Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » According to the betting markets this is a much tighter rac

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Simon Jenkins — "Ignore the prophets of doom. Brexit will be good for Britain
    A stale leadership class is on the way out and the property bubble will burst. I can’t see the bad news"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/06/brexit-britain-property-bubble
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    I am bit surprised by the opinions in Sweden and Finland whereas Denmark comes across as very Anglophile.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Sean_F said:

CD13 said:

Mr Cole,

I know the feeling. That comes with switching from Labour to LD in 1997. The LDs never win anything. I gave up on them last time and abstained by voting Ukip. We held the labour majority to 20,000 but everyone around here voted Leave in the referendum.

At last. Become a Leaver, it does create a warm feeling and you can smile at the more extreme Remain reactions. Ah, diddums.

I don’t think I know anyone under 40 who voted Leave, and I know many of them are are distraught at the prospect of bringing back borders.
    It's clear that many people in their thirties did vote Leave (though still outnumbered by those who voted Remain). 41/42 seems to be the tipping point at which a majority of people switched to Leave.

The only really big outliers seem to have been 18-24 year olds, and those aged 65+.
    Those few 18-24 year olds who got off their arses and voted, that is. Unlike the arthritic army, waiting on new hips and knees, who crawled to the polling station anyway.

(OK, so they may have had postal votes. But my point stands....they could be arsed to wield the pencil.)
    Certainly the young bear a heavy responsibility for the final result. their unwillingness to engage in the political process is so very depressing.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    'Generous' ?

Loaded question which, curiously enough ,was used as a term in the European Social Study regarding refugees.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Ally_B said:

Meanwhile in the REAL world.

Just before the referendum the £ was trading at 6.0 to the Malaysian Ringett, today it is 5.22. That means I get 15% less money every time I use an ATM to withdraw cash. Whilst for those living in the UK the £ in your pocket may appear to be the same, for those of us who live abroad for all or (in my case) part of the year are already suffering.

I live abroad but happily all my money is in Philippine Pesos, which unusually is worth about 15% more pounds than it was a couple of weeks ago, it's not every day I can say that! Supporting my family in the UK just got rather easier ;)
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

SeanT said:

Anyway, back to the whole What's the best champagne to pour over your girlfriend's nipples question....

Avoid verve cliquot (known as the widow). And probably Mumms as well!

The was a very funny story (not at the time) that happened to a friend of mine.

He was head over in heels with a lovely girl who finally threw him over for another man Naturally he was heartbroken and didn't attend the wedding but shortly afterwards saw sense so ordered a crate of champagne for her - and knowing she wanted children really badly requesrlted Mumms with a nice note saying "I hope you soon become one"

Unfortunately the shop ran out of Mumms so decided to substitute...
    My sister works for LVMH and we get a very steady supply of Dom, I find other champagne undrinkable.
    Dom's not my thing

I do love Giesler but since they stopped shipping it I can't really be bothered to organise a van to epernee. Ruinart is good, as is Salon, but I usually stick to Verve or Tat for everyday drinking.

To be honest, though, I'd rather have a nice white
    Agreed; I've never really understood the appeal of champagne.

Which right minded individual would choose a glass of champagne over a nice glass of Puligny Montrachet?
    It's a good breakfast drink. I'd rather a nice bottle of Ruinart than most other options. It would be the wrong time of day for a burgundy.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    rcs1000 said:

Which right minded individual would choose a glass of champagne over a nice glass of Puligny Montrachet?

A right-minded individual would choose Champagne for the apéritif and a nice glass of Puligny Montrachet to accompany the sea bass.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    In short, there is no centre.

The centre has been shown to be as potentially pernicious and destructive as right or left.

Look at Tony Blair

He epitomises 'the centre'
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,443

rcs1000 said:

A right-minded individual would choose Champagne for the apéritif and a nice glass of Puligny Montrachet to accompany the sea bass.
    I wasn't planning on drinking today, but you may have pushed me over the edge :)
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    nunu said:

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Good afternoon all.
    To show how much I think of Ms May I've put £100 on Andrea, the peoples hope.

God bless people like you. They make informed punters' lives a joy.
    And it's people like you that get it wrong on the big important things in life, and seeing the world through Westminster colours specs. Oh and by the way, if you remember I won £600 on Palin being chosen VP. I've got those same vibes for Leadsome.
    You just killed her chances. Lol.
    Lol - it also may mean the Conservatives end up with 100 MPs like UKIP last time :)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,109
    felix said:

Sean_F said:

John_M said:

MTimT said:

Even in an age of ridiculousness there is something preposterous about the sight of so many prominent Leavers clutching their pearls in horror as they contemplate the possibility – the real possibility – that Andrea Leadsom could become the next leader of the Conservative party and, by golly, Prime Minister too.

I mean, where do they think she came from? Who created her? Mrs Leadsom’s credentials to occupy the highest political office in the land come down to one single fact: she is the most virulently eurosceptic candidate available. That’s a powerful thing, however, and those Leavers who think their creation can be safely kept in the laboratory may yet have cause to regret their complacency. Because it’s not as easy as that. Sometimes things escape.
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/07/brexit-encouraged-eruption-nasty-tawdry-nativism-anyone-surprised/

Even in the age of ridiculousness, this is a truly ridiculous article.

This whole campaign and post referendum is extraordinary in how it has peeled back the patina of rationality to expose raw emotions on both sides of the issue, regardless of political party.

Makes me wonder whether we were overdue such a political bloodletting.
    It's by Alex Massie. His referendum coverage has hardly covered him in glory. His article post-Jo Cox was disgusting. I read him because we all need to avoid living in a bubble where we only read things we agree with. I do find him very hard to take.
    As Raphael Behr said, the vote punctured the prevailing belief among both Conservative and Labour politicians that there is a natural centrist, liberal, majority among the electorate. Alex Massie still hasn't come to terms with that.
    I'm not sure that the centre has shifted so very far - too early to tell. The referendum certainly gave the voters a chance to kick the establishment very hard. I find it hard to understand because living in Spain my perspective is very skewed. Viewed from afar Britain since 2008 has done extraordinarily well - I accept there are areas of deprivation where some have done less well, but the British standard of living is so much better than most people enjoy here - it is difficult not to say the British should be counting their blessings.
    I think we and the Spanish are coming from very different places. As Robert pointed out earlier today, they emerged from a fascist dictatorship in recent times. We've never experienced such a thing. They see the EU as the guarantor of their liberties; we see the EU as removing them.
  • Options

nunu said:

Cicero said:

Seems quite bizarre that after a referendum where Leave were demanding greater control in the hands of the UK Parliament that the first action of the post Brexit vote PM would be to deny that sovereign Parliament any say in the critical decision and issue the article 50 letter as an order in council. is there anything in the Leave campaign that has not been proven totally false in the last few days? It seems to me that Bremorse is now so total that any referendum rerun would see Remain win by a landslide. So it would be a very foolhardy PM who takes the disastrous referendum result as the last word on the subject...

You live in Islington don't you.
    No, he lives in Tallinn, I believe. Wonderful city, my wife's hometown, but I wouldn't place too high a value on its residents' view of British politics.
    FWIW, I have been to Tallinn. I don't think I met your wife.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,079
    Jonathan said:

The problem of the political centre are hinted at by its name. The definition of the centre depends on what other are doing

Whilst the Labour party heads off in a Corbynite direction of it's own, perpendicular to the direction of travel of UKIP and the Tories, who are occupied by Europe, it is impossible to define a coherent and meaningful position between the two.

Nick Clegg I think is quite close to the liberal political centre. But I'm under no illusions it pretty much is a wilderness here !
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

nunu said:

AndyJS said:

Just caught up with the international news to find America heading towards civil war.

yes, thats what I thought... Trump now can't win surely?
    Why not? If the situation is so bad after 8 years of Obama, why would people vote for continuity?

I've always seen the black demographic black vote for Hillary as one of her main weak spots. When she's forced to justify why she deserves those votes, what can she say?
    Yeah but Brexit won counterintuitivley because we had stability and low and falling unemployment and a recovering economy. People thought OK we have stability now is the time for change. If it looks like there will be instability in America people will latch on to the no change option for fear of something worse. There might be some white americans who have mortgages and who were toying with voting Trump and see that the pound plunged after Brexit and look at the instability at home and in the world and think "Nope", now is not the time to vote for a revolution.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,750
    MTimT said:

FF43 said:

Patrick said:

FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

Especially for those Leavers who want to kill all the lawyers:

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/751386785670987776

Looks like a recipe for political-legal limbo to me :o

Can the EU box be shut now it has been opened ?
    I don't understand this excitement about having Parliament triggering Article 50. The PM decides when to trigger. Parliament votes on it with the democratic justification, arguably the democratic imperative, of the referendum. Then the countdown begins and we Brexit.

Am I missing something?
    Err...Yes. The gorilla in the corner is that Parliament might not approve it. Now that WOULD be a constitutional crisis. A PM can trigger by sending a letter to Brussels on Royal Prerogative - with the referendum as mandate. That's what the Brexiters want (Gove etc) because they fear the 'empire strikes back' from the establishment. The Remainiacs all want a vote - because they're hoping Parliament will put the plebs back in their box. So...it's just a tad touchy whether we do or don't seek a vote on it.
    Yes I can see parliament hypothetically could vote against Brexit despite being requested to do so in general by the referendum and on the particular by the government. That unlikely event would undoubtedly trigger a cstands.

Even in an election won by a party with a manifesto for remain, it would be problematic to remain unless that party won in excess of 50% of the popular vote, given the referendum result.
    Perfect, in that case we'd have to have another referendum to decide to switch to PR so that if we were to get a Remainer parliament it would be because 50% of the people voted for it.

But then what about those MPs who don't agree with their party line on the issue, as there will be some. Argh, it's a nightmare.

In all seriousness, I don't think, were we to have a quick GE before we declared article 50 which is looking increasingly unlikely, that Labour would stand on a platform of remaining, meaning only the LDs might - but if they were in any sort of position to win a majority, then it would be because public opinion was so strongly for Remain that Labour probably would stand on a remaining platform, so overall remain would have 50%.

Obviously not going to happen, no one thinks it likely.

Quite honestly,though unlikely I can envisage a situation where people might think it justified to ask the public again - but it is that much harder on top of that to envisage a path to actually doing so succeeding to the point of the public being asked, and even that reasking working.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,493
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Good afternoon all.
    To show how much I think of Ms May I've put £100 on Andrea, the peoples hope.

God bless people like you. They make informed punters' lives a joy.
    And it's people like you that get it wrong on the big important things in life, and seeing the world through Westminster colours specs. Oh and by the way, if you remember I won £600 on Palin being chosen VP. I've got those same vibes for Leadsome.
    I consistently said that the odds for Remain / Leave were nuts. Likewise, I tipped Trump and Cruz way before the majority of the commentariat took either seriously. I won't list all the predictions I've got right but I don't think I've done badly over the years. Certainly in betting terms I'm well up.

But it comes down to reasoning. You say you've bet on Leadsom (no final 'E', by the way), "to show how much I think of Ms May". That's fan-punting, not informed analysis.

I'm not ruling out a Leadsom win but I think it's unlikely and the current odds favour May. They should be somewhere around 9/1.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,057
    felix said:

Sean_F said:

John_M said:

MTimT said:

Even in an age of ridiculousness there is something preposterous about the sight of so many prominent Leavers clutching their pearls in horror as they contemplate the possibility – the real possibility – that Andrea Leadsom could become the next leader of the Conservative party and, by golly, Prime Minister too.

I mean, where do they think she came from? Who created her? Mrs Leadsom’s credentials to occupy the highest political office in the land come down to one single fact: she is the most virulently eurosceptic candidate available. That’s a powerful thing, however, and those Leavers who think their creation can be safely kept in the laboratory may yet have cause to regret their complacency. Because it’s not as easy as that. Sometimes things escape.
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/07/brexit-encouraged-eruption-nasty-tawdry-nativism-anyone-surprised/

This whole campaign and post referendum is extraordinary in how it has peeled back the patina of rationality to expose raw emotions on both sides of the issue, regardless of political party.

It's by Alex Massie. His referendum coverage has hardly covered him in glory. His article post-Jo Cox was disgusting. I read him because we all need to avoid living in a bubble where we only read things we agree with. I do find him very hard to take.
    As Raphael Behr said, the vote punctured the prevailing belief among both Conservative and Labour politicians that there is a natural centrist, liberal, majority among the electorate. Alex Massie still hasn't come to terms with that.
    I'm not sure that the centre has shifted so very far - too early to tell. The referendum certainly gave the voters a chance to kick the establishment very hard. I find it hard to understand because living in Spain my perspective is very skewed. Viewed from afar Britain since 2008 has done extraordinarily well - I accept there are areas of deprivation where some have done less well, but the British standard of living is so much better than most people enjoy here - it is difficult not to say the British should be counting their blessings.

If the centre did not exist, Leave would not have promised to give the NHS £350 million a week.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,949
    edited July 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

The problem of the political centre are hinted at by its name. The definition of the centre depends on what other are doing

Whilst the Labour party heads off in a Corbynite direction of it's own, perpendicular to the direction of travel of UKIP and the Tories, who are occupied by Europe, it is impossible to define a coherent and meaningful position between the two.

Nick Clegg I think is quite close to the liberal political centre. But I'm under no illusions it pretty much is a wilderness here !
    The centre is presently undefined. Take Europe. There once was an axis between Eurosceptics and those supporting Euro entry. The centre was somewhere in the middle.

That centre is gone. It's over. There will be a new spectrum of engagement with Europe. It is currently undefined. I suspect it will stretch from full isolationism/jingoistic nationalism to EU re-entry.

The economic axis is equally messy. Social Liberalism pretty much won outright.

There currently is no centre.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,998

@Alanbrooke Not at all. It was the Leavers who insisted that this was all part of Project Fear.

Still, I'm sure they'll blame the government's poor negotiating when Britain comes away with a dismal deal.

It never ceases to amaze me how you know all the motivations of people who voted leave
  • Options
    MTimT said:

FF43 said:

Patrick said:

FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't understand this excitement about having Parliament triggering Article 50. The PM decides when to trigger. Parliament votes on it with the democratic justification, arguably the democratic imperative, of the referendum. Then the countdown begins and we Brexit.

Am I missing something?
    Err...Yes. The gorilla in the corner is that Parliament might not approve it. Now that WOULD be a constitutional crisis. A PM can trigger by sending a letter to Brussels on Royal Prerogative - with the referendum as mandate. That's what the Brexiters want (Gove etc) because they fear the 'empire strikes back' from the establishment. The Remainiacs all want a vote - because they're hoping Parliament will put the plebs back in their box. So...it's just a tad touchy whether we do or don't seek a vote on it.
    Yes I can see parliament hypothetically could vote against Brexit despite being requested to do so in general by the referendum and on the particular by the government. That unlikely event would undoubtedly trigger a constitutional crisis, but I not I think a legal one.

Personally I think Leave was a dumb decision, but I believe strongly in a democracy that allows us to make dumb decisions. Barring a formal change of mind, which probably means at least an election on a manifesto where that change of mind was included, the referendum decision stands.

Even in an election won by a party with a manifesto for remain, it would be problematic to remain unless that party won in excess of 50% of the popular vote, given the referendum result.
    No. It would not. In our "constitution", a General Election result [ in seats ] is binding whereas a referendum result is only a moral instruction. In any case, since the GE is afterwards, it effectively overrides the referendum.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,562
    nunu said:

nunu said:

AndyJS said:

Just caught up with the international news to find America heading towards civil war.

Why not? If the situation is so bad after 8 years of Obama, why would people vote for continuity?

I've always seen the black demographic black vote for Hillary as one of her main weak spots. When she's forced to justify why she deserves those votes, what can she say?
    Yeah but Brexit won counterintuitivley because we had stability and low and falling unemployment and a recovering economy. People thought OK we have stability now is the time for change. If it looks like there will be instability in America people will latch on to the no change option for fear of something worse. There might be some white americans who have mortgages and who were toying with voting Trump and see that the pound plunged after Brexit and look at the instability at home and in the world and think "Nope", now is not the time to vote for a revolution.
    That's a good point but it think it's a mistake to conflate the forces driving the Brexit victory too closely with the Trump phenomenon.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    CD13 said:

Mr Cole

"I don’t think I know anyone under 40 who voted Leave, and I know many of them are distraught at the prospect of bringing back borders."

Kids, eh? They know less than John Snow.

Who's John Snow?

Jon?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,068
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Federer into five sets again.
  • Options

@Alanbrooke Not at all. It was the Leavers who insisted that this was all part of Project Fear.

Still, I'm sure they'll blame the government's poor negotiating when Britain comes away with a dismal deal.

It never ceases to amaze me how you know all the motivations of people who voted leave
    It is very easy to recognise the "fruitcakes, ............"
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    MTimT said:

CD13 said:

Mr Cole

"I don’t think I know anyone under 40 who voted Leave, and I know many of them are distraught at the prospect of bringing back borders."

Kids, eh? They know less than John Snow.

Who's John Snow?

Jon?
    Oh come on! John Snow, TV journalist, first of his name, Kingindanorf. He's extremely versatile :).
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    For Trekkies out there, Netflix has added Star Trek TV series in the UK. They've got TNG in HD!
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited July 2016
  • Options
    nunu said:

nunu said:

Cicero said:

Seems quite bizarre that after a referendum where Leave were demanding greater control in the hands of the UK Parliament that the first action of the post Brexit vote PM would be to deny that sovereign Parliament any say in the critical decision and issue the article 50 letter as an order in council. is there anything in the Leave campaign that has not been proven totally false in the last few days? It seems to me that Bremorse is now so total that any referendum rerun would see Remain win by a landslide. So it would be a very foolhardy PM who takes the disastrous referendum result as the last word on the subject...

You live in Islington don't you.
    No, he lives in Tallinn, I believe. Wonderful city, my wife's hometown, but I wouldn't place too high a value on its residents' view of British politics.
    Interesting.....

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Tallinn&client=firefox-b-ab&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj-gLeYj-TNAhWDBsAKHe4CAVQQ_AUICSgC&biw=1408&bih=672#tbm=isch&q=tallinn+nightlife&imgrc=CxLoN3Xry4NcTM:
    Wow! I am astounded by how few men and older women are in Talinn.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    MaxPB said:

For Trekkies out there, Netflix has added Star Trek TV series in the UK. They've got TNG in HD!

How? It was recorded on NTSC video which is 525 scalines, interlaced. Not HD in any way.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,998
    surbiton said:

It is very easy to recognise the "fruitcakes, ............"
    really how ?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    This is also interesting - hope Alastair hasn't scooped me this time!

http://www.euractiv.com/section/euro-finance/news/meps-demand-increases-to-the-eu-budget-renew-calls-for-own-resources/?nl_ref=16337325

Talk of a direct business tax and FTT to fund the budget.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,931
    MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

John_M said:

MTimT said:

Didn't it expose the electorate as 26% socialist Eurosceptic, 48% liberal centrist Eurotolerant, and 26% libertarian Eurosceptic?

I'm in the 26% :)
    So am I.

Oh, sorry - you meant THAT 26%! :-)

P.S. We're not bad at cycling in this free country of ours.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

MaxPB said:

How? It was recorded on NTSC video which is 525 scalines, interlaced. Not HD in any way.
    It was recorded on celluloid like most US TV shows but the CGI was done on tape but that was all redone for Blu-ray releases.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

If you watch four episodes simultaneously, you get 1,050 lines of content!
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:
    I particularly liked this comment:

John Traynor
    13 hrs ago

A very insincere blog that follows one of several standard methodologies of criticising support for a genuine alternative to capitalist exploitation
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,127
    edited July 2016

MaxPB said:

It was recorded on 35mm film, which I think is more than suitable for HD. Only the special effects had to be remastered.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:
    We're seeing it in a lot of places. Even PB has become markedly less pleasant. People just aren't as prepared to see both sides of an argument any longer.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    This is why there is likely to be another vote (probably election rather than referendum)

https://twitter.com/spencelivermore/status/751417785960525825
  • Options
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:
    We're seeing it in a lot of places. Even PB has become markedly less pleasant. People just aren't as prepared to see both sides of an argument any longer.
    It's much more pleasant on here now the vote has come and gone :D
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,361
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

SeanT said:

Anyway, back to the whole What's the best champagne to pour over your girlfriend's nipples question....

Avoid verve cliquot (known as the widow). And probably Mumms as well!

The was a very funny story (not at the time) that happened to a friend of mine.

He was head over in heels with a lovely girl who finally threw him over for another man Naturally he was heartbroken and didn't attend the wedding but shortly afterwards saw sense so ordered a crate of champagne for her - and knowing she wanted children really badly requesrlted Mumms with a nice note saying "I hope you soon become one"

Unfortunately the shop ran out of Mumms so decided to substitute...
    My sister works for LVMH and we get a very steady supply of Dom, I find other champagne undrinkable.
    Dom's not my thing

I do love Giesler but since they stopped shipping it I can't really be bothered to organise a van to epernee. Ruinart is good, as is Salon, but I usually stick to Verve or Tat for everyday drinking.

To be honest, though, I'd rather have a nice white
    Prosecco is every bit as good as most champagnes , much better value but does not have the snob rating some people seem to have with champagne ( not meaning yourself Charles ). Boasting about champagne is usually for men with little tadgers and inferiority complexes trying to boost their ego's.
  • Options
    Amazing stuff on centre court. Win or lose, Raonic is brilliant.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,307
    Federer in trouble in the fifth set....
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MTimT said:

FF43 said:

Patrick said:

FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

Am I missing something?
    Yes I can see parliament hypothetically could vote against Brexit despite being requested to do so in general by the referendum and on the particular by the government. That unlikely event would undoubtedly trigger a constitutional crisis, but I not I think a legal one.

Personally I think Leave was a dumb decision, but I believe strongly in a democracy that allows us to make dumb decisions. Barring a formal change of mind, which probably means at least an election on a manifesto where that change of mind was included, the referendum decision stands.

No. It would not. In our "constitution", a General Election result [ in seats ] is binding whereas a referendum result is only a moral instruction. In any case, since the GE is afterwards, it effectively overrides the referendum.
    I think that is very complacent and legalistic thinking. But, by all means, if you wish to let discontent fester and explode, proceed that route.
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    felix said:

Sean_F said:

John_M said:

MTimT said:

This whole campaign and post referendum is extraordinary in how it has peeled back the patina of rationality to expose raw emotions on both sides of
    Arrogance - there are times where an inflated view of your importance can be useful. This was not that time. Those people saying 'we can do this now, we can do that now', it's naive in the extreme. If we have a pragmatic new PM then we might escape with something short of awful, but the idea of an unknown, 'everything will be okay' person at the helm is frightening. Those people who voted is into this mess and who are now doubling down by supporting Leadsom have lost all touch with reality.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:
    Funny you should say that, but I left PB a couple of years ago because I thought it was becoming insufferably unpleasant. Now I'm back, and it seems much more agreeable than I remember.

This place was always a running gun battle, glossed with a thin patina of panpartisan civility at least until after the lagershed.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,493

nunu said:

AndyJS said:

She won't be. If anyone was going to challenge her for those votes it would have been Sanders; it certainly won't be Trump.

It's something of a mystery frankly why Sanders *didn't* compete more strongly for the votes of African Americans which the system clearly works against. On education, crime (except gun control) and in general support for the underdog, he had a strong message yet never really got it through.

Hillary may have a problem getting the black vote out (vis a vis Obama anyway), but those that do will be more overwhelmingly for her than for anyone in recent years.
  • Options
    John_M said:

http://www.euractiv.com/section/euro-finance/news/meps-demand-increases-to-the-eu-budget-renew-calls-for-own-resources/?nl_ref=16337325

It's one of the reasons why Osborne got such a good reception for his "London = No. 1" press event/letter. The rumour of a FTT came to us early on Tuesday and was basically confirmed yesterday.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,750
    Scott_P said:

This is why there is likely to be another vote (probably election rather than referendum)

That's an argument why it is considered a good idea for another vote of some kind - personally I don't think that makes it likely there will be one in any form, even if it is a good idea, because of the politics. May, if she wins, could say a GE or referendum should confirm the decision or the particular deal she makes for Brexit because an asteroid will hit the earth if we don't, and she still couldn't get it through parliament.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:
    I particularly liked this comment:

John Traynor
    13 hrs ago

A very insincere blog that follows one of several standard methodologies of criticising support for a genuine alternative to capitalist exploitation
    My goodness. Have seen such wondrous prose since the fall of the Communist Empire.
  • Options

MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

John_M said:

MTimT said:

Didn't it expose the electorate as 26% socialist Eurosceptic, 48% liberal centrist Eurotolerant, and 26% libertarian Eurosceptic?

I'm in the 26% :)
    So am I.

Oh, sorry - you meant THAT 26%! :-)

P.S. We're not bad at cycling in this free country of ours.
    :)
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

John_M said:

MTimT said:

The centre ground is the new wilderness I think ! Can feel it in my bones :/
    The post-War liberal ascendancy is crumbling. UKIP, Trump and this referendum to get rid of the EU are all testament to that. It makes me sad as someone who thinks liberalism is better than all other political ideas. We haven't done a good job of selling the benefits of liberalism and we have made a bad job of protecting people from the downsides of globalisation.
    and far too many illiberal but expedient measures have been sold as the liberal solution to a disbelieving public, giving liberalism a bad name.

Not helped by having a major political party that should more correctly be called the Illiberal Statists ;)
  • Options
    felix said:

Sean_F said:

CD13 said:

Mr Cole,

I know the feeling. That comes with switching from Labour to LD in 1997. The LDs never win anything. I gave up on them last time and abstained by voting Ukip. We held the labour majority to 20,000 but everyone around here voted Leave in the referendum.

At last. Become a Leaver, it does create a warm feeling and you can smile at the more extreme Remain reactions. Ah, diddums.

I don’t think I know anyone under 40 who voted Leave, and I know many of them are are distraught at the prospect of bringing back borders.
    It's clear that many people in their thirties did vote Leave (though still outnumbered by those who voted Remain). 41/42 seems to be the tipping point at which a majority of people switched to Leave.

The only really big outliers seem to have been 18-24 year olds, and those aged 65+.
    Those few 18-24 year olds who got off their arses and voted, that is. Unlike the arthritic army, waiting on new hips and knees, who crawled to the polling station anyway.

(OK, so they may have had postal votes. But my point stands....they could be arsed to wield the pencil.)
    Certainly the young bear a heavy responsibility for the final result. their unwillingness to engage in the political process is so very depressing.
    I agree - I look back to 2010 with the Lib Dems around 25% to 30% in the polls and young voters in particular looking forward to a world without tuition fees. The only problem was that, come the day, they didn't get out there and bloody vote.

Had they done it and delivered the Lib Dems with possibly 100 seats, maybe just maybe they wouldn't have had to ditch the tuition fee pledge and the students would have benefited.

If only half of the students who claimed that they had been betrayed by the Lib Dems after voting for them in 2010 had actually VOTED then we wouldn't had embarked on our journey down the pan.

It's no coincidence that the Tories dish out cash to the old and stuff the young - old voters vote - young ones don't !
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Scott_P said:

The Lords really are more civilized aren't they? The follow on speeches from his remarks are quite powerful.

He's still using that dodgy way of talking about the economy though. Not a good look.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

John_M said:

It's one of the reasons why Osborne got such a good reception for his "London = No. 1" press event/letter. The rumour of a FTT came to us early on Tuesday and was basically confirmed yesterday.
    Thanks Max. I knew there was no budget carryover, but I hadn't appreciated that they were looking at a €50 billion shortfall by 2020. They've elided the entire 2016 Youth unemployment scheme. That's a very strange decision.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,938
    kle4 said:

By two to one, the French and Germans don't feel that the EU should be generous towards Britain in negotiations:

http://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/751420686732763136

There's plenty of good reasons they would not want to be punitive toward us, but equally reasons they do not want to in actuality or perception be too generous on us

Savvy negotiations will be needed from us to secure a good deal.
    I don't think the rEU will aim to punish us. They think we are doing that to ourselves already. We will find negotiating from the outside will be a much tougher gig than what we are used to as members of the organisation. Members are essentially in the same boat. Everyone wants to something from the negotiations so the deal is crafted to ensure everyone gets one thing they want.

Now everyone will want something from Britain: Germany, the ability to sell cars; Spain, maybe the fish; Malta, perhaps preferential treatment for higher education; Poland, access for workers; France our finance industry and so on. Each of those countries has a say on on Britain getting a deal. You want us to vote on an extension to Article 50? Not a problem, here's our price. You want us to agree to EEA? Fine. Could we have these things, please.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The new vote would have to be on the leave proposal after negotiations, an election isn't enough as It confuses that decision with too many other factors. A simple question with a binary choice this time, this or stay. The stupidity of a this or something else choice got us into this mess and having no vote at all would give us decades of the issue never having been settled and its accompanying political turmoil.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

kle4 said:

By two to one, the French and Germans don't feel that the EU should be generous towards Britain in negotiations:

http://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/751420686732763136

There's plenty of good reasons they would not want to be punitive toward us, but equally reasons they do not want to in actuality or perception be too generous on us

Savvy negotiations will be needed from us to secure a good deal.
    I don't think the rEU will aim to punish us. They think we are doing that to ourselves already. We will find negotiating from the outside will be a much tougher gig than what we are used to as members of the organisation. Members are essentially in the same boat. Everyone wants to something from the negotiations so the deal is crafted to ensure everyone gets one thing they want.

Now everyone will want something from Britain: Germany, the ability to sell cars; Spain, maybe the fish; Malta, perhaps preferential treatment for higher education; Poland, access for workers; France our finance industry and so on. Each of those countries has a say on on Britain getting a deal. You want us to vote on an extension to Article 50? Not a problem, here's our price. You want us to agree to EEA? Fine. Could we have these things, please.
    Spot on. Despite what Leavers think, we have not got too many cards to play with.
  • Options
    DearPB said:

Jonathan said:

PlatoSaid said:

Have one side become so used to getting their way, that this is their first big loss?

It's quite a big loss. Unlike General Elections it's pretty much unreverseable and brings with it financial loss in the short to medium term at least.

Chuck into that the casual xenophobia of the leave campaign and the political mess of the aftermath and you can see why many are upset.
    Indeed this loss is a threat to the identity of many people; for those who identify with what they consider the values of being part of Europe, losing this times means their values and their outlook on the world have been forcibly stripped away.

In politics as usual your side losing doesn't threaten your identity - you hold on to your identity and try and win next time. That need to hold on to your identity can sometimes lead to electing strange leaders....

And that's an argument why Leadsom won't win. In power, Tories don't feel the need to bolster their identity by electing a parody of a Tory.
    The slow peeling away of our national decision making and law making and sending it to Brussels over the past 40 years has been a gradual grating loss of identity for many Leavers. Those that feel affinity for the EU, and the loss of it last week are just experiencing what many others have felt over the last four decades, compressed into a very short time frame.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:
    Funny you should say that, but I left PB a couple of years ago because I thought it was becoming insufferably unpleasant. Now I'm back, and it seems much more agreeable than I remember.

This place was always a running gun battle, glossed with a thin patina of panpartisan civility at least until after the lagershed.
    Agreed. There's no doubt that it's a far, far nicer place than when I left a year or two ago. In those days, there were one or two frequent posters whose behaviour was borderline criminal (death wishes, threats of violence, racism).

Thankfully those people have gone (I assume banned forever). I think the people on here are on the whole pretty sterling folk. I disagree with many vehemently but the debate, while robust, is usually maintained in the right spirit.

It's a pretty intelligent forum, and still has great moments of humour and wit. Long may it continue!

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Amazing stuff on centre court. Win or lose, Raonic is brilliant.

He's nearly 10 years younger than Federer.
  • Options

My guess is that these pledges - solemnly made - will soon be seen as lies.

As might have been mentioned a few times at the time, none of the people that made those offers were or are in government. Mrs May is going to be PM, and she was for Remain. Do you usually believe pledges made by campaign groups ?

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited July 2016
    Indigo said:

DearPB said:

Jonathan said:

PlatoSaid said:

Have one side become so used to getting their way, that this is their first big loss?

It's quite a big loss. Unlike General Elections it's pretty much unreverseable and brings with it financial loss in the short to medium term at least.

Chuck into that the casual xenophobia of the leave campaign and the political mess of the aftermath and you can see why many are upset.
    Indeed this loss is a threat to the identity of many people; for those who identify with what they consider the values of being part of Europe, losing this times means their values and their outlook on the world have been forcibly stripped away.

In politics as usual your side losing doesn't threaten your identity - you hold on to your identity and try and win next time. That need to hold on to your identity can sometimes lead to electing strange leaders....

And that's an argument why Leadsom won't win. In power, Tories don't feel the need to bolster their identity by electing a parody of a Tory.
    The slow peeling away of our national decision making and law making and sending it to Brussels over the past 40 years has been a gradual grating loss of identity for many Leavers. Those that feel affinity for the EU, and the loss of it last week are just experiencing what many others have felt over the last four decades, compressed into a very short time frame.
    Funnily enough - for about 20ys I've increasingly felt stripped of my British identity. As a result of devolution/EU I've substituted being a Brit for Englishness. I even bought a 40ft flagpole and flew St George flag since then too. Post 23rd June - I want to embrace the Union Jack again.

It's a peculiar thing I didn't expect to feel.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    The Spencer Livermore who advised Gordo throughout his term in no's 11 and 10.

File under crap..
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Raonic defeats Federer 6:4 6:7 4:6 7:5 6:3
  • Options
    JackW said:

His composure was amazing. Really impressed.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    One of the gutsiest performances I've ever seen on centre court. It's official - I'm now a Milos fan!
  • Options

felix said:

Sean_F said:

CD13 said:

Mr Cole,

I agree - I look back to 2010 with the Lib Dems around 25% to 30% in the polls and young voters in particular looking forward to a world without tuition fees. The only problem was that, come the day, they didn't get out there and bloody vote.

Had they done it and delivered the Lib Dems with possibly 100 seats, maybe just maybe they wouldn't have had to ditch the tuition fee pledge and the students would have benefited.

If only half of the students who claimed that they had been betrayed by the Lib Dems after voting for them in 2010 had actually VOTED then we wouldn't had embarked on our journey down the pan.

It's no coincidence that the Tories dish out cash to the old and stuff the young - old voters vote - young ones don't !
    "Why did Nick Clegg cross the street ? " - Ans: "Because he promised, he wouldn't."

So, it's the fault of the young voters then.

The Tuition Fee betrayal saved £1bn.

You may have noticed that after 6 years, this week the Tories have dumped their policy of a balanced budget.

They are still borrowing £60bn a year. It would have been £61bn otherwise.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Thrak said:

The new vote would have to be on the leave proposal after negotiations, an election isn't enough as It confuses that decision with too many other factors. A simple question with a binary choice this time, this or stay.

It can't be that.

We can't stay if we have triggered Article 50, and we can't negotiate until we do.
  • Options
    Jason said:

One of the gutsiest performances I've ever seen on centre court. It's official - I'm now a Milos fan!

Amazingly he's the first Canadian man to reach a grand slam final.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

The new vote would have to be on the leave proposal after negotiations, an election isn't enough as It confuses that decision with too many other factors. A simple question with a binary choice this time, this or stay. The stupidity of a this or something else choice got us into this mess and having no vote at all would give us decades of the issue never having been settled and its accompanying political turmoil.
    Once article 50 is triggered we're on a one way street out. The EU have already stated that no substantive negotiations until Art 50 triggered.

If we trigger art 50 we're out so a referendum won't be about staying but rejoining - without the rebate and a commitment to join the Euro Schengen etc.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @SouthamObserver

'My guess is that these pledges - solemnly made - will soon be seen as lies.'

Just like Sadiq Khan then ,maybe we should have a re-run of the London mayoral as he clearly lied about his fares freeze.

Less than two months for the lies to surface,must be a record.

Sadiq Khan accused of breaking London fare freeze ... - The Guardian
    www.theguardian.com › Politics › Sadiq Khan
    8 Jun 2016 - London mayor, who had pledged residents 'won't pay a penny more' for travel, says fares freeze applies only to single journeys.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

CD13 said:

Mr Cole,

"Why did Nick Clegg cross the street ? " - Ans: "Because he promised, he wouldn't."

You may have noticed that after 6 years, this week the Tories have dumped their policy of a balanced budget.

That's £1bn less to slash from your beloved NHS. Tuition fees are easily justifiable since it is basically a middle-class subsidy.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,061
    JackW said:

The Fed's trainer has bailed out - Charlie Falconer resigns.
  • Options
    Lost some money having bet 3-2 on roger, but don't really mind - Milos looks class. He'll give Murray run for his money!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Blue_rog said:

The EU have already stated that no substantive negotiations until Art 50 triggered..

Yeah, but that's tosh. What are they going to do if Mrs May says 'We need to sit down and talk because the UK will not be in a position to pull the Article 50 trigger until we've got heads of agreement'?

Anyway the negotiations aren't with the EU, much though Mr Juncker would like them to be.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Thrak said:

The new vote would have to be on the leave proposal after negotiations, an election isn't enough as It confuses that decision with too many other factors. A simple question with a binary choice this time, this or stay.

It can't be that.

We can't stay if we have triggered Article 50, and we can't negotiate until we do.
    Then we're stuffed. These people really didn't think the nature of e vote through at all. Maybe a vote on whether to trigger article 50 then, with two actual proposals, stay or what we think we can get, rather then what we have versus pie in the sky. It's a total disaster the way the question was asked.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

CD13 said:

Mr Cole,

"So, it's the fault of the young voters then" Frankly, Yes...what was the turnout of young voters in the referendum 35% or something like that ...Jeez it was the most important vote in a generation that was always going to affect them more than any other social group and 65% of them didn't vote !
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Berdych is at 20 on Betfair for the tournament. With three men left in. Isn't that crazy?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,931
    AndyJS said:

Jason said:

If we let him win, do we get a free trade deal as a thankyou present?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

CD13 said:

Mr Cole,

"So, it's the fault of the young voters then" Frankly, Yes...what was the turnout of young voters in the referendum 35% or something like that ...Jeez it was the most important vote in a generation that was always going to affect them more than any other social group and 65% of them didn't vote !
  • Options
    Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

No, the choice would have to be this or nothing (WTO rules).
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

CD13 said:

Mr Cole,

That's £1bn less to slash from your beloved NHS. Tuition fees are easily justifiable since it is basically a middle-class subsidy.
    I agree...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,079
    surbiton said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

CD13 said:

Mr Cole,

Whether you're for or against, tuition fees are absolubte chicken feed compared to the costs of Brexit/Iraq.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Thrak said:

It can't be that.

Then we're stuffed. These people really didn't think the nature of e vote through at all. Maybe a vote on whether to trigger article 50 then, with two actual proposals, stay or what we think we can get, rather then what we have versus pie in the sky. It's a total disaster the way the question was asked.
    Actually the question was quite clear, whether or not we should leave the EU. The result was we should, so we should.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Jason said:

The first one representing Canada, anyway...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,269

Berdych is at 20 on Betfair for the tournament. With three men left in. Isn't that crazy?

Betting with their hearts, not their heads!
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@SouthamObserver

Just like Sadiq Khan then ,maybe we should have a re-run of the London mayoral as he clearly lied about his fares freeze.

8 Jun 2016 - London mayor, who had pledged residents 'won't pay a penny more' for travel, says fares freeze applies only to single journeys.

Absolutely. If you make pledges and then break them you can expect to be held to account. Nobody is going to forget that extra £350 million a week extra for the NHS.

It may be one reason why the Tories might want to think long and hard about making Andrea Leadsom the PM.

• Options

AndyJS said:

Jason said:

We could get a free trade deal by joining EFTA, and therefore getting theirs.
  • Options

Blue_rog said:

The EU have already stated that no substantive negotiations until Art 50 triggered..

Yeah, but that's tosh. What are they going to do if Mrs May says 'We need to sit down and talk because we are not going to be in a position to pull the Article 50 trigger until we've got heads of agreement'?

Anyway the negotiations aren't with the EU, much though Mr Juncker would like them to be.
    With the anger in Germany I'd be surprised if Mr Junker was still commission president in September when we have a new PM. The commission's insistence in enforcing the letter of the law on Maastricht deficit rules and the new BRRD is losing support among previous key backers. The Spanish, Portuguese, Italians and Germans are now opposed to him continuing in the position.

Someone wrote about it here before, if Mrs Merkel had listened to Dave the Brexit would never have been on the table. It's to their pity that they didn't take him seriously.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,109
    ABC are now predicting 76 seats for the Coalition, 69 for Labour, 5 for Others as the final result in Australia. Flynn, Herbert, and Capricornia look like they'll fall the way of the Coalition, on the back of late votes.
  • Options

john_zims said:

@SouthamObserver

Absolutely. If you make pledges and then break them you can expect to be held to account. Nobody is going to forget that extra £350 million a week extra for the NHS.

It may be one reason why the Tories might want to think long and hard about making Andrea Leadsom the PM.

This totally unbiased poster agrees with you :D
  • Options

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

No, the choice would have to be this or nothing (WTO rules).
    You really want a general election on one question? Okay, if it has to be, then it has to be. We have to avoid a situation where people don't get a say on the actual proposals.
  • Options
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,938
    edited July 2016

Blue_rog said:

Yeah, but that's tosh. What are they going to do if Mrs May says 'We need to sit down and talk because the UK will not be in a position to pull the Article 50 trigger until we've got heads of agreement'?

Article 50 negotiations are with the European Council, which is the collective of the heads of state government, run by Donald Tusk. While Tusk could probably set out a broad framework for discussions before Article 50 it is triggered it can't actually decide on anything until the heads of state get together in one room to hammer out what they are going to do.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

My guess is that these pledges - solemnly made - will soon be seen as lies.

As might have been mentioned a few times at the time, none of the people that made those offers were or are in government. Mrs May is going to be PM, and she was for Remain. Do you usually believe pledges made by campaign groups ?

I wish the Tories the very best of luck with that argument - especially the Leave cabinet ministers.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Jason said:

We could get a free trade deal by joining EFTA, and therefore getting theirs.
    Would we inherit previously agreed free trade deals? I'd be surprised given the relative size of the UK economy vs current EFTA members.
  • Options
    This week's New Scientist is pretty upbeat about the effect of Brexit on the environment. It seems that the UK has been responsible for blocking or watering down many EU environmental regulations in recent years. Because of this, future EU environment laws are likely to be stronger without the input of the UK, but the UK will still have to abide by them in the event of a Norway-type arrangement.
  • Options

Betting with their hearts, not their heads!
    Surely Berdych at 20s is value? He's only 6-8 down HTH v Murray and and 2-4 v Raonic.
  • Options
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited July 2016
    Blue_rog said:

Thrak said:

Scott_P said:

Once article 50 is triggered we're on a one way street out. The EU have already stated that no substantive negotiations until Art 50 triggered.

If we trigger art 50 we're out so a referendum won't be about staying but rejoining - without the rebate and a commitment to join the Euro Schengen etc.
    In effect the choice would be to accept the agreement or leave with no agreement i.e. WTO. We could not rejoin until we had first left.
This discussion has been closed.