Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LDs gain four seats in their best night of local by-electio

12346»

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,582

MaxPB said:

I think she shouldn't have dumped Osborne so quickly. He should have been given a big job. Maybe the superministry if she had folded transport and the NIC into BIS and make Grayling DPM and party chair.

Actually, I think she was right to exclude him (and I forecast that she would). She absolutely needs to impose her own stamp on the new government. She could perhaps have done it a bit more graciously.

Having said that, I'm nervous about three of her key appointements. Boris is Boris; might turn out well, but it's certainly a high-risk appointment. I'm a great fan of Amber Rudd, but the horrendous events in Nice remind us of the kind of challenge she might face, and I wonder if she's the right person for that role. And DD is looking to me like a major disaster in the making: everything he has said or written on the Brexit negotiations looks like wishful thinking - and arrogant wishful thinking at that.
    Andrew Neil's humerous comment on This Week was that Boris got the job by accident, just because our Theresa wrote "F Off" against his name when she was doing the appointments.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Scott_P said:

:lol: - On the brighter side, at least it wasn’t the ghastly Europa flag. - Solidarity and all that.

https://twitter.com/scotparl/status/753902269788217344
    if they made their flags bigger it could hide whatever that ugly building is.
    It looks like a 1960's municipal multi storey car park.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

He even used the British 'queue' rather than American 'line'.

FFS, how much monger are the denialists going to persist with that bollocks

Every American who has a Netflix account uses the word queue.

Hint, there's a lot of them...
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    FF43 said:

john_zims said:

@Alanbrooke

'Germans saying EU\US TTIP deal is dead, USA isnt interested without the UK

Großbritannien sei ein „sehr wichtiger Teil der EU“ und habe einen „wesentlichen Anteil daran, was TTIP attraktiv macht“, sagte der amerikanische Handelsbeauftragte Michael Froman am Donnerstag.

"GB is a very important part of the EU and has a sizeable portion of what makes the deal attractive." said US trade negotiator Michael Froman'

Strange Mr Obama told us only a few weeks ago we were unimportant and at the back of the queue.

The world is turning away from encompassing trade deals. Which is a major part of why we Brexited.
    I wonder if we could sign up to TPP easily? That would give us access to the Americas and SE Asia at one stroke.

If the world is moving away from globalisation and free trade arrangements then that knocks the biggest economic argument for Brexit dead.

• Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    This talk of TTIP, has made me think:

If we leave aside the obvious geographical issue, could we not join the Trance Pacific Partnership (TPP) a new trade block of 12 nations including the US, candida, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, chili, that combined account for 40% of global GDP?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

PlatoSaid said:

MikeK said:

Moving house this weekend so won't be able to comment much for the next few days.

Don't pack the kettle, you'll never find it again.
    Absolutely. Kettle, teabags, mugs, bathroom stuff and bedding. All in one bag with you in the car.
    And pets!
    Ha! I moved from Burgess Hill to Eastbourne with 6 big cat baskets full of protesting felines. My worst/best experience was leaving my workplace rental in Bulford, nr Salisbury. I lived in a riverside lodge full of swans and an enormous millpond. My kitty Dino went walkabout - for days before I was due to move home.

I tried everything no avail. I accepted that he was lost/very tearful. Then whilst literally packing my stuff into the boot - he appeared!! And was hugged/stuffed into cat box for the 150 mile trip back.

He continued his travels when back home - and became known as Kevin to the local horsepath cafe visitors who fed him tuna and ham sandwiches.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

john_zims said:

@Alanbrooke

'Germans saying EU\US TTIP deal is dead, USA isnt interested without the UK

Großbritannien sei ein „sehr wichtiger Teil der EU“ und habe einen „wesentlichen Anteil daran, was TTIP attraktiv macht“, sagte der amerikanische Handelsbeauftragte Michael Froman am Donnerstag.

"GB is a very important part of the EU and has a sizeable portion of what makes the deal attractive." said US trade negotiator Michael Froman'

Strange Mr Obama told us only a few weeks ago we were unimportant and at the back of the queue.

Mr Obama knew full well that it'd have nothing to do with him with presidential and congressional elections within five months of when he said it.
    I also doubt he would have made the remarks without squaring it wit the UK government. He even used the British 'queue' rather than American 'line'. That probably wouldn't fit the agenda of the xenophobes though.
    He's used queue on multiple occasions in America. What does that prove

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/321044/is-it-conceivable-that-president-obama-might-use-the-word-queue
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    Scott_P said:

In the US you'd normally say 'back of the line.' It was a rather clumsy phrase to use though I'm sure Downing St would have been begging him for an intervention and the State dept too.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

"Every American" Presumably you have some evidence to support that or are you making it up?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Was Claire Parry sacked or did she resign?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Scott_P said:

In the US you'd normally say 'back of the line.' It was a rather clumsy phrase to use though I'm sure Downing St would have been begging him for an intervention and the State dept too.
    Obviously Obama considered his ally, Cameron, before making the speech. But it was his speech.
  • Options

"Every American" Presumably you have some evidence to support that or are you making it up?

"Every American who has a Netflix account" was what I said
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Dan Hodges is being optimistic on leadership this afternoon.

He's got 48% as his Twitter avatar three weeks on. Along with several other journalists, he's lost the plot. Another is Michael Deacon who can't forgive Leave for winning. I loved his stuff for ages. David Aaronvitch is like Matthew Parris. It's been a most revealing exercise in democracy vs metropolitan media class.
    All the Economist writers have become unreadable with their endless pushing of the anti-LEAVE cause. A bit shocking as I once thought they had some impartiality, but they have lost their heads and their Editor seems to agree with this. No sign of any buccaneering approach to capitalism.
    the Economist lost the plot in the early Blair years and still hasnt rediscovered it.
    I find the Economist an echo chamber. Very few of their writers are prepared even to make the effort to consider an alternative point of view.
    Probably down to the young age most seem to be and their background a metropolitan leftie mindset. Ironically reliant upon corporate subscriptions and corporate advertising. One day a media group will launch a right wing capitalist version.
    I'd say Metropolitan liberal, rather than Metropolitan leftie. They generally support free markets. What they can't comprehend is attachment to nation states, opposition to high levels of immigration, or tradition.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    dr_spyn said:

Was Claire Parry sacked or did she resign?

Sounded like a resignation. She's had a lot of grief over Southern.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

I think she shouldn't have dumped Osborne so quickly. He should have been given a big job. Maybe the superministry if she had folded transport and the NIC into BIS and make Grayling DPM and party chair.

Actually, I think she was right to exclude him (and I forecast that she would). She absolutely needs to impose her own stamp on the new government. She could perhaps have done it a bit more graciously.

Having said that, I'm nervous about three of her key appointements. Boris is Boris; might turn out well, but it's certainly a high-risk appointment. I'm a great fan of Amber Rudd, but the horrendous events in Nice remind us of the kind of challenge she might face, and I wonder if she's the right person for that role. And DD is looking to me like a major disaster in the making: everything he has said or written on the Brexit negotiations looks like wishful thinking - and arrogant wishful thinking at that.
    Andrew Neil's humerous comment on This Week was that Boris got the job by accident, just because our Theresa wrote "F Off" against his name when she was doing the appointments.

I think Philip Collins may have a point about Theresa May-jors long term resemblance to Brown and John Major.

Also regarding Osborne's dismissal, it has probably been missed in the south but Osborne's success in the Big Idea of the Northern Powerhouse was playing well up here and May's cabinet is very southern English.

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/753883621140889601
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    Surely that should be "front of the line" ?
  • Options

Replacing a Bank Governor? That would be rather brave....

He's going in 2018 anyway. Bigger issue would be who replaces him then. I'd trust May/Hammond to make a better appointment than Osborne.

A better appointment than Mark Carney? Really??
    Given that Carney has severely damaged his reputation, even before the vote, compared to the calm and consistent clarity of his long-serving predecessor ... yes.
    Well quite. Mervyn was a class act. I never doubted him.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,851
    saddened said:

Scott_P said:

:lol: - On the brighter side, at least it wasn’t the ghastly Europa flag. - Solidarity and all that.

I am going to defend Holyrood and say it is an interesting piece of architecture - mainly on the inside. Not worth the money obviously. I have visited recently built parliaments in Berlin and Canberra, which also came in with eye watering cost overruns. Architecturally Holyrood beats those two in my opinion.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,787
    Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:
    Any news on who else is in the queue/line?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,950
    edited July 2016
    Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:
    Whatever.

Looks like we're gong to have the world and his wife beating down our door to do business, which I'm sure you'll be delighted about.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Dan Hodges is being optimistic on leadership this afternoon.

He's got 48% as his Twitter avatar three weeks on. Along with several other journalists, he's lost the plot. Another is Michael Deacon who can't forgive Leave for winning. I loved his stuff for ages. David Aaronvitch is like Matthew Parris. It's been a most revealing exercise in democracy vs metropolitan media class.
    All the Economist writers have become unreadable with their endless pushing of the anti-LEAVE cause. A bit shocking as I once thought they had some impartiality, but they have lost their heads and their Editor seems to agree with this. No sign of any buccaneering approach to capitalism.
    the Economist lost the plot in the early Blair years and still hasnt rediscovered it.
    I find the Economist an echo chamber. Very few of their writers are prepared even to make the effort to consider an alternative point of view.
    Probably down to the young age most seem to be and their background a metropolitan leftie mindset. Ironically reliant upon corporate subscriptions and corporate advertising. One day a media group will launch a right wing capitalist version.
    I'd say Metropolitan liberal, rather than Metropolitan leftie. They generally support free markets. What they can't comprehend is attachment to nation states, opposition to high levels of immigration, or tradition.
    It may be idealism for some of them. But it must also be considered that nation states, immigration controls and tradition are often seen as impediments to commercial success. If all you care about it money, particularly the profits of plcs, then such an ideology is most helpful as cover.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

saddened said:

Scott_P said:

I am going to defend Holyrood and say it is an interesting piece of architecture - mainly on the inside. Not worth the money obviously. I have visited recently built parliaments in Berlin and Canberra, which also came in with eye watering cost overruns. Architecturally Holyrood beats those two in my opinion.
    Cobblers - it's not 1/10 compared to the Lloyds building.

It's a totally overpriced carbuncle. I'd add in the hideous Portcullis House as a hideous chimney that needs knocking down.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Scott_P said:

Scheuble was very clear that his comments were at the explicit request of Osborne.

If you truly believe that Obama intervened in an internal political matter in the UK without an invitation to do so then you are much denser than I thought.

(The 'queue' vs. 'line' wording was never more than circumstantial evidence)
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    FF43 said:

saddened said:

Scott_P said:

It is "interesting" certainly.
    But it's a bloody maze. Must be hellish to use on a daily basis.
    Went along for the open day a couple of weeks back; I sat in the debating chamber and poked around. It's an interesting building and environs, but certainly not worth the cost.

It was and remains a vanity project.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:
    Any news on who else is in the queue/line?
    Reminds me of that race around the Kremlin between Nixon and Khrushchev. Nixon won.

Pravda reported that Khrushchev came in second. Nixon was next to last.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,224

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

If you put a couple of bags over your head their would be less frightened children about
    Come now Malc, you aren't actually defending the Scottish Parliament building are you? Leaving aside the grossness and impracticality of the architecture, it gives you lots of reasons to attack Scottish Labour over the massive cost overruns. :)
    It is quirky to say the least but up close it looks much better than photo's. I do agree it was an obscene amount of money to waste , but no worse than your average government project , especially Labour.
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    Cicero said:

rcs1000 said:

PlatoSaid said:

I note that Hammond's decision not to hold an emergency Budget has not been met with the market crash we were told before 23rd June was surely inevitable.....

I saw several market big wheels on Sky yesterday really pissed off with Carney and lots of talk of him as *an unreliable boyfriend*

Whatever else - Carney must be toast. He's lost faith all over the shop by politicking. His totally OTT 3 page rant to Bernard Jenkin said it all. If he'd not danced to Osborne's fiddle, he'd be safe.

Mervyn King blew him out of the water with plain commonsense.
    I think it's incredibly unlikely Carney will be fired.
    Carney is widely considered the only grown up figure in the UK at the moment. He is totally bullet proof. Bernard Jenkin, by contrast is a prat of the highest water.
    I doubt Carney will get a second term. Not looked up how that meshes with the Canadian electoral cycle.
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649

Very thought-provoking piece on France from a few days ago:

https://medium.com/@b_judah/islam-and-the-french-republic-from-the-banlieus-to-le-pen-land-92d8a1fbf0e0#.lhlgbk3bw

Le Pen won't win next time, but she might well the time after that.

Thank you - need a stiff drink after reading that.....

Oh well, we may be in a bit of a pickle - but things could be worse....
    Try reading Michel Houellebecq's Submission novel. You'll need a couple more stiff drinks. Muslim brotherhood party vs LePen.
    I never had much time for Houellebecq's earlier work. I thought that JG Ballard had gone over the same ground much better 30 years previously. But Submission really weirded me out with its notion that the islamist project is the restoration of patriarchy. Actual patriarchy, not what modern feminists worry about. The restoration of women to chattel status. Creepy.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

MikeK said:

Moving house this weekend so won't be able to comment much for the next few days.

Don't pack the kettle, you'll never find it again.
    Absolutely. Kettle, teabags, mugs, bathroom stuff and bedding. All in one bag with you in the car.
    And pets!
    Ha! I moved from Burgess Hill to Eastbourne with 6 big cat baskets full of protesting felines. My worst/best experience was leaving my workplace rental in Bulford, nr Salisbury. I lived in a riverside lodge full of swans and an enormous millpond. My kitty Dino went walkabout - for days before I was due to move home.

I tried everything no avail. I accepted that he was lost/very tearful. Then whilst literally packing my stuff into the boot - he appeared!! And was hugged/stuffed into cat box for the 150 mile trip back.

He continued his travels when back home - and became known as Kevin to the local horsepath cafe visitors who fed him tuna and ham sandwiches.
    Miss. P., A cat goes to where people feed him tuna and ham, thats a shock! Many years ago my oppo was a chap with six daughters (he was Jewish his wife was Sicilian - having a son was important to them both, eventually he called a halt). On one leave he moved his family into their first owned home, i.e. non-quarters. Then we were back to work for a few weeks and when he got home the next time the family had a very healthy black and white cat that his daughters has christened "Rajah".

How? Well this cat appeared in the garden and looked hungry so the girls gave it smoked salmon, it appeared the next day more smoked salmon, the day after (being a Sunday) it got roast lamb. After that Rajah basically just moved in. With six girls ranging from age about six to young teens competing to spoil him, it is no wonder.

Who Rajah's original people were and what they thought of the deal my oppo never found out, though, to be fair, he did try.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 845
    Mortimer: IPSOS MORI seem to have it right, with LIb Dems ahead of UKIP?.
This discussion has been closed.