Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ex-LAB MP and PB regular, Nick Palmer, on why a party split

124»

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    Wonder how much it changes after the fact. The FTSE has totally rebounded since then.
    It may have rebounded a bit but probably not a full $1 billion worth
    FTSE100 up 10% since the peak right before the referendum, GBP down 13% since the peak before the referendum. If he was lucky he might have just broke even!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,528

A bit more competence and bit less on legal fees required from Labour NEC.
    And it would appear that Labour doesn't understand that STV is the most appropriate way to elect a group off six people. A slate of six for six places, all of whom win, isn't delivering effective representation even if the slate got half of the votes, or more.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

@ChrisMasonBBC: Billionaire landowner the Duke of Westminster, Gerald Cavendish Grosvenor, died
    today aged 64 at Royal Preston Hospital in Lancashire

He was still the richest British person in the ST rich list in 2015, net worth £8.6 billion, his family still owns vast swathes of London. RIP
    http://www.chesterstandard.co.uk/news/147210/duke-of-westminster-richest-brit-in-the-country-.aspx
    It will be interesting to see what arrangements have been made to avoid IHT.
    Mind you if you were his son and heir even with IHT you would still be a multi billionaire so it is not going to affect your finances too much. His son Hugh, 25, will inherit the whole estate.

The Mail says he had a heart attack at his estate in Lancashire, he was a chain smoker apparently which makes it a little less surprising
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3732222/Billionaire-landowner-Duke-Westminster-dies-aged-64.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
    He may have set some aside for his daughters, perhaps?
    diminish the estate, c'mon. You've obviously not got any aristocratic blood. No more have I , I'm just guessing.
    Yeah, so is the Mail! I would be royally miffed if I was one of his daughters and received not a single penny as the Mail suggests.
    it's your expectation. My cousin leaves next door to an ex Duke of Westminster estate in Norfolk bequeathed to a sister to see her through so they say. Can only be worth a million or two so not of any consequence.
    That's more than a single penny :D I'm just disputing the word "entire".
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

@ChrisMasonBBC: Billionaire landowner the Duke of Westminster, Gerald Cavendish Grosvenor, died

He was still the richest British person in the ST rich list in 2015, net worth £8.6 billion, his family still owns vast swathes of London. RIP
    http://www.chesterstandard.co.uk/news/147210/duke-of-westminster-richest-brit-in-the-country-.aspx
    Mind you if you were his son and heir even with IHT you would still be a multi billionaire so it is not going to affect your finances too much. His son Hugh, 25, will inherit the whole estate.

The Mail says he had a heart attack at his estate in Lancashire, he was a chain smoker apparently which makes it a little less surprising
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3732222/Billionaire-landowner-Duke-Westminster-dies-aged-64.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
    The Mail says the whole estate goes to his son, though presumably his sisters will be amply provided for
    They got their hands on the will fast....

Never knew he was a general in the TA.
    I thought bought commissions were a thing of the past.
    Apparently he started as a trooper in the 70s.
    Do you think he was a fully paid up, muck in with the lads, bitters all round kinda trooper?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

The Mail says the whole estate goes to his son, though presumably his sisters will be amply provided for
    They got their hands on the will fast....

Never knew he was a general in the TA.
    I thought bought commissions were a thing of the past.
    Apparently he started as a trooper in the 70s.
    Do you think he was a fully paid up, muck in with the lads, bitters all round kinda trooper?
    No, but he didn't join straight away as an officer (although can you even do that in the TA?)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited August 2016

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

I doubt he owned anything.

Probably a combination of perpetual trusts for the core estates and an Irish Rolling Settlement Trust for odds and sods

(Edit: for clarity I don't know how Grosvenor is structured although sure i could dig aroubd and figure it from public records)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

The Mail says he had a heart attack at his estate in Lancashire
    You still like to win at Monopoly though, don't you?
    If you are the Duke of Westminster you own half the board!
    which leaves half to play for
    Though you can probably leave Old Kent Road...
    unless you can get Whitechapel Road too. Then you can probably leverage up the Ripper tales
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,189

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    Wonder how much it changes after the fact. The FTSE has totally rebounded since then.
    I am not sure he was so broke he was having to resort to shopping in Aldi....
    Maybe the odd excursion to M and S rather than Harrods and Fortnum and Mason
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited August 2016
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    How awful, with the plebs in the food hall....thats what always crosses my mind if I have to shop in there ;-)
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    FTSE100 up 10% since the peak right before the referendum, GBP down 13% since the peak before the referendum. If he was lucky he might have just broke even!
    If he was lucky
  • Options

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    I thought all the Remainderers were now doing their best to support EU enterprises so it may just be solidarity
  • Options

It's funny that NPXMP expects us to know what's going on in the minds of PLP *now*, given he didn't have any idea what was going on in it when he was actually *in it*.

I think the other half of the conversation Nick has entirely missed out on is the entirely reasonable belief that punishment deselections are incoming.

Why sit and wait for disaster to happen?

I mean, I guess sitting and waiting for disaster to happen was the tagline for NPXMP's time as an MP but that doesn't mean all MPs are necessarily quite as pathetic and craven.

Nick wants a safe seat nomination in the Great Purge. He's not going to say anything controversial.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    If he was lucky
    Can't have been that lucky....
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,018

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Hmm. I wonder if this might be a very dismaying Olympics for Team GB, not just a tad disappointing (which it was bound to be after London 2012).

Hubris, etc.

We have won our first swimming gold since 1988, whatever happens now this will not be a disappointing games
    Depends if you care about swimming or not. There's so many swimming medals up for grabs, it's odd we haven't had one til now!
    Well I do as a swimmer (even a fairly casual one). Our swimming record at the Olympics has been poor for decades so Peaty is a real boost
    I was only teasing. And since I cannot swim, my interest levels are low.
    Understood, though I believe it is Britain's biggest participation sport
    I'd have thought more people run than swim.
    swimmers are easier to count and their motivation is clearer
    80,000 parkrunners every Saturday morning, for a start
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited August 2016
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Charles said:

It's funny that NPXMP expects us to know what's going on in the minds of PLP *now*, given he didn't have any idea what was going on in it when he was actually *in it*.

I think the other half of the conversation Nick has entirely missed out on is the entirely reasonable belief that punishment deselections are incoming.

I mean, I guess sitting and waiting for disaster to happen was the tagline for NPXMP's time as an MP but that doesn't mean all MPs are necessarily quite as pathetic and craven.

Nick wants a safe seat nomination in the Great Purge. He's not going to say anything controversial.
    No, Nick is just a Party Loyalist, meaning Loyalty to the Leader. He may be a leftie, but he is not a rebel.

I think that he has decided not to re-enter the fray.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

diminish the estate, c'mon. You've obviously not got any aristocratic blood. No more have I , I'm just guessing.
    Yeah, so is the Mail! I would be royally miffed if I was one of his daughters and received not a single penny as the Mail suggests.
    Going rate is £25m in cash plus a life interest in a house in London.

Mail's use of "estate" will refer to Eaton Hall & lands plus the cabbage field.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Hmm. I wonder if this might be a very dismaying Olympics for Team GB, not just a tad disappointing (which it was bound to be after London 2012).

Hubris, etc.

We have won our first swimming gold since 1988, whatever happens now this will not be a disappointing games
    Depends if you care about swimming or not. There's so many swimming medals up for grabs, it's odd we haven't had one til now!
    Well I do as a swimmer (even a fairly casual one). Our swimming record at the Olympics has been poor for decades so Peaty is a real boost
    Probably 200,000 swimmers that same weekend
  • Options
    edited August 2016

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    How awful, with the plebs in the food hall....thats what always crosses my mind if I have to shop in there ;-)
    I expect he had buyers do most of it for him
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Charles said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Any chance you could fix me up with one of those deals? :p
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    Perhaps like many posho's he was a cheapskate who likes a bargain.

You get richer by not spending money rather than spending it!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

unless you can get Whitechapel Road too. Then you can probably leverage up the Ripper tales
    If you had to, though you wouldn't bother going there yourself
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    Perhaps like many posho's he was a cheapskate who likes a bargain.

You get richer by not spending money rather than spending it!
    I reckon that is what the Queen says when Charles asks why she isn't eating his Duchy Originals...
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

it's your expectation. My cousin leaves next door to an ex Duke of Westminster estate in Norfolk bequeathed to a sister to see her through so they say. Can only be worth a million or two so not of any consequence.
    That's more than a single penny :D I'm just disputing the word "entire".
    I think a single p (not d) to you and me might equate to substantially more to the Grosvenors than a mere million or two.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    RobD said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Marrying for money's not worth the price.

I went for a normal Californian lass rather than a strategic marriage.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    It's too far for me to go otherwise I would join you in complaining
  • Options
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Maybe she's the one with the strategic marriage? ;)

and on that bombshell.... :D
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    On topic this sounds generally convincing. 28% in a general election sounds over-optimistic, though. How many extra seats do they lose if it's 24%?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Hubris, etc.

Lots more people will run over the course of a weekend as well. But I didn't realise getting into nasty chlorine-smelling water is so popular.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Hubris, etc.

are parkrunners a better class of roadrunners?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Hubris, etc.

Lots more people will run over the course of a weekend as well. But I didn't realise getting into nasty chlorine-smelling water is so popular.
    Isn't swimming supposed to be easier on the joints?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Hubris, etc.

Was it wet then?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Maybe she's the one with the strategic marriage? ;)

and on that bombshell.... :D
    :lol:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    I expect he had buyers do most of it for him
    like Charlie with his urine tests?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

I haven't been there for 20+ years and have no yearnings either
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Hubris, etc.

"Beep beep!"
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Islam, as presently understood, is incompatible with Western civilisation.

I'd be inclined to leave out "Western"
    Me too.
    The world would be an infinitely happier place if we could remove all of Islam, and all Muslims, from the West. It has proved to be an epochal mistake to try and incorporate them: the collision of liberal tolerance with illiberal intolerance means the latter always wins.

For sheer heaven, remove all religions
    Like the Khymer Rouge or Cultural Revolution?

Religion brings out both the worst and the best in people. It is like alcohol in that it makes people more like themselves. Genial people become more genial and aggressive people become more aggressive.
    Religion and nationalism are different aspects of the the same innate desire of people to identify with a group - to be part of an us that is different to them. They have served us well in the past and have allowed us to create large, prosperous and mutually beneficial societies. But, like any powerful tool, both have the capacity to cause immense harm when they run out of control. I suspect that, like our predilections for sugary and salty foods, they have now outlasted their usefulness. The sooner we can rid ourselves of the necessity of either, the better.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Islam, as presently understood, is incompatible with Western civilisation.

I'd be inclined to leave out "Western"
    Me too.
    The world would be an infinitely happier place if we could remove all of Islam, and all Muslims, from the West. It has proved to be an epochal mistake to try and incorporate them: the collision of liberal tolerance with illiberal intolerance means the latter always wins.

For sheer heaven, remove all religions
    Like the Khymer Rouge or Cultural Revolution?

Religion brings out both the worst and the best in people. It is like alcohol in that it makes people more like themselves. Genial people become more genial and aggressive people become more aggressive.
    Religion and nationalism are different aspects of the the same innate desire of people to identify with a group - to be part of an us that is different to them. They have served us well in the past and have allowed us to create large, prosperous and mutually beneficial societies. But, like any powerful tool, both have the capacity to cause immense harm when they run out of control. I suspect that, like our predilections for sugary and salty foods, they have now outlasted their usefulness. The sooner we can rid ourselves of the necessity of either, the better.
    Amen!
  • Options
    edited August 2016

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Hubris, etc.

If you consider every town and city has a swimming pool and how many swim there at any one time it is probably more than are running in that same town or city's average park. Apparently 2.89 million swim every week 1.96 million do some sort of athletics (running, swimming or aerobics)
    http://www.totalsportek.com/list/popular-sports-united-kingdom/
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Will Smith beat none of the above ?

Will Smith?

"Now that's what I call a Close Encounter!" :)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

I haven't been there for 20+ years and have no yearnings either
    Most of us only end up going there at Christmas after lunch
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Hubris, etc.

If you consider every town and city has a swimming pool and how many swim there at any one time it is probably more than are running in that same town or city's average park. Apparently 2.89 million swim every week 1.96 million do some sort of athletics (running, swimming or aerobics)
    Here are some actual numbers on it:

https://www.sportengland.org/media/10746/1x30_sport_16plus-factsheet_aps10q2.pdf

Ah, you edited your post to add some too. Surprised that there were that many swimmers!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930

Speedy said:

Will Smith?

Will Who?
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Hubris, etc.

Here are some actual numbers on it:

https://www.sportengland.org/media/10746/1x30_sport_16plus-factsheet_aps10q2.pdf

Ah, you edited your post to add some too. Surprised that there were that many swimmers!
    Swimming is something done by young and old, which is probably why it is the most common sport. Goodnight
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Hubris, etc.

A lot of research purports to show that running isn't a problem for the joints. Apparently one issue is that people take up running after being invalided out of other sports, like football, which is bad for the joints. Impact-bearing exercise is supposed to have a lot of benefits eg on bone density.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Hubris, etc.

No parkrun is a thing http://www.parkrun.org.uk/
  • Options
    In Nova Scotia on the Atlantic Shore, near Halifax. It's absolutely stunning: 80 degrees, crystal clear water. And no-one is here. Just wonderful.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,061

Speedy said:

Will Smith?

GODDAMN IT YOU BEAT ME TO IT!

(grumble grumble groan... :) )
  • Options

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Hubris, etc.

A lot of research purports to show that running isn't a problem for the joints. Apparently one issue is that people take up running after being invalided out of other sports, like football, which is bad for the joints. Impact-bearing exercise is supposed to have a lot of benefits eg on bone density.
    Ah, thanks!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,176
    "Russia-UK relations: May and Putin pledge to improve ties"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37029507

Do we have a Putinversteher in Downing Street?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Charles said:

It's so transperent.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Speedy said:

Will Smith?

GODDAMN IT YOU BEAT ME TO IT!

(grumble grumble groan... :) )
    "Ooops!"
This discussion has been closed.