Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So now the LAB leadership is a two horse race

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,210
    John_M said:

If you want to see what Remainia would look like:

Isn't NI wrong?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Speedy said:

Freggles said:

Is this when PB Tories stop saying "Angela is rubbish" and pivot seamlessly to "You should have chosen the woman you sexists"?

You should have chosen the woman you sexists.
    By which I mean Lisa Nandy [clutches betting slip].
    I think the only woman who came close to being Labour leader was Barbara Castle.
    And she would have been, if she hadn't slept with a Tory millionaire in his yacht at the middle of a crucial industrial dispute.
    :open_mouth:

What?
    Oh come on Plato, we've all done that.
    Absolutely. He that is without sin cast etc.
    And what a dull life he led :smiley:

Outrage the neighbours is more my style.
    I've had my moments :). Well, decade maybe. Ah, the 80s. If I could remember you, I'd probably miss you.
    My mum's credo was two fold *always make sure you have the next one lined up before you dump the last - Henry VIII had the right idea* and *don't give a fig what anyone else thinks*

A very Bohemian view of life - she was brought up as an ultra strict Catholic. She rejected her faith on her 18th birthday and seriously feared being struck dead by a bolt of lightning. She deliberately painted her finger and toe nails scarlet as a show of devilish defiance - never saw her without it for 50yrs.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Danny565 said:

A mere taste of the misery he inflicted on millions of Brits these past 6 years.
    NO NO NO NO NO.. It was Brown who inflicted the misery on the UK.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    RobD said:

John_M said:

Isn't NI wrong?
    Everyone's a critic *sobs* *flounces*.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,084

Danny565 said:

A mere taste of the misery he inflicted on millions of Brits these past 6 years.
    Nope
    John_M said:

Looks sunny.
  • Options
    John_M said:

RobD said:

John_M said:

Isn't NI wrong?
    Everyone's a critic *sobs* *flounces*.
    My job here is done! :p
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Brom said:

Jess Phillips on Channel 4 News essentially admitting she wouldn't stay in Labour if Corbyn wins. Not much of a loss to them in fairness.

Another reason to vote Corbyn.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Danny565 said:

Nope
    John_M said:

Looks sunny.
    DEFECIT DENIER>> hardly surprising since you are Labour,.
  • Options
    I am sure this is part of Osborne's master strategy.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    John_M said:

:love:
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Danny565 said:

Nope
    John_M said:

Looks sunny.
    AAA Brown vs. AA Osborne
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,332
    Danny565 said:

Danny, I'm no fan of the Gidiot but to suggest that he presided over mass unemployment is simply wrong.

May was totally correct that he overpromised and underdelivered. That made him a lousy politician. But actually contrary to Labour propaganda he was much more successful than Brown or Darling. Brown really did make catastrophic mistakes in terms of borrowing (£50 billion deficit in 2006) and while Darling meant well our economy was still flatlining in 2010 and while we nominally kept our AAA rating our costs of borrowing were actually at about AA levels as it was expected our deficit would go in rising if Labour won rather than falling.

Osborne's mistake was to assume he could eliminate the deficit, cut taxes, increase employment and stabilise private borrowing all at the same time without cutting hard into essential services, which was and is simply not possible given our situation and the huge salary increases Brown gave his client groups. That he promised to do all that shows he was an idiot who didn't know what he was talking about. That he didn't cause another massive collapse however suggests he wasn't completely useless, or at least not as useless as Brown.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

:love:
    My god look at the midlands.....
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Danny565 said:

Nope
    John_M said:

Looks sunny.
    AAA Brown vs. AA Osborne
    if someone dumps 156 billion quids worth of turds on your lawn, and another 156 billions worth every year thereafter for ever, not surprising that you get a load of shit if you have to spread it out and about to stop it happening
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Danny565 said:

Nope
    John_M said:

Looks sunny.
    AAA Brown vs. AA Osborne
    AAA right before the crash, if I'm not mistaken
  • Options
    Osborne was elected on ticket to protect our AAA rating and then created a political catastrophe out of thin air and destroyed it overnight.

Nice.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Danny565 said:

Nope
    John_M said:

Looks sunny.
    AAA Brown vs. AA Osborne
    if someone dumps 156 billion quids worth of turds on your lawn, and another 156 billions worth every year thereafter for ever, not surprising that you get a load of shit if you have to spread it out and about to stop it happening
    I think its touching that anyone still cares what the ratings agencies think. The day the UK lost its last AAA rating (the other two agencies cut it in 2013), our borrowing costs went down. The risk premium / credit rating link is pretty broken these days.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Danny565 said:

Nope
    John_M said:

Looks sunny.
    AAA Brown vs. AA Osborne
    AAA before the crash.
    AAA after the crash.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited July 2016
    MP_SE said:

I am sure this is part of Osborne's master strategy.
    Hell of a fall from grace. Wasn't it only last autumn that the backbenchers were cheering him to the rafters when he announced the living wage? That was his high point and he trundled quickly downhill after that.

High ranking political careers are becoming very similar to those of top level football managers. One season you can win the league, the next you can be out on your arse.

There's a saying in sport that you are never as good as people tell you you are when you're winning and you are never as bad as you think you are when you lose.

I suspect Osborne's actual career as chancellor was a lot more steady and prosaic than the frenzied headlines that accompanied it.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Osborne was elected on ticket to protect our AAA rating and then created a political catastrophe out of thin air and destroyed it overnight.

Nice.

I'm not sure what the political catastrophe is. You are of course correct about Osborne's stated goals and how he failed to achieve them.

Which, as May said, made him a dud politician. But embarrassingly for Labour his record remains better than Brown's.
  • Options

Owen.. lets spend 200 billion we haven't got Smith.... That's a runner for certain.. There are loads of numpties who will believe that rubbish.

Suspect he is saying what needs to be said then will make u turns when elected.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    So Labour are going to be led by a white, male middle class guy. Shocking.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,562

Cyclefree said:

John_M said:

Chris said:

Indigo said:

Across Europe whole schools of sociology professors will now be being deployed to come up with any explanation for why people called Mohammed keep on shouting ‘Allahu Akbar’ and killing everyone. With appropriate levels of funding they could well come up with the perfect way in which to miss the point by the middle of the 22nd century.

Well, we in the UK worked out some time ago why people called Paddy kept on shouting "Give Ireland back to the Irish" a killing everone. Not only that, but we worked out how to stop it.

Perhaps our esteemed Boris could offer this information as part of the Brexit negotiations?
    The IRA had objectives that were subject to negotiation, and were very susceptible to infiltration. Neither apply to Salafism, unless we all adopt the Jim Jones solution and save 'em the bother.
    And in the end the IRA were beaten.

I suspect more could be done re infiltration but in the end we have to defeat Islamism, ideologically as much as on any battlefield. Indeed I would say that the former is more important than the latter.

The IRA were beaten because we could demonstrate that their objectives were ultimately achievable by political means and we made a real effort to deal with legitimate grievances about the administration of Northern Ireland in the meantime.

Unless anyone is happy with taking steps towards the imposition of Islamic government in this country, the same can never be true of Islamism.
    The IRA were beaten with the bullet and ballot box. Yes, a reflection of their own strategy. The security services penetrated the Republican and Loyalist paramilitaries to the point where they were encouraging the internal "security organisations" of both groups to murder those opposed to the peace process. Then the British government offered jobs in government to the house trained survivors.

The Islamists love violent factionalism....
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Nice.

I don't know who has a worse reputation the credit agencies or Brown.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Nice.

I'm not sure what the political catastrophe is. You are of course correct about Osborne's stated goals and how he failed to achieve them.

Which, as May said, made him a dud politician. But embarrassingly for Labour his record remains better than Brown's.
    If losing both your PM and Chancellor just one year into a majority govt after an unplanned Brexit is not a political catastrophe, I don't know what is!
  • Options
    nunu said:

Jonathan said:

Nice.

Brown has the best reputation of any C21 Prime Minister.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Nice.

If losing both your PM and Chancellor just one year into a majority govt after an unplanned Brexit is not a political catastrophe, I don't know what is!
    It seemed to me that you were linking it to his economic record and you were saying we lost our rating because of some political catastrophe. I clearly misunderstood you.

Now you have explained, I would have said bluntly that Osborne is no loss and that Cameron's departure was priced in. It was a sudden crisis but hardly a catastrophe.

I know how you feel about Jeremy Corbyn so I'll let the last five words go.
  • Options
    DennisBetsDennisBets Posts: 244

Danny565 said:

That's why Lehman Bros collapsing in the US started the whole thing.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

nunu said:

Jonathan said:

Nice.

Brown has the best reputation of any C21 Prime Minister.
    ...except in his own country, where he's a pariah.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,388
    John_M said:

The IRA had objectives that were subject to negotiation, and were very susceptible to infiltration. Neither apply to Salafism, unless we all adopt the Jim Jones solution and save 'em the bother.

For heaven's sake, it was just an example!

I could just as easily have said we'd worked out why people called Fritz kept shouting "Uber Alles" and killing everyone - or any other offensive stereotype you can thing of for that matter.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited July 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

PlatoSaid said:

Indigo said:

Douglas Murray is channelling SeanT in the Speccie.
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/07/french-mood-finally-snaps-marine-le-pen-will-waiting/
    Across Europe whole schools of sociology professors will now be being deployed to come up with any explanation for why people called Mohammed keep on shouting ‘Allahu Akbar’ and killing everyone. With appropriate levels of funding they could well come up with the perfect way in which to miss the point by the middle of the 22nd century.

On a previous thread, someone asked why Christians rarely call themselves Jesus Jesus - even in Spain or Mexico.

Reminded me of the footballing Neville twins - their dad was called Neville Neville.
    It's not quite true, although much less common in the current generation. The majority of girls in the Philippines over 40 are called Maria, and a pretty fair proportion of guys are called some variation of Joseph or Jesus. Its just that almost everyone here is known by a nickname so you would never know! One of my wife's aunt's has four daughters and a son, all the daughters are called Maria, and the son is called Joseph, so will frequently see names written as "Ma. Christina Dela Cruz".

There was a time not long ago that many priests would refuse to baptise a child if their first name didn't appear (with appropriate connotations) in the Bible. Consider the new vice-president of the Philippines, usually known as Leni Robredo, full name Maria Leonor Santo Tomas Gerona Robredo.
    It was surprisingly common in Portugal 40 years ago as well. My mother-in-law, and her sisters were all named Maria X de Andrade. With the X varying with the child. Obviously, they all go by X, and the 'Maria' is restricted to the passport.
    Sounds about right. There was, and to an extent still is, to give young Portuguese male Llamas the second name of Maria, e.g Jose Maria .... , Not as common as it once was but still quite prevalent. To compensate most children are known by their third name or a completely unrelated nickname, so it usually doesn't matter that six cousins from the same generation are all named Jose Maria.
  • Options
    Though to be fair that one might not be as good as a Brexit negotiating counter.
  • Options
    Chris said:

John_M said:

I could just as easily have said we'd worked out why people called Fritz kept shouting "Uber Alles" and killing everyone - or any other offensive stereotype you can thing of for that matter.
    Well, in the gentlest possible way, it was a poor example. We are struggling to come to terms with a rather nebulous opponent that, while backed by state actors, isn't one. It has pretty much global reach and is not impressed by the alleged benefits of Western secular democracies, even when living in said democracies. Rather, it's actively repelled by what they offer. That's completely new to us. It's very hard for us to combat memes.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Well, in the gentlest possible way, it was a poor example.

If the example was poor, you should read the tripe it was posted in response to!
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Danny565 said:

It didn't. The crisis had been rumbling for over a year when Lehmann Brothers went down.

Brown's errors were two:
    1) to fail to enforce minimal capital ratios in banks due to the weakness of the tripartite system he and Darling had put in place in the teeth of fierce opposition from Eddie George in 1997, leaving the banks horribly reliant on short term borrowing that when the bank markets froze overnight left all bar two of them literally bankrupt;

2) to run a very large deficit in a time of economic growth which had caused our debt to balloon from 30% to 40% of GDP between 2001 and 2007, despite substantial growth in GDP in the same period. He did this because he genuinely believed he had 'abolished boom and bust' (which he later deliberately falsely said had been 'Tory boom and bust'). This left us horribly exposed when a contraction inevitably hit and our tax revenues collapsed.

Like I say, a dismal record. Labour need to face this, 'fess up and apologise. The longer they wrap themselves in the comfort blanket of convincing themselves it was all big business and began in America, the longer it will take them to regain economic credibility and plot a path back to power. Ed Miliband's avoidance strategy led him to defeat. But denial is now taking gargantuan overtones and is the second most serious weakness Labour have after their leadership.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Jonathan said:

Nice.

Interesting fact: only twelve countries still have an AAA rating, three of which are micro states.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Danny565 said:

It didn't. The crisis had been rumbling for over a year when Lehmann Brothers went down.

Brown's errors were two:
    1) to fail to enforce minimal capital ratios in banks due to the weakness of the tripartite system he and Darling had put in place in the teeth of fierce opposition from Eddie George in 1997, leaving the banks horribly reliant on short term borrowing that when the bank markets froze overnight left all bar two of them literally bankrupt;

2) to run a very large deficit in a time of economic growth which had caused our debt to balloon from 30% to 40% of GDP between 2001 and 2007, despite substantial growth in GDP in the same period. He did this because he genuinely believed he had 'abolished boom and bust' (which he later deliberately falsely said had been 'Tory boom and bust'). This left us horribly exposed when a contraction inevitably hit and our tax revenues collapsed.

Like I say, a dismal record. Labour need to face this, 'fess up and apologise. The longer they wrap themselves in the comfort blanket of convincing themselves it was all big business and began in America, the longer it will take them to regain economic credibility and plot a path back to power. Ed Miliband's avoidance strategy led him to defeat. But denial is now taking gargantuan overtones and is the second most serious weakness Labour have after their leadership.
    Well we'd all be better off now if Ed had won last year.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Chris said:

John_M said:

But has that ever happened? And if it did, what would the reason for it be that we would have hypothetically worked out?
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

But has that ever happened?

???????

What on earth do they teach in history lessons these days??????
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,105
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Danny565 said:

Brown's errors were two:

Oh dear God has the hot weather addled your wits.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @SkyNewsBreak: Mark Cavendish says he has left this year's Tour de France saying continuing would have a "detrimental effect" on his Olympic aspirations
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    steve bruce has been interviewed for england job.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Chris said:

John_M said:

But has that ever happened? And if it did, what would the reason for it be that we would have hypothetically worked out?
    Well, we did finally cotton to what Herr Hitler meant by that 'lebensraum' crack.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Freggles said:

Is this when PB Tories stop saying "Angela is rubbish" and pivot seamlessly to "You should have chosen the woman you sexists"?

This. Weren't Tories recently being very critical of Eagle? Far more than Smith. PB hates 'identity politics' - except when it can lambast the Labour party using 'identity politics'.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Danny565 said:

Nope
    John_M said:

Looks sunny.
    AAA Brown vs. AA Osborne
    AAA before the crash.
    AAA after the crash.
    Just shows how bloody useless they are :D
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Danny565 said:

Brown's errors were two:

One day, Mr Jonathan, I will take the bus up to Horsham and we can sit in the Bear while you explain the logic behind that post to me. We will need to start early at lunchtime, otherwise I doubt we will have enough time.
  • Options

Freggles said:

This. Weren't Tories recently being very critical of Eagle? Far more than Smith. PB hates 'identity politics' - except when it can lambast the Labour party using 'identity politics'.
    I was certainly critical of each candidate that argued that their personal attributes uniquely fitted them for leadership. I don't care that Burnham is a Northern football supporter. Leadsom's motherhood leaves me cold. Eagle's lesbianism is irrelevant. I couldn't give two hoots that May is state educated.

Symbolism and tokenism is for twelve year olds. What's their vision for the country? What do they want to achieve? How do they propose to do so? How will they pay for it?
  • Options
    @SophyRidgeSky: A woman has never placed above a man in any Labour leadership election. Female candidates have always come bottom.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,994
    It had to be a Owen. But the way Angela has been treated is disgusting and the guns are now emptying their barrels of hate at him now instead. Someone said it's another man. Yes - because of positioning. Had Lisa Nandy stepped up it would have been her. As a feminist I advocate equality in all things but equality doesn't mean advancing a candidate less well suited just because of gender.

Having supported Angela Eagle for deputy last year it's been disappointing how poorly she has come across in recent weeks. May well be the massive pressure she has been put under - regardless of party I have huge respect for all our politicians who open themselves their family and friends to this level of abuse.
  • Options
    I wonder just why May was so brutal towards Osborne?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited July 2016
    ydoethur said:

Danny565 said:

Brown's errors were two:
    Wasn't the bank capital requirements set by the Basle 2 accords, which came to the UK as an EU directive?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Scott_P said:

@SophyRidgeSky: A woman has never placed above a man in any Labour leadership election. Female candidates have always come bottom.

Are Labour institutionally sexist?

Climb aboard the pink bus to debate this.
  • Options
    @patrickwintour: Since 1906 there have been 19 different Labour leaders, not counting acting leaders. All male, all of the time. Glass ceiling bit visible.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Nadine Dorries suggested that Mr Osborne has been consistently rude to Mrs May in the past. That might have added some spice :)

twitter.com/NadineDorriesMP/status/754346597408993280
  • Options
    John_M said:

Freggles said:

I was certainly critical of each candidate that argued that their personal attributes uniquely fitted them for leadership. I don't care that Burnham is a Northern football supporter. Leadsom's motherhood leaves me cold. Eagle's lesbianism is irrelevant. I couldn't give two hoots that May is state educated.

Symbolism and tokenism is for twelve year olds. What's their vision for the country? What do they want to achieve? How do they propose to do so? How will they pay for it?
    I doubt many in the Labour party could provide coherent answers to your last three questions, sadly. I agree with SouthamOsbserver that Eagle has been incredibly self-sacrificing as of late. She may not be the most ideal leader, but she definitely cares about the Labour party and the country having some semblance of an opposition.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,129
    Good evening, everyone.

Shame Eagle isn't standing.
  • Options

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

I liked Cameron and the Cameroons, but it was no secret how disdainful they were of both their own PCP and the membership if not part of the Notting Hill set.
  • Options

Nadine Dorries suggested that Mr Osborne has been consistently rude to Mrs May in the past. That might have added some spice :)

That's interesting. It paints a very different picture of his character than the one we've been used to hearing. Some have been at pains to portrait Osborne as this amiable guy who has a great sense of humour. That tweet portraits Osborne as the exact opposite.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Freggles said:

Quite right, Mr. M.. The other day someone on here said that Justine Greening was a member of the LGBT community (under which heading was not mentioned). I felt quite pleased because she has been a politician and minister for some years without me ever knowing that she was a member of of this newly protected minority. As far as I was am am concerned she is just another useless politician who can either be house trained by her officials in very short order or one who will spout off any old rubbish if it pleases the PM. Who or what she chooses to go to bed with is rightly none of my business.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,358

Could be a number of reasons.

1) She thinks he's incompetent but has never been able to say so
    2) She dislikes him personally
    3) Allowing him to leave with dignity makes it more likely he will stick around long term and become a potential rival or successor (however improbable that seems, he is still only 45), whereas publicly trashing him makes him less a problem short term as he's too hurt bu the referendum to fight back, and it might persuade him not to stick around
    4) It helps develop a narrative of ruthlessness that may or may not be true (some reports she was forced not to let Gove back in), and a narrative of change - so she can get non-Cameroons on board, while potentially retaining Cameroons so long as other change was actually minimal
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Scott_P said:

Are Labour institutionally sexist?

Climb aboard the pink bus to debate this.
    No, just institutionally shit.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Danny565 said:

Brown's errors were two:
    Wasn't the bank capital requirements set by the Basle 2 accords, which came to the UK as an EU directive?
    It doesn't matter who set them. The problem was that they were not being enforced.

Regulations and laws are no damn good if nobody polices them, which is what had happened to our banks between 1997 and 2008.

@HurstLlama I think @Jonathan meant there would have been no EU vote and no Brexit with concomitant economic shocks and uncertainty.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

She is not overly keen on him as a person/ Tory/ politician ...... You take your pick and whatever you pick, you'll be correct
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Scott_P said:

@patrickwintour: Since 1906 there have been 19 different Labour leaders, not counting acting leaders. All male, all of the time. Glass ceiling bit visible.

But strangely 50% of acting leaders have been female - Attlee, Brown, Beckett and Harman.

Edit - I forgot Lansbury, but Harman had two goes of course so the stat still stands.
  • Options
    John_M said:

I liked Cameron and the Cameroons, but it was no secret how disdainful they were of both their own PCP and the membership if not part of the Notting Hill set.
    IIRC Blair and his associates had a similar attitude to the PLP and the Labour party membership. But it did seem as if Cameron and Osborne were awfully cliquey. Weren't many of Cameron's 'advisors' and Downing Street Staff previously his friends and contemporaries? That did make me side eye him a bit.
  • Options

That's interesting. It paints a very different picture of his character than the one we've been used to hearing. Some have been at pains to portrait Osborne as this amiable guy who has a great sense of humour. That tweet portraits Osborne as the exact opposite.
    I have no way of knowing which account is true, but it is worth noting Nadine Dorries will hardly be an unbiased source when it comes to George and Dave.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Good evening, everyone.

Indeed, the Eagle has been stranded.

• Options

Good evening, everyone.

Will the Eagle see her wings clipped?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Could be a number of reasons.

1) She thinks he's incompetent but has never been able to say so
    2) She dislikes him personally
    3) Allowing him to leave with dignity makes it more likely he will stick around long term and become a potential rival or successor (however improbable that seems, he is still only 45), whereas publicly trashing him makes him less a problem short term as he's too hurt bu the referendum to fight back, and it might persuade him not to stick around
    4) It helps develop a narrative of ruthlessness that may or may not be true (some reports she was forced not to let Gove back in), and a narrative of change - so she can get non-Cameroons on board, while potentially retaining Cameroons so long as other change was actually minimal
    I think (1, (2, and (4 are especially spot on. I think Osborne may try to make May's life difficult in the future. I think the biggest issue for him however, is that Tory MPs right now don't seem to be Osborne's biggest fans. His reputation took a huge tonking in the last year or so with them.
  • Options
    If Mr. Sandpit is about (and even if he is not) Ladbrokes have their markets for Hungary up:
    https://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/betting/motor-racing/formula-1/2016-hungarian-grand-prix/222314623/
  • Options

John_M said:

IIRC Blair and his associates had a similar attitude to the PLP and the Labour party membership. But it did seem as if Cameron and Osborne were awfully cliquey. Weren't many of Cameron's 'advisors' and Downing Street Staff previously his friends and contemporaries? That did make me side eye him a bit.
    Both Blair and Cameron ran sofa governments. Wilson was similarly inclined. I think May will revert to a more formal cabinet-centric regime. She'll certainly keep ministers on a tighter leash, for good or ill. She'll also be more ready to sack them.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Danny565 said:

Brown's errors were two:
    @HurstLlama I think @Jonathan meant there would have been no EU vote and no Brexit with concomitant economic shocks and uncertainty.
    Maybe, Doctor, but that is not what he said and I am quite sure he is a big enough boy to tell me himself what he meant.

Mind, you if you want to come down to the Bear at Horsham and join in the discussion you would be more than welcome.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Ishmael_X said:

???????

Well in fairness I teach mostly on the war in the Pacific rather than the war in Poland. So my pupils might not be able to teach you that specific fact either.

And of course in the Holocaust they didn't shout because the gas masks got in the way.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

John_M said:

Freggles said:

I doubt many in the Labour party could provide coherent answers to your last three questions, sadly. I agree with SouthamOsbserver that Eagle has been incredibly self-sacrificing as of late. She may not be the most ideal leader, but she definitely cares about the Labour party and the country having some semblance of an opposition.
    That is an obituary. I agree.
  • Options

Good evening, everyone.

Not sure it is, that whiny monotone is like nails down a blackboard.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    If Turkey can sack 15,000 education staff at the stroke of a pen, does that mean that their public sector is a little bit bloated...?
  • Options
    F1: can't see any value, but interesting how relatively short Red Bull are to do well.
  • Options
    Mr. Jim, had some money on her.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Danny565 said:

Brown's errors were two:
    Maybe, Doctor, but that is not what he said and I am quite sure he is a big enough boy to tell me himself what he meant.

Mind, you if you want to come down to the Bear at Horsham and join in the discussion you would be more than welcome.
    How can I refuse, Mr Llama? :smiley:
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    alex. said:

If Turkey can sack 15,000 education staff at the stroke of a pen, does that mean that their public sector is a little bit bloated...?

Or that Erdogan doesn't care about education. He would make a worthy Secretary of State for Education in this country if so.

If you want something similar a little closer to home (that does not involve military coups and bombs going off but is going to wreck the education of 690 children);

http://m.tamworthherald.co.uk/dosthill-school-closed-in-two-day-staff-walkout/story-29529322-detail/story.html
  • Options
    Mr Dancer - dear God why man?
  • Options
    Is there a UKIP leadership election as well as labour? Shouldn't we be betting on that? Why gas if not been mentioned?
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Is there a UKIP leadership election as well as labour? Shouldn't we be betting on that? Why gas if not been mentioned?

The Greens' leadership election hasn't been mentioned either.

Must be some political news or other that's distracting everyone from the leadership elections in our two smallest parliamentary parties.
  • Options
    Mr. Jim, heard a rumour Smith was withdrawing.

Mr. Better, except for Woolfe[sp] are there any other announced UKIP leadership candidates.
  • Options
    Mr Dancer - ok that makes a tiny bit of sense.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

The Greens' leadership election hasn't been mentioned either.

Must be some political news or other that's distracting everyone from the leadership elections in our two smallest parliamentary parties.
    Oh come on the Greens will obviously go for Lucas and her homunculus.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,289
    What does the Labour party have to do to elect a female leader?! At least Eagles had the guts to throw her hat in the ring first and challenge Corbyn with all the abuse that came with it. It looks terrible for Owen Smith to immediately follow her over the barricades, and then see the PLP decide that another man in a suit is the best challenger to Corbyn thus forcing Eagles to stand side?!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Danny565 said:

Brown's errors were two:

Well that is damn generous of you, Doctor, However, if memory serves you are based is some benighted place to the West and North of London where trains run infrequently and slowly. For you to get to the Bear in Horsham would be a very big ask, Horsham also being on branch line (well two actually), and even if you made it in you'd probably never get back the same day.

So probably best if we made it a London lunchtime meeting. I haven't been up for a couple of years but there used to be an excellent Italian by Victoria Station, where we can sit, drink wine, eat and natter for hours. Pubs in that part of the world are not good.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Chris said:

Ishmael_X said:

???????

People called Mohammed are, documentedly, shouting "allahu akbar" and attacking people, with at least two instances in the last week. I was asking politely whether your claim about people called Fritz shouting "uber alles" was also literally true.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Well in fairness I teach mostly on the war in the Pacific rather than the war in Poland. So my pupils might not be able to teach you that specific fact either.

They leave school not knowing who the protagonists were in World War II?

Oh well, at least there's Wikipedia ...
  • Options
    The media certainly got this completely wrong having speculated prior to Mrs. May's coronation that Philip Hammond and George Osborne were likely to swap jobs, since the then Chancellor had long coveted the Foreign Office.
    Some swap!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Danny565 said:

Brown's errors were two:

Well that is damn generous of you, Doctor, However, if memory serves you are based is some benighted place to the West and North of London where trains run infrequently and slowly. For you to get to the Bear in Horsham would be a very big ask, Horsham also being on branch line (well two actually), and even if you made it in you'd probably never get back the same day.

So probably best if we made it a London lunchtime meeting. I haven't been up for a couple of years but there used to be an excellent Italian by Victoria Station, where we can sit, drink wine, eat and natter for hours. Pubs in that part of the world are not good.
    I will look forward to it. However I am going away for some weeks from tomorrow. Can I contact you again next month?

It's not too hard to get to London from Cannock - I just tend not to go there because I don't like the place.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Chris said:

Ishmael_X said:

???????

People called Mohammed are, documentedly, shouting "allahu akbar" and attacking people, with at least two instances in the last week. I was asking politely whether your claim about people called Fritz shouting "uber alles" was also literally true.
    I think it is pretty well established that it is at least figuratively true, even if specific instances of gentlemen named Fritz saying the exact words may be harder to chronicle this far on!
  • Options
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

They leave school not knowing who the protagonists were in World War II?

Oh well, at least there's Wikipedia ...
    They know that, I just tend not to go into the specifics of land campaigns in the West, or slogans, or anything like that.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

The media certainly got this completely wrong having speculated prior to Mrs. May's coronation that Philip Hammond and George Osborne were likely to swap jobs, since the then Chancellor had long coveted the Foreign Office.
    Some swap!

Well, Osborne did get a F.O.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Some swap!
    There was also speculation I recall that Gove had taken out Boris as part of a Cameroon suicide plot to clear the way for May. Guess that was totally wrong too ...
  • Options
    fitalass said:

What does the Labour party have to do to elect a female leader?! At least Eagles had the guts to throw her hat in the ring first and challenge Corbyn with all the abuse that came with it. It looks terrible for Owen Smith to immediately follow her over the barricades, and then see the PLP decide that another man in a suit is the best challenger to Corbyn thus forcing Eagles to stand side?!

Nobody forced her to stand aside.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

Good evening, everyone.

I was vacillating between "The Eagle has downstanded" and "I'm sorry I haven't argclu"

The latter, I think.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,126

Err. the tweet is Nadine - nuff said.
  • Options

Some swap!
    One of the reasons it's going to be difficult for the commentariat is that May doesn't socialise, doesn't gossip. A riddle wrapped in an enigma etc.
This discussion has been closed.