Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LDs gain four seats in their best night of local by-electio

Comments

• Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

Ishmael_X said:

GeoffM said:

PlatoSaid said:

No10 are flying the Tricolor. - A trivial, little thing but says so much imho.

I'm going to get flamed for this, but frankly I've had a gut full of symbolic trivia that achieves Eff All.

There's a predictable cycle:

1. Terrorist attack
    2. Twitter grief/ghoulish interest
    3. #JeSuisWhatever and #PrayForWhatever
    4. Changing your avatar to a rainbow flag or Tricolour
    5. Light up Eiffel Tower, HoP and candle light vigils
    6. Media apologists
    7. Claims of increased hate crimes
    8. Lessons must be learned
    9. Rinse and repeat

/rantover
    Slightly unsure if we're still allowed to say "This".
    "I agree" is acceptable.

Substantively: I agree with Plato.
    everyone should be forced to watch the dining scene from carry on up the khyber and learn how to behave.
    Kenneth Williams (The Mad Khazi) had a great line - "These British are impossible! You can destroy their cities, rape their women and murder their children and they don't bat an eyelid - but oooh..put the tea in before the milk and they go berserk..."
    yes! def my fave film of the series. I heard rumours they were thinking of making some more. I hope not, they were of their time.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

How much coal gets burnt to fully charge an EV in the UK?

Almost none. See: http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
    Surprising current figure given that in 2015 30% of UK electricity came from coal.. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/447632/DUKES_2015_Chapter_5.pdf

But if the current number is the new normal, how much gas is burnt to charge an EV?
    A standard EV battery is 60KWh which is 60,000 x 60 x 60 = 216MJ. Natural gas produces 50MJ per kilo so it's 4.2kg of natural gas to recharge the whole battery, but since gas provides about 40% of UK energy that means 1.7kg of gas is required to recharge a battery, or ~2m².
    You also have to account for the fact that:

- natural gas power station is only 50-60% efficient
    - there are transmission losses
    - there are charging losses

But even so, it's amazingly little isn't it?
    So looking at around 5kg of gas, plus all the other sources used?

How far can it go on one charge?

I can go around a hundred miles on three kilos of diesel
    Well, my Tesla Model S has a theoretical range of 240 miles, but I find it really does more like 200. (That being said, if I were on the motorway the entire time it would probably be closer to 300.)
    What's the Tesla like to live with in London, in terms of charging infrastructure? Or is the city range good enough to get you home every time?
    The charging infrastructure in London is excellent, tbh. I don't even have a home charger.
    That's pretty good. The big question will be how well it all scales when Tesla start selling cars at £25k instead of £65k, and there's a few lot more of them around!
    £25k? When electric cars start coming at at £10-12k (at today's prices) with a 400 mile range in summer and winter, light and dark, then we can start taking them seriously. Until then they will remain a rich man's plaything.
    The upcoming switch to electric cars is more likely to be driven by increasing petrol and diesel prices than falling electric car prices.
    Unless car ownership changes I doubt it. Very few people can buy a £25k car, so cheaper, in capital cost terms, petrol cars will survive.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464
    PlatoSaid said:

Labour have basically admitted that there are so many thugs and bullies operating in CLPs that they have had to suspend meetings for the leadership campaign.

This is no longer a functioning democratic political party.

My memory of last week is pretty vague. Can you remind me how many Tory members voted for their new leader?
    I'm a seriously pissed off one with a vote. When Leadsom dropped out, Gove should've been put to the members along with May. The ballots hadn't been issued.

I expected May to win, but a contest is a contest.

[snip].
    It's a feature not a bug. The lengthy period between the end of MPs round and the ballots going out must in part have been so as to enable a coronation if one candidature became unviable. But the party rules are as they are to try to minimise the risk of a candidate being elected against the wishes of the parliamentary party. Leadsom went into the members' ballot with only 25% behind her, and only 20% from the first round. Gove's figures were even worse. We can overfetishise democracy for its own sake and while there might have been a useful ritual element to a vote, the right decision was made.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    HYUFD said:

If Hillary wins Utah, then something truly astonishing would have happened in US politics.... I think that single state on its own is 1/100 Republican.
    Even more astonishing would be Hillary winning Wyoming and Mississippi
    Is there a market for Hillary winning 40 States ?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,040
    PlatoSaid said:

tpfkar said:

PClipp said:

Lib Dems winning in LEAVE Cornwall despite being most pro REMAIN party.
    Must be just local candidate and circumstances not a systemic swing.

I think it would be a mistake to see the whole of UK politics through the Leave-Remain spectrum. There are loads of other important issues.

The four Lib Dem gains all came in or just next to areas where they previously had a Lib Dem MP. A lot of people are bitterly regretting the advent of a 100% Tory Government, and looking back with nostalgia to when there was a good Lib Dem MP.
    Yes I agree with that. If it was really about Europe, the Lib Dems would have taken the Islington seat and made progress in Newham, not Norfolk and Cornwall.

Still, it does feel that trust locally is coming back and that's showing in results. My guess is that it will take a long time till this is reflected nationally, hence the continuing poor national polls, but that the long journey back is underway.
    This is something I genuinely don't understand at all re the Remain voter.

Given how often we're told that the EU didn't matter - it's caused the most immense ructions.

And three weeks on, some Remainers are still clearly very upset about it on here and in the press/wishing for the worst.

From my own POV, I feel liberated from a failing organisation that whittled away my national identity. What was so compelling bar the 'pound in your pocket' that makes Remainers so annoyed?
    For most people, something is never an "issue" unless they're on the 'wrong' side of it - if the economy is doing well it suddenly drops in the monitor poll. If immigration ever turned into large scale emmigration then it would also be an issue (Just with different people) - same with inflation - not an issue now but it is still of the utmost importance.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited July 2016
    IanB2 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

I partly agree. It was the A8 accession in 2004 that really threw the doors open though. In six EU countries the average wage is a third of the UKs. In another eight its half. That's not taking into account the more generous UK H&W systems. Up until 2004, EU countries were similarly wealthy. That's not true now, and given accession plans, will not be true in the future.

We can certainly reinstate the primary purpose rule (the main reason for the increase in the late 90s), but it was pretty harsh in practice, and I'm not sure reinstatement would attract public support now. Mixed race couples are pretty common today (e.g. two of my five nephews have foreign fiances).

We're likely to find it quite hard to clamp down. Many of us dislike mass immigration, but like immigrants in the round. The usual paradox of public policy.

Interestingly, one of the former Eastern states (Slovenia) has now overtaken Portugal and Greece in GDP per capita. I wouldn't be surprised if the Baltics all manage it within the next five years.
    I know it's only a Wikipedia link, but their IMF data shows that on a PPP basis Estonia and Lithuania already have.

I'm going to repost this link in case you missed it earlier. Full of crunchy numbers.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/Documents/speeches/2016/speech916.pdf
    But to be honest you don't have to do much reading on the tragic story of Polish history to share a bit of pride and joy at the recent progress they have made; it makes it even more regrettable that Polish people here have born the brunt of the post-EUref spate of racist incidents. Particularly as the Poles still regard Britain as one of their closest friends and any Brit who travels there is assured of a warm welcome.
    The first Alan Furst book I read was 'The Polish Officer'. The picture of the polish calvary charging german tanks is iconic.

EDIT
    These 'post EUref racist incidents' seem to be 'reported' incidents, rather than charges, prosecutions, or convictions.

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Dan Hodges is being optimistic on leadership this afternoon.

I'm fairly forgiving when a journalist moves to another title - afterall they've a new agenda to fit in with. However, since he shifted to the Mail on Sunday - I don't bother reading him. I saw his first few columns and just thought nope. Iain Martin had the same problem - he was superb in the WSJ and awful at MoS.

He's got 48% as his Twitter avatar three weeks on. Along with several other journalists, he's lost the plot. Another is Michael Deacon who can't forgive Leave for winning. I loved his stuff for ages.

David Aaronvitch is like Matthew Parris. It's been a most revealing exercise in democracy vs metropolitan media class.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Surprising current figure given that in 2015 30% of UK electricity came from coal.. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/447632/DUKES_2015_Chapter_5.pdf

But if the current number is the new normal, how much gas is burnt to charge an EV?
    A standard EV battery is 60KWh which is 60,000 x 60 x 60 = 216MJ. Natural gas produces 50MJ per kilo so it's 4.2kg of natural gas to recharge the whole battery, but since gas provides about 40% of UK energy that means 1.7kg of gas is required to recharge a battery, or ~2m².

Well, my Tesla Model S has a theoretical range of 240 miles, but I find it really does more like 200. (That being said, if I were on the motorway the entire time it would probably be closer to 300.)
    What's the Tesla like to live with in London, in terms of charging infrastructure? Or is the city range good enough to get you home every time?
    The charging infrastructure in London is excellent, tbh. I don't even have a home charger.
    That's pretty good. The big question will be how well it all scales when Tesla start selling cars at £25k instead of £65k, and there's a few lot more of them around!
    £25k? When electric cars start coming at at £10-12k (at today's prices) with a 400 mile range in summer and winter, light and dark, then we can start taking them seriously. Until then they will remain a rich man's plaything.
    The upcoming switch to electric cars is more likely to be driven by increasing petrol and diesel prices than falling electric car prices.
    Unless car ownership changes I doubt it. Very few people can buy a £25k car, so cheaper, in capital cost terms, petrol cars will survive.
    what's our current run out of oil date? or when will it get so scarce it costs £200 to fill up?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    rullko said:

What do you think it says?
    It says "We have a tricolor in our cupboard. Do you?"
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

So are Labour going to propose re-entry into the EU at the GE? Seems mental to me. Re-entry is going to involve taking up the Euro and Schengen. There is no way the EU would allow us to keep our current opt-outs and vetoes if we rejoined. They hate the fact that we cause so many problems.

Please stop repeating the nonsense re: Schengen and the Euro. Just as our leaving will be a custom deal with pragmatic concessions from Germany and France, so would our entry. Joining the Euro could be easily avoided by adopting the same strategy as the Scandinavian countries, i.e. refrain from joining ERMII.
    That loophole has been closed. Only Sweden use it, Denmark are in ERMII and Finland are in the Eurozone. It's one of the reasons the Scots had a problem. The Euro is non-negotiable.
    Rubbish, there are all sorts of criteria you have to meet before you are allowed into Euro. It was not an issue for Scotland then or now.
    All new entrants have to abide by Maastricht rules and then join ERM II before joining the Eurozone. It really is non-negotiable. If the UK tried to rejoin the EU we'd be subject to those rules. Its one of the reason why once we're out we'll never go back in.
    " Its one of the reason why once we're out we'll never go back in."

If there's another referendum, I think it will just produce a bigger Leave win. People now know Leave _can_ win.
    In a two-horse race, how does it make any difference at all whether people believe one or the other can win? They can hardly vote tactically, can they?
    Methinks you need to take a few psychology classes.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587
    edited July 2016
    Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

tpfkar said:

PClipp said:

I think it would be a mistake to see the whole of UK politics through the Leave-Remain spectrum. There are loads of other important issues.

The four Lib Dem gains all came in or just next to areas where they previously had a Lib Dem MP. A lot of people are bitterly regretting the advent of a 100% Tory Government, and looking back with nostalgia to when there was a good Lib Dem MP.
    Yes I agree with that. If it was really about Europe, the Lib Dems would have taken the Islington seat and made progress in Newham, not Norfolk and Cornwall.

Still, it does feel that trust locally is coming back and that's showing in results. My guess is that it will take a long time till this is reflected nationally, hence the continuing poor national polls, but that the long journey back is underway.

Given how often we're told that the EU didn't matter - it's caused the most immense ructions.

And three weeks on, some Remainers are still clearly very upset about it on here and in the press/wishing for the worst.

From my own POV, I feel liberated from a failing organisation that whittled away my national identity. What was so compelling bar the 'pound in your pocket' that makes Remainers so annoyed?
    For most people, something is never an "issue" unless they're on the 'wrong' side of it - if the economy is doing well it suddenly drops in the monitor poll. If immigration ever turned into large scale emmigration then it would also be an issue (Just with different people) - same with inflation - not an issue now but it is still of the utmost importance.
    Yes but it's more than that, but not really about the nature of the EU as an institution (which disappoints many of us also). It's about what the result says about the outward-looking, internationalist, co-operative and cosmopolitan country we thought (or hoped) we lived in, and the closed-minded, insular and isolationist one we appear to be becoming.

The serious risk of our economy turning downward and the fact that we are now seen as idiots, at best, and distinctly unpleasant at worst, by much of the world, just makes it worse.
  • Options

what's our current run out of oil date? or when will it get so scarce it costs £200 to fill up?

So far down the line as to not be worth worrying about.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    GeoffM said:

rullko said:

What do you think it says?
    It says "We have a tricolor in our cupboard. Do you?"
    :lol: - On the brighter side, at least it wasn’t the ghastly Europa flag. - Solidarity and all that.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Most people buy second-hand cars.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,603
    edited July 2016

Very thought-provoking piece on France from a few days ago:

https://medium.com/@b_judah/islam-and-the-french-republic-from-the-banlieus-to-le-pen-land-92d8a1fbf0e0#.lhlgbk3bw

Le Pen won't win next time, but she might well the time after that.

Thank you - need a stiff drink after reading that.....

Oh well, we may be in a bit of a pickle - but things could be worse....
    Try reading Michel Houellebecq's Submission novel. You'll need a couple more stiff drinks. Muslim brotherhood party vs LePen.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Moving house this weekend so won't be able to comment much for the next few days.
  • Options
    MarcKlein said:

Corbyn's problems just got worse.

There's a guy sueing to keep him off the ballot.

The defendant would ordinarily be McNichol, the general secretary of the Labour party.

Problem is McNichol (and therefore Labour) would be represented by solicitors whose advice was that... Corbyn should be kept off the ballot!

There's talk that the NEC would have to intervene to get Corbyn added as a named defendant, else the Court will be hearing the same thing from both sides... that Corbyn should be kept off the ballot. https://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-be49-Corbyns-right-to-stand-faces-legal-challenge#.V4jVNctwbqA

Without insulting anyone's political choices, I find the re-emergence of the Morning Star as a mouthpiece for mainstream politics incredibly peculiar.

It's something I associate with the late 70s/80s and LoonyLeftLondon. How we've come full circle - again.
  • Options
    Evolution rather than revolution for cars. Eventually we'll all be in electrics by around 2035.

Wonder if we'll have a (wo)man on mars by then..
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Wibsey (Lab defence) on Bradford
    Result: Labour 1,207 (51% +9%), United Kingdom Independence Party 655 (27% -12%), Conservative 451 (19% +5%), Liberal Democrat 70 (3% -2%)
    Labour HOLD with a majority of 552 (24%) on a swing of 10.5% from UKIP to Lab.

UKIP sweeping the Northern Labour seats. I may have misread that one.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

I partly agree. It was the A8 accession in 2004 that really threw the doors open though. In six EU countries the average wage is a third of the UKs. In another eight its half. That's not taking into account the more generous UK H&W systems. Up until 2004, EU countries were similarly wealthy. That's not true now, and given accession plans, will not be true in the future.

We can certainly reinstate the primary purpose rule (the main reason for the increase in the late 90s), but it was pretty harsh in practice, and I'm not sure reinstatement would attract public support now. Mixed race couples are pretty common today (e.g. two of my five nephews have foreign fiances).

We're likely to find it quite hard to clamp down. Many of us dislike mass immigration, but like immigrants in the round. The usual paradox of public policy.

Interestingly, one of the former Eastern states (Slovenia) has now overtaken Portugal and Greece in GDP per capita. I wouldn't be surprised if the Baltics all manage it within the next five years.
    I know it's only a Wikipedia link, but their IMF data shows that on a PPP basis Estonia and Lithuania already have.

I'm going to repost this link in case you missed it earlier. Full of crunchy numbers.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/Documents/speeches/2016/speech916.pdf
    But to be honest you don't have to do much reading on the tragic story of Polish history to share a bit of pride and joy at the recent progress they have made; it makes it even more regrettable that Polish people here have born the brunt of the post-EUref spate of racist incidents. Particularly as the Poles still regard Britain as one of their closest friends and any Brit who travels there is assured of a warm welcome.
    The first Alan Furst book I read was 'The Polish Officer'. The picture of the polish calvary charging german tanks is iconic.

EDIT
    These 'post EUref racist incidents' seem to be 'reported' incidents, rather than charges, prosecutions, or convictions.

The vast majority of them are low level - a muttered comment in a supermarket or on the bus - and either not reported or difficult to follow up, but it has been real nevertheless (although over the last few days I would hope that people's attentions have moved on). You might say these are not therefore a serious concern, but would any of us really want to be living and working somewhere and keep getting told to go home or otherwise made to feel unwelcome?
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

---------------------

• Options
    @IanB2

"... the closed-minded, insular and isolationist one we appear to be becoming."

That is your interpretation, though how you can justify it to yourself is beyond me. For example how to does turning out to face the world mean we are becoming isolationist?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/155ee57ed8536340

Jihadi Terrorism: You Think It's Just the Jews? Think Again.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

:lol: - On the brighter side, at least it wasn’t the ghastly Europa flag. - Solidarity and all that.

https://twitter.com/scotparl/status/753902269788217344
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Evolution rather than revolution for cars. Eventually we'll all be in electrics by around 2035.

Years ago it was supposed to be hydrogen powered cars. What happened to that?
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    PlatoSaid said:

tpfkar said:

PClipp said:

Consequences? Extricating the UK from the EU after 40 years of membership is lunacy: it'll be such a protracted and painful business, affecting many lives, businesses, organisations, treaties, laws and regulations. Lawyers will be kept very busy. The Scottish and Northern Irish questions are very serious. If we go through so much pain and disruption only to arrive at a position as close to the one we currently have (except for not being an EU member anymore) just for the sake of your blessed but nebulous "national identity" no-one will be happy and the financial and emotional waste will have been criminally insane.

So, yes, I don't particularly mind whether we're in or out, and there are very good arguments against the EU per se, but there are also very good arguments in favour of the EU per se, and on a purely practical level Brexit just isn't worth the trouble it's going to cause.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Moving house this weekend so won't be able to comment much for the next few days.

Don't pack the kettle, you'll never find it again.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Nonsense technology that won't/can't work.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Cicero said:

Bernard Jenkin, by contrast is a prat of the highest water.

What might be an interesting side effect of the reshuffle is that May will have made few new friends (Jenkin and the rest of the headbangers will continue to moan about betrayal) while making a whole bunch of new enemies.

There might be an election sooner than she would like
    For May to be brought down by Cameroons rather than Brexiteers would be ironic.
  • Options

@IanB2

"... the closed-minded, insular and isolationist one we appear to be becoming."

That is your interpretation, though how you can justify it to yourself is beyond me. For example how to does turning out to face the world mean we are becoming isolationist?

That is because you are thinking intellectually about the policy decisions that lie ahead, whereas I am looking at the emotions and sentiments that underpinned the campaign to leave and the subsequent vote. Very few voters, I suggest to you, were thinking about turning out towards the world when they cast their votes to leave.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    Scott_P said:
    Have you not heard? The rules don't apply to Corbyn. This is the new politics.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

MarcKlein said:

Corbyn's problems just got worse.

There's a guy sueing to keep him off the ballot.

The defendant would ordinarily be McNichol, the general secretary of the Labour party.

Problem is McNichol (and therefore Labour) would be represented by solicitors whose advice was that... Corbyn should be kept off the ballot!

There's talk that the NEC would have to intervene to get Corbyn added as a named defendant, else the Court will be hearing the same thing from both sides... that Corbyn should be kept off the ballot. https://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-be49-Corbyns-right-to-stand-faces-legal-challenge#.V4jVNctwbqA

Based on the reports of Corbyn's involvement in the attempt to deselect Angle Eagle, is there a case for suspending Corbyn from the Labour Party for breaching his own party rules?
    Rod Liddle would die laughing whist penning his next STimes piece.

Is he still suspended for being rude about Islam?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Scott_P said:

ttps://twitter.com/scotparl/status/753902269788217344

Our flags are flying at half-mast today as a mark of respect to those who lost their lives in Nice.
    yuk.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I thought BMW proved you could run their current petrol engines on hydrogen? I have vague memories of an Economist article.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    '' Very few voters, I suggest to you, were thinking about turning out towards the world when they cast their votes to leave. ''

That says much about your prejudices about people who voted leave. How do you know their motivations? did you ask them? did you conduct a survey? Are you a mind reader?

No, you relied on your own preconceived, bigoted opinions.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

if they made their flags bigger it could hide whatever that ugly building is.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,014
    Cookie said:

felix said:

Jonathan said:

Whilst the Lib Dems can come back in pockets of local government, to make progress nationally they still need to do something to excise the whole tuition fees/coalition poison.

An apology would be a start.

They already have. You must have missed the song. ;)

Where's Labour's apology for introducing tuition fees in the first place, and then increasing them despite a manifesto pledge not to?
    The tuition fees business is a load of old rubbish. The country cannot afford to provide free education to 21 and beyond. Time to move on. There's no evidence that fees have prevented a continued rise in university numbers.
    The main problem with tuition fees, in my view, is not the principle of charging for education, it's that what you actually get should cost a lot less than £9,000 per year. It should be easily possible to deliver a good quality degree course for around a third of that, thereby not impoverishing a generation.
    The main problem with tuition fees, in my view, is that it was sold as helping to deal with the deficit when it did no such thing. The fees still had to be paid by the government to universities. Student loans were a balance sheet exercise that kicked the can down the road. Just like PFI and the Hinkley Point deal. Enron accounting.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

So are Labour going to propose re-entry into the EU at the GE? Seems mental to me. Re-entry is going to involve taking up the Euro and Schengen. There is no way the EU would allow us to keep our current opt-outs and vetoes if we rejoined. They hate the fact that we cause so many problems.

Please stop repeating the nonsense re: Schengen and the Euro. Just as our leaving will be a custom deal with pragmatic concessions from Germany and France, so would our entry. Joining the Euro could be easily avoided by adopting the same strategy as the Scandinavian countries, i.e. refrain from joining ERMII.
    That loophole has been closed. Only Sweden use it, Denmark are in ERMII and Finland are in the Eurozone. It's one of the reasons the Scots had a problem. The Euro is non-negotiable.
    Rubbish, there are all sorts of criteria you have to meet before you are allowed into Euro. It was not an issue for Scotland then or now.
    All new entrants have to abide by Maastricht rules and then join ERM II before joining the Eurozone. It really is non-negotiable. If the UK tried to rejoin the EU we'd be subject to those rules. Its one of the reason why once we're out we'll never go back in.
    " Its one of the reason why once we're out we'll never go back in."

If there's another referendum, I think it will just produce a bigger Leave win. People now know Leave _can_ win.
    In a two-horse race, how does it make any difference at all whether people believe one or the other can win? They can hardly vote tactically, can they?
    No but there's a 'back the sensible option' angle. Leave was presented as fringe, unrealistic, dangerous, undoable. Now its government policy.
    And it's a very British coup in action. #BrexitMeansBrexit
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Pulpstar said:

Nobody solved the fact that hydrogen is highly combustible and that a highly combustible energy inside a vehicle prone to accidents is a recipe for disaster?
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I thought BMW proved you could run their current petrol engines on hydrogen? I have vague memories of an Economist article.
    It all works in theory (and practice) - the economics and logistics are the bit where it falls down.
  • Options

Yes but the price of a second hand car is discounted from its original price. On top of that with electric cars you have remaining battery life to consider (how many recharges has this battery had and what will be the cost of replacing the battery).

No, as I said upthread, the future is probably electric but until technology moves the costs downwards by an order of magnitude it is not going to happen. I reckon ten years plus and by then the whole model of car ownership will look very different.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    PlatoSaid said:

I note that Hammond's decision not to hold an emergency Budget has not been met with the market crash we were told before 23rd June was surely inevitable.....

I saw several market big wheels on Sky yesterday really pissed off with Carney and lots of talk of him as *an unreliable boyfriend*

Whatever else - Carney must be toast. He's lost faith all over the shop by politicking. His totally OTT 3 page rant to Bernard Jenkin said it all. If he'd not danced to Osborne's fiddle, he'd be safe.

Mervyn King blew him out of the water with plain commonsense.
    Quite
    https://twitter.com/IainDale/status/753579248770752516
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,773
    Germans saying EU\US TTIP deal is dead, USA isnt interested without the UK

Großbritannien sei ein „sehr wichtiger Teil der EU“ und habe einen „wesentlichen Anteil daran, was TTIP attraktiv macht“, sagte der amerikanische Handelsbeauftragte Michael Froman am Donnerstag.

"GB is a very important part of the EU and has a sizeable portion of what makes the deal attractive." said US trade negotiator Michael Froman

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/ttip-und-freihandel/ttip-ohne-briten-verliert-fuer-amerika-an-attraktivitaet-14341904.html
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

He's got 48% as his Twitter avatar three weeks on. Along with several other journalists, he's lost the plot. Another is Michael Deacon who can't forgive Leave for winning. I loved his stuff for ages. David Aaronvitch is like Matthew Parris. It's been a most revealing exercise in democracy vs metropolitan media class.
    All the Economist writers have become unreadable with their endless pushing of the anti-LEAVE cause. A bit shocking as I once thought they had some impartiality, but they have lost their heads and their Editor seems to agree with this. No sign of any buccaneering approach to capitalism.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Labour have basically admitted that there are so many thugs and bullies operating in CLPs that they have had to suspend meetings for the leadership campaign.

My memory of last week is pretty vague. Can you remind me how many Tory members voted for their new leader?
    I'm a seriously pissed off one with a vote. When Leadsom dropped out, Gove should've been put to the members along with May. The ballots hadn't been issued.

[snip].
    It's a feature not a bug. The lengthy period between the end of MPs round and the ballots going out must in part have been so as to enable a coronation if one candidature became unviable. But the party rules are as they are to try to minimise the risk of a candidate being elected against the wishes of the parliamentary party. Leadsom went into the members' ballot with only 25% behind her, and only 20% from the first round. Gove's figures were even worse. We can overfetishise democracy for its own sake and while there might have been a useful ritual element to a vote, the right decision was made.
    And here we depart company. Killing Gove by ballot - and giving him a job would salve a great many wounds.

I think May has made a big mistake losing talent like that. Gove was immensely loyal to Cameron for years and took a load of crap for it. He overdid it in the end - that doesn't deserve outer darkness.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,241
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Qualcomm are working on wireless charging parking spots. They are also working on extending the tech to on-road charging.
    https://www.qualcomm.com/products/halo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClFu4Z954rs
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    "GB is a very important part of the EU and has a sizeable portion of what makes the deal attractive." said US trade negotiator Michael Froman

Zerohedge reports that Froman is now pushing for a separate quick deal with the UK.

Back of the queue? you lying toerags.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

He's got 48% as his Twitter avatar three weeks on. Along with several other journalists, he's lost the plot. Another is Michael Deacon who can't forgive Leave for winning. I loved his stuff for ages. David Aaronvitch is like Matthew Parris. It's been a most revealing exercise in democracy vs metropolitan media class.
    All the Economist writers have become unreadable with their endless pushing of the anti-LEAVE cause. A bit shocking as I once thought they had some impartiality, but they have lost their heads and their Editor seems to agree with this. No sign of any buccaneering approach to capitalism.
    the Economist lost the plot in the early Blair years and still hasnt rediscovered it.
  • Options
    Just had a look at the Labour NEC ballot. (6 of the slots)

Six clear pro Corbyn candidates, and nine others. We await the results but I have an idea what they'll be.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Großbritannien sei ein „sehr wichtiger Teil der EU“ und habe einen „wesentlichen Anteil daran, was TTIP attraktiv macht“, sagte der amerikanische Handelsbeauftragte Michael Froman am Donnerstag.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/ttip-und-freihandel/ttip-ohne-briten-verliert-fuer-amerika-an-attraktivitaet-14341904.html

I can't help thinking of all the luvvies who campaigned against TTIP and against Brexit. They must be wondering what to make of this.
  • Options

Yes but the price of a second hand car is discounted from its original price. On top of that with electric cars you have remaining battery life to consider (how many recharges has this battery had and what will be the cost of replacing the battery).

No, as I said upthread, the future is probably electric but until technology moves the costs downwards by an order of magnitude it is not going to happen. I reckon ten years plus and by then the whole model of car ownership will look very different.
    It will happen regardless of whether the technology becomes cheaper. Oil will become scarcer over the coming decades and petrol will become more expensive. This is inevitable. So at some point (depending on car usage), it will simply become more cost-effective to drive an electric car or use public transport.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    PlatoSaid said:

I think May has made a big mistake losing talent like that. Gove was immensely loyal to Cameron for years and took a load of crap for it. He overdid it in the end - that doesn't deserve outer darkness.

Presumably you'd say the same for Osborne.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Nobody solved the fact that hydrogen is highly combustible and that a highly combustible energy inside a vehicle prone to accidents is a recipe for disaster?
    Someone must have thought about that though, Mr. Thompson. A couple of years ago I was seeing London buses powered by Hydrogen in central London. I presume TFL, or whoever, would not allow unsafe vehicles on the road.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

I suspect that is just posturing for more leverage and a 'better' deal for the US.

That seed, without the UK, I think the remains of the EU is more incline to protectionism and less convinced of the virtues of Free Trade, and therefor the final TTIP agreement will be marginally less comprehensive and less beneficial, than it would other wise have been.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    surbiton said:

Wibsey (Lab defence) on Bradford
    Result: Labour 1,207 (51% +9%), United Kingdom Independence Party 655 (27% -12%), Conservative 451 (19% +5%), Liberal Democrat 70 (3% -2%)
    Labour HOLD with a majority of 552 (24%) on a swing of 10.5% from UKIP to Lab.

UKIP sweeping the Northern Labour seats. I may have misread that one.

UKIP were up 6% on May.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,447
    Scott_P said:
    The formal meeting was banned and action will be taken. If Corbyn wants to address a pub social thats ok (albeit utterly divisive and stupid if true)
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

tpfkar said:

PClipp said:

Yes but it's more than that, but not really about the nature of the EU as an institution (which disappoints many of us also). It's about what the result says about the outward-looking, internationalist, co-operative and cosmopolitan country we thought (or hoped) we lived in, and the closed-minded, insular and isolationist one we appear to be becoming.

The serious risk of our economy turning downward and the fact that we are now seen as idiots, at best, and distinctly unpleasant at worst, by much of the world, just makes it worse.
    Seriously, how is trading with the entire planet and encouraging the best Earthlings here any of those things?

It's totally absurd.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

the Economist lost the plot in the early Blair years and still hasnt rediscovered it.
    I find the Economist an echo chamber. Very few of their writers are prepared even to make the effort to consider an alternative point of view.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,669

As I said yesterday!

https://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/1192401/#Comment_1192401

The word from the US is that they want the UK to be involved with the TTIP because it's dead without our involvement. It won't pass without the UK, at which point we'll be first in the queue, but the US want to have their cake and eat it so are trying to get a way for the UK into the TTIP either as an additional contracting party or as an EU associate signatory.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

[snip].
    And here we depart company. Killing Gove by ballot - and giving him a job would salve a great many wounds.

Gove, however, proved himself to be very flakey.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,014

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones.

Alternatives to oil will get cheaper and cheaper. The tipping point will come when the Saudis and others realise their oil reserves are diminishing in value and seek to offload them thereby further drastically cutting the price of oil.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

I suspect that is just posturing for more leverage and a 'better' deal for the US.

That seed, without the UK, I think the remains of the EU is more incline to protectionism and less convinced of the virtues of Free Trade, and therefor the final TTIP agreement will be marginally less comprehensive and less beneficial, than it would other wise have been.
    Heathrow was the prize in the EU-US open skies deal.

Face it, without the UK the EU is just a little backwater.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

rcs1000 said:

PlatoSaid said:

I note that Hammond's decision not to hold an emergency Budget has not been met with the market crash we were told before 23rd June was surely inevitable.....

I saw several market big wheels on Sky yesterday really pissed off with Carney and lots of talk of him as *an unreliable boyfriend*

Whatever else - Carney must be toast. He's lost faith all over the shop by politicking. His totally OTT 3 page rant to Bernard Jenkin said it all. If he'd not danced to Osborne's fiddle, he'd be safe.

I think it's incredibly unlikely Carney will be fired.
    Given how keen Hammond is on Remain, I wonder what he'll do.
    Carney, has weakened his position and I am sure he will be replaced in 2017.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Get yourself a dongle. I've one topped up for interweb access when my landline service goes wonky. Very handy and totally portable - just stick it into your laptop/PC.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

I think she shouldn't have dumped Osborne so quickly. He should have been given a big job. Maybe the superministry if she had folded transport and the NIC into BIS and make Grayling DPM and party chair.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Top up your "Article 50 not to be triggered" bets...

@Reuters: Britain's May says won't trigger Article 50 until have UK-wide approach https://t.co/zmZzfMgrzn https://t.co/dyUqKBfijU
  • Options

MikeK said:

Absolutely. Kettle, teabags, mugs, bathroom stuff and bedding. All in one bag with you in the car.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    MaxPB said:

I think she shouldn't have dumped Osborne so quickly. He should have been given a big job. Maybe the superministry if she had folded transport and the NIC into BIS and make Grayling DPM and party chair.

Actually, I think she was right to exclude him (and I forecast that she would). She absolutely needs to impose her own stamp on the new government. She could perhaps have done it a bit more graciously.

Having said that, I'm nervous about three of her key appointements. Boris is Boris; might turn out well, but it's certainly a high-risk appointment. I'm a great fan of Amber Rudd, but the horrendous events in Nice remind us of the kind of challenge she might face, and I wonder if she's the right person for that role. And DD is looking to me like a major disaster in the making: everything he has said or written on the Brexit negotiations looks like wishful thinking - and arrogant wishful thinking at that.
  • Options

We were always their anchor tenant. Without us, the game has changed.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited July 2016
    The logic the Americans are applying to TTIP applies equally to other trading partners to the EU.

I believe we are among both Switzerland and Norway's biggest export markets. At the very least, I would want my entry fee lowered if the market I have been paying to access has substantially shrunk and lost one of it's richest and best buyers.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,792
    PlatoSaid said:

MikeK said:

Absolutely. Kettle, teabags, mugs, bathroom stuff and bedding. All in one bag with you in the car.
    And pets!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,231
    Scott_P said:
    So just speculative bollox based on Corbyn having a phone call, how low can Tories stoop in their lies and deceit.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Nick Cohen is another - he's gone on and on and on about Labour's lack of understanding re it's core vote, and then gets really humpy about the EU.

Err...

I remain unconvinced that they really appreciate what the EU had planned for us. They're just as religiously tribal as Corbynistas.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Scott_P said:

Top up your "Article 50 not to be triggered" bets...

@Reuters: Britain's May says won't trigger Article 50 until have UK-wide approach https://t.co/zmZzfMgrzn https://t.co/dyUqKBfijU

It won't be triggered until after the French presidential elections and German federal elections. That should give us plenty of time to figure out what the hell it is we want.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Alanbrooke

'Germans saying EU\US TTIP deal is dead, USA isnt interested without the UK

"GB is a very important part of the EU and has a sizeable portion of what makes the deal attractive." said US trade negotiator Michael Froman'

Strange Mr Obama told us only a few weeks ago we were unimportant and at the back of the queue.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,399
    edited July 2016

Pulpstar said:

Someone must have thought about that though, Mr. Thompson. A couple of years ago I was seeing London buses powered by Hydrogen in central London. I presume TFL, or whoever, would not allow unsafe vehicles on the road.
    Ironically 'oil capital' Aberdeen is piloting a fleet of 10 hydrogen powered buses, so yes, they must be entirely safe. Unfortunately they seem to break down quite a bit.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071

PlatoSaid said:

rcs1000 said:

PlatoSaid said:

I think it's incredibly unlikely Carney will be fired.
    Given how keen Hammond is on Remain, I wonder what he'll do.
    Carney, has weakened his position and I am sure he will be replaced in 2017.
    Replacing a Bank Governor? That would be rather brave....

He's going in 2018 anyway. Bigger issue would be who replaces him then. I'd trust May/Hammond to make a better appointment than Osborne.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,231

Scott_P said:

If you put a couple of bags over your head their would be less frightened children about
  • Options

He's going in 2018 anyway. Bigger issue would be who replaces him then. I'd trust May/Hammond to make a better appointment than Osborne.

A better appointment than Mark Carney? Really??
  • Options

Given that Carney has severely damaged his reputation, even before the vote, compared to the calm and consistent clarity of his long-serving predecessor ... yes.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Never. Osborne became Osbrowne over the last year. For every clever submarine move - he nuked himself in public with Budget mistakes.

I thought the fuss over Pasty Tax was stupid - but his last few errors - and trying to blame IDS were fatal.

He's spent far too long being a clever dick and failing. I'm delighted he's gone. BTW, many years ago - I heard an intv on R5 where he came across as a really nice chap. I gave him a load of cred on here for that.

It doesn't make up for his failings.
  • Options

Maybe theyll appoint Osborne :-)
  • Options

He may have lucked out on Carney but I'm not really convinced he's made much of a mark even if King was criticised for being a despot. I think there may be some good people in the bank but I can't imagine Osborne ever favouring a reformer.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

PlatoSaid said:

Naughty Richard - but very nice.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

If you put a couple of bags over your head their would be less frightened children about
    Come now Malc, you aren't actually defending the Scottish Parliament building are you? Leaving aside the grossness and impracticality of the architecture, it gives you lots of reasons to attack Scottish Labour over the massive cost overruns. :)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

As far as I understand all the solutions to make it safe, have also been tremendously expensive.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Mark Carney has the confidence of the markets.

He doesn't need the confidence of PB.
  • Options

Raghuram Rajan is available.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464
    john_zims said:

@Alanbrooke

"GB is a very important part of the EU and has a sizeable portion of what makes the deal attractive." said US trade negotiator Michael Froman'

Strange Mr Obama told us only a few weeks ago we were unimportant and at the back of the queue.

Mr Obama knew full well that it'd have nothing to do with him with presidential and congressional elections within five months of when he said it.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

I find the Economist an echo chamber. Very few of their writers are prepared even to make the effort to consider an alternative point of view.
    Probably down to the young age most seem to be and their background a metropolitan leftie mindset. Ironically reliant upon corporate subscriptions and corporate advertising. One day a media group will launch a right wing capitalist version.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Given that Carney has severely damaged his reputation, even before the vote, compared to the calm and consistent clarity of his long-serving predecessor ... yes.

His reputation internationally and amongst the people who actually matter is completely undamaged, indeed enhanced by the skilful way he handled the post-referendum fallout. Of course, some Leave supporters, miffed that he didn't gloss over the economic risks, have taken umbrage, but no-one can take that seriously.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

As far as I understand all the solutions to make it safe, have also been tremendously expensive.
    The cost to make petrol vehicles safe would be much higher. However, we haven't bothered with that, and fuel still catches fire and explodes.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

His reputation internationally and amongst the people who actually matter is completely undamaged, indeed enhanced by the skilful way he handled the post-referendum fallout. Of course, some Leave supporters, miffed that he didn't gloss over the economic risks, have taken umbrage, but no-one can take that seriously.
    Absolutely, Carney is the only one in the post-referendum fallout to have any kind of credit. Reassuring and confident.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

We were always their anchor tenant. Without us, the game has changed.
    Is that at the back of the queue?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Probably down to the young age most seem to be and their background a metropolitan leftie mindset. Ironically reliant upon corporate subscriptions and corporate advertising. One day a media group will launch a right wing capitalist version.
    Not really ironic. There's nothing anti-corporate about The Economist. You seem to be confusing socially liberal with left wing.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,852
    john_zims said:

@Alanbrooke

The world is turning away from encompassing trade deals. Which is a major part of why we Brexited.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The cost to make petrol vehicles safe would be much higher. However, we haven't bothered with that, and fuel still catches fire and explodes.
    Hydrogen has many other issues compared to petrol wrt safety. For one thing, it is pressurised.

Hydrogen car proponents claim hydrogen is actually safer than petrol. I'm far from sure that's true (the Ford Pinto aside).
  • Options
    "The Department for Transport confirmed Claire Perry had quit, but did not give reasons for her departure."

Wrong type of resignation on the line?

Cheap day return to the back benches.
  • Options

john_zims said:

@Alanbrooke

Mr Obama knew full well that it'd have nothing to do with him with presidential and congressional elections within five months of when he said it.
    I also doubt he would have made the remarks without squaring it wit the UK government. He even used the British 'queue' rather than American 'line'. That probably wouldn't fit the agenda of the xenophobes though.
This discussion has been closed.