Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » According to the betting markets this is a much tighter rac

Comments

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,741
    FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

Especially for those Leavers who want to kill all the lawyers:

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/751386785670987776

Looks like a recipe for political-legal limbo to me :o

Can the EU box be shut now it has been opened ?
    I don't understand this excitement about having Parliament triggering Article 50. The PM decides when to trigger. Parliament votes on it with the democratic justification, arguably the democratic imperative, of the referendum. Then the countdown begins and we Brexit.

Am I missing something?
    The fact that the referendum was advisory.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Pulpstar said:

The idea that parliament must consent to us Leaving is absurd: they already have done so.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,269
    Sean T’s girl friend should remind us all that however highly educated someone is, you can’t teach common sense.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

nunu said:
    His statements are contradictory. He knows full well that some women are able to meet the physical demands of front line fighting - he says there will only be a small number. Fine. Then he says they will be the "weak link" - but how, if they've met the physical requirements!
    It's the effect on their squad mates. The US army did some studies on this. Men much more likely to halt and help a wounded woman. I'm sure it can be trained out of them.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,532
    ToryJim said:

One bit of good news - CamForceOne AirMay has been fitted with seats built in Northern Ireland (its the sort of thing that frequently gets screwed up....)

http://www.thompsonaero.com/vantage

The May Flyer surely?
    Leadsom Zeppelin?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    PlatoSaid said:

MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Anyway, back to the whole What's the best champagne to pour over your girlfriend's nipples question....

Well you could blindfold her first, then compare Champagne with Tesco Sparkling Water, and see which she prefers.

Yeah, but then I want to lick the champagne off, don't I?

Tesco Sparkling Water. Pfff.

DON'T YOU PEOPLE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT POINTLESSLY DECADENT SEX
    If you want something to lick you could try chocolate body paint. Just don't use too much as it can be quite sickly. I had enough half way through which kind of killed the mood.
    I tried ice cream once - never again, all sticky and melted too fast.
    That sort of thing always struck me as a huge case of gilding the lily.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,166

Pulpstar said:

The idea that parliament must consent to us Leaving is absurd: they already have done so.
    Technically they haven't. The bill could have been written so that it was binding, but it wasn't.
  • Options
    kingbongokingbongo Posts: 393
    John_M said:

nunu said:
    His statements are contradictory. He knows full well that some women are able to meet the physical demands of front line fighting - he says there will only be a small number. Fine. Then he says they will be the "weak link" - but how, if they've met the physical requirements!
    It's the effect on their squad mates. The US army did some studies on this. Men much more likely to halt and help a wounded woman. I'm sure it can be trained out of them.
    the Kurds and the IDF seem to be able to make it work and no doubt there are other examples
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited July 2016
    SeanT said:

Did you actually read my post???

I SAID that I predicted and anticipated an economic slowdown and a weaker pound, as a result of Brexit. These things were inevitable. I agree with you, that the argument is they will be worth it, in the end. No roses without thorns.

My point was the Leadsom specifically denied the £ would get hit, which is either a lie, or an idiocy, or an idiotic lie.

Or she genuinely thought that the uncertainties re the pounds future were already correctly priced into the market.

Many in the financial world seem to believe as an article of faith that markets are efficient. If that were true, then the result of the referendum should not have had as big an impact on the price of the pound as it did.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't understand this excitement about having Parliament triggering Article 50. The PM decides when to trigger. Parliament votes on it with the democratic justification, arguably the democratic imperative, of the referendum. Then the countdown begins and we Brexit.

Am I missing something?
    Yawn.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,493

FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

Am I missing something?
    A parliamentary vote on Article 50 would be just as 'advisory'; it carries no more constitutional weight. The government still triggers Brexit as and when it decides to.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,648

ToryJim said:

One bit of good news - CamForceOne AirMay has been fitted with seats built in Northern Ireland (its the sort of thing that frequently gets screwed up....)

The May Flyer surely?
    Leadsom Zeppelin?
    Didn't the Zeppelins mainly crash and burn?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    I haven't fact checked this. Perhaps a May supporter would like to confirm

for fairness and impartiality @IainDale @BBCNews @SkyNews @itvnews @LGBTTORY #May I pass this on to you ? https://t.co/Kf2xSaYX2X
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Technically they haven't. The bill could have been written so that it was binding, but it wasn't.
    Yawn.

They have.

They could have voted to Leave, to stay, or to ask us to decide.

They asked us to decide. Now we have, and it's up to the government to implement it.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    I'm fairly sure the polling for the last labour leadership election had Andy Burnham and Yvette Cooper, the experienced choices, in the lead at the start of the contest against Corbyn. But as it became increasingly clear that they had a dull lack of message to convey to voters, Corbyn managed to impress and lead the polling, and he didn't really do anything to drive it himself (he was not a good speaker in the hustings etc, and he didn't really advance any new ideas). He finally won a resounding victory, and amongst the members not just the three quidders.

I'm unconvinced that Tory members are all that different to Labour members in their attitude to this. People assume Tory members will be more ''serious' and 'reflective', than labour were, but why exactly? We've seen it before and we can see it again easily - I doubt by a landslide like Corbo, but she could squeak it.

If it does happen, I think it could cause a major fissure in the tory party and early on too - Tory MPs have seen what's going on in Labour and won't hang about to let it happen to their party.

I may have been a remainer but brexit is like crack for political geeks!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    MTimT said:

Many in the financial world seem to believe as an article of faith that markets are efficient. If that were true, then the result of the referendum should not have had as big an impact on the price of the pound as it did.

Saying markets are efficient means they price in the information available at the time, it doesn't mean they're clairvoyent.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

The May Flyer surely?
    Leadsom Zeppelin?
    Didn't the Zeppelins mainly crash and burn?
    My mother used to talk about seeing one being shot down in flames over Cuffley (Herts).
  • Options
    Meanwhile in the REAL world
    Allsop Commercial property auction in London this week

"Our auction attracted more attention than usual with people watching closely for an indication of market sentiment following the EU referendum. Pleasingly it was very much business as usual, with confident and competitive bidding from the start. The motivations of our buyers does not appear to have changed, with properties that are well let, well located or offer potential to add value all continuing to attract strong interest. Encouragingly demand remains high with 78% of buyers expressing a desire to buy again at auction in the next 12 months."

But why allow the facts to interfere with all the doom and gloom.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2016
    MTimT said:

How do you figure that out? The result was a surprise. In fact, in the lead-up to the referendum, sterling rose and fell as the perceived risk of a Leave result fell and rose.

In fact, the markets have behaved exactly as one would have expected them to, and in magnitude in line with expectations. I wrote here before the referendum that I expected about a 10% to 15% drop against the dollar on a Leave result, an estimate in line with that of many observers.

The next phase, which is just beginning, is the knock-on effect of the collapse in confidence on the 'real' economy, in terms of business activity and jobs.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

for fairness and impartiality @IainDale @BBCNews @SkyNews @itvnews @LGBTTORY #May I pass this on to you ? https://t.co/Kf2xSaYX2X

I can confirm that it is incredibly selective and partial.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Anyway, back to the whole What's the best champagne to pour over your girlfriend's nipples question....

Well you could blindfold her first, then compare Champagne with Tesco Sparkling Water, and see which she prefers.

If you want something to lick you could try chocolate body paint. Just don't use too much as it can be quite sickly. I had enough half way through which kind of killed the mood.
    An old girlfriend once used mincemeat ( as in from xmas mince pies)on me- it literally took days to get rid of the stuff :(
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Contrary to what some had suggested after Jonathan Hill quit, the Telegraph today reports (11:33am entry) that Cameron has nominated Julian King (ambassador to France) as our new European Commissioner.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Yawn.

They have.

They asked us to decide. Now we have, and it's up to the government to implement it.
    The practical political consideration here is that parliament is distinct from the government, and isn't obliged to vote for anything the Prime Minister says, so they may vote down any specific bill that the Prime Minister puts to them. (They probably won't, but they might.)

They won't necessarily phrase it as "the voters were wrong, we're going to decide ourselves", but it's not impossible to see them saying something like, "The Prime Minister has bollocksed up the Brexit plan, we're not voting this through until they come up with a better one".
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,702
    ToryJim said:

PlatoSaid said:

And put to bed six years ago.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8696102.stm
  • Options
    Alex Wickham
    Spin exodus: Corbyn needs a new leader's office Head of Media, a new party Head of Press and Deputy Head of Press: https://t.co/aAquM8HIhN
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

An old girlfriend once used mincemeat ( as in from xmas mince pies)on me- it literally took days to get rid of the stuff :(
    Days..... days ....... the mind boggles!
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,396
    Seems quite bizarre that after a referendum where Leave were demanding greater control in the hands of the UK Parliament that the first action of the post Brexit vote PM would be to deny that sovereign Parliament any say in the critical decision and issue the article 50 letter as an order in council. is there anything in the Leave campaign that has not been proven totally false in the last few days? It seems to me that Bremorse is now so total that any referendum rerun would see Remain win by a landslide. So it would be a very foolhardy PM who takes the disastrous referendum result as the last word on the subject...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Yawn.

They have.

The practical political consideration here is that parliament is distinct from the government, and isn't obliged to vote for anything the Prime Minister says, so they may vote down any specific bill that the Prime Minister puts to them. (They probably won't, but they might.)

They won't necessarily phrase it as "the voters were wrong, we're going to decide ourselves", but it's not impossible to see them saying something like, "The Prime Minister has bollocksed up the Brexit plan, we're not voting this through until they come up with a better one".
    That's reasonable on a vote on what happens after we Leave, but not on the actual Leaving.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Seems quite bizarre that after a referendum where Leave were demanding greater control in the hands of the UK Parliament that the first action of the post Brexit vote PM would be to deny that sovereign Parliament any say in the critical decision

Parliament has had its say.

• Options

PlatoSaid said:

MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Days..... days ....... the mind boggles!
    Dont ask...
    Still I always have a smile on my face when I see the Supermarkets start selling their first boxes of mince pies in October :)
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Mr Meeks,

I think people have a low enough opinion of lawyers without this Mr Maugham making it worse. The actions of a spoilt child can be forgiven but a spoilt adult is a different matter.

But I'd be surprised if you're happy to see him wasting money on something that would bring the legal profession into even more disrepute, somewhere between ambulance-chasers and human sewerage.

I suppose it keeps them off street corners, though.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,065

Cicero said:

Seems quite bizarre that after a referendum where Leave were demanding greater control in the hands of the UK Parliament that the first action of the post Brexit vote PM would be to deny that sovereign Parliament any say in the critical decision

Can you explain why Parliament didn't include an automacity clause in the EU referendum but did so for the AV referendum?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,018

Allsop Commercial property auction in London this week.

Property Auctioneers talking up the property market?

Whodathunkit?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

It's a very partial view, but that's fair enough.

The last item is clearly wrong; in her speech in May she explicitly dropped the idea of leaving the ECHR (if we're out from under the ECJ, it becomes moot).

She did vote against reducing the age of consent, and the adoption bill. However, she's always voted in favour of gay civil partnerships and marriage.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10426/theresa_may/maidenhead/divisions?policy=826

Wait until Twitter discover she voted for the badger cull.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,671

What was it the loathsome Leadsom said about sterling yesterday ?

She's turning into a latter day Gordon Brown with a dash of Sion Simon.

Bloomberg: So the pound is now the world's worst-performing major currency https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-08/pound-overtakes-argentine-peso-to-become-2016-s-worst-performer

On the flip side, feel the sovereignty.

I take it then that you are at one with the 6% of Conservative members who YouGov found had a "very negative" view of her.

A year ago there was much discussion of how the Germans had basically shafted the rest of Eurozone by ensuring that the DM could no longer appreciate against the rest of the European currencies as the fundamentals of their respective economies continued to diverge. Artificial devaluations can clearly be good for economies. That is what we have essentially achieved in the past couple of weeks - a devaluation led by market sentiment alone that has suddenly made the UK economy far more competitive in the wider world.

Perhaps that is what is behind Tata Steel's decision to think twice about abandoning the UK.

• Options
    Rather wonderfully, there is a suburb of Melbourne called "Chadstone". Florida 2000 meets Miliband 2015...
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    John_M said:

nunu said:
    Mr. M., I was once totally against having lady soldiers in the line. However, the experience of Afghanistan has convinced me I was wrong. The British army did deploy ladies into the line, that might have been as medics or some other, supposedly, support role but when it kicks off at section level you are all in it together. I have not heard of or read any account of the gels not doing their duty to the same standard as the blokes.

One might also point to "The Det" in Northern Ireland. The courage those ladies in that unit showed must forever dispel an sexist based generalisations. To say nothing of the argument that they need special facilities.

As to the use of violence, history shows us that a lady is as capable of shoving a knife into a someone's guts as well as and as readily as any man.

• Options
    ToryJim said:

PlatoSaid said:

Details on why?
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Cicero said:

Can you explain why Parliament didn't include an automacity clause in the EU referendum but did so for the AV referendum?
    Because no one understands what the fuck automaticity (or automacity) means?

Perhaps a thread?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

ToryJim said:

PlatoSaid said:

And put to bed six years ago.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8696102.stm
    What?

That wasn't on the list?

Colour me shocked.......
  • Options

What was it the loathsome Leadsom said about sterling yesterday ?

She's turning into a latter day Gordon Brown with a dash of Sion Simon.

Bloomberg: So the pound is now the world's worst-performing major currency https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-08/pound-overtakes-argentine-peso-to-become-2016-s-worst-performer

On the flip side, feel the sovereignty.

I take it then that you are at one with the 6% of Conservative members who YouGov found had a "very negative" view of her.

Yup.

She's an airhead, it is quite offensive even speak of her in the same breath as Margaret Thatcher.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Alex Wickham
    Spin exodus: Corbyn needs a new leader's office Head of Media, a new party Head of Press and Deputy Head of Press: https://t.co/aAquM8HIhN

He's needed those for some time, it's just now the posts are vacant.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Cicero said:

Because no one understands what the fuck automaticity (not automating?) means?

Perhaps a thread?
    I will do a thread for Sunday on it, and turn it into a betting thread.
  • Options

Whodathunkit?
    They post the results by lots sold and & values achieved etc
    Same format each month-there has not been any tangible difference in July's results to previous auctions.
    I'm not saying that doesn't mean that there wont be a down turn-it is just that the real results achieved in a real auction are at variance to the speculation and rumor.
  • Options
    Ally_BAlly_B Posts: 185
    Meanwhile in the REAL world.

Just before the referendum the £ was trading at 6.0 to the Malaysian Ringett, today it is 5.22. That means I get 15% less money every time I use an ATM to withdraw cash. Whilst for those living in the UK the £ in your pocket may appear to be the same, for those of us who live abroad for all or (in my case) part of the year are already suffering.
  • Options

John_M said:

nunu said:
    Mr. M., I was once totally against having lady soldiers in the line. However, the experience of Afghanistan has convinced me I was wrong. The British army did deploy ladies into the line, that might have been as medics or some other, supposedly, support role but when it kicks off at section level you are all in it together. I have not heard of or read any account of the gels not doing their duty to the same standard as the blokes.

One might also point to "The Det" in Northern Ireland. The courage those ladies in that unit showed must forever dispel an sexist based generalisations. To say nothing of the argument that they need special facilities.

As to the use of violence, history shows us that a lady is as capable of shoving a knife into a someone's guts as well as and as readily as any man.

For clarity, I have zero problem with women soldiers. If they meet the same physical standards as the men, more power to them. I was merely adding some information. The IDF lead the way in the 90s iirc.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

ToryJim said:

PlatoSaid said:

Details on why?
    It doesn't include votes in favour of issues, admissions of where she's changed her mind and much else besides.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,493
    Cicero said:

Seems quite bizarre that after a referendum where Leave were demanding greater control in the hands of the UK Parliament that the first action of the post Brexit vote PM would be to deny that sovereign Parliament any say in the critical decision and issue the article 50 letter as an order in council. is there anything in the Leave campaign that has not been proven totally false in the last few days? It seems to me that Bremorse is now so total that any referendum rerun would see Remain win by a landslide. So it would be a very foolhardy PM who takes the disastrous referendum result as the last word on the subject...

Parliament is the voice of the people. As the people have spoken on this specific issue, there is no need for parliament to revisit the question. The Remain campaign made most of the predictions regarding Brexit that are now being worried about and the electorate voted for Leave in the knowledge of that. "But I didn't think they meant it" isn't a good enough excuse.

On a practical level, a sensible PM will encourage a debate in parliament about the timing of Article 50, the objectives of the negotiations and so on in order both to cover his or her political backside and also to strengthen their negotiating hand. But there's no need to do so.
  • Options

Cicero said:

Nick Clegg.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @CD13 There's an extremely important constitutional point at stake in the proposed case: who has primacy, Parliament or the executive? I don't think that it's acting like a spoilt child to want to have a clear answer to this.
  • Options
    Variety
    Dallas Police Chief: Shooter Sought to Kill White Police Officers https://t.co/w7QgEKw9pq
  • Options
    Ally_B said:

Just before the referendum the £ was trading at 6.0 to the Malaysian Ringett, today it is 5.22. That means I get 15% less money every time I use an ATM to withdraw cash. Whilst for those living in the UK the £ in your pocket may appear to be the same, for those of us who live abroad for all or (in my case) part of the year are already suffering.

Only if you are paid in sterling.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,307
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

It's a very partial view, but that's fair enough.

The last item is clearly wrong; in her speech in May she explicitly dropped the idea of leaving the ECHR (if we're out from under the ECJ, it becomes moot).

She did vote against reducing the age of consent, and the adoption bill. However, she's always voted in favour of gay civil partnerships and marriage.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10426/theresa_may/maidenhead/divisions?policy=826

Wait until Twitter discover she voted for the badger cull.
    ....as Andrea spends the afternoon running around looking for a homeless badger to adopt.
  • Options

Cicero said:

Nick Clegg.
    So why were leavers less competent than Nick Clegg?
  • Options
    Ally_B said:

And the manufacturing companies and their workers in the UK gain the chance to gain market share either at home or abroad.

When it comes to exchange rate winners and losers we could be here sometime ....
  • Options

@CD13 There's an extremely important constitutional point at stake in the proposed case: who has primacy, Parliament or the executive? I don't think that it's acting like a spoilt child to want to have a clear answer to this.

I think that's a fair point. People are being a tad paranoid.
  • Options

Cicero said:

Is an automacity where robots live?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,307
    ToryJim said:

The May Flyer surely?
    Does that mean it only lasts a day? Eeeeek.....
  • Options

ToryJim said:

The May Flyer surely?
    Plenty on here seem to be bragging how they can last all day
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    F1 news, McLaren-Honda have confirmed they have used 2 tokens to upgrade the ICE, rumours have suggested their improvements will add around 25-35hp to the overall package, which equates to 0.5s worth of laptime around Silverstone. They have also added a bunch of non-token improvements to the inlets, turbo and cooling but no estimate of how much laptime they gain from those, think of them as keeping up with the Jones' IMO.

I'd look for Alonso to be competitive with Force India, Toro Rosso and possibly Red Bull this weekend as he gets the ICE while Button has to wait until the next race.
  • Options

Whodathunkit?
    They post the results by lots sold and & values achieved etc
    Same format each month-there has not been any tangible difference in July's results to previous auctions.
    I'm not saying that doesn't mean that there wont be a down turn-it is just that the real results achieved in a real auction are at variance to the speculation and rumor.
    Couldn't find results by lot - but I did find their forecast for 2016 a touch optimistic:

http://reviews.allsop.co.uk/commercial/annual2015/outlook-for-2016/
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Mr Meeks,

"I don't think that it's acting like a spoilt child to want to have a clear answer to this."

They could have asked about this last year, but no one seemed bothered then. Now, it's suddenly important. Would taking away their favourite toy have provoked this tantrum by any chance?

A couple of hours on the naughty step might be a good remedy.

PS You should know that I'm heartily amused by the scandalised reactions of the "important" people. That alone was worth me voting Leave. They're so easy to niggle now, and I suspect there's lots more fun to come.
  • Options

MTimT said:

Saying markets are efficient means they price in the information available at the time, it doesn't mean they're clairvoyent.
    And there was plenty of evidence that the polls and the betting markets were wrong. Efficient markets and the invisible hand would have been expected to do better than the herd thinking that prevailed.

And that is my point. For the most part, markets are efficient only when herd thinking coincides with reality. When the two part ways, markets are not efficient - they more reflect herd thinking not what a truly objective analysis of all the information available at the time would indicate.

FFS, the markets were still predicting a Remain win after Newcastle and Sunderland.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    TOPPING said:

ToryJim said:

The May Flyer surely?
    Yeah but some of us don't need viagra to last all day.

The only reason I take viagra is to stop me rolling out of bed.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Yawn.

They have.

That's reasonable on a vote on what happens after we Leave, but not on the actual Leaving.
    Well, once the Prime Minister (and TBF the Leave Campaign) decided that they weren't going to trigger Article 50 straight away but were going to instead going to wait until some future appropriate time, that created an open question for Parliament to consider as to whether or not time X will really be the appropriate time.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,442
    edited July 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

The Dallas police chief is doing a very dignified and firm job at his press conf. Impressive guy.

Mayor of Dallas has also done a sterling job, what a horrible situation. Final shooter blew himself up with a bomb.

https://twitter.com/JamieGrierson/status/751395576143568896

Sorry but WTF
  • Options

Cicero said:

Nick Clegg.
    Not less competent, more trusting. Clegg didn't trust the government to implement the decision so the clause was put in to calm him down.

And also because Cameron didn't think he'd lose the EU referendum so didn't see any point thinking about what happened if he did, as we've seen.
  • Options

Cicero said:

Nick Clegg.
    Not less competent, more trusting. Clegg didn't trust the government to implement the decision so the clause was put in to calm him down.

And also because Cameron didn't think he'd lose the EU referendum so didn't see any point thinking about what happened if he did, as we've seen.
    So we're agreed parliament hasn't had its final say in the EU referendum. Glad we cleared that up.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,443

"Our auction attracted more attention than usual with people watching closely for an indication of market sentiment following the EU referendum. Pleasingly it was very much business as usual, with confident and competitive bidding from the start. The motivations of our buyers does not appear to have changed, with properties that are well let, well located or offer potential to add value all continuing to attract strong interest. Encouragingly demand remains high with 78% of buyers expressing a desire to buy again at auction in the next 12 months."

Looking at the Allsop property results (http://www.auction.co.uk/commercial/pastResults.asp?A=984 for last week's auction, compared to http://www.auction.co.uk/commercial/pastResults.asp?A=983 for the previous) doesn't seem to match that cheerful summary.

23 out 100 of the first 100 properties were unsold (either withdrawn or didn't make reserve) this week, as opposed to 15 on the previous auction.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,950

TOPPING said:

ToryJim said:

The May Flyer surely?
    Yeah but some of us don't need viagra to last all day.

The only reason I take viagra is to stop me rolling out of bed.
    It's great for Sunflowers.
  • Options
    Ally_B said:

I would much prefer it if our UK government was elected only by those who choose to live in the UK, to govern in their interests alone.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Yawn.

They have.

Well, once the Prime Minister (and TBF the Leave Campaign) decided that they weren't going to trigger Article 50 straight away but were going to instead going to wait until some future appropriate time, that created an open question for Parliament to consider as to whether or not time X will really be the appropriate time.
    Not really. The people have instructed the government to Leave and parliament must not now frustrate that.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Even in an age of ridiculousness there is something preposterous about the sight of so many prominent Leavers clutching their pearls in horror as they contemplate the possibility – the real possibility – that Andrea Leadsom could become the next leader of the Conservative party and, by golly, Prime Minister too.

I mean, where do they think she came from? Who created her? Mrs Leadsom’s credentials to occupy the highest political office in the land come down to one single fact: she is the most virulently eurosceptic candidate available. That’s a powerful thing, however, and those Leavers who think their creation can be safely kept in the laboratory may yet have cause to regret their complacency. Because it’s not as easy as that. Sometimes things escape.
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/07/brexit-encouraged-eruption-nasty-tawdry-nativism-anyone-surprised/
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    rcs1000 said:

Looking at the Allsop property results (http://www.auction.co.uk/commercial/pastResults.asp?A=984 for last week's auction, compared to http://www.auction.co.uk/commercial/pastResults.asp?A=983 for the previous) doesn't seem to match that cheerful summary.

23 out 100 of the first 100 properties were unsold (either withdrawn or didn't make reserve) this week, as opposed to 15 on the previous auction.
    That's all a bit false though, isn't it - I mean on Allsop's part. All properties sell for the right price. The time you get a lack of interest is (a) if the market completely dries up or (b) if you have unrealistic sellers. For everything from a pretty bad market upwards, it should always be business as usual.

• Options

Cicero said:

Nick Clegg.

So we're agreed parliament hasn't had its final say in the EU referendum. Glad we cleared that up.
    No, we aren't agreed on that. Parliament washed its hands of the matter when it called the referendum, regardless of whether a particular clause was or was not inserted.

The actions of the losers here trying to frustrate democracy is hilarious. Keep on if you want to keep looking progressively sillier.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Is it really closer than in prev comps for Con Leader? Strikes me that there is only one option. The Tories would be bonkers to chose Leadsom
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Still, we can have some fun with anticipating the forthcoming interviews with Leadsom:

Q: "What about the economy?"

Leadsom: "I just think people want an economy that works."

Q: "Yes, but what does that mean? What's your policy?"

L: "I just think people want someone who will be able to run the economy."

Q: "well of course they do, but what about inflation, what about sterling, what our your plans?"

L: "I just think there's too much focus on negative stuff like that; ordinary, decent people just want an economy that works."

[continue for an hour and then the weather]

It is all good fun and probably (sadly) true. But what would you get from Theresa May who seems to have achieved nothing in six years at the Home Office apart from surviving six years at the Home Office? All that means is David Cameron hated reshuffles. Iain Duncan Smith lasted six years at DWP.

It is the same problem Labour faces. Yes, neither Corbyn nor Leadsom is up to the job but the alternatives are hardly more attractive.
    The job of the PM is to communicate well with the voters and get the right people into the ministries - not to run the departments.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,079
    Tim Farron will be on 'Any Questions' this evening.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 37m37 minutes ago
    This summer there's at least a 30% chance the EU's attention will move from Brexit Britain to unfolding Italian banking crisis.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

This summer there's at least a 30% chance the EU's attention will move from Brexit Britain to unfolding Italian banking crisis.

That's fine... The Italian banking crisis alongside Greece and the forthcoming German Bank Crisis are reasons why some of us wanted to be out of the EU...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Surely an equally important question and its utterly unknown is yes lots were sold, but with only 1 buyer in the room rather than 2 prices were probably lower than they might have been...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,111

Cicero said:

Nick Clegg.

No, we aren't agreed on that. Parliament washed its hands of the matter when it called the referendum, regardless of whether a particular clause was or was not inserted.

The actions of the losers here trying to frustrate democracy is hilarious. Keep on if you want to keep looking progressively sillier.
    Realistically, it won't happen. 51% of the voters voted for parties committed to a Referendum on EU membership, and 52% voted to Leave on a higher turnout. If MPs voted now to Remain, they'd face carnage at a subsequent general election (and the Conservative Party would be especially split).
  • Options

Cicero said:

Nick Clegg.

Who is using your family brain cell at the moment as it clearly isn't you.

I set my views out a few weeks ago on this.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    chestnut said:

And then the Deutsche Bank crisis may come from behind and bulldoze both as the bail in/out required is going to be humongous.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Parliament is the voice of the people. As the people have spoken on this specific issue, there is no need for parliament to revisit the question. The Remain campaign made most of the predictions regarding Brexit that are now being worried about and the electorate voted for Leave in the knowledge of that. "But I didn't think they meant it" isn't a good enough excuse.

I just knew all along that sooner or later the Tories would come up with this kind of nonsense.

Very sorry, Mr Herdson, but the people have not spoken on this specific issue. They were presented with a question couched in the vaguest of terms, with no indication within the question aout the practical implications or consequences.

The glosses put on the question during the course of the campaign were exaggerated, contradictory and completely impractical, and all dreamed up by unscrupulous leading Conservative politicians.

If I remember rightly, we were asked to vote for an extra 35 millino pounds to be spend each week (or was it each day?) on the NHS. That was what people voted for. When are Cameron, Osborn, Leadsom and May going to deliver on that?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,372
    MTimT said:

Ally_B said:

Only if you are paid in sterling.
    Also it was obviously your choice to keep your money in UK bank whilst living abroad, not a very wise move. No doubt you will have made a killing the other way at times , you cannot have your cake and eat it.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,443
    chestnut said:

The Italian banking crisis has already unfolded! The only question is whether it will be resolved via bail-ins, government recapitalisation, or a bad bank
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    eek said:

PlatoSaid said:

The Dallas police chief is doing a very dignified and firm job at his press conf. Impressive guy.

Mayor of Dallas has also done a sterling job, what a horrible situation. Final shooter blew himself up with a bomb.

Sorry but WTF
    Robot remote controlled bombs have been around since WW2
  • Options

Even in an age of ridiculousness there is something preposterous about the sight of so many prominent Leavers clutching their pearls in horror as they contemplate the possibility – the real possibility – that Andrea Leadsom could become the next leader of the Conservative party and, by golly, Prime Minister too.

I mean, where do they think she came from? Who created her? Mrs Leadsom’s credentials to occupy the highest political office in the land come down to one single fact: she is the most virulently eurosceptic candidate available. That’s a powerful thing, however, and those Leavers who think their creation can be safely kept in the laboratory may yet have cause to regret their complacency. Because it’s not as easy as that. Sometimes things escape.
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/07/brexit-encouraged-eruption-nasty-tawdry-nativism-anyone-surprised/

Even in the age of ridiculousness, this is a truly ridiculous article.

This whole campaign and post referendum is extraordinary in how it has peeled back the patina of rationality to expose raw emotions on both sides of the issue, regardless of political party.

Makes me wonder whether we were overdue such a political bloodletting.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Alistair said:

eek said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sorry but WTF
    Robot remote controlled bombs have been around since WW2

I thought they meant the shooter's bomb. I presume they just fired at it.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

This whole campaign and post referendum is extraordinary in how it has peeled back the patina of rationality to expose raw emotions on both sides of the issue, regardless of political party.

We were. We've reached a turning point, like the early 1920's, where political certainties are turned on their head. Where the article is correct, is that you can never be sure where you'll end up in a time of great political upheaval.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

It's by Alex Massie. His referendum coverage has hardly covered him in glory. His article post-Jo Cox was disgusting. I read him because we all need to avoid living in a bubble where we only read things we agree with. I do find him very hard to take.
  • Options

Cicero said:

Nick Clegg.

In the real world, Parliament asked us to make a decision, we have, and now the government will implement it as we directed.

But if you want to advocate that Parliament overrides the referendum with a subsequent vote, you can. You're not the one who will lose his seat because of it.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

I just knew all along that sooner or later the Tories would come up with this kind of nonsense.

Very sorry, Mr Herdson, but the people have not spoken on this specific issue.
    Yes they have.
  • Options

Cicero said:

Nick Clegg.

In the real world, Parliament asked us to make a decision, we have, and now the government will implement it as we directed.

But if you want to advocate that Parliament overrides the referendum with a subsequent vote, you can. You're not the one who will lose his seat because of it.
    Whoosh.
  • Options
    John_M said:

MTimT said:

It's by Alex Massie. His referendum coverage has hardly covered him in glory. His article post-Jo Cox was disgusting. I read him because we all need to avoid living in a bubble where we only read things we agree with. I do find him very hard to take.
    As Raphael Behr said, the vote punctured the prevailing belief among both Conservative and Labour politicians that there is a natural centrist, liberal, majority among the electorate. Alex Massie still hasn't come to terms with that.
  • Options

Cicero said:

Nick Clegg.

But the Parliamentary vote won’t be next week or even, probably this year and might not even be until 2018, given the elections elsewhere. Events will have moved on by then.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    chestnut said:

Italian stockmarket up 3% today.
This discussion has been closed.