Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour, heading towards the cliff

Comments

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

AndyJS said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

Sounds like a panic stricken Cameron begged Merkel and other EU leaders to get him off the hook and they told him of foxtrot Oscar?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36865791

' One Downing Street source told Newsnight: "Fundamentally a question was put to the British public - would you be willing to be a little bit poorer to get control of immigration? We staked our chips on everyone going, 'Well, I don't want to be poorer.' They staked their chips on everyone going, 'I want to control immigration,' and they won." '

Immigration has been making the working class poorer during the last decade but the likes of Stuart Rose considered that to be a good thing.

' Lord Cooper also told Newsnight that the pro-EU side was forced into "humanely" phasing out a claim by George Osborne that a British exit from the EU would cost the average household £4,300 because voters did not believe it. '

What was it that May said of Osborne ? Over-promised and under-delivered ?

The official Cons Party Remain campaign knew some time out they were going to lose. On immigration.
    Really ? Or are they, like many others, being wise after the event ?

I've read that Cameron was expecting to win by 10% on the actual day.
    It was reported that Cameron's private pollster predicted 10% and also said it could be as high as 20%.
    https://twitter.com/AndrewCooper__/status/745714095953969152

It's seems amazing that it was just a month ago today, that the UK changed forever...

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

PlatoSaid said:

My bullshit meter just broke. The German authorities are saying Mr German-Iranian is clearly linked to Breivik.

What desperate tosh. A white supremacist with a lengthy manifesto who deliberately tried to wipe out the next generation of Lefties at a camp is the same as a first generation spree killer who shot people in McDonalds.

Seriously, if it hadn't happened on the same calendar day - this comparison wouldn't even get a mention.

Iranians are caucasian. I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss this
    Iranians are the original Aryans. Literally. Iran is the anglicised version of 'Land of the Aryans'.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Pulpstar said:

If Lab MPs were to resign the whip then by-elections would be interesting in their seats.

I'd expect Barrow to be a Con gain with Woodcock/Labour splitting the vote.
    Tristram Hunt would lose his seat to whoever is in a red rosette.
    Frank Field I'd have down to hold.

MPs who resign the party whip do not face a by-election.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464

ROoooooooooooooooooot.

Conversion rate of 50% for 100s into 150s, which is very good going.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    PlatoSaid said:

My bullshit meter just broke. The German authorities are saying Mr German-Iranian is clearly linked to Breivik.

What desperate tosh. A white supremacist with a lengthy manifesto who deliberately tried to wipe out the next generation of Lefties at a camp is the same as a first generation spree killer who shot people in McDonalds.

Seriously, if it hadn't happened on the same calendar day - this comparison wouldn't even get a mention.

Hey, people were trying to claim the same thing on here last night when I pointed out this made no sense as a Neo-Nazi thing.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228
    Pulpstar said:

If Lab MPs were to resign the whip then by-elections would be interesting in their seats.

I'd expect Barrow to be a Con gain with Woodcock/Labour splitting the vote.
    Tristram Hunt would lose his seat to whoever is in a red rosette.
    Frank Field I'd have down to hold.

Hunt may lose his seat to UKIP, otherwise I agree
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,620

PlatoSaid said:

Iranians are caucasian. I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss this
    German-Iranian = Aryan :)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,333

ROoooooooooooooooooot.

It feel that in general root's " conversion rate to 50 / 100s after getting past ~20 runs is very high. I haven't looked at the actual numbers so I might be wrong, but it definitely feels as like if you don't get root very early on he is going to rack up a lot of runs.
  • Options
    BigIanBigIan Posts: 198
    Pulpstar said:

justin124 said:

If Corbyn does win again the PLP might decide to elect its own leader who would then become Leader of the Opposition. In order to give themselve legitimacy such MPs could decide to resign their seats en masse and so force circa 150 by elections. I suspect that almost all would be re-elected , and,thereafter, would attract much Union support and funding.

They need to resign the Labour whip for Corbyn not to be LOTO. If they resign the whip then there will be a(nother) Labour candidate at the by-election. Bercow won't entertain their nonsense of what you propose I think.
    They can't hold the Labour whip and Bercow be the LOTO.

They could all resign the whip and form a new party, then Corbyn wouldn't be LOTO.
    Correct, except there's no need for by-elections.

If you believe in mass deselections, they won't be the Labour PPCs anyway. So they might as well form their own breakaway party now (or as soon as Corbyn wins the leadership election again).

So then, come the GE, as SDP2 PPCs, they'll already have had a spell in Opposition as SDP2, with their own chosen leader as LotO, to give them the chance to prove themselves competent and electable.

Which would mean they'd at least have a fighting chance of retaining their seats against the new Corbynite Labour PPCs.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

ROoooooooooooooooooot.

It feel that in general root's " conversion rate to 50 / 100s after getting past ~20 runs is very high. I haven't looked at the actual numbers so I might be wrong, but it definitely feels as like if you don't get root very early on he is going to rack up a lot of runs.
    In three and a half years of test cricket, already #35 all time in runs scored for England and,, #6 in batting average of those with over 50 innings, only after Sutcliffe, Barrington, Hammond, Hobbs and Hutton. What company to be in!!
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,080
    The Labour leadership, the unions, and the members are united on the same side. If reselections happen and lead to 100-150 Labour left MPs at the next election, that would comprise one of the greatest victories for an ideological tendency in postwar British politics because it's difficult to see how the situation could then be inverted in favour of the moderates with no real force other than the parliamentary party, a minority of CLPs and some donors.

Compare to the early stage of the leadership election when all thought the Labour left, but also social liberals and progressives, were about to be thrown under the bus in an attempt to win middle man in Nuneaton by whipping up fears about benefits and immigrants.
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    The shooter appears to have been obsessed with killing sprees so it would be surprising if Breivik wasn't one of those he had lots of material on. If the authorities gave found a particular obsession with him, and the date suggests he knew what he was doing, then it's a potentially fruitful line of enquiry. Whether the conection was as ideological as it was regards efficacy then that's what needs to be looked at. To me, however, it aopears all too similar to the inadequates who shoot up their schools, blaming their peers for their problems, the rest is just post hoc justification.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

ROoooooooooooooooooot.

Not really - his conversion rate from 50 to 100 is pretty poor. It's his only real weakness (but is a nice problem to have).
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    MTimT said:

ROoooooooooooooooooot.

In three and a half years of test cricket, already #35 all time in runs scored for England and,, #6 in batting average of those with over 50 innings, only after Sutcliffe, Barrington, Hammond, Hobbs and Hutton. What company to be in!!
    His conversion 50s > 100s is pretty poor. But still England's best middle order batsman by miles.
  • Options
    Thrak said:

The shooter appears to have been obsessed with killing sprees so it would be surprising if Breivik wasn't one of those he had lots of material on. If the authorities gave found a particular obsession with him, and the date suggests he knew what he was doing, then it's a potentially fruitful line of enquiry. Whether the conection was as ideological as it was regards efficacy then that's what needs to be looked at. To me, however, it aopears all too similar to the inadequates who shoot up their schools, blaming their peers for their problems, the rest is just post hoc justification.

All lone man shooting sprees have an element of suicide by cop to me. If it proves he had accomplices, this element is mostly off the table.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

MTimT said:

ROoooooooooooooooooot.

His conversion 50s > 100s is pretty poor. But still England's best middle order batsman by miles.
    Nice problem to have.

PS I haven't looked at the records, but from my recollection, he gets out in the 80s quite often. Again, not a bad problem to have.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,154
    AndyJS said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

Sounds like a panic stricken Cameron begged Merkel and other EU leaders to get him off the hook and they told him of foxtrot Oscar?

' One Downing Street source told Newsnight: "Fundamentally a question was put to the British public - would you be willing to be a little bit poorer to get control of immigration? We staked our chips on everyone going, 'Well, I don't want to be poorer.' They staked their chips on everyone going, 'I want to control immigration,' and they won." '

Immigration has been making the working class poorer during the last decade but the likes of Stuart Rose considered that to be a good thing.

' Lord Cooper also told Newsnight that the pro-EU side was forced into "humanely" phasing out a claim by George Osborne that a British exit from the EU would cost the average household £4,300 because voters did not believe it. '

The official Cons Party Remain campaign knew some time out they were going to lose. On immigration.

It was reported that Cameron's private pollster predicted 10% and also said it could be as high as 20%.
    We were repeatedly told here that Leave had to be 7% ahead in the polls for it to be even in the actual vote.

And that if Leave continued to focus on immigration and Turkey it meant they had conceded defeat and were trying to stop going below 40%.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

ROoooooooooooooooooot.

Nice problem to have.
    It's like a Melania Trump speech in here! ;)
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    MTimT said:

Thrak said:

All lone man shooting sprees have an element of suicide by cop to me. If it proves he had accomplices, this element is mostly off the table.
    Columbine wasn't a lone shooter for one, all it takes is for two or more like minded people to want to hit back against their supposed tormentors.
  • Options
    It would be great to see England uproot (geddit) the Test rulebook and push on at 8 an over...!
  • Options

ROoooooooooooooooooot.

It's actually surprisingly low: 10 hundreds now out of 30 fifties or better, so just 33.3%. Root seems to get out in the 70s or 80s quite a lot.

For comparison, the top five test run scorers' rates are:

Tendulkar: 51/119 = 42.9%
    Ponting: 41/103 = 39.8%
    Kallis: 45/103 = 43.7%
    Dravid: 36/99 = 36.4%
    Sangakkara: 38/90 = 42.2%

Obviously, none are remotely close to

Bradman: 29/42 = 69.0%
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Conversation just overheard on a station after woman asks a guy for help for finding platforms

Girl to Guy - which ones my train again ?
    Guy - it's the Cardiff one
    Girl- where's Cardiff?
    Guy - ummm .....it's in Wales
    Girl - oh? I thought it was up north somewhere?
    Guy - no it's in Wales
    Girl - is it a town or something?
    Guy - no, it's a capital city
    Girl - capital of where?

Momentary pause

Guy - I think that's my train over there....

:lol:
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    edited July 2016

ROoooooooooooooooooot.

0-19: 33
    20-49: 16
    50-99: 20
    100-149: 5
    150-199: 4*
    200+: 1

So 30 of 46 20+ scores have been 50+.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

ROoooooooooooooooooot.

Nice problem to have.

PS I haven't looked at the records, but from my recollection, he gets out in the 80s quite often. Again, not a bad problem to have.
    He's been out in the 80s six times out of 17.
  • Options
    And Woakes has his second Test fifty.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2016
    Woakes 50, England 400. No wickets so far today.
  • Options
    Where would Woakes have batted if he'd not been the night watchman?
  • Options

It would be great to see England uproot (geddit) the Test rulebook and push on at 8 an over...!

They're sure to attempt to accelerate after lunch. Declare or all out by tea...
  • Options
    Just put £20 on England getting 650 at odds of 7 with Betfair Exchange.
  • Options
    Once again, Statsguru is awesome. This is Root's Test inning list sorted by most runs scored.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    BudG said:

If (when?) Corbyn wins then the rebel Labour MPs should rally behind Corbyn and commit to his strategy.

Corbyn's style and policy approach is one which is one that can only work long term and may well not work even than. However, we will never know if the MPs continue to sabotage it in its first year.

Left wing Labour people did not openly sabotage Balir when he was in charge. Blairites should not try to sabotage Corbynistas now they are the majority.

The problem is that there are a significant number of Labour MP's who would prefer to lose with Owen smith or someone else in charge, than win with Corbyn in charge. A lot of these have political views that are closer to a Tory government than they would be to a Corbyn led government
    Totally agree.
    If Corbyn came anywhere near power , that is when parts of the establishment would step in with talk of a coup .
    As happened in the 70s .

They are happy with democratic change of party from Major to Blair, but even Wilson was a bit to much for some.
    They like the notion of democracy but only in certain parameters.
    A change of colour is enough blue to light blue .
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

If Corbyn does win again the PLP might decide to elect its own leader who would then become Leader of the Opposition. In order to give themselve legitimacy such MPs could decide to resign their seats en masse and so force circa 150 by elections. I suspect that almost all would be re-elected , and,thereafter, would attract much Union support and funding.

Not possible within Labour, which would almost certainly expel them if they tried that sort of trick anyway.

As long as they are *Labour* MPs, then the leader of the Labour party, if in the Commons, is the LotO, irrespective of whether he has any practical control over them.
    I understand that. It was my intention to suggest that effectively they present themselves collectively under a new label at 150 by elections - in the same way that Dick Taverne did at Lincoln in his March 1973 by election. Perhaps they could simply call themselves PLP candidates. I suspect they would rout any official pro- Corbyn Labour candidate and - like Taverne - would also receive many tactical votes from former Tory and Oher voters.
  • Options

ROoooooooooooooooooot.

It's actually surprisingly low: 10 hundreds now out of 30 fifties or better, so just 33.3%. Root seems to get out in the 70s or 80s quite a lot.

For comparison, the top five test run scorers' rates are:

Tendulkar: 51/119 = 42.9%
    Ponting: 41/103 = 39.8%
    Kallis: 45/103 = 43.7%
    Dravid: 36/99 = 36.4%
    Sangakkara: 38/90 = 42.2%

Obviously, none are remotely close to

Bradman: 29/42 = 69.0%
    Michael Vaughan 50% not bad. He had a bit of a weakness in the 190s
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Hm, betting against the declaration... not sure how to read that?
  • Options
    edited July 2016

AndyJS said:

They'll declare before then I would have thought unless Stokes goes mental and comes off.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

ROoooooooooooooooooot.

0-19: 33
    20-49: 16
    50-99: 20
    100-149: 5
    150-199: 4*
    200+: 1

So 30 of 46 20+ scores have been 50+.
    How does that compare to others? I have to say it is a bit lower than I thought.
  • Options

Once again, Statsguru is awesome. This is Root's Test inning list sorted by most runs scored.

Interesting that five of his top six scores are not outs, and three of those innings were closed (the other two being the present one and his 200*, when England declared nine down).
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I'm just hoping for fast scoring this afternoon.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    alex. said:

AndyJS said:

They'll declare before then I would have thought unless Stokes goes mental and comes off.
    Should be fun if they send stokes in to go big or go home & they don't get him out quickly. 1-2hrs of stokes & Bairstow going at it could be very good viewing.
  • Options

MTimT said:

ROoooooooooooooooooot.

How does his innings to 50s ratio, at 30/79 compare?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Maomentum
    Wait till MI5 find out how many fucking leaflets they have to deliver.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    chestnut said:

The theory of masive boom for UK tourist industry is a little flawed. Firstly holidaying in UK is incredibly expensive & the weather always unpredictable.

They had Simon Calder (travel bod) on the radio a couple of weeks talking about this & he said even when we got basically parity of pound / euro a few years ago there wasn't a significant change in holiday trends.

It's already evident in bookings.
    and looking at the ques in Kent it will continue.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    BigIan said:

Pulpstar said:

justin124 said:

They need to resign the Labour whip for Corbyn not to be LOTO. If they resign the whip then there will be a(nother) Labour candidate at the by-election. Bercow won't entertain their nonsense of what you propose I think.
    They can't hold the Labour whip and Bercow be the LOTO.

They could all resign the whip and form a new party, then Corbyn wouldn't be LOTO.
    Correct, except there's no need for by-elections.

If you believe in mass deselections, they won't be the Labour PPCs anyway. So they might as well form their own breakaway party now (or as soon as Corbyn wins the leadership election again).

So then, come the GE, as SDP2 PPCs, they'll already have had a spell in Opposition as SDP2, with their own chosen leader as LotO, to give them the chance to prove themselves competent and electable.

Which would mean they'd at least have a fighting chance of retaining their seats against the new Corbynite Labour PPCs.
    You are correct that there would be no constitutional need for by elections , but I think the SDP defectors actually missed a trick back in 1981 by failing to resign to seek endorsement from their constituents. All would have won with huge majorities - and would probably have been much better placed to be re-elected in 1983. Many saw their behaviour as dishonourable. The only defector to force a by election was Bruce Douglas - Mann who joined the SDP in early 1982 and who had the misfortune to come unstuck in the May 1982 by election because the Falklands crisis was in full swing!
  • Options
    alex. said:

AndyJS said:

Especially with the rain that is promised for tomorrow afternoon.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

F1: third practice kicks off in five minutes.

Mr. Y0kel, able to say any more?

Must admit, that sort of thing did cross my mind the other day, given what happened with the media earlier in the year.

Clarity takes away fear.

The leak on the guys ethnicity was an example of contrary briefing going on. Just state it, its a fact. They knew hours before, hours. Given at one stage they were thinking that they were after a number of people it would make sense to state that.

Young David, the gunman seemed to have great interest in mass killing incidents. His victims were nearly all young, the incident was at a McDonalds.

Those are facts, just state them.

Factually at this point there is no decisive sense yet that this a directed assault by an IS or Al; Qaeda or even inspired and encouraged. That may well come when computers and phones are taken apart but hiding the guy's ethnicity whilst a fluid security situation goes on is idiotic.

Sensitivity above practicality. People were being killed, get with it.

Please don't turn this into a cover up conspiracy, there must be thousands of iranian looking people in Munich doubt saying he looked middle eastern would've helped.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Saturday afternoon, the sun is shining and PB conversation is once again dominated by the cricket. Just need a little parallel conversation on steam trains (or maybe engineering) and all we be right again in the PB world. The hectic madness of recent weeks is receding.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Damn woakes gone. 10 Mins before lunch my the time to be getting out.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    nunu said:

Y0kel said:

F1: third practice kicks off in five minutes.

Mr. Y0kel, able to say any more?

Must admit, that sort of thing did cross my mind the other day, given what happened with the media earlier in the year.

Clarity takes away fear.

The leak on the guys ethnicity was an example of contrary briefing going on. Just state it, its a fact. They knew hours before, hours. Given at one stage they were thinking that they were after a number of people it would make sense to state that.

Young David, the gunman seemed to have great interest in mass killing incidents. His victims were nearly all young, the incident was at a McDonalds.

Those are facts, just state them.

Factually at this point there is no decisive sense yet that this a directed assault by an IS or Al; Qaeda or even inspired and encouraged. That may well come when computers and phones are taken apart but hiding the guy's ethnicity whilst a fluid security situation goes on is idiotic.

Sensitivity above practicality. People were being killed, get with it.

Please don't turn this into a cover up conspiracy, there must be thousands of iranian looking people in Munich doubt saying he looked middle eastern would've helped.
    I don't think that Yokel is arguing cover up, rather incompetence. I'd agree. Withholding details from the public is not on, unless they truly believed that to release the information would put others in danger. No particular evidence for that in this case, so the public should have been informed.
  • Options

Damn woakes gone.

That's why England aren't at the very top level. Australia at their best would have got through this session without losing a wicket.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,104

They have before when Stokes was getting his double century.

What amused me about that innings, was he should have had a triple century, which wouldn't have taken long. He only got out when he skied one and AB de Villiers of all people dropped a sitter, but Stokes had been ball watching and didn't make his ground, and de Villiers had time to run him out.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

ROoooooooooooooooooot.

Eleventh highest amongst all players with 30 or more fifties.

These are higher:

DG Bradman (Aus)
    H Sutcliffe (Eng)
    JB Hobbs (Eng)
    KF Barrington (Eng)
    ED Weekes (WI)
    Saeed Anwar (Pak)
    Misbah-ul-Haq (Pak)
    KC Sangakkara (SL)
    KD Walters (Aus)
    DA Warner (Aus)
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Conversation just overheard on a station after woman asks a guy for help for finding platforms

Girl- where's Cardiff?
    Guy - no it's in Wales
    Girl - capital of where?

Momentary pause

was the woman a london Labour MP by any chance?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Damn woakes gone.

That's why England aren't at the very top level. Australia at their best would have got through this session without losing a wicket.
    Comparing England to possibly the best team ever, Australia at their best, is setting a high bar indeed!
  • Options
    DaveDaveDaveDave Posts: 76

Apparently the wktkeeper at Surrey is called Foakes. Would be great if he, Woakes and Stokes made the team at the same time!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    AndyJS said:

Damn woakes gone.

England are miles off that level. Poor opener in hales, Vince & balance not good enough, Ali not a world class spinner, no speedster & no "variation" bowler like left armer.

We are over reliant on cook, root & Anderson.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    I was a little surprised that they refused to reveal which school he attended. It will hardly be a secret, will it?

It could be just Germanic caution, but it's totally pointless.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

ROoooooooooooooooooot.

At 40.0%, it's outstanding. Of all batsmen who've scored 5000+ test runs (which Root hasn't yet), the top ten 50:inns ratios are

DG Bradman: 42/80 = 52.5%
    JB Hobbs: 43/102 = 42.2%
    KF Barrington 55/131 = 42.0%
    KC Sangakkara 90/233 = 38.6%
    KD Walters 48/125 = 38.4%
    IVA Richards 69/182 = 37.9%
    L Hutton 52/138 = 37.7%
    SM Gavaskar 79/214 = 36.9%
    JH Kallis 103/280 = 36.8%
    Mohammad Yousuf 57/156 = 36.5%
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Thrak said:

Well quite.
  • Options
    DaveDave said:

Apparently the wktkeeper at Surrey is called Foakes. Would be great if he, Woakes and Stokes made the team at the same time!
    Can they get Sam Vokes in as a guest?
  • Options

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

ROoooooooooooooooooot.

At 40.0%, it's outstanding. Of all batsmen who've scored 5000+ test runs (which Root hasn't yet), the top ten 50:inns ratios are

DG Bradman: 42/80 = 52.5%
    JB Hobbs: 43/102 = 42.2%
    KF Barrington 55/131 = 42.0%
    KC Sangakkara 90/233 = 38.6%
    KD Walters 48/125 = 38.4%
    IVA Richards 69/182 = 37.9%
    L Hutton 52/138 = 37.7%
    SM Gavaskar 79/214 = 36.9%
    JH Kallis 103/280 = 36.8%
    Mohammad Yousuf 57/156 = 36.5%
    Thanks. He is up there with the Gods.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Damn woakes gone.

Comparing England to possibly the best team ever, Australia at their best, is setting a high bar indeed!
    It's also something of a ridiculous assertion. The only man who's got out is the nightwatchman FFS!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    alex. said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Damn woakes gone.

It's also something of a ridiculous assertion. The only man who's got out is the nightwatchman FFS!
    In any case as a child of the 90s I never get too critical of England. We may be ranked 4th or 5th among Test nations, but on our day we can beat anyone, we have 2-3 world class players and another 3-4 really good ones, I'd like better but it's good enough for me.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Most pressing question of the day...who is the cookie monster ! They must be melting in that costume.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

alex. said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Damn woakes gone.

In any case as a child of the 90s I never get too critical of England. We may be ranked 4th or 5th among Test nations, but on our day we can beat anyone, we have 2-3 world class players and another 3-4 really good ones, I'd like better but it's good enough for me.
    If we win this series we will have won our last series against every test playing nation.
  • Options

Most pressing question of the day...who is the cookie monster ! They must be melting in that costume.

The guy from sesame street?
  • Options
    edited July 2016

This person is at every game!

https://twitter.com/michaelvaughan/status/498523517114396672
  • Options
    alex. said:

kle4 said:

alex. said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Damn woakes gone.

If we win this series we will have won our last series against every test playing nation.
    ...and will still only be second in the rankings...
  • Options
    BigIanBigIan Posts: 198
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Not possible within Labour, which would almost certainly expel them if they tried that sort of trick anyway.

As long as they are *Labour* MPs, then the leader of the Labour party, if in the Commons, is the LotO, irrespective of whether he has any practical control over them.
    I understand that. It was my intention to suggest that effectively they present themselves collectively under a new label at 150 by elections - in the same way that Dick Taverne did at Lincoln in his March 1973 by election. Perhaps they could simply call themselves PLP candidates. I suspect they would rout any official pro- Corbyn Labour candidate and - like Taverne - would also receive many tactical votes from former Tory and Oher voters.
    Aha, so you're suggesting a split to form a new party, and then immediate by-elections, right?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    From the BBC website ... "A spokesman for the Munich prosecutor, Thomas Steinktaus-Koch, said the killer might have been receiving psychiatric care."

Now that's either conjecture or fact. If it's the former, then why hide certain facts?

I'm inclined to think cock-up not conspiracy, but they do give room for both.
  • Options

This person is at every game!

https://twitter.com/michaelvaughan/status/498523517114396672
    Quite difficult to focus on the cookie monster, much easier to look at person sitting next to....
  • Options
    alex. said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Damn woakes gone.

Indeed. The job of the nightwatchman is to get through the remainder of the evening session without losing his wicket. You can hardly fault him for nearly getting through the next session also and piling on 58 runs to boot.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,486
    DaveDave said:

The Sun headline writers would have a field day with that keeper.
  • Options
    BigIan said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Aha, so you're suggesting a split to form a new party, and then immediate by-elections, right?
    This plan would be fine if the Tories had a good majority and thereby it wouldn't make much of a difference to their ability to pass legislation. In practice the Tories would win a significant number of the seats and a battle would be won in the Labour Party at significant concurrent boost to the government..
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,154
    edited July 2016
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

The intensity of his action during the campaign, when if he thought he'd win easily he could have sat back and taken fewer risks irritating his party, do not seem like the actions of a man who thought he would win comfortably.
    We were told that Cameron was aiming for a big win to end the issue for a generation.

I remember Richard Nabavi predicting a repeat of the 2:1 1975 victory.

Later I think Cameron was still expecting victory but only by around 10%.
  • Options
    Nowt foot movement their Geoffrey!!!
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,486
    This article is pretty much peak Express all it is missing is a tenuous Princess Diana reference.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/692031/Does-hand-sign-made-by-Merkel-May-and-now-Juncker-prove-there-is-a-secret-EU-illuminati
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Reading the bbc report, you would excuse people for thinking that the German killer was a white right wing nutter...you have to get to the very end where one mention of German / Iranian. Lots of talk of brevikt. Strange how bbc claim they don't know the name of the individual when it is known.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,218
    Moses_ said:

Girl- where's Cardiff?
    Guy - no it's in Wales
    Girl - capital of where?

Momentary pause

:smiley:
  • Options
    F1 qualifying looking "interesting"
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

AndyJS said:

Damn woakes gone.

England are miles off that level. Poor opener in hales, Vince & balance not good enough, Ali not a world class spinner, no speedster & no "variation" bowler like left armer.

We are really going to see where England are at when Anderson retires. That is likely to produce a really noticeable drop-off in results. Hopefully that's far away enough for a suitable replacement to be found. But given that they are still struggling to replace Strauss (!), I wouldn't bet on it.

You might have added to your list that the wicketkeeper issue still isn't completely resolved.

Overall I'm pretty much in agreement with kle4 though - they can be fun to watch (as well as frustrating!), they pull some surprises off, they aren't top class but I don't really have any expectations of England being a world-dominant team anyway.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

This article is pretty much peak Express all it is missing is a tenuous Princess Diana reference.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/692031/Does-hand-sign-made-by-Merkel-May-and-now-Juncker-prove-there-is-a-secret-EU-illuminati

A fun read though. I particularly liked the bit further down on the EU demanding all the national flags add the EU ring of 12 stars - some of the designs are an actual improvement IMO. The Union Flag excepted, of course. ;)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,293

It's the only way Theresa May can enjoy the cricket anonymously.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Damn woakes gone.

We are really going to see where England are at when Anderson retires. That is likely to produce a really noticeable drop-off in results. Hopefully that's far away enough for a suitable replacement to be found. But given that they are still struggling to replace Strauss (!), I wouldn't bet on it.

You might have added to your list that the wicketkeeper issue still isn't completely resolved.

Overall I'm pretty much in agreement with kle4 though - they can be fun to watch (as well as frustrating!), they pull some surprises off, they aren't top class but I don't really have any expectations of England being a world-dominant team anyway.
    Definitely agree with all of that. Anderson went a crazy number of years without injury & now he is increasingly breaking down & we don't have any replacement. Finn is a mess, wood is still struggling with injuries, ball looked ok but too early to tell & none are the dangerous canny swing bowler that is Anderson.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Damn woakes gone.

The case against is being overstated IMO. 5 of England's team would be automatic choices in any other team in the World (Cook, Root, Stokes, Broad, Anderson). Bairstow possibly as a batsman as well and quite possibly Woakes if recent performances are sustained. Ali would be a useful addition to most teams as well. And in general the age profile leaves huge room for improvement as well.
  • Options
    alex. said:

AndyJS said:

Damn woakes gone.

The case against is being overstated IMO. 5 of England's team would be automatic choices in any other team in the World (Cook, Root, Stokes, Broad, Anderson). Bairstow possibly as a batsman as well and quite possibly Woakes if recent performances are sustained. Ali would be a useful addition to most teams as well. And in general the age profile leaves huge room for improvement as well.
    I don't think any team at the moment is that good, with the likes of Sri Lanka embarrassingly bad.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,584
    for those waiting for cricket to restart and in need of popcorn moments, Dan Hodges is amusing himself this afternoon by baiting Corbynista on his twitter feed about Sin Feinn thing.
  • Options
    Right come on stokes let's see some fireworks!
  • Options

for those waiting for cricket to restart and in need of popcorn moments, Dan Hodges is amusing himself this afternoon by baiting Corbynista on his twitter feed about Sin Feinn thing.

I can't really see why this is actually news? Is there something obvious that I've missed?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,877
    edited July 2016

Is this not just Jeremy Corbyn and his friends lying again, just as Commissar Maodonnell did a few days ago about his willingness to split the party "if this is what it takes"?

PS I see that Dr Eoin's latest website appears to have been suspended:
    http://labourrebuttal.com/

@ Mr Quidder.
    It is not news, it is displacement activity.
    Any day of any game of cricket requires 4 hours of either napping or faffing. This is the latter.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,545
    Scott_P said:
    She is in a much stronger position than Rentoul suggests. The opposition is in crisis. The Commons will vote to invoke Article 50 (if they indeed have to) because, contrary to the wishful thinking brigade, they have no choice but to respect the decision to leave.

The only thing I agree with Rentoul about in that article is that there will be a general election on the Brexit deal.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,293
    The DNC leaked emails seem like a significant story. Not least because of the question of how Wikileaks obtained them.

It was previously revealed that the Russians had hacked the DNC's computer system. If they've handed material to Wikileaks that helps Trump politically we can probably expect more damaging things to come out closer to the election.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    MattW said:

Is this not just Jeremy Corbyn and his friends lying again, just as Commissar Maodonnell did a few days ago about his willingness to split the party "if this is what it takes"?

PS I see that Dr Eoin's latest website appears to have been suspended:
    http://labourrebuttal.com/

@ Mr Quidder.
    It is not news, it is displacement activity.
    Any day of any game of cricket requires 4 hours of either napping or faffing. This is the latter.
    Does he actually ever do any work at his day job of glorified librarian?
  • Options
    Ben stokes.....Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • Options
    alex. said:

AndyJS said:

Damn woakes gone.

I agree entirely. I have been an English cricket fan since the embarrassing early 70s against the Windies. This team is the only one since then that I truly expect to win every series they are involved in, and it is a genuine disappointment when they don't. Back in the 70s, having the team take one match in a series against a top team was reason to rejoice.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,620

Come on Northwestern India :)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    John_M said:

GIN1138 said:

There's a real mismatch between our institutions and treaties and the complexities of the present day. We have too many areas that have become simply articles of faith. The second amendment (1791). The four freedoms (1957). The NHS (1945). Nato (1949).

All set down in a simpler world. None are fit for purpose now.
    Post world war 2 reconstruction was a simpler world? It's a view I suppose.
  • Options

Come on Northwestern India :)
    I wonder how Southeastern Pakistan would be faring ... ;)
This discussion has been closed.