Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » An SDP Mark 2 is now a real possibility within 4 months

Comments

• Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh: The more MPs look at the logic of the coup the more Tom Watson is seen by some as the only choice. (And he beat Eagle to 4th in dep elxn)

If only one candidate, then it has to be Watson, who after all, was also elected overwhelmingly last year.

If only one woman candidate, I would still prefer Yvette.

A Eagle has the charisma of wet lettuce !
    If Yvette stands, she wins, I think. Watson as caretaker in the PLP than rally around Yvette.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    William_H said:

DanSmith said:

tlg86 said:

Oh for pity's sake:

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/748083515720404993

I feel sorry for the ordinary Labour voters who deserve better.

Why don't they both run? Surely AV solves all their problems?
    No has to be one candidate. Has to be a clear choice between Corbyn or no Corbyn.
    Why? Because "We're the establishment, do what we tell you, accept who we choose for you" is a successful message at the moment?

I mean, if they're planning on losing then a single candidate might limit the margin of victory a bit and give them a better start to their new party, but if they're looking to win then drawing more people into the voting pool and offering a choice on non-corbyn options seems like the better idea.
    Quite. And well said.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    PlatoSaid said:

Wanderer said:

Members of PLP should just refuse to attend PMQs. The site of Corbyn - and a few acolytes- isolated on the opposition benches should do the trick (other parties can cluster as usual).

Trouble is, it will look like they are not doing their jobs. Also, Corbyn is clearly impervious to humiliation.
    I worked with a guy who'd spent several years at HMP [Ch Acct caught defrauding VAT].

He was totally shameless - made it very difficult to 'manage' him in a conventional sense. He simply didn't play by conventional rules. Corbyn reminds me a lot of this.
    Whatever Corbyn's shortcomings, he is not corrupt.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,156
    Plllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaseeeeeeeeeee run Angela.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,062
    Pulpstar said:

and Danny Blanchflower

Paging @scrapheap and Southam
    I'm not that old!
  • Options

Pissing it down in Yorkshire.

Is that good for JC or bad for him ?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Jobabob said:

A solution to Labours problems could be.

Jezza tells McDonnell or Lewis that if they got on the ballot he will stand down.

Will Labour MPs be prepared to nominate either?

If not Jezza wins the party vote and deselections results in SDP2

Tory reign for 15 years,

The current idea by the splitters is doomed

Eagle is Kendall level of support

Watson is Cooper level of support

Jezza is over 50% on first ballot

The splitters really hadn't thought this through had they

So then they will have to walk and either defect or set up their own party. What marks this rebellion out so far is the unity of purpose: the resignations and then the VoNC. Would that carry forward to the ultimate rebellion were Corbyn re-elected? It would have its own momentum. Providing that a critical mass went, then those who stayed would be ever more vulnerable to the increasing relative power of the left, so increasing the incentive to jump.
    Indeed. It really is quite something how the far left Corbynites are tried to brush off a rebellion of this scale as s wrinkle of history. There is no precedent for a leader staying in such circumstances
    As Mr Dancer has shamefully neglected the opportunity to do so, there are some parallels with the Roman Republic.

Ambitious men would follow the cursus honorem, which was a sequence of offices of ascending power. Once they'd had their single term as consul, they would have a term of governorship (which allowed them to feather their nest, if they hadn't already), and then retire (there were still prestigious offices, but *handwave*).

It all started to break down when said ambitious men decided to re-run for consul and refuse to obey the cursus honorem. There were insufficient checks and balances to prevent that kind of behaviour as it had previously been believed it was unthinkable that anyone would behave that way.

Jeremy Corbyn ignoring a loss of no confidence vote - the PLP don't know what to do.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

DanSmith said:

tlg86 said:

Oh for pity's sake:

No has to be one candidate. Has to be a clear choice between Corbyn or no Corbyn.
    Can anyone see Angela Eagle of LOO, let alone PM? She's on the verge of tears 80% of the time.
    Watson has the better chance against Corbyn, Eagle has the better chance in a GE.
  • Options
    I want to see Eagle humiliated.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,364

stodge said:

But how many seats do the Lib Dems have data, activists and organisation in these days, where it would be of use to Labour? On top of which, it's one thing to co-operate with a party of 30-40 MPs, as in 1981; it's a different matter to do likewise with one of 150+, when you only have eight.

The best bet for the Lib Dems would be to avoid all co-operation with either Labour or SDP2 and look to come through the middle while retaining their independence. The price, of course, would be an immense Tory majority at the next election.

Come on, David, you can do better than this nonsense.

The Liberals had just 12 MPs after 1979 - the SDP defectors were in the 40s numerically. It didn't matter. What the LDs have now that they didn't have then was a Councillor base and much more local activity than was the case.

Yes, there will be areas where any new party will have no Liberal presence and others where there are thriving branches. That was the case then.

It's the ultimate nightmare for Conservatives like you as it was then - the new party and the Liberals tearing chunks out of both the Labour vote and the Conservative vote and advancing on Westminster.

It benefits the Conservatives to keep the opposition divided as it did in the 1980s and early 90s. 1997 was a reminder of how it can be if the opposition gets its together - fancy that again ?
    1997 was a strategic disaster for the Lib Dems (or more accurately, the decisions that led to it were). Abandoning equidistance and engaging in strategic coordiation with Labour ensured that when Labour eventually became less popular than the Tories, they would be dragged down too. Worse, natural dynamics meant that if the GE produced NOM - quite likely given the numbers - the Lib Dems would be faced with the choice of backing a tired an discredited regime or abandoning all their tactical voters to go with the Tories.

An SDP2 cannot tear any more chunks out of the Tories than blair did, for the same reason: 25-30% of the electorate is moderate centre-right and will not vote for a left-of-centre party. I'd be more worried about UKIP there, except that (1) their ground game and leadership are poor and (2) it makes more sense for them to go left and exploit the socially conservative voters neither Corbyn nor Eagle would appeal to.

And do the Lib Dems have that much of a councillor base? Isn't it now highly concentrated in a small number of authorities? The price of all that targetting in the 1990s/2000s was writing off enormous parts of the country.
    1997 a disaster for LDs?! They almost doubled their MPs.

Did you mean 2010?
  • Options
    @NickPalmer Simple question: should Corbyn resign? Note that there is no constitution precedent for a Loto or PM to remain when he has lost the backing of his own MPs on anything like this scale.

I await your answer.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Problem labour have is that this isn't a challenge to get rid of corbyn, it's also a leadership election, so whoever wins has to then take labour to the next election at least.

Angela Eagle would be rubbish. Tom Watson isn't very likeable, but competent.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Pulpstar said:

From years of reading the back pages, I believe the time-honoured puns are "Eagle's wings clipped", "Eagle shot down" or "Eagle stuffed".
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

DanSmith said:

tlg86 said:

Oh for pity's sake:

Can anyone see Angela Eagle of LOO, let alone PM? She's on the verge of tears 80% of the time.
    Watson has the better chance against Corbyn, Eagle has the better chance in a GE.
    when you're banking on Angela Eagle in a GE, then labour really is f**ked.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,481
    This would not displease me at all from a betting nor political position

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/748092140618657792
  • Options

Pleaaaaaaaaaaaseeee
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Of McDonnell's economic advisory team, so far I'm aware that Richard Murphy, Thomas Piketty and Danny Blanchflower have quit so far. Are there any others that people know of?

All will henceforth be labelled "Blairites" by the Corbynites.

Danny Blanchflower.. If he is still alive??? perhaps he could become England Football Manager
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,706
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh: The more MPs look at the logic of the coup the more Tom Watson is seen by some as the only choice. (And he beat Eagle to 4th in dep elxn)

If only one candidate, then it has to be Watson, who after all, was also elected overwhelmingly last year.

Yes, many of those who voted for Corbyn will also have voted for Watson as he nearly 40% of 1st preference votes for Deputy Leader.
  • Options
    McDonnell vs Eagle would be great.
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

Have to agree with Stodge on the ludicrous complacency of the Conservatives at the moment. About 40% of their voters voted Remain last week and, especially among the young professional demographic in the south east, many of them are furious with what has happened. Assuming that they wouldn't be open to supporting a pro-European pro-business centre party is the height of complacency. Having voted Conservative in every GE since 1997 I certainly will not be doing so again for a long time even though the current alternatives are awful.

Labour have a once in a lifetime chance here. Don't flunk it now. Progressive Party, here we come.

Party colour: Luciana pink (modern rose) or Chuka turquoise (Ibiza aqua)
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

We are all assuming an early election - including me. But how would they go round the 55% hurdle ?

Or, the FTP doesn't mean what it says.

Cameron calls it, invites Labour to be seen as opposing democracy.

If Corbyn opposes, even better. It will probably still pass. Keep tabling it every week if necessary.
    I am not too sure about that. After all, Parliament passed the FTPA.
    FTPA works during hung Parliaments were if a coalition PM tries to dissolve Parliament, another alternative PM can take over instead. It doesn't work in times of majority government.

If the new Tory PM calls an early election and three line whips his party into voting for it, it would take the SNP, Labour and everyone else three line whipping against an early vote for it to not pass. Doesn't exactly go with what Corbyn and Sturgeon claim they want to suggest three more years of a Tory government is what they would three line whip in favour.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,997
    I haven't posted too often recently because the news cycle has become overwhelming and I have been watching events with astonishment, but optimistic that the future is bright (notwithstanding being a remainer). The next cabinet, indeed the whole conservative party, must unite and follow the need of the economy for a single market with some form of immigration control. I think that Nicole Sturgeon's meeting Schubble and Junckers is 'comedy gold' as all three are in denial at the changes that are coming.

I believe that the negotiations will result in the best of both worlds for everyone, including Scotland, and the deciding factor will be that neither side can afford to prejudice the trade of each other, and a deal will be done

The conservative party will negate UKIP and will pursue a much more socially aware agenda and they should be in power for years. There is no need for a general election as labour disintegrate and head for oblivion.

I cannot recall any time when so much has been in chaos but leaving will motivate the nation and most probably see massive change in the EU. The arrogance of the six foreign minister's discussing Brexit and ignoring the other 21 Countries is causing anger and no wonder. They are 'doomed' to be honest and leave is the right thing to do
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

From years of reading the back pages, I believe the time-honoured puns are "Eagle's wings clipped", "Eagle shot down" or "Eagle stuffed".
    I've got the thread written

'Where Eagle dares' and 'The Eagle has landed'
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,291
    Bank of America sees UK inflation at 4% in a year or so. Will BoE raise rates to counter?

Brexit will look even more daft when millions of homeowners who've never known a different mortgage rate get hit.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Pulpstar said:

Watson and Eagle should stand up behind a #TakeControl podium.

They'll certainly need to take control of the coverage of the Chilcot report; both voted for the Iraq war, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2862397.stm
  • Options
    From the Spectator:

"Tosh McDonald, the president of Aslef, went further by claiming that he now found it difficult to decide who he hated the most out of Margaret Thatcher and the Parliamentary Labour Party."

There you have it. Blairites are viruses and vermin. At least the left are consistently nasty, even to their own.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686

How bad have things become for Labour if McIRA is seen as a "unity" candidate. Labour are no longer fit for purpose.
  • Options

i'm confused are you still tory, or quit yet?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,122
    edited June 2016
    LOL! Eagle and Watson are launching a coup... Against each other!!!!!!!

#Couldntmakeitup
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

In the words of Churchill: "OH YES".
  • Options
    SNP enjoying themselves any way. Erskine May will be consulted according to Sky.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

On a scale from George Brown to Winston Churchill, how over tired was this MP?

ttps://twitter.com/DailyMailUK/status/748042843575488512

I saw her impromptu speech this morning on Sky - she appeared over tired and emotional.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Watson seems the clear choice to me. I think a problem for the non-Corbyn candidates last year was that they were all so wet and ineffectual, at least until Yvette got vaguely fired up near the end. Watson isn't the most likeable politician in the country but he's anything but a drip. With Watson the anti-Corbynites can say they have a candidate who will take the fight to the Tories with a vengeance.
  • Options
    John McDonell is still available at 25s on Betfair and a similar price at SkyBet
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

dr_spyn said:

I saw her impromptu speech this morning on Sky - she appeared over tired and emotional.
    Over tired as a newt?
  • Options
    Better not use SDPMk2. Progressive Democrats might be a better name. 450 ex-Labour, 200 Lib Dem. Some Orange bookers might join the Tories.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Knocked off her perch?
  • Options
    (((Dan Hodges))) ‏@DPJHodges 29s29 seconds ago
    In the deputy leadership contest Tom Watson got 160,000 votes, Angela Eagle got 60,000. What am I missing here.

It's time the party was led by a woman?
  • Options

I'm still a Tory.

If Boris becomes leader, I shall intend to be a bastard, inside the tent, pissing in
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,706
    DanSmith said:

DanSmith said:

tlg86 said:

Oh for pity's sake:

I think that Watson would have the better chance in both.

More pertinently, we are less likely to have a GE in which Labour would lose half its remaining seats if either beats Corbyn.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,058

tyson said:

The Corbyn cult is quite interesting. I can't help but think that for years this man has been ignored, an old school firebrand, isolated, making his own meetings with his comradely chums equally despised, laughed and sneered at by his Parliamentary colleagues, voted Parliamentary beard of the year as a piss take.
    Drip, drip, drip. It just accumulates, and the hatred builds up. He is the Thomas Hamilton equivalent. Last year the membership bought him an AK47 through the vote, this year he has trained how to use it and bought a shed load of ammo, and in the next weeks he is going to go out and slaughter his loathed Parliamentary colleagues.

I do honestly think that Corbyn has some kind of mental health condition. He is a sociopath who believes his own righteousness, and is surrounded by an inner clique that feeds this madness for their own ends. He has the same affliction that warped Mair the other week.

That's over-analysis (to put it mildly - there is actually nobody in politics who I'd compare with an alleged murderer, not even a BNP leader). He doesn't loathe anyone (less than most people here, I'd think) - it's one of his attractive qualities, and widely reciprocated, as acknowledged in many of the resignation letters. Rebelling colleagues generally think he's ineffective and inflexible, not evil or mad. He merely sees himself as the representative of a strand of political thinking, obliged to do his best by it.
    Nick- I am not calling him a mass murderer, or evil, I am just trying to rationalise why he is staying against this kind of opposition. Most politicians suffer from some kind of narcissism...it is what draws them into politics, a bit like asbergers draws people to computers or Dr Who.

Brown was a classic narcissist, but even Brown would have been long gone facing this kind of opposition.

One hopes that Corbyn is simply playing out a (McDonnell) strategy to get an anointed successor onto a ballot paper, and they are playing for time. Then I'll be wrong.

If not Nick, and Corbyn intends to run again, and destroy the Labour Party while he's at it, it is because he believes that he is the only one fighting a righteous cause against all the non believers. The proof will be in what he does next.

Incidentally, David Blanket yesterday was saying as much as I'm saying here. Maybe the comparison to Hamilton was a slightly OTT.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,395
    Pulpstar said:

Any particular reason?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

and Danny Blanchflower

Paging @scrapheap and Southam
    I'm not that old!
    :smiley:
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,472

In the deputy leadership contest Tom Watson got 160,000 votes, Angela Eagle got 60,000. What am I missing here.

I reckon that's what it's coming down to. Eagle's saying "look, the Tories could be about to go for a woman, we'd look really bad if we don't too."
  • Options
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

dr_spyn said:

Over tired as a newt?
    Anna Soubry MP @Anna_Soubry
    @NadineDorriesMP I suggest you delete this which is defamatory.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Watson seems the clear choice to me. I think a problem for the non-Corbyn candidates last year was that they were all so wet and ineffectual, at least until Yvette got vaguely fired up near the end. Watson isn't the most likeable politician in the country but he's anything but a drip. With Watson the anti-Corbynites can say they have a candidate who will take the fight to the Tories with a vengeance.
    Watson will also please "old Labour" without himself being one. He is what you might call "machine politician". Normally, he would not be my #10 choice but he will do in the current situation.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,870
    tlg86 said:

Oh for pity's sake:

It needs to be a binary election. Anything else results in everyone focussing on the wrong things and Corbyn slipping through the middle
  • Options

Bank of America sees UK inflation at 4% in a year or so. Will BoE raise rates to counter?

Brexit will look even more daft when millions of homeowners who've never known a different mortgage rate get hit.

Will be good for savers though (anybody remember those?)
  • Options

Which NEC order book rule is that one coming from?
  • Options

Problem labour have is that this isn't a challenge to get rid of corbyn, it's also a leadership election, so whoever wins has to then take labour to the next election at least.

Angela Eagle would be rubbish. Tom Watson isn't very likeable, but competent.

Watson is more Marmite than Farage.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

dr_spyn said:

Soubry might join the Progressive Democrats. Sorry, Nick !
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Any particular reason?
    If Eagle is thrashed (Particularly by McDonnell) then its a good betting outcome, SDP mark 2 forms which leaves the Labour party rudderless and directionless and creates even more betting opportunities.
    I think Watson has a better chance and so less turmoil in the Labour party which decreases the betting opportunities.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Your Corbyn 2017 Labour leader bet slip is showing :smiley:
  • Options

I'm sure you're thinking of the best interests of Labour and not your 50/1 tip aren't you?
  • Options

Problem is is that if corbyn resigns then that opens up the election for all and sundry. as long as Corbyn is there, it's a 1 v 1.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Who will be Broadsword and will they call Danny Boy?
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    surbiton said:

Better not use SDPMk2. Progressive Democrats might be a better name. 450 ex-Labour, 200 Lib Dem. Some Orange bookers might join the Tories.

I'm pretty much an orange-booker and these days I would be far more likely to support a moderate, pro-EU, centre-left party than the Tories. You have to compromise on something in politics.
  • Options
    If he hadn't opposed same sex marriage, I'd so be on team Crabb
  • Options
    PeterC said:

tyson said:

Jezza tells McDonnell or Lewis that if they got on the ballot he will stand down.

Tory reign for 15 years,

This would be the sensible....to allow a straight forward contest between a Corbynite (I would say Lewis rather than McDonnell), and a moderate.

But, I posted earlier....I think Corbyn may well be an ill man, deluded, angry, guided by his own personal messianic, self righteous thoughts, and with sociopathic tendancies, in which case, he may not be able to be talked out of running again, even by his closest advisers.
    There is no evidence that he is mentally ill. It is necessary to understand where the hard left is coming from. To them "the party" means the grassroots. Parliamentary representatives are no more than a couple of hundred party members who merit no special consideration. In this sense his actions are logical: he will not resign because he has not lost the confidence of the party as he sees it.
    I think blind ideology is on a spectrum of mental illness. Ideology brings this view of the word that is completely divorced from reality, and attracts messianic devotees. Corbyn's glorious revolution is as nihilistic and irrelevant to the world as the Brexitmaniacs. Both don't care what they trash to achieve their aims.
  • Options
    @AdamBienkov: Stephen Crabb digs at Boris: "Nothing gets handed to you on a plate... Ball doesn't pop out from the back of the scrum... have to grab it"
  • Options
    Crabb announces formally he is standing.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    GIN1138 said:

LOL! Eagle and Watson are launching a coup... Against each other!!!!!!!

#Couldntmakeitup

I really cannot understand why both or even Yvette cannot be candidates. The winner is not elected by FPTP. If Corbyn receives more than 50%, then it does not matter how many stood against him.

McDonnell will not receive the same number of votes as Corbyn. McDonnell to many is another politician. To Corbyn's supporters, he is a Saint [ atheistic ]
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Who will be Broadsword and will they call Danny Boy?
    Has been ages since I've watched either film, need a rewatch
  • Options

Problem is is that if corbyn resigns then that opens up the election for all and sundry. as long as Corbyn is there, it's a 1 v 1.
    Thinking about it last night, on a 1-1 it has to be Tom Watson rather than Eagle. Her 4th place last year offers absolutely no indication that she can win.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    John_M said:

From the Spectator:

"Tosh McDonald, the president of Aslef, went further by claiming that he now found it difficult to decide who he hated the most out of Margaret Thatcher and the Parliamentary Labour Party."

There you have it. Blairites are viruses and vermin. At least the left are consistently nasty, even to their own.

What's Tosh short for? I haven't heard that nickname in years bar that chap in The Bill.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,496

stodge said:

Come on, David, you can do better than this nonsense.

The Liberals had just 12 MPs after 1979 - the SDP defectors were in the 40s numerically. It didn't matter. What the LDs have now that they didn't have then was a Councillor base and much more local activity than was the case.

Yes, there will be areas where any new party will have no Liberal presence and others where there are thriving branches. That was the case then.

It's the ultimate nightmare for Conservatives like you as it was then - the new party and the Liberals tearing chunks out of both the Labour vote and the Conservative vote and advancing on Westminster.

It benefits the Conservatives to keep the opposition divided as it did in the 1980s and early 90s. 1997 was a reminder of how it can be if the opposition gets its together - fancy that again ?

1997 was a strategic disaster for the Lib Dems (or more accurately, the decisions that led to it were). Abandoning equidistance and engaging in strategic coordiation with Labour ensured that when Labour eventually became less popular than the Tories, they would be dragged down too. Worse, natural dynamics meant that if the GE produced NOM - quite likely given the numbers - the Lib Dems would be faced with the choice of backing a tired an discredited regime or abandoning all their tactical voters to go with the Tories.

An SDP2 cannot tear any more chunks out of the Tories than blair did, for the same reason: 25-30% of the electorate is moderate centre-right and will not vote for a left-of-centre party. I'd be more worried about UKIP there, except that (1) their ground game and leadership are poor and (2) it makes more sense for them to go left and exploit the socially conservative voters neither Corbyn nor Eagle would appeal to.

And do the Lib Dems have that much of a councillor base? Isn't it now highly concentrated in a small number of authorities? The price of all that targetting in the 1990s/2000s was writing off enormous parts of the country.
    1997 a disaster for LDs?! They almost doubled their MPs.

Did you mean 2010?
    The doubled their MPs only by becoming the country wing of the Labour Party: co-operating in tactical campaigning to such an extent that they sold off their independence of action. The 'disaster' was the future-dated price they paid for the gains in 1997: payment that became due in 2010 and overdue in 2015.
  • Options

I'm still a Tory.

If Boris becomes leader, I shall intend to be a bastard, inside the tent, pissing in
    Have you done any straw polls of members yet? I've done a quick one, Boris has half of the leave people on his side and none of the remain people, I don't see how he can win on those numbers. This is in London, so it may not be representative.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

surbiton said:

I'm pretty much an orange-booker and these days I would be far more likely to support a moderate, pro-EU, centre-left party than the Tories. You have to compromise on something in politics.
    Come on, you know you want to put up "Winning here" diamonds ;)
  • Options
    Will Hunt stand? If he wins I am in for a massive payday!
  • Options
    Shocked by this, shocked.

Boris Johnson for PM group asks if Tories want a Muslim chancellor OR a ‘British patriot’. Bigotry, much?

https://politicalscrapbook.net/2016/06/boris-johnson-for-pm-group-asks-if-tories-want-a-muslim-chancellor-or-a-british-patriot/
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Oooh I say madame....The legend, that is Kenneth Williams.
    Great picture

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Watson and Eagle should stand up behind a #TakeControl podium.

They'll certainly need to take control of the coverage of the Chilcot report; both voted for the Iraq war, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2862397.stm
    Interesting point. Chilcot is next Wednesday...
  • Options
    Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 4m4 minutes ago
    Crabb: Sajid will be an outstanding Chancellor of the Exchequer

Hmm. Not sure about that bit myself, but loving the rugby digs.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,993

Equality and Feminism is not advancing a poor candidate just because they have a vagina.

It has to be Watson for two reasons:
    1. He had the mass appeal that an ABC candidate will need
    2. Eagle's CLP have instructed her to support Corbyn. If she goes against them she'll be deselected
  • Options

Did he? That's very disappointing.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,294

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

dr_spyn said:

Over tired as a newt?
    Anna Soubry MP @Anna_Soubry
    @NadineDorriesMP I suggest you delete this which is defamatory.
    Will she try that line with The Mail? Their lawyers must have been aware of that tweet before the story went up, otherwise funds might be on their way to Ms S's charity of choice or bank account.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Does it really matter? It was years ago and it's not like it's going to be repealed

The main reason I'd say no to Crabb is because he has very little experience. If this a contest for LOTO then fair enough, he could grow into the role. But as well as Conservative leader we're also looking for a Prime Minister which means it's got to be someone with clout!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,870
    GIN1138 said:

Will be good for savers though (anybody remember those?)
    We've found a way to create inflation.... I will believe it when I see it...
  • Options

Only to extend the election by another day.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,975

Indigo said:

That's obvious.

Labour, the party of the working man, where just about all their supporters on this forum are sneering at the choice of the said working (wo)man just as hard as they can... My FB feed is full of lefties complaining that they have lost their country because of the "bloody chavs". I am sure it won't be noticed.

Disagreeing with you is not sneering at the choice of anyone. Leave made big promisrs to working men and women, they will be expected to deliver on them. Your cynical "all politicians lie" line will not wash, I'm afraid.

You're a decent bloke and I'm puzzled why you keep repeating this. "Leave" such as it was, persuaded people we should leave the EU, it is now the responsibility of the govt to carry out its wishes, nobody else.
    So you feel no responsibility for the mess we appear to be sliding into? You have no regrets for the lies your leaders told to ge the result they wanted?

Just for the record, I thought some of the Remain propaganda was dishonest, too.
    Which is why referenda are not the democratic panacea BB63 would have us believe.

I wouldn't mind if there was a mechanism to hold people accountable for what they promised in order to win. If a government breaks its promises it can be kicked out in 5 years and that operates as something of a brake on what they say during a campaign.

With a referendum you can promise anything you like in the full knowledge that you will never be held accountable. It matters little whether everything the Leave campaign said proves to be populist lies, the country is stuck with the consequence pretty much for ever.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,757
    surbiton said:

We are all assuming an early election - including me. But how would they go round the 55% hurdle ?

Or, the FTP doesn't mean what it says.

A vote of No Confidence would do it. A Tory PM could arrange that as they have a majority:

Section 2 of the Act also provides for two ways in which a general election can be held before the end of this five-year period:

If the House of Commons resolves "That this House has no confidence in Her Majesty's Government", an early general election is held, unless the House of Commons subsequently resolves "That this House has confidence in Her Majesty's Government". This second resolution must be made within fourteen days of the first.
    If the House of Commons, with the support of two-thirds of its total membership (including vacant seats), resolves "That there shall be an early parliamentary general election".
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Only to extend the election by another day.
    Or to make sure he is not overlooked when new Cabinet is formed. But as a kid from the estates of Wales, he might make a few interesting points about policy etc.
  • Options
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

dr_spyn said:

Over tired as a newt?
    I saw parallels with Ken and Junker.
  • Options

Equality and Feminism is not advancing a poor candidate just because they have a vagina.

2. Eagle's CLP have instructed her to support Corbyn. If she goes against them she'll be deselected
    In this time of national difficulty anyone moaning about equality or representation should be taken out back and shot (not really). It's vital we get the best person for the job regardless of whats between their legs.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I'm still a Tory.

Have you done any straw polls of members yet? I've done a quick one, Boris has half of the leave people on his side and none of the remain people, I don't see how he can win on those numbers. This is in London, so it may not be representative.
    I've spoke to two last night, my old constituency chairman, hardcore Leaver said he'd back anyone but Boris, even Ken Clarke.

A remainer said being a Brexiteer come mid August might be an awful position to hold if the economic news is poor because of Brexit, so he might go for May, but he thinks only a Brexiteer PM is the only one who can sell an EEA deal to the Leavers in the country.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

surbiton said:

I tell you, they could actually win ! This time it will not be 26 MPs who would be carrying the banner.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

From the Spectator:

What's Tosh short for? I haven't heard that nickname in years bar that chap in The Bill.
    He talks 'tosh'?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

He did
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

last week the electorate stated it wanted to control immigration,

that's not what it said on the ballot
    Stop playing games. There is what the ballot said, what the campaign promoted, and what the voters want, they are not even remotely the same. Even if VoteLeave was full to the eyeballs of positive Gisela Stuart types, a large chunk of the country would have seen it as an opportunity to reduce immigration, either directly, or as a necessarily first step.
    not playing games at all. just think that you can't really make the claim that "the electorate" want what you say. Sure, a goodly number of them probably did vote for primarily that reason, but not necessarily a majority of those that voted leave.
    ... and remember Leave only just won, by 3.8%.
    Considering the enormity of the lies used (£350m/wk and reduced immigration) and which have since been renounced, you can't claim "the electorate" wanted to do anything in particular.
    Donnez moi un break. If we are talking about enormous lies we better not consider World War 3, the economic apocalypse appears to be fizzling after getting just below where we were in February and about triple where we were in 2008, the French have said there borders are not moving so no refugee camps in Kent, the former governor of the Bank Of England told us yesterday the the economic case was bullshit, etc etc. Both sides lied massively, neither has any case to try and take the moral high ground over the other, get over it.
    Just factually incorrect.
    You are clutching at straws, Britain is worse off.
    I see that you concede that Leave 'lied massively'.
    Newsflash: "Remain" and "Leave" don't exist anymore, the public voted, now we have to make what they voted for work. Or I guess you can sit there crying and throwing your toys around.
  • Options

Will Hunt stand? If he wins I am in for a massive payday!

Hunt is by far the smoothest operator in the Tory ranks, and carries Cameron's sense of reassurance and charm. If I was a Tory, I'd be stuck between him and May who could well be our Angela Merkel with heels (and I mean that in a good way).

I'd know intuitively Boris would be a failure, and Crabb- is he jockeying for position, or does he really think he'll win? I thought Ed Miliband entered the 2010 contest to get a prominent post in his brother's cabinet- that is until McCluskey intervened.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    MaxPB said:

Yes, he's flip flopped around since. Also linked to groups advocating a "cure" for homosexuality.
  • Options
    ((Dan Hodges))) ‏@DPJHodges 22s22 seconds ago
    Understand Corbyn wants to call it a day. Milne and the other ultras telling him he has to cling on.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Jobabob said:

Tory reign for 15 years,

So then they will have to walk and either defect or set up their own party. What marks this rebellion out so far is the unity of purpose: the resignations and then the VoNC. Would that carry forward to the ultimate rebellion were Corbyn re-elected? It would have its own momentum. Providing that a critical mass went, then those who stayed would be ever more vulnerable to the increasing relative power of the left, so increasing the incentive to jump.
    Indeed. It really is quite something how the far left Corbynites are tried to brush off a rebellion of this scale as s wrinkle of history. There is no precedent for a leader staying in such circumstances
    There is no precedent for Labour MPs being so out of touch with the membership of their party.
  • Options

In this time of national difficulty anyone moaning about equality or representation should be taken out back and shot (not really). It's vital we get the best person for the job regardless of whats between their legs.
    "Eagle's CLP have instructed her to support Corbyn. If she goes against them she'll be deselected"

Sorry ! I am a member of the Labour Party , but you could not make this up !
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,062

Javid didn't though did he? This is a great team in terms of 'back story'.... either of them related to a bus driver?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Does it really matter? It was years ago and it's not like it's going to be repealed

The main reason I'd say no to Crabb is because he has very little experience. If this a contest for LOTO then fair enough, he could grow into the role. But as well as Conservative leader we're also looking for a Prime Minister which means it's got to be someone with clout!
    It does matter, is a sign of true liberalism for me.

Plus was one of the things that persuaded all those Lib Dems to switch to the Tories in those Lib Dem held seats in 2015.

The detox project is essential, I don't want it to be undone
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

Understand Corbyn wants to call it a day. Milne and the other ultras telling him he has to cling on.

Will be over very soon then.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

From the Spectator:

He talks 'tosh'?
    It's doesn't necessarily stand for anything. Not sure about his case...
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

Will be over very soon then.
    If that is true, Watson is Leader straightaway.
  • Options
    An observation....if there was a three quid membership, I'd pay it and vote for whom I thought would be the best PM, probably May to be honest.

I hope once the Labour leadership starts, pbERS (Pulpstar- I mean you)- will pay the three quid and do the right thing. We need a healthy democracy.
This discussion has been closed.