Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Alastair Meeks on the political and economic crises of bre

Comments

• Options
    Andrew Neil @afneil
    Moody's downgrades British banks. British bank stocks rise for 2nd day in a row. Does anybody care about ratings agencies these days?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    SeanT said:

Anecdotage:

Just been to a school meeting in leafyish north London, about my daughter and her cohort going up to Year 7 etc etc

Lots of very north Londony parents there - architects, journalists, teachers, academics - sort of meeting where a parent uses the word "algorithm" and everyone understands and nods.

i.e. probably 80% Guardian readers and graduates.

So I expected them to be in tears and despair, yet not. They seemed sanguine. When I asked a couple of them about the vote they smiled, a little ruefully, like it was no worse than England losing the footie, then they chatted happily about something else.

Hmm. Is this stoical middle England showing its mettle, and I am an hysterical twit, or are they just completely uninformed, and my idiotic hysteria is still justified?

Intriguing.

I think you've answered your own question here Sean. But good on you for sharing your emotions honestly - too few do!
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    The Labour leadership problems has at least given momentum something to do apart from call for a second E.U ref.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    murali_s said:

MaxPB said:

Jobabob said:

@MaxPB FPT

As this forum clearly shows. The idea that a vote for Leave is a vote for a Red BNP prospectus of zero immigration, unlimited welfare payments and an ultra rich NHS staffed by Harley Street doctors and supermodel nurses is palpable nonsense.

Yes, I'm glad that you recognise that. Just had a conversation with my leaver sister about the EEA, she seems happy with the compromise. She voted because of immigration but recognises that the economic hit would be too large to leave the single market.
    I'm disgusted by ethnic minorities voting Leave purley on immigration - shows a complete lack of awareness and the focus of the Leave campaign - turkeys votng for Xmas comes to mind.

My parents voted Leave which they now regret. They voted early by post, if they had voted on 23rd June they would have voted Remain.

Racist attacks are on the increase as the bigots are now emboldened by the Leave vote. Speaking to my cousin who lives in Huddersfield today and he has witnessed a significant increase in racist language. Even where I live in the London bubble, I am a little nervous understandably.
    About one third of BME voters supported Brexit. There's nothing at all irrational about that.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Ed Conway @EdConwaySky
    FTSE 250 (better gauge of domestic economy than 100) now back above Feb lows. But in $ terms lowest since mid-2013 10:45 AM - 29 Jun 2016

OK so let us take numbers expressed in Sterling £ for a mainly domestic list of companies and if they do not present the picture we want, we convert them into US$ to make them present the picture we want..... What is next? Expressing UK shares in terms of the Bolivar, if that makes it look bad for Brexit?

It's all a bit complicated for you is it? Why not start banging on about immigration then? Or how ugly Sarah Woollaston is?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    19.47: On the NEC and nominations: Ken Livingstone announced that he has stood down from the ruling body, as he is currently unable to attend meetings due to being suspended. His standing down means that his position is filled (until the next election this summer) by the person with the most votes from last time who did not get elected.

That person is… Corbynite Darren Williams. This means that when the NEC meet to decide the leadership election rules, there will be one more person to vote in favour of Corbyn being put on the ballot automatically. It is, as one source described it, “a game changer” for the fine balance of the committee.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,930

Sandpit said:

@iainjwatson: Andy Burnham hasn't asked Jeremy Corbyn to resign and isn't at this stage resigning himself

LOL - so just a cosy cup of early evening tea while watching the cricket then? Not a single backbone between the lot of them!
    Well if AB could be persuaded to run he would have best chance.

Are you sat down

I would vote for him this time to save the party
    But would you now vote Anyone But Corbyn?

I have reached Anyone Decent territory, regardless of left-right position - but I don't rate Eagle as Decent.
    I would vote for Corbyn in almost every scenario I can think of.

I would likely desert him if AB was the other candidate
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Andrew Neil @afneil
    Moody's downgrades British banks. British bank stocks rise for 2nd day in a row. Does anybody care about ratings agencies these days?

Remember that Moodys and Fitch both downgraded the UK back in 2013. They're still suffering from the CDS hangover.

If we're going to be 'out and into the world', what matters is our trade performance, our current account, our borrowing costs and the exchange rate. It's back to the 60s.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Sandpit said:

@iainjwatson: Andy Burnham hasn't asked Jeremy Corbyn to resign and isn't at this stage resigning himself

LOL - so just a cosy cup of early evening tea while watching the cricket then? Not a single backbone between the lot of them!

Are you sat down

Thanks BJO.

That's really interesting.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,925
    So the future of the UK for the next couple of generations is in the hands of the Tory membership in Little-Snoring-in-the-Marsh average age 70+. What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Sandpit said:

Are you sat down

I have reached Anyone Decent territory, regardless of left-right position - but I don't rate Eagle as Decent.
    Because of Corbyns actions, the future is bleak for Labour however it plays out. It will be a miracle if Labour can pull it back.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    bunnco said:

Just back from attending the Norfolk Show, highlight of our social calendar here in the countryside. I asked 89 people amongst the 'Great and the Good" the 'forced choice" of who would they support Boris or Theresa. Astonishingly 87 expressed a preference for Theresa. When I told the second Boris-supporter who the first one was, what changed her mind. There was a 50/50 mix of inners and outers.

Yesterday in my Council Group, with a majority of Brexiters, only one opted for Boris.

On this show , Boris cannot even start thinking of taking the provinces for granted and has a real mountain to climb to make progress in the sticks.

Bunnco Your Man on the Spot

Worrying. I thought being a Remain supporter would be a handicap with Con members.

Fingers crossed for Leadsom!

• Options
    http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/29/us-markets.html

The Nasdaq is up, even in dollar terms..........
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    kle4 said:

Yeah, exciting week, but let's not make it a drama that it isn't.

The people have spoken, the EU will be left. Following this a trade deal will be reached which the people will either accept or reject.

Your last line is ambiguous to me - are you in the camp the deal needs voting on, or the people will accept or reject it through a GE vote after the fact?

Referendum seems best option, but not to revisit last week

Deal needs to be voted on but it's a binary choice, leave with deal or leave with nothing. It's leave either way, there's no going back on that.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,792
    Anecdote (3): At the event I attended today, there was a speaker from the European Commission. The chair of the session dryly said "Welcome to the UK!".
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

Sandpit said:

Are you sat down

I am probably being stupid but I can't think who AB is!!!
  • Options
    handandmousehandandmouse Posts: 213

Pong said:

AE has less than a 5% chance of winning IMO

TW would maybe have a 25% chance

If JC gives Mcdonnell the nod, do you think corbyn's support transfers straight across?

Basically, how much of Corbyn's vote is personal rather than ideological?
    I don't think the bulk of the PLP would want McDonnell on the ballot (because he would probably win), but would be OK with Lewis or Catwoman.

Maybe by Friday, they would accept McDonnell.
    I'm stil holding out hope for Clive Lewis. It seems the only way out of this insane mess.

My perspective, strengthened from having read Owen Jones' latest article on Medium: JC's team, and most of his supporters, aren't dedicated to Jeremy Corbyn leading the Labour party into the next election. Rather, they (and I include myself in this) are determined that there be no return to the spin-driven politics of 2000s New Labour, and complete inability in 2010 and 2015 to offer a meaningful alternative to neoliberal ideology that had demonstrably failed.

Even among many fervent Momentum types, I think there's a recognition that JC has certain inadequacies as a campaigning leader. It is, after all, widely known that he only stood last summer because he was talked into taking his turn as the 'left candidate'.

But JC is the leader. He, and only he, can take that incumbent's place on the ballot paper. If he resigns, all is lost.

Unless, one of JC's loyal allies can be nominated, so that the contest cannot be stitched up to freeze out the anti-austerity, anti-war left. Once that candidate's nomination is irrevocably in place, I see no reason why JC cannot then resign and instruct his supporters to back the continuity candidate. Essentially, bringing forward the plan described by Owen Jones from 2018.

Nothing has changed except the frontman, but the MPs who have resigned in this hare-brained coup can serve under the new leader where serving under a renewed Corbyn leadership would be untenable.

McDonnell is perhaps the obvious choice, but he has a lot of the same broad-appeal-limiting baggage as Corbyn. Clive Lewis ticks a lot of boxes: prior tour of duty in Afghanistan, media savvy, lots of youth appeal, grew up on a council estate. I've seen others flag him up on here, I'm struggling to see a down-side.

But, it would require much of the PLP to put their egos to one side and respect JC's mandate from the members, so it probably won't happen.

• Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Older people cared enough to vote. Or are you saying there should be an age limit.
    OllyT said:

So the future of the UK for the next couple of generations is in the hands of the Tory membership in Little-Snoring-in-the-Marsh average age 70+. What could possibly go wrong?

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Sandpit said:

Are you sat down

Because of Corbyns actions, the future is bleak for Labour however it plays out. It will be a miracle if Labour can pull it back.
    I agree with your sentance but think the word Corbyn should be replaced by PLP
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,100
    RodCrosby said:

19.47: On the NEC and nominations: Ken Livingstone announced that he has stood down from the ruling body, as he is currently unable to attend meetings due to being suspended. His standing down means that his position is filled (until the next election this summer) by the person with the most votes from last time who did not get elected.

That person is… Corbynite Darren Williams. This means that when the NEC meet to decide the leadership election rules, there will be one more person to vote in favour of Corbyn being put on the ballot automatically. It is, as one source described it, “a game changer” for the fine balance of the committee.

And Ken's last act in the Labour Party is to destroy it.... Well done that man...
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    OllyT said:

Would you prefer it to be in the hands of the Momentum yoof?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Sandpit said:

Are you sat down

Andy Burnham
  • Options

Before 9am "Alastair Meeks on the political and economic crises of breathtaking proportions"

After 5pm. UK stock markets up, some above pre Brexit level

Crisis. what fecking crisis?

This is pointless on both sides, the effects of Brexit, for good or ill, are going to take months if not years to become apparent.
  • Options
    "the lesser of two Eagles"s machinations not going down well on her home patch...
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/petition-calls-angela-eagle-resign-11539135

5,000 now signed a petition against her.
  • Options
    The Finnish foreign minister just said on Sky there should be "no red lines" when negotiating with Britain, the remainers need to calm down.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    And as I wrote earlier it will be the biggest political kamikazi jump since Cameron's. The Eagle will turn out to be a prize pigeon.
    1. No charisma.
    2. Weak voice.
    3. Faltering manner in debate.

Now if she were only like Nicola.................................!
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    OllyT said:

Before 9am "Alastair Meeks on the political and economic crises of breathtaking proportions"

After 5pm. UK stock markets up, some above pre Brexit level

Crisis. what fecking crisis?

This is pointless on both sides, the effects of Brexit, for good or ill, are going to take months if not years to become apparent.
    Not what Remainers were saying Friday - Monday.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Sandpit said:

Are you sat down

You are wrong, no one man is more important than the party and the 9 million voters who depend on it.

• Options

Jobabob said:

Sandpit said:

Are you sat down

Andy Burnham
    God no. Pathetic performance this week.
  • Options
    O/T When are the boundary changes supposed to happen? Or have they been scrapped?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited June 2016

Unless, one of JC's loyal allies can be nominated, so that the contest cannot be stitched up to freeze out the anti-austerity, anti-war left. Once that candidate's nomination is irrevocably in place, I see no reason why JC cannot then resign and instruct his supporters to back the continuity candidate. Essentially, bringing forward the plan described by Owen Jones from 2018.

Very interesting - if Angela gets the 50, presumably someone else can also challenge if they can get 50 too? Clive Lewis does seem the obvious choice and he has the considerable advantage of carrying my money, albeit at a what is now a poor 33/1.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    Isn't she ... er.. how do I put this ... she's a "woman" isn't she?

Labour's record isn't that great on this issue is it for elected leaders...
  • Options

Pong said:

AE has less than a 5% chance of winning IMO

TW would maybe have a 25% chance

If JC gives Mcdonnell the nod, do you think corbyn's support transfers straight across?

Basically, how much of Corbyn's vote is personal rather than ideological?
    I don't think the bulk of the PLP would want McDonnell on the ballot (because he would probably win), but would be OK with Lewis or Catwoman.

Maybe by Friday, they would accept McDonnell.
    I'm stil holding out hope for Clive Lewis. It seems the only way out of this insane mess.

My perspective, strengthened from having read Owen Jones' latest article on Medium: JC's team, and most of his supporters, aren't dedicated to Jeremy Corbyn leading the Labour party into the next election. Rather, they (and I include myself in this) are determined that there be no return to the spin-driven politics of 2000s New Labour, and complete inability in 2010 and 2015 to offer a meaningful alternative to neoliberal ideology that had demonstrably failed.

Even among many fervent Momentum types, I think there's a recognition that JC has certain inadequacies as a campaigning leader. It is, after all, widely known that he only stood last summer because he was talked into taking his turn as the 'left candidate'.

But JC is the leader. He, and only he, can take that incumbent's place on the ballot paper. If he resigns, all is lost.

Nothing has changed except the frontman, but the MPs who have resigned in this hare-brained coup can serve under the new leader where serving under a renewed Corbyn leadership would be untenable.

McDonnell is perhaps the obvious choice, but he has a lot of the same broad-appeal-limiting baggage as Corbyn. Clive Lewis ticks a lot of boxes: prior tour of duty in Afghanistan, media savvy, lots of youth appeal, grew up on a council estate. I've seen others flag him up on here, I'm struggling to see a down-side.

But, it would require much of the PLP to put their egos to one side and respect JC's mandate from the members, so it probably won't happen.

Agreed I mentioned this earlier and would be my best case scenario.

Although of course he is less well known and would not retain all Corbynite vote so I would be scared of ending up with a right winger
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739
    nunu said:

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/29/us-markets.html

The Nasdaq is up, even in dollar terms..........

Yes, but it's a US technology index, driven by things other than Brexit.
    In any case it's easy to see that the markets and exchange rates took a hit when the result came through but it's impossible to compare where they are post referendum with where they would be if the result had gone the other way.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Sandpit said:

Are you sat down

I think Labour is likely doomed now. An incredible collapse. They will become the rump party of London and the metrosexuals, as the Liberals became the legacy party of Celts and non-conformists.

And still NPXMP doesn't see this disaster, staring him in the face.

It's bizarre. Oh well. What can you do.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Sandpit said:

Are you sat down

I think Labour is likely doomed now. An incredible collapse. They will become the rump party of London and the metrosexuals, as the Liberals became the legacy party of Celts and non-conformists.

Quite right - read handmouse's post above for a clear insight to how the far left thinks. They just want ideological purity. The future of the party doesn't matter to them.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

Anecdotage:

Just been to a school meeting in leafyish north London, about my daughter and her cohort going up to Year 7 etc etc

Lots of very north Londony parents there - architects, journalists, teachers, academics - sort of meeting where a parent uses the word "algorithm" and everyone understands and nods.

i.e. probably 80% Guardian readers and graduates.

So I expected them to be in tears and despair, yet not. They seemed sanguine. When I asked a couple of them about the vote they smiled, a little ruefully, like it was no worse than England losing the footie, then they chatted happily about something else.

Hmm. Is this stoical middle England showing its mettle, and I am an hysterical twit, or are they just completely uninformed, and my idiotic hysteria is still justified?

Intriguing.

If you're not a stock market pundit or a currency speculator, nothing has, as yet, happened. Just an metric buttload of 'this might happen and 'that might happen'.

My anecdote for the day: my Mum has completed her political journey from being tribal Labour to thinking Daniel Hannan is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Truly, we are living in the Age of Miracles.
    Yes, I'd really like to believe they're right and I'm wrong. Trouble is I think I'm right. The bad shit isn't here yet, but it's in the post.
    Hmm, I'm not trying to persuade you, just musing about this. There's almost certainly going to be a mild recession (though I can't find the primary figures on that Credit Suisse forecast quoted earlier).

Leaving that aside, there are currently 31.6 million people in work. There were a whole bunch of reports about the number of EU dependent jobs; anywhere from 3 million to 4.4 million. Not all directly dependent necessarily, and the split is arguable. Let's say that up to 12% of the workforce depend on the EU in one way or another. While there might be spillover effects, at least that puts it into perspective.

The biggest factor is going to be confidence (business and consumer). It just comes down to whether people are prepared to carry on spending or investing. It's too early to say.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,100

Jonathan said:

Sandpit said:

Are you sat down

I actually think its irrelevant . The die is case and UKIP are going to slaughter them up north as they target the WWC (and WWC none) voters with the following:-

1) If you don't usually vote look what happened when you voted in the referendum, you won - vote UKIP
    2) If you did vote look at what happened last time - vote UKIP

That alone is going to be enough to win 50% of the seats in the North East....
  • Options

O/T When are the boundary changes supposed to happen? Or have they been scrapped?

2018 I think. Not scrapped but may become moot.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Corbyn speaking at rally outside SOAS (University)...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,552

bunnco said:

Just back from attending the Norfolk Show, highlight of our social calendar here in the countryside. I asked 89 people amongst the 'Great and the Good" the 'forced choice" of who would they support Boris or Theresa. Astonishingly 87 expressed a preference for Theresa. When I told the second Boris-supporter who the first one was, what changed her mind. There was a 50/50 mix of inners and outers.

Yesterday in my Council Group, with a majority of Brexiters, only one opted for Boris.

On this show , Boris cannot even start thinking of taking the provinces for granted and has a real mountain to climb to make progress in the sticks.

Worrying. I thought being a Remain supporter would be a handicap with Con members.

I was at a Shires do the other day. The guest speaker and host both prominent in their way, a picture of each you would find in the dictionary under: "true blue Conservative, couldn't get bluer".

Speaker for Remain, host for Leave.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 915
    Jobabob said:

Sandpit said:

Are you sat down

Anthony Blair? Surely not!!
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

EU says kettles must have boiling temperature of 99-100C. We manufacture kettles with maximum boiling temperature of 98.9C. Norway manufactures kettles with maximum boiling temperature of 99.1C.

EEA agreement or no EEA agreement?

No agreement.
    So it is indeed us vs Norway (and ofc Liechtenstein and Iceland).

This is an improvement?

(I suppose Iceland might give us the sympathy vote for the next four years.)
    Yes because they cannot impose new rules on us just as we cannot impose new rules on them.

Sounds great to me.
    Norway and Liechtenstein and Iceland each have a veto over our single market access.

Interesting post by @SandyRentool
    They have a veto over our joining EFTA. Of course they do. They do not have a veto over our remaining part of the EEA as long as we join EFTA.

You do seem to be getting more and more desperate as tim,e goes on here Topping and clutching at more and more straws.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Sandpit said:

Are you sat down

I wouldn't be so certain of that. I appreciate that it looks bad but time remains. We rush to judgement very quickly sometimes.

I do think Nick Palmer (elected, I'd suggest, because of Tony Blair not because of personal virtues) overestimates his own self worth.
  • Options
    I'm going to suggest this must be unlikely...

https://twitter.com/AngrySalmond/status/748230939403239424
  • Options

Not least because UKIP don't have enough Lords to make up a bench. :-)
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Sandpit said:

Are you sat down

You are wrong, no one man is more important than the party and the 9 million voters who depend on it.

Didnt say they were. Apportioning the blame on JC is cretinous
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Sandpit said:

Are you sat down

Form a new party. There is no talking to the eurosceptic far left. They seem determined to destroy the party in the name of ideological purity
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

EU says kettles must have boiling temperature of 99-100C. We manufacture kettles with maximum boiling temperature of 98.9C. Norway manufactures kettles with maximum boiling temperature of 99.1C.

No agreement.

This is an improvement?

Yes because they cannot impose new rules on us just as we cannot impose new rules on them.

Sounds great to me.
    Norway and Liechtenstein and Iceland each have a veto over our single market access.

They have a veto over our joining EFTA. Of course they do. They do not have a veto over our remaining part of the EEA as long as we join EFTA.

You do seem to be getting more and more desperate as tim,e goes on here Topping and clutching at more and more straws.
    Do they have a veto over what EU legislation/regulation gets adopted into the EEA agreement?

That is my point.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    TOPPING said:

bunnco said:

I was at a Shires do the other day. The guest speaker and host both prominent in their way, a picture of each you would find in the dictionary under: "true blue Conservative, couldn't get bluer".

Speaker for Remain, host for Leave.
    Monmouthshire split almost 50:50. Remain just edged it.

We are all being very civilized about the matter; detente has been declared. My dog walking fraternity are just rolling their eyes as Westminster once again fails to get to grips with reality.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    Have the unions published a statement yet from the meeting they had this afternoon? Fasil Islam was getting very excitee by this earlier.
  • Options

I can't believe this is true. If it is, it's a fucking disgrace.
  • Options

it might be relative to their MP cohort?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,044
    Now Momentum are picketing the constituency surgeries of moderate Labour MPs.
    http://order-order.com/2016/06/29/labour-mp-emails-utter-disgrace-mcdonnell/
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PickardJE: Compelling rumour that Pat Glass resigned (after 2 days in shadow cabinet) because she thought wrongly that Burnham was about to jump....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    edited June 2016
    Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: Compelling rumour that Pat Glass resigned (after 2 days in shadow cabinet) because she thought wrongly that Burnham was about to jump....

Shortest Shadow Cabinet minister appt. in history?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Corbyn & maomentum trying to hold the labour party hostage.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    edited June 2016
    matt said:

I wouldn't be so certain of that. I appreciate that it looks bad but time remains. We rush to judgement very quickly sometimes.

I do think Nick Palmer (elected, I'd suggest, because of Tony Blair not because of personal virtues) overestimates his own self worth.

I think others overestimate my worth, frankly. As I was saying to Southam earlier, why is he so concerned with the opinion of an ex-MP who hasn't been in Parliament for 6 years?

I comment here as a longstanding party member with an interest in what's going on and a mixture of pragmatic background and support for a leftward move. As such I'm probably typical of a certain type of member, but I claim no particular authority and will be perrfectly happy to be seen as just another contributor.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

and that Charlie Falconer was going to as well no doubt?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Trusting Burnham to man up. She is more of an idiot than those comments the other week about racists suggested.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,044
    Scott_P said:

Even David Laws managed a week!
  • Options

it might be relative to their MP cohort?
    In that case surely the correct term should have been horde :-)
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: Rumour that Owen Smith has had change of heart and may run for Labour leadership.

Please please please... Owen Smith £2,763.33
  • Options
    Corbyn gets heckled at the Save Corbyn rally...
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Sandpit said:

Are you sat down

Er no. He has been a dismal leader, a far left eurosceptic in a moderate centre-left Europhile party that has helped deliver the biggest victory for the right in a generation with his equivocating and nonexistent campaigning. He is now failing to observe constitutional precedent as Loto despite losing a NCV by 172-40. The guy has a galactic sized ego and will condemn the country to a generation of Tory government, and destroy the party.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Sandpit said:

Are you sat down

No need to be rude. Responsibility is the price of leadership. This is Corbyns Labour, the blame is his and no-one else's.

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Lenin, “There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

No agreement.

This is an improvement?

Sounds great to me.

Do they have a veto over what EU legislation/regulation gets adopted into the EEA agreement?

That is my point.
    All EFTA members have a veto over the expansion of the EEA agreement (hence the Norwegian refusal to allow it to include oil and gas legislation)

They also all have a veto over individual directives but no one has yet used it. Instead they have basically ignored legislation they don't agree with whilst warning that if pushed they will veto it. They have done this with both railways and postal directives. The EU has not pushed back so far for fear of provoking the veto.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The people have spoken, the EU will be left. Following this a trade deal will be reached which the people will either accept or reject.

Your last line is ambiguous to me - are you in the camp the deal needs voting on, or the people will accept or reject it through a GE vote after the fact?

Deal needs to be voted on but it's a binary choice, leave with deal or leave with nothing. It's leave either way, there's no going back on that.

A post that shows just how scared Leave are that the country has changed its mind.........
  • Options

@paulwaugh: Rumour that Owen Smith has had change of heart and may run for Labour leadership.

Well he would certainly be better than the Pigeon about to launch her shit.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Sandpit said:

Are you sat down

No need to be rude. Responsibility is the price of leadership. This is Corbyns Labour, the blame is his and no-one else's.

Also his insane followers, some of whom are completely vile (not my Corbynite friends, they're just naive simpletons)
    At the last rally there was a man with a charming t-shirt on. If you replaced the word Blairites with immigrants he would most likely have ended up in court.
  • Options

Older people cared enough to vote. Or are you saying there should be an age limit.

OllyT said:

isn't it marvellous to have our sovereignty back so that a small group of mainly superannuated OAP's can "take back control" and decide the direction of the country for the next couple of generations. (I'm an OAP so believe me I know how totally out of touch with the modern world most are).
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    Can anyone imagine Corbyn in number 10 holed up in his bunker? Would refuse to listen to anyone who didn't share his own view.

He's doing massive damage to the party now, but I think the myth about his decency and humility is beginning to wear thin.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

and that Charlie Falconer was going to as well no doubt?
    Glass should know better than to listen to idle Westminster gossip.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

kle4 said:

A post that shows just how scared Leave are that the country has changed its mind.........
    Not at all. Its a statement of fact.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Sandpit said:

Are you sat down

The fact you agree with ST is bizzare. Lewis or Burnham would give the PLP a chance of defeating JC IMO

As i have already said i would vote for either of those two to save the party.

Cant think of anyone else though.

AE is surely scraping the barrel a poor4th of 5 in deputy contest 9 months ago FFS beaten by Flint Creasey and TW
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Corbyn & maomentum trying to hold the labour party hostage.
    They really are a fucking disgrace. Nick will you condemn this?
  • Options

Lenin, “There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

I never knew that Vladimir said that and I once knew all his famous sayings.
  • Options

Labour don't do women leaders - oops let me rephrase!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,792

"On 9 January 2016, he voiced an interest in eventually standing for Labour Leadership, saying it would be an "incredible honour and privilege" to do the job." (Wikipedia)
  • Options
    felix said:

On recent form they don't do leaders period.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Sandpit said:

Are you sat down

The fact you agree with ST is bizzare. Lewis or Burnham would give the PLP a chance of defeating JC IMO

As i have already said i would vote for either of those two to save the party.

Cant think of anyone else though.

AE is surely scraping the barrel a poor4th of 5 in deputy contest 9 months ago FFS beaten by Flint Creasey and TW
    The party is dead with Corbyn. Because of that and only because of that literally anyone is better now.
  • Options
    Icarus said:

Jobabob said:

Sandpit said:

Are you sat down

Anthony Blair? Surely not!!
    Andy Burnham
  • Options
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

isn't it marvellous to have our sovereignty back so that a small group of mainly superannuated OAP's can "take back control" and decide the direction of the country for the next couple of generations. (I'm an OAP so believe me I know how totally out of touch with the modern world most are).
    If the young voters can't be arsed to get out and vote they have no right to complain.

I have had to put up with being part of the EU for 43 years because I was too young to vote last time. I hopefully have as much time again on this earth and I am very happy to have been able to vote to Leave.
  • Options

Have the unions published a statement yet from the meeting they had this afternoon? Fasil Islam was getting very excitee by this earlier.

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/748232046892425217
  • Options
    edited June 2016

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

No agreement.

This is an improvement?

Sounds great to me.

That is my point.
    All EFTA members have a veto over the expansion of the EEA agreement (hence the Norwegian refusal to allow it to include oil and gas legislation)

They also all have a veto over individual directives but no one has yet used it. Instead they have basically ignored legislation they don't agree with whilst warning that if pushed they will veto it. They have done this with both railways and postal directives. The EU has not pushed back so far for fear of provoking the veto.
    Thank you.

So the answer is yes: Norway and Liechtenstein and Iceland each would have a veto over our access to the single market if we became EEA members.

Oh, but they've never used it. Well d'oh...the UK has never been a part of the EEA before...

Doesn't make your case necessarily any weaker but in this new, post-Project Fear honest debate we're all having about it, you should at least acknowledge that element of the EEA route.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    I missed the last thread, very busy day at work.

May I just point out that I didn't vote for him the first time? ;)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    Scott_P said:
    Well, at least they are actually getting it this time :p:D
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

kle4 said:

Part of me wishes the country would change its mind... but the polling indicates that it hasn't, yet.

We're out, I think, barring some black swan. I am 90% certain it will be into EEA. We just have to ensure France doesn't screw our banks. Which will be hard, but we have cards to play as well - e.g. Eastern Europe and Scandinavia will be much keener to help us than Paris, and all the countries have a say.

This is modestly cheering:

http://reaction.life/liberal-minded-internationalists-risk-backing-wrong-horse/
    That is a great article. Looking at treaties dulls the brain. I love me some charts and tables every now and then.

I particularly liked clause (2). EEA could just be a waystation for us.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    @John_M....

I think that's a pragmatic way of looking at it. All I would add is when I said that in April that potential deal flow was down, I was told look at PMIs, everything's fine. I know of a number of deals that were pulled on Friday. It's easy to dismiss these as froth and not the real economy and I'd concede that there's a point there. But these are confidence straws in the wind.

Equally, financial institutions (and I use that in the widest sense of the phrase) are making relocation plans. Perhaps they won't move now but our reputation for stability has been damaged. People can say good riddance, but London's tax receipts are some way above the population. It subsidises the country financially, if not perhaps morally. Choices have consequences.

I've asked on here, which specific regulations hinder competition and flexibility. I get bluster. There are bright people who post here and if they could say, I'd have more confidence about next steps. As it is I don't. To borrow a line from someone wittier than me, we were standing on a cliff top and decided to take a giant pace forward. Let's hope there's a parachute. And that someone's willing to pull the ripcord because base jumping kills....
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

I think others overestimate my worth, frankly. As I was saying to Southam earlier, why is he so concerned with the opinion of an ex-MP who hasn't been in Parliament for 6 years?

I comment here as a longstanding party member with an interest in what's going on and a mixture of pragmatic background and support for a leftward move. As such I'm probably typical of a certain type of member, but I claim no particular authority and will be perrfectly happy to be seen as just another contributor.

Apologies Nick if I missed an earlier comment of yours from the weeks tens of thousands of other comments but do you wish to see Corbyn resign or remain?

• Options

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

If the young voters can't be arsed to get out and vote they have no right to complain.

I have had to put up with being part of the EU for 43 years because I was too young to vote last time. I hopefully have as much time again on this earth and I am very happy to have been able to vote to Leave.
    Despite my views on Brexit I agree - they need to grow up, vote up, or shut up.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

superannuated OAPs and Norway and Iceland and Liechtenstein.

Edit: absolutely no offence to OAPs of any stripe..
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,564
    felix said:

They're screwing their male leader very effectively to make up though.
  • Options

OllyT said:

Would you prefer it to be in the hands of the Momentum yoof?

I was responding to Alistair's point re the Tory leadership election:-

"The winner is likely to be setting policy that will set the course of the nation for two generations, so this had better be well thought-through."

My point is that I find it supremely ironic given all the recent guff about sovereignty and "taking back control" that the decision will ultimately be taken by, what, 150,000 wealth Tory OAPs.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739
    John_M said:

I can't believe this is true. If it is, it's a fucking disgrace.
    UKIP has a bench?
  • Options
    i understand May will appoint either Boris or Gove Minister for Brexit

So when it all goes tits up they still get the blame, and she can swoop in and sign the deal they should have done all along.

Liking it so far...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Thank you.

So the answer is yes: Norway and Liechtenstein and Iceland each would have a veto over our access to the single market if we are EEA members.

Oh, but they've never used it. Well d'oh...the UK has never been a part of the EEA before...

Doesn't make your case necessarily any weaker but in this new, post-Project Fear honest debate we're all having about it, you should at least acknowledge that element of the EEA route.

Um. No. They would have a veto over us joining EFTA. That is it. Unless you feel we should be able to force our way in?

And we are currently part of the EEA. So long as we join EFTA upon t]leaving the EU that will remain the case.

My preference is for EFTA/EEA. If we don't get it then we will have to sort out a separate FTA. It is rather too late for you to worry about it now as it doesn't change the fact that we have voted to leave the EU and whether or not we become a member of EFTA will not change that basic - rather glorious - fact.

This discussion has been closed.