Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ex-LAB MP and PB regular, Nick Palmer, on why a party split

Comments

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,443
    On topic, Nick may well be right that MPs will think *extremely* carefully before jumping ship. It's not just a matter of their own career; they know that dividing the Labour movement will see it out of office for at least ten years, possibly a good deal longer - maybe for ever if it goes hideously wrong and UKIP and the Lib Dems do somehow carve up the populist and liberal lefts, respectively. They also know that there might just be a possibility that if Corbyn can be eased out, even after an election defeat, the mainstream might win back control and start rebuilding sense into the party.

But I'm not convinced. It's easy to try to act unified straight after the vote; that was tried last year too. A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then and there's a lot more still to come. Corbyn remains inept and self-indulgent but he also remains the left's only chance because no-one else can get onto the ballot as things stand. There's no reason to assume that serial crises of 2015-6 won't be repeated in 2016-7.

Indeed, we start the year with a very much more divided party to begin with. Is it really sustainable that Labour can go through the whole year with a PLP that openly has not only no confidence in but open contempt for their nominal leader? The media narrative will be rift followed by division followed by row followed by split, with only the odd reshuffle to break the flow.

The tension is just too great, too many activists are too fired up (and egged on from the leadership), and Momentum are happy to see the internal results continue to roll in.

But maybe Nick's right. Perhaps the MPs won't run. Perhaps they won't fight. Perhaps they'll just stand there, disbelieving.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    A little like the 1870s, when the Carlist pretender (grandson of Charles X) and the Orleanist pretender (grandson of Louis-Philippe) rowed over who should be restored to the throne vacated by Napoleon III. In the end, the Orleanists made way as Henri (the Carlist pretender) had no children and therefore they would inherit anyway when he died, but he then refused to accept the throne because they wouldn't let him have the fleur de lis as his flag. And by the time he finally snuffed it, the Republicans had consolidated their hold and the monarchy was never restored.

French monarchical politics. Don't you just love the displacement activity?

The French Third Republic was no better, that said. It spent all its time chasing Jesuits and Jews while its educational system imploded, the economy stagnated and the army disintegrated.
    I think it was even dafter than that. The parliamentarians were happy for Henri to have the fleur de lis as his personal flag but refused to adopt it as the flag of France. Henri took umbrage at that, refused to recognise the tricolor and the rest is history, as were the Bourbons.
    Yes, by 'his' I meant 'the flag of France'. In fact, both the Assembly and the Pretender at one point thought the other had agreed to their demands because the negotiations were so opaque. Thiers suggested the compromise and was damaged by the debacle.
    Even by Bourbon standards, Henri was an idiot.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@TelePolitics: Jeremy Corbyn allies plan to approve mandatory reselection by end of year in move that could ‘purge’ dozens of… https://t.co/81yl5OUpYD

We'll see:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/21/chief-whip-calms-reselection-fears-of-labour-mps-who-oppose-jeremy-corbyn
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,197

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Hmm. I wonder if this might be a very dismaying Olympics for Team GB, not just a tad disappointing (which it was bound to be after London 2012).

Hubris, etc.

We have won our first swimming gold since 1988, whatever happens now this will not be a disappointing games
    There's still the track & field yet to come!
    Yes and Mo Farrah, Jessica Ennis etc
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,638
    Scott_P said:

@TelePolitics: Jeremy Corbyn allies plan to approve mandatory reselection by end of year in move that could ‘purge’ dozens of… https://t.co/81yl5OUpYD

Just in case the anti-Corbyn MPs don't have the bottle to jump ship, the far left are trying to provide them with the backbone in the form of a not so gentle push. Purged of rebellious MPs, the new breed of Corbynite candidates will then be free carry all before them at the general election etc. etc.

Labour politics is a bit surreal at the moment. Both sides deny that they want a split, and I believe neither of them.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079

On topic, Nick may well be right that MPs will think *extremely* carefully before jumping ship. It's not just a matter of their own career; they know that dividing the Labour movement will see it out of office for at least ten years, possibly a good deal longer - maybe for ever if it goes hideously wrong and UKIP and the Lib Dems do somehow carve up the populist and liberal lefts, respectively. They also know that there might just be a possibility that if Corbyn can be eased out, even after an election defeat, the mainstream might win back control and start rebuilding sense into the party.

But I'm not convinced. It's easy to try to act unified straight after the vote; that was tried last year too. A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then and there's a lot more still to come. Corbyn remains inept and self-indulgent but he also remains the left's only chance because no-one else can get onto the ballot as things stand. There's no reason to assume that serial crises of 2015-6 won't be repeated in 2016-7.

Indeed, we start the year with a very much more divided party to begin with. Is it really sustainable that Labour can go through the whole year with a PLP that openly has not only no confidence in but open contempt for their nominal leader? The media narrative will be rift followed by division followed by row followed by split, with only the odd reshuffle to break the flow.

The tension is just too great, too many activists are too fired up (and egged on from the leadership), and Momentum are happy to see the internal results continue to roll in.

But maybe Nick's right. Perhaps the MPs won't run. Perhaps they won't fight. Perhaps they'll just stand there, disbelieving.

I think it's a question of if Corbyn wins big, how many will be up for another fight, as one will surely be needed if the Corbynites are wrong about 2020. How many will be stunned into inaction, and then compliance? How many would even accept eventual deselection rather than split the movement, when that is no more likely to help their or their party's chances than waiting it out for the Corbynites to destroy themselves in a GE?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Well obviously he has to retain the Romney states and probably win the debates. The last WMUR NH poll had Clinton ahead by just 2%

Actually it was 15%.

http://www.wbur.org/politicker/2016/08/04/clinton-over-trump-new-hampshire-poll

That was WBUR not WMUR, but you get the drift.

The list of states so far that Trump has recorded drops of 10 points or more:

N.H.
    Virginia
    Georgia
    Pennsylvania
    Missouri

The states where Trump has recorded drops of 5 points or less:

Iowa
    Ohio
    N.Carolina
    Arizona
    Nevada
    Florida
    ARG had it Clinton +5%, PPP +4% in their latest NH polls. You are looking at 1 poll. The overall direction suggests if Trump wins the debates and makes it neck and neck again he will win all the latter states but Hillary the former, so she should win but it will be the closest election since 2000
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited August 2016
    Daily trump outrage deployed....

US election: Anger over Donald Trump gun rights remarks
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37029170
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Who will volunteer to play in the band on the decks of the Labour Party whilst it slips gently beneath the waves, with the unmusical members desperately seeking a lifeboat? A noble or ignoble death
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Hmm. I wonder if this might be a very dismaying Olympics for Team GB, not just a tad disappointing (which it was bound to be after London 2012).

Hubris, etc.

We have won our first swimming gold since 1988, whatever happens now this will not be a disappointing games
    Depends if you care about swimming or not. There's so many swimming medals up for grabs, it's odd we haven't had one til now!
    Well I do as a swimmer (even a fairly casual one). Our swimming record at the Olympics has been poor for decades so Peaty is a real boost
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

Howe did it, not Heseltine.

Howe encouraged Heseltine but it was Heseltine who wielded the knife
    Camilla's aunt Elspeth Howe told her husband Geoffrey to do it, though.

• Options

Who will volunteer to play in the band on the decks of the Labour Party whilst it slips gently beneath the waves, with the unmusical members desperately seeking a lifeboat? A noble or ignoble death

Mrs bucket....
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Hubris, etc.

Erm, Rebecca Adlington might be pissed at this comment. I think you mean first male swimming gold.
    Sorry, male gold, we have not had a male swimming champion since Adrian Moorhouse
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

We'll see:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/21/chief-whip-calms-reselection-fears-of-labour-mps-who-oppose-jeremy-corbyn
    You are being stupidly and uncharacteristically supine. On every occasion, Corbyn and Momentum have behaved in the most malign, entryist way possible. They clearly want to take over the party, and change it (in ways you will hate) forever. And they are winning.

They are, but they haven't yet won and I am not giving up until they do. The Telegraph is plain wrong to say they have an 18-15 majority on the NEC.

• Options

Mrs bucket....
    I didn't know she was on board
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@ChrisMasonBBC: Billionaire landowner the Duke of Westminster, Gerald Cavendish Grosvenor, died
    today aged 64 at Royal Preston Hospital in Lancashire

He was still the richest British person in the ST rich list in 2015, net worth £8.6 billion, his family still owns vast swathes of London. RIP
    http://www.chesterstandard.co.uk/news/147210/duke-of-westminster-richest-brit-in-the-country-.aspx
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

Monty said:

Well, the MPs may or may not have the courage to split, and I suspect not considering the current voting system and how it penalises small parties, but I've been a loyal member and activist for over 20 years and I believe Corbyn is unfit to be Prime Minister.

t.

I doubt they will and the UK will suffer over the next 10-30 years because there is now no opposition.

Yes! Completely and utterly. Particularly this:

"Corbyn represents a very narrow urban middle-class lefty world view that does well in London, Manchester, Brighton and Twitter. Nowhere else."

Unfortunately, too many are lost in the echo chamber of social media where they are just talking to one another, rather than swing voters. Should they encounter a swing voter, who expresses any doubts about Corbyn's suitability as a potential PM, they seem to be telling them to 'vote Tory' as a tactic.

NPXMP would do well to look far more closely at what has happened to Labour here in Scotland. They have no divine right to exist as one of the two main parties, and if voters decide they're out of touch, extinction or irrelevance is a real possibility.
    I've been suggesting to Labour activists that boasting of knowing zero Tories is not a cause for celebration, but shame. It's going down as well as you might expect.
    A very good friend of mine is a massive Corbynite (she's also quite a well known novelist)

The other day we had a drink (and I paid for her drink, as I normally do) and she got quite emotional and said "Tories are awful, just awful people, you're the only Tory voter I know" and to be honest i found it very hard not to punch her in her stupid face, as she drank the drink I'd paid for, and simultaneously told me how awful I was, and, by extension, how virtuous she was. I cut her some slack because I genuinely like her and hope this is a passing phase but.....

UGH

The ENTITLEMENT and the NARCISSISM

That is Labour now.
    JK Rowling?
    Apparently not.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jk-rowling-calls-jeremy-corbyn-8308100
  • Options
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

On that polling and Quinnipiac Trump could get to 269 with Florida, Ohio, Iowa, Nevada and NH even without Pennsylvania

Er .... you mean apart from the fact Trump is losing in all those states.
    Trump could pull out within days. Not everyone with a big mouth habitually keeps thinking they're going to win when their chances have gone out of the window. Today's statement about "second amendment people" adds weight to the case for #DiagnoseTrump.
  • Options

Mrs bucket....
    Perhaps Ed Balls can play piano if he has passed grade 8 by then!
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,483
    Scott_P said:

@ChrisMasonBBC: Billionaire landowner the Duke of Westminster, Gerald Cavendish Grosvenor, died

Wow quite young all things considered. His daughter is married to Dan Snow. The new Duke is just 25.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

Howe did it, not Heseltine.

Howe encouraged Heseltine but it was Heseltine who wielded the knife
    Camilla's aunt Elspeth Howe told her husband Geoffrey to do it, though.

So it was Elspeth that did for Maggie then!
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

We'll see:

You are being stupidly and uncharacteristically supine. On every occasion, Corbyn and Momentum have behaved in the most malign, entryist way possible. They clearly want to take over the party, and change it (in ways you will hate) forever. And they are winning.
    Making a party of the ages into a short term personality cult.
    Corbyn is already getting on so he will have to pick a successor soon, I think it will be Burgon in the long term (the man who makes Boris look unflappable) and McDonnell in the medium.
    Each new leader will be hand picked by the old one to keep the Corbyn spirit alive....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mrs bucket....
    He could do a dance as well...
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Labour politics is a bit surreal at the moment. Both sides deny that they want a split, and I believe neither of them.
    I believe it of the non-Corbynites more than Corbynites. Corbynites are inspired by Corbyn, and he managed to exist within Labour all this time despite having profound disagreements about its direction (one would assume, given his many rebellions), so they have that example of MPs staying put no matter what, and retaining others is still useful so long as policy is Corbynite, so although some clearly would not mind forcing out Blairites, I get the impression most genuinely don't believe they will set up shop elsewhere if they are forced out, so a split is not coming. As for the non-Corbynites, the desperation to find a way, any way, to beat Corbyn and retain the Labour brand, shows I think they really really do not want to split, and it will take help from the other side to see it happen.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

He was still the richest British person in the ST rich list in 2015, net worth £8.6 billion, his family still owns vast swathes of London. RIP
    http://www.chesterstandard.co.uk/news/147210/duke-of-westminster-richest-brit-in-the-country-.aspx
    That's young for someone so rich. Do we know what got him?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,443
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Wow that's young. Just goes to show. Death scoffs at Money.

RIP.
    The new duke is 25. Good luck to him.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Hubris, etc.

Depends if you care about swimming or not. There's so many swimming medals up for grabs, it's odd we haven't had one til now!
    Well I do as a swimmer (even a fairly casual one). Our swimming record at the Olympics has been poor for decades so Peaty is a real boost
    I was only teasing. And since I cannot swim, my interest levels are low.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

On that polling and Quinnipiac Trump could get to 269 with Florida, Ohio, Iowa, Nevada and NH even without Pennsylvania

Trump could pull out within days. Not everyone with a big mouth habitually keeps thinking they're going to win when their chances have gone out of the window. Today's statement about "second amendment people" adds weight to the case for #DiagnoseTrump.
    Certainly not on the clips I have just seen, he was brimming with confidence at rallies today and he thrives on the establishment loathing him
  • Options
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

Leave were losing by 15% a few months before polling too but that now looks his best path to victory
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mrs bucket....
    I'm sure if someone hums it he can play it, er .....
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited August 2016
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Well obviously he has to retain the Romney states and probably win the debates. The last WMUR NH poll had Clinton ahead by just 2%

Actually it was 15%.

N.H.
    Virginia
    Georgia
    Pennsylvania
    Missouri

Iowa
    Ohio
    N.Carolina
    Arizona
    Nevada
    Florida
    ARG had it Clinton +5%, PPP +4% in their latest NH polls. You are looking at 1 poll. The overall direction suggests if Trump wins the debates and makes it neck and neck again he will win all the latter states but Hillary the former, so she should win but it will be the closest election since 2000
    Lets say that you are right.

And Trump wins Iowa, Ohio, Nevada, Arizona, N.Carolina and Florida.
    But loses N.H., Virginia, Georgia, Pennsylvania and Missouri.

It will be Hillary 299-Trump 239 in the E.V.

Georgia and Pennsylvania are killing him at the moment.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Hubris, etc.

Understood, though I believe it is Britain's biggest participation sport
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    If a party split will not work as NP2xexMP suggests and staying stet wont work either, then what future is there for the Labour party>?. I suggest none, well not for at least a decade until the hard left are ousted.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Just says 'he suddenly became ill' on his estate unfortunately
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37029915?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central
  • Options
    On topic:
    "The default will be to soldier on quietly....."

Not in the case of this chap, who happens to be my local MP, in a circular to local party members.

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/politics/2016/08/09/labour-leadership-contest-mp-rob-marris-launches-scathing-attack-on-party-leader-jeremy-corbyn/

• Options

HYUFD said:

Mrs bucket....
    Indeed, the Labour Party dies on Strictly, could be good ratings for Len's final show!
  • Options

If a party split will not work as NP2xexMP suggests and staying stet wont work either, then what future is there for the Labour party>?. I suggest none, well not for at least a decade until the hard left are ousted.

Labour is a dead parrot
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,018
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Hubris, etc.

I'd have thought more people run than swim.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37029915?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central
    That covers a multitude of sins(?)
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Time for a Sherlock Holmes episode.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @bpolitics: Clinton Widens Lead Over Trump in Pa., Ohio, Iowa: NBC/WSJ Polls https://t.co/1fwBhQr3fP
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mrs bucket....
    Indeed, the Labour Party dies on Strictly, could be good ratings for Len's final show!
    I'd watch it!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

He was, for what it is worth, a bit of a lad. Liked the ladies - and was sometimes happy to pay. He enjoyed his wealth.
    Many such have died of it
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Hubris, etc.

I thought it was angling.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Hubris, etc.

swimmers are easier to count and their motivation is clearer
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Hubris, etc.

I nearly posted "that's fishing"
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Hubris, etc.

That is probably second
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Hubris, etc.

If you include the gym maybe (though most gyms also include access to a pool)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Islam, as presently understood, is incompatible with Western civilisation.

I'd be inclined to leave out "Western"
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

SeanT said:

Me too.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Mrs bucket....
    As long as it is chopsticks
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Actually it was 15%.

N.H.
    Virginia
    Georgia
    Pennsylvania
    Missouri

Iowa
    Ohio
    N.Carolina
    Arizona
    Nevada
    Florida
    Lets say that you are right.

And Trump wins Iowa, Ohio, Nevada, Arizona, N.Carolina and Florida.
    But loses N.H., Virginia, Georgia, Pennsylvania and Missouri.

It will be Hillary 299-Trump 239 in the E.V.

Georgia and Pennsylvania are killing him at the moment.
    If he wins Iowa, Ohio and Florida he will certainly win Georgia and Missouri
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

He was, for what it is worth, a bit of a lad. Liked the ladies - and was sometimes happy to pay. He enjoyed his wealth.
    Indeed, even if he died a little young it was not a bad life all in all compared to most
  • Options
    @MediocreDave: Funding application for a 2017 Fringe theatre project retelling the story of this leadership contest using only the tweets of Labour MPs.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mrs bucket....
    If he's playing in the band rather than looking for a lifeboat then he's gone up in my opinion, not that that's saying much
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

No doubt we will find out in due course
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    A bit more competence and bit less on legal fees required from Labour NEC.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Islam is in conflict with several "Eastern" civilisations too.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Time for a Sherlock Holmes episode.
    No suggestion of foul play so far, as SeanT suggests he probably put enjoying life above obsessing about his health
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mrs bucket....
    I'd watch it!
    We could have an ex Labour leader dance off, Blair v Brown all over again
  • Options

SeanT said:

Islam is in conflict with several "Eastern" civilisations too.
    quite
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

It will be interesting to see what arrangements have been made to avoid IHT.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mrs bucket....
    If he's playing in the band rather than looking for a lifeboat then he's gone up in my opinion, not that that's saying much
    I expect he would manage to finish just in time to get on the last lifeboat off
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mrs bucket....
    I'd watch it!
    We could have an ex Labour leader dance off, Blair v Brown all over again
    That's a bit one sided for my taste
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

You'll have a long wait
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Especially if it was unexpected.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mrs bucket....
    would they let him in though
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Me too.
    The world would be an infinitely happier place if we could remove all of Islam, and all Muslims, from the West. It has proved to be an epochal mistake to try and incorporate them: the collision of liberal tolerance with illiberal intolerance means the latter always wins.

For sheer heaven, remove all religions
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mrs bucket....
    Certainly not if Mandelson was around
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Nick is right. What cannot be cured (ie defenestrating Corbyn) must be endured.

Eventually the entryists will get bored with Labour and either split off again, or become hungry for real power via electiability. When there are enough have-nots ready to outvote the have-yachts, they will gain some power, a Mayor here, a Council there and gradually become more pragmatic.

I reckon that Labour will have regenerated like the Doctor or be extinct in a dozen years.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

His father didn't make 70 either
  • Options
    edited August 2016

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Mind you if you were his son and heir even with IHT you would still be a multi billionaire so it is not going to affect your finances too much. His son Hugh, 25, will inherit the whole estate.

The Mail says he had a heart attack at his estate in Lancashire, he was a chain smoker apparently which makes it a little less surprising
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3732222/Billionaire-landowner-Duke-Westminster-dies-aged-64.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mrs bucket....
    He would have killed to get in the first lifeboat so not of concern to Balls trying to get in the last
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    edited August 2016
    It's funny that NPXMP expects us to know what's going on in the minds of PLP *now*, given he didn't have any idea what was going on in it when he was actually *in it*.

I think the other half of the conversation Nick has entirely missed out on is the entirely reasonable belief that punishment deselections are incoming.

Why sit and wait for disaster to happen?

I mean, I guess sitting and waiting for disaster to happen was the tagline for NPXMP's time as an MP but that doesn't mean all MPs are necessarily quite as pathetic and craven.
  • Options
    Kasich has come in to 300-580 at Betfair, and Ryan to 85-100.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited August 2016

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Me too.
    The world would be an infinitely happier place if we could remove all of Islam, and all Muslims, from the West. It has proved to be an epochal mistake to try and incorporate them: the collision of liberal tolerance with illiberal intolerance means the latter always wins.

Like the Khymer Rouge or Cultural Revolution?

Religion brings out both the worst and the best in people. It is like alcohol in that it makes people more like themselves. Genial people become more genial and aggressive people become more aggressive.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Mind you if you were his son and heir even with IHT you would still be a multi billionaire so it is not going to affect your finances too much. His son Hugh, 25, will inherit the whole estate.

The Mail says he had a heart attack at his estate in Lancashire
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3732222/Billionaire-landowner-Duke-Westminster-dies-aged-64.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
    You still like to win at Monopoly though, don't you?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

The Mail says he had a heart attack at his estate in Lancashire, he was a chain smoker apparently which makes it a little less surprising
    He may have set some aside for his daughters, perhaps?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Devastating report on Newsnight now. Islam in the UK is utterly diseased.

What was the report about?
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

The Mail says the whole estate goes to his son, though presumably his sisters will be amply provided for
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Me too.

Like the Khymer Rouge or Cultural Revolution?

Religion brings out both the worst and the best in people. It is like alcohol in that it makes people more like themselves. Genial people become more genial and aggressive people become more aggressive.
    It's narrowed the field a bit though - these are yesterday's problems
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

The Mail says the whole estate goes to his son, though presumably his sisters will be amply provided for
    They got their hands on the will fast....

Never knew he was a general in the TA.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

If you are the Duke of Westminster you own half the board!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Wonder how much it changes after the fact. The FTSE has totally rebounded since then.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

diminish the estate, c'mon. You've obviously not got any aristocratic blood. No more have I , I'm just guessing.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

His father didn't make 70 either
    Clearly they enjoyed the high life
  • Options

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

diminish the estate, c'mon. You've obviously not got any aristocratic blood. No more have I , I'm just guessing.
    Yeah, so is the Mail! I would be royally miffed if I was one of his daughters and received not a single penny as the Mail suggests.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

I thought bought commissions were a thing of the past.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mrs bucket....
    He would have killed to get in the first lifeboat so not of concern to Balls trying to get in the last
    He would have just cut the rope instead
  • Options

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

I thought bought commissions were a thing of the past.
    Apparently he started as a trooper in the 70s.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

which leaves half to play for
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

The Mail has sources everywhere
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    Wonder how much it changes after the fact. The FTSE has totally rebounded since then.
    It may have rebounded a bit but probably not a full $1 billion worth
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

which leaves half to play for
    Though you can probably leave Old Kent Road...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    It may have rebounded a bit but probably not a full $1 billion worth
    I am not sure he was so broke he was having to resort to shopping in Aldi....
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Yeah, so is the Mail! I would be royally miffed if I was one of his daughters and received not a single penny as the Mail suggests.
    it's your expectation. My cousin leaves next door to an ex Duke of Westminster estate in Norfolk bequeathed to a sister to see her through so they say. Can only be worth a million or two so not of any consequence.
  • Options
    @SamCoatesTimes: Major Guardian editorial tonight on Labour's predicament-and it sits on the fence. On the one hand/on the other etc https://t.co/vGfhafaXEK
This discussion has been closed.