Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn and McCluskey, comrades in arms

Comments

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    SeanT said:

Indeed. It's the mix that makes pb special. It's a gentleman's club full of largely interesting people (unlike most gentleman's clubs), a club founded on political principles, like the Reform, but not restricted to conversations thereto (how dull).

And it's not like we don't talk politics. Jeeez, we talk politics. Endlessly.

Enjoyed your heroin/ urine anecdote. PB gives me an insight into the rich and, err, "well-traveled" that I would never get in my real day to day life.

Also I met up with PBers one time and it was simultaneously strange and awesome
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Moses_ said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

saddened said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Why do some PB'ers think we want all this sports commentary? The title of the site is clear enough. Watching cricket is the only thing I can think of that is worse than watching tennis.

Breaking up the clutter of political minutiae with sports or other inanities not only helps keep the political debate refreshed by offering moments of break, it helps keep things civil by creating a broader community identity rather than just yelling about politics at one another. It's easier to be less enraged by some stubborn political idiot if you permit them to also bring up their favourite fantasy novels, sports interests, business happenings and what they think about Hannibal Barca.
    Fair point - if there's betting possibility involved - just a week ago I won enough for a nice bottle of wine with my dinner from backing a horse racing tip someone had kindly put up on here.

But comments that are neither POLITICAL nor BETTING surely belong somewhere else?
    It's been like this since day one. You need to set up an organization something along the lines of Betting Posts Matter, BPM, that way we can elevate posts of a betting nature into a different font colour to highlight the blatant discrimination against them.
    I'm going to create Good Posts Matter, to petition for the reinstatement of the like button. I think particularly liked comments did actually change colour!
    The most liked comment I ever had was on whether there was a difference between 'Larder' or 'Pantry', and which one posh people use (Larder, I believe). I've struggled in vain for approval and relevance ever since.
    In my day before fridges a larder was a cooled area for the storage of foodstuffs. According to my then butler Jeeves a pantry was a small preparation area, commonly with a sink and ability to boil a kettle etc ready for afternoon tea and cake delicacies to be taken on the terrace overlooking the croquet lawn.
    The LSWR used to have pantry cars. First class passengers pressed a bell push in their compartment to summon their afternoon comestibles.

Most civilized. Don't know what they did in Stagecoach days - Jack W might remember?
    When I was at sea we used to have similar served up from the pantry. These were always known as "tab nabs"

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/tabnab
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Pong said:

BigRich said:

Pong said:

BigRich said:

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

Nate Silver Verified account 
    @NateSilver538
    Gary Johnson up to 9.3% in our national poll average, his high point of the year so far.

Betting Question;

From here, do Gary Johnson's polling numbers go;

A) up
    B') down

??

The question is - who does he hurt more ?
    I think if Gary Johnson gets to 15% and therefor in to the debates, it wont matter who he takes most from because he could win it!

Yes I probably am living in my Libertarian dream world, but 6 mouths ago who thought he could get to 9.3% average? so please let me enjoy this moment.

P.S. I'm a betting novis, if I did want to place say £100 on him winning, what would be a good site to go to and haw much could I expect to win if he did become President?
    The best odds you'll get if you want to back him are on betfair - around 450/1 (0.2%)

The American-facing predictit is offering 25/1 (4%) to back, or 33/1 (3%) to lay.

Many thanks, at 450/1 I will do this!

But I don't quite understand how it could be 450/1 on one site and then 33/1 to lay on another site, what is stopping somebody backing on one site and laying on another, and then overall making money whatever the outcome? sorry if this is a stupid question.
    Not a stupid question at all!

Predictit only accepts US customers, Betfair explicitly rejects US customers.
    PredictIt is 100% insane, all of the time. I wouldn't trust it even if I had access. If something smells fishy, it probably is.

By comparison traditional bookmakers will give you 250/1 which makes sense.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587
    Moses_ said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Why do some PB'ers think we want all this sports commentary? The title of the site is clear enough. Watching cricket is the only thing I can think of that is worse than watching tennis.

Breaking up the clutter of political minutiae with sports or other inanities not only helps keep the political debate refreshed by offering moments of break, it helps keep things civil by creating a broader community identity rather than just yelling about politics at one another. It's easier to be less enraged by some stubborn political idiot if you permit them to also bring up their favourite fantasy novels, sports interests, business happenings and what they think about Hannibal Barca.
    Fair point - if there's betting possibility involved - just a week ago I won enough for a nice bottle of wine with my dinner from backing a horse racing tip someone had kindly put up on here.

But comments that are neither POLITICAL nor BETTING surely belong somewhere else?
    These suggestions to ban posts that are not related to politics and or betting crop up from time to time but OGH has never picked up on them and I hope he never does. I am just coming up to my ninth anniversary of reading this site and whilst it is true to say that the ratio of betting posts has fallen dramatically (used to get lots of good horse tips on here), there have always been posts on other topics.

PB is something like a friendly public bar with, often, three or four separate conversations going on at the same time and you can dip in and out of each as you wish. PB without its pedantry, trains, engineering, history (ancient and modern) and all the rest of stuff we talk about would be a very boring place.
    Meet the philosopher ducklings that engage in abstract thought:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2097527-meet-the-philosopher-ducklings-that-indulge-in-abstract-thought/

Moderators !!!!!' OFF TOPIC .... :smile:
    Dinosaurs did NOT roar, they cooed, say scientists:

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/07/12/dinosaurs-didnt-roar-they-cooed-say-scientists
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Tennis is a quick-fire sport, unlike boring Test Cricket, which is a game invented, played and watched by people with FAR too much time on their hands!

Test Cricket is almost as boring as Golf!

*dives for cover*
    Congratulations, Sunil, I have been on this site for several years waiting for you to say something sensible.
    His Tebbit chip is on the fritz again...
    Cricket is by far the most popular sport in the Subcontinent, whereas Football is the most popular sport in Blighty ;P
    Where "Blighty" = "the rest of the world" :p

When I was at school an Indian classmate taught us how to play kabbadi :)
    They used to show a lot of Indian/British Asian stuff on BBC2 and Channel 4 in the 80s and early 90s, from the classical music show Gharbar, to coverage of Kabbadi, to the epic Hindu mythology serial Mahabharat, but nothing like that on contemporary terrestrial TV.
    I remember kabbadi, kabbadi, kabbadi, kabbadi kaaaaaaa . Ch4 also used to show sumo as well.
    Was that the team bulldog type game?
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited July 2016

Charles said:

(Although I have indulged in a little luxury at home of having a room converted into a small library. My wife's idea, but I've decided to expropriate it)

We have one of those its called my study. Beware though; those shelves get full, then you put up more bookshelves in other rooms, even the downstairs loo, until eventually it is only the family bathroom that does not have books in it. However, still more books arrive and eventually Herself gets the hump. First it is a one in one out - for each new book you buy you have to get rid of one - but of course you circumvent this (smuggling in your latest prized acquisition). You cannot get away with that forever, of course, and then comes the big edict - get rid of books. Its awful, aside from my collection of first edition Flashman, just about my entire collection of fiction had to go. Some of those books were friends.

Having a small library is a great idea, but you have to be careful.
    I resorted to the attic at one stage. That ended after my son asked while I was standing on a crowded Corby station waiting for a train to Derby "Daddy, what are those books you keep going to the loft and looking at?

Cue the whole station staring at me.

My response, "that is where I keep my railway books" cue the whole station giving me even funnier looks.....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Tennis is a quick-fire sport, unlike boring Test Cricket, which is a game invented, played and watched by people with FAR too much time on their hands!

*dives for cover*
    Congratulations, Sunil, I have been on this site for several years waiting for you to say something sensible.
    Cricket is by far the most popular sport in the Subcontinent, whereas Football is the most popular sport in Blighty ;P

They used to show a lot of Indian/British Asian stuff on BBC2 and Channel 4 in the 80s and early 90s, from the classical music show Gharbar, to coverage of Kabbadi, to the epic Hindu mythology serial Mahabharat, but nothing like that on contemporary terrestrial TV.
    I remember kabbadi, kabbadi, kabbadi, kabbadi kaaaaaaa . Ch4 also used to show sumo as well.
    That's the one.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Mr Memory
    The youngest member of the government is DfID minister James Wharton (32) and the oldest is Lords Chief Whip Lord Taylor of Holbeach (72)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,552
    edited July 2016
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

saddened said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Breaking uasy novels, sports interests, business happenings and what they think about Hannibal Barca.
    F
    Itm.
    I'm going to think particularly liked comments did actually change colour!
    The most liked commen approval and relevance ever since.
    To obtain approvaleir leader'
    Except the Great British Public REJECTED crappy AV by referendum back in 2011, by a margin of 68% to 32%.

People rarely know what's good for them
    Alry.
    That's not always true though. Sometimes the voters will, in their despair, elect someone who promises pain - or blood, sweat and tears - in the hope of better things down the line.

Thatcher was the classic example.

You could also cite Euref. IIRC, polls showed many LEAVE voters were prepared to take a financial hit, in the short term, in return for the longer term benefits of sovereignty.
    So therefore the utility to them of sovereignty (pause: hysterical laughter) was greater to them than their personal wealth. They are still behaving rationally.

When people don't behave rationally is where it starts to get interesting. One of my favourite examples of behavioral psychology (OK, my only example of behavioral psychology) is the Ultimatum Game. Whereby it has been shown that if people judge that they are being treated unfairly, they will reject largesse. The classic game is if the proposer is given £100 and can offer a responder any amount. If the responder accepts, they both keep that amount, if the responder rejects the offer, they both get nothing. Typically, anything less than 20-30% the responder will reject, hence they both get nothing.

It has been posited that this is an element of why people voted Leave. London/the Metropolitan elite benefit from the EU most so even if there is a trickle down effect, it's not sufficient to be accepted by those who are marginalised. Hence they reject the whole thing.

All explained in a good programme here.

Of course, some on here don't like to hear such studies (the programme also found that Leavers are generally fearful of the future, look to an idealised past, and don't like change). But a good programme nevertheless.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

*dives for cover*

That's the one.
    With a lot more holding hands and slapping each other in the tits than the one we played at school.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:
    One thing that really struck me during my trip to the north west this weekend was how every single service person we saw (waiters, front desk at hotels, train ticket office clerks) day a local.

Well, there was one cabbie who was of subcontinental origin, but even he had a Manc accent that showed he was at least educated locally.

The contrast with London was marked.

And this is Britain's second city.
    THIS is depressing

https://twitter.com/OnlineMagazin/status/754370082327986176

How did we reach a state where this is tolerated on British streets? It is repulsive. I want it gone, now. I am beyond the cares of political correctness. This bullshit has to end.
    I fear that the poster would also ban the red sari the lady in the foreground is wearing.

I also notice that most of them are pale and quite well built. I smell fakirs.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Moses_ said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

These suggestions to ban posts that are not related to politics and or betting crop up from time to time but OGH has never picked up on them and I hope he never does. I am just coming up to my ninth anniversary of reading this site and whilst it is true to say that the ratio of betting posts has fallen dramatically (used to get lots of good horse tips on here), there have always been posts on other topics.

PB is something like a friendly public bar with, often, three or four separate conversations going on at the same time and you can dip in and out of each as you wish. PB without its pedantry, trains, engineering, history (ancient and modern) and all the rest of stuff we talk about would be a very boring place.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2097527-meet-the-philosopher-ducklings-that-indulge-in-abstract-thought/

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/07/12/dinosaurs-didnt-roar-they-cooed-say-scientists
    Ha!
    I blame Hollywood.

It is also a truism that the largest dinosaur was actually a vegetarian and wouldn't eat people. Given that Dino's had long gone by the time Fred Flintstone turned up I guess that would never have been really put to the test but still.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    IanB2 said:

Moses_ said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

I enjoyed the reference to cummingtonite in the last thread header but it could have done with a reference to C₄H₄AsH.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739
    55% chance of Non-Brexit Brexit
    An American describes Brexit and speculates on the possible futures.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3_I2rfApYk
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    CBS/YouGov polls

IOWA
    Trump 40%
    Clinton 39%

OHIO
    Clinton 44%
    Trump 40%

MICHIGAN
    Clinton 42%
    Trump 39% https://t.co/fC7t8bv913
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234

IanB2 said:

Moses_ said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

I enjoyed the reference to cummingtonite in the last thread header but it could have done with a reference to C₄H₄AsH.
    TOP 5 RUDE MINERALS

5. Arsenolite

4. Dickite

3. Fornacite

2. Fukalite

1. Cummingtonite

• Options

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

*dives for cover*

That's the one.
    With a lot more holding hands and slapping each other in the tits than the one we played at school.
    Certainly had a homo-erotic element to a glorified game of tag.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

saddened said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Breaking uasy novels, sports interests, business happenings and what they think about Hannibal Barca.
    F
    Itm.
    Except the Great British Public REJECTED crappy AV by referendum back in 2011, by a margin of 68% to 32%.

Alry.
    That's not always true though. Sometimes the voters will, in their despair, elect someone who promises pain - or blood, sweat and tears - in the hope of better things down the line.

You could also cite Euref. IIRC, polls showed many LEAVE voters were prepared to take a financial hit, in the short term, in return for the longer term benefits of sovereignty.
    So therefore the utility to them of sovereignty (pause: hysterical laughter) was greater to them than their personal wealth. They are still behaving rationally.

It has been posited that this is an element of why people voted Leave. London/the Metropolitan elite benefit from the EU most so even if there is a trickle down effect, it's not sufficient to be accepted by those who are marginalised. Hence they reject the whole thing.

Of course, some on here don't like to hear such studies (the programme also found that Leavers are generally fearful of the future, look to an idealised past, and don't like change). But a good programme nevertheless.
    All true.

I still believe LEAVE was the right decision, and we won't regret it, and we will grow faster over 20 years than if we had stayed. Even if we don't, we have given the people the sense they can control their lives and their country, with a vote. That sense was fast disappearing.
    What happened to the biggest mistake the UK has made since whenever?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

*dives for cover*

That's the one.
    Ain't nothing wrong with that :D
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,258
    Pulpstar said:

In betting terms, a test match can often feel quite similiar to politics, except the timescale is 5 days rather than months or years.

I have no idea how people make money betting on golf - so many potential winners...

I wrote a golf market making bot on Betfair about eight years ago that made me quite a bit of money (a few hundred quid in a weekend) during major tournaments. I should dig it out and refresh it.*

* It used to (a decade or more ago) be really easy to write winning Betfair bots. Sadly, the world has changed, and it's now quite hard.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    edited July 2016

55% chance of Non-Brexit Brexit
    An American describes Brexit and speculates on the possible futures.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3_I2rfApYk

I'm probably the only one, but I find his voice really grating. Ugh...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

saddened said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

and what they think about Hannibal Barca.
    F
    Itm.

Alry.

All true.

I still believe LEAVE was the right decision, and we won't regret it, and we will grow faster over 20 years than if we had stayed. Even if we don't, we have given the people the sense they can control their lives and their country, with a vote. That sense was fast disappearing.
    There seems to be a sense of excitement among our leaders now as it sinks in that they have real power again and there is a whole world to trade with - and that world is very keen to trade. Its like we're going home.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,720

IanB2 said:

Moses_ said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Arsole is far too vulgar, I prefer cummingtonite because of the subtle innuendo.

As you all know, I'm the master of subtlety
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

*dives for cover*

That's the one.
    Ain't nothing wrong with that :D
    Well everybody seemed to have a smashing time so all good with me.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Pong said:

BigRich said:

Pong said:

BigRich said:

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

@NateSilver538
    Gary Johnson up to 9.3% in our national poll average, his high point of the year so far.

Betting Question;

A) up
    B') down

??

I think if Gary Johnson gets to 15% and therefor in to the debates, it wont matter who he takes most from because he could win it!

Yes I probably am living in my Libertarian dream world, but 6 mouths ago who thought he could get to 9.3% average? so please let me enjoy this moment.

P.S. I'm a betting novis, if I did want to place say £100 on him winning, what would be a good site to go to and haw much could I expect to win if he did become President?
    The best odds you'll get if you want to back him are on betfair - around 450/1 (0.2%)

The American-facing predictit is offering 25/1 (4%) to back, or 33/1 (3%) to lay.

But I don't quite understand how it could be 450/1 on one site and then 33/1 to lay on another site, what is stopping somebody backing on one site and laying on another, and then overall making money whatever the outcome? sorry if this is a stupid question.

PredictIt is 100% insane, all of the time. I wouldn't trust it even if I had access. If something smells fishy, it probably is.

Could I ask a vaguely related question, are there any reasonably trustworthy bookmakers who will quote odds on Clinton's and Trump's chances in the individual US states?

Oddchecker does not appear to list any, only odds on individual candidates in the whole country.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Charles said:

(Although I have indulged in a little luxury at home of having a room converted into a small library. My wife's idea, but I've decided to expropriate it)

We have one of those its called my study. Beware though; those shelves get full, then you put up more bookshelves in other rooms, even the downstairs loo, until eventually it is only the family bathroom that does not have books in it. However, still more books arrive and eventually Herself gets the hump. First it is a one in one out - for each new book you buy you have to get rid of one - but of course you circumvent this (smuggling in your latest prized acquisition). You cannot get away with that forever, of course, and then comes the big edict - get rid of books. Its awful, aside from my collection of first edition Flashman, just about my entire collection of fiction had to go. Some of those books were friends.

I resorted to the attic at one stage. That ended after my son asked while I was standing on a crowded Corby station waiting for a train to Derby "Daddy, what are those books you keep going to the loft and looking at?

Cue the whole station staring at me.

My response, "that is where I keep my railway books" cue the whole station giving me even funnier looks.....
    :D
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:
    One thing that really struck me during my trip to the north west this weekend was how every single service person we saw (waiters, front desk at hotels, train ticket office clerks) day a local.

Well, there was one cabbie who was of subcontinental origin, but even he had a Manc accent that showed he was at least educated locally.

THIS is depressing

How did we reach a state where this is tolerated on British streets? It is repulsive. I want it gone, now. I am beyond the cares of political correctness. This bullshit has to end.
    I fear that the poster would also ban the red sari the lady in the foreground is wearing.

Is THIS fake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUQ0nNN95gM
    Cultures that practice contraception and abortion get overrun by cultures that dont.

FFS they are innocent kids - lets not film them and use the film to make points?

Anyway they are not wearing Burkas. By the standards of some convents that dress is quite liberal.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

saddened said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

F
    Itm.

Alry.
    That's not always trcial hit, in the short term, in return for the longer term benefits of sovereignty.

All true.

I hope we do grow faster although of course we shall never know.

I also hope that telling people they can control their lives and their country when the reality is likely to be they have no greater control than they ever have, does not have difficult consequences.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
  • Options
    hoveitehoveite Posts: 43
    Pong said:

BigRich said:

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

@NateSilver538

Betting Question;

A) up
    B') down

??

If you place £100 back bet on betfair, you'll win £45,000, -5% commission.

Disclaimer - I have previously been laying @ these odds, so don't take this as a betting tip!
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

@NateSilver538

Betting Question;

A) up
    B') down

??

Is that the right question to be asking
    Pong said:

@NateSilver538

Betting Question;

A) up
    B') down

??

I think his price could run ahead of his fundamentals.

Libertarians tend to be rich, tend to be pro-gambling and tend to be true believers. At slong odds It might not take too many high rolling libertarians deciding to get behind their man to move the price.

The price you quote from predictit shows that this is probably already happening.

I backed him at longer odds than are currently available based partly on this line of thinking.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Et voila

Sarkozy wins the election?

@NicolasSarkozy 25m25 minutes ago View translation
    Je souhaite que les préfets soient autorisés à fermer immédiatement tout lieu de culte ayant un lien avec le salafisme #NS20H

He is proposing to close all Salafist places right?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited July 2016

Charles said:

I've got the advantage of another (slightly larger) building where I can store books I'm not allowed to keep at home :)
  • Options
    hoveitehoveite Posts: 43
    Is there a way to delete my previous post? Sorry for messing up the quoting so much.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

saddened said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

F
    Itm.
    er'

Alry.

All true.

There seems to be a sense of excitement among our leaders now as it sinks in that they have real power again and there is a whole world to trade with - and that world is very keen to trade. Its like we're going home.
    Funny, but down the supermarket today there were shelves of Australian and New Zealand wine, just as always. Perhaps we are trading with them already? The U.K. is obviously fearful of isolation and suddenly keen for lots of trade agreements across the world. Does it not occur to anyone that they might be thinking we are sufficiently desperate right now to offer favourable terms, given that just having an agreement is worth real political capital to our Brexit government?
  • Options
    Pong said:

@NateSilver538

Betting Question;

A) up
    B') down

??

Just think where the libertarians would be if they'd picked a more mainstream candidate like John McAfee.
  • Options
    hoveite said:

Is there a way to delete my previous post? Sorry for messing up the quoting so much.

It's a PB rite of passage. You'll do worse in time.

Welcome (-ish you have a few posts under your belt).
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

SeanT said:

Et voila

Je souhaite que les préfets soient autorisés à fermer immédiatement tout lieu de culte ayant un lien avec le salafisme #NS20H

He would give that ability to regional mayors
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

saddened said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

It's been like this since day one. You need to set up an organization something along the lines of Betting Posts Matter, BPM, that way we can elevate posts of a betting nature into a different font colour to highlight the blatant discrimination against them.
    I'm going to create Good Posts Matter, to petition for the reinstatement of the like button. I think particularly liked comments did actually change colour!
    The most liked comment I ever had was on whether there was a difference between 'Larder' or 'Pantry', and which one posh people use (Larder, I believe). I've struggled in vain for approval and relevance ever since.
    LOL. Particularly relevant for the Betting Posts Matter campaign.
    Really posh people have both... a larder is a small room off the kitchen for storage of food that will be eaten in the near future / is partially eaten.

The pantry is for the medium term storage of dry goods, and is usually separate from the kitchen, next to the humidor, laundry, meat store and gun room.
    The hotel I stayed at in Lugano, last week, had a "Himalayan Salt Mood Room".

An entire room walled with pink glowing bricks of Tibetan salt, for relaxation.

Can anyone beat that?
    My house has a Tibetan Salt Mood Room and a Bhutan Salt Mood Room.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Charles said:

Charles said:

I've got the advantage of another (slightly larger) building where I can store books I'm not allowed to keep at home :)
    I have lots of books at home, too. But, be honest, twenty years ago we might go to the bookshelf to look something up. Nowadays it's just Google or Yahoo, right? Or Wikipedia (if the answer isn't there, we can just make something up and type it in).
  • Options
    John_M said:

SeanT said:
    How does one calculate 'migration fear'? I suspect epic amounts of Powerpoint bullshittery.
    I believe they ask Plato every month how she feels about immigration.
  • Options

Charles said:

I used to just cull my books once in a while. I had some very nice OUP editions of Christopher Fry's plays that I sold to the local 2nd book shop. I've regretted doing that every since!

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I have lots of books at home, too. But, be honest, twenty years ago we might go to the bookshelf to look something up. Nowadays it's just Google or Yahoo, right? Or Wikipedia (if the answer isn't there, we can just make something up and type it in).
    Depends on the depth and accuracy I want from my research. Google or Wikki is OK for some things but if I want accurate detail then its off to the books or the original documents. Making shit up and typing it in is not something that I do.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

SeanT said:

Et voila

I thought Mr Sarkozy was going to be prosecuted for skullduggery in office. What happened to that?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Pong said:

BigRich said:

Pong said:

BigRich said:

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

@NateSilver538

Betting Question;

A) up
    B') down

??

Many thanks for you help, I now understand the difference, and have placed my first ever Political bet, no my first real bet of any type!

So form now on, when people accuse me of being mad to belief Gary Johnson has a chance I will be able to say I am putting my money where my mouth is!
  • Options
    Not sure if this has been posted

Trump and Pence to appear on 60 Minutes
    Donald Trump and his running mate Mike Pence will appear on 60 Minutes in their first joint interview this Sunday

"@60Minutes: DonaldTrump and his running mate @Mike_Pence to appear on #60Minutes in first joint interview. CBS cbsn.ws/29QEyKD"
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    BigRich said:

Pong said:

BigRich said:

Pong said:

BigRich said:

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

@NateSilver538

Betting Question;

A) up
    B') down

??

Many thanks for you help, I now understand the difference, and have placed my first ever Political bet, no my first real bet of any type!

So form now on, when people accuse me of being mad to belief Gary Johnson has a chance I will be able to say I am putting my money where my mouth is!
    another big advantage if you've done it on betfair is that you don't necessarily have to wait for it to win to make money from your bet. if the odds move in your favour you can lay some or all of it back at shorter odds to lock in a profit.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

saddened said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

LOL. Particularly relevant for the Betting Posts Matter campaign.
    Really posh people have both... a larder is a small room off the kitchen for storage of food that will be eaten in the near future / is partially eaten.

The pantry is for the medium term storage of dry goods, and is usually separate from the kitchen, next to the humidor, laundry, meat store and gun room.
    The hotel I stayed at in Lugano, last week, had a "Himalayan Salt Mood Room".

An entire room walled with pink glowing bricks of Tibetan salt, for relaxation.

Can anyone beat that?
    My house has a Tibetan Salt Mood Room and a Bhutan Salt Mood Room.
    I've got a salt cellar, does that count.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,241
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

There are two problems with that:
    1) For some rather obscure technical subjects, the Internet is not well stocked with information. I wanted some in-depth information on the early history of the Cromford and High Peak Railway, and the only place to get that is an obscure tome published a decade or so ago.
    2) Googling one thing can frequently end up with two hours lost in other topics, ranging from the lifecycle of hens to synopses of the episodes of 'I love Lucy'.

I've slowly been getting rid of my paperback novels and replacing them on Kindle: one annoyance are things like some Tom Clancy books being unavailable. Grrrr.

However, sometimes a good textbook is simply the best. Saying that, I recently gave away my copy of Soustroup C++. I couldn't part with 'Code Complete' though; perhaps the best book ever written about software development. And it's by Microsoft. Ahem. :)
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,832
    McClusky is an irrelevance. If Labour wish to make him important then more fool them.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,399
    Moses_ said:

Donald Trump and his running mate Mike Pence will appear on 60 Minutes in their first joint interview this Sunday

"@60Minutes: DonaldTrump and his running mate @Mike_Pence to appear on #60Minutes in first joint interview. CBS cbsn.ws/29QEyKD"

My amazing powers of deduction tell me that Trump and Pence are to appear on 60 Minutes.
  • Options
    BigIanBigIan Posts: 198
    IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

saddened said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

F
    Itm.
    er'

Alry.

All true.

Funny, but down the supermarket today there were shelves of Australian and New Zealand wine, just as always.
    Funny you should say that. I happen to have a glass of some in my hand as we speak. :)
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

1) For some rather obscure technical subjects, the Internet is not well stocked with information. I wanted some in-depth information on the early history of the Cromford and High Peak Railway, and the only place to get that is an obscure tome published a decade or so ago.
    2) Googling one thing can frequently end up with two hours lost in other topics, ranging from the lifecycle of hens to synopses of the episodes of 'I love Lucy'.

I've slowly been getting rid of my paperback novels and replacing them on Kindle: one annoyance are things like some Tom Clancy books being unavailable. Grrrr.

However, sometimes a good textbook is simply the best. Saying that, I recently gave away my copy of Soustroup C++. I couldn't part with 'Code Complete' though; perhaps the best book ever written about software development. And it's by Microsoft. Ahem. :)
    http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Cromford_and_High_Peak_Railway

http://www.pittdixon.go-plus.net/c+hpr/c+hpr.htm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromford_and_High_Peak_Railway
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Moses_ said:

My amazing powers of deduction tell me that Trump and Pence are to appear on 60 Minutes.
    Not their first joint interview though - they were on Fox News on Friday.
  • Options

I used to just cull my books once in a while. I had some very nice OUP editions of Christopher Fry's plays that I sold to the local 2nd book shop. I've regretted doing that every since!

I am not surprised, Mr. Dave. I am horrified by the casual way you say you used to cull your books as if they were deer that were over-breeding in the local wood. When I cleared my fiction shelves it was a wrench to get rid of any of them - even the Tom Clancy novels.

The only fiction I have left now is the Flashman series, a few funnies on the shelves in the downstairs loo (Pratchett mostly) plus some treasures including one by a certain Thaddeus White. On a happy note my shelves are now full again and herself yesterday presented me with another book about the situation in 1940 (my current period of interest).
  • Options
    BigIan said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

saddened said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

F
    Itm.
    er'

Alry.

All true.

Funny, but down the supermarket today there were shelves of Australian and New Zealand wine, just as always.
    Funny you should say that. I happen to have a glass of some in my hand as we speak. :)
    So the question is - how does any agreement change anything and help us? Or help them? Or both? Or neither?
  • Options

I am not surprised, Mr. Dave. I am horrified by the casual way you say you used to cull your books as if they were deer that were over-breeding in the local wood. When I cleared my fiction shelves it was a wrench to get rid of any of them - even the Tom Clancy novels.

The only fiction I have left now is the Flashman series, a few funnies on the shelves in the downstairs loo (Pratchett mostly) plus some treasures including one by a certain Thaddeus White. On a happy note my shelves are now full again and herself yesterday presented me with another book about the situation in 1940 (my current period of interest).
    Given that Mr Fraser's best novel is The Candlemass Road, I fear you've made a mistake there too.
  • Options

Freggles said:

SeanT said:

Et voila

I thought Mr Sarkozy was going to be prosecuted for skullduggery in office. What happened to that?
    Mr Sarkozy is running 65:35 behind Alain Juppe in the second round polls for the Les Republicains primary, so he's highly unlikely to even be in the Presidential election come next April.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

The last thing I googled was during the Nice attack - a commentator on Sky (whose name mercifully escapes me at this point) - managed to say two stupid things in quick succession: translating 'Promenade des Anglais' as 'Promenade of Angels', and querying the truck drivers motivation asked if anybody could imagine what drove him to it.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Re Tom Clancy, change your Kindle settings to US, buy the Tom Clancy novels, and then change it back to the UK.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

BigIan said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

saddened said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

F
    Itm.
    er'

Alry.

All true.

So the question is - how does any agreement change anything and help us? Or help them? Or both? Or neither?
    We should see cheaper US, Australian and New Zealand wine as a result of Brexit. (Sell Chapel Down?)
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

Pong said:

BigRich said:

Pong said:

BigRich said:

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

@NateSilver538

Betting Question;

A) up
    B') down

??

Could I ask a vaguely related question, are there any reasonably trustworthy bookmakers who will quote odds on Clinton's and Trump's chances in the individual US states?

Oddchecker does not appear to list any, only odds on individual candidates in the whole country.
    I didn't bet on the last US election. more markets might come out after the conventions. one of more experienced political bettors on here might recall what was available last time around.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

We could be looking at outright pogroms in Turkey. Erdogan has unleashed an Islamist whirlwind

twitter.com/pepperman4ever/status/754755469739171840

I think France would be a candidate for pogroms too. They've a long history of political violence.

• Options
    SeanT said:

We could be looking at outright pogroms in Turkey. Erdogan has unleashed an Islamist whirlwind

https://twitter.com/pepperman4ever/status/754755469739171840

Good news for the Greek, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese tourist industries.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Re Tom Clancy, change your Kindle settings to US, buy the Tom Clancy novels, and then change it back to the UK.
    Or borrow the Kindle versions from your local library....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

BigIan said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

saddened said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

F
    Itm.
    er'

Alry.

All true.

We should see cheaper US, Australian and New Zealand wine as a result of Brexit. (Sell Chapel Down?)
    How so? So far it's just heading for 10% more expensive
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Thanks! I'll try just that.
  • Options
    BigIanBigIan Posts: 198
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

BigIan said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

saddened said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

F
    Itm.
    er'

Alry.

All true.

Hopefully! All to play for I guess.

OTOH, probably dearer European wines?

The reduced value of the pound might make a bigger difference though.
  • Options
    Video: Hacking group Anonymous has vowed to track down members of the group behind the attack in Nice, with a spokesman saying "expect total mobilisation".

http://news.sky.com/video/anonymous-targets-truck-terrorists-10503366
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    Did anyone follow the cricket betting over the test match? Pakistan were an incredibly generous 6/4 to win the match after Friday's play. Missed a killing I reckon.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    BigRich said:

Pong said:

BigRich said:

Pong said:

BigRich said:

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

@NateSilver538

Betting Question;

A) up
    B') down

??

BigRich. You highlighted Gary Johnson's POTUS prospects about a month ago. I had never heard of him or the Libertarian Party at the time. After a bit of googling I backed him on Betfair at 1000.

Good luck to us both!
  • Options

Given that Mr Fraser's best novel is The Candlemass Road, I fear you've made a mistake there too.
    To be honest I didn't enjoy that. I, alas, let the Pyrates go (wasn't first edition, even though it was very funny), but I did keep the Steel Bonnets and Quartered Safe Out Here on the grounds that they were non-fiction. The latter book is the best thing I have ever read about small unit infantry life and warfare and is as relevant today as it was when the events it talks about were happening.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Omnium said:

McClusky is an irrelevance. If Labour wish to make him important then more fool them.

The guy that pays the bills is always important
  • Options

To be honest I didn't enjoy that. I, alas, let the Pyrates go (wasn't first edition, even though it was very funny), but I did keep the Steel Bonnets and Quartered Safe Out Here on the grounds that they were non-fiction. The latter book is the best thing I have ever read about small unit infantry life and warfare and is as relevant today as it was when the events it talks about were happening.
    I had an unusual copy of The Pyrates. It was a hardback, with both The Pyrates and Black Ajax.

---

Do you write fiction? If so, do you have a words per day target?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Et voila

So my schoolboy French tells me. Could be wrong.
    It's roughly what google translate says too: "I hope that the prefects are authorized to immediately close any place of worship Related Salafism"

But it won't win Sarkozy the election. It won't even win him the nomination unless Juppe does or says something stupid, which isn't his style.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

You are the Tarot card man on Brighton Pier and I claim my free stick of peppermint rock.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

THIS is depressing

Is THIS fake?

Cultures that practice contraception and abortion get overrun by cultures that dont.

FFS they are innocent kids - lets not film them and use the film to make points?

Anyway they are not wearing Burkas. By the standards of some convents that dress is quite liberal.
    You won't see what is staring you in the face. You actually claimed the previous video was "faked by fat white men". You are simultaneously delusional, and in denial. You are a moron.
    What is moronic is videoing people going about their business on the street and then publishing it and monstering them.

Much as I dont care for face shrouding, at least the Burkas mean that they cant be identified and given further stick.

I'm just waiting for reports of nuns in old fashioned habits get attacked.

Maybe it is because I am catholic that my initial reaction to a woman in full length dress and a headscarf is respect for their sense of modesty amongst the sick decadence and hedonism all around them.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Et voila

It's roughly what google translate says too: "I hope that the prefects are authorized to immediately close any place of worship Related Salafism"

But it won't win Sarkozy the election. It won't even win him the nomination unless Juppe does or says something stupid, which isn't his style.
    Marine Le Pen must look ever more likely. Every terrorist attack pushes voters to the strongest response, and that's always going to be Le Pen.
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    Tim_B said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

The last thing I googled was during the Nice attack - a commentator on Sky (whose name mercifully escapes me at this point) - managed to say two stupid things in quick succession: translating 'Promenade des Anglais' as 'Promenade of Angels', and querying the truck drivers motivation asked if anybody could imagine what drove him to it.
    NIce is also called The Bay of Angels, so they appeared to conflate the two terms.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222
    Jason said:

Did anyone follow the cricket betting over the test match? Pakistan were an incredibly generous 6/4 to win the match after Friday's play. Missed a killing I reckon.

Probably reflects a suspicion about the team I am afraid.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,814
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

THIS is depressing

Is THIS fake?

Truly disturbing.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:
    :)

Ah, but that's not detailed enough. For instance the book tells me that the line between Minninglow and Friden (which some illustrious readers might have walked or ridden along) was constructed by Porteus & Co. , whilst the Middleton Incline was built by Higgots & Hollins.

Also where engines and rails were obtained from, how many cubic yards of earth were removed from cuttings, etc, etc.

And many other facts that are useful to no-one except people planning a novel based on the building of the line. ;)
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,081

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

THIS is depressing

Is THIS fake?

You won't see what is staring you in the face. You actually claimed the previous video was "faked by fat white men". You are simultaneously delusional, and in denial. You are a moron.
    What is moronic is videoing people going about their business on the street and then publishing it and monstering them.

Much as I dont care for face shrouding, at least the Burkas mean that they cant be identified and given further stick.

Maybe it is because I am catholic that my initial reaction to a woman in full length dress and a headscarf is respect for their sense of modesty amongst the sick decadence and hedonism all around them.
    Attitudes to Catholics 50-400 years ago -> Afro-Caribbean immigrants 25-50 years ago -> Muslims today -> ???
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Twenty thousand Roman Catholic children parading around Manchester is this also disturbing Sean?

https://youtu.be/uVhMIWAWEVQ
  • Options
    Thrak said:

Tim_B said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Beware though; those shelves get full, then you put up more bookshelves in other rooms, even the downstairs loo, until eventually it is only the family bathroom that does not have books in it. However, still more books arrive and eventually Herself gets the hump. First it is a one in one out - for each new book you buy you have to get rid of one - but of course you circumvent this (smuggling in your latest prized acquisition). You cannot get away with that forever, of course, and then comes the big edict - get rid of books. Its awful, aside from my collection of first edition Flashman, just about my entire collection of fiction had to go. Some of those books were friends.

NIce is also called The Bay of Angels, so they appeared to conflate the two terms.
    Anglais means English: we might be angels, but it doesn't translate that way. The French for angels is anges. It's not even close. Just dumb.
  • Options

I had an unusual copy of The Pyrates. It was a hardback, with both The Pyrates and Black Ajax.

---

Do you write fiction? If so, do you have a words per day target?
    Mr. Dave, alas I don't have the imagination necessary for writing fiction, I wish I did. I have tried a couple of times but even basing the story on a real event was beyond me. One of my great mates is a successful scriptwriter and we have tried collaborating a couple of times, but without any real success - though I did get a couple of lines into the first Mr. Bean movie.

I admire very much young Morris Dancer, gent of this parish, because he can write books that engage me and make me laugh. I beat him up, of course, because his books are too short and he doesn't charge enough for them but he has a talent that I envy.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,081
    SeanT said:

EPG said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

THIS is depressing

Is THIS fake?

Attitudes to Catholics 50-400 years ago -> Afro-Caribbean immigrants 25-50 years ago -> Muslims today -> ???
    "Attitudes to Catholics 400 years ago" is an intriguing comparison, given that Catholics 400 years ago actively wanted to conquer England, destroy her independence, and impose their alien faith, with great and brutal violence.
    an alien faith that had been in the country for almost a thousand years before that
    my god
  • Options
    SeanT said:

EPG said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

THIS is depressing

Is THIS fake?

"Attitudes to Catholics 400 years ago" is an intriguing comparison, given that Catholics 400 years ago actively wanted to conquer England, destroy her independence, and impose their alien faith, with great and brutal violence.
    Restore the faith illegally changed by the Arch Traitor Henry V111
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Et voila

Marine Le Pen must look ever more likely. Every terrorist attack pushes voters to the strongest response, and that's always going to be Le Pen.
    But what is the mood in France? It's hard to believe there isn't seething anger under the surface.

If Britain had experienced Charlie Hebdo, then Bataclan, then Nice, in 18 months (plus innumerable smaller Islamist terror attacks throughout) then we'd be close to a very polite and British insurrection.

I find it hard to believe the French, who will riot over the price of chickens, are just gonna sit back and take this: their children being bowled over like skittles, and crushed to death.
    There were muslim children killed in the Nice attack too, so that may be blunting a pogrom type response there.

But the series of attacks the french are having must surely have a pressure cooker effect. If the french islamists start copying the palestinian's tactic of individual attacks I'd expect something drastic to happen.
  • Options
    Is there a special badge you get for being insulted here by Sean, or do I have to commission a special T shirt?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

1940 is one of my favourite years, particularly on the domestic front - l'm currently ploughing through a tome containing all the Ministry of Information reports of morale around the country from May to August. And I need to have a third reading of John Luckas's Five Days in London. What's the book your good lady has presented?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Et voila

I have a piece on the French presidential written for when Mike can find time among everything else!

To cut a long story short, her odds are far too short at the moment. She'll lose to everyone except Hollande (more black swans permitting), and Hollande is unlikely to make the second round.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Et voila

She loses 70:30 to Juppe in round two on all polls. Even if this boosts her 5%, she'll still lose 2:1.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,623
    Tim_B said:

Thrak said:

Tim_B said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Beware though; those shelves get full, then you put up more bookshelves in other rooms, even the downstairs loo, until eventually it is only the family bathroom that does not have books in it. However, still more books arrive and eventually Herself gets the hump. First it is a one in one out - for each new book you buy you have to get rid of one - but of course you circumvent this (smuggling in your latest prized acquisition). You cannot get away with that forever, of course, and then comes the big edict - get rid of books. Its awful, aside from my collection of first edition Flashman, just about my entire collection of fiction had to go. Some of those books were friends.

I've slowly been getting rid of my paperback novels and replacing them on Kindle: one I couldn't part with 'Code Complete' though; perhaps the best book ever written about software development. And it's by Microsoft. Ahem. :)
    Anglais means English: we might be angels, but it doesn't translate that way. The French for angels is anges. It's not even close. Just dumb.
    Geneva, Switzerland has a Jardin Anglais, and a Hotel Angleterre.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited July 2016

Is there a special badge you get for being insulted here by Sean, or do I have to commission a special T shirt?

It's like the WWI Iron Cross 2nd class. Every Tom, Dick and Harry's got one. You get the oak leaves if you're on the receiving end of a peroration.

PS PB Pedants will never let me get away with the 'oak leaves' crack. Brace yourself for a lengthy monograph on German medal hierarchies :).
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Et voila

I have a piece on the French presidential written for when Mike can find time among everything else!

To cut a long story short, her odds are far too short at the moment. She'll lose to everyone except Hollande (more black swans permitting), and Hollande is unlikely to make the second round.
    She's already at 30% in the 1st round. France is experiencing some pretty black swan stuff at the mo. Purple and blue swans to follow.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Once you hand out too many badges they become like degrees. Devalued.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Paul_Bedforshire

"Maybe it is because I am catholic that my initial reaction to a woman in full length dress and a headscarf is respect for their sense of modesty amongst the sick decadence and hedonism all around them."

That's what I think when I see the burqa, too. I think "respect". Also FGM. Save these poor girls from their immoral clitorises. Teach their vaginas to respect.

I'm a Catholic, too - although my reaction is quite the opposite.

Perhaps when you've had to teach 11 year old girls sent to school dressed like that, when their parents want to withdraw them from large sections of the curriculum including non-participation in sport/music, removing them from school for months on end, harming their educational prospects - culminating in them going altogether to marry someone against their express wishes - you *might* have a rather different view of the extremes of certain religions.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Et voila

She's already at 30% in the 1st round. France is experiencing some pretty black swan stuff at the mo. Purple and blue swans to follow.
    See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_French_presidential_election,_2017#Jupp.C3.A9.E2.80.93Le_Pen

The last two polls, from April and May, have her 70:30 down to Juppe. The same polls put her on about 30% in the first round. She basically gets no transfer votes when Juppe is her opponent.
  • Options

IanB2 said:
    :)

Ah, but that's not detailed enough. For instance the book tells me that the line between Minninglow and Friden (which some illustrious readers might have walked or ridden along) was constructed by Porteus & Co. , whilst the Middleton Incline was built by Higgots & Hollins.

Also where engines and rails were obtained from, how many cubic yards of earth were removed from cuttings, etc, etc.

And many other facts that are useful to no-one except people planning a novel based on the building of the line. ;)
    Just a thought but Ordnance Survey have a huge amount of details and records like that taken over the years. The information was explained on a recent documentary. It might be useful or it might not but worth a check you never know?

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/resources/historical-map-resources/archive-info.html
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Sure, but in the days of ephemera, I like to think the future will appreciate my collection of histories...
This discussion has been closed.