Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Where Eagle dares after Tom Watson’s Union discussions fail

Comments

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,982
    The other decision that will have to be made is whether £3ers get a vote this time.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    ToryJim said:

Well Louise Mensch has a unique take on the audio and transcript.

https://twitter.com/louisemensch/status/751747630351454208

Ah, to have friends like Louise, prepared to back you even when there's a clusterf**k developing...
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Jobabob said:

Just stuck this tweet in to the thread header

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/751751232767795200

If he can......
    Does he need nominations? How many? Is he likely to get it?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

kle4 said:

As this is the year of weird political happenings, how about Lord Kinnock renouncing peerage, standing in Batley and running to unite and save the party?

I feel kind of sorry for him - his speech to the party the other day the audio of which is online was a little sad, in that he sounds as angry about Benn and his clique now as he was then, and was furiously talking of how there will be no split, no one is forcing him out, and yet his party may well find itself to be diametrically opposed in many ways to what he thinks it should be.
    He was so delighted to "get my Party back" when EdM was elected too.
    That'll be the same Edward who introduce the stunning £3 a go supporters scheme?

How's the three quiddey thingy going Ed?
    I genuinely can't understand what EdM and his clique were thinking of. It was so horribly obvious what would happen.
    Harnessing the masses as they joined may have been an attractive prospect. Not likely though.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    If Jeremy Corbyn gets on the ballot paper, the odds for Angela Eagle look slim indeed.

Is anyone else going to stand?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

kle4 said:

As this is the year of weird political happenings, how about Lord Kinnock renouncing peerage, standing in Batley and running to unite and save the party?

I feel kind of sorry for him - his speech to the party the other day the audio of which is online was a little sad, in that he sounds as angry about Benn and his clique now as he was then, and was furiously talking of how there will be no split, no one is forcing him out, and yet his party may well find itself to be diametrically opposed in many ways to what he thinks it should be.
    That'll be the same Edward who introduce the stunning £3 a go supporters scheme?

I genuinely can't understand what EdM and his clique were thinking of. It was so horribly obvious what would happen.
    Harnessing the masses as they joined may have been an attractive prospect. Not likely though.

If stupid MPs had not got Corbyn on the ballot paper it would not have been an issue.

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    DanSmith said:

DanSmith said:

Has Watson just spent the last week with the unions stitching Corbyn up? I doubt it, but it would be absolutely and gloriously magnificent if it were so.

My word you might have spotted something there.
    Well, he's (Watson) had the training for it.
    A rule of the Labour party, Watson always gets what he wants.
    Watson fancies himself a fat bespectacled Svengali but his record of pulling off coups is pathetic. He needs to go.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I think I will join the Labour party to stop Corbyn becoming leader, again as we need a strong opposition. £1 for uni students. A bargain
    *Everyone here who loves Britain should do the same if you can*
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    nunu said:

Jobabob said:

If he can......
    Depends. Most likely he won't need them, but that will be subject to NEC challenge (based on the Kinnock precedent). If Watson has turned union votes, Corbyn may need nominations. If he needs nominations, he won't get enough.

Hope that's clear!
  • Options

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

kle4 said:

If stupid MPs had not got Corbyn on the ballot paper it would not have been an issue.

Quite. It keeps coming down to that the process for both parties is designed to screen out the no hopers before it gets to the public, albeit by different means. If a crazy no hoper gets through, it is the fault of MPs for ignoring the spirit of the rules.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

kle4 said:

I'd question whether Plato said that at the time, but I stand to be corrected.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,486
    This parody site is pretty funny http://leadsomforleader.co.uk
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,645

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

As a bet 50-1 on Lib Dems having most seats at next general election could be an interesting shot. A split in Labour followed by Tories electing AL who trashes the economy with a botched negotiation and the Lib Dems come through with a clear vote to go back into EC.

I'd be wanting a lot more than 50-1
    I'd be wanting the 500-1 I have on UKIP most seats.
    My current most seats book on Betfair is as follows:

Con +11
    Lab +9
    Lib Dems +1250
    UKIP +1250
    Any other +2287

I'm not doing anything much with this for the while.
    "Any other" looks good there.
  • Options

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

kle4 said:

True but water under the bridge
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,663
    Crap, I'm going to be owing that swine Tissue Price £50 now.

Damn you Angela Eagle, damn you.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,545
    @TheScreamingEagles

You desperately need to change your PB name.

You sound like an Angela and Maria tribute act!

The Floundering Eagles :lol:

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

What was the bet?
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    Angela Eagle is not the answer to Labour's problems. Is this really the best they can do?
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    ToryJim said:

She is right, the transcript is very badly done. RS doesn't say "So it really keeps you focussed on what are you really saying", Leadsom says that.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,207

Angela Eagle is not the answer to Labour's problems. Is this really the best they can do?

The best they can do at the next election is get a Michael Howard to Corbyn's IDS, yes
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,663

What was the bet?
    How many Labour MPs there would be at the time of the next Labour leadership contest.

I went for sub 200 MPs.
  • Options

She's a stalking horse
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,207

If Jeremy Corbyn gets on the ballot paper, the odds for Angela Eagle look slim indeed.

Is anyone else going to stand?

Corbyn 50% Eagle 40% in the last members poll, so much closer than May led Leadsom, I would not rule out the Eagle completely yet and unlike 2015 when Corbyn benefited from being the outsider with low expectations it is now Eagle who has nothing to lose
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

What was the bet?
    How many Labour MPs there would be at the time of the next Labour leadership contest.

I went for sub 200 MPs.
    Ah. Mr Tissue Price is an adversary to be treated with considerable caution.
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    After reading Sarah Wollaston's tweet this morning re Andrea Leadsom, it appears Mrs Wollaston is not as nice as we were led to believe. So many reputations being ruined at the moment. A period of silence from some would be much appreciated.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Jobabob said:

She's a stalking horse
    if other candidates also stand that just weakens Eagle and strengthens Corbyn.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,545

After reading Sarah Wollaston's tweet this morning re Andrea Leadsom, it appears Mrs Wollaston is not as nice as we were led to believe. So many reputations being ruined at the moment. A period of silence from some would be much appreciated.

Dear Sarah,

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

love,

Sunil

:lol:
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

ToryJim said:

She is right, the transcript is very badly done. RS doesn't say "So it really keeps you focussed on what are you really saying", Leadsom says that.

It is also in answer to an original question by the journalist about the difference betwwen her and May. Just the difference, not which is better or worse.
  • Options
    It's all down to the unions. They can kill Labour off, or not ...
    https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/751757856051961856
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,105

What did she tweet?
    Don’t use twitter.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261

Jobabob said:

She's a stalking horse
    I could be reading this totally wrong but I think people are hinting at this idea that Corbyn will need 50 nominations to get on the ballot? He might not be able do that if there are several challengers.

Eagle therefore might be paving the way for someone else to win, her job is to trigger the process that keeps Corbyn off the ballot.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

She's a stalking horse

Jobabob said:

She's a stalking horse
    Not necessarily - depends on how they play it. The voting system is a run off, AV style system
  • Options

Dear Sarah,

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

love,

Sunil

Yawn
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The betting public seem to have decided that the Times article is a one day wonder. Andrea Leadsom is currently available to back on Betfair at 4.5 (and last traded at 4.6), only fractionally above the 4.3 that she was available for yesterday evening.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Jobabob said:

She's a stalking horse
    I could be reading this totally wrong but I think people are hinting at this idea that Corbyn will need 50 nominations to get on the ballot? He might not be able do that if there are several challengers.

Eagle therefore might be paving the way for someone else to win, her job is to trigger the process that keeps Corbyn off the ballot.
    No you are right but it's not clear whether or not he is automatically on the ballot. That's the crucible of the battle now.
  • Options

Don’t use twitter.
    Sound advice.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Jobabob said:

She's a stalking horse

I think the best course would be a single challenger with 150+ nominations. I think what Labour may come to regret is not twisting the arm of Hilary Benn.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

nunu said:

Jobabob said:

If he can......
    Depends. Most likely he won't need them, but that will be subject to necessarily challenge (based on the Kinnock precedent). If Watson has turned union votes, Corbyn may need nominations. If he needs nominations, he won't get enough.

Hope that's clear!
    Yes, thank you. Sounds like he won't need nominations in which case Labour are screwed.
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    Change in prediction: May was very likely to lose imho.

Now...well, Joe Vissarionovich could be assisting at the count.

"Ballot closes noon on 9 September. Votes will be counted electronically
    Members can vote by postal ballot or online"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36752865
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

The other decision that will have to be made is whether £3ers get a vote this time.

Aren't the rules written down?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023

What was the bet?

I went for sub 200 MPs.
    Ah. Mr Tissue Price is an adversary to be treated with considerable caution.
    I'm on +200 for this bet, TP has the jackpot at sub 100.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Time for Chuka?

I did contemplate writing a thread a few months ago headlined 'Chuka Can'

And I was also hopeful of a Chuka/Sadiq dream ticket, headline was 'Chuka Khan'
    Chuka, a rare anti Iraq War Blairite, can but only after Labour loses the 2020 election, he knows that too which is why he will not challenge Corbyn himself
    Chuka withdrew from the previous leadership contest for reasons which presumably still apply.
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

And Ms May is the CCHQ candidate.

Is there any role for the candidate teams at all? Can they witness the vote verification?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,821

What did she tweet?
    Don’t use twitter.
    In truth @andrealeadsom better suited to obscurity than high office

.@andrealeadsom has repeatedly shown that she lacks judgement & is not the right person to lead the nation. She should now withdraw

I agree with the first, but not the second......if Leadsom doesn't lose at the hands of the members we'll never hear the end of it.....
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

She's a stalking horse

Jobabob said:

She's a stalking horse
    Not necessarily - depends on how they play it. The voting system is a run off, AV style system
    Can we have an AV thread to go over the merits of that particular voting system. :)
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Dear Sarah,

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

love,

Sunil

A result that lead a lot of leavers to scurry for cover

Having won they should be out putting forward their view of the future, post leave

As a last second leaver I'm incredibly disappointed in the cowardice and ineptitude of the leave big names
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    edited July 2016

shiney2 said:

And Ms May is the CCHQ candidate.

Is there any role for the candidate teams at all? Can they witness the vote verification?
    Dunno, but if it doesn't become a issue of public accountability of its own accord then it will need to be pushed.

Who actually wants something that in extremis could be like DMail green/red arrow inversion to become accepted.
  • Options

What did she tweet?
    Don’t use twitter.
    In truth @andrealeadsom better suited to obscurity than high office

.@andrealeadsom has repeatedly shown that she lacks judgement & is not the right person to lead the nation. She should now withdraw

I agree with the first, but not the second......if Leadsom doesn't lose at the hands of the members we'll never hear the end of it.....
    Thanks Ms Vance; and agree with your view.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Is anyone else irked that Simon Danczuk is still suspended from Labour for legally (albeit ill judged) sending explicit texts to a 17 year old...

...yet Naz Shah circulates anti-semitic hate speech and is fast tracked back into the party. Pathetic.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2016
    Commentary on the women's final at Wimbledon will be provided by that well-known tennis expert and veteran grand slam player John Inverdale.
  • Options
    saddened said:

Dear Sarah,

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

love,

Sunil

Having won they should be out putting forward their view of the future, post leave

As a last second leaver I'm incredibly disappointed in the cowardice and ineptitude of the leave big names
    Johnson and Leadsom were the two Conservative LEAVE presenters on the TV debates.

Leadsom is standing in the final round for PM. No coward she.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Whilst the Leadsom transcripts are bad enough I've just heard the audio and it's worse.

Mrs JackW picked it up first and then I listened more carefully. It's the clear emphasis that Leadsom uses when she says :

"... But I have children .."

Earlier today I thought Leadsom was simply foolish and insensitive in the interview but regretfully it appears she was also distinctly mendacious.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,639
    The last Labour leadership election took four months and this one could well take longer depending on how heavily the process is disputed. That means there will be at least two months of opinion polling from early September with a new Conservative leader enjoying the usual polling honeymoon in the middle of a Labour leadership election.

So look forward to regular double digit Conservative opinion poll leads just as Corbyn is trying to fend off his challengers. If anything ought to make the Labour membership see sense, that should, but I doubt if it will.

• Options

saddened said:

Dear Sarah,

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

love,

Sunil

Johnson and Leadsom were the two Conservative LEAVE presenters on the TV debates.

Leadsom is standing in the final round for PM. No coward she.
    Ineptitude writ, large in the case of the mummy.

Where are the others?
  • Options
    JackW said:

Whilst the Leadsom transcripts are bad enough I've just heard the audio and it's worse.

Mrs JackW picked it up first and then I listened more carefully. It's the clear emphasis that Leadsom uses when she says :

Earlier today I thought Leadsom was simply foolish and insensitive in the interview but regretfully it appears she was also distinctly mendacious.

The emphasis is telling - Theresa may have nephews & nieces.....but they don't really count...
  • Options
    Leadsom is under attack from the establishment.

She is fighting back.

They don't like it up 'em.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,624

JackW said:

The emphasis is telling - Theresa may have nephews & nieces.....but they don't really count...
    #Emphasisgate
  • Options
    edited July 2016
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    kle4 said:

About time!

On both.

Eagle is probably doomed, but at least someone is making the attempt - after the no confidence vote, to not even attempt to remove Corbyn if he won't go voluntarily would be gutless. Understandable, given it is expected he would win a contest if he doesn't stand aside of his own accord, but still gutless.

I'm glad to see that Labour are following my seminal advice (as delivered to young @Jobabob) to have a stalking horse candidate.

Eagle will lay down her political life so that the "moderates" can truly gauge whether the Labour party is literally a lost cause. They need to be sure. Then they can decide whether a split is inevitable.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Out of curiosity - do you have a vote in the Tory leadership election?
  • Options
    The quotes used will encourage more Conservative members to vote for Leadsom than May.

Parody shoots itself in foot. :)
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    JackW said:

So having children is now a crime, it had to happen. That notorious hate site, Mumsnet, is living on borrowed time.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited July 2016
    Pauly said:

Is anyone else irked that Simon Danczuk is still suspended from Labour for legally (albeit ill judged) sending explicit texts to a 17 year old...

...yet Naz Shah circulates anti-semitic hate speech and is fast tracked back into the party. Pathetic.

Labour is an anti-Semitic party so anyone caught being anti-Semitic is treated leniently.
  • Options
    JackW said:

There's a video of Ms Leadsom's statement on the ITV website.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2016-07-09/andrea-leadsom-disgusted-by-times-article/
  • Options

JackW said:

So having children is now a crime, it had to happen. That notorious hate site, Mumsnet, is living on borrowed time.
    She said being a mother meant she was more invested in the future and so would be a better leader, implicitly, than May, despite saying she wasn't comparing them.
  • Options

JackW said:

Do you really not get what's wrong with what Leadsom said?

Even Leadsom does, that's why she tried to say that's not what she said.
  • Options
    Woolfe cut from 3.75 to 2.2 by PP. Hope we all got on :)
  • Options
    edited July 2016

She is fighting back.

Leadsom is as establishment as May, she just has less of it on her side as she has less experience. And being attacked doesn't make you right, you can be attacked justifiably.

The joy people have in declaring people anti-establishment is one of the most baffling things in politics I've ever seen. Remember Jeb Bush declaring himself an outsider?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,320
    Anyone on here attending a Conservative members events this weekend - surely lots of stuff should be happening at this time of year. Would be very helpful to see the results of any straw polls on the leadership contest.
  • Options
    If Leadsom wins, a slim possibility, but still possible, again the twitterati will be shocked, apalled, astonished - but HOW could this happen when twitter went mad over that awful interview? HOW could the Tories have elected this bigoted, Bible-bashing, incompetent, tea-lady dressed as director? They're bubbling themselves up with visceral hatred for someone totally inoffensive, and once again demonising their opponents rather than attempting to understand or even convince them. And if she wins, once again they won't accept the result, and once again they will actively hope, and do whatever they can (thankfully in most cases little) to ensure, that her time in office is a failure.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Pauly said:

Labour is an anti-Semitic party so anyone caught being anti-Semitic is treated leniently.
    Simon Danczuk is a clown of the first order whereas Naz Shah was just silly.
  • Options

If Leadsom wins, a slim possibility, but still possible, again the twitterati will be shocked, apalled, astonished - but HOW could this happen when twitter went mad over that awful interview? HOW could the Tories have elected this bigoted, Bible-bashing, incompetent, tea-lady dressed as director? They're bubbling themselves up with visceral hatred for someone totally inoffensive, and once again demonising their opponents rather than attempting to understand or even convince them. And if she wins, once again they won't accept the result, and once again they will actively hope, and do whatever they can (thankfully in most cases little) to ensure, that her time in office is a failure.

There would be 50 letters in and a new leadership election within a minutes. Except this time they'll split 100-100 between two acceptable candidates... :(
  • Options
    kle4 said:

She is fighting back.

Leadsom is as establishment as May, she just has less of it on her side as she has less experience. And being attacked doesn't make you right, you can be attacked justifiably.

The joy people have in declaring people anti-establishment is one of the most baffling things in politics I've ever seen. Remember Jeb Bush declaring himself an outsider?
    Whether or not the establishment is on your side is the determining factor of whether you are part of the establishment. A Trade Union leader could be an establishment figure; an earl could be an anti-establishment figure. A privileged background correlates strongly with being part of the establishment, but is not the same thing.
  • Options
    I'm sure she'll be providing a list of these loads shortly.
  • Options
    Pauly said:

There would be 50 letters in and a new leadership election within a minutes. Except this time they'll split 100-100 between two acceptable candidates... :(
    I don't think so.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Leadsom is under attack from the establishment. [snip]

As a member of the ruling party and Minister of State for Energy, she is the establishment. Leadsom’s problems are entirely self-inflicted, so in a rather odd way, you’re correct. :lol:
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    What a shambles....
  • Options
    kle4 said:

She is fighting back.

The leaders of the Conservative, Labour, Lib Dem, SNP and Green party were all against LEAVE. The Government was against LEAVE, the CBI was against LEAVE, the IMF was against LEAVE the leaders of the USA, Germany and France were against LEAVE.

May is the REMAIN candidate. Leadsom is the LEAVE candidate. Which is the establishment candidate?
  • Options

kle4 said:

She is fighting back.

Whether or not the establishment is on your side is the determining factor of whether you are part of the establishment. A Trade Union leader could be an establishment figure; an earl could be an anti-establishment figure. A privileged background correlates strongly with being part of the establishment, but is not the same thing.
    People use the term to mean whatever the hell they like - like mainstream media.

I automatically tune out talk of 'the establishment' being against someone, because 99 times out of 100 it will be a cynical tactic to appeal to people who want to feel they are fighting against 'the establishment' even though if the person wins, they will be just as much a part of it as anyone else.

Without meaning to be too harsh, I regard use of it to be, again 99 times out of 100, as pure political gibberish, and cynically exploitative as well.

Have a great day everyone.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

kle4 said:

She is fighting back.

The leaders of the Conservative, Labour, Lib Dem, SNP and Green party were all against LEAVE. The Government was against LEAVE, the CBI was against LEAVE, the IMF was against LEAVE the leaders of the USA, Germany and France were against LEAVE.

May is the REMAIN candidate. Leadsom is the LEAVE candidate. Which is the establishment candidate?
    Plenty of Leavers, MPs and Press, are on May's side now, and May is a Leaver now too.

There is no establishment candidate or they both are. People are looking for a hook to support Leadsom, and are trying to keep the Leave vs Remain fight going (see reference to Remainstream media from some idiots) when the fight now is who is the best option for PM and who has the best option for Brexit.

If people think that is Leadsom, fine, but it's not because she's anti establishment or because she is a Leaver. To label her the former would be a cynical PR exercise. The latter may be more relevant if one fears May won't execute Brexit or has the wrong Brexit plan.

If it matters I am a Leaver as well.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Anyone on here attending a Conservative members events this weekend - surely lots of stuff should be happening at this time of year. Would be very helpful to see the results of any straw polls on the leadership contest.

Not this weekend, was at one on Thursday sampled 15 people. 11 definitely May, 3 undecided but leaning May, 1 undecided not leaning either way. For clarity referendum wise they broke 13:2 Leave.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

It isn't about twitter going mad, it is about evidence piling up of thickness and incompetence. As to the other line you seem to be plugging about May being unnoticeable for 6 years at the H.O., I doubt Leadsom could run the H.O. for 6 weeks without coming to public notice, and not in a good way.

Storm in a tea cup though. The net effect of all this on the relevant electorate will be: Leadsom safe pair of hands on inheritance tax, May leaving it all to the dogs home anyway.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,330
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

She is fighting back.

People use the term to mean whatever the hell they like - like mainstream media.

I automatically tune out talk of 'the establishment' being against someone, because 99 times out of 100 it will be a cynical tactic to appeal to people who want to feel they are fighting against 'the establishment' even though if the person wins, they will be just as much a part of it as anyone else.

Without meaning to be too harsh, I regard use of it to be, again 99 times out of 100, as pure political gibberish, and cynically exploitative as well.

Quite right - 'anti-establishment' is just modish drivel used by mediocrities with no other selling point.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

She is fighting back.

I don't think you've been too harsh, I think you've just failed to understand the term. Have a great day too.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,559

The challenge is needed, if only to clarify that staying in the Labour party is a doomed cause for those who aspire to be in government.

What Eagle's announcement does is trigger the process. It may turn out that as part of that process the leader needs to get nominations too. If that is the case Corbyn is finished, as is the hard left in the Labour party.

If not, you are right. Labour will split into the national party and the PLP. That creates so many fascinating possibilities that it's had to know where to start.

You just have to hope that the Chicken Coup rebels actually have a plan for what they will do if/when Corbyn is re-elected by the membership. Surely, I think, they wouldn't put the party through all this without some kind of end game already mapped out. What sort of politician would go blindly into something without any strategy?

On leadership, what strikes me is how thin the 'qualifications' appear to be for serious consideration as a potential national leader, nowadays. Leadsom is up for PM solely because she managed to stand in a TV studio for forty minutes and come across as friendly and reasonably competent whilst remembering to say "take back control" every five minutes. Eagle is up for PM-in-waiting because she managed to get through a single PMQs and look marginally more clued up than Corbyn and marginally more human than Osborne.

It is enough to make me think of retiring somewhere warm and sunny.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    MikeL said:

Just an ad hoc meeting in the local CC car park while shopping earlier. 6 members, 2 undecided, 3 May, 1 Leadsom.
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/margaret-thatcher/9982157/Margaret-Thatcher-Yes-I-wish-I-saw-more-of-my-children.-But-I-cant-regret.html

Thatcher - “Any woman who understands the problems of running a home will be nearer to understanding the problems of running a country.”

Did this article generate outrage at the time?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Pauly said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/margaret-thatcher/9982157/Margaret-Thatcher-Yes-I-wish-I-saw-more-of-my-children.-But-I-cant-regret.html

Thatcher - “Any woman who understands the problems of running a home will be nearer to understanding the problems of running a country.”

Did this article generate outrage at the time?

The things that cause the outrage mob these days can for as little as putting your recycling in the wrong bin. We rarely have outrage over policy.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

MikeL said:

Not this weekend, was at one on Thursday sampled 15 people. 11 definitely May, 3 undecided but leaning May, 1 undecided not leaning either way. For clarity referendum wise they broke 13:2 Leave.
    13:2 in favour of leave? or against?
  • Options
  • Options

ToryJim said:

MikeL said:

13:2 in favour of leave? or against?
    In favour.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,559

The challenge is needed, if only to clarify that staying in the Labour party is a doomed cause for those who aspire to be in government.

What Eagle's announcement does is trigger the process. It may turn out that as part of that process the leader needs to get nominations too. If that is the case Corbyn is finished, as is the hard left in the Labour party.

If not, you are right. Labour will split into the national party and the PLP. That creates so many fascinating possibilities that it's had to know where to start.

So, the future of the Labour could be decided by the courts. Truly surreal. Somebody will have to rule on the automatic/not automatic status of Corbyn. Is it NEC? Or will it require a court?

Not sure, but I think it'll be the secretary general first off. His decision could be challenged to the NEC. Then it would go to the courts. However, there may be an issue about whether the courts are competent to judge in such a case as the Labour party could be seen as a private members club or association.

You're right that this 'strategy' does at least provide some explanation for why the rebels are going down this path. But what would be the consequences for the parliamentary party being seen to dethrone Corbyn using a legal loophole, and so effectively declare war on thousands of their own members and activists?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Sophie Ridge from Sky deleted one last night - I think she called her vile
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    edited July 2016
    No points to anyone who uses the word "renew" when discussing the nuclear weapons vote. What a propaganda word that is!

The British government paid more than £30 billion for the wars it lost in Iraq and Afghanistan, helping to kill hundreds of thousands of people and making 5 million people into refugees. Very profitable for some.

Now there will be a vote in the House of "Commons" on whether the same regime should spend at least £200 billion on contracts to spruce up its nuclear weapons systems, including paying for new submarines from which it can destroy foreign cities by firing US-made and US-serviced intercontinental missiles carrying nuclear warheads.

Meanwhile foodbanks proliferate in the home country.

How about saying NO?

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,019
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Interesting qualifying, although the stewards were too lax with track limits. Need to check the weather forecast for the race.
  • Options

I think you're confusing me with one of the loony tunes who support Leadsom. Isn't it enough that my MP - Peter Lilley is banging the drum for the new "Mother of the Nation".

• Options

There's a video of Ms Leadsom's statement on the ITV website.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2016-07-09/andrea-leadsom-disgusted-by-times-article/

Indeed so.

Who exactly is giving Leadsom media advice? .... Chris Grayling from Team May !!

This discussion has been closed.