Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After the most dramatic post-war week in British politics t

SystemSystem Posts: 11,694
edited June 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After the most dramatic post-war week in British politics the first electoral tests: Tonight’s local by-elections

St. Michael’s (Con defence) on Bexley
Result of council at last election (2014): Conservatives 45, Labour 15, United Kingdom Independence Party 3 (Conservative majority of 27)
Result of ward at last election (2014) :

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    A very interesting crop of local by-elections tonight.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845
    edited June 2016
    Second like....

Theresa?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @AdamBienkov: Sadiq Khan asked who he'd like to be the next Tory leader: "I want a serious grown up, which is why it's good it won't be Boris Johnson"
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,347
    Those of us who still have to work for a living are finding this very hard to keep up with. When you get 900+ posts on a thread the temptation is just to give up.

As if this was not bad enough I have had in the last few days the election of a new Dean of Faculty and now have the election for Vice Dean (Gordon Jackson QC and former MSP having won the former from the latter position).
    Thank goodness I am going on holiday tomorrow night. I really need a break.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    This is from the Telegraph's chief political correspondent:

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/748552924687630336
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited June 2016
    Trump LIVE in Manchester, NH !
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXdIoDQHFiQ
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Evening all :)

Well, an interesting day to put it mildly.

As a non-Conservative and someone never likely to vote Conservative, I don't suppose my view on the leadership election matters so much but as people seem eager to comment on the LDs and Labour, I suppose that makes all parties fair game.

So we have May, Gove, Crabb, Leadsom and Fox in this handicap for three year olds of all ages. Johnson's failure to get to the start isn't the end for him - he would be the logical candidate IF the Conservatives lose the next election unless he's made Party Chairman as someone's idea of a joke.

As for the others, May has the form in the book but some questions to answer on some key issues. She's the great hope of the REMAIN camp in that with her it'll be EU-lite via the EEA with a sop or two on the ECHR I expect. To be fair, she's the obvious candidate for a Party desperate to regain some unity after a wretched spell.

Gove represents the LEAVE campaign where he did himself no harm but today has probably done him no favours. A possible "deal" with Osborne is reminscent of the Clarke-Redwood Pact of 1997 and that ended well. That said, his leadership would lead to a re-alignment in the REMAIN camp toward a post-Corbyn Labour party or Tim Farron's LDs.

Leadsom is interesting though economically she makes the Sahara look like a verdant oasis - I don't where she is on a range of other issues and how does she distinguish herself from Gove in the days to come ?

Crabb is Continuity Cameron so doomed.

Looking at Cameron and Corbyn yesterday, it struck me as Lame duck meets Dead duck.

Fox, well, there's always room for the novelty candidate in the tradition of Hugh Fraser in 1975 or perhaps Iain Duncan Smith in 2001 though the latter and the cardinal error of winning. Were Fox to prevail, it would be the ultimate revenge against Cameron.

To me, it looks like May vs either Gove or Leadsom in the last two. May would beat Gove among the leadership but may struggle against Leadsom.

For Conservatives, it's important to start from the basis Labour will come to its senses at some point - who do you want facing that nice Dan Jarvis across the Dispatch Box ?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    AndyJS said:

Of course she has, PB is on to it already.

The betting markets for May are starting to remind me of Remain.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    I get the impression Gove wasn't expecting Boris to drop out....
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

#TeamAndrea
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Does anyone actually know anything about Leadsom, other than she was a Leaver?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    Being the untainted, unFox Leaver doesn't half leave Leadsom as the compromise candidate.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Leadsom now 4/1 to be next PM with Betfair Exchange.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Of course she has, PB is on to it already.

The betting markets for May are starting to reimid me of Remain.
    I am comfortably in the green on everyone bar May. If Boris was in the mix I would be a bit worried.

All of Boris's schemes have come to naught. It takes a heart of stone :-)
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    AndyJS said:

Far-sighted men of vision, like myself, bet on her @16/1. :)
  • Options
    alex. said:

She is as heavily steeped in the £350m as BoZo and MacGove
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    alex. said:

Iain Dale's done profiles of the candidates.

"EXPERIENCE: Councillor, South Oxfordshire District Council 2003-2007. Contested Knowsley South constituency in 2005. Treasury Select Committee 2010-14. Economic Secretary to the Treasury from April 2014-May 2015. Minister of State for Energy at the Department of Energy and Climate Change May 2015 to present

OTHER EXPERIENCE: Barclays de Zoete Wedd (BZW) 1993-1997, Managing Director of De Putron Fund Management (DPFM) 1997-1999. Chief Investment Officer at Invesco Perpetual from 1999-2009."

http://iaindale.com/posts/2016/06/29/conservative-leadership-runners-riders-andrea-leadsom

Interview
    https://audioboom.com/boos/4767097-listen-andrea-leadsom-makes-her-case-to-be-pm
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Isnt it all a bit odd that the Indy still publishes a 'front page' for an online only paper....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

alex. said:

Nobody cares about the £350m. Everybody knew it was nonsense. REMAIN made a big mistake by keeping harping on about it...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    edited June 2016
    Winning Here in Mole Valley I reckon !

Went remain iirc.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It's still great value.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    alex. said:

I believe she may have had a child or more....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    alex. said:

She's not Fox and not Gove.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    I woke up this morning rather early and decided to think of the most ridiculous thing that could happen in politics today, and not include some kind of sex tape.
    It was Boris not running! And then when Gove decided to run later in the day I realised how limited my imagination was....but then when Boris' tv announcement ran late I knew he wasn't going to run and my sleep addled brain had been right. I should have bet on it but nooooooo.....

Anyway, May has to be favourite from now on in and it is clearly between her and Leadsom for the leadership now. Although the latter is a fresh perspective, she has very little in the way of experience and is not a name anyone really knows.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Nobody cares about the £350m.

Everybody cares about it.

it is the first, last and only question to any of the leading Brexiteers.

"Where is my £350m quid?"

As noted the other day, that bus is Boris's EdStone.
  • Options
    May is against Heathrow expansion.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    On the LD stance discussed FPT, my understanding is Farron supports a return to the EU via a second referendum. The problem I have with that is only that all the opt-outs, rebates and so on we had will have long gone and we'll join on different terms.

We would likely have to accept the Euro and be a much bigger contributor and I simply don't see a constituency for this (as distinct from returning to the EU under our previous terms which would be much more popular).

Clegg's absurd intervention calling for a GE yesterday did him no favours - we didn't have one when Wilson, Thatcher and Blair all left office during a parliament and nor did we have one when 1940 when Chamberlain was ousted (though there was a lot going on at the time).

May has said there doesn't need to be an election until 2020 - unless the Conservatives schism, that's probably accurate.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

I doubt that's really an issue for the Tory membership.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

alex. said:

Nobody cares about the £350m. Everybody knew it was nonsense. REMAIN made a big mistake by keeping harping on about it...
    I don't believe it was nonsense - I think people (including on the Leave side) misunderstood the range of outflows to European Union institutions.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

They should have just borrowed Labour's pink LadyVan
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

You mean the EdStone that everyone bar us nerds have forgotten about?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Gove represents the LEAVE campaign where he did himself no harm but today has probably done him no favours. A possible "deal" with Osborne is reminscent of the Clarke-Redwood Pact of 1997 and that ended well.

Gove chaining himself to Osborne looks like a terrible decision. Osborne is toxic.

• Options
    alex. said:

If Leadsom is pro Heathrow she should be shouting it from the rooftops.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

130/1... I did recommend it many many weeks ago.
  • Options
    @AdamBienkov: Sadiq Khan says he'll sell Boris's defunct water cannon: "We're still paying for a lock up for these things. It beggars belief" #AskSadiq
  • Options
    alex. said:

Leadsom is in favour of Heathrow and Gatwick expansion. (LBC interview today)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

Not quite... Because LEAVE actually won, unlike Ed's Labour.

Anyway, I've no idea why you've taken all this so badly given you don't really care whether we Brexit or not - Remember a week last Wednesday (when you thought it was in the bag for REMAIN) saying that next time we have an EU referendum you won't mind "sticking it to the EU"

I thought that was one of most disingenuous things I've ever seen posted on here in a decade....
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    stodge said:

As a non-Conservative and someone never likely to vote Conservative, I don't suppose my view on the leadership election matters so much but as people seem eager to comment on the LDs and Labour, I suppose that makes all parties fair game.

So we have May, Gove, Crabb, Leadsom and Fox in this handicap for three year olds of all ages. Johnson's failure to get to the start isn't the end for him - he would be the logical candidate IF the Conservatives lose the next election unless he's made Party Chairman as someone's idea of a joke.

As for the others, May has the form in the book but some questions to answer on some key issues. She's the great hope of the REMAIN camp in that with her it'll be EU-lite via the EEA with a sop or two on the ECHR I expect. To be fair, she's the obvious candidate for a Party desperate to regain some unity after a wretched spell.

Gove represents the LEAVE campaign where he did himself no harm but today has probably done him no favours. A possible "deal" with Osborne is reminscent of the Clarke-Redwood Pact of 1997 and that ended well. That said, his leadership would lead to a re-alignment in the REMAIN camp toward a post-Corbyn Labour party or Tim Farron's LDs.

Leadsom is interesting though economically she makes the Sahara look like a verdant oasis - I don't where she is on a range of other issues and how does she distinguish herself from Gove in the days to come ?

Looking at Cameron and Corbyn yesterday, it struck me as Lame duck meets Dead duck.

Fox, well, there's always room for the novelty candidate in the tradition of Hugh Fraser in 1975 or perhaps Iain Duncan Smith in 2001 though the latter and the cardinal error of winning. Were Fox to prevail, it would be the ultimate revenge against Cameron.

To me, it looks like May vs either Gove or Leadsom in the last two. May would beat Gove among the leadership but may struggle against Leadsom.

For Conservatives, it's important to start from the basis Labour will come to its senses at some point - who do you want facing that nice Dan Jarvis across the Dispatch Box ?

David Miliband is ahead of Dan Jarvis in the betting odds and he's not even an MP.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited June 2016

stodge said:

Gove represents the LEAVE campaign where he did himself no harm but today has probably done him no favours. A possible "deal" with Osborne is reminscent of the Clarke-Redwood Pact of 1997 and that ended well.

Gove chaining himself to Osborne looks like a terrible decision. Osborne is toxic.

There were two huge missteps by the Remain campaign (insofar as my family were concerned). One: Little Englander. Two: Punishment budget. Completely alienated my generally wet Tory relatives. Don't think Osborne is a plus for Gove by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898

kle4 said:

Mr. Glenn, the Lib Dems would be better off with Lamb. Clegg may still be seen as tainted (hard for me to judge that, wasn't a Lib Dem voter so I never felt betrayed, as some appeared to).

Unnoticed is the split in that Lamb wants the referendum vote to be respected and Farron is pledging to take us back into the EU. Democrats vs Europhiles.
    The split you've just describe does not match the label you give it. Farron is, as I understood it, pledging to run on a manifesto commitment to take us back into the EU. Now, that position is not going to win a majority, but if it did, that would be a democratic outcome. Unless he's changed tune and is now saying we shouldn't leave in the first place.
    Norman Lamb ‏@normanlamb Jun 25
    We must respect the democratic process

Norman Lamb ‏@normanlamb Jun 26
    But we are democrats and we do have to respect the outcome of this referendum

We must respect the outcome of the vote.

Norman Lamb ‏@normanlamb 6 hours ago
    I must always respect the democratic process
    Norman Lamb Retweeted Ralph Buckle
    And democracy supporting Lib Dems should consider if membership of that party is consistent with what they stand 4

None of that disproves what I said. Not even slightly in fact, so repeating it four times doesn't make it any more relevant, and that applies to Lamb as well. Labour lost the last election, are they not respecting the democratic process by pledging to win the next one. Farron is saying we will leave, that won't be stopped, but he will seek to reverse it democratically.

I really don't understand why that is so controversial. Seeking to rerun the result, seeking not to declare article 50 without a mandate to do so, that would be undemocratic.

It's perfectly possible to respect the democratic process and also seek the people's approval to reverse that decision at a future GE - in fact that is even more respectful of the democratic process.

Anyone implying it is not allowed for someone to campaign to reverse a decision taken today at some unspecified future point, irrespective of whether people might want to vote for it, would be displaying more contempt for the democratic process, as it would be saying it doesn't matter what is voted for democratically voted for inthe future, we made up our minds here forever.

Now, I don't think the LDs would win on a pledge to rejoin the EU. But desiring to 'rejoin' rather than pledging to ignore the request to leave, is not undemocratic. Unless Lamb is an idiot, I would hope he is referring to people seeking to prevent Leave happening, which could be labelled as so.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Andrea Leadsom attends PMQs for the first time.

Question 1 Mr Speaker.

"We never said there would be £350m for the NHS"

Aye, right...
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

Anyway, May has to be favourite from now on in and it is clearly between her and Leadsom for the leadership now. Although the latter is a fresh perspective, she has very little in the way of experience and is not a name anyone really knows.

I think Ms Leadsom has a very impressive CV. Less Westminster experience than Ms May, but a successful career before being elected.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

I thought that was one of most disingenuous things I've ever seen posted on here in a decade....

Then you haven't been paying attention...
  • Options

alex. said:

Heathrow AND Gatwick? Equal opportunities?
  • Options
    @WikiGuido: New Leadsom backers: Steve Baker, Chris Heaton-Harris, David Burrowes, Julian Brazier, Anne Marie Morris, Julian Lewis

Headbangers anonymous
  • Options
    alex. said:

alex. said:

Go-go economy outside the EU.

• Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited June 2016
    alex. said:

alex. said:

Brave of her to make these views known. May backfire. Personally I agree with expanding both by a bit to get it underway but believe in Boris airport long term.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Hard to say which is the more ridiculous out of Conservative and Labour right now, quite enjoyable to watch though. What awful people they all are.

I find it hard to believe I'd ever vote Conservative again, if Leadsom was leader I'd at least consider it.
  • Options

alex. said:

You wouldn't have to be a geographical genius to work out she doesn't represent a seat in the south-east.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@WikiGuido: New Leadsom backers: Steve Baker, Chris Heaton-Harris, David Burrowes, Julian Brazier, Anne Marie Morris, Julian Lewis

Headbangers anonymous

Tell me Scott, are you ever neutral? Do you have to have a side?
  • Options

I find it hard to believe I'd ever vote Conservative again, if Leadsom was leader I'd at least consider it.

I said it before

Leadsom is the candidate that would make me vote Labour
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    We're all dancing in the dark at the moment
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Cripes! *doffs hat* Well done You. :)

• Options
    edited June 2016

alex. said:

Given the way the whole country is going to become a desolate, post apocalyptic back-water, we'll probably have to mothball Heathrow and Gatwick nevermind expand them...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Sorry, I've just been hit by a thought.

Didn't everyone go barmy on here about Labour's 'racist mug'

Didn't it just say "Controls on Immigration', isn't that exactly what all Brexiters are now claiming isn't racist at all?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

alex. said:

Andrea Leadsom attends PMQs for the first time.

Question 1 Mr Speaker.

"We never said there would be £350m for the NHS"

Aye, right...
    You'll still vote tory, if they stuck a blue rosette on a mannequin you'd vote for it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Mr. Glenn, the Lib Dems would be better off with Lamb. Clegg may still be seen as tainted (hard for me to judge that, wasn't a Lib Dem voter so I never felt betrayed, as some appeared to).

Unnoticed is the split in that Lamb wants the referendum vote to be respected and Farron is pledging to take us back into the EU. Democrats vs Europhiles.
    The split you've just describe does not match the label you give it. Farron is, as I understood it, pledging to run on a manifesto commitment to take us back into the EU. Now, that position is not going to win a majority, but if it did, that would be a democratic outcome. Unless he's changed tune and is now saying we shouldn't leave in the first place.

And democracy supporting Lib Dems should consider if membership of that party is consistent with what they stand 4

None of that disproves what I said. .....
    We will have to agree to disagree on this one. I see it as a split, you do not.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I said it before

I think you said that about Boris as well didn't you?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I said it before

Not Liam Fox?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    Mortimer said:

alex. said:

She's also opposed to HS2.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Jason said:

stodge said:

David Miliband is ahead of Dan Jarvis in the betting odds and he's not even an MP.
    Any odds on Ruth Davidson as next Labour leader?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Mortimer said:

alex. said:

She's also opposed to HS2.
    I love the sound of that.

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    In a showdown with either Gove or Leadsom May will struggle for support from Conservative members who won't forgive the "nasty party" comment even though it was 14 years ago.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Sorry, I've just been hit by a thought.

Didn't everyone go barmy on here about Labour's 'racist mug'

Didn't it just say "Controls on Immigration', isn't that exactly what all Brexiters are now claiming isn't racist at all?

I think it was the context of the mug...

Leading to comments such as 'what an immigration mug', 'they're mugs when it comes to immigration' etc ad infinitem...
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Have you looks at the name of the site recently?

[engage adenoidal tone]

I have no opinion on this matter either way

[adenoids off]
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

alex. said:

Given a way the whole country is going to become a desolate, post apocalyptic back-water, we'll probably have to mothball Heathrow and Gatwick nevermind expand them...
    Yes but we'll need the airports for all the Remainers that are fleeing this racist cesspit.
  • Options

You'll still vote tory, if they stuck a blue rosette on a mannequin you'd vote for it.

Not if it was a Leadsom mannequin
  • Options

HaroldO said:

I think Ms Leadsom has a very impressive CV. Less Westminster experience than Ms May, but a successful career before being elected.

Apologies, I meant in terms of Westminster. If she had been a minister for a few years she would have a much better chance I think.
    I cannot see May running the party forever to be honest, never struck me as anything more than a placeholder leader until a new generation can jockey into position. I mean suddenly with Cameron and Johnson gone and Osborne toxic, the field is wide open again for the first time since 2005.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

None of that disproves what I said. Not even slightly in fact, so repeating it four times doesn't make it any more relevant, and that applies to Lamb as well. Labour lost the last election, are they not respecting the democratic process by pledging to win the next one. Farron is saying we will leave, that won't be stopped, but he will seek to reverse it democratically.

I really don't understand why that is so controversial. Seeking to rerun the result, seeking not to declare article 50 without a mandate to do so, that would be undemocratic.

It's perfectly possible to respect the democratic process and also seek the people's approval to reverse that decision at a future GE - in fact that is even more respectful of the democratic process.

Anyone implying it is not allowed for someone to campaign to reverse a decision taken today at some unspecified future point, irrespective of whether people might want to vote for it, would be displaying more contempt for the democratic process, as it would be saying it doesn't matter what is voted for democratically voted for inthe future, we made up our minds here forever.

Now, I don't think the LDs would win on a pledge to rejoin the EU. But desiring to 'rejoin' rather than pledging to ignore the request to leave, is not undemocratic. Unless Lamb is an idiot, I would hope he is referring to people seeking to prevent Leave happening, which could be labelled as so.
    I think some people are a bit annoyed that Farron is bypassing the party processes for writing the General Election manifesto.

Frankly, unless he is setting his ambitions very low, it seems a crazy policy to adopt. I doubt trying to re-enter the EU, with most if not all of the opt-outs gone, would attract more than a very small element of support from the electorate. Maybe in ten years once the long term effects can start to be accurately assessed, and even then it would probably take many further years to get in. And it would be doubtful that the EU would even consider it, unless they had fundamentally changed in the mean time.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Mortimer said:

[engage adenoidal tone]

[adenoids off]
    You are Ed Miliband and I claim my five pounds....
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Has anyone proposed a May PM, Leadsom CoE deal?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Scott_P said:

Mortimer said:

[engage adenoidal tone]

[adenoids off]
    I assume you are for May?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I think you said that about Boris as well didn't you?

Nope
  • Options
    What happened to the leadership bids of John Baron and George Freeman?
  • Options
    stodge said:

On the LD stance discussed FPT, my understanding is Farron supports a return to the EU via a second referendum. The problem I have with that is only that all the opt-outs, rebates and so on we had will have long gone and we'll join on different terms.
    We would likely have to accept the Euro and be a much bigger contributor and I simply don't see a constituency for this (as distinct from returning to the EU under our previous terms which would be much more popular)...........

Agreed. LDs need to plan for 2020 and not try and fight GE2015.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Not Liam Fox?

I don't see that being a problem, do you?
  • Options

AFAIK Mrs May refused the Whips moves to put people together such as May and Boris.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    AndyJS said:

Slapped by the Reality Monster.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

They woke up.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

Then you haven't been paying attention...
    So, if there was another referendum within the next few months you'd vote LEAVE this time and "stick it to the EU" then? ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    alex. said:

kle4 said:

I think some people are a bit annoyed that Farron is bypassing the party processes for writing the General Election manifesto.

Frankly, unless he is setting his ambitions very low, it seems a crazy policy to adopt. I doubt trying to re-enter the EU, with most if not all of the opt-outs gone, would attract more than a very small element of support from the electorate. Maybe in ten years once the long term effects can start to be accurately assessed, and even then it would probably take many further years to get in. And it would be doubtful that the EU would even consider it, unless they had fundamentally changed in the mean time.

There will also be voices against. Anyone benefitting from new non-EU trade deals.

• Options
    Freggles said:

I assume you are for May?

I guess you missed this the other day

Single To Win
    Theresa May @ 33/1
    Next Prime Minister post David Cameron
  • Options

Only the dyslexic. Any deal would clearly begin with Leadsom as PM.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/Peston/status/748607972385955841

Corbyn winning the war with the MP's where it matters.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

So, if there was another referendum within the next few months you'd vote LEAVE this time and "stick it to the EU" then? ;)

That's not what I said, and we can't undo the last vote.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I hope so, but she really needs to get into the last two to pay off.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Hard to say which is the more ridiculous out of Conservative and Labour right now, quite enjoyable to watch though. What awful people they all are.

Not much to admire in any of the political shenanigans, but one thing I do like: that it's possible the Conservatives may be putting 2 women forward for the members' vote and nobody is talking about anything other than their suitability for the job.

No big deal, and that's really important - a big step forward.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Éoin
    @LabourEoin
    Some MPs who resigned have told me privately it was partly due to pressure put upon them & then now understand the feeling among grassroots.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317
    edited June 2016
    Of course Leadsom won't win. The Leavers are just scrabbling around for any candidate now, because one of their heroes has just been humiliated, and the other shown as having low morals. May, the Remainer, will walk it. So much for conventional wisdom.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    alex. said:

kle4 said:

I paddled off to LibDemVoice to have a butchers. Based on their analysis, the Lib Dem homelands (even those lost to them in 2015) split roughly evenly between Remain/Leave.

It's a huge strategic mistake to use the EU as a raison d'etre. They'd be far better off going full Internationalist. There was a good deal of pushback in the comments regarding Farron's announcement.

If Brexit does go tits up, then one or both of the major parties would adopt a BrBackIn strategy...where does that leave them? Having said all that, I've never understood the LibDems, though I could grok the old Liberal party.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

alex. said:

Given the way the whole country is going to become a desolate, post apocalyptic back-water, we'll probably have to mothball Heathrow and Gatwick nevermind expand them...
    There will be _some_ new business in the compressed-sawdust-bread factories.

• Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

Éoin
    @LabourEoin
    Some MPs who resigned have told me privately it was partly due to pressure put upon them & then now understand the feeling among grassroots.

Great to hear from the sage of onion.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/748607972385955841

Corbyn winning the war with the MP's where it matters.

If he does impose a deselection process he is going to have a turnover of MP's that would make Putin blush, where is he going to find these sacrificial lambs? And if he gets his followers to do it, how long before one of them says something massively stupid, or just plain acts like Ken?
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Not much to admire in any of the political shenanigans, but one thing I do like: that it's possible the Conservatives may be putting 2 women forward for the members' vote and nobody is talking about anything other than their suitability for the job.

Yes, I posted this morning how pleased I was that more women were taking prominent roles. Yesterday the tory dream ticket was Johnson and Gove, an email from the wife and its all over, what ghastly people they all are.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/pam_nashes/status/748606701671227392

(((Pam Nash)))

What's this thing with people putting (((brackets))) around their name?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I hope so, but she really needs to get into the last two to pay off.
    Looking good today.

• Options

Of course Leadsom won't win. The Leavers are just scrabbling around for any candidate now, because one of their heroes has just been humiliated, and the other shown as having low morals. May, the Remainer, will walk it. So much for conventional wisdom.

We saw a lot of conventional wisdom, including from yourself, in the last few weeks.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

The Tory process is bloody and ruthless, but attracts strong personalities and as such a persons sex has little to do with it.
This discussion has been closed.