Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Corbyn’s future was decided by those who voted for the p

Comments

• Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/36861737?client=ms-android-oneplus#

Why on earth are we going ahead with this when oil is at $50? Madness.

Why on Earth? You do know 2016 is the hottest year on record don't you?
    So that means which should be subsidising EDF to the tune of billions upon billions? Ifciurse EDF will build it now the fall in wholesale energy means the money they will be receiving from us will make them very rich indeed.

We should instead replace our coal imports with shale gas, and be building the Cardiff bay tidal lagoon. As well as other wind, wave and tidal projects. We are so rich in renewable energy in this country we just need to harness it. And create thousands of jobs here not France.
    We've already exhausted all the prime spots for onshore wind farms, for example:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/04/england-not-windy-enough-admits-wind-industry-chief/

While I conceded the price does seem on the high side, nuclear should play an important role in providing baseline output. I'm only disappointed we aren't building more so we have a much more nuclear-heavy mix like France.
    We can build more in Scotland though.
    I assume that it is being done, where economically viable. My point was that the low hanging fruit has already been picked.
    Yes they don't mind F****ing Scotland up and charging us a fortune for the grid. That scam will be gone soon when we give the two fingers to UK.
    Do you object to offshore wind farms? I thought those were sufficiently far away as not to be a bother to anyone.
    Offshore wind farms are quite beautiful in my humble opinion. I could spend hours watching the play of light on those off Skegness on a day of broken clouds. They turn a rather flat and boring seascape (on calm days at least) into something magical.
    And kill migratory birds. Not as bad as the faster running, smaller-tower wind farms they used to build, but unfortunately where there is sustainable winds, there are bird migration routes.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    BVA French Popularity Poll
    Juppe 42 (-2) Le Pen 27 (+3) Sarkozy 24 (+4) Valls 24 (-1) Hollande 19 (+1)
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    Jonathan said:

On holiday. Less than one day in. Cat sitter can't get in at home. Broke tooth. Rain. Arse.

Good grief, that is a quite exquisite quantity of pain per word. Best sympathies.
  • Options
    I see it is being reported that the Munich nutter had a picture of Brevik as his Whatsapp avatar.

Far right loon it is then.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

The Opinium poll does not show much sign of a honeymoon for Theresa May. On those figures, her majority would fall to just 6.

Even with Opinium the Tories are up 0.1% on the election, Labour up 0. 6% and the LDs down 2%, UKIP up 2%. Not forgetting the boundary changes in 2018
    No - the poll shows GB figures. The Tories are down 0.8% with Labour dropping 0.2%. Tory GB lead down from 6.6% to 6.0%
    Well Opinium do occasionally do poll UK wide, thus including Northern Ireland, and the Observer graphic does describe it as a UK wide poll
    OK -if I am wrong on this occasion I am happy to bow humbly to HYUFD!
    You might also admit that your assumption also might be wrong.

At GE 2015 there was a Con to Lab swing and yet the Tories lead in seats over Labour increased, which was truly awesome when you consider the brilliance of Labour's ground game at GE2015
    And Labour had oodles of better algorithms too. This is the 21st century, it's all about the algorithms now.

Wonder who wrote SCOTLAB.PY?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Jonathan said:

On holiday. Less than one day in. Cat sitter can't get in at home. Broke tooth. Rain. Arse.

Worse day than me then. Lost my ancient Westie in local woods. Walked so long, hurt my leg again. Ankle is approximately size of grapefruit. No sign of dog. Woe is me.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

The Opinium poll does not show much sign of a honeymoon for Theresa May. On those figures, her majority would fall to just 6.

Even with Opinium the Tories are up 0.1% on the election, Labour up 0. 6% and the LDs down 2%, UKIP up 2%. Not forgetting the boundary changes in 2018
    No - the poll shows GB figures. The Tories are down 0.8% with Labour dropping 0.2%. Tory GB lead down from 6.6% to 6.0%
    Well Opinium do occasionally do poll UK wide, thus including Northern Ireland, and the Observer graphic does describe it as a UK wide poll
    Humble bow accepted, though you can console yourself with the 3 seats Labour would win off the Tories on the Opinium UK swing. Corbyn would at least have gained a seat or two unlike Ed Miliband
    Corbyn better than Miliband. Who'd have thunk it? :D
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Humble bow accepted, though you can console yourself with the 3 seats Labour would win off the Tories on the Opinium UK swing. Corbyn would at least have gained a seat or two unlike Ed Miliband
    On July 22nd 2011, Labour under Miliband were polling 8% ahead of the Conservatives with YouGov.

Currently, at the same stage of the electoral cycle, Labour under Corbyn are polling 11% behind the Conservatives with YouGov.

And, in YouGov polling of Labour members, 54% of the Labour members who support Corbyn think he is likely to lead Labour to victory at the next general election.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

At GE 2015 there was a Con to Lab swing and yet the Tories lead in seats over Labour increased, which was truly awesome when you consider the brilliance of Labour's ground game at GE2015
    In England Labour did make a very small net gain from the Tories. The increase in the Tory lead in seats was due to Labour's collapse in Scotland to the SNP and the big Tory gains from the LibDems.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

@Richard_Tyndall Can you point me to the data showing June 'dropping off a cliff' ?

http://nsstc.uah.edu/climate/

That graph is based on an analysis by Roy Spencer of UAH of MSU satellite measurements of the radiance of the lower troposphere. These are not direct temperature measurements, and they are not surface temperature measurements. And I'm sure that Richard is aware that such analyses are fraught with difficulty and have been revised multiple times to correct for errors. Interestingly, Dr Spencer refuses to publish the algorithms that he uses to produce his temperature data, while NASA's methods and data are published openly on the internet.

It should also be noted that these satellite readings tend to amplify the effect of El Nino years, so it's not at all surprising that they should be indicating a rapid temperature fall as the current El Nino ends. The surface temperature is falling too, and the next few years are unlikely to set fresh records, but the underlying trend remains upwards.
    Sorry but this is just garbage. The exact same effect is seen by the RSS satellite data set run by a completely different organisation and in fact both systems do publish all of their data and have had their algorithms independently checked and verified - by NASA and the NOAA. Given that Spencer actually also works for NASA the comparison is rather... misleading?
    Nope, the garbage is yours, as usual.

The RSS data and the UAH data are simply different analyses of the exactly the same MSU measurements. It would therefore be rather surprising if their results weren't similar!

As for having their algorithms independently checked: bollocks. What evidence do you have for such a claim? The analysis that actually has been independently checked is the NASA GISS analysis. These data were completely re-analysed by the Berkeley Earth project, headed by former climate sceptic Richard Muller. His shock conclusion? The NASA GISS analysis is perfectly sound.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Mr. D, cold's much better than heat. Easier to warm up than cool down.

Probably why most human settlements are coastal or riverine.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2016
    MTimT said:

Drinking water (from rivers), fishing opportunities, good agricultural land and transport are also advantages. It's likely that the unusually stable (until now) climate, and hence sea level, over the last 8,000 years or so has been a major factor in the development of coastal communities and, ultimately, modern civilisation.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited July 2016
    justin124 said:

Wait until after the autumn statement. The polls are funny during the summer all the Tories are on holiday or stuck in traffic in Dover.
  • Options

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/36861737?client=ms-android-oneplus#

So that means which should be subsidising EDF to the tune of billions upon billions? Ifciurse EDF will build it now the fall in wholesale energy means the money they will be receiving from us will make them very rich indeed.

We should instead replace our coal imports with shale gas, and be building the Cardiff bay tidal lagoon. As well as other wind, wave and tidal projects. We are so rich in renewable energy in this country we just need to harness it. And create thousands of jobs here not France.
    We've already exhausted all the prime spots for onshore wind farms, for example:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/04/england-not-windy-enough-admits-wind-industry-chief/

While I conceded the price does seem on the high side, nuclear should play an important role in providing baseline output. I'm only disappointed we aren't building more so we have a much more nuclear-heavy mix like France.
    I assume that it is being done, where economically viable. My point was that the low hanging fruit has already been picked.
    Yes they don't mind F****ing Scotland up and charging us a fortune for the grid. That scam will be gone soon when we give the two fingers to UK.
    Do you object to offshore wind farms? I thought those were sufficiently far away as not to be a bother to anyone.
    Offshore wind farms are quite beautiful in my humble opinion. I could spend hours watching the play of light on those off Skegness on a day of broken clouds. They turn a rather flat and boring seascape (on calm days at least) into something magical.
    I can't say I feel the same way. I find wind farms impressive from an engineering point of view and pleasing from a utilitarian point of view. I also appreciate their necessary contribution towards maintaining our quality of life without destroying our environment. But visually appealing? Not really, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,008
    chestnut said:

Juppe is probably value as the Républicains foresee lots of left candidates eliminated in the first round. You want to give em something that's not just a crap used Le Pen.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945

Pulpstar said:

@Richard_Tyndall Can you point me to the data showing June 'dropping off a cliff' ?

That graph is based on an analysis by Roy Spencer of UAH of MSU satellite measurements of the radiance of the lower troposphere. These are not direct temperature measurements, and they are not surface temperature measurements. And I'm sure that Richard is aware that such analyses are fraught with difficulty and have been revised multiple times to correct for errors. Interestingly, Dr Spencer refuses to publish the algorithms that he uses to produce his temperature data, while NASA's methods and data are published openly on the internet.

It should also be noted that these satellite readings tend to amplify the effect of El Nino years, so it's not at all surprising that they should be indicating a rapid temperature fall as the current El Nino ends. The surface temperature is falling too, and the next few years are unlikely to set fresh records, but the underlying trend remains upwards.
    Sorry but this is just garbage. The exact same effect is seen by the RSS satellite data set run by a completely different organisation and in fact both systems do publish all of their data and have had their algorithms independently checked and verified - by NASA and the NOAA. Given that Spencer actually also works for NASA the comparison is rather... misleading?

The RSS data and the UAH data are simply different analyses of the exactly the same MSU measurements. It would therefore be rather surprising if their results weren't similar!

As for having their algorithms independently checked: bollocks. What evidence do you have for such a claim? The analysis that actually has been independently checked is the NASA GISS analysis. These data were completely re-analysed by the Berkeley Earth project, headed by former climate sceptic Richard Muller. His shock conclusion? The NASA GISS analysis is perfectly sound.
    Yet more ill informed rubbish. The algorithms used by both RSS and UAH are checked and verified by NASA, as are the corrections made to the satellite data over time.

• Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2016

Pulpstar said:

Yet more ill informed rubbish. The algorithms used by both RSS and UAH are checked and verified by NASA, as are the corrections made to the satellite data over time.

What is this? Proof by repeated assertion?

Edit: And what do you mean by verifying an algorithm?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

And kill migratory birds. Not as bad as the faster running, smaller-tower wind farms they used to build, but unfortunately where there is sustainable winds, there are bird migration routes.
    That is an argument to site them better, not to do away with them completely.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

REMAIN's ground game in Sheffield :lol:
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Ed Miliband was done for by Scotland, without it he would still have lost but gained a few more seats than Brown
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Excellent programme on Roald Dahl's extraordinary life.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    EPG said:

chestnut said:

Juppe is probably value as the Républicains foresee lots of left candidates eliminated in the first round. You want to give em something that's not just a crap used Le Pen.
    Juppe would be a better bet than Sarkozy in the general election but Sarkozy's tough law and order message may play better with the Republicains base in the primary
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    RobD said:

nunu said:

RobD said:
    Dies anyone want a bet with me that by midnight 1st Jan 2019 we will have left. I am sure of it, any takers? £50.
    It may still be ±1 or 2 years, but to think we will never leave is silly.
    Lol. Who changed my quote from remoaners to takers?
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Re todays's supporting noms

Leeds NW: Corbyn 54 Smith 34
    Milton Keynes North: Corbyn 58 Smith 22
    Milton Keynes South: Corbyn 57 Smith 24
    Folkestone and Hythe: Corbyn 39 Smith 11
  • Options
    nunu said:

justin124 said:

Wait until after the autumn statement. The polls are funny during the summer all the Tories are on holiday or stuck in traffic in Dover.
    If by that time there are clear signs of recession I think it unlikely that the Tories will benefit!
  • Options
    edited July 2016

MTimT said:

Drinking water (from rivers), fishing opportunities, good agricultural land and transport are also advantages. It's likely that the unusually stable (until now) climate, and hence sea level, over the last 8,000 years or so has been a major factor in the development of coastal communities and, ultimately, modern civilisation.
    Sea levels were 100 metres or so lower c. 20,000 years ago than they are today.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    nunu said:

RobD said:

nunu said:

RobD said:
    Dies anyone want a bet with me that by midnight 1st Jan 2019 we will have left. I am sure of it, any takers? £50.
    It may still be ±1 or 2 years, but to think we will never leave is silly.
    Lol. Who changed my quote from remoaners to takers?
    Oh, I was referring to the article, not you!
  • Options

MTimT said:

Indeed. But over the last 8,000 years or so they've changed by no more than a couple of meters.
  • Options
    To save us from an evening of talking about climate ;)

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/756440010971283456
  • Options
    The government is wasting taxpayers money subsiding useless renewables.

The government as should other governments should be spending money instead on research on methods of cheap mass storage of electricity. Once that is achieved the renewables will be of use.

Until then you need to duplicate renewables with fossil fuel power stations that fire up when the renewables are offline (eg no wind).

If you have to build the gas and coal stations anyway it is pointless to have the renewables.
  • Options

The government as should other governments should be spending money instead on research on methods of cheap mass storage of electricity. Once that is achieved the renewables will be of use.

Until then you need to duplicate renewables with fossil fuel power stations that fire up when the renewables are offline (eg no wind).

If you have to build the gas and coal stations anyway it is pointless to have the renewables.

I don't think the government needs to research anything. There are plenty of storage systems either on the market or in development. This is a global issue, world + wife would like to solve the problem.

When I finally do downsize, I'm going for a net zero house, just because :).
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,943
    justin124 said:

nunu said:

justin124 said:

If by that time there are clear signs of recession I think it unlikely that the Tories will benefit!
    Because parties considered weak on the economy and weak on leadership benefit from economic turbulence....

Oh, wait....
  • Options
    John_M said:

I don't think the government needs to research anything. There are plenty of storage systems either on the market or in development. This is a global issue, world + wife would like to solve the problem.

Name one available and commercially viable (other than Dinorwic).
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,069
    John_M said:

To save us from an evening of talking about climate ;)

And the other permutation:

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/756438541719244800
  • Options

John_M said:

Ah, we're slightly at cross purposes. I'm interested in domestic power storage.
  • Options

MTimT said:

Indeed. But over the last 8,000 years or so they've changed by no more than a couple of meters.
    8000 years is a blink.of an eye. Sea levels can and will change dramatically again in the future. Any policy based on trying to prevent sea level change as opposed to mitigating against it is doomed to failure. Although not directly related to global sea level change New Orleans is a good example of the futility of trying to prevent natural processes I order to protect poorly placed settlements.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    This the funniest Tweet of the day...

@DanielJHannan: I spent today reaching out to a pro-Remain audience, suggesting we work together on a new deal. Total waste of time. They want another vote.
  • Options

Although intermittent renewable energy sources need to be backed up by, primarily, gas-fired plants, you still save having to burn gas when the wind blows or the sun shines. Granted, you can't eliminate CO2 emissions in this way, but you can reduce them. As storage methods are developed and demand management is implemented, it will be possible to further reduced the amount of fossil fuel that needs to be burned.
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

Ah, we're slightly at cross purposes. I'm interested in domestic power storage.
    It is megawatt hours of storage I'm on about.

But as someone in the comms industry, if you want large power storage batteries in your house you are welcome to it. Expensive, Large, heavy, bulky, leach hydrogen and of dubious life duration, especially if they are not in temperature controlled conditions - basically a pain in the arse.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited July 2016

MTimT said:

8000 years is a blink.of an eye. Sea levels can and will change dramatically again in the future. Any policy based on trying to prevent sea level change as opposed to mitigating against it is doomed to failure. Although not directly related to global sea level change New Orleans is a good example of the futility of trying to prevent natural processes I order to protect poorly placed settlements.
    It is less than that - the land bridge to europe only went about 6,000 years ago.

Of course as well as sea level changes, various land masses are rising and sinking.

South east England for one is sinking as Scotland rises due to no longer being under a mile of ice
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    Scott_P said:

@DanielJHannan: I spent today reaching out to a pro-Remain audience, suggesting we work together on a new deal. Total waste of time. They want another vote.

Talking to the wrong remainers - plenty of them wanting to work on a deal. Theresa May for one.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Talking to the wrong remainers - plenty of them wanting to work on a deal. Theresa May for one.
    Theresa May was no more a remainer than Jeremy Corbyn was.

The independent seems to have descended into lala land on the issue though.

Wonder how long it will be before the residual online version bites the dust.
  • Options

South east England for one is sinking as Scotland rises due to no longer being under a mile of ice

Surely that's down to the government of Nicola Sturgeon.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,414
    So was just looking now we know the shape of the tickets for November. So Bill Clinton fought two elections with a running mate with a one syllable surname and both elections the other ticket was made up of two one syllable surnames Bush-Quayle in 92 and Dole-Kemp in 96. Hillary has also picked a one syllable running mate and the opposing ticket is two one syllable surnames in Trump-Pence. I doubt there is any predictive power but it is just intriguing.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Imagine wanting a referendum on EU membership. Soz Dan, maybe you'll get a job as a border guard from your pals.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

It's calming down as far as I can see. Brexit is off the front pages of all the International current affairs sites I visit, though I'm sure there will be domestic Brexit refuseniks for years to come.

It's now a question of waiting and hoping for more clarity around Mrs May's koan 'Brexit means Brexit'. While I understand her reasons, it's not terribly helpful.
  • Options

On the grounds her elfin form took over and sent fatty salmond south to weigh down London?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Knowing Hannan it's more likely he's talking to remainers in the wrong way, or even more probably he is just talking at them.
  • Options

On the grounds her elfin form took over and sent fatty salmond south to weigh down London?
    Quite likely. It's also a material change in circumstances, is it not?
  • Options
    Boris just tweeted another condemnation (Kabul this time). He's really getting the hang of this, sadly. Please stop giving him opportunities to practice, world. Thanks.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

nunu said:

justin124 said:

Because parties considered weak on the economy and weak on leadership benefit from economic turbulence....

Oh, wait....
    Yes but a Government that has been in office for over six and a half years will be at least partly blamed for that. The collapse of Osborne's 'Plan' and any Hammond U turn will not add to its credibility and will make it increasingly vulnerable to attack.
  • Options

MTimT said:

It is less than that - the land bridge to europe only went about 6,000 years ago.

Of course as well as sea level changes, various land masses are rising and sinking.

No Mr FeersumEnjineeya is absolutely right on this. The land bridge went sometime before 6000BC which is about 8000 years ago. Sea level change globally since then has been relatively slight - as it continues to be.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

The reason he's trying to recruit remainers is that he doesn't have many allies for his vision even on his own side of the Brexit debate.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Knowing Hannan it's more likely he's talking to remainers in the wrong way, or even more probably he is just talking at them.
    Clearly you don't know Hannan at all. He has a reputation amongst all parties including amongst those who disagree with him of being one of the politest and most approachable of politicians.
  • Options
    I suspect we have to be particularly cautious about interpreting polls at present in that a change of PM almost invariably does boost the incumbent Government for at least a few weeks. I will be more interested in what they are recording by the Party Conferences. There are precedents for Oppositions performing poorly circa 15 months into a Parliament and still going on to win the following General Election. The 1959 Parliament comes to mind in that at the end of 1960 a Labour victory in 1963 or 1964 seemed unlikely based on the Tory lead being recorded in the polls.
    At the same stage of the 2001 Parlianent – early Autumn 2002 – Labour was still enjoying leads in the range of 8 to 15%. Despite that , barely two and a half years later Labour only managed a 3% lead at the 2005 election.
    I am not wishing to imply that Labour is performing at well at present , but equally the failure to do so at this point does not mean that all is lost in respect of an election 3.75 years away.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

The reason he's trying to recruit remainers is that he doesn't have many allies for his vision even on his own side of the Brexit debate.
    He had lots - including I suspect the majority of MPs
  • Options

MTimT said:

8000 years may be the blink of an eye in geological terms, but it covers the entire development of human civilisation. Sea levels are a function of global temperature which, on a time scale of thousands of years, is in turn a function of greenhouse gas (especially CO2) levels. Over the past 8,000 years or so of the current interglacial, all have remained roughly constant. Were it not for the presence of human beings, we'd expect each of these variables to be gradually falling back towards ice age levels.

Instead, the rapid rise in atmospheric CO2 resulting from human activity is reducing the amount of energy radiated into space, warming the Earth and raising sea levels through thermal expansion and melting ice. A recent study of paleoclimate data indicated that the current 400ppm level of CO2 seems to correspond with a historic equilibrium sea level about 20m higher than today's level, probably due to melting of the Greenland and West Antarctic ice sheets. From 400pmm to 650ppm, there's not much change, but concentrations rising from 650ppm to about 1200pp cause complete melting of the Antarctic ice, giving a sea level rise of about 60m.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Clearly you don't know Hannan at all. He has a reputation amongst all parties including amongst those who disagree with him of being one of the politest and most approachable of politicians.
    I thought his speech (in French) in the Parliament was very classy. Really showed Farage up as a boor.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Politeness and approachability don't preclude ideological inflexibility and maddening certitude.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

ToryJim said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Politeness and approachability don't preclude ideological inflexibility and maddening certitude.
    If you don't like ideological inflexibility and maddening certitude, why on earth do you come to PB? Masochist ;) ?
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

ToryJim said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

He's basically a typical MEP.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I suspect we have to be particularly cautious about interpreting polls at present in that a change of PM almost invariably does boost the incumbent Government for at least a few weeks. I will be more interested in what they are recording by the Party Conferences. There are precedents for Oppositions performing poorly circa 15 months into a Parliament and still going on to win the following General Election. The 1959 Parliament comes to mind in that at the end of 1960 a Labour victory in 1963 or 1964 seemed unlikely based on the Tory lead being recorded in the polls.
    At the same stage of the 2001 Parlianent – early Autumn 2002 – Labour was still enjoying leads in the range of 8 to 15%. Despite that , barely two and a half years later Labour only managed a 3% lead at the 2005 election.
    I am not wishing to imply that Labour is performing at well at present , but equally the failure to do so at this point does not mean that all is lost in respect of an election 3.75 years away.

You also can't believe the polls during or just after the party conferences. Or during a referendum because everyone is distracted. Or in the middle of a government's term because there's always a swing back. Or, nowadays, during the election because polls don't know who will vote. Essentially, don't believe polls.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Oh he's polite and personally approachable but in terms of political ideas it's very much his way and no other. He isn't equipped as a persuader.
  • Options
    John_M said:

ToryJim said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

If you don't like ideological inflexibility and maddening certitude, why on earth do you come to PB? Masochist ;) ?
    You're getting close to the truth. ;)

By the way I agree on Hannan's speech to the European parliament. I can't stand his brand of Brexitism but he's a credit to the country as a parliamentarian.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

nunu said:

justin124 said:

Oh, wait....
    Yes but a Government that has been in office for over six and a half years will be at least partly blamed for that. The collapse of Osborne's 'Plan' and any Hammond U turn will not add to its credibility and will make it increasingly vulnerable to attack.
    But support will not be leant to Labour.

cf 1992. Largest ever vote for the Conservatives after beginning of economic turbulence.

Wasn't until Blair positioned Labour as party of economic competence that Labour won an election.

If you take away Blair from your history, as so many Labourites seem to desire, Labour have not won an election for 40 years...

Might be 50 at the rate the current opposition is going.
  • Options

MTimT said:

8000 years may be the blink of an eye in geological terms, but it covers the entire development of human civilisation. Sea levels are a function of global temperature which, on a time scale of thousands of years, is in turn a function of greenhouse gas (especially CO2) levels. Over the past 8,000 years or so of the current interglacial, all have remained roughly constant. Were it not for the presence of human beings, we'd expect each of these variables to be gradually falling back towards ice age levels.

Instead, the rapid rise in atmospheric CO2 resulting from human activity is reducing the amount of energy radiated into space, warming the Earth and raising sea levels through thermal expansion and melting ice. A recent study of paleoclimate data indicated that the current 400ppm level of CO2 seems to correspond with a historic equilibrium sea level about 20m higher than today's level, probably due to melting of the Greenland and West Antarctic ice sheets. From 400pmm to 650ppm, there's not much change, but concentrations rising from 650ppm to about 1200pp cause complete melting of the Antarctic ice, giving a sea level rise of about 60m.
    So basically you saying agw has prevented a return to ice age but the price is coastal inundation?

Of the two, Ice age is surely the worst by far?
  • Options
    DaveDaveDaveDave Posts: 76

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

I agree. Whenever I met her, she felt and sounded like a Brexiteer.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

nunu said:

justin124 said:

Oh, wait....

cf 1992. Largest ever vote for the Conservatives after beginning of economic turbulence.

Wasn't until Blair positioned Labour as party of economic competence that Labour won an election.

If you take away Blair from your history, as so many Labourites seem to desire, Labour have not won an election for 40 years...

I'd argue that Labour have already achieved most of their goals.

We're well into the area of diminishing returns. While there is always more to be done, much has been accomplished. Today's society is measurably better than it was in my youth in almost every single area.
  • Options

So basically you saying agw has prevented a return to ice age but the price is coastal inundation?

Of the two, Ice age is surely the worst by far?
    It's a case of using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. IIRC, James Hansen calculated that the CO2 emissions of one large coal-fired power station would have been sufficient to stave off the return to ice age conditions. The enormous CO2 output of our modern industrial civilisation takes us far into terra incognita in the other direction.
  • Options
    DaveDave said:

I think you've previously denied being David Davis. Are you in fact David Cameron?
  • Options

MTimT said:

So what caused the 100 metres of sea-level rise?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

nunu said:

justin124 said:

Oh, wait....

The Tories won 1 election in the last 20 years, then cheered when their winner had to quit. But things are different now since the other most recent victory, most generally trust in any Western government is an inch deep, and more specifically the government can be blamed for anything anyone doesn't like about Brexit, economically or EU-relationship wise or in the migration figures, and structurally there is another party competing with the Conservatives on the right nowadays. Would you bet on Theresa May winning the biggest ever vote for the Conservatives?
  • Options
    DaveDave said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

You've actually TOUCHED her? *Swoon*.
  • Options

DaveDave said:

I think you've previously denied being David Davis. Are you in fact David Cameron?
    Ha! Neither. Just by luck, Mrs May happened to turn up a bit where I was in politics. I will say no more, because it will sound as if I was important. I wasn't, but we met many times. I even was going to sit next to her for dinner 3 weeks ago but some evil witch had me ejected and she sat there instead. I don't care, but, Mrs May was having a bite to eat a metre or so away.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

MTimT said:

Perish the thought that other variables - some known but disputed, others as yet unknown - might be at work.

The idea that the -trace element levels- of carbon dioxide have an ohms law like relationship with global average temperature is to my mind Shoeburyness (ie far beyond Barking).

Not saying there will be no effect - bell jar experiments suggest there will be - but there are far to many unknowns and unknown unknowns to have any real idea if the effect is material.
  • Options

DaveDave said:

Maybe he is David Davies?
  • Options
    edited July 2016

MTimT said:

The ice melted because of the enormous amounts of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Mainly due to filthy Sumerian power plants. You're welcome.
  • Options
    DaveDave said:

DaveDave said:

Ha! Neither. Just by luck, Mrs May happened to turn up a bit where I was in politics. I will say no more, because it will sound as if I was important. I wasn't, but we met many times. I even was going to sit next to her for dinner 3 weeks ago but some evil witch had me ejected and she sat there instead. I don't care, but, Mrs May was having a bite to eat a metre or so away.
    The irony is, lots of politicians I know were saying to me..'ooh, please vote Remain along with me and Mrs May.' And I thought, Bollocks, she's a Leaver. As Boris was a remainer. As, DC was a Leaver! P Hammond adn Sajid, def Leavers.
  • Options

DaveDave said:

He lives just up the hill from me. Nice bloke.
  • Options

DaveDave said:

I'll say no more. I would start to sound like Andre Leadsom's CV!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

nunu said:

justin124 said:

Oh, wait....

1992 would have been a fair bit different had Thatcher not been toppled! As it was the Tories lost 40 seats, and had it it not been for Kinnock losing control of himself at Sheffield a few days before Polling Day the election would probably produced a Hung Parliament - with the Tories as the largest party.
    It really is nonsense to suggest that Tory Governments do not suffer electoral unpopularity at times of recession or economic slowdown. Just look at 1962 to1963 - 1971 to1973 - 1980 to 1982 and 1989 to 1992.
  • Options
    John_M said:

DaveDave said:

I'm told he likes pizza. Is there a successful Dominoes or Pizza hut near by?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

nunu said:

justin124 said:

Oh, wait....

1992 would have been a fair bit different had Thatcher not been toppled! As it was the Tories lost 40 seats, and had it it not been for Kinnock losing control of himself at Sheffield a few days before Polling Day the election would probably produced a Hung Parliament - with the Tories as the largest party.
    It really is nonsense to suggest that Tory Governments do not suffer electoral unpopularity at times of recession or economic slowdown. Just look at 1962 to1963 - 1971 to1973 - 1980 to 1982 and 1989 to 1992.
    Always a reason other than socialism is electorally unpopular, right?
  • Options

Although intermittent renewable energy sources need to be backed up by, primarily, gas-fired plants, you still save having to burn gas when the wind blows or the sun shines. Granted, you can't eliminate CO2 emissions in this way, but you can reduce them. As storage methods are developed and demand management is implemented, it will be possible to further reduced the amount of fossil fuel that needs to be burned.
    And what about all the CO2 emissions caused by manufacturing, building, maintaining and demolishing after decommissioning the renewables and their associated electricity transmission networks which you would not need if you just switch on the gas power stations you have to build as backup on all the time?
  • Options
    EPG said:

Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

nunu said:

justin124 said:

Oh, wait....

The Tories won 1 election in the last 20 years, then cheered when their winner had to quit. But things are different now since the other most recent victory, most generally trust in any Western government is an inch deep, and more specifically the government can be blamed for anything anyone doesn't like about Brexit, economically or EU-relationship wise or in the migration figures, and structurally there is another party competing with the Conservatives on the right nowadays. Would you bet on Theresa May winning the biggest ever vote for the Conservatives?
    If the opposition is Jezza, and given population increases, almost certainly.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

nunu said:

justin124 said:

Oh, wait....

Always a reason other than socialism is electorally unpopular, right?
    I am not sure that answers my point at all.
  • Options
    John_M said:

MTimT said:

The ice melted because of the enormous amounts of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Mainly due to filthy Sumerian power plants. You're welcome.
    I thought it was increased farting by an increasing human population :)
  • Options
    DaveDave said:

John_M said:

DaveDave said:

Sadly no. This is the boonies. The only link to civilisation is Waitrose and an M&S food shop. We do have Costa and Pizza Express. Everything else is non-chain.You can't get any takeaways delivered locally, you have to go and fetch it. It's like being in Hell.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    BBC still saying "David Sonboly"
  • Options

I am afraid such calculations really are pie in the sky. There is a (completely fallacious) argument made by opponents of climate change that CO2 cannot be connected with temperature because in the past we have had far higher CO2 levels without much higher temperatures. It is an argument that ignores the myriad other factors that impact on temperature both positive and negative. The same applies to trying to link previous sea level change to CO2 levels.

The last time we had 400ppm CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere was probably at least 5.2 million years ago. The last time we had CO2 concentrations of 650ppm (to pick out your number)was probably in the Palaeogene - something earlier than 25-30 million years ago. The idea that we can pick out the fingerprint of CO2 effects on sea level over that period of time is just ludicrous. There were wholesale changes in continental positions to start with as well as any number of other factors that would have effected sea level. Such calculations are a classic example of garbage in garbage out I am afraid.
  • Options
    John_M said:

DaveDave said:

John_M said:

DaveDave said:

Sadly no. This is the boonies. The only link to civilisation is Waitrose and an M&S food shop. We do have Costa and Pizza Express. Everything else is non-chain.You can't get any takeaways delivered locally, you have to go and fetch it. It's like being in Hell.
    Blimey. The 1960s! I like it.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

John_M said:

MTimT said:

That is the problem of being a vegetarian!
  • Options

John_M said:

MTimT said:

Don't you meat-eaters fart? :)
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

BBC still saying "David Sonboly"

Should Sunil Prasannan be called something else ? Is Theresa Mary May called Mary May ?
  • Options
    DaveDave said:

John_M said:

DaveDave said:

John_M said:

DaveDave said:

Blimey. The 1960s! I like it.
    Only 90,000 people in the entire county. We're sparsely populated even for Wales. I love it. Whenever I go up to London, it's like breathing soup. Always glad to get back to the valley.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

John_M said:

MTimT said:

Actually bovine farting is causing it .
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    edited July 2016

John_M said:

MTimT said:

Don't you meat-eaters fart? :)
    Here comes teh science bit:

Vegetarians fart more
    Omnivores' farts are smellier.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    John_M said:

DaveDave said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Did you come away cured of scrofula?

Or did you get the soul freeze of a dementor?
  • Options

John_M said:

DaveDave said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Did you come away cured of scrofula?

Or did you get the soul freeze of a dementor?
    Well, I haven't touched her. But I tell you, me and Mrs May, we got a thing going on.

PS My dog has been found. Huzzah! I can sleep tonight.
This discussion has been closed.