Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Smith vs Corbyn debate showed a Labour Party talking to

SystemSystem Posts: 11,702
edited August 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Smith vs Corbyn debate showed a Labour Party talking to itself and a long way from power

Assuming that you think Jeremy Corbyn’s reelection as Labour leader is not already a foregone conclusion, tonight’s leadership debate was a good opportunity to see the candidates in action. Owen Smith, perhaps unsurprisingly, was the more polished performer but Jeremy Corbyn had the room.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Glorious First!
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    Inteested to hear anyone believing they can use old canards to predict the future after the last few years. More power to you if you believe that ;)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,015
    edited August 2016
    mith claimed he could win a General Election and said he was just as radical as Corbyn (‘I fundamentally agree with Jeremy’ being a common refrain). Corbyn claimed that Labour was winning under him and said that the party could not afford to go back to the ‘austerity-lite’ policies of the past.

Corbyn certainly has the easier pitch, compared to Owen.

Corbyn: Look at my rallies, we are winning by being true to our left wing roots!
    Owen: I like Jeremy and his policies, but Jeremy himself is shit.

It's obvious which sounds more like what the base wants to hear.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    The trouble with this result

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/761327761235378177

Is that I keep thinking of this clip

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zhyCL-ELRxg
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

Inteested to hear anyone believing they can use old canards to predict the future after the last few years. More power to you if you believe that ;)

What's the alternative? Not obsess over political minutiae in an attempt to predict the future, and future betting opportunities?

*shudder*
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    kle4 said:

mith claimed he could win a General Election and said he was just as radical as Corbyn (‘I fundamentally agree with Jeremy’ being a common refrain). Corbyn claimed that Labour was winning under him and said that the party could not afford to go back to the ‘austerity-lite’ policies of the past.

Corbyn: Look at my rallies, we are winning by being true to our left wing roots!
    Owen: I like Jeremy and his policies, but Jeremy is shit.

The idea that Owen Smith is the miracle ingredient that just needs to be added to Corbyn's policies to effect electoral success...it doesn't really work does it.
  • Options
    Wait, a UKIP Gain? Can't be right, I read they only lose by -elections.
  • Options
    John_M said:

kle4 said:

The idea that Owen Smith is the miracle ingredient that just needs to be added to Corbyn's policies to effect electoral success...it doesn't really work does it.
    The little I've seen of Smith he seems...fine. Servicable. Hey, it works on me in many instances, I have a deep rooted suspicions of people who stir too much antipathy or fervour in me. But yes, his general positioning as being able to be just like Corbyn only less crap is not an inspiring one.
  • Options
    Labour are in the shit.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:

The little I've seen of Smith he seems...fine. Servicable. Hey, it works on me in many instances, I have a deep rooted suspicions of people who stir too much antipathy or fervour in me. But yes, his general positioning as being able to be just like Corbyn only less crap is not an inspiring one.
    I believe he would make an excellent manager of a medium sized building society branch.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    John_M said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:

I believe he would make an excellent manager of a medium sized building society branch.
    Assistant manager, maybe. The creepy one who makes inappropriate comments and keeps getting away with it.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The exciting thing for a rightwinger, like me, is what exactly the Tories might do, with 15 years in untroubled power. We realy COULD become a kind of western Hong Kong meets Switzerland, with lashings of Singapore. Dump the homeless into lakes, reduce taxes to maybe 2%, force the unemployed to sell their hair.

Superb.

Obligatory Mitchell and Webb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owI7DOeO_yg
  • Options
    The answers to Labour’s problems from the candidates were too easy and when the answers are too easy they are probably wrong.

I'm not sure that's quite right. Sometimes the answers to a problem are very easy to identify and potentially resolve, but there is no will to take the action would be unpalatable. Whether the current answer to Labour's problems are as easy as those advanced, however, I'd suggest their problem is not that they are coming up with easy answers, but the answers they most want to hear. They're not alone in that regard of course, it's amazing how often the policies we want turn out to be the answer to any problem, but if indeed their current path is opposite to that of the public, they are in a particularly dramatic case of it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

and the LDs literally no where! ;)
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

The trouble with this result

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/761327761235378177

Is that I keep thinking of this clip

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zhyCL-ELRxg

LOL. That clip never gets old.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,132
    SeanT said:

The exciting thing for a rightwinger, like me, is what exactly the Tories might do, with 15 years in untroubled power. We really COULD become a kind of western Hong Kong meets Switzerland, with lashings of Singapore. Dump the homeless into lakes, reduce taxes to maybe 2%, force the unemployed to sell their hair.

Superb.

How would our literary stars of the future buy their drugs?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    kle4 said:

Don't tell Mark Senior. they are meant to be in inexorable decline apperently tho a pig's head on a stick could probably gain from Labour at the moment.
  • Options
    Give Keiran thinks Smith would lose to May anyway, would it not be better to hope Corbyn wins and the membership and MPs wake up and change course after that? Ok, maybe A Corbynite picks up the pieces, but if Smith leads them even on a even more left wing basis, the defeat will be blamed on the disunity of the right (ok, that will happen even under Corbyn leading them, but not as much) and also on the basis the right just proved it was wrong by losing, so now it's really time for mark 2 Corbynism.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Give Keiran thinks Smith would lose to May anyway, would it not be better to hope Corbyn wins and the membership and MPs wake up and change course after that? Ok, maybe A Corbynite picks up the pieces, but if Smith leads them even on a even more left wing basis, the defeat will be blamed on the disunity of the right (ok, that will happen even under Corbyn leading them, but not as much) and also on the basis the right just proved it was wrong by losing, so now it's really time for mark 2 Corbynism.

Cat Smith for next Labour Leader then....
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    nunu said:

kle4 said:

Don't tell Mark Senior. they are meant to be in inexorable decline apperently tho a pig's head on a stick could probably gain from Labour at the moment.
    Gained 1 from Labour Lost 1 to Labour
  • Options
    John_M said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:

Or possibly a used car salesman.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,906
    Smith has one task right now,, beat Corbyn. The rest of it can wait.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The exciting thing for a rightwinger, like me, is what exactly the Tories might do, with 15 years in untroubled power. We really COULD become a kind of western Hong Kong meets Switzerland, with lashings of Singapore. Dump the homeless into lakes, reduce taxes to maybe 2%, force the unemployed to sell their hair.

Superb.

As a public sector employee, I know you want me to felch goats, but you're one of the reasons I log on here. If your books were cheaper on kindle I'd read 'em.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Re Chakrabati: I have always thought of her as a ninny. She did no thinking at all when at Liberty on how to maintain human rights during a time of terrorism threats and her support for such liberties as freedom of speech was always very qualified. So I was not surprised to find her taking Corbyn's shilling nor at her producing an execrable report on anti-Semitism in the Labour Party. A hugely overrated individual lacking good judgment.

This article skewers her very effectively. It's not the first to have done so. Sadly, the talentless and unscrupulous rise to the top like scum on water.

http://www.thetower.org/article/britains-labour-party-tries-to-whitewash-its-anti-semitism/

While not disagreeing with your general point, politics nevertheless remains one of the more egalitarian vocations.

You (one) wants to be a politician? Go for it. All you need is people to vote for you.

I don't think (m)any politicians are talentless.
    Except that she will have got precisely no-one to vote for her and yet has power over the laws which govern us. It is as offensive to democracy as having an unelected EU bureaucrat bossing us about. And it is something we can do something about.

Baubles should not give one a role in the legislature.
    She got to where she is because she really really wanted to. Nothing undemocratic about her. Or Mark Zuckerberg.

She then gets rewarded with a gong. And becomes part of the legislature. OK but then between her and Dickie Attenbrough there's not much to choose. Blame the system.
    Attenborough has immense knowledge and has contributed to society. Chakrabati is an idiot who has not.
    He's been dead two years, no?
    A dead person might make a better Lord than some of the current members, an uncharitable person might suggest.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    MP_SE said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:

I liked @John_M's world's angriest double glazing salesman
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Smith has one task right now,, beat Corbyn. The rest of it can wait.

The rest will be waiting for a long time.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,158
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

Superb.

May will not do anything like that, she is paternalist and the daughter of a vicar and ideologically is not much different from Angela Merkel apart from being a little bit tougher on immigrants
  • Options
    How can a Corbyn supporter lead Labour back to electability?
  • Options
    WSJ
    Breaking: At least five alleged plotters in Brussels and Paris attacks received welfare payments from Belgium https://t.co/kPWGMsg1Fn
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,906
    Are the Tories right wing these days?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:

Mind you Michael Howard won the Tory leadership by being ideologically just like IDS only less crap
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Superb.

May will not do anything like that, she is paternalist and the daughter of a vicar and ideologically is not much different from Angela Merkel apart from being a little bit tougher on immigrants
    I don't think Sean was actually writing a manifesto :). I may be a bad person but that post made me LOL for reals.
  • Options
    Notts Bingham Con hold - just

Con 1270 Ind 1232 Lab 382
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Very close for second. I wonder if any enterprising local journo will go with "Mainstream parties split Beaver opposition to UKIP"?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:

Mind you Michael Howard won the Tory leadership by being ideologically just like IDS only less crap
    So there's precedent then? Go Smith I guess.
  • Options

Very close for second. I wonder if any enterprising local journo will go with "Mainstream parties split Beaver opposition to UKIP"?
    "Beaver breaks with conformity and goes purple"
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:

I'm not convinced that Smith is less crap. He's about as authentic as Angel Delight.
  • Options
    Props to Keiran for getting this out there so quickly and being so blunt about the state of his party. In another universe, there'd be a parallel piece on the Leadsom/May debate...
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

WSJ
    Breaking: At least five alleged plotters in Brussels and Paris attacks received welfare payments from Belgium https://t.co/kPWGMsg1Fn

How is one supposed to afford toothpaste if not....
  • Options
    WSJ/NBC: Clinton now leads among women AND men
    Women Men All
    Clinton 51 43 47
    Trump 35 42 38
    https://t.co/P7lKrz7e0g
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:

Well, on a good day he could be a poor man's Michael Howard I suppose and they are both Welsh
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    John_M said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Superb.

I don't think Sean was actually writing a manifesto :). I may be a bad person but that post made me LOL for reals.
    It is the typical SeanT nirvana after one too many glasses of Merlot
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    Smith is in a tricky position. I didn't think he was that much more polished overall than Corbyn, actually. He is pitching himself as a unity candidate and the person who is fighting to stop a split. Yet it is "his side" (whether he would or not) who are the ones who are threatening to break away.

He's got similar problems pitching his policies (the header nails this). He seems forced to fight on Corbyn's turf, but would struggle to outflank him and doesn't look authentic in the role.

To win from such a tricky position he would need to be very lucky or very good and I can't see much sign of either.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

MP_SE said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:

I liked @John_M's world's angriest double glazing salesman
    Lol.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    I feel quite sorry for Owen Smith - after weeks of dithering from the MPs, he's the only one (A Eagle aside) to have shown the slightest bit of spine when bigger beasts should have stepped up. He's doing his best with what's become a tribal mob, and given that he's supposed to have 170 MPs behind him, most seem to have gone AWOL. Seems like a decent bloke and as bemused as everyone outside Labour at the cult of Corbyn.

Either way, the road seems long and painful for Labour from here.
  • Options

Props to Keiran for getting this out there so quickly and being so blunt about the state of his party. In another universe, there'd be a parallel piece on the Leadsom/May debate...

But for the grace of God go we club.

Am about to watch Suicide Squad, not sure if this is a DC Comics film or a film on the Labour Party
  • Options
    This is quite WTF. "U.K. Jets Hit ISIS Base in Saddam's Former Palace"

http://www.wsj.com/video/uk-jets-hit-isis-base-in-saddam-former-palace/B4D4C4B6-4AAD-429E-8DFB-0528E6E4FD79.html

ISIS was actually using Saddam Hussein's former palace as a training ground for foreign fighters...
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Am I the first, but Owen Smith has risen from obscurity to take on the stupidity of Corbyn and his acolytes. Surely even pbCOM Tories must respect him for that?
  • Options

Am about to watch Suicide Squad, not sure if this is a DC Comics film or a film on the Labour Party
    At 2am, or are you this side of the pond? :D
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

I feel quite sorry for Owen Smith - after weeks of dithering from the MPs, he's the only one (A Eagle aside) to have shown the slightest bit of spine when bigger beasts should have stepped up. He's doing his best with what's become a tribal mob, and given that he's supposed to have 170 MPs behind him, most seem to have gone AWOL. Seems like a decent bloke and as bemused as everyone outside Labour at the cult of Corbyn.

Does he really have the wholehearted support of 170 Labour MPs? He looks pretty isolated as the not-Jezza candidate. No enthusiasm for him - just resignation that they are in this mess and have to go through this pain (for very little gain)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Midnight showing in Sheffield, God's own county.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    tpfkar said:

The bit about the other MPs is a good point, and part of the reason I'm sure there will be no split. If they are speaking up for smith en masse I'm not noticing it in general political reporting, when id expect they woukd get a good hearing. So I suspect they're either giving up, bunkering down, or leaving it to the few outspoken mavericks.

Night all.
  • Options

RobD said:

Midnight showing in Sheffield, God's own county.
    Right you are, I'm only eight hours behind!
  • Options
    Con hold Rushcliffe Cranmer

Con 318
    Ind 138
    Lab 130
  • Options
    tyson said:

Am I the first, but Owen Smith has risen from obscurity to take on the stupidity of Corbyn and his acolytes. Surely even pbCOM Tories must respect him for that?

So far the only things I remember him saying are that he wanted to smash Theresa May and that he would back 1 hour contracts over zero hours contracts. He'll end up consolidating Corbyn's position.
  • Options
    tyson said:

It is hard to respect a man who does not understand his own limitations.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Sure, but he's going to lose, and in so doing further cement Corbyn in position. The "coup" was [somehow!] simultaneously well overdue and very premature.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

tpfkar said:

Does he really have the wholehearted support of 170 Labour MPs? He looks pretty isolated as the not-Jezza candidate. No enthusiasm for him - just resignation that they are in this mess and have to go through this pain (for very little gain)
    Is there ANY gain? Surely after this vote, Corbyn is locked in place. And he will require Labour to wear concrete boots rather than life-vests for crossing the stormy waters ahead.
  • Options

tyson said:

Sure, but he's going to lose, and in so doing further cement Corbyn in position. The "coup" was [somehow!] simultaneously well overdue and very premature.
    Simultaneously overdue and very premature? Story of my life.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @kle4

'A dead person might make a better Lord than some of the current members, an uncharitable person might suggest.'

Like the one that dreamt he was making a speech in the HoL and woke up & found he was ?

• Options
    Liberal Democrat GAIN Alston Moor (Eden) from Conservative.
  • Options
    @tyson

'Am I the first, but Owen Smith has risen from obscurity to take on the stupidity of Corbyn and his acolytes. Surely even pbCOM Tories must respect him for that?'

But he hasn't,he mentioned on several occasions that he agrees with the stupid polices, just thinks he would be a better leader.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    tyson said:

No, because he actually comes across as worse than Corbyn.

His shouty, angry personality is very off-putting.

Given that he is up against Theresa, Leanne, Nicola and now probably Diane, his inability to debate with women without using violent and sexist language is likely to be a real problem for Labour.
  • Options
    The key is that this is a poll of Labour members. Smith is pitching to them, not the electorate. With him in charge Labour could hope to emulate EdM's score last year and perhaps do better in Wales. If the LDs progress slightly, that could mean a hung Parliament. It is the very best Labour could hope for. Under Corbyn, of course, that is impossible. More important, though, is that if Smith wins Labour becomes a party focused on winning elections once again. That is absolutely vital.

However, Smith is not going to win. Corbyn is. So it's all academic. Labour will lose the next GE massively. That's the way the hard left will be defeated.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Ha, ha - bless you Tyson. That's never going to happen :-)

• Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

"Beaver breaks with conformity and goes purple"
    Why not just "Beaver turns purple"?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

The key is that this is a poll of Labour members. Smith is pitching to them, not the electorate. With him in charge Labour could hope to emulate EdM's score last year and perhaps do better in Wales. If the LDs progress slightly, that could mean a hung Parliament. It is the very best Labour could hope for. Under Corbyn, of course, that is impossible. More important, though, is that if Smith wins Labour becomes a party focused on winning elections once again. That is absolutely vital.

However, Smith is not going to win. Corbyn is. So it's all academic. Labour will lose the next GE massively. That's the way the hard left will be defeated.

They are going to do worse in Wales because there will be 10 less Welsh seats. 30 seats, not 40.

Owen's predecessor in Pontypridd never failed to get less than 50 per cent of the vote, and sometimes over 60 per cent. Owen has got 40 per cent in his two elections. He is not that popular in Wales.

And there is also the matter that a Welsh leader will actually focus attention on the severe failings of the Welsh Government.

It would have been better for the rebels to wait, and coalesce behind a genuinely strong & intelligent candidate. But, maybe a strong & intelligent candidate knows that the cause is lost till after 2020.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Looks like Trump's vain Presidential ambitions will hurt him not just through national and international humiliation at a crushing defeat, but have hurt his brand:

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/trump-s-presidential-campaign-has-crushed-traffic-his-hotels-casinos-n623081
  • Options
    @SouthamObserver

'The key is that this is a poll of Labour members. Smith is pitching to them, not the electorate. With him in charge Labour could hope to emulate EdM's score last year and perhaps do better in Wales.'

How could he emulate EdM's score last year when his policies are far more extreme than Ed's ?

There seemed to be little if any disagreement this evening on the hard left policies,only leadership.

Or are you saying that Smith is pretending to be far left ?
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

Do better in Wales by telling the leave voters there that their choice was wrong in the referendum and let's have another one?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,314
    edited August 2016

They are going to do worse in Wales because there will be 10 less Welsh seats. 30 seats, not 40.
    There will only be 29 Welsh seats if the Boundary review goes through - down 11.

http://bcomm-wales.gov.uk/2018-review/?lang=en
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Watching that clip from the debate reminds me of the occasional phenomenon whereby people's heads sometimes wobble about because of the fervour and vigour of how frenziedly they are clapping. It's a bit like thinking the world is flat and expecting the magic money tree to reappear as if by magic on the Moon.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

And cheers Mr Pedley for that. – If the audience reaction to Smith and Corbyn is an indication of who will win the Labour leadership, then Owen Smith may as well stand aside now.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Here in the United States, the Republicans seem to have the same problem as the Socialists back home.

The very rigid, two-party system over here (far more rigid than ours) means that a formal split in the GOP is extremely unlikely. But that system has to serve a much more diverse country. It is mitigated to some extent by the considerable autonomy given state parties in Congressional, state and local elections, but for the Presidency, when a gigantic and diverse society is supposed to choose one man to lead them for four years, it shows its weaknesses I must say.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited August 2016
    Fishing said:

Here in the United States, the Republicans seem to have the same problem as the Socialists back home.

The very rigid, two-party system over here (far more rigid than ours) means that a formal split in the GOP is extremely unlikely. But that system has to serve a much more diverse country. It is mitigated to some extent by the considerable autonomy given state parties in Congressional, state and local elections, but for the Presidency, when a gigantic and diverse society is supposed to choose one man to lead them for four years, it shows its weaknesses I must say.

Hi Fishing, which state do u live in out of interest? And do u really think it is that bad for Trump or is it a liberal big city media that is out of touch with most of or a significant part of the population and he is still doing OK?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    SeanT said:

Superb.

I think that "lashings of Singapore " means something different in that part of the world
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    nunu said:

Hi Fishing, which state do u live in out of interest? And do u really think it is that bad for Trump or is it a liberal big city media that is out of touch with most of or a significant part of the population and he is still doing OK?

I'm actually just visiting - usually UK based. I have lots of business over here, in different states though. I'm in Santa Monica, CA, at the moment. But over the last month I have crossed this huge country and talked to dozens of acquaintances trying desperately to find one who will admit to voting for Trump. OK, mostly in big cities, and mostly college or higher education, but still I have failed, and even Republican-leaning friends of mine won't vote for him. Two in particular: one will hold his nose and vote for HRC and the other libertarian. The former, who listens to right-wing radio talk shows, really surprised me by reciting many of Trump's business methods (which sound oddly similar to those of somebody I'm suing out here, but that's another story) and then saying, "he has made a career out of f***ing people over, and would do exactly the same to the American people given the chance".

So, even if he cleans up the Redneck male vote, I can't see him winning the election - too many college educated Americans, women and minorities. But I've been wrong before.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

I watched a fair bit of the debate and thought the rowdy audience doesn't bode well for Labour. It's one thing to be disunited, it's another to show it so clearly on national telly. They don't care - it will be a public display of bad temper.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,454
    Charles said:

SeanT said:

Superb.

I think that "lashings of Singapore " means something different in that part of the world
    Indeed makes one wonder how Trump might handle a case like that of Michael Fay.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    The best thing about that video clip was the moderator. Corbyn and Smith are soooooo boring.. Perhaps the video could be sold as an aid for those with sleeping difficulties.
  • Options

Do better in Wales by telling the leave voters there that their choice was wrong in the referendum and let's have another one?
    Labour are heading for a major drop ln Wales.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    kle4 said:

The bit about the other MPs is a good point, and part of the reason I'm sure there will be no split. If they are speaking up for smith en masse I'm not noticing it in general political reporting, when id expect they woukd get a good hearing. So I suspect they're either giving up, bunkering down, or leaving it to the few outspoken mavericks.

All of the pro-Smith Tweets in my timeline were from Labour MPs but that's about it
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,715

Owen's predecessor in Pontypridd never failed to get less than 50 per cent of the vote, and sometimes over 60 per cent. Owen has got 40 per cent in his two elections. He is not that popular in Wales.
    I'm not sure how relevant trhat last comment is, as it seems to be a more common trend.

eg our next door MP Mr Skinner has had these shares of vote by election:

1997 75%
    2001 69%
    2005 65%
    2010 50%
    2015 51%

Obviously for Skinner it is significantly a demographic cause. Why is Smith different, and it is personal?

The party vote turnouts in Pontypridd look like Owen and the Three Dwarves, which is similar to Ashfield after the Lib Dem vote imploded.

Though I wonder what the Corbynista Cloud Cuckoo land effect will be there?

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,063
    SeanT said:

Superb.

Have you examined May's prospectus; she's more Heath than Lee Kuan Yew.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Looks like Trump's vain Presidential ambitions will hurt him not just through national and international humiliation at a crushing defeat, but have hurt his brand:

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/trump-s-presidential-campaign-has-crushed-traffic-his-hotels-casinos-n623081

I would not be surprised if The Donald were to run into financial issues soon after the Presidential run is over. His ventures have often been a very thin sliver of equity on a very large chunk of debt.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited August 2016

The best thing about that video clip was the moderator. Corbyn and Smith are soooooo boring.. Perhaps the video could be sold as an aid for those with sleeping difficulties.

The moderator (Cat Smith?) was good but no where near as good as the subtitles:

"Lets hear those closing bitches!"

On the basis of the people in that hall Labour is doomed.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Fishing said:

nunu: Donald Trump appeals very strongly to about a third of the electorate. But he repulses half, and doesn't do much for the remainder.

It's not just the big city folk who find his comments about (for example) Mexicans disturbing. And it's not just the liberal elite who believe in free trade.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422

Labour are heading for a major drop ln Wales.
    Labour's return in seats has masked a poor performance in Wales for some time. The unbalanced nature of the Assembly 'PR' system (40 FPTP, 20 list), exaggerates their return due to the high number of constituencies they win, often on historically low shares of the vote.

These are Labour's share of the list vote over the five elections:

1999: 35.4 (Michael/Blair)
    2003: 36.6 (Morgan/Blair)
    2007: 29.6 (Morgan/Blair)
    2011: 36.9 (Jones/Miliband)
    2016: 31.5 (Jones/Corbyn)

To score under a third of the vote while in opposition in London (though not in Wales, importantly), was a pretty rotten effort but it was still better than in 2007, never mind elections like the 2009 Euros, where they actually finished behind the Conservatives.

The difference now is that with Plaid challenging them in the Valleys and UKIP having made some inroads generally (though it remains to be seen if this will be maintained given both Brexit and UKIP's less-than-stellar AMs), Labour doesn't need to drop that much further before fall in vote share would translate to meaningful losses of seats at any level of election.
  • Options
    Excellent article from Kieran, by the way. All the more so for having been written so quickly after the event - though I wouldn't be surprised if he knew what he was likely to write beforehand and only set it down once the reality lived up to his expectations/fears.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Not Cat Smith, the moderater was Catrin Haf Jones of ITV Cymru Wales.
  • Options
    John_M said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:

Building Society managers have to implement affordability criteria when agreeing mortgages. I wouldn't trust him to do so.

(Although not if you believe the Halifax's 'Top Cat' advert).
  • Options
    David Herdson
    Yes Labour are on verge of tipping into becoming a minor party in Wales. Just like SLAB.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Not Cat Smith, the moderater was Catrin Haf Jones of ITV Cymru Wales.
    Thanks, I hadn't recalled Cat Smith being that personable.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

If you believe the Labour candidates and their supporters, it's the 'most right wing' Tory government ever. But then it always is.
  • Options

Excellent article from Kieran, by the way. All the more so for having been written so quickly after the event - though I wouldn't be surprised if he knew what he was likely to write beforehand and only set it down once the reality lived up to his expectations/fears.

The sensible person would have written it entirely beforehand and tweaked it in light of the reality. Well that's what I'd have done anyway ;)
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

I would not be surprised if The Donald were to run into financial issues soon after the Presidential run is over. His ventures have often been a very thin sliver of equity on a very large chunk of debt.
    "For critics of Trump, the fact that more people are staying away from Trump-branded properties may reflect people "voting with their feet." "
  • Options

Jonathan said:

If you believe the Labour candidates and their supporters, it's the 'most right wing' Tory government ever. But then it always is.
    I bet we are doing our semi annual privatisation of the NHS too ;)
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727

Liberal Democrat GAIN Alston Moor (Eden) from Conservative.

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 6h6 hours ago
    Alston Moor (Eden) result:
    LDEM: 54.6% (+54.6)
    CON: 45.4% (+15.7)
    Two Independents who stood before didn't do so this time round.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

This nails the essence of the problem (or half of it). Smith is not a potential PM; his appeal is not that he will lead Labour into government (yes, he's saying that but he has to given his position); it's that he'll arrest the decline. But is that really enough? Perhaps he would resign later if elected and allow himself to be a super-stalking-horse, so that a genuinely PM-able candidate could be chosen. Such self-sacrifice is not usually a characteristic of the kind of people who become party leaders though.

And the potential PMs within Labour ranks didn't stand because they knew they'd lose again. For as long as Labour won't choose someone that the country would choose, they are in a very deep hole.
This discussion has been closed.