum members with links to far-left parties" https://t.co/5069jDqW3B

Is Tom Watson complaining about them borrowing his methods without a hat tip? :lol:
  • Options

runnymede said:

<

Looking at this list, train driver seems to be an extraordinarily lucrative career:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/article-2269520/Best-paid-jobs-2012-Official-figures-national-average-UK-salaries-400-occupations.html
    They have awesome leverage, given the chaos strikes can cause on the railway.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@SophyRidgeSky: Watson has written to Corbyn asking him to confirm members of "far-left" parties shouldn't be able to join Labour https://t.co/AaoTZ3Kqt6

But surely if someone wants to give up their previous allegiance and join Labour, that is a good thing...

Converting people to your way of thinking is how politics works
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Ha!

Whilst you're about - do you know anything about the story that Suicide Squad was re-shot in large chunks to match the trailer as previewers didn't like the director's version? Read an interesting article about it, but wondered if it was anywhere near the truth.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. D, paying Danegeld only leads to demands for larger quantities.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    Add 4 points on to the USA score vs Fiji for working out whether they or New Zealand are going through to the final stage.
  • Options

Mr. D, paying Danegeld only leads to demands for larger quantities.

Not paying tends to lead to pillaging and burning!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Well quite. Anyone who fails to offer fealty to Jez is a Tory....
    Scott_P said:

I have a real example of exactly this in action. One member who turns up to every meeting in his Momentum tshirt. Is waging a bitter war against his local branch party insisting that their AGM was illegal, demanding minutes and rulings and threatening complaints. Stood up at one meeting berating the campaign coordinator for things he wasn't responsible for, an argument he has continued by email and by absurd complaints on our Facebook group. Has attacked the EC as being "a rightist coup"

Several of us have wondered what the hell he's playing at. Now I know
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,811

runnymede said:

<

I think £44K is a reasonable reward for a mainline train driver responsible for 500 passengers. It gets less justifiable when you are carrying 10 passengers on a branch line. Same issue for driver-only trains.

---

If you are advising a teenager who doesn't know what career to do, point him or her to this one:

40 Waste disposal and environmental services managers £45,982 15.7 (% increase since 2011)

It's an unglamorous but reasonably fulfilling job with 100% employment prospects after coming out of college
  • Options

I have a real example of exactly this in action. One member who turns up to every meeting in his Momentum tshirt. Is waging a bitter war against his local branch party insisting that their AGM was illegal, demanding minutes and rulings and threatening complaints. Stood up at one meeting berating the campaign coordinator for things he wasn't responsible for, an argument he has continued by email and by absurd complaints on our Facebook group. Has attacked the EC as being "a rightist coup"

Several of us have wondered what the hell he's playing at. Now I know

So at the next meeting you can ask him, at length, which page of the militant handbook he is following at each point...
  • Options
    @GuidoFawkes: UKIP NEC Quitters Unresign: https://t.co/72SoFX6hbE https://t.co/yHlGna0b5I

Unbelievable, and yet somehow inevitable...
  • Options
    Mr. D, time to build some burhs.

[Burhs were fortified towns whose people benefited from the defence they manned whilst also meaning there were safe places for the Saxon army to stop and the fyrd rotations system (I think it was by thirds or maybe halves) enabled easier raising of soldiers even during harvest time].
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    If this is the poll that I participated in on monday for YouGov, then I would be very wary of anyone getting too carried away on the betting front on the basis of this The questions seemed to me to be slightly loaded in favour of Smith.

It gave various statements which I regarded as leading questions and I was left with the impression that the poll was actually trying to change opinion rather than polling opinion. After each set of statements, it asked something along the lines of - after considering the previous question, now how would you vote? It felt like I was expected to change my mind.

It could just be an exercise by the Smith camp to try and find out which attack lines are the better ones to use as the campaign goes on.

I hope the results are printed in full, to enable others to see what I mean.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RobD said:

Dromedary said:

Dromedary said:

RobD said:

Dromedary said:

Citation needed

Shurely:

"Perhaps because he, actually, wanted to emphasise it?"
  • Options

runnymede said:

<

@FeersumEnjineeya
    That list is for years old and was probably complete boll***s when it was compiled.

@MarkHopkins
    Lazy by the employers without a doubt. Such employers will go to the wall in due course (I bet every one that uses that sort of screening has a big HR department and a grand HQ building). The point is that is one has the earning potential of £2k per week then what some Doris in HR wants doesn't really matter.

Went out shopping in the nearest town today. There is a building site there that had a sign on the hoarding surrounding it, "Bricklayers wanted - £500 per week". That sign was there two months ago.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,732
    Scott_P said:

@GuidoFawkes: UKIP NEC Quitters Unresign: https://t.co/72SoFX6hbE https://t.co/yHlGna0b5I

Unbelievable, and yet somehow inevitable...

A great tribute to Farage.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139

If this and his 'private polling' is the best Smith can manage, things are bad in his camp.

Miliband also backed Smith – never underestimate the power of a failed leader’s endorsement.
    He was doomed as soon as Jonah McTernan said he would win, that is the kiss of death.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited August 2016

runnymede said:

<

@FeersumEnjineeya
    That list is for years old and was probably complete boll***s when it was compiled.

@MarkHopkins
    Lazy by the employers without a doubt. Such employers will go to the wall in due course (I bet every one that uses that sort of screening has a big HR department and a grand HQ building). The point is that is one has the earning potential of £2k per week then what some Doris in HR wants doesn't really matter.

Went out shopping in the nearest town today. There is a building site there that had a sign on the hoarding surrounding it, "Bricklayers wanted - £500 per week". That sign was there two months ago.
    If they had put the sign in polish wouldnt have take 2 months. Would have finished building by then!
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited August 2016
    BudG said:

If this is the poll that I participated in on monday for YouGov, then I would be very wary of anyone getting too carried away on the betting front on the basis of this The questions seemed to me to be slightly loaded in favour of Smith.

It gave various statements which I regarded as leading questions and I was left with the impression that the poll was actually trying to change opinion rather than polling opinion. After each set of statements, it asked something along the lines of - after considering the previous question, now how would you vote? It felt like I was expected to change my mind.

It could just be an exercise by the Smith camp to try and find out which attack lines are the better ones to use as the campaign goes on.

I doubt that the poll actually exists, favourable private polls leaked by campaigns usually are non-existent.

Even if it does exist it probably was carried by Survation not Yougov, since Smith's phonebanks are located in their offices.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,927
    Owen Who?
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,637

Scott_P said:

But surely if someone wants to give up their previous allegiance and join Labour, that is a good thing...

Bear in mind that when you test our patience by posting things like that, no-one will believe you when you post things that you really do believe.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139
    Scott_P said:

He is still a dud and will get slaughtered
  • Options

runnymede said:

<

@FeersumEnjineeya

@MarkHopkins

HurstLlama, your casual dismissal of my references while you offer none to support your own contentions is getting a bit tedious. Why do you think the list is bollocks? What do you think is likely to have changed over the last four years? Why should I simply take you at your word?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,058
    Anyone on PB have kids they told to go into a trade instead of going to university? What was the outcome?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,927
    edited August 2016
    If Owen Who does win, at his first PMQ's Theresa May needs to get up and do a Farage...

Who are you? I've never heard you? The whole of the UK has never heard of you? :smiley:
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    Speedy said:

BudG said:

I doubt that the poll actually exists, favourable private polls leaked by campaigns usually are non-existent.

Even if it does exist it probably was carried by Survation not Yougov, since Smith's phonebanks are located in their offices.
    Well if it wasn't YouGov who carried out the poll then we should probably expect a poll from them this evening, as it was monday morning when I was polled. It did seem a little unusual though, the way they asked 4 or 5 times who I was going to vote for.

Have to admit, as a Corbyn supporter, when I get emails from the Owen Smith team asking me who I am supporting, I always say I am undecided. Call me paranoid, but knowing that the Labour Party seem to be looking for any excuse to bar Corbyn supporters from voting, telling the Smith camp that I am voting for Corbyn seems akin to putting a large target on my forehead! So if they are using feedback from their email shots then I would imagine there are other Corbyn supporters just as paranoid and will be non-committal

• Options
    Mr. Gin, regardless of who wins, May's next PMQs could be interesting. Her approach last time was quite striking.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Bear in mind that when you test our patience by posting things like that, no-one will believe you when you post things that you really do believe.
    My point was that people do switch between political parties on a pretty regular basis. It is very difficult to devise any system that will prevent entryism - and it could well be that some of these far-left types see Labour as a viable home for them under Corbyn. So why should that be prevented?

Attempting to enforce group-think is a dangerous route.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Ha!

Whilst you're about - do you know anything about the story that Suicide Squad was re-shot in large chunks to match the trailer as previewers didn't like the director's version? Read an interesting article about it, but wondered if it was anywhere near the truth.
    Sorry, haven't heard about that. Heard plenty about Tulip Fever though, and why that still isn't getting a release....despite very favourable responses from those who saw an extended trailer.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited August 2016
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Owen Who?

Typical Labour bod, in how he'd leave the country - Owin' Trillions....
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Interesting development.

ttps://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/763345197442793472

I gather 4 DNCers have been murdered/dropped dead unexpectedly in the very recent past. Great conspiracy theory fodder.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:
    Don't post Fox News sources about Hillary, it's a shame that reduces the credibility of the poster.

I told off PB for using the National Review as a credible source against Trump.
    It was debasing for the credibility of the writer and the site.

Never use naked partisan sources of questionable credibility.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

MP_SE said:

Interesting development.

ttps://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/763345197442793472

I gather 4 DNCers have been murdered/dropped dead unexpectedly in the very recent past. Great conspiracy theory fodder.
    Someone from the GOP sees the "Trump donated to NAMBLA" meme and raises it.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

MP_SE said:

Interesting development.

ps://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/763345197442793472

Don't post Fox News sources about Hillary, it's a shame that reduces the credibility of the poster.

Who made you site editor?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

MP_SE said:

What pretentious tosh.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,088

Mr. D, time to build some burhs.

[Burhs were fortified towns whose people benefited from the defence they manned whilst also meaning there were safe places for the Saxon army to stop and the fyrd rotations system (I think it was by thirds or maybe halves) enabled easier raising of soldiers even during harvest time].

Halves, according to Wikipedia.
  • Options
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Dromedary said:

Dromedary said:

RobD said:

Dromedary said:

Citation needed

Shurely:

Actually, perhaps it was because he wanted to emphasise it? :lol:
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Speedy said:

MP_SE said:

Most of the posters on here ruled out then?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,088
    PlatoSaid said:

Speedy said:

MP_SE said:

What pretentious tosh.
    Why not use such sources? Makes fact checking more interesting for the rest of us!
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Speedy said:

MP_SE said:

Interesting development.

Partisan sources of questionable credibility should not be used if someone wants to present a credible case.

Regardless of being this site editor or not, which I'm not, Fox News is not a credible source regarding Hillary.

The average person will never believe it, simply because the news outlet that reports it is well known for it's extreme bias against democrats.
  • Options
    King Cole, fair enough. As we have discussed many times, modern history isn't my strong point.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Speedy said:

MP_SE said:

What pretentious tosh.
    Fine.

You believe the crap from Fox News that Hillary murdered someone.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

MP_SE said:

Interesting development.

Partisan sources of questionable credibility should not be used if someone wants to present a credible case.
    Then ignore it, others can judge for themselves.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

MP_SE said:

Interesting development.

Bang goes PoliticalBetting.com :lol:

:lol:
  • Options
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Dromedary said:

Dromedary said:

RobD said:

Dromedary said:

Citation needed

Shurely:

Actually the word actually is redundant and the sentence should read:

Perhaps because he wanted to emphasise it.

No question mark either.
  • Options

HurstLlama, your casual dismissal of my references while you offer none to support your own contentions is getting a bit tedious. Why do you think the list is bollocks? What do you think is likely to have changed over the last four years? Why should I simply take you at your word?

Fair enough, old boy, you think my real world experience is tedious, ya'll get out there and give us some of your own.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Here this is much better than Fox News "Hillary is a murderer" stories, the source is still partisan but on the other side of the coin:

https://twitter.com/TheYoungTurks/status/763404564150095873
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Just look at it. Does this seem remotely credible ?

60 Barristers and judges £40,242 -5.3

"Judges and Barristers" only seven hundred quid a year better off than "Police Officers (Sergeant and Below)"
  • Options
    EPG said:

Anyone on PB have kids they told to go into a trade instead of going to university? What was the outcome?

My son was going to go into the Army because he thought it would save him doing all that tedious studying for A'levels and at college. Then he discovered that he would have to spend a similar amount of effort getting really fit, which would take away time from playing games on his XBox, so now he is looking at doing A'levels again :rolleyes:
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    Speedy said:

PlatoSaid said:

Speedy said:

MP_SE said:

What pretentious tosh.
    Fine.

Typical troll stuff from Assange/Putin/Trump. Trump says something then one of his allies tries to pin it on someone else. It's laughable, you'd have to be pretty stupid not to realise what is being done.

Snopes - http://www.snopes.com/seth-conrad-rich/
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,189
    Indigo said:

"Judges and Barristers" only seven hundred quid a year better off than "Police Officers (Sergeant and Below)"
    The average criminal or family law barrister will be on about that unless they are a QC, commercial barristers on the other hand will almost all be in 6 figures or even 7 if they are at the very top
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

nunu said:

DanSmith said:

Common sense.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

PlatoSaid said:

Speedy said:

MP_SE said:

What pretentious tosh.
    Fine.

Fox News needs to be careful because Trump supporters will be attracted by a macho Hillary.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

FPT

Sorry just catching up. Re:Tradesmen's earnings versus the graduate premium, unless one is academically very gifted (i.e. about 10% f the young people university would seem a very bad deal compared to taking up a skilled trade).

I have just had the final bill from the chap who ripped out the old and put in a new bathroom - £4,220 for two week's work, that is labour only, materials plus, tiles, fittings etc were in addition. How many people, graduates or otherwise, earn £2,000 a week? The bloke concerned is a graduate and used to work installing and maintaining flight simulators for CAe, he switched to a job that earns him more and allows him to spend more time at home with wife and family. He doesn't advertise, but is now booked solid until mid-January 2017.

The fellow I found, after months of searching, to repoint one corner of the house (five days work at £300 a day) has now pulled out, better money on offer elsewhere. The qualified plumber we had in to re-jig the hot water system prior to the new bathroom, £400 a day. Electricians cost about the same is you can get one (fellow at the pub runs a spark's business, and is run off his feet, cannot recruit enough qualified people and, get this, can't find youngsters to take on as apprentices).

Graduate premium, my bottom. Ok, a sparks is a sparks, a plumber a plumber and there is no career ladder to climb. But at 2 grand a week who would worry.

Most plumbers are on mid £20k or a little above, of course the more people train as plumbers and electricians the less demand there will be for them and the few who are very highly paid will diminish rapidly
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    HYUFD said:

Indigo said:

The average criminal or family law barrister will be on about that unless they are a QC, commercial barristers on the other hand will almost all be in 6 figures or even 7 if they are at the very top
    In their first year maybe (even leaving judges to one side)

http://www.allaboutlaw.co.uk/stage/becoming-a-lawyer/the-truth-about-lawyers-salaries

As a barrister’s level of experience grows, so their clients and cases will increase in value: a barrister with five years’ experience may expect to earn a salary between £50,000 and £200,000, while wages for those with 10 or more years’ experience might range from around £65,000 to over £1 million.
  • Options
    EPG said:

* tumbleweed *
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

FPT

Sorry just catching up. Re:Tradesmen's earnings versus the graduate premium, unless one is academically very gifted (i.e. about 10% f the young people university would seem a very bad deal compared to taking up a skilled trade).

I have just had the final bill from the chap who ripped out the old and put in a new bathroom - £4,220 for two week's work, that is labour only, materials plus, tiles, fittings etc were in addition. How many people, graduates or otherwise, earn £2,000 a week? The bloke concerned is a graduate and used to work installing and maintaining flight simulators for CAe, he switched to a job that earns him more and allows him to spend more time at home with wife and family. He doesn't advertise, but is now booked solid until mid-January 2017.

The fellow I found, after months of searching, to repoint one corner of the house (five days work at £300 a day) has now pulled out, better money on offer elsewhere. The qualified plumber we had in to re-jig the hot water system prior to the new bathroom, £400 a day. Electricians cost about the same is you can get one (fellow at the pub runs a spark's business, and is run off his feet, cannot recruit enough qualified people and, get this, can't find youngsters to take on as apprentices).

Graduate premium, my bottom. Ok, a sparks is a sparks, a plumber a plumber and there is no career ladder to climb. But at 2 grand a week who would worry.

Most plumbers are on mid £20k or a little above, of course the more people train as plumbers and electricians the less demand there will be for them and the few who are very highly paid will diminish rapidly
    Source please ? With special reference to your use of the word "most"
  • Options
    nunu said:

nunu said:

DanSmith said:

Common sense.
    No. Just speculation.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211
    BBC finds an anti Brexit angle via the Fringe Festival.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

EPG said:

My son was going to go into the Army because he thought it would save him doing all that tedious studying for A'levels and at college. Then he discovered that he would have to spend a similar amount of effort getting really fit, which would take away time from playing games on his XBox, so now he is looking at doing A'levels again :rolleyes:
    Five nephews: one brickie, one long distance lorry driver (but he's a trained joiner), one sports physio (with a national team), one software developer, one fashion designer. Middle two have degrees.
  • Options

EPG said:

* tumbleweed *
    I answered you above ;-) But obviously its a hard sell to most kids, who are not yet interested in things like student loans, it seems like 4 years of paid drinking, partying and getting laid, with some studying and lessons on the side. It's hard work suggesting they give that up and go and learn a trade even if it would make more sense in many cases.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Indigo said:

EPG said:

Five nephews: one brickie, one long distance lorry driver (but he's a trained joiner), one sports physio (with a national team), one software developer, one fashion designer. Middle two have degrees.
    Which ones earn the most money?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Indigo said:

HYUFD said:

Indigo said:

http://www.allaboutlaw.co.uk/stage/becoming-a-lawyer/the-truth-about-lawyers-salaries

As a barrister’s level of experience grows, so their clients and cases will increase in value: a barrister with five years’ experience may expect to earn a salary between £50,000 and £200,000, while wages for those with 10 or more years’ experience might range from around £65,000 to over £1 million.
    Notice you use the word barrister rather than noting their practice area which is far more important. Most criminal barristers are on about £15k as pupils their commercial counterparts on about £50k and even if criminal barristers do earn around £65k after a decade or two once you take into account chamber's fees and costume hire and travel costs etc it is nothing like that. Most legal aid barristers will never reach that level anyway. It is only the commercial barristers who really make millions at the Bar
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    538 indicate that Trump is polling fourth among AA voters, around 1-2% and has the worst position at this stage of election year since 1948 :

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-is-in-fourth-place-among-black-voters/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Indigo said:

HYUFD said:

Indigo said:

Notice you use the word barrister rather than noting their practice area which is far more important. Most criminal barristers are on about £15k as pupils their commercial counterparts on about £50k and even if criminal barristers do earn around £65k after a decade or two once you take into account chamber's fees and costume hire and travel costs etc it is nothing like that. Most legal aid barristers will never reach that level anyway. It is only the commercial barristers who really make millions at the Bar
    I didn't use anything of the sort, I quoted from an article written on the subject of barrister's salaries. I think you would call black a type of white if you thought you could make an argument out of it.
  • Options

John_M said:

Indigo said:

EPG said:

Software developer, brickie, lorry driver in that order. The other two are on pretty crap money.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

MP_SE said:

Interesting development.

Bang goes PoliticalBetting.com :lol:

:lol:
    Given PB Tories are infallible, I assume they can be used as a credible source on PB? :D
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,912
    edited August 2016
    John_M said:

John_M said:

Indigo said:

EPG said:

Software developer, brickie, lorry driver in that order. The other two are on pretty crap money.
    That's what I would have guessed, though I imagine fashion designer is one of those trades which is usually badly paid, apart from an elite few who can earn shedloads. Edit: And I suppose that sports physio is one of those jobs done more for the glamour than the money.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Indigo said:

HYUFD said:

FPT

Source please ? With special reference to your use of the word "most"
    Payscale - The average wage for a plumber is £10.88 an hour, salaries typically range from £12,474 to £36,047. The national average is £22,607
    http://www.payscale.com/research/UK/Job=Plumber/Hourly_Rate
  • Options
    John_M said:

Indigo said:

EPG said:

Middle two, out of five? :D
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    RobD said:

John_M said:

Indigo said:

EPG said:

Middle two, out of five? :D
    It's been a long day :). It's exhausting correcting all the people who are wrong on the Internet, including yours truly ;).
This discussion has been closed.