Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » According to the betting markets this is a much tighter rac

SystemSystem Posts: 11,723
edited July 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » According to the betting markets this is a much tighter race than at the start of previous CON membership ballots

Until the 2001 CON leadership race the final decision was taken by MPs and there was no role for the members. So if the current battle had been held under pre-2001 rules Theresa May would now be moving into Downing Street.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 441
    First! Never thought I'd be saying that as a very occasional poster.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

That MAY be quite an achievement
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Charles said:

That MAY be quite an achievement
    Oh Leadsdom off.
  • Options
    DearPBDearPB Posts: 439
    I'm not sure how relevant past contests really are in assessing this one. In 2001 it was the first time the membership had a say, the fear of us joining the Euro was still very present (a Clarke victory might have emboldened Blair), and the favourite (Portillo) was kept off the ballot.

In 2005, we arrived at this point having already had potential Leaders make their pitch to the membership at Party conference, and with campaigns running from the moment Howard announced he would be standing down. i.e. this point in the 2005 race was already 3 months in, not two weeks in.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Anyway, back to the whole What's the best champagne to pour over your girlfriend's nipples question....

Whichever bottle your wife is least likely to notice is missing.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Dumb and Dumber.

Wannabe Prime Minister Andrea Leadsom thinks all websites should be rated – just like movies

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07/08/leadsom_thinks_websites_should_be_rated/
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Eight Long Weeks. Great. Thanks a lot chaps. Suspect it's going to be a battle between Gray and Tiresom and the end of it.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    Mr. Hopkins, indeed, that's a damned fool policy if ever there were one.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    SeanT said:

Anyway, back to the whole What's the best champagne to pour over your girlfriend's nipples question....

Well you could blindfold her first, then compare Champagne with Tesco Sparkling Water, and see which she prefers.

• Options

Dumb and Dumber.

Wannabe Prime Minister Andrea Leadsom thinks all websites should be rated – just like movies

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07/08/leadsom_thinks_websites_should_be_rated/

She appears to believe that once you've 'published' a website it stays the same forever!
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,070

Dumb and Dumber.

We've all had that sense of disappointment when you go to a website believing it to be an 18 and then it turns out to be a tepid 12A. Who can argue with giving consumers more information?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

SeanT said:

Well you could blindfold her first, then compare Champagne with Tesco Sparkling Water, and see which she prefers.

17p for 2litres. I buy a lot of it - not so much Pol Roger.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

17p for 2litres. I buy a lot of it - not so much Pol Roger.
    Can you tell the difference..? :lol:
  • Options
    DearPB said:

Dumb and Dumber.

She appears to believe that once you've 'published' a website it stays the same forever!
    and to think she wanted to reduce red tape and regulation
  • Options
    Enjoyed this from Ben McIntyre re Iraq intelligence and Our Man In Havana

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/mi6-must-learn-how-to-tell-a-spy-from-a-fantasist-5b9hsznnh
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,872
    I think there was an @AlastairMeeks thread a little while back on the lines that Conservative successors are elected on the basis of what they are not, in terms of their predecessors traits. I have to say, it's not immediately apparent to me that this is at the forefront of anyone's thinking for either May or Leadsome.

Just perhaps something to be thankful for?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Congratulations, but sometimes lurkers have the edge

RobD in the mornings is hard to beat at the First Game!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    SeanT said:

Avoid verve cliquot (known as the widow). And probably Mumms as well!

The was a very funny story (not at the time) that happened to a friend of mine.

He was head over in heels with a lovely girl who finally threw him over for another man Naturally he was heartbroken and didn't attend the wedding but shortly afterwards saw sense so ordered a crate of champagne for her - and knowing she wanted children really badly requesrlted Mumms with a nice note saying "I hope you soon become one"

Unfortunately the shop ran out of Mumms so decided to substitute...
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

I think there was an @AlastairMeeks thread a little while back on the lines that Conservative successors are elected on the basis of what they are not, in terms of their predecessors traits. I have to say, it's not immediately apparent to me that this is at the forefront of anyone's thinking for either May or Leadsome.

Largely because we wanted to keep what we had.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

SeanT said:

The best best booze/sex combo I've ever seen is Leaving Las Vegas in the motel with Elizabeth Shue, Nicholas Cage and a large amount of bourbon.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @Pro_Rata This was that thread:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/04/28/choosing-camerons-successor-the-process-and-the-possibles/

I'm comfortable describing both Theresa May and Andrea Leadsom as epigoni.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    Had a less than friendly phone conversation with someone I campaigned with in the referendum, asking if was going to vote for Theresa or Andrea. He's UKIP I think, not a Tory member anyhow, said I'm voting for Theresa and that I think Leadsom isn't right for the country. He had a massive rant at how Tories are all traitors to Brexit and now we're going to turn our backs on the people we campaigned with to deliver our leave vote. He thinks that the party should be forced by the courts to open up the membership so ordinary people can vote like Labour did for theirs.

Needless to say he didn't change my mind. It did make me wonder how much campaigning there is going to be by non-Tory members who voted and campaigned to leave. I don't think his phone calls are going very well, he seemed exasperated. If his experiences are anything to go by then the Vote Leave Tories seem to be falling behind Theresa. I expect that the Leave.EU ones may fall in line for Leadsom, but I'm told that the 30,000 figure Banks has gone on about is some distance over the mark.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Dumb and Dumber.

Dumb indeed. She seems to have learned nothing from similarly crass proposals from her predecessor, David Cameron. Maybe it is a cunning ploy by CCHQ's dirty tricks department to prolong Labour's woes by making Jeremy Corbyn seem like Alan Turing.
  • Options
    Charles said:

SeanT said:

He was head over in heels with a lovely girl who finally threw him over for another man Naturally he was heartbroken and didn't attend the wedding but shortly afterwards saw sense so ordered a crate of champagne for her - and knowing she wanted children really badly requesrlted Mumms with a nice note saying "I hope you soon become one"

:lol:

Bolly for me, then Mumm.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

The one "rule" I can see is that in the two horse race, in all 3 of the membership votes they have opted for the person portarying themselves as more eurosceptic. Cameron did this by promising to pull the MEPs out of the EPP. That said I think the rule is about to be broken, although I win more with Leadsom.
  • Options
    I have to say that @SeanT is doing it all wrong with his champagne. But first you need to make sure that you have a big enough flute.
  • Options
    Charles said:

SeanT said:

My sister works for LVMH and we get a very steady supply of Dom, I find other champagne undrinkable.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    MaxPB said:

Had a less than friendly phone conversation with someone I campaigned with in the referendum, asking if was going to vote for Theresa or Andrea. He's UKIP I think, not a Tory member anyhow, said I'm voting for Theresa and that I think Leadsom isn't right for the country. He had a massive rant at how Tories are all traitors to Brexit and now we're going to turn our backs on the people we campaigned with to deliver our leave vote. He thinks that the party should be forced by the courts to open up the membership so ordinary people can vote like Labour did for theirs.

Needless to say he didn't change my mind. It did make me wonder how much campaigning there is going to be by non-Tory members who voted and campaigned to leave. I don't think his phone calls are going very well, he seemed exasperated. If his experiences are anything to go by then the Vote Leave Tories seem to be falling behind Theresa. I expect that the Leave.EU ones may fall in line for Leadsom, but I'm told that the 30,000 figure Banks has gone on about is some distance over the mark.

If you still have time to edit that it would reduce confusion if you said "anyhow, *I* said I'm voting for Theresa..."
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,872

@Pro_Rata This was that thread:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/04/28/choosing-camerons-successor-the-process-and-the-possibles/

I'm comfortable describing both Theresa May and Andrea Leadsom as epigoni.

Just vaguely remembered the headline.

Have to say, looking at the actual article:

"So if one is drawing up an identikit of the next Conservative leader, anyone who is perceived to be trustworthy, Eurosceptic, old school Conservative, a unifier and consultative is going to be off to a flying start."

does seem to hit the mark pretty well.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,576
    Britain saves the eu!
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

The one "rule" I can see is that in the two horse race, in all 3 of the membership votes they have opted for the person portarying themselves as more eurosceptic. Cameron did this by promising to pull the MEPs out of the EPP. That said I think the rule is about to be broken, although I win more with Leadsom.
    Have you seen May on the TV since her Yes, Minister declaration? I haven't. Seen Leadsom several times/links to intvs on Twitter.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,698
    edited July 2016
    What was it the loathsome Leadsom said about sterling yesterday ?

She's turning into a latter day Gordon Brown with a dash of Sion Simon.

Bloomberg: So the pound is now the world's worst-performing major currency https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-08/pound-overtakes-argentine-peso-to-become-2016-s-worst-performer

On the flip side, feel the sovereignty.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060

Bloomberg: So the pound is now the world's worst-performing major currency bloom.bg/29rSQjU

Shush - she's about to defend her Wimbledon Ladies championship tomorrow.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Pro_Rata said:

Have you seen May on the TV since her Yes, Minister declaration? I haven't. Seen Leadsom several times/links to intvs on Twitter.
    May appeared outside HoC yesterday straight after the latest vote with some of her supporters and made a short speech.

I do have to keep telling myself to cheer up that Mrs May is so much better than Cameron & Osborne.
  • Options

Bloomberg: So the pound is now the world's worst-performing major currency bloom.bg/29rSQjU

I so hope I get to ask her a question at a hustings event.

Does anyone if Leadsom has published her tax returns yet as promised ?

If not, what's she got to hide?
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Britain saves the eu!
    Not for long, if our economy bounces back once we have a plan and negotiations while the EU pushes "more Europe" as the solution to Brexit that will all unwind. In the real world the EU is about to put sanctions on Portugal and Spain for not meeting of unrealistic deficit targets and they are going to stop Italy from bailing out its banking sector while probably waving through a much larger bail out of Deutsche Bank by the Germans because the Germans will tell the EU to fuck off if they try and force DB to be wound up or bailed in by depositors.

As ever the lord giveth with the one hand and taketh with the other.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    SeanT said:

Bloomberg: So the pound is now the world's worst-performing major currency https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-08/pound-overtakes-argentine-peso-to-become-2016-s-worst-performer

Another reason Leadsom can't win. She owns the Brexit recession. Over the summer, as British holidaymakers in the EU realise they can barely afford a pizza between six, they will not be impressed by her firm belief "the £ will not be affected by Brexit".
    And ? You were warned and chose to ignore the bomb being put under the UK economy.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464

Mr. Herdson, Alexander the Great might disagree. When Bactria and Sogdiana rebelled, he gave them short shrift.

Mr. Eek, sorry, it was Mr. Taffys.

Alexander would not have been suited to a parliamentary democracy.

In fact, he wasn't particularly suited to long-term politics at all. More of an empire-accumulator rather than -builder.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

I noted that on the previous thread. Hopefully Theresa will begin asking for it.

I've not thought of a hustings question to ask. I want to make it an awkward financial question which will expose her lack of City credentials. Not that her insistence that Sterling hasn't been hit isn't enough, mind.
  • Options
    Patrick prediction: If Leadsom wins there will be more teddies in the corner than after Brexit itself.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I noted that on the previous thread. Hopefully Theresa will begin asking for it.

I've not thought of a hustings question to ask. I want to make it an awkward financial question which will expose her lack of City credentials. Not that her insistence that Sterling hasn't been hit isn't enough, mind.
    I've got mine prepared, am using my knowledge of the FSA/PRA approved persons regulations to trip her up.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,217
    CAN WE PLEASE SHUT UP ABOUT ALCOHOL

Thanks.

(Sobs)
  • Options
    Raonic break point
  • Options
    Raonic break
  • Options
    Especially for those Leavers who want to kill all the lawyers:

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/751386785670987776
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949

Thanks.

(Sobs)

Are you unable to have a drink at the moment?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I've got mine prepared, am using my knowledge of the FSA/PRA approved persons regulations to trip her up.
    I think I'm going to see if I can ask about Baring's without getting into trouble. I find it hard to believe that the deputy director of financial institutions would have the level of oversight to lend money to a probably insolvent bank.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The trouble is we are back to the trying to expose her as 'not a member of the elite', if not too careful. Leadsom is going to run a Trump-style campaign I expect. Light on everything policy wise but plenty of home-spun platitudes and stuff about getting our country back, no more political correctness and chasing foxes. She wont care what problems lie down the road as she throws red meat off the back of the van at passing members.

My mood swings, but today I think, sadly, it'll work and the most unqualified and frankly idiotic PM in living memory will be in by September.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,212

He does have an advantage of being on the west coast
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Yeah, but then I want to lick the champagne off, don't I?

Tesco Sparkling Water. Pfff.

DON'T YOU PEOPLE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT POINTLESSLY DECADENT SEX
    If you want something to lick you could try chocolate body paint. Just don't use too much as it can be quite sickly. I had enough half way through which kind of killed the mood.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,533
    edited July 2016
    MaxPB said:

How comfortable are you with our financial institutions being on the outside of the MiFID decision-making environment and yet having to follow the resulting regulations?
  • Options
    Mr May has deleted his LinkedIn account - sounds like Guido has plans to tell more.

Mr Leadsom is a house-husband with lots of directorships.

http://order-order.com/2016/07/08/may-v-leadsom-husbands-measure/
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Afternoon Malc! :smiley:
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028

Looks like a recipe for political-legal limbo to me :o

Can the EU box be shut now it has been opened ?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

The trouble is we are back to the trying to expose her as 'not a member of the elite', if not too careful. Leadsom is going to run a Trump-style campaign I expect. Light on everything policy wise but plenty of home-spun platitudes and stuff about getting our country back, no more political correctness and chasing foxes. She wont care what problems lie down the road as she throws red meat off the back of the van at passing members.

My mood swings, but today I think, sadly, it'll work and the most unqualified and frankly idiotic PM in living memory will be in by September.
    Expose her as a liar/Misleadsom I hope. I can see where you are coming from, but remember among the narrow electorate that is the Tory party, most are part of the the establishment and have seen the value if their investments and pensions go down. The majority of Tory members that I know are middle class and wealthy with, the ones who want to overthrow the existing order all left for UKIP in 2010 when Dave didn't deliver the Lisbon referendum.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739

MaxPB said:

God, Cameron will have a lot to answer for if that happens.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Thanks.

(Sobs)

Yeah. I'm still not quite right in the head (cues obvious comments) ;)
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

If you want something to lick you could try chocolate body paint. Just don't use too much as it can be quite sickly. I had enough half way through which kind of killed the mood.
    Is this a barely disguised attempt to get this site rated as 18 X or whatever by Leadsom's forthcoming thought police?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

How comfortable are you with our financial institutions being on the outside of the MiFID decision-making environment and yet having to follow the resulting regulations?
    I'm not sure I or anyone in the room would still be awake by the end of the question let alone for the answer!
  • Options
    On topic, I don't think the 2001 precedent should be an overriding guide and I think the markets are under-rating May's chances.

The polling was pretty clear, not only that may had a substantial lead - and an enormous one among Tories that voted Remain - but that (in slight contradiction to that last point), stance on the EURef was not rated all that highly, below ability to unite the party and perceived effectiveness in office - both of which May scores well on.

The MPs vote will also matter. Labour is providing an object lesson in the perils of dividing the leadership from the parliamentary party. Leadsom only won the support of 1 in 5 Tory MPs in the first round and 1 in 4 yesterday. While members won't like being told what to do (and so May's campaign is unlikely to say so, so explicitly), it will swing the minds of some wavering voters.

There is a long way to go before polls close - or even before they open - but either May will to mess up badly or Leadsom will have to overcome an unsteady start and display levels of leadership that have so far eluded her, if the outcome is to be anything other than a formality.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2016
    MaxPB said:

I think I'm going to see if I can ask about Baring's without getting into trouble. I find it hard to believe that the deputy director of financial institutions would have the level of oversight to lend money to a probably insolvent bank.

I'm not sure that's a very fruitful line. From what has been said, it sounds as though she was in more of relationship-manager role than signing off the actual loans. The loans would surely have had to be approved by a credit committee.

In fact I think the whole focus on her CV is overdone. She had a respectable, middle-ranking career in finance. She doesn't seem to have been a high-flyer, but so what? It's still useful background experience. The only real problem is the bigging-up of it and trying to pretend it qualifies her for a top role despite her lack of top-level political experience.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Mrs May also supports chasing foxes. Louise is on her case. PB may mock her terrier-like grip, but she's not an enemy I'd want.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

I'm not sure I or anyone in the room would still be awake by the end of the question let alone for the answer!
    LOL

It does, however, address the heart of the issue with financial services. How she responds (synthetic Deutsche Bank shares...Eurodollar analogy...our own regs....) will tell much about whether she understands what's at stake in her specialist subject.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,456
    Reflecting on the campaign I fell out with the daily mail and it's total trashing of any remain arguments and if it wasn't for the puzzles which my wife likes I would have cancelled it.

However with my conversion to the leave cause the daily mail and I are absolutely on the same page with their fulsome backing of Theresa May and I am now back to handing my wife her puzzle pages and reading it from front to back once again.

Funny business this politics
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I tried ice cream once - never again, all sticky and melted too fast.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I'm not sure that's a very fruitful line. From what has been said, it sounds as though she was in more of relationship-manager role than signing off the actual loans. The loans would surely have had to be approved by a credit committee.

In fact I think the whole focus on her CV is overdone. She had a respectable, middle-ranking career in finance. She doesn't seem to have been a high-flyer, but so what? It's still useful background experience. The only real problem is the bigging-up of it and trying to pretend it qualifies her for a top role despite her lack of top-level political experience.
    Which is my point, she claimed to have had a prominent role in the government/industry firefight against contagion fron Baring's and yet she was a middle ranking relations manager. The two don't add up.
  • Options
    Still, we can have some fun with anticipating the forthcoming interviews with Leadsom:

Q: "What about the economy?"

Leadsom: "I just think people want an economy that works."

Q: "Yes, but what does that mean? What's your policy?"

L: "I just think people want someone who will be able to run the economy."

Q: "well of course they do, but what about inflation, what about sterling, what our your plans?"

L: "I just think there's too much focus on negative stuff like that; ordinary, decent people just want an economy that works."

[continue for an hour and then the weather]
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I agree with this. Deputy this, MD vs Marketing Director (makes perfect sense, regulatorily was marketing, business card was MD...)

As you say, no shame in a middle-ranking career in finance. The main critique of La Leadsom is that she is simply not up to the job.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

LOL

It does, however, address the heart of the issue with financial services. How she responds (synthetic Deutsche Bank shares...Eurodollar analogy...our own regs....) will tell much about whether she understands what's at stake in her specialist subject.
    Yes, that's a good point. I'll keep it as a back up. Are you not going to try and get a question yourself?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,212
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

Hello GIN, hope you are well. I am relaxing with a beer watching the grandkids in swimming pool ( small above ground one I must add ). Have spent an arm and a leg heating it this week , 95 degrees which is at least 30 above exterior. Sun is out just now mind you but dire weather for summer.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

LOL

Yes, that's a good point. I'll keep it as a back up. Are you not going to try and get a question yourself?
    Yes I will have to look into it.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    Jonathan said:

Eight Long Weeks. Great. Thanks a lot chaps. Suspect it's going to be a battle between Gray and Tiresom and the end of it.

Seem to remember Labour's process lasting 4 frelling months.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

GIN1138 said:

Thanks.

(Sobs)

Yeah. I'm still not quite right in the head (cues obvious comments) ;)
    That's a shame. :(
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

Hello GIN, hope you are well. I am relaxing with a beer watching the grandkids in swimming pool ( small above ground one I must add ). Have spent an arm and a leg heating it this week , 95 degrees which is at least 30 above exterior. Sun is out just now mind you but dire weather for summer.

Unlike us Soft Southerners you hardy northern types are used to dealing with inclement weather! :smiley:

• Options

Pro_Rata said:

'Precedent' in a sample of two is not particularly meaningful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2016
    It's astonishing that a supposedly smart politician like Leadsom could honestly think sterling would not take a hefty knock from such a political shock.

By itself, it disqualifies her, to my mind

That means that there is in your mind only ever a one way ratchet. You can never escape a stifling political arrangement because it will cause economic adjustment. Which is worse - Sterling finding a new normal (and long overdue) or your kids never having a meaningful vote in their lives? I voted Leave with eyes wide open (and am £55k richer now in Sterling terms). Many many voters had 40 years of frustration to vent. Of course it was going to be decision for the ages and the history books. It wasn't about the money!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Which is my point, she claimed to have had a prominent role in the government/industry firefight against contagion fron Baring's and yet she was a middle ranking relations manager. The two don't add up.
    I'm pretty sure you'll vehemently disagree with me, but this all sounds very like someone who used to bang on and on about Latvian homophobes, crying at funerals, riding retired police horses owned by Rebekah Brookes, shopping in Morrisons...

It will effect some purists/City types who will have a view, but the rest really don't care that much.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Patrick said:

That means that there is in your mind only ever a one way ratchet. You can never escape a stifling political arrangement because it will cause economic adjustment. Which is worse - Sterling finding a new normal (and long overdue) or your kids never having a meaningful vote in their lives? I voted Leave with eyes wide open (and am £55k richer now in Sterling terms). Many many voters had 40 years of frustration to vent. Of course it was going to be decision for the ages and the history books. It wasn't about the money!

*If* the economy tanks, then it'll be about jobs, job, jobs.

Let's hope that doesn't happen.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

LOL

I think this is a good question.

"Mrs Leadsom, given that your policy of having unilateral restrictions on free movement will force Britain out of the single market, how do you propose to ensure that the City of London and it's great institutions are able to continue functioning as normal outside of the regulatory framework in which the UK had a prominent role writing?"

Or is that too long?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,843
    Pulpstar said:

I don't understand this excitement about having Parliament triggering Article 50. The PM decides when to trigger. Parliament votes on it with the democratic justification, arguably the democratic imperative, of the referendum. Then the countdown begins and we Brexit.

Am I missing something?
  • Options
    ...can't you just dump in a load of Badedas???
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,855
    One bit of good news - CamForceOne AirMay has been fitted with seats built in Northern Ireland (its the sort of thing that frequently gets screwed up....)

http://www.thompsonaero.com/vantage
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited July 2016
    Good afternoon all. It's going to be a decade before we can conclude whether Brexit was worth it, not a fortnight.

To forestall the representatives of the Remainian Inquisition on here, yes, some days I regret my vote, others I am utterly carefree. Colour me human.

I was certainly wobbling yesterday. I was expecting May vs Johnson. I could have lived with May vs Gove. We're now essentially flipping a coin to see if we're going to let an inexperienced techno-twit lead the country through one of its most challenging periods.

I don't see that I could have reasonably been expected to consider that as even a remote possibility :). Hubris followed by Nemesis? I hope not.

PS I agree with Patrick's point. There is never a good time to do radical things. That's why radical things, by and large, don't happen.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't understand this excitement about having Parliament triggering Article 50. The PM decides when to trigger. Parliament votes on it with the democratic justification, arguably the democratic imperative, of the referendum. Then the countdown begins and we Brexit.

Am I missing something?
    Err...Yes. The gorilla in the corner is that Parliament might not approve it. Now that WOULD be a constitutional crisis. A PM can trigger by sending a letter to Brussels on Royal Prerogative - with the referendum as mandate. That's what the Brexiters want (Gove etc) because they fear the 'empire strikes back' from the establishment. The Remainiacs all want a vote - because they're hoping Parliament will put the plebs back in their box. So...it's just a tad touchy whether we do or don't seek a vote on it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2016

My point was the Leadsom specifically denied the £ would get hit, which is either a lie, or an idiocy, or an idiotic lie.

Fair dinkum. Agreed.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,229
    Regarding champagne and nipples, I think it's important to remember that skin colour matters here. Dark nipples need a very light champagne, perhaps a Ruinart. Light nipples go well with more complex champagnes, like a Dom Perignon.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited July 2016

Still, we can have some fun with anticipating the forthcoming interviews with Leadsom:

Q: "What about the economy?"

Leadsom: "I just think people want an economy that works."

Q: "Yes, but what does that mean? What's your policy?"

L: "I just think people want someone who will be able to run the economy."

Q: "well of course they do, but what about inflation, what about sterling, what our your plans?"

L: "I just think there's too much focus on negative stuff like that; ordinary, decent people just want an economy that works."

[continue for an hour and then the weather]

It is all good fun and probably (sadly) true. But what would you get from Theresa May who seems to have achieved nothing in six years at the Home Office apart from surviving six years at the Home Office? All that means is David Cameron hated reshuffles. Iain Duncan Smith lasted six years at DWP.

It is the same problem Labour faces. Yes, neither Corbyn nor Leadsom is up to the job but the alternatives are hardly more attractive.
  • Options
    The Dallas police chief is doing a very dignified and firm job at his press conf. Impressive guy.

Mayor of Dallas has also done a sterling job, what a horrible situation. Final shooter blew himself up with a bomb.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028
    rcs1000 said:

Regarding champagne and nipples, I think it's important to remember that skin colour matters here. Dark nipples need a very light champagne, perhaps a Ruinart. Light nipples go well with more complex champagnes, like a Dom Perignon.

Peak erm something..
  • Options
    John_M said:

Good afternoon all. It's going to be a decade before we can conclude whether Brexit was worth it, not a fortnight.

To forestall the representatives of the Remainian Inquisition on here, yes, some days I regret my vote, others I am utterly carefree. Colour me human.

I was certainly wobbling yesterday. I was expecting May vs Johnson. I could have lived with May vs Gove. We're now essentially flipping a coin to see if we're going to let an inexperienced techno-twit lead the country through one of its most challenging periods.

I don't see that I could have reasonably been expected to consider that as even a remote possibility :). Hubris followed by Nemesis? I hope not.

PS I agree with Patrick's point. There is never a good time to do radical things. That's why radical things, by and large, don't happen.

As a remain voter, I also wobble; sometimes I think we can get through all this fine; at others I think we're heading for some severe pain.

Mostly I try not to think about it.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,486

One bit of good news - CamForceOne AirMay has been fitted with seats built in Northern Ireland (its the sort of thing that frequently gets screwed up....)

http://www.thompsonaero.com/vantage

The May Flyer surely?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Peak erm something..
    Peak peaks.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Peak erm something..
    Peak peaks.
    Twin Peaks?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Peak erm something..
    :lol:

The tackiest thing is eating at The Ivy - if you order Krug, they give you different glasses to show off with.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

Am I missing something?
    Yes. The challenge is predicated on the belief that parliament, if asked to trigger (or ratify the triggering of) Article 50, would refuse.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

SeanT said:

Another reason Leadsom can't win. She owns the Brexit recession. Over the summer, as British holidaymakers in the EU realise they can barely afford a pizza between six, they will not be impressed by her firm belief "the £ will not be affected by Brexit".
    And ? You were warned and chose to ignore the bomb being put under the UK economy.
    It would only have been worse had we waited another 10 or 20 years to Leave...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

LOL

I think this is a good question.

"Mrs Leadsom, given that your policy of having unilateral restrictions on free movement will force Britain out of the single market, how do you propose to ensure that the City of London and it's great institutions are able to continue functioning as normal outside of the regulatory framework in which the UK had a prominent role writing?"

Or is that too long?
    I think that's a good question.

Just thinking out loud:

Mrs Leadsom, to date, the UK has had a prominent role in shaping Europe-wide financial services regulation. How will you ensure the City of London continues to makes its voice heard now that these regulations, which our City institutions must follow, will be set in Brussels without our input?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    nunu said:
    His statements are contradictory. He knows full well that some women are able to meet the physical demands of front line fighting - he says there will only be a small number. Fine. Then he says they will be the "weak link" - but how, if they've met the physical requirements!
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

I think that has more to do with time zones ...
This discussion has been closed.