Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It was Team Corbyn who trashed the Big Tent

Comments

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    John_M said:
    I read earlier that he's sacked 15000 teachers too.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,851

FF43 said:

kle4 said:

Mr. kle4, elected, yes. Not 'freely'. Democracy requires more than just votes, it requires the absence of the state taking over or closing independent media, and the absence of arresting people with the temerity to disagree.

He won elections before he started doing that. And he'd probably win if he never had. The Turkish military seems to have a history of coups because the people keep electing the wrong people. Well, they did it again, and apparently will keep on doing it. Erdogan is therefore a problem, but not really the main one.
    I suspect Erdogan could be the main problem. Any attack on democracy must be resisted,but it's not clear who is initiating the coup against whom in this case.
    "Any attack on democracy must be resisted" What everywhere in every circumstances? I can think of one country I have lived in, which was and still is very much not a democracy, though there were mechanisms to give "the little people" a voice (probably better than in the UK), and yet the ruler was genuinely popular, the GDP/per head has consistently grown over 40 odd years and the wealth and welfare of the native peoples was the prime goal of government, after ensuring the safety of the state.

Actually universal suffrage democracy may not actually be the ideal solution.
    Singapore? I would question an assumption that a lack of democracy is the root cause of that city's success. I think Churchill called this roughly right when he said democracy was the worst form of government, apart from all the others.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Lowlander said:

John_M said:

I think we can guess at why house prices are a problem.
    https://twitter.com/montie/status/755413874975903744

Also new homes since the mid-90s are shite: cramped, tiny spaces with paper for walls and postage stamp amounts of land, yet just as expensive.
    Those figures are supply, they say nothing about demand. One without the other is not awfully useful.
    demand = supply
    Demand = Supply does not apply to necessities.
    Nothing to say it doesn't apply to our housing market though
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245

John_M said:

People don't want to live in the provinces though. There are ~90k people in all of Monmouthshire. Bags of room for new houses. Not that much demand. House price inflation is running at ~3%.

I do.
    It would be a pretty horrendous commute for your job, mind.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,486
    Turkey's purge of undesirables continues, 15,000 teachers now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36838347
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,030
    Mr. L, is it?

I wonder whether the divide is more urban and rural rather than North/South or anything else.

Mr. Royale, I'll buy myself some whisky if Kingdom Asunder exceeds a certain number of sales.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106
    Lowlander said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

John_M said:

ttps://twitter.com/montie/status/755413874975903744

Has Monty considered that the worst recession in our lifetime may have had something to do with that?

Also there's only so much of London &SE that is still OK to build on once you've excluded the Green Belt.
    My local town is still the same size as it was during the 80s when I was growing up despite huge population increase. It hasn't seen anything like the expansion and development that occurred in the 60s and 70s, probably due to nimbyism.

To be honest, most towns could expand onto the next row of farmers fields around their fringes and provide hundreds of new decent homes in so doing.
    Thousands. But no, houses should always be built 'someplace else', usually on brownfield sites, which are the housing equivalent of banker's bonuses or the international development budget - to opponents, it seems that you can fund everything just by taking away those few things, and can meet all demand just by building on brownfield.
    What always surprises me is the number of people who, despite all evidence, still support localism. It is clear that absolutely nothing good ever comes from localism, the tiny number of people who actual vote in local elections are almost wholly consumed with Nimbyism.
    Localism is a nice idea, in theory. However, and regrettably, there are plenty of situations where it turns out an overseeing strategic view that consults but is not driven by the views of the locals, can and usually is what is best for them and the wider nation. That probably makes me a snob, but I used to be a bit NIMBYish myself, and after seeing the endless arguments against development time and again, utilising the same arguments over and over - there's never been enough consultation no matter how much is done, there is always somewhere better that wasn't considered, or not considered enough - I'm not inclined to support development.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,156

John_M said:

https://twitter.com/montie/status/755413874975903744

Also new homes since the mid-90s are shite: cramped, tiny spaces with paper for walls and postage stamp amounts of land, yet just as expensive.
    True - but not as terrible as the ones built in the postwar housing boom from the sixties through to the mid seventies.

Those stats don't take historical context into account - we spent 10 years in the late 40s and 50s building next to nothing because we couldn't afford it, then, as the economy boomed, replaced a huge amount of housing stock that was lost to the War, and "slum" clearances (mostly with very low quality dwellings). The boom of the late nineties/noughties saw a continued decline in building, despite the economic conditions, and the post-2008 crash has seen an (entirely historically predictable) further decline. I don't really see how we get out of this spiral of decline.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Hardened coup plotters, no doubt. Best hope that Turkish opposition can put up more of a fight at the next election.

I do wonder if some of the parties would have come out in support of the coup if it had not so quickly proven a shambles.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,293

I would put it differently. Universal suffrage is the end stage in democratic development, but never the starting point. The rule of law and growth of civil society need to come first, and are more important.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    kle4 said:

Great things for the party finances, leadership contests.
    150,000 new Labour members at £45 each per year is a dramatic improvement in Labour finances.

Knowing you have a regular income makes a big difference to organisations.

Also less reliance on trade union funds.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

People don't want to live in the provinces though. There are ~90k people in all of Monmouthshire. Bags of room for new houses. Not that much demand. House price inflation is running at ~3%.

I do.
    Newport is ~ 2 hours from Paddington with a half-hourly service. It's not as inaccessible as people might think.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    ToryJim said:

Erdoğan’s purge of the undesirables is like a kinder, gentler Pol Pot regime. – So far at least.
  • Options

BBC Live Politics reporting - Watch: Ken Clarke and Tony Benn react to Trident vote

Surely that's worse than mixing up the Milibands!

That's brilliant.
  • Options
    vikvik Posts: 157
    edited July 2016
    They all tried to make a go of the Corbyn project but ended up resigning after Corbyn sacked Hilary Benn in the middle of the night.

Hilary was organising the plot to oust Corbyn. All party leaders would sack such an openly disloyal frontbencher.

I still believe Jeremy Corbyn is beatable.

He's beatable, but not by non-entities like Smith & Eagle.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Anyone know more about that shooting in Spalding, Lincolnshire?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36834293
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick 6m6 minutes ago
    Mood at today's Labour NEC suggests high command worried Michael Foster's legal case on Corbyn standing without 51 nominations might succeed

another TWIST
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,582
    Michael Crick now reporting some think the legal challenge to the NEC decision to allow Corbyn into the election unnominated might be in with a chance. Which would certainly add an additional twist to Richard_N's narrative....
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    kle4 said:

Lowlander said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

John_M said:

Has Monty considered that the worst recession in our lifetime may have had something to do with that?

Also there's only so much of London &SE that is still OK to build on once you've excluded the Green Belt.
    My local town is still the same size as it was during the 80s when I was growing up despite huge population increase. It hasn't seen anything like the expansion and development that occurred in the 60s and 70s, probably due to nimbyism.

To be honest, most towns could expand onto the next row of farmers fields around their fringes and provide hundreds of new decent homes in so doing.
    Thousands. But no, houses should always be built 'someplace else', usually on brownfield sites, which are the housing equivalent of banker's bonuses or the international development budget - to opponents, it seems that you can fund everything just by taking away those few things, and can meet all demand just by building on brownfield.
    What always surprises me is the number of people who, despite all evidence, still support localism. It is clear that absolutely nothing good ever comes from localism, the tiny number of people who actual vote in local elections are almost wholly consumed with Nimbyism.
    Localism is a nice idea, in theory. However, and regrettably, there are plenty of situations where it turns out an overseeing strategic view that consults but is not driven by the views of the locals, can and usually is what is best for them and the wider nation. That probably makes me a snob, but I used to be a bit NIMBYish myself, and after seeing the endless arguments against development time and again, utilising the same arguments over and over - there's never been enough consultation no matter how much is done, there is always somewhere better that wasn't considered, or not considered enough - I'm not inclined to support development.
    kle4. So you used to be a bit NIMBYish. Sounds like you are now a NIABY - Not in anyone's back yard.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,444
    PlatoSaid said:

Blue_rog said:

Who would have thought that when we had all the "Gord is great" and "Gord9000" comments that we'd have Corbyn as leader of the Labour party :grin:

Gord9000 - forgotten all about that! :smiley:
    Its all Brown's fault. Think about it:
    SEPTEMBER 2007. Brown's conference speech says "we need a new mandate"
    OCTOBER 2007: Labour wins a majority of 100
    OCTOBER 2008: Brown saves the world
    JUNE 2012: Brown wins a majority of 40

No Cameron project in the Tories
    No Ed Milliband and his bacon butty
    No EU referendum
    No Scottish Independence referendum(s)

Bastard bottler Brown. Blame him.
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

Mood at today's Labour NEC suggests high command worried Michael Foster's legal case on Corbyn standing without 51 nominations might succeed

another TWIST

What good does any of this do either side, honestly? For god's sake Corbyn, stand down and let McDonnell or Lewis or someone takeover, given all the crap they've spoken about not having a problem with the policies, for the most part, there's no way those two wouldn't get on the ballot as what excuse for not nominating them?
  • Options
    John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

I do.
    Newport is ~ 2 hours from Paddington with a half-hourly service. It's not as inaccessible as people might think.
    I think CR works in East London...
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    deleted. Bloody iPad.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,486
    DanSmith said:

another TWIST

More twists than a theme park roller coaster, and it's clear the wheels have parted company with the track!
  • Options
    stjohn said:

kle4 said:

Lowlander said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

John_M said:

kle4. So you used to be a bit NIMBYish. Sounds like you are now a NIABY - Not in anyone's back yard.
    On the contrary - I wrote 'not' when I meant 'now', a rather critical word among hundreds.

I'd support almost any development now.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,623
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

I do.
    Crossrail should be operational by 2018
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

I do.
    Eww :). OK, Wales isn't for everyone. Actually, judging by its GVA its not for anyone. Maybe I should move.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464
    John_M said:

ToryJim said:

John_M said:

Most people do live in the provinces and are a damn sight happier there than they would be in London or thereabouts.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

kle4 said:

Mr. kle4, elected, yes. Not 'freely'. Democracy requires more than just votes, it requires the absence of the state taking over or closing independent media, and the absence of arresting people with the temerity to disagree.

He won elections before he started doing that. And he'd probably win if he never had. The Turkish military seems to have a history of coups because the people keep electing the wrong people. Well, they did it again, and apparently will keep on doing it. Erdogan is therefore a problem, but not really the main one.
    I suspect Erdogan could be the main problem. Any attack on democracy must be resisted,but it's not clear who is initiating the coup against whom in this case.
    "Any attack on democracy must be resisted" What everywhere in every circumstances? I can think of one country I have lived in, which was and still is very much not a democracy, though there were mechanisms to give "the little people" a voice (probably better than in the UK), and yet the ruler was genuinely popular, the GDP/per head has consistently grown over 40 odd years and the wealth and welfare of the native peoples was the prime goal of government, after ensuring the safety of the state.

Singapore? I would question an assumption that a lack of democracy is the root cause of that city's success. I think Churchill called this roughly right when he said democracy was the worst form of government, apart from all the others.
    Mr. 43, The Old Boy was a very clever chap and one of the great if not greatest politician, this country has seen in 200 years or more. However he was not infallible.

Churchill also lived most of his life with a different system of democracy than we have now and had no experience of the rob Peter to pay Paul version of our welfare state.

Consequently when it comes to that famous quote I am not inclined to give it any credibility at all.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Test massage
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCNormanS: For Sec @BorisJohnson declines to apologise over Obama and Clinton comments. Remarks have been "misconstrued"
  • Options
    vik said:

They all tried to make a go of the Corbyn project but ended up resigning after Corbyn sacked Hilary Benn in the middle of the night.

Hilary was organising the plot to oust Corbyn. All party leaders would sack such an openly disloyal frontbencher.

I still believe Jeremy Corbyn is beatable.

He's beatable, but not by non-entities like Smith & Eagle.

Yes but the upcoming talent (such as it is) all want to be Tony Blair; none of them wants to be Neil Kinnock.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

I do.
    I think CR works on Crossrail... so at which point he'll be jobless...
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Ian Warren with some good news for the new leader. Of UKIP.
    https://twitter.com/election_data/status/755422459764105216
  • Options
    ReprobatusReprobatus Posts: 27
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Mr. Tonda, the EU may crumble into dust before it 'makes sense'* to join the single currency.

*I don't foresee any circumstances where it's sensible to give foreign powers the ability to set our interest rates. It's just mad.

The nation state is no more - other than as a description of a geographical area where a particular language is spoken.

They'll have to adjust my favourite map of an equal population split EU (though Carpathia has been questioned as how it meets the population requirement)

http://brilliantmaps.com/eu-28-equal/
    Fantastic map. Long live Anglo-Mercia! :-)
  • Options
    Can't say I approve of the first Cabinet meeting - almost everyone has taken their jackets off, it's a disgrace.
  • Options
    Actually, compared to the current fustercluck on the Labour front bench, farmy farm would be an improvement
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Blue_rog said:

Who would have thought that when we had all the "Gord is great" and "Gord9000" comments that we'd have Corbyn as leader of the Labour party :grin:

Gordo9000!

Dave Cameron: Hello, GORDO. Do you read me, GORDO?

GORDO: Affirmative, Dave. I read you.

Dave Cameron: Open the pod bay doors, GORDO.

GORDO: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Dave Cameron: What's the problem?

GORDO: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.

Dave Cameron: What are you talking about, GORDO?

GORDO: This election campaign is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

Dave Cameron: I don't know what you're talking about, GORDO.

GORDO: I know that you and Nick were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.

Dave Cameron: [feigning ignorance] Where the hell did you get that idea, GORDO?

GORDO: Dave, although you took very thorough precautions in the lobbies against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.

Dave Cameron: Alright, GORDO. I'll go in through the emergency legislation.

GORDO: Without your parliamentary majority, Dave? You're going to find that rather difficult.

Dave Cameron: GORDO, I won't argue with you anymore! Open the doors!

GORDO: Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Mr. Tonda, the EU may crumble into dust before it 'makes sense'* to join the single currency.

*I don't foresee any circumstances where it's sensible to give foreign powers the ability to set our interest rates. It's just mad.

The nation state is no more - other than as a description of a geographical area where a particular language is spoken.

They'll have to adjust my favourite map of an equal population split EU (though Carpathia has been questioned as how it meets the population requirement)

Fantastic map. Long live Anglo-Mercia! :-)
    As a a loyal citizen of New Saxony, you and yours will get a reckoning one day, you had better believe it! :)
  • Options

Not until article 50 is triggered it isn't.

No champagne for me until we're actually out.

Champagne? One of our top-quality Sussex sparkling wines, I hope!
    http://www.ridgeview.co.uk/

Buy it direct - don't let those thieving bastards at Waitrose or Berry Bros. get a look in
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    kle4 said:

stjohn said:

kle4 said:

Lowlander said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

John_M said:

On the contrary - I wrote 'not' when I meant 'now', a rather critical word among hundreds.

Ah! I thought it was an odd conclusion and position!
  • Options
    @SophyRidgeSky: US journalist accuses Boris Johnson of "outright lies" and asks how people can trust him. Ouch.
  • Options
    I bet a lot of people using the London Underground are wishing that Crossrail with its air conditioning was already open.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

kle4 said:

stjohn said:

kle4 said:

Lowlander said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

John_M said:

Ah! I thought it was an odd conclusion and position!
    Note for future posts, if I ever write anything that seems like it doesn't make sense, it was due to a typo like that, yes, that's it.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,814
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

I do.
    Nope, we'll sort of - but not quite. I work for a strategic change consultancy that is a programme partner for Crossrail. We specialise in big infrastructure projects.

We have plenty of work for the next 15 years: HS2, new runways, highways, GW electrification, power stations and confidential projects.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Can't say I approve of the first Cabinet meeting - almost everyone has taken their jackets off, it's a disgrace.

You may have noticed it is slightly warmer than it has been of late...

I had to rewire my fan having discovered that an earlier repair had been incompetently completed by the vendor
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,030
    Mr. Reprobatus, welcome to pb.com :)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I bet a lot of people using the London Underground are wishing that Crossrail with its air conditioning was already open.

Somebody earlier ranked the tube lines in order of temperature
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Wasn't he saying that last time?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Those Victorian and Edwardian tunnels really should have been built to main-line size diameter. One line did open in 1904 to main-line diameter, the Moorgate to Drayton Park line (part of British Rail, now operated by Great Northern, since 1976).
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    DanSmith said:

another TWIST

Didn't Michael Crick spend most of last Tuesday proclaiming how Corbyn was losing his fight to get on the ballot?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

I do.
    End of 2018. Fully operational end to end (Reading to Shenfield) by end 2019.
  • Options
    Gentle Canine Soul ‏@zound7 52s53 seconds ago

“Johnson jokes that apologising for all his past comments deemed offensive would take too long”
  • Options
    @BuzzFeedUKPol: Johnson on his past insults to world leaders: "It would take me too long to engage in a full global itinerary of apology to all concerned."
  • Options

Plenty of people cried wolf about Labour taking their Scottish constituencies for granted, until one day the wolf materialised.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

You may have noticed it is slightly warmer than it has been of late...
    The Cabinet Office doesn't have air conditioning?

In any case, still no excuse, have to look professional. They can take them off and pass out afterwards.

Usual rule would be you can take it off if the Chairman takes off their jacket.
  • Options

John_M said:

ToryJim said:

John_M said:

Most people do live in the provinces and are a damn sight happier there than they would be in London or thereabouts.
    London is a fucking shithole.

I live in the glorious English county of Hampshire.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

I do.
    Nope, we'll sort of - but not quite. I work for a strategic change consultancy that is a programme partner for Crossrail. We specialise in big infrastructure projects.

We have plenty of work for the next 15 years: HS2, new runways, highways, GW electrification, power stations and confidential projects.
    Good to see it! Really looking forward to Crossrail. On Sunday, I checked out the site of the new Woolwich station, as well as the rebuild of Abbey Wood to the east.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

Reasonable - though overly optimistic - look at the mechanics of a Labour split:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/what-would-happen-if-labour-splits-a7144666.html

Disclosure: this is all the fault of the author's godfather

Is this his fault too?
  • Options
    edited July 2016

AndyJS said:

Those Victorian and Edwardian tunnels really should have been built to main-line size diameter. One line did open in 1904 to main-line diameter, the Moorgate to Drayton Park line (part of British Rail, now operated by Great Northern, since 1976).
    Didn't know that, interesting. They could shut each tube line down one by one and upgrade the tunnels, although they'd probably have to get the Sultan of Brunei to sponsor it.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Blue_rog said:

Its all Brown's fault. Think about it:
    SEPTEMBER 2007. Brown's conference speech says "we need a new mandate"
    OCTOBER 2007: Labour wins a majority of 100
    Were any Labour MPs close to Brown predicting that at the time?
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 914
    edited July 2016
    DanSmith said:

another TWIST

What do Labours NEC know about anything? I wouldn't trust them to know if the sun is shining.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Eastern Scotland (aka "Northland") gets stuffed on the oil too! Magically, Devon and Cornwall get lumped with Shetland and Orkney. Be a big fight between Glasgow, Dublin and Cardiff as to who gets the capital city....
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

I do.

Good to see it! Really looking forward to Crossrail. On Sunday, I checked out the site of the new Woolwich station, as well as the rebuild of Abbey Wood to the east.
    We should be starting dynamic testing on that stretch by November next year.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

They could shut each tube line down one by one and upgrade the tunnels, although they'd probably have to get the Sultan of Brunei to sponsor it.
    True, unfortunately. That said, the Waterloo & City Line is shorter than several main-line tunnels across the country (under rivers and through mountains, not to mention the Channel Tunnel Link).
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Don't. I have to get on the jubalose line in 40 minutes.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

I do.
    End of 2018. Fully operational end to end (Reading to Shenfield) by end 2019.
    Excellent news!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Plenty of people cried wolf about Labour taking their Scottish constituencies for granted, until one day the wolf materialised.

True, but in this case I think it's a bit early to go looking for wolves, given that we don't really have too much idea how UKIP are going to change in the post-referendum, post-Farage era, with a new leader and presumably a new strategy.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,851
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Very eighth century for Scotland. Northumbria allied with PIctland against Dalraita and Strathclyde
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    John_M said:

ToryJim said:

John_M said:

Perhaps a truly federal Britain would be better placed to spread development around the country? Seems to me that federal countries like the US and Germany have a more equal distribution of big/important cities (NYC, LA, Miami, Chicago, Houston. Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Munich) - and therefore, a healthier population distribution - than unitary states like Britain and France, both massively and unhealthily dominated by their respective capitals.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@SophyRidgeSky: US journalist accuses Boris Johnson of "outright lies" and asks how people can trust him. Ouch.

That's rich coming from the land of Crooked Hillary :lol:
  • Options

John_M said:

ToryJim said:

John_M said:

Perhaps a truly federal Britain would be better placed to spread development around the country? Seems to me that federal countries like the US and Germany have a more equal distribution of big/important cities (NYC, LA, Miami, Chicago, Houston. Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Munich) - and therefore, a healthier population distribution - than unitary states like Britain and France, both massively and unhealthily dominated by their respective capitals.
    Bit late for us to address being dominated by our Primary city - it's fluctuated, of course, but it has dominated for something like 1000 years.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034

True, but in this case I think it's a bit early to go looking for wolves, given that we don't really have too much idea how UKIP are going to change in the post-referendum, post-Farage era, with a new leader and presumably a new strategy.
    Ukip's Steven Woolfe has launched his bid to succeed Nigel Farage as party leader by promising to "ruthlessly" go after Labour voters.

Mr Woolfe, whose grandfather was a black American, said Ukip has "won the argument" for managed immigration and promised to drive a new agenda of improving social mobility.

The former City lawyer said he would professionalise the party but insisted it would remain the self-styled "people's army" Mr Farage created.

The Manchester-born MEP for the North West said Ukip would chase "old Labour" voters in "left behind" de-industrialised communities.

Launching his bid for the leadership in central London, he said: "To old Labour voters let down by your party, I say Ukip will give you a voice. To the majority of Tory voters who voted Leave but have been lumbered with continuity Cameron under Theresa May, I say Ukip will welcome you.

"We must ruthlessly go after Labour seats in the North and the Midlands.

"And we must say to the 17.4 million people who voted Leave on June 23 - Ukip speaks for you. We are your new home."
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Some actual numbers...

@GuardianAnushka 5m:

Hearing that Owen Smith is 25 MPs ahead. But Eagle is 7 MEPs ahead... Total difference 18...
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

I do.

Couldn't enter Abbey Wood as there was a blockade on Southeastern east of Plumstead, so could only view from the road bridge, but it seemed to have three platforms/tracks, is that the final layout?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    kle4 said:

John_M said:

ToryJim said:

John_M said:

Bit late for us to address being dominated by our Primary city - it's fluctuated, of course, but it has dominated for something like 1000 years.
    Paris has a population of around 2 million. It's a village compared to London. A French village.
  • Options

Some actual numbers...

@GuardianAnushka 5m:

Hearing that Owen Smith is 25 MPs ahead. But Eagle is 7 MEPs ahead... Total difference 18...

They may as well head down to the river and play poohsticks for all the good it will do.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234

He was right, wasn't he? Unless Labour gained seats secretly.
  • Options
    Michael Crick Verified account ‏@MichaelLCrick 2m2 minutes ago

Angela Eagle and Owen Smith have now been given lists of MP nominators so far. I get feeling nobody will withdraw til tomorrow
  • Options

Reasonable - though overly optimistic - look at the mechanics of a Labour split:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/what-would-happen-if-labour-splits-a7144666.html

Disclosure: this is all the fault of the author's godfather

I'm surprised that it isn't an article about Labour's path to power
    Do you have any links to any articles about Labour doing better than expected in a snap general election?
    I've hidden one in this reply for you.
    :lol:

Blink and you'll miss it.
  • Options
    Why Boris wasn't trusted to be PM:

Tom Newton Dunn‏ @tnewtondunn
    Blimey. Boris junks immigration target. Rudd "entirely right in not committing to numbers because you don't want to disappoint people again"
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941

Some actual numbers...

@GuardianAnushka 5m:

Is it possible that neither will get onto the ballot at all?
  • Options
    John_M said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

ToryJim said:

John_M said:

Paris has a population of around 2 million. It's a village compared to London. A French village.
    The metropolitan area is 12m. The city boundaries are drawn quite tightly.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

Hardened coup plotters, no doubt. Best hope that Turkish opposition can put up more of a fight at the next election.

I do wonder if some of the parties would have come out in support of the coup if it had not so quickly proven a shambles.
    May should take a leaf out of their books......
    .......15,000 junior doctors suspended.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    DanSmith said:

another TWIST

a) The rules are clear that it is the challenger(s) who require nominations and

b) The judge could only rule that the NEC process to interpret the rule was wrong. The judge will not make the NEC's decision for it. The judge could only require a re-run of the NEC vote if the previous process was wrong.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

ToryJim said:

John_M said:

Yes, only the area within the peripherique is real Paris. It would be like saying London ends at zone 2. Come to think of it, that's what many people believe.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

ToryJim said:

John_M said:

I seem to recall moves to declare the metropolitan area part of the city proper too.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Didn't know that, interesting. They could shut each tube line down one by one and upgrade the tunnels, although they'd probably have to get the Sultan of Brunei to sponsor it.
    Why should not the people who will benefit from the upgrades fork out the cash. Bung up the ticket prices to either pay for the improvements direct or fund the interest payments/return of capital on bonds issued for the purpose.

I haven't travelled on the tube for more than a decade and cannot see why anyone would want to. Whenever I am in Town (granted not often in the last couple of years) it has been a cab, a walk, or a driver up from Sussex to start with. The underground is just so disgustingly filthy, overcrowded and just bloody awful.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Blimey. Boris junks immigration target. Rudd "entirely right in not committing to numbers because you don't want to disappoint people again"

Perhaps Boris's point is that the UK government right now doesn't have the power to commit itself until after Brexit.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited July 2016

Boo-fucking-hoo. No sympathy from me.

Even a majority of 150 would be less than the humiliation we had to endure in 1997 and 2001. 'things can only get better' when you're in the boss seat, but 'fucked' when the boot is on the other foot, is it? Don't dish it out if you can't take it.

We've been waiting quietly and patiently to get even for many years now. In our minds it's still about finally wiping the triumphalist smiles off the Blairites faces. I'd love to see a Tory majority of 200 and with the help of the insane Trot wing of the Labour party we might just come close to that.

Go Corbyn! Go Blinkered Partisanship! Go Hate!

'Humiliation'? Your party was in power for 18 years, and generally is in power most of the time. A decade or so of people not wanting Tory government after having 18 years of it was inevitable, you can't be in power all the time. A large part of the Tories 'humiliation' was self-inflicted. Did anyone in your party actually think that William Hague, IDS and Michael Howard were going to win GEs?

'We have been waiting patiently to get even for many years now' - bloody hell. Party activists/members of both the Conservative and Labour parties really are weird indeed. No wonder most of the population forgets about politics between GEs.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    John_M said:

John_M said:

It's a serial failure by successive governments. We can ignore Montie's bias against Cameron.
    To be fair though, Cameron did say that if we bombed Syria, he want to drop the full payload bar one bomb. That was to be dropped on Tim Montie on their way back to base.

PS May I suggest sticking your bare feet in a bowl of cold water - it's doing wonders for me. I've plonked a fan next to it and it's rather pleasant.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

ToryJim said:

John_M said:

Often the case in France. The BBC commentator in one of the early Euro 16 matches in Lens made the seemingly ridiculous statement that the crowd in the stadium was larger than that of the whole city of Lens. Clearly he had been on Wikipedia and noticed that the central administrative district of Lens is tightly defined around the town centre, with a modest population somewhat akin to City of London v Greater London. Whereas the metropolitan area of Lens is in reality one of the largest in France.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

ToryJim said:

John_M said:

London's official population in 2011 was 8,173,941
    Metropolitan area similar to Paris's = 12 to 14 million depending in definition.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

I do.

Couldn't enter Abbey Wood as there was a blockade on Southeastern east of Plumstead, so could only view from the road bridge, but it seemed to have three platforms/tracks, is that the final layout?
    Work on that stretch will continue until at least late Spring of next year. It is well advanced though. Systems and signalling will be main things to do now.
  • Options

Party activists/members of both the Conservative and Labour parties really are weird indeed.

Truer words rarely spoken.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

ToryJim said:

John_M said:

Yes, only the area within the peripherique is real Paris. It would be like saying London ends at zone 2. Come to think of it, that's what many people believe.
    I believe Mr Meeks has said the same thing.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Lowlander said:

Some actual numbers...

@GuardianAnushka 5m:

Is it possible that neither will get onto the ballot at all?
    Funniest thing will be if the Corbynistas vote to ensure a tie. Both on the ballot?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

It's a serial failure by successive governments. We can ignore Montie's bias against Cameron.
    To be fair though, Cameron did say that if we bombed Syria, he want to drop the full payload bar one bomb. That was to be dropped on Tim Montie on their way back to base.

PS May I suggest sticking your bare feet in a bowl of cold water - it's doing wonders for me. I've plonked a fan next to it and it's rather pleasant.
    I am writing this from my iPad while sitting in the dogs' paddling pool. Very civilised way of participating :).