Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » According to the betting markets this is a much tighter rac

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,127
    Thrak said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

This is why there is likely to be another vote (probably election rather than referendum)

https://twitter.com/spencelivermore/status/751417785960525825

The new vote would have to be on the leave proposal after negotiations, an election isn't enough as It confuses that decision with too many other factors. A simple question with a binary choice this time, this or stay.
    No, the choice would have to be this or nothing (WTO rules).
    You really want a general election on one question? Okay, if it has to be, then it has to be. We have to avoid a situation where people don't get a say on the actual proposals.
    I think ThreeQuidder's point was we can't force the EU into a position based on a referendum result.

"But we voted for EEA (or whatever) without freedom of movement"

"Tough...."
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,443
    Blue_rog said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

This is why there is likely to be another vote (probably election rather than referendum)

The new vote would have to be on the leave proposal after negotiations, an election isn't enough as It confuses that decision with too many other factors. A simple question with a binary choice this time, this or stay. The stupidity of a this or something else choice got us into this mess and having no vote at all would give us decades of the issue never having been settled and its accompanying political turmoil.
    Once article 50 is triggered we're on a one way street out. The EU have already stated that no substantive negotiations until Art 50 triggered.

If we trigger art 50 we're out so a referendum won't be about staying but rejoining - without the rebate and a commitment to join the Euro Schengen etc.
    According to the Lisbon Treaty, all EU members are required to commit to joining either the Common Travel Area or the Schengen Zone. I reckon we'd go for the CTA.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

Jason said:

One of the gutsiest performances I've ever seen on centre court. It's official - I'm now a Milos fan!

Amazingly he's the first Canadian man to reach a grand slam final.
    The first one representing Canada, anyway...
    Did Greg Rusedski reach a GS final?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    If we've any sense we should be planning everything around going to WTO MFN rules.

If we do better than that, great. I say that as someone who favours EEA. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Blue_rog said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

The new vote would have to be on the leave proposal after negotiations, an election isn't enough as It confuses that decision with too many other factors. A simple question with a binary choice this time, this or stay. The stupidity of a this or something else choice got us into this mess and having no vote at all would give us decades of the issue never having been settled and its accompanying political turmoil.
    Once article 50 is triggered we're on a one way street out. The EU have already stated that no substantive negotiations until Art 50 triggered.

If we trigger art 50 we're out so a referendum won't be about staying but rejoining - without the rebate and a commitment to join the Euro Schengen etc.
    According to the Lisbon Treaty, all EU members are required to commit to joining either the Common Travel Area or the Schengen Zone. I reckon we'd go for the CTA.
    Can we commit to join but never join? Similarly it'd be a shame if none of the Euro coin/notes templates arrived at the BoE ;)
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    RobD said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Thrak said:

The new vote would have to be on the leave proposal after negotiations, an election isn't enough as It confuses that decision with too many other factors. A simple question with a binary choice this time, this or stay.

It can't be that.

We can't stay if we have triggered Article 50, and we can't negotiate until we do.
    Then we're stuffed. These people really didn't think the nature of e vote through at all. Maybe a vote on whether to trigger article 50 then, with two actual proposals, stay or what we think we can get, rather then what we have versus pie in the sky. It's a total disaster the way the question was asked.
    Actually the question was quite clear, whether or not we should leave the EU. The result was we should, so we should.
    As I said, an idiotically formed question. We are now in no man's land, out but with no clue as to what that means.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    FF43 said:

Article 50 negotiations are with the European Council, which is the collective of the heads of state, run by Donald Tusk. While Tusk could probably set out a broad framework for discussions before Article 50 it is triggered it can't actually decide on anything until the heads of state get together in one room to hammer out what they are going to do.

Sure, but that isn't my point. You are describing the formal negotiations, but the real work will take place behind the scenes in government-to-government haggling. Much though it would like to, the EU bureaucrats can't stop the British ambassador in Berlin having a lunch with senior politicians in the German government.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ABC are now predicting 76 seats for the Coalition, 69 for Labour, 5 for Others as the final result in Australia. Flynn, Herbert, and Capricornia look like they'll fall the way of the Coalition, on the back of late votes.

Labor hold a 7 vote lead in Flynn at present:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/federal-election-2016/guide/flyn/
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,060
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Jason said:

One of the gutsiest performances I've ever seen on centre court. It's official - I'm now a Milos fan!

Yeah, The American Open in 1997 I think
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,077
    edited July 2016
    Sean_F said:

ABC are now predicting 76 seats for the Coalition, 69 for Labour, 5 for Others as the final result in Australia. Flynn, Herbert, and Capricornia look like they'll fall the way of the Coalition, on the back of late votes.

The australian media seemed to have a desperate collective desire for the coalition to fall short of a majority and failed to undertake correct analysis of previous postal patterns before calling "Flynn" (And others)

I wrote them an open letter about it.

http://ponyonthetories.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

AndyJS said:

Jason said:

If we let him win, do we get a free trade deal as a thankyou present?
    Greg Rusedski...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Jason said:

We could get a free trade deal by joining EFTA, and therefore getting theirs.
    Would we inherit previously agreed free trade deals? I'd be surprised given the relative size of the UK economy vs current EFTA members.
    Ohhh... good point.

An eight second skim of the agreement (http://www.efta.int/media/documents/legal-texts/free-trade-relations/canada/EFTA-Canada Free Trade Agreement EN.pdf) would suggest that we'd need to see the treaty adjusted.

But at least it already exists.
  • Options
    Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Thrak said:

It can't be that.

We can't stay if we have triggered Article 50, and we can't negotiate until we do.
    Then we're stuffed. These people really didn't think the nature of e vote through at all. Maybe a vote on whether to trigger article 50 then, with two actual proposals, stay or what we think we can get, rather then what we have versus pie in the sky. It's a total disaster the way the question was asked.
    Actually the question was quite clear, whether or not we should leave the EU. The result was we should, so we should.
    As I said, an idiotically formed question. We are now in no man's land, out but with no clue as to what that means.
    How else should it have been formed? Multiple answers simply gives an unfair advantage to the status quo.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Jason said:

We could get a free trade deal by joining EFTA, and therefore getting theirs.
    Would we inherit previously agreed free trade deals? I'd be surprised given the relative size of the UK economy vs current EFTA members.
    Ohhh... good point.

An eight second skim of the agreement (http://www.efta.int/media/documents/legal-texts/free-trade-relations/canada/EFTA-Canada Free Trade Agreement EN.pdf) would suggest that we'd need to see the treaty adjusted.

But at least it already exists.
    Additional Parties
    The Parties may invite any State to become a Party to this Agreement. The terms
    and conditions of the participation by the additional Party shall be the subject of an
    agreement between the Parties and the invited State.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

The australian media seemed to have a desperate collective desire for the coalition to fall short of a majority and failed to undertake correct analysis of previous postal patterns before calling "Flynn" (And others)

I wrote them an open letter about it.

http://ponyonthetories.blogspot.co.uk/
    There's a whole PhD worth of material on the media's behaviour to election/polling results :neutral:
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

This week's New Scientist is pretty upbeat about the effect of Brexit on the environment. It seems that the UK has been responsible for blocking or watering down many EU environmental regulations in recent years. Because of this, future EU environment laws are likely to be stronger without the input of the UK, but the UK will still have to abide by them in the event of a Norway-type arrangement.

Imagine the regression in animal welfare laws in the EU now that the Uk is out.

Cheap veal will be on the menu.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,750

surbiton said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

CD13 said:

Mr Cole,

At last. Become a Leaver, it does create a warm feeling and you can smile at the more extreme Remain reactions. Ah, diddums.

I don’t think I know anyone under 40 who voted Leave, and I know many of them are are distraught at the prospect of bringing back borders.
    It's clear that many people in their thirties did vote Leave (though still outnumbered by those

The only really big outliers seem to have been 18-24 year olds, and those aged 65+.
    Those few 18-24 year olds who got off their arses and voted, that .

(OK, so they may have had postal votes. But my point stands....they could be arsed to wield the pencil.)
    Certainly the young bear a heavy responsibility for the final result. their unwillingness to engage in the political process is so very depressing.
    I agree - I lThe only problem was that, come the day, they didn't get out there and bloody vote.

Had they done it and delivered the Lib Dems with possibly 100 seats, maybe just maybe they wouldn't have had to ditch the tuition fee pledge and the students would have benefited.

If only half of the students whthem in 2010 had actually VOTED then we wouldn't had embarked on our journey down the pan.

It's no coincidence that the Tories dish out cash to the old and stuff the young - old voters vote - young ones don't !
    "Why did Nick Clegg cross the street ? " - Ans: "Because he promised, he wouldn't."

So, it's the fault of the young voters then.

The Tuition Fee betrayal saved £1bn.

You may have noticed that after 6 year. It would have been £61bn otherwise.

"So, it's the fault of the young voters then" Frankly, Yes...what was the turnout of young voters in the referendum 35% or something like that ...Jeez it was the most important vote in a generation that was always going to affect them more than any other social group and 65% of them didn't vote !
    Indeed, they can have no complaints in that regard. I find it preposterous how some have genuinely said the result wasn't democratic because the views of old people will sway it. Now, maybe it's true old people don't have to live with the consequences as long, but that's no excuse for not turning out yourselves! Should we not allow people within 5 years of predicted life expectancy vote in General Elections.

If they didn't vote for this, when would they?!

Disclosure, I am under 30. And though I voted Leave, it's still enfuriating 18-24 year olds, most of whom would not agree with me, didn't bother.
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Blue_rog said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Can we commit to join but never join? Similarly it'd be a shame if none of the Euro coin/notes templates arrived at the BoE ;)
    Of course; Sweden has committed to join the Euro, but will (in all likelihood) never join. It wouldn't be popular in Sweden, and there's no legal or institutional framework for forcing the issue, even if the EU wanted to.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Thrak said:

It can't be that.

How else should it have been formed? Multiple answers simply gives an unfair advantage to the status quo.
    AV!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Thrak said:

It can't be that.

For most people it would have been:

a) The thing we have now that you probably don't understand.
    b) Another thing that you don't understand.
    c) This other thing that you don't understand either.

I just don't see how it could have been framed any differently.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,937

FF43 said:

Article 50 negotiations are with the European Council, which is the collective of the heads of state, run by Donald Tusk. While Tusk could probably set out a broad framework for discussions before Article 50 it is triggered it can't actually decide on anything until the heads of state get together in one room to hammer out what they are going to do.

Sure, but that isn't my point. You are describing the formal negotiations, but the real work will take place behind the scenes in government-to-government haggling. Much though it would like to, the EU bureaucrats can't stop the British ambassador in Berlin having a lunch with senior politicians in the German government.
    I think the pre-Article 50 haggling will identify the agendas of the various parties. But the collective response will only be hammered out after Article 50 is triggered - unless everyone is so much on the same page there aren't any major issues to resolve
  • Options
    RobD said:

Thrak said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

No, the choice would have to be this or nothing (WTO rules).
    You really want a general election on one question? Okay, if it has to be, then it has to be. We have to avoid a situation where people don't get a say on the actual proposals.
    I think ThreeQuidder's point was we can't force the EU into a position based on a referendum result.

"But we voted for EEA (or whatever) without freedom of movement"

"Tough...."
    That's absolutely right.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,560
    PlatoSaid said:

Indigo said:

DearPB said:

Jonathan said:

PlatoSaid said:

Have one side become so used to getting their way, that this is their first big loss?

It's quite a big loss. Unlike General Elections it's pretty much unreverseable and brings with it financial loss in the short to medium term at least.

Chuck into that the casual xenophobia of the leave campaign and the political mess of the aftermath and you can see why many are upset.
    Indeed this loss is a threat to the identity of many people; for those who identify with what they consider the values of being part of Europe, losing this times means their values and their outlook on the world have been forcibly stripped away.

In politics as usual your side losing doesn't threaten your identity - you hold on to your identity and try and win next time. That need to hold on to your identity can sometimes lead to electing strange leaders....

And that's an argument why Leadsom won't win. In power, Tories don't feel the need to bolster their identity by electing a parody of a Tory.
    The slow peeling away of our national decision making and law making and sending it to Brussels over the past 40 years has been a gradual grating loss of identity for many Leavers. Those that feel affinity for the EU, and the loss of it last week are just experiencing what many others have felt over the last four decades, compressed into a very short time frame.
    Funnily enough - for about 20ys I've increasingly felt stripped of my British identity. As a result of devolution/EU I've substituted being a Brit for Englishness. I even bought a 40ft flagpole and flew St George flag since then too. Post 23rd June - I want to embrace the Union Jack again.

It's a peculiar thing I didn't expect to feel.
    A 40ft flagpole? What do your neighbours think?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Jason said:

Yes, the US Open, it got him SPOTY IIRC.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Blue_rog said:

The EU have already stated that no substantive negotiations until Art 50 triggered..

Yeah, but that's tosh. What are they going to do if Mrs May says 'We need to sit down and talk because we are not going to be in a position to pull the Article 50 trigger until we've got heads of agreement'?

Anyway the negotiations aren't with the EU, much though Mr Juncker would like them to be.
    With the anger in Germany I'd be surprised if Mr Junker was still commission president in September when we have a new PM. The commission's insistence in enforcing the letter of the law on Maastricht deficit rules and the new BRRD is losing support among previous key backers. The Spanish, Portuguese, Italians and Germans are now opposed to him continuing in the position.

Someone wrote about it here before, if Mrs Merkel had listened to Dave the Brexit would never have been on the table. It's to their pity that they didn't take him seriously.
    I believe the only reason for the length of the Conservative Party leadership contest is to enable Juncker to go before Cameron :)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Thrak said:

It can't be that.

An actual proposal. We now are in a situation where there is nobody who can be held accountable, the main leavers have run away or have been/will be defeated, labour won't own it, a May led Conservative party won't own it.

Being where we now find ourselves, If we don't get a chance to vote on EEA, free movement or whatever, there will be hell to pay.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

This week's New Scientist is pretty upbeat about the effect of Brexit on the environment. It seems that the UK has been responsible for blocking or watering down many EU environmental regulations in recent years. Because of this, future EU environment laws are likely to be stronger without the input of the UK, but the UK will still have to abide by them in the event of a Norway-type arrangement.

What makes you think other EU countries are less concerned about animal welfare than the UK? Which EU laws do you think they'll repeal?
  • Options
    Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Thrak said:

It can't be that.

An actual proposal. We now are in a situation where there is nobody who can be held accountable, the main leavers have run away or have been/will be defeated, labour won't own it, a May led Conservative party won't own it.

Being where we now find ourselves, If we don't get a chance to vote on EEA, free movement or whatever, there will be hell to pay.

How can we have a proposal when no negotiations can start until Article 50?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Thrak said:

It can't be that.

AV!
    The only sensible way to decide anything, and the cure for all political ills.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Indigo said:

DearPB said:

Jonathan said:

PlatoSaid said:

Have one side become so used to getting their way, that this is their first big loss?

It's quite a big loss. Unlike General Elections it's pretty much unreverseable and brings with it financial loss in the short to medium term at least.

Chuck into that the casual xenophobia of the leave campaign and the political mess of the aftermath and you can see why many are upset.
    Indeed this loss is a threat to the identity of many people; for those who identify with what they consider the values of being part of Europe, losing this times means their values and their outlook on the world have been forcibly stripped away.

In politics as usual your side losing doesn't threaten your identity - you hold on to your identity and try and win next time. That need to hold on to your identity can sometimes lead to electing strange leaders....

And that's an argument why Leadsom won't win. In power, Tories don't feel the need to bolster their identity by electing a parody of a Tory.
    The slow peeling away of our national decision making and law making and sending it to Brussels over the past 40 years has been a gradual grating loss of identity for many Leavers. Those that feel affinity for the EU, and the loss of it last week are just experiencing what many others have felt over the last four decades, compressed into a very short time frame.
    Funnily enough - for about 20ys I've increasingly felt stripped of my British identity. As a result of devolution/EU I've substituted being a Brit for Englishness. I even bought a 40ft flagpole and flew St George flag since then too. Post 23rd June - I want to embrace the Union Jack again.

That Plato has a 40ft flagpole?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Thrak said:

It can't be that.

AV!
    The only sensible way to decide anything, and the cure for all political ills.
    I totally set that one up!
  • Options

TGOHF said:

What makes you think other EU countries are less concerned about animal welfare than the UK? Which EU laws do you think they'll repeal?
    THis is one area where I hope we can remain ahead of EU legislation outwith or within:

The UK was ahead of the EU on sow stall legislation, to give a specific example.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Thrak said:

It can't be that.

I was talking about the referendum, but the horse has already bolted on that one. Next time will have to be a proper binary choice rather than something definite versus something vague.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Thrak said:

It can't be that.

The problem with referendums. If you ask a stupid question ... or more precisely a binary. zero sum question stripped of any context.
  • Options
    Ummm: everyone, I'm probably going to upgrade the server to Ubuntu 16.04 at some point this weekend.

So, if you attempt to pull up the webpage and it isn't there, it was my fault.
  • Options
    Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Thrak said:

It can't be that.

I was talking about the referendum, but the horse has already bolted on that one. Next time will have to be a proper binary choice rather than something definite versus something vague.
    The proposal to stay in is easy, nothing changes, what about the proposal for leave? How are you to define that without knowing what the EU's position would be?
  • Options
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Indigo said:

My guess is that these pledges - solemnly made - will soon be seen as lies.

As might have been mentioned a few times at the time, none of the people that made those offers were or are in government. Mrs May is going to be PM, and she was for Remain. Do you usually believe pledges made by campaign groups ?

I wish the Tories the very best of luck with that argument - especially the Leave cabinet ministers.
    If more than 5% of voters remember anything significant said by anyone during this referendum campaign in a years time I will be very surprised. Most voters just are not that interested, if the economy is tolerable, if May can point as so reduced immigration figures, a few activists will jump up and down and post tweeter from Labour-leaning QCs, most almost no one else will give a crap.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:
    In the shock of the year the blue rinse brigade have a chance to elect a "proper" Conservative :p
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,945
    edited July 2016
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

THis is one area where I hope we can remain ahead of EU legislation outwith or within:

The UK was ahead of the EU on sow stall legislation, to give a specific example.
    Remember, though, that the EU laws are merely the lowest common denominator. Having lived there for 10 years, I'm sure that many animals in countries such as Germany are also kept in better conditions than EU law demands.

Anyway, my (and the New Scientist's) original point was that the UK has held back EU environmental legislation in recent years, and so future EU environmental legislation is likely to be stronger and, ultimately, will benefit animals as well as people.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

What makes you think other EU countries are less concerned about animal welfare than the UK?
    Ha ha - good one.

Chickens and pig rearing standards in the Uk far higher than the EU.

• Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

As might have been mentioned a few times at the time, none of the people that made those offers were or are in government. Mrs May is going to be PM, and she was for Remain. Do you usually believe pledges made by campaign groups ?

I wish the Tories the very best of luck with that argument - especially the Leave cabinet ministers.
    If more than 5% of voters remember anything significant said by anyone during this referendum campaign in a years time I will be very surprised. Most voters just are not that interested, if the economy is tolerable, if May can point as so reduced immigration figures, a few activists will jump up and down and post tweeter from Labour-leaning QCs, most almost no one else will give a crap.
    I'm inclined to agree. Brexit will probably lead to a decade of chronic under-performance rather than an acute shock that would really wake people up.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    I'm really hoping the negotiating team will have some cross-party aspect.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,057
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Yep - if everything is fine then the lies will be forgotten. If not, they won't be. It was ever thus.

• Options
    RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Thrak said:

It can't be that.

The proposal to stay in is easy, nothing changes, what about the proposal for leave? How are you to define that without knowing what the EU's position would be?
    I think there's a lot of desire to have one's cake and eat it. Vote Leave never actually guaranteed which option they preferred (it was clear that Boris fancied the EEA), based on campaign strategy advice. By plumping for one, the Remain campaign, hapless though it was, would have been able to pick away at it.

That's a political reason. The practical reason is as you say. We're resigning from a club. We can't just lay down the law to the other club members. "We're leaving, would like tariff-free access to the Single Market, with some curbs on FoM". "Fuck off". "Oh dear".
  • Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:
    I'm really hoping the negotiating team will have some cross-party aspect.
    Will both factions of the Labour party be involved ?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,257
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

£350m more per week for the NHS.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @cameronpenny: Disturbing to see Remainers favour a Leadsom win in order to keep Britain in the EU: https://t.co/RvHpY3XBjp #TM4PM who will deliver Brexit
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Thrak said:

It can't be that.

If there couldn't be a choice on what we were going to get then there shouldn't have been a referendum in the first place.

Clearly it will have to be WTO or whatever is negotiated now but it's like being given a choice of 'Do you want to be punched in the face or in the stomach?' At least people will have to face up to the reality of the situation.though.

• Options

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

The Battle bus didn't actually say that. It was a nasty bit of written sleight-of-hand.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Indigo said:

DearPB said:

Jonathan said:

PlatoSaid said:

I hadn't any.
  • Options
    John_M said:

The Battle bus didn't actually say that. It was a nasty bit of written sleight-of-hand.

The poster did

https://twitter.com/michaelpdeacon/status/747000584226607104
  • Options
    Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Thrak said:

It can't be that.

That would in effect be committing an elected government to policies written by a campaign group... suppose the political reality of the time is that the government couldn't get that set of policies through parliament.

The only workable position would be for the government to have come up with both the in and the out position as full formed policy decisions and then asked the voters to pick which they prefered. Seems a little unlikely politically speaking when the government did even go any contingency planning incase it showed that things would not be to bad, and that leaked and scotched their fearmongering.
  • Options
    Crisis what crisis?, we have beaten the Argies at their own game:

Bloomberg - Pound Overtakes Argentine Peso to Become 2016’s Worst Performer http://bloom.bg/29n0s5x

"That the pound surpassed the Argentine peso as the world’s worst performer is all the more remarkable given that the South American nation’s economy shrank in 2014 and that President Mauricio Macri has removed most of the currency controls that had been propping up the exchange rate. It’s only in December that the peso was devalued"

The wisdom in holidaying in Suffolk this year is vindicated.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    John_M said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

I don't think the "while it was strongly implied it was not logically explicit" argument will cut through on the doorstep somehow.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Yup. Rather unusually for a WWC midlander, my old, politically inactive dad doesn't really care about immigration. His main beef with the EU is what he perceives as money wasted on bureaucracy, and he, for one, is looking forward to the £350m NHS windfall from the money saved by leaving the EU.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,068
    I did say May should've picked Gove, and that not doing so may come back to haunt her.

If the site does go down over the weekend, I plan to put up the F1 stuff at normal times over at enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk. The only difference may be waiting until Sunday morning for the pre-race piece (although that's unlikely) if the race weather forecast looks uncertain.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Bloomberg - Pound Overtakes Argentine Peso to Become 2016’s Worst Performer http://bloom.bg/29n0s5x

"That the pound surpassed the Argentine peso as the world’s worst performer is all the more remarkable given that the South American nation’s economy shrank in 2014 and that President Mauricio Macri has removed most of the currency controls that had been propping up the exchange rate. It’s only in December that the peso was devalued"

If only we could beat them at football.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Thrak said:

It can't be that.

That would in effect be committing an elected government to policies written by a campaign group... suppose the political reality of the time is that the government couldn't get that set of policies through parliament.

The only workable position would be for the government to have come up with both the in and the out position as full formed policy decisions and then asked the voters to pick which they prefered. Seems a little unlikely politically speaking when the government did even go any contingency planning incase it showed that things would not be to bad, and that leaked and scotched their fearmongering.
    As it is, it is likely that the government will be made to own it, even though they don't agree with it. It's an absolute mess.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Thrak said:

It can't be that.

Every Leave minister will be asked about the delivery of the promises they made. Why is the government not spending £350 million a week extra on the NHS like you said it would might be one regular question.

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,124

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Remember, though, that the EU laws are merely the lowest common denominator. Having lived there for 10 years, I'm sure that many animals in countries such as Germany are also kept in better conditions than EU law demands.

Anyway, my (and the New Scientist's) original point was that the UK has held back EU environmental legislation in recent years, and so future EU environmental legislation is likely to be stronger and, ultimately, will benefit animals as well as people.
    Given that the UK has, for better or worse (and I of course would suggest worse), had far stronger laws to limit CO2 emissions than the rest of the EU and has had more success in cutting emissions I would suggest that your claims (and those of New Scientist) are mistaken. Even more so if one adds in the fact that the UK has unilaterally introduced the largest marine conservation areas in the world.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

John_M said:

The poster did
    Poor old Scott - still hasn't come to terms with the defeat or the fact it was a referendum not a general election campaign. And reduced to using Gordon Brown's strategy advisor to bolster his claims.

It's like watching Lewis Hamilton drive a Trabant.

• Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    AndyJS said:
    That is genuinely funny.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    Brexit to hit eurozone growth, says IMF
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36743862

The International Monetary Fund has cuts its economic growth forecasts for the eurozone in the wake of the UK's vote to leave the European Union.

The eurozone is expected to grow by 1.6% this year and 1.4% in 2017. Before the referendum the IMF had predicted growth of 1.7% for both years.

The IMF also revised down its 2018 growth forecast to 1.6% from 1.7%.

The revised 2017 figure was the IMF's "best case" scenario, assuming a deal was struck that allowed the UK to retain its access to the EU's single market, Mr Pradhan said.

However, if the UK decided not to maintain close ties with the EU and chose to rely on World Trade Organization rules, there could be "major disruptions," he said.

Mr Pradhan added it was "very, very early days to have any strong sense of confidence" about what the eventual relationship between the UK and EU would be.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Jason said:

I never quite understood why he was so eager to play for Britain rather than Canada.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    AndyJS said:
    If Labour were in government then they could have a say.

It does rather show that Jezza doesn't understand this election business and why it is worth trying to win them!
  • Options
    @PickardJE: About to break: Tata is in talks with German rival Thyssenkrupp about a joint venture for their European assets, including Port Talbot.

@rupertevelyn: BREAK: Port Talbot to stay with Tata but I understand 100 million pound cost cutting to follow. Expect job losses
  • Options

Indigo said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Thrak said:

It can't be that.

Every Leave minister will be asked about the delivery of the promises they made. Why is the government not spending £350 million a week extra on the NHS like you said it would might be one regular question.

If you can spot it in the 2015 Conservative manifesto you win a prize.

• Options

Worse than the Bolivar? That would be an achievement.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Indigo said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Thrak said:

It can't be that.

Good luck with that line :-)

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: About to break: Tata is in talks with German rival Thyssenkrupp about a joint venture for their European assets, including Port Talbot.

@rupertevelyn: BREAK: Port Talbot to stay with Tata but I understand 100 million pound cost cutting to follow. Expect job losses

So Brexit might have persuaded Tata to not cut and run?
  • Options

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Good luck getting anyone to care in a year's time never mind the election. It wasn't said by the government, and neither of the key people implicated in it are likely to be in government judging by recent events. People on here might remember, possibly might even care in a years time, the public won't.
  • Options
    Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Thrak said:

It can't be that.

If there couldn't be a choice on what we were going to get then there shouldn't have been a referendum in the first place.

Clearly it will have to be WTO or whatever is negotiated Now but it's like being given a choice of 'Do you want to be punched in the face or in the stomach?' At least people will have to face up to the reality of the situation.though.

We're probably never going to see eye to eye on this topic. One of the reasons the 2.8 million DNVers broke so heavily for leave is that they have no skin in the UK game. Saying they have to face up to reality is fine, but what do you mean?

To reiterate. Nearly half the households in this country have less than £1500 in savings. Almost half the population don't even holiday abroad. We're not a nation of share owners. Only 10 million people are even members of occupational pension schemes. A tenth of the workforce gets the minimum wage.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Michael White on Leadsom: Leadsom lacks experience, yet character and determination matter, too. Politics is sometimes about the bold seizing an opportunity, as Thatcher did in 1975. Tory activists, on whose stooped shoulders the burden of decision falls, may soon indulge themselves by electing another Jeremy Corbyn. There again, distasteful though you may think it, they may be picking another formidable Thatcher.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/08/andrea-leadsom-tories-another-formidable-thatcher-theresa-may
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

Scott_P said:

So Brexit might have persuaded Tata to not cut and run?
    The collapse of the £ is helping.

Now say thank you to Brexit.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Indigo said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Thrak said:

It can't be that.

How many votes do you think it will cost PM May in 2020 vs Corbyn ?

• Options
    Scott_P said:

John_M said:

The poster did

Ah. Never saw it. Very stupid of them, then :).
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Indigo said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Thrak said:

It can't be that.

The only workable position would be for the government to have come up with both the in and , and that leaked and scotched their fearmongering.

I think it very much depends on where the economy is and how voters are feeling generally.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,300
    Scott_P said:

John_M said:

The poster did

Everyone will just ask "who is that?"
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,068
    For those into history, reviewed an Alfred biography here:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/review-alfred-great-by-justin-pollard.html
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Pulpstar said:

surbiton said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

CD13 said:

Mr Cole,

I know the feeling. That comes with switching from Labour to LD in 1997. The LDs never win anything. I gave up on them last time and abstained by voting Ukip. We held the labour majority to 20,000 but everyone around here voted Leave in the referendum.

At last. Become a Leaver, it does create a warm feeling and you can smile at the more extreme Remain reactions. Ah, diddums.

I don’t think I know anyone under 40 who voted Leave, and I know many of them are are distraught at the prospect of bringing back borders
    It's clear that many people in their thirties did vote Leave (though still outnumbered by those who voted Remain). 41/42 seems to be the tipping point at which a majority of people switched to Leave.

The only really big outliers seem to have been 18-24 year olds, and those aged 65+.
    Those few 18-24 year olds who got off their arses and voted, that is. Unlike the arthritic army, waiting on new hips and knees, who crawled to the polling station anyway.

(OK, so they may have had postal votes. But my point stands....they could be arsed to wield the pencil.)
    Certainly the young bear a heavy responsibility for the final result. their unwillingness to engage in the political process is so very depressing.
    I agree - I look back to 2010 with the Lib Dems around 25% to 30% in the polls and young voters in particular looking forward to a world without tuition fees. The only problem was that, come the day, they didn't get out there and bloody vote.

Had they done it and delivered the Lib Dems with possibly 100 seats, maybe just maybe they wouldn't have had to ditch the tuition fee pledge and the students would have benefited.

If only half of the students who claimed that they had been betrayed by the Lib Dems after voting for them in 2010 had actually VOTED then we wouldn't had embarked on our journey down the pan.

It's no coincidence that the Tories dish out cash to the old and stuff the young - old voters vote - young ones don't !
    "Why did Nick Clegg cross the street ? " - Ans: "Because he promised, he wouldn't."

So, it's the fault of the young voters then.

The Tuition Fee betrayal saved £1bn.

You may have noticed that after 6 years, this week the Tories have dumped their policy of a balanced budget.

They are still borrowing £60bn a year. It would have been £61bn otherwise.

Whether you're for or against, tuition fees are absolubte chicken feed compared to the costs of Brexit/Iraq.
    You are right. That SoB, Bliar, a neo-con, should rot in Abu Ghraib.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Your dreaming, but it if makes you happy I wont stop you. The public won't care. If you tell them on the doorstep they will shrug, tell you its old news, and wonder why you are surprised about politicians lying, Dave lied through his teeth for year and years and he did fine. They might also mention WW3, £4300 a year, and refugee camps in Kent, and the end of western civilisation, if you are unlucky ;)
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,346
    edited July 2016
    Wanderer said:
    Well they were warned weren't they.

They had every chance to keep Leadsom off the ballot and didn't take it.

Carbon copy of Labour MPs and Corbyn.

So no surprise if the activists again choose the person who they love but is at the same time unelectable. They may think that doesn't matter as she'll beat Corbyn but if Labour get a decent leader it's blindingly obvious that May would be far stronger at the next GE.

I guess the only difference is that if this happens, Con MPs have the option of removing Leadsom in a straight MPs vote and if they do so she is 100% out.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Indigo said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Thrak said:

It can't be that.

The only workable position would be for the government to have come up with both the in and , and that leaked and scotched their fearmongering.

I think it very much depends on where the economy is and how voters are feeling generally.

They will blame PM May for not delivering on a policy she didn't promise ? :

Optimistic.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,997
    Scott_P said:

hmm

a JV just means theyll close the british plants and move production to Germany.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

So no surprise if the activists again choose the person who they love but is at the same time unelectable. They may think that doesn't matter as she'll beat Corbyn but if Labour get a decent leader it's blindingly obvious that May would be far stronger at the next GE

I don't think it's obvious at all. May is not a proven campaigner and Leadsom is likely to win a large chunk of the UKIP vote (and would-be UKIP switchers from Labour) which will provide a buffer in many marginals.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    TGOHF said:

Optimistic.

In that case we don't need to Leave the EU!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Given that the UK has, for better or worse (and I of course would suggest worse), had far stronger laws to limit CO2 emissions than the rest of the EU and has had more success in cutting emissions I would suggest that your claims (and those of New Scientist) are mistaken. Even more so if one adds in the fact that the UK has unilaterally introduced the largest marine conservation areas in the world.
    You'll forgive me if I place more credence in the opinions of the New Scientist than I do in yours.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Tried to reduce post length so it would post but that's my comment beneath that looks like it' quoted!
    Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Thrak said:

It can't be that.

The proposal to stay in is easy, nothing changes, what about the proposal
    We're probably never going to see eye to eye on this topic. One of the reasons the 2.8 million DNVers broke so heavily for leave is that they have no skin in the UK game. Saying they have to face up to reality is fine, but what do you mean?

To reiterate. Nearly half the households in this country have less than £1500 in savings. Almost half the population don't even holiday abroad. We're not a nation of share owners. Only 10 million people are even members of occupational pension schemes. A tenth of the workforce gets the minimum wage.
    Because otherwise they, and others, will go back to blaming everyone else and that they didn't vote for this. Give people a choice, yes, but make sure that they also have the opportunity to remain engaged.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

In 2010 Dave promised to reduce immigration to 10's of thousands, he produced a Contract with Britain promising it, and telling us to kick him out if he didn't do it. He spectacularly failed to do it, and got re-elected with a majority.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Indigo said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

RobD said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Thrak said:

It can't be that.

Optimistic.

Doesn't that feel nice :wink:
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,346
    Any plans for YouGov to do another Con members survey now that it's down to the Final 2.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

That's bull. The reason its worse performing this year is precisely because December is LAST YEAR. If you take a 12 month comparison or longer that includes the most recent devaluation the peso performs much, much worse *rolleyes*

"Sterling doing worse than devalued currency if you only look at after the devaluation" shocker.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

hmm

Tata owns two steel mills. Thyssenkrupp is interested in the Netherlands one because it is profitable, in the EU and uses their technology, unlike the Welsh plant. From what I read
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Jason said:

I never quite understood why he was so eager to play for Britain rather than Canada.
    His mother was born here, I guess that's why?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,257
    Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

In 2010 Dave promised to reduce immigration to 10's of thousands, he produced a Contract with Britain promising it, and telling us to kick him out if he didn't do it. He spectacularly failed to do it, and got re-elected with a majority.
    Actually, IIRC the Tories did quite badly in areas with problems with immigration. It’s just that the votes didn’t turn into UKIP seats. Meanwhile his people turned their fire on their erstwhile partners and Labour were comprehensively done over by the SNP.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

You'll forgive me if I place more credence in the opinions of the New Scientist than I do in yours.
    From the World Bank data on CO2 emissions per capita: http://databank.worldbank.org/data/reports.aspx?source=2&series=EN.ATM.CO2E.PC&country=#
    China	149%
    India 48%
    Russia 19%
    Poland 7%
    Austria 0%
    Nethrld -3%
    Japan -3%
    Austrl -4%
    Greece -11%
    Germany -12%
    France -13%
    Switz -15%
    Italy -15%
    USA -16%
    Canada -19%
    Belgium -21%
    UK -23%
    Prtugal -23%
    Denmark -25%
    Ireland -27%
    Change 2011 vs 2000
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,997
    FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

hmm

Tata owns two steel mills. Thyssenkrupp is interested in the Netherlands one because it is profitable, in the EU and uses their technology, unlike the Welsh plant. From what I read
    The former Hoogovens plant at Ijmuiden is too expensive to close.

Asset strip the UK because its easier
  • Options

That's bull. The reason its worse performing this year is precisely because December is LAST YEAR. If you take a 12 month comparison or longer that includes the most recent devaluation the peso performs much, much worse *rolleyes*

"Sterling doing worse than devalued currency if you only look at after the devaluation" shocker.
    Bloody Argies and their gamesmanship!

I wonder if we can beat them over the next six months.
This discussion has been closed.