Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The skids are under Jeremy. Members should get the chance t

Comments

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited July 2016

If Theresa May does indeed become Tory Leader and Prime Minister as appears likely, do PBers agree with me that this is likely to improve the chances of a woman succeeding Jeremy Corbyn as Labour leader?
    Just a few short days ago HenryG's pick, Lisa Nandy, was quoted at short single digit odds to win this prize, but has since drifted out to 30 with Betfair - is she perhaps worth another look?

Lisa Nandy is facing deselection I think.

EDIT
    No. My mistake. The RMT are angry with her.

http://www.wigantoday.net/news/local/union-calls-for-nandy-to-resign-from-mp-post-1-7987223

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Come on Wales,don't sit back.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

1. Why are Mayites afraid of a run off against Leadsom?

2. What the feck is going on with the PLP? Surely they can make a deal with a Corbynite on the ballot and we can get on with the ballot.

I have a horrible feeling we might end up with tactical voting from May supporters to ensure Gove makes it through instead of Leadsom.
    Surely Crabb is the safe choice for tactical voting, seeing as he will clearly fold to May ?
    I meant in the final round if it's between May, Gove and Leadsom. May will probably have more than enough support to ensure an easy passage to the final two. It'll be between Gove and Leadsom, with May supporters believing they have a better chance of winning with the membership if they're against Gove. Therefore some of May's supporters vote for Gove in the final round to stop Leadsom.
    Guido says 111 votes gets you straight to the final.

Can those 111 MPs keep voting for the rest of the contest? If its a secret ballot it should be possible.
    111 doesn't actually get you to the final. 111 is the number you need voting for you it doesn't matter how the others vote - you'll always be in the top 2.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Andy King!

• Options

AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

2. What the feck is going on with the PLP? Surely they can make a deal with a Corbynite on the ballot and we can get on with the ballot.

I have a horrible feeling we might end up with tactical voting from May supporters to ensure Gove makes it through instead of Leadsom.
    Surely Crabb is the safe choice for tactical voting, seeing as he will clearly fold to May ?
    I meant in the final round if it's between May, Gove and Leadsom. May will probably have more than enough support to ensure an easy passage to the final two. It'll be between Gove and Leadsom, with May supporters believing they have a better chance of winning with the membership if they're against Gove. Therefore some of May's supporters vote for Gove in the final round to stop Leadsom.
    Guido says 111 votes gets you straight to the final.

Can those 111 MPs keep voting for the rest of the contest? If its a secret ballot it should be possible.
    111 doesn't actually get you to the final. 111 is the number you need voting for you it doesn't matter how the others vote - you'll always be in the top 2.
    Gotcha. Thanks.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Where's the EU, get the working time directive out, must be illegal for there to be any time added on.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127

1) These days everyone's afraid of sending anything to the people

2) You'd have thought - the current mess benefits no one. Not either faction or the country.
  • Options
    Someone buy that ref a leek
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Wales are going to win the tournament, aren't they? Everything going their way.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    The problem with the argument in the thread header is basically the fundamental problem that the Labour Party has. The "membership" cannot be given the option of rejecting Corbyn, without being forced to anoint somebody else in his place. Which, even if they decide to reject Corbyn, will result in Labour being led by a sub-optimum leader in his stead. Because, on the assumption that Labour isn't completely devoid of leadership talent, the best candidates will not put themselves forward because it is too great a risk to their future career. Even if they stand and win they will likely be hated by a significant proportion of the membership. They may think they are better off waiting until after the next election.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,313
    edited July 2016
    MaxPB said:

Yes, we should do all those things. In fact we could have done most of that years ago inside the EU. But we didn't, partly because the solutions are not obvious or easy. Hence the hideous 20%-odd rate of illiteracy and innumeracy which has been constant for many decades. I like your unfounded optimism you can fix these problems easily and quickly.

They also take time - education in particular takes decades to work through the system. In the meantime we're up sh*t creek; and that assumes such reforms actually work.

It will also severely damage the tech industry; as you say, the UK's seen as a hostile environment already, and the industry relies on educated immigrants. But that's what we voted for. Leavers were warned.

"we are being seen as a hostile environment for immigrants"

And that sums up my point. Hostile. And the people who are most hostile will only be much more hostile when they rightly feel they've been betrayed.

"Let's not throw it away by chasing an impossible policy of pulling up the drawbridge."

If you think it's an impossible policy, you should have voted remain instead of leave. Because that's what leave were selling.

No, leave was leaving the EU. Nothing more than that. If you want to read into their guff about immigration and money for the NHS that's up to you. As I said earlier, the question asked whether we should leave the EU, not whether we should restrict migration. If those who want that are upset they can continue to campaign for it and get a new referendum on ending free movement.

If it went to a vote, I'm confident that at least 60% would support keeping free movement and the single market. Remember only half of leave voters named immigration as their priority.
    Referendum proposition:

The United Kingdom should use a points-based system for immigration from countries in the European Economic Area.

Do you really think that would get less than 40% support?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,272
    WALES!
  • Options
    Get in!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,252
    Brexiteers 3 Brussels 1!!
  • Options
    Blimey, Wales!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Go Wales.
  • Options
    Wow - go Wales
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,459
    Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
  • Options
    I've always liked Wales best of the other Home Nations (Sorry Scotland and NI)
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    That is amazing. Absolutely brilliant.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Footballers, even Welsh footballers, are complete pansies.
  • Options
    Yes!
  • Options
    Robbie Savage is fecking annoying, though.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,272
    The commentary is hilarious!
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Magnificent :smiley:
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Yes, we should do all those things. In fact we could have done most of that years ago inside the EU. But we didn't, partly because the solutions are not obvious or easy. Hence the hideous 20%-odd rate of illiteracy and innumeracy which has been constant for many decades. I like your unfounded optimism you can fix these problems easily and quickly.

They also take time - education in particular takes decades to work through the system. In the meantime we're up sh*t creek; and that assumes such reforms actually work.

It will also severely damage the tech industry; as you say, the UK's seen as a hostile environment already, and the industry relies on educated immigrants. But that's what we voted for. Leavers were warned.

And that sums up my point. Hostile. And the people who are most hostile will only be much more hostile when they rightly feel they've been betrayed.

"Let's not throw it away by chasing an impossible policy of pulling up the drawbridge."

If you think it's an impossible policy, you should have voted remain instead of leave. Because that's what leave were selling.

I have been the "educated" outsider brought in because the locals couldn't do the job. For me it was a very happy experience. Oh, to be sure I knew that some didn't welcome my presence and even within the organisation for which I worked some didn't want me (wrong religion, wrong culture).

However, part of my contract was to train up some people so that never again would that country have need to import someone with my skillset. That, for me, was the best bit of the entire contract. Not only was the teaching and training fun in and of itself, but when I left I knew I had made a difference.

Now had I stayed, which but for Herself's ginger hair I probably would have, then I would have felt under serious pressure to stop being an expat and become a native in terms of culture, if not religion.
  • Options

He's so happy
  • Options
    Footballs coming home to an adjacent country to home.
  • Options

I actually like him as a commentator - he has an authenticity and naturalness to him.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,732

https://twitter.com/Coral/status/748980327452971008
  • Options
    John_M said:

Footballs coming home to an adjacent country to home.

We may compete in football separately, but we share an overriding nationality so we share the glory! That's what the union is about - sharing glory!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    How lucky are Wales ?

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,669

MaxPB said:

No, leave was leaving the EU. Nothing more than that. If you want to read into their guff about immigration and money for the NHS that's up to you. As I said earlier, the question asked whether we should leave the EU, not whether we should restrict migration. If those who want that are upset they can continue to campaign for it and get a new referendum on ending free movement.

If it went to a vote, I'm confident that at least 60% would support keeping free movement and the single market. Remember only half of leave voters named immigration as their priority.
    Referendum proposition:

The United Kingdom should use a points-based system for immigration from countries in the European Economic Area.

Yes. Not with that stupid question, but yes. If it meant losing single marker access, which the EU would absolutely insist in given their hatred of referendums the EEA option would win.
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    I literally just fell out my chair. If only Poland hadn't conceded that cheap equalizer I'd be half way to £6k off a 50p Lucky 15, 50p Acca and 4 50p trebles.
  • Options
    PB is now a Welsh football blog.

Only political bets allowed are ones parleyed with welsh victory betting
  • Options
    Alistair said:

How lucky are Wales ?

No luck just class
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Alistair said:

How lucky are Wales ?

No luck just class
    when you play like that, you earn the luck
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,685
    Fucking brilliant from Wales.

Can we officially move the capital of the UK there please?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    I have tipped Wales twice in the last fortnight.

Just sayin'
  • Options
    Alistair said:

How lucky are Wales ?

Just lucky enough
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Bye Bye Belgium.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,100
    edited July 2016

If Theresa May does indeed become Tory Leader and Prime Minister as appears likely, do PBers agree with me that this is likely to improve the chances of a woman succeeding Jeremy Corbyn as Labour leader?
    Just a few short days ago HenryG's pick, Lisa Nandy, was quoted at short single digit odds to win this prize, but has since drifted out to 30 with Betfair - is she perhaps worth another look at these odds?

At the moment I'm happily backing anyone and everyone as they drift out. It's been highly profitable so far....

In fact its getting to the point that I'll do better from the Labour Leadership than I did from the Referendum...

Edit to say -except for David Miliband who really needs to drift out so I can remove a large amount of locked in money
  • Options
    And they have the best National Anthem
  • Options

Alistair said:

How lucky are Wales ?

No luck just class
    They've played fantastically.

But.

They should have been down to 10 men and Belgium should also have had a penalty.
  • Options
    Forget drinks. Chris Coleman will never have to walk in Wales again, he'll be carried shoulder high for life
  • Options
    Alistair said:

How lucky are Wales ?

Yes they don't concede a blatant pen then score. Unbelievable. Deserved though, Belgium have been poor this half.
  • Options

And they have the best National Anthem

They should switch it up and do Men of Harlech.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,256
    MaxPB said:

You're having a laugh. You're rejecting the will of the people just as much as David Lammy. You're picking and choosing what the leave campaigns said to suit your own narrow purposes.

Perhaps you should have put a little more thought into what the leave campaigns were saying and, consequently, your own vote.

But you and others cynically thought you could use the leave voters to pursue your own narrow ends. It's classic bait-and-switch.

"If it went to a vote, I'm confident that at least 60% would support keeping free movement and the single market."

I'd like to think you were right, but I fear you are being extremely naive.
  • Options
    Still, it's good for those of us on them at 74/1! Missing a couple of key players for the semi - on the other hand, Portugal have hardly been impressive.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,313
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Referendum proposition:

Yes. Not with that stupid question, but yes. If it meant losing single marker access, which the EU would absolutely insist in given their hatred of referendums the EEA option would win.

http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org/restoring_public_trust_in_immigration_policy_a_points_based_non_discriminatory_immigration_system

You're not a democrat.
  • Options

Alistair said:

How lucky are Wales ?

No luck just class
    Ref missed a stone cold free kick/second yellow on the of the box and a marginal but definitely penalty.

They were very good but helluva lucky as well.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,252
    Final whistle, Wales 3 Belgium 1, well done Wales on a brilliant performance!
  • Options
    Amazingly I think Wales get through to the final, they play Portugal next who have looked poor all tournament.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,793
    They'll be celebrating in the streets of TNS tonight!
  • Options
    ChaosOdinChaosOdin Posts: 67
    Long time lurker, first time poster.

My father-in-law spent time with Corbyn at a funeral today, he was very impressed he went considering all that is going on.

He said he doesn't seem down at all. Perhaps the pressure isn't getting to him after all, no matter what Dan Hodges says.
  • Options
    Omg o mfucking g!!!!!!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Belgium didn't deserve to lose 3-1.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

You're having a laugh. You're rejecting the will of the people just as much as David Lammy. You're picking and choosing what the leave campaigns said to suit your own narrow purposes.

Perhaps you should have put a little more thought into what the leave campaigns were saying and, consequently, your own vote.

But you and others cynically thought you could use the leave voters to pursue your own narrow ends. It's classic bait-and-switch.

"If it went to a vote, I'm confident that at least 60% would support keeping free movement and the single market."

What was the question on the ballot paper?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Belgium is staggeringly good.

You were saying?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048

MaxPB said:

The polls show you are talking rubbish
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,732
    Victor D'Hondt, TintTin, Poirot, Jean-Claude Van Damme, can you hear me, can you hear me, your boys took one hell of a beating
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Still, it's good for those of us on them at 74/1! Missing a couple of key players for the semi - on the other hand, Portugal have hardly been impressive.

I think it might be time to cash out on Wales without Aaron Ramsey. Although Portugal are really crap. Damn, hard call.

Cash out half maybe?
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Enough. Please.

You've been banging this drum for hours and you're not convincing anyone else now.
  • Options
    Well done wales. And they voted for Brexit too!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

They let in three and only scored one. What else did they deserve!
  • Options
    So, England couldn't beat Iceland who are the world's 175th most populated country. I put it to the board that we need to work backwards and only enter tournaments with even fewer people. Our permitted opponents in future are:

Barbados, Vanatu, Samoa, Sao Tome, St Lucia, Kirbati, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines (an excellent name for a band, just saying), Grenada, Tonga, F.S. Micronesia, The Seychelles, Antigua and Barbuda, Andorra, Dominica, The Marshalls, St Kitts, Monaco, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Cook Islands, Palau, Tuvalu, Nauru, Niue and Vatican City.

If we're feeling ballsy we could see if we can tackle The Maldives.
  • Options
    You see that Junker! You see that!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,543
    Blimey, who would be a sheep in Wales tonight?
  • Options
    First 10 mins of the sec behalf were hilaruous, 10 mins of total Belgium domination, I took my eyes of the screen for 10 secs and Wales were 2-1 ahead.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Wales v Iceland final

:smile:
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,100
    MaxPB said:

Amazingly I think Wales get through to the final, they play Portugal next who have looked poor all tournament.

Ronaldo against Bale - and Ronaldo has been stressed all tournament. Bale really couldn't care less as you can tell by the smile on all the Welsh players throughout the match...
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Enough. Please.

You've been banging this drum for hours and you're not convincing anyone else now.
    I forgot you speak for all readers.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Wales reveals the newfound vigour of a tiny, indomitable nation that voted, by majority, to LEAVE the European Union. Allez!! Viva!! Bravo.

So, basically, small nations should stay outside the EU while large, torpid nations should stay within it?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

They chose to be belgian.
  • Options

They'll be celebrating in the streets of TNS tonight!

I always chuckle at that quote.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Lowlander said:

I think it might be time to cash out on Wales without Aaron Ramsey. Although Portugal are really crap. Damn, hard call.

Cash out half maybe?
    Andy King is the King of Football :-)

(Also LCFC's representation at the Euro's now)

Gladd I topped up on Wales at 55 earlier...
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Wales. What a Great British team.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Wales reveals the newfound vigour of a tiny, indomitable nation that voted, by majority, to LEAVE the European Union. Allez!! Viva!! Bravo.

Diolch yn fawr ( thanks)
  • Options

MaxPB said:

The polls show you are talking rubbish
    You trust polls? Really? After what just happened? Methinks that's a classic example of hope over experience.

Mind you, at least you were honest about what you wanted.
  • Options
    John_M said:

So, England couldn't beat Iceland who are the world's 175th most populated country. I put it to the board that we need to work backwards and only enter tournaments with even fewer people. Our permitted opponents in future are:

Barbados, Vanatu, Samoa, Sao Tome, St Lucia, Kirbati, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines (an excellent name for a band, just saying), Grenada, Tonga, F.S. Micronesia, The Seychelles, Antigua and Barbuda, Andorra, Dominica, The Marshalls, St Kitts, Monaco, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Cook Islands, Palau, Tuvalu, Nauru, Niue and Vatican City.

And Wales ;)
  • Options
    Congrats to our Welsh PB posters,wish England had the passion of the Wales team.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited July 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmPA7zE8mx0
    The Labour Rebels continue their discussions on who shall challenge Corbyn...
  • Options
    John_M said:

Don't be ridiculous. They just need to persuade more people to play them at cricket or rugby instead.
  • Options

Lowlander said:

Cash out half maybe?

Wales are basically Allen, Ramsey and Bale.

Can Williams keep playing three tiers above his ability? He should have conceded a penalty tonight. Can Robson-Kanu do another Cruyff? Without Ramsey, Wales are going to hurt. Of course, Portugal are really, really crap and should not be in the semis.

I'd say if you've got a decent bet on Wales for the outright, cash half of it in. If you've got a small bet like me, maybe let it ride.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    So now we know for sure England's perennial failures are not about ability. It's organisation, focus, guts and calm.

Good for the Welsh. Just fantastic.
  • Options
    alex. said:

John_M said:

And Wales ;)
    The Titans of Wales? The 135th most populated country in the entire world? My good sir, I can only believe you drunk to venture such an opinion. They have ten times the people of Iceland. We would be humiliated.
  • Options
    Surely Wales are favourites against Portugal. Will that be their undoing?
  • Options
    John_M said:

alex. said:

John_M said:

And Wales ;)
    The Titans of Wales? The 135th most populated country in the entire world? My good sir, I can only believe you drunk to venture such an opinion. They have ten times the people of Iceland. We would be humiliated.
    Er. Technical point but we did get to play them little more than a week ago!
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    Cymru am byth
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nah can't be favourites. Not as talenred on paper ans missing Ramsay is a big loss.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    alex. said:

John_M said:

alex. said:

John_M said:

And Wales ;)
    Er. Technical point but we did get to play them little more than a week ago!
    That was before Iceland. We clearly fluked it previously :)
  • Options

You trust polls? Really? After what just happened? Methinks that's a classic example of hope over experience.

Mind you, at least you were honest about what you wanted.

48% voted to remain just now, you really think that 4% of the 52% of leave voters couldn't be convinced by the EEA argument. Most Tories I know voted to leave on the sovereignty argument. I don't doubt that immigration was a major driver of votes, but only half of leave voters listed it as the primary one. There is no mandate to ignore 16m people who voted to stay in the EU and single market and to retain free movement, this was nowhere near a landslide. You come across as bitter that you votes to remain at this point despite having been a leave supporter all the way through.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

One setback,Aaron Ramsey is suspended for Portugal match.
  • Options
    Fun fact. Moron is Welsh for carrot.
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

Cash out half maybe?

Wales are basically Allen, Ramsey and Bale.

Can Williams keep playing three tiers above his ability? He should have conceded a penalty tonight. Can Robson-Kanu do another Cruyff? Without Ramsey, Wales are going to hurt. Of course, Portugal are really, really crap and should not be in the semis.

I'd say if you've got a decent bet on Wales for the outright, cash half of it in. If you've got a small bet like me, maybe let it ride.
    I am on for £4 to win £120, am inclined to let it ride.

I have a bit on Italy too, who I fancy to put the Germans out.
  • Options

Congrats to our Welsh PB posters,wish England had the passion of the Wales team.

Thank you so much. We are so proud tonight and we voted 'leave' - dedicated to Juncker
  • Options
    SeanT said:

So now we know for sure England's perennial failures are not about ability. It's organisation, focus, guts and calm.

Good for the Welsh. Just fantastic.

Yes, it was never talent. As I said after the Iceland debacle, there's something wrong with the mentality - plus a history of failure which weighs heavy on a supposedly "major" football nation. A great coach could fix much of that.
    I think having a D-notice on reporting on the England team during a major tournament would help as well.
  • Options
    vikvik Posts: 157
    MaxPB said:

You're severely over-estimating the number of people who want open borders.

YouGov February 2013 & October 2012
    Only 22% think immigration from Eastern Europe was positive & 70% think immigration rules governing migration from Europe weren’t strict enough.

British Social Attitudes Survey 2014:
    77% of people want to see immigration reduced, with 56% wanting to see it reduced a lot.

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/briefingpaper/document/249
This discussion has been closed.