Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » 10 Tips for the Tory Leadership contest

SystemSystem Posts: 11,694
edited July 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » 10 Tips for the Tory Leadership contest

We have just been through a highly divisive referendum campaign and apart from the country itself, nothing was more divided than the Conservative Party. However, divisions can be, and are being, overplayed. Some in the media would have you believe that the Tories are split into two immutably hostile blocks. They’re not.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    First like Andrea. :)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    Second - like Leadsome.....
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Second - like Leadsome.....

Who's Leadsome ?
  • Options
    Curious Crabb is currently in second place:

Our latest Conservative leadership election MP tally. May 97, Crabb 21, Gove 20, Leadsom 20, Fox 7

http://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2016/07/whos-backing-who-our-running-list-of-mps-supporting-each-leadership-candidate.html
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    If Gove is eliminated surely almost all his votes will transfer to Leadsom.

That will give Leadsom way more votes than Crabb pre any tactical voting.

I think the gap will be too great for May supporters to try to get Crabb in the Final - it will be better for May to win the MPs vote by a massive margin which will then give her huge momentum going into the members.

Members won't want to go against the MPs if May has well over 50% of MPs - and looks like she has every chance of that.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    One other big positive for May which hasn't been mentioned is that the members ballot will be taking place over the summer when politics is quiet - Parliament won't be sitting and all the big political TV programmes will be off air for the summer.

That helps May enormously because it will significantly reduce the scope for Leadsom to build any momentum - because members simply won't see enough of her.

Contrast with the Cameron / Davis members ballot which took place principally in November with the result declared in early December.

Add in the fact that many members will return their ballot papers soon after they receive them and many will also be on holiday for much of the period.

It all points to May just getting as many MP votes as possible (ie no messing around with tactical voting) - preferably over 50% - and then the whole thing just becoming a fait accompli.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Absolutely sound analysis, as far as I can see at this stage, David. Unless something totally unexpected comes up between now and September, I can't really see what will stop May. Which is a pity, as she is rather too authoritarian for my taste. For instance, I'd like pot to be legalised and taxed, and another look at hard drugs policy, but I can't see her agreeing to that.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    On our immigration policy after Brexit, it occurs to me that there is a significant difference between EU citizens currently in the UK, and those who might come in the future. We should consider, if the EU is being reasonable, giving the former indefinite leave to remain if they can prove they were resident in Britain on say 1/1/17, while the latter should have to go through whatever system we decide to put in place. Same with Brits in Europe of course. If they'll give us financial passports in exchange for that, so much the better. The alternative is 2.5 million pissed off citizens arriving home having been kicked out - that should terrify their governments, if it can be blamed on them.

Also between migrants from the old EU-15, essentially Western Europe, and A10 (Eastern Europe plus Malta and Cyprus). Brits can work in the former, without much of a drop in income (or in some cases increasing it) while the latter have much less to offer in exchange for freedom of movement. We might give Malta and Cyprus special deals because of their small size and ties to the UK. So one size won't fit all for immigration policy post-Brexit.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,920
    edited July 2016
    Morning. Good analysis David, thanks. Great to hear from someone with so much experience in the party; for a lot of members, myself included, this will be their first leadership election.

Great last sentence to the article, that the jumped up Hattie Hatemens of this world will go nuts about a second Tory woman PM just makes it better!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,920
    Fishing said:

Absolutely sound analysis, as far as I can see at this stage, David. Unless something totally unexpected comes up between now and September, I can't really see what will stop May. Which is a pity, as she is rather too authoritarian for my taste. For instance, I'd like pot to be legalised and taxed, and another look at hard drugs policy, but I can't see her agreeing to that.

Agree with you about drugs policy, hopefully the recent moves on cannabis in the US will help change opinion over time but there are lots of vested interests in the current rubbish system.

IMHO you have to have an extreme policy on drugs rather than a mushy middle way. Either go with the Portugal/Colorado approach or the Thailand/Singapore/Dubai approach.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    I think an early election is a non-starter.

Brexit has had pan-european, possibly world wide effects. There is a lot of pressure from outside the UK to have a clear timetable and process for the UK to Leave the EU ASAP.

Within the UK, I doubt the parliamentary conservative party really want to risk not following thru with Leave. That would create internal problems for the Conservative Party, and external problems with their voter coalition. Its a lot easier to just follow thru with Leave, and use the successful UK-EU negotiation, and some shiny non-EU trade deals to win the next election.
  • Options
    If the final two is Leadsom vs May, I like Leadsom's chances.

1. She's the Leave candidate
    2. She's the private sector experience candidate
    3. She's the JFK vs Nixon candidate (Ms Leadsom is tanned and good in debate, Ms Fox is colourless and reputedly not so good at debates.)

That said, I'm currently anyone-but-gove, so I could live with either.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

Curious Crabb is currently in second place:

Our latest Conservative leadership election MP tally. May 97, Crabb 21, Gove 20, Leadsom 20, Fox 7

http://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2016/07/whos-backing-who-our-running-list-of-mps-supporting-each-leadership-candidate.html

Ugh insomnia.

Crabb went out quickly and has hardly moved since really, he seems to have a small but solid support base and will hope to cash it in later on.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

Cheers Mr Herdson, a very good article, superb cartoon - and a witty dig in the conclusion.

What's not to like.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited July 2016
    Having watched three previous Tory leadership battles - I'm very wary of the strange things that can happen/tactical voting of MPs.

As deals are done behind the scenes - votes can chop and change in unexpected ways, and of course what MPs say in public may not be what actually happens in the ballot as they try to catch rival candidates out.

I'm waiting for Tuesday. I do like the Tory's way of doing this - all the nail-biting fun of proper knock-out rounds - and a final popular vote.
  • Options
    I watched "This Week" from thursday night, there was a journalist on there who's name escapes me who acted like a poster on comment is free in the Guardian. She was nuts, it was all a Blairite conspiracy, Brexit was all about austerity, Corbyn has massive appeal amongst the voters....
    It's at this point I have to ask; do such people ever leave their own left wing bubble? Much like the media at Westminster that get accused of never leaving their own comfortable bubble, Corbynites only seem to run along with other Corbynites (which sounds like Corbomite from the classic Star Trek ep, insomnia ok) which leaves them with a warped sense of reality. They keep chuntering on about representing their members, but never about representing their voters, which are a much larger and much more diverse group of people who actually put the party where it is.
    At this rate we could have a political party in the UK with highest % of members to voters in our history, whilst the one in power will have a a tiny % and in many ways isn't that preferable? We want parties to shoot for mass appeal, not be a well funded pressure group especially under FPTP where they can be ignored.
  • Options
    Also; interesting to see Carswell in parliament and then the later comments by Farage....will he return to the Tories now?
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

Also; interesting to see Carswell in parliament and then the later comments by Farage....will he return to the Tories now?

If he gets expelled by UKIP? I think so.
  • Options

HaroldO said:

He might go on his own, he clearly dislikes old Nige' and the idea with working with Farage v2 with a smug upgrade cannot appeal.
  • Options
    If Theresa May polls extremely strongly in the early rounds – on the current count, she has more backers than the rest put together, albeit with more than half the MPs still to declare – some may take the opportunity to try to lever an easier rival onto the members’ ballot paper.
    Guido says he's hearing May supporters are anti-Gove, so pro-Leadsom.

"Rumours are doing the rounds that several as yet undeclared Theresa May supporters are considering endorsing Andrea Leadsom in order to keep Michael Gove off the ballot."

http://order-order.com/2016/07/01/may-supporters-plot-keep-gove-off-ballot/
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

He might go on his own, he clearly dislikes old Nige' and the idea with working with Farage v2 with a smug upgrade cannot appeal.
    True. Before switching to UKIP he triggered a by-election. To switch to the Conservatives, he'd probably trigger another. Sitting as an independent would avoid that, and he has no real prospects of a government position during this parliament anyway. (he did once say he'd like to be 'the last Minister for Europe').

• Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Fishing said:

On our immigration policy after Brexit, it occurs to me that there is a significant difference between EU citizens currently in the UK, and those who might come in the future. We should consider, if the EU is being reasonable, giving the former indefinite leave to remain if they can prove they were resident in Britain on say 1/1/17, while the latter should have to go through whatever system we decide to put in place. Same with Brits in Europe of course. If they'll give us financial passports in exchange for that, so much the better. The alternative is 2.5 million pissed off citizens arriving home having been kicked out - that should terrify their governments, if it can be blamed on them.

Also between migrants from the old EU-15, essentially Western Europe, and A10 (Eastern Europe plus Malta and Cyprus). Brits can work in the former, without much of a drop in income (or in some cases increasing it) while the latter have much less to offer in exchange for freedom of movement. We might give Malta and Cyprus special deals because of their small size and ties to the UK. So one size won't fit all for immigration policy post-Brexit.

Are you seriously suggesting deportation of people currently living here?

This referendum has exposed some crackpots.
  • Options
    JennyFreemanJennyFreeman Posts: 488
    edited July 2016
    This article is only about 6/10 right. Boris was never ever the favourite, neither amongst MPs nor the membership. He was only ever favourite beyond the party, which has zilch say.

Theresa May is the favourite and that's her biggest problem.

Her second biggest problem is that she doesn't really support Brexit, or at least she was flakey. The membership may love her but they also wanted to Leave the EU. Once Leadsom attacks May over this and all the other Leavers, including Gove and Boris, join in then Theresa May could have problems.

Whatever David has written here, the next four years will be the Brexit Government. That is what will define it for all time.

Andrea Leadsom, tipped here a while back, is beginning to look like a very very good bet.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194

If Theresa May polls extremely strongly in the early rounds – on the current count, she has more backers than the rest put together, albeit with more than half the MPs still to declare – some may take the opportunity to try to lever an easier rival onto the members’ ballot paper.

"Rumours are doing the rounds that several as yet undeclared Theresa May supporters are considering endorsing Andrea Leadsom in order to keep Michael Gove off the ballot."

Yes, Theresa won't have complete control of this sort of thing. Even if she would like her supporters to play it with a straight bat, they may have other ideas.
  • Options

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

True. Before switching to UKIP he triggered a by-election. To switch to the Conservatives, he'd probably trigger another. Sitting as an independent would avoid that, and he has no real prospects of a government position during this parliament anyway. (he did once say he'd like to be 'the last Minister for Europe').

Just seen him on QT....he is off as soon as he can, he cannot stand UKIP clearly and will be off as soon as possible.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,055
    edited July 2016
    Is there a possibility that Gove will withdraw if he gets to the final round? He's always said he didn't want to be PM, and I wonder if his standing was more to stifle Boris than a real attempt at becoming PM.

Is Gove's heart really in it?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Having watched three previous Tory leadership battles - I'm very wary of the strange things that can happen/tactical voting of MPs.

As deals are done behind the scenes - votes can chop and change in unexpected ways, and of course what MPs say in public may not be what actually happens in the ballot as they try to catch rival candidates out.

I'm waiting for Tuesday. I do like the Tory's way of doing this - all the nail-biting fun of proper knock-out rounds - and a final popular vote.

Recent weeks should remind us that politicians are prepared to do anything to feather their own nest, there are plenty of twists and turns ahead as the lowlife jockeys for position. Thus far May seems to be rising above it but she'll end up in the gutter, they all do.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

Carswell is getting a load of hate in my timeline - all along the lines of *he was never one of us/he came here to wreck us/go back to the Tories you git*

Post-Brexit, hardcore Nigel fans have no need for Carswell - not something I can pretend to understand, but then again who does know WTF is going on right now? :open_mouth:

If he gets dumped by UKIP, I expect him to stay as in Indy for a while.
  • Options

Is there a possibility that Gove will withdraw if he gets to the final round? He's always said he didn't want to be PM, and I wonder if his standing was more to stifle Boris than a real attempt at becoming PM.

He won't get to the final round. He's managed to finish off both Boris and himself. It's more likely I think that he did it to put a jack under Leadsom's chances. She would appoint Gove to chancellorship or, more likely, to head up the Brexit negotiations. That's the sort of thing at which he would excel.
  • Options
    Interestingly, the Conservative party leadership election system makes a Corbyn-like outcome unlikely. The winning candidate pretty much has to be popular with both MPs and party members. It's not an absolute guarantee -- in principle, a candidate could come second in the first round with just 5% of the vote, then get 95% support from party members -- but it would take considerable contrivance for the Conservatives to get a leader who can't command the confidence of their MPs but still has massive support in the party at large.

Labour would never dream of switching to their enemy's voting system, of course, but if they'd used it at their last leadership election they might have avoided some of their current problems.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

HaroldO said:

Carswell is getting a load of hate in my timeline - all along the lines of *he was never one of us/he came here to wreck us/go back to the Tories you git*

Post-Brexit, hardcore Nigel fans have no need for Carswell - not something I can pretend to understand, but then again who does know WTF is going on right now? :open_mouth:

If Ukip dump Carswell I go with him. There is a sector of the party that is completely bonkers.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Andrea Leadsom, tipped here a while back, is beginning to look like a very very good bet.

Gove's odd's are getting longer (17/1?) on Betfair. If you assume there has to be a Leave candidate in the final two then you might want to have both Leadsom and Gove.

• Options
    p.s. Minister for State for Energy and Economic Secretary to the Treasury aren't entirely worthless experience in Gov't.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Makes sense - Leadsom has a big following on social media. I don't expect that to influence too many Tory members, but it will have an impact on the MPs. IIRC Aaron Banks has offered to fund her campaign as a Brexiteer.

The stand-off between May vs Leadsom would be a cracking fight.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,427
    Having chatted to colleagues I think May would prefer to have Gove in the final two than anyone else. His behaviour means that right now the membership would rather nail him to the Tory tree rather than elevate him to the top of it.

The MPs ballots will be interesting, first will give a big hint of where things are heading. Suspect it will be Fox last, Leadsom ahead of him and Gove and Crabb broadly the same needing binoculars to see May who will be way out in front. Fox will be eliminated and Leadsom may have to drop out if the addition of Fox votes don't give her a realistic chance of overhauling person 3. Otherwise second ballot is where she ends. Outside chance that if May gets over 200 on first ballot contest ends there and then. Historical irony would be 204.

Suspect MPs section will be over on Thursday. Then I suspect the members ballot will be May/Gove or May/Crabb.

May will win in either scenario but the margins will be very different. It will probably be in the region of 75/25 against Gove but nearer 60/40 against Crabb.

It is very very difficult to imagine a plausible scenario where May doesn't dominate this contest now from start to finish.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    PlatoSaid said:

HaroldO said:

Should Carswell leave, then what happens to UKIP’s short money? – they only receive parliamentary funding by the grace of their sole MP, IIRC.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Makes sense - Leadsom has a big following on social media. I don't expect that to influence too many Tory members, but it will have an impact on the MPs. IIRC Aaron Banks has offered to fund her campaign as a Brexiteer.

Yes I'd like that. It was Cameron who drove me (and plenty of others) away from the conservatives. I'm far from going back but plenty of Kippers will be far more accommodating of either of those two ladies, I like them both.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

He won't get to the final round. He's managed to finish off both Boris and himself. It's more likely I think that he did it to put a jack under Leadsom's chances. She would appoint Gove to chancellorship or, more likely, to head up the Brexit negotiations. That's the sort of thing at which he would excel.
    Is it? I don't think the politicians generally have a major role in detailed negotiation, do they? They have to take decisions about options presented to them by their negotiators but that's not quite the same thing. And they have a major role in providing political input so that any deal can be 'sold' effectively. Finally they need to be able to build up good personal relationships with their counterparts on the other side. A feature of many of the most difficult negotiations throughout history is how apparently sworn enemies have emerged as lifelong friends through the course of negotiations. Does that sound like Gove?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

PlatoSaid said:

Recent weeks should remind us that politicians are prepared to do anything to feather their own nest, there are plenty of twists and turns ahead as the lowlife jockeys for position. Thus far May seems to be rising above it but she'll end up in the gutter, they all do.
    Yes - amidst all the noise last week there were two great quotes about Boris, who was already at it: "the trouble is that he has promised a hundred jobs to three hundred people" and "Boris promised different jobs to the same person and the same job to different people".
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    edited July 2016

This article is only about 6/10 right. Boris was never ever the favourite, neither amongst MPs nor the membership. He was only ever favourite beyond the party, which has zilch say.

Her second biggest problem is that she doesn't really support Brexit, or at least she was flakey. The membership may love her but they also wanted to Leave the EU. Once Leadsom attacks May over this and all the other Leavers, including Gove and Boris, join in then Theresa May could have problems.

Whatever David has written here, the next four years will be the Brexit Government. That is what will define it for all time.

I think you are overestimating her. She is still very junior and to misquote a man with whom I almost never agreed, this is not the time for a political novice. Managing the parliamentary party and timing the election are going to take a great deal of skill and there is insufficient evidence that she has it. I suspect her real goal is Lord Privy Seal (or CDL, or Lord President) and Minister for Brexit, which I think she would be very good at. Gove won't get through because he's a knob. Fox won't because he's a much bigger knob.

I do not see that there will be a problem with two lukewarm remainers in the final round, as long as they are clear they are going to follow through on out.

The big unknown is whether there will be another migration crisis this summer dominating the airwaves when members are voting. If there is - and I'd say it's evens there will be - that could really hurt May. It will shine an unforgiving spotlight on her record and remind remainers that they lost because of migration and leavers that she failed to control it.

Therefore there is still value in Crabb. Yes, he's a remainer. Yes, he's young and he's only been in Cabinet two years. Yes, he's not well known. But he is also the candidate most likely to get to the final two after May, and least likely to run into 'events'. As David notes, very often these elections are decided negatively. He's the one with the fewest potential negatives.

Also ask yourself this - when was the last time the second favourite won a Tory leadership contest? With the arguable exception of Major, it would be 1957. Boris' elimination might just leave May as the Hailsham candidate.
  • Options
    Gove/Boris;

It seems to me that Gove was the brains behind the partnership, not an original thought but it seems closest to the truth. Gove did the leg work making the team work, and Boris did his homework for once and carried the argument through....but for his own reasons that would have riled Gove. The only common ground they had was to win.
    After the dust had settled Gove was sat there with Boris, they began to plan ahead for the leadership and all he could see is him doing all the leg work once again whilst Boris took the credit. Left alone Boris has no idea how to create a cabal of support, once Gove stabbed his knife into the blonde ones back (I don't think he stabbed Cameron myself, he has been clear for years about his EU beliefs) Boris had no way forward.
    Then Gove has taken a step I didn't expect; he went for the limelight himself and to take some of the Brexiteer support.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    ToryJim said:

Having chatted to colleagues I think May would prefer to have Gove in the final two than anyone else. His behaviour means that right now the membership would rather nail him to the Tory tree rather than elevate him to the top of it.

The MPs ballots will be interesting, first will give a big hint of where things are heading. Suspect it will be Fox last, Leadsom ahead of him and Gove and Crabb broadly the same needing binoculars to see May who will be way out in front. Fox will be eliminated and Leadsom may have to drop out if the addition of Fox votes don't give her a realistic chance of overhauling person 3. Otherwise second ballot is where she ends. Outside chance that if May gets over 200 on first ballot contest ends there and then. Historical irony would be 204.

Suspect MPs section will be over on Thursday. Then I suspect the members ballot will be May/Gove or May/Crabb.

May will win in either scenario but the margins will be very different. It will probably be in the region of 75/25 against Gove but nearer 60/40 against Crabb.

It is very very difficult to imagine a plausible scenario where May doesn't dominate this contest now from start to finish.

I could see May vs Gove being the final two, I think May vs Crabb is moonbeams. At least one of the final two will be a Leave MP.
  • Options

I'd agree with a lot of that. Does anyone have the latest polling guesstimates re % of Tory members Leave/Remain?

I'm very wary of *I took soundings* posts either way on here. The fellow Tory members they seem to know agree with their own personal view. Shock.

• Options
    edited July 2016

PlatoSaid said:

HaroldO said:

Should Carswell leave, then what happens to UKIP’s short money? – they only receive parliamentary funding by the grace of their sole MP, IIRC.
    And it's a lot, due to the system of working out the amount based on voted, not seats. Carswell never wanted to take it, so his position is reasonably clear. But I am sure UKIP would want it, particularly as their EU funding will be coming to an end (as an aside, there was an obvious humerous retort to UKIP accusations about all those EU-funded experts, which no-one used during the campaign!).

One reason why they may not be so quick to boot him out. It also would make them look stupid at their finest hour.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Latest Sky News numbers :

May 95 .. Crabb 22 .. Leadsom 20 .. Brutus 18 .. Fox 7
  • Options

Gove definitely took one for TeamBrexit. Only he could take Boris out - and he did it with a single killer blow. He's handed Leadsom a whole programme for HMG too via his 5000 speech. None of this looks accidental to me.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

I'd agree with a lot of that. Does anyone have the latest polling guesstimates re % of Tory members Leave/Remain?

I'm very wary of *I took soundings* posts either way on here. The fellow Tory members they seem to know agree with their own personal view. Shock.

Well quite, the referendum proved that those allegedly close to the action actually know very little, they're all too busy agreeing with each other. I won't name the Labour activist who said he hadn't met a single Leaver, let alone the prominent Tory who was heavily backing Leave at 65% +.

Politics is full of nodding dog sycophants.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

If I'm reading it correctly Opinium say Con voters were Leave 57%, Remain 43%.

p.11
    http://ourinsight.opinium.co.uk/sites/ourinsight.opinium.co.uk/files/vi_28_06_2016_v2.pdf

More even than I expected. I would assume party members would be more pro-Leave, but that could be wishful thinking.

Unknown IDS beat well known Ken Clarke with the membership in 2001 though. That had to be about the EU.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

I could see May vs Gove being the final two, I think May vs Crabb is moonbeams. At least one of the final two will be a Leave MP.
    Why? Leave has won. But there is every reason to think it won in spite of a pretty lacklustre campaign whose sole redeeming feature was that it was less mind-blowingly inept than Remain's. The key consideration will be, who can clean up the mess? And here, the poor quality (Gove, Fox) and political inexperience (Leadsom) of the Leavers is going to be an issue. Moreover they are associated with division and strife when the party needs healing and calm.

If May does not top every ballot of MPs I will be amazed. I would be surprised to see Leadsom make the final two with her. Not jaw on the floor surprised, but definitely raised eyebrows.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Gove definitely took one for TeamBrexit. Only he could take Boris out - and he did it with a single killer blow. He's handed Leadsom a whole programme for HMG too via his 5000 speech. None of this looks accidental to me.
    I don't believe this Gove was working with/for Leadsom line.

I also don't see that Ms Leadsom would necessarily adopt the policies Mr Gove floated. She'll have her own preferences, and there be factions within the parliamentary party and country to court.

The only focus of the rest of this government will be foreign policy/trade. The UK-EU deal, non-EU trade deals (india favourite I think), and possibly a loose ex-EU alliance CANZUK (Canada, Australia, NZ, UK).

http://reaction.life/so-what-next/
  • Options

The obvious answer JJ is that he has no heart - any teacher will tell you he keeps going out of pure spite!

(Autocorrect Freudian slip of the century - it changed 'pure' to 'our'!) :smiley:
  • Options

ToryJim said:

We will have a better idea after round 1 but its not totally impossible for Crabb to get through. I agree it would be better if a Leaver was in the contest. I don't buy the argument that the next PM has to be a Leaver, in fact with 48% on the other side there's a better argument for it not being to give reassurance etc. I tend to think continued use of the labels is perpetuating division, the people spoke and all politicians should now be democrats implementing the decision.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Well quite, the referendum proved that those allegedly close to the action actually know very little, they're all too busy agreeing with each other. I won't name the Labour activist who said he hadn't met a single Leaver, let alone the prominent Tory who was heavily backing Leave at 65% +.

I'd forgotten about that Labour activist. I do wonder exactly which wards he was canvassing - and why was he canvassing them at all?!
  • Options

3. She's the JFK vs Nixon candidate (Ms Leadsom is tanned and good in debate, Ms Fox is colourless and reputedly not so good at debates.)

I keep hearing that Leadsom was good in the debates. I agree she came over as personable and reasonably sane, which weren't always the first impressions of people on the leave side. But in the last debate I saw, she had clearly been told to use the strapline "taking control" and she put it into every other sentence like some demented speak-your-weight machine. That may have been good for getting the words onto the tv news, but it did her no favours as far as appearing intelligent or thoughtful was concerned. Gisela was the better performer IMHO.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    ydoethur said:

ToryJim said:

Why?
    Because the parliamentary party split almost 50:50 Leave:Remain. This leadership election is a direct consequence of the referendum; Mr Cameron resigned because he felt a Leave MP should negotiate the UK-EU exit.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

I'd forgotten about that Labour activist. I do wonder exactly which wards he was canvassing - and why was he canvassing them at all?!
    Primrose Hill again. In the evening while Sean was walking the hill.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I keep hearing that Leadsom was good in the debates. I agree she came over as personable and reasonably sane, which weren't always the first impressions of people on the leave side. But in the last debate I saw, she had clearly been told to use the strapline "taking control" and she put it into every other sentence like some demented speak-your-weight machine. That may have been good for getting the words onto the tv news, but it did her no favours as far as appearing intelligent or thoughtful was concerned. Gisela was the better performer IMHO.
    It's ok to perform well when you are an unknown, it is how you go when you are a favourite that is the test.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

She was also, frankly, debating on her specialist subject. Would she be so good in the General knowledge section?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

We all have our preferences. I thought Ms Leadsom came over well. I also liked her behaviour in the morning after TV stuff.

LBC did an interview with her the other day, link below.
    https://audioboom.com/boos/4767097-listen-andrea-leadsom-makes-her-case-to-be-pm
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ToryJim said:

Why?
    Because the parliamentary party split almost 50:50 Leave:Remain. This leadership election is a direct consequence of the referendum; Mr Cameron resigned because he felt a Leave MP should negotiate the UK-EU exit.
    He resigned because his authority was shot, and someone else was needed to take things forward. It was never suggested that should be a Leaver.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ToryJim said:

Why?
    No, Cameron resigned because he felt he was not the right person to negotiate, having argued so strongly for remain. None of your other points negate the major problems I have identified with Leaver candidates.

I also think you are overestimating the importance of past labels on current votes. Unity and stability rather than ideological purity are going to be key. It might be different if Leave had somebody unambiguously good to put forward but the fact Leadsom is being talked up is a sign that they don't.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

If I'm reading it correctly Opinium say Con voters were Leave 57%, Remain 43%.

p.11
    http://ourinsight.opinium.co.uk/sites/ourinsight.opinium.co.uk/files/vi_28_06_2016_v2.pdf

More even than I expected. I would assume party members would be more pro-Leave, but that could be wishful thinking.

Unknown IDS beat well known Ken Clarke with the membership in 2001 though. That had to be about the EU.
    My experience of Tory members (mainly London) is that they are heavily pro-leave, and the smaller remain total was inflated by loyalty to their leader in any case.

But I would also think they see an opportunity to truly wipe the floor with the Labour Party this time, like 1983 but better. Some of them will be thinking who the best person for such a job might be.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ToryJim said:

Why?
    This is a little bit of a grey area. Wasn't it more that he felt that he, as somebody at the heart of the pro-remain campaign, was not best placed to carry it forward?

• Options
    ydoethur said:

ToryJim said:

Why? Leave has won. But there is every reason to think it won in spite of a pretty lacklustre campaign whose sole redeeming feature was that it was less mind-blowingly inept than Remain's. The key consideration will be, who can clean up the mess? And here, the poor quality (Gove, Fox) and political inexperience (Leadsom) of the Leavers is going to be an issue. Moreover they are associated with division and strife when the party needs healing and calm.

If May does not top every ballot of MPs I will be amazed. I would be surprised to see Leadsom make the final two with her. Not jaw on the floor surprised, but definitely raised eyebrows.
    I think this election may be another of those tricky to understand from the outside. How many called Corbyn's win right before it became a total walkover? And how wrong many got Brexit?

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    edited July 2016
    IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

HaroldO said:

And it's a lot, due to the system of working out the amount based on voted, not seats. Carswell never wanted to take it, so his position is reasonably clear. But I am sure UKIP would want it, particularly as their EU funding will be coming to an end (as an aside, there was an obvious humerous retort to UKIP accusations about all those EU-funded experts, which no-one used during the campaign!).

One reason why they may not be so quick to boot him out. It also would make them look stupid at their finest hour.
    Given that its UKIP we are talking about, that is exactly why Carswell will be gone very soon...

If the choice is Do the sensible thing, or screw things up and look like idiots, have you ever known UKIP not to go for the latter option....
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    ToryJim said:

ydoethur said:

ToryJim said:

Why?
    He resigned because his authority was shot, and someone else was needed to take things forward. It was never suggested that should be a Leaver.
    I've just re-read Mr Cameron's statement, and you're quite right he didn't advocate a Leave candidate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/david-cameron-announces-his-resignation---full-statement/

I however do. I'm also sure that at least one of the two final MPs will be a Leave candidate.

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

ydoethur said:

ToryJim said:

I think this election may be another of those tricky to understand from the outside. How many called Corbyn's win right before it became a total walkover? And how wrong many got Brexit?

I'd certainly agree with that. Plus, the state of flux in politics domestically and internationally means the whole scenario might change in 24 hours anyway. One terrorist attack, for example, could throw a huge wrench in all gears.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Fishing said:

He also seems to be suggesting that out of gratitude, the EU will offer us financial passporting. This referendum seems to have exposed alot of people who think the Tories won a 200 seat majority at the last election.
  • Options
    eek said:

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

HaroldO said:

Given that its UKIP we are talking about, that is exactly why Carswell will be gone very soon...

If the choice is Do the sensible thing, or screw things up and look like idiots, have you ever known UKIP not to go for the latter option....
    Fair point. And Labour too.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Fishing said:

He also seems to be suggesting that out of gratitude, the EU will offer us financial passporting. This referendum seems to have exposed alot of people who think the Tories won a 200 seat majority at the last election.
    And the Tories therefore know, that on Europe of all subjects, the leader's principal job will be to unite all sides, and stop a handful of nutters (from either side) on the Tory benches handing leverage to the opposition. Another reason why May is such a good choice.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

ydoethur said:

ToryJim said:

Why?
    I've just re-read Mr Cameron's statement, and you're quite right he didn't advocate a Leave candidate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/david-cameron-announces-his-resignation---full-statement/

I however do. I'm also sure that at least one of the two final MPs will be a Leave candidate.

But you are not a Tory MP (or at least, so far as I know)! If they have proven anything over the last 75 years it's that they tend to do the unexpected. They are also generally looking forward to the next problem rather than back at the last one (oddly Labour's history suggests they do the opposite).
  • Options

ToryJim said:

At the risk of being very reductive, what is Crabb's appeal? He was a complete no name before IDS resigned three months ago, has some unfortunate baggage re gay rights and voted Remain. He's pretty and okay on the telly.

His background before politics isn't much of anything either - nice chap, quite religious, charitable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Crabb
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good morning all.
    Andrea gaining strength this morning:
    https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/748983897405452289
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    PlatoSaid said:

ydoethur said:

ToryJim said:

I think pretty much everyone called Corbyn's win right, mostly the discussion here was about how and whether he could be stopped. The discussion re May has the same echoes.

In terms of the Brexit referendum, there were pointers each way on here. My own feeling was that there was too little to go on to call it and it could be anywhere up to 60/40 either way.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

HaroldO said:

If Ukip dump Carswell I go with him. There is a sector of the party that is completely bonkers.
    How much of the "short money", does Carswell allow UKIP HQ to spend? Also if he is kicked out of UKIP does that money end?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

ToryJim said:

At the risk of being very reductive, what is Crabb's appeal? He was a complete no name before IDS resigned three months ago, has some unfortunate baggage re gay rights and voted Remain. He's pretty and okay on the telly.

His background before politics isn't much of anything either - nice chap, quite religious, charitable.

Some think he has the Jarvis factor - a background that you would more commonly find on the other side, hence potential cross-over appeal. Like Jarvis, that is all he has, really.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220
    There is a tendency in Britain to overhype some previously unknown person who gives a good speech or interview. The same thing is happening to Leadsom. Sure, she was good in one debate. She was not so good in other interviews and a City AM article she wrote was, frankly, full of waffle. Her experience is good but limited and her political experience is even more limited.

This is about choosing a PM and the exit negotiations will only be one of the very many things the PM will need to deal with. I simply don't think Leadsom has the experience or has demonstrated the steel or the judgment yet to show that she is up to this job. It is very much bigger than simply being part of a team and saying some good lines in a TV debate. She has potential. Let Leadsom contribute as part of the team. But the top job?

At a time like this we need a serious, proven, experienced politician who has the experience and proven ability to do the patient detailed hard negotiating work with a range of allies on a range of matters, as well as all the other events which assail Prime Ministers.

This is not about rewarding the most effective Leave campaigner.

It's about electing a PM and that PM has to govern in the interests of the whole country and start to do something about starting to heal the divisions in the country which the referendum result has so painfully exposed.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ToryJim said:

Why?
    No, Cameron resigned because he felt he was not the right person to negotiate, having argued so strongly for remain. None of your other points negate the major problems I have identified with Leaver candidates.

I also think you are overestimating the importance of past labels on current votes. Unity and stability rather than ideological purity are going to be key. It might be different if Leave had somebody unambiguously good to put forward but the fact Leadsom is being talked up is a sign that they don't.
    Leadsom is being talked up because she impressed some people. Me for one.

You don't want Leave:Remain support to be a factor, but there's no way it can't be. We've just had a national debate on Leave:Remain. Con party members will likely have campaigned in that referendum, and who is the best PM to implement the result of that referendum will be the theme of this leadership election.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

PlatoSaid said:

HaroldO said:

How much of the "short money", does Carswell allow UKIP HQ to spend? Also if he is kicked out of UKIP does that money end?
    As I recall it was around 100k out,of 650k. And, yes, you have to have an MP AND be a registered political party to get it - designed to stop the NF, BNP etc getting any in the past.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,995
    Good morning, everyone.

Useful summary, Mr. Herdson.

Let's hope there is tactical voting. I backed Gove at 21 to finish last in the first round. He's since fallen to 5, Crabb's 4 and Fox 1.5. Tempted to put down a wodge [by my standards] on Fox, but can't decide whether that's wise or not. Crabb's odds have lengthened and Gove's shortened consistently over the last few days.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Incidentally although I have been stressing Crabb's chances, I would actually love to see May get it, if only to see the consternation it would cause the following:

1) Labour, who have had to manufacture roles for women to try to pretend that they're not a bunch of misogynists;

2) The 'right on' left, who will have to deal with the fact that both Britain's first female Prime Ministers were right-wing Tories;

3) Conservative Home, who wanted a Brexiteer;

4) George Osborne, who sent May to the Home Office to make sure she would never be his rival for the leadership;

5) The BBC, who having spent years attacking her in interviews are now going to have to grovel to her for information on the government.

Somebody who has seriously pissed off so many deeply unpleasant people can't be all bad, and watching their anger would be absolutely hilarious!
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

ToryJim said:

His appeal is on the Blue Collar Conservatism agenda. He's essentially in this contest to tee himself up for the next one.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

There is a tendency in Britain to overhype some previously unknown person who gives a good speech or interview. The same thing is happening to Leadsom. Sure, she was good in one debate. She was not so good in other interviews and a City AM article she wrote was, frankly, full of waffle. Her experience is good but limited and her political experience is even more limited.

This is about choosing a PM and the exit negotiations will only be one of the very many things the PM will need to deal with. I simply don't think Leadsom has the experience or has demonstrated the steel or the judgment yet to show that she is up to this job. It is very much bigger than simply being part of a team and saying some good lines in a TV debate. She has potential. Let Leadsom contribute as part of the team. But the top job?

At a time like this we need a serious, proven, experienced politician who has the experience and proven ability to do the patient detailed hard negotiating work with a range of allies on a range of matters, as well as all the other events which assail Prime Ministers.

It's about electing a PM and that PM has to govern in the interests of the whole country and start to do something about starting to heal the divisions in the country which the referendum result has so painfully exposed.

What she said.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Yes there were also those canvassing reports from northern cities that seemed to meet masses of REMAINers and rarely found a wwc voter going for LEAVE.
    Some of us did talk about the many thousands of leaflets being handed out down in the south and of trades people enthusiastically taking a LEAVE leaflet. It was the absence of REMAIN posters in LIB DEM main roads that convinced me that this referendum was leaning towards LEAVE.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

HaroldO said:

I was under the impression that Carswell wanted to accept 50% of Short Money, Farage was annoyed so said he didn't want any of it.

What eventually happened is unclear to me. If Carswell is expelled - does he get any? I presume not as he's not representative of enough national voters.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Bingo, this is about the next PM and on that count Leadsom shouldn't even be in the contest.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    IanB2 said:

If Labour wanted to recover, they should persuade Gisela to stand against Jezza. She is a good media performer and the voice of Labour Leave. It would be the only credible way to reposition the party to both acknowledge the outcome of the referendum, and to exploit it. Gisela is also someone the rightwingers could agree on on other issues. A Labour Leave figure against May at the despatch box would be quite strong, and with Leadsom could have a truly bipartisan approach.

It is not going to happen though, Labour would prefer to continue digging their own graves.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

You don't want Leave:Remain support to be a factor, but there's no way it can't be. We've just had a national debate on Leave:Remain. Con party members will likely have campaigned in that referendum, and who is the best PM to implement the result of that referendum will be the theme of this leadership election.

I couldn't care less what the factors are. I have no emotional investment in this fight the way you do. I am telling you what they will be. While you clearly desperately want a leaver, I have been explaining why the PCP will not see that as a plausible option. I don't think they will care about the opinion of diehard Leavers such as yourself anymore. You've won, and this is the next phase.

EDIT - but as ever, @Cyclefree said it much more elegantly and indeed eloquently than I could.
  • Options
    This election is choosing a PM, not a LOTO. The winner doesn't have several months or years to settle into the job, they've got to be on it from day one. A couple of months semi-exposure as a junior partner in a single issue campaign really doesn't cut it.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    PlatoSaid said:

She should turn down Aaron Banks's money

It will gain her precisely zero (and possibly negative) credit in

FWIW I chatted yesterday to someone who knew her quite well when she was in the City. Verdict was that she was perfect competent but didn't sparkle. He feels that she only stands out because of the limitations of the current crowd - he didn't think that, in the abstract, she would have the capabilities to be PM.

He also noted that her roles in the City were one's that didn't really require her to make difficult judgement calls: they were process orientated.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Cyclefree said:

I agree with your hype point. But I don't see that Ms May has "demonstrated the steel or the judgment yet to show that she is up to this job" any more than Gove/Leadsom.

The negotiation will be a team effort. The Conservatives are not picking a warrior-king.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Yes there were also those canvassing reports from northern cities that seemed to meet masses of REMAINers and rarely found a wwc voter going for LEAVE.
    Some of us did talk about the many thousands of leaflets being handed out down in the south and of trades people enthusiastically taking a LEAVE leaflet. It was the absence of REMAIN posters in LIB DEM main roads that convinced me that this referendum was leaning towards LEAVE.
    Canvassers generally and Labour canvassers particularly are trained from birth to go on about what a great session they have had on the doorstep, regardless of the reality. I am sure you have seen all those dumb "great reception tonight on Labour doorstep" type tweets. I expect the interview the OP saw was just more of the same.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    HaroldO said:

would they want him back...he is an odd one
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Useful summary, Mr. Herdson.

Let's hope there is tactical voting. I backed Gove at 21 to finish last in the first round. He's since fallen to 5, Crabb's 4 and Fox 1.5. Tempted to put down a wodge [by my standards] on Fox, but can't decide whether that's wise or not. Crabb's odds have lengthened and Gove's shortened consistently over the last few days.

Fwiw suspect ballot 1 will be May:Crabb:Gove:Leadsom:Fox
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    ydoethur said:

Incidentally although I have been stressing Crabb's chances, I would actually love to see May get it, if only to see the consternation it would cause the following:

1) Labour, who have had to manufacture roles for women to try to pretend that they're not a bunch of misogynists;

2) The 'right on' left, who will have to deal with the fact that both Britain's first female Prime Ministers were right-wing Tories;

3) Conservative Home, who wanted a Brexiteer;

4) George Osborne, who sent May to the Home Office to make sure she would never be his rival for the leadership;

5) The BBC, who having spent years attacking her in interviews are now going to have to grovel to her for information on the government.

Somebody who has seriously pissed off so many deeply unpleasant people can't be all bad, and watching their anger would be absolutely hilarious!

To be fair, May isn't Osborne's rival for the leadership.

Osborne would be a good nomination to head up the Brexit department.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

PlatoSaid said:

HaroldO said:

It goes. It's supposed to fund the parliamentary opposition, not the general party.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

That's exactly my take on this
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Cyclefree said:

Precisely

YES WE MAY
This discussion has been closed.