Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206
    TGOHF said:

Nooooooo!

The most beautiful man in the world won't be in the next series of Strictly.

Come back Gleb.

No Gleb, Aliona, Kristinia, or Ola, is there any point in watching ?

Oksana will make it all better - believe me.
    Gleb was pretty but I found him cold and lacking sex appeal. Meanwhile the new Gorka looks a Corka.

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    If Boris had lost the referendum 48-52, he'd be favourite for the leadership. The victory has ruined him. Do any of our resident classicists know of a suitable term? @Morris_Dancer
  • Options
    If you want a simple example that perfectly encapsulates the reason for Brexit take a look in any town in country and you will see it - The Hand Car Wash. Half a dozen overseas workers earning a pittance, probably on a zero hours contract, working long hours with their in income being topped up with tax credits.

Immigration, zero hours contracts, rising welfare budgets - all in a mop and a bucket.
  • Options
    madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659
    taffys said:

'Speaking personally I find May deeply uninspiring.'

My reason for choosing Boris is he comes with Gove. The latter is the only person I really trust to deliver a lasting settlement.

Gove did the thinking for the referendum, and he should do the thinking now. He's been very quiet since the vote - I don;t know why.

It's simple. Gove thinks logcally. He has to square the circle - impossible spending promises made by leave, impossible immigration made by Leave and impossible NHS spending promise - must all be rejected without upsetting those who voted Leave.

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    felix said:

JonathanD said:

felix said:

PlatoSaid said:

Why is Osborne on R4 saying we'll have tax rises and spending cuts when he's not going to be CoE in the new HMG set up?

He's stirring.

Some more taxes on the super rich and the likes of Starbucks and Google would not go amiss. The 1% owning more than the other 99% annoys not only left wingers. It's all got very skewed

No idea how to do this in practice, but a new Chancellor could contradict the old one and buy back some Tory support from the middle ground, which will be needed
    That statement from Osborne should rule him out of the next Govt. He no longer sets the policy and should not be trying to. The new Chancellor needs to be more positive and avoid a panic budget with further cuts (except in the EU and overseas aid)
    Why does anyone need to be positive - surely the very fact of Brexit should have sent the £ and the stock markets soaring. You're the one who is off message.
    I never said or expected stock markets or the £ to soar and note that FTSE100 is up on Febuary.
    The FTSE 100 is only up on February because the £ has fallen so far and the 75% of revenue FTSE 100 companies get from outside the UK is suddenly worth more. This is basic economics - come on.

That is sort of the point. The UK has a balance of payments deficit, so you WANT the pound to fall to make inflows more valuable and exports more competitive. The fall in the pound is great news for the UK economy and demonstrates why (as if it needed repeating) that being in the Euro would be such a disaster. The risk of depreciation is importing inflation which is a low concern right now. The main task should be to make sure the pound stays low where it needs to be to address the balance of payments problem.
    Whilst I'm totally not advocating devaluation as an economic tool, has this also not reduced our national debt, because that's denominated in sterling? I don't know this to be a fact, happy to be corrected.
    Some of that is true but it also reduces the willingness of the RoW to finance any of that debt so we are still ever so much f*****. :) Of course the solution is to raise taxes and cut spending - given the high leave vote among the pensioners I can see some options.
    ROW is a very small factor so no need to panic.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

JonathanD said:

felix said:

PlatoSaid said:

Why is Osborne on R4 saying we'll have tax rises and spending cuts when he's not going to be CoE in the new HMG set up?

He's stirring.

Some more taxes on the super rich and the likes of Starbucks and Google would not go amiss. The 1% owning more than the other 99% annoys not only left wingers. It's all got very skewed

No idea how to do this in practice, but a new Chancellor could contradict the old one and buy back some Tory support from the middle ground, which will be needed
    That statement from Osborne should rule him out of the next Govt. He no longer sets the policy and should not be trying to. The new Chancellor needs to be more positive and avoid a panic budget with further cuts (except in the EU and overseas aid)
    Why does anyone need to be positive - surely the very fact of Brexit should have sent the £ and the stock markets soaring. You're the one who is off message.
    I never said or expected stock markets or the £ to soar and note that FTSE100 is up on Febuary.
    The FTSE 100 is only up on February because the £ has fallen so far and the 75% of revenue FTSE 100 companies get from outside the UK is suddenly worth more. This is basic economics - come on.

That is sort of the point. The UK has a balance of payments deficit, so you WANT the pound to fall to make inflows more valuable and exports more competitive. The fall in the pound is great news for the UK economy and demonstrates why (as if it needed repeating) that being in the Euro would be such a disaster. The risk of depreciation is importing inflation which is a low concern right now. The main task should be to make sure the pound stays low where it needs to be to address the balance of payments problem.
    Whilst I'm totally not advocating devaluation as an economic tool, has this also not reduced our national debt, because that's denominated in sterling? I don't know this to be a fact, happy to be corrected.
    Some government debt is in dollars so the fall in sterling automatically increases the national debt.
    Really? What percentage? Why should the UK have been issuing Dollar denominated debt?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited June 2016
    There seems to still be a very strange attitude amongst posters here, and also to an extent amongst UK politicians and commentators, that the UK can decide what our relationship with the EU is going to be. That is extremely naive. It takes two (or in this case, 28) to tango. I doubt very much if EEA membership is even on the table as a starting point, but, even if it were, it's quite certain that there's no 'only the nice bits of the EEA' option.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    TOPPING said:

JonathanD said:

felix said:

PlatoSaid said:

He's stirring.

250 is currently up close to 3%
    Don't confuse the poor boy with facts.
    It's bouncing off its 18-mth lows.

Are the facts.
    Oh god not the perils of 2014 again...
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited June 2016
    MaxPB said:

taffys said:

My reason for choosing Boris is he comes with Gove. The latter is the only person I really trust to deliver a lasting settlement.

Gove did the thinking for the referendum, and he should do the thinking now. He's been very quiet since the vote - I don;t know why.

It's looking more and more like Boris comes with Osborne.
    Which sounds incredible but it would be a good thing for the Tory party. GO has a lot of support in the party, especially in the ministerial ranks and bridges are going to need to be built.

If Boris, Gove and Osborne can all work together it will provide sharp contrast to the Blairites, Brownites and Corbynites shredding one another across the House.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,594

What we need is cool calm heads. Shame hammond isn't going for tory leader, he is perfect for the role.at this time.

Hopefully he'll be the next Chancellor.
    Richard, off topic, but what was the all girls Oxford college known as 'Virgin Megastore'?
    St Hilda's (the last all-woman college).

I got mine there (wife, that is!)
    tlg86 said:

JohnO said:

What we need is cool calm heads. Shame hammond isn't going for tory leader, he is perfect for the role.at this time.

Richard, off topic, but what was the all girls Oxford college known as 'Virgin Megastore'?
    I thnk St Hugh's.
    Thanks John
    St Hilda's!
    Thank you both.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Your next Prime minister Ladies and gentlemen...

@SamCoatesTimes: Boris Telegraph y'day column was "written too quickly" and he's tired. Friends agree sloppy & sent mixed messages & will be vetted in future
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

If Boris had lost the referendum 48-52, he'd be favourite for the leadership. The victory has ruined him. Do any of our resident classicists know of a suitable term? @Morris_Dancer

Pyrrhic victory?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    JonathanD said:

JonathanD said:

JonathanD said:

felix said:

PlatoSaid said:

He's stirring.

FTSE 250 revenue is just over 50% from outside UK, so again, drop in value of the £ is beneficial in the short term.

Pound up today against the dollar.

Markets have taken a hit, but it's hardly the collapse of western civilisation.
    It was never going to be the end of western civilization but as predicted before, we are going to experience a recession or near static growth for a couple of years and will be poorer over the short, medium and long term than we would have been.

I think long term we;ll have the world beating down our door to do business here and of course you're assuming everything will be hunky dory in the EU...

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

RobD said:

The worst you can say about May is that she's cold. Maybe her soft Remain is worse than a soft Leave, but there's not too much in that.

Whilst I didn't expect to do so a few months ago, if it is her v Boris (or Fox) I will happily vote for her.

The PB 4 May faction is gathering strength!
    IMHO May has more chance of reaching over (or around) to the leavers than Boris has to the remainers.
    But.
    There are IMHO more hardened LEAVErs than hardened REMAINers amongst tory MPs (Step 1)
    There are 2 LEAVErs for every 1 REMAINer amongst the Tory party members (Step 2).
    She needs to convince twice as many as Boris does then - I think she can do that.
    Whether it's her fault or not - she's presided over an immigration mess for 6yrs.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,427
    Struggling to keep up. Has Fox now entered the race?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

Speaking personally I find May deeply uninspiring. Her low profile during the referendum campaign was pretty typical of her time in the Home Office. She is a bureaucrat with only a patina of personality. Her Desert Island Discs program was stunningly dull and I was left checking that she was not even older than I thought.

I think you would have to be very anti-Boris to choose her as leader. No doubt many people are but well meaning, earnest, moderately bright and ultra cautious is not enough for PM. The comparison with what has been lost in Cameron is just painful. This single factor came closer to changing my vote to remain than anything said in the whole campaign.

If Cameron had backed Leave, he'd have carried all before him - his Party members, his MPs and most of his voters/plus all those other Leavers.

Talk about backing the wrong side. The subject of many future books.
    Ah - the last thing we need is a politician with principles - much better go for Boris -' you don't like my principles - wait I have some others' :)
  • Options

Hannibal. He might win a memorable battle but ultimately loses the war.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Are the facts.

And will no doubt bounce around a lot in the coming weeks.
  • Options
    @SamCoatesTimes: I'm told Boris Johnson has made clear to Tory right he WILL end EU free movement after Telegraph column y'day angered ppl.

He's going to get slaughtered by an Economic Reality candidate
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    That's what pulling me to Team Boris - not something I expected to ever say.

If I was a tory MP that would be my price for support. What are you doing with Michael Gove? I'd like to see him as chancellor, with Leadsom first sec to treasury. Very strong team.

If Boris has sensible and stable people around him, his faults can be forgiven. And faults he certainly has.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

I was asking for a classicist, but you'll have to do.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    edited June 2016

There seems to still be a very strange attitude amongst posters posters here, and also to an extent amongst UK politicians and commentators, that the UK can decide what our relationship with the EU is going to be. That is extremely naive. It takes two (or in this case, 28) to tango. I doubt very much if EEA membership is even on the table as a starting point, but, even if it were, it's quite certain that there's no 'only the nice bits of the EEA' option.

Thank You Richard. Some people seem to think they are in Tescos and they can pick exactly what they want from the shelf after a mixture of dithering and argument.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

There seems to still be a very strange attitude amongst posters posters here, and also to an extent amongst UK politicians and commentators, that the UK can decide what our relationship with the EU is going to be. That is extremely naive. It takes two (or in this case, 28) to tango. I doubt very much if EEA membership is even on the table as a starting point, but, even if it were, it's quite certain that there's no 'only the nice bits of the EEA' option.

Well given how much we buy from them (compared to how much they buy buy from us) I can't see why EEA wouldn't be on the table.

But I agree that we won't be able to "cherry pick" and we'll have to accept free movement.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

May/Hammond is my dream team. Dull as anything :D
    Lack of charisma should not be confused with efficiency, as both of their ministerial careers richly attest.
    Yep, we don't need charisma right now.
    Here I disagree - we need someone who can inspire and carry the nation. A dull technocrat isn't suited to that.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Struggling to keep up. Has Fox now entered the race?

Indeed he has. - according to BBC.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

If you want a simple example that perfectly encapsulates the reason for Brexit take a look in any town in country and you will see it - The Hand Car Wash. Half a dozen overseas workers earning a pittance, probably on a zero hours contract, working long hours with their in income being topped up with tax credits.

Immigration, zero hours contracts, rising welfare budgets - all in a mop and a bucket.

I don't remember such carwashes operating before the eastern Europeans came along. Or are you worried they will put Option 4 "Superwash" at Shell out of business?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

taffys said:

Lol - that would be funny - I'd love to watch some of the posters on here cope with that amount of dissonance.
  • Options

Miss Plato, there's another lesson to take. If Cameron had campaigned to convince and persuade rather than cajole, frighten and belittle, he wouldn't won.

It turns out 'Little England' isn't a clever catchphrase when the majority of the electorate are English.

I hope to never hear that horrible belittling phrase ever again.
  • Options
    @IanDunt: Boris is about to face a question of personal ambition vs national interest. I wonder which will win? https://t.co/oc1PKI9CKn

He is an inconsistent flake
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,348
    RodCrosby said:

I'm also told there is "growing pressure" on Tom Watson from all wings of the party to stand against Corbyn.

I've just checked the Rule Book. In the event of Corbyn resigning Tom Watson becomes Party Leader Pro Tem. The rule book is clear that an election for a replacement should ordinarily take place at Conference. However, with some doubt as to whether there will be party conferences this year I imagine the NEC will push for an immediate (and accelerated) timetable for a new election.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Nooooooo!

The most beautiful man in the world won't be in the next series of Strictly.

Come back Gleb.

No Gleb, Aliona, Kristinia, or Ola, is there any point in watching ?

Oksana will make it all better - believe me.
    Just seen. She looks like Tess Daly. Purrr
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Are the facts.

And will no doubt bounce around a lot in the coming weeks.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@IanDunt: Boris is about to face a question of personal ambition vs national interest. I wonder which will win? https://t.co/oc1PKI9CKn

He is an inconsistent flake

At this point I'm hoping Boris does win just so I can see your reaction! :smiley:
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

I think that EEA countries can withdrawal ALL benefits from EU citizens.

Yup, this is the obvious way to square the circle with Leave's immigration promises. In reality it wouldn't make a lot of difference, but immigration (especially net immigration) will most likely be falling anyhow as Britain becomes poorer and more racist.
  • Options
    taffys said:

If Boris has sensible and stable people around him, his faults can be forgiven. And faults he certainly has.

That rules out Gove. And Leadsom.

We don't need experts. £350m a week.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    edited June 2016
    TOPPING said:

I don't remember such carwashes operating before the eastern Europeans came along. Or are you worried they will put Option 4 "Superwash" at Shell out of business?
    They are. I used to work in vehicle washes and the hand cleaners are kicking the crap out of the sector. They cant sell new units and eventually the spares business dries up too. Fortunately most washes are imported from Germany.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Guardian reporting that Liz Truss is backing Boris.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Price :D

I have returned! Huzzah!

It's Pyrrhic, naturally, which is a shame as Pyrrhus was a rather capable chap.

There's also an element of the Battle of Najera (which is modern, of course), which the Black Prince won, but the booty from which was exceeded by the cost of mercenary wages.
  • Options
    Osborne cunningly working to torpedo Boris by pretending to support him... you read it here first.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I'm sure they do a very good job but it seems we have gone back thirty years in productivity terms.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

They are. I used to work in vehicle washes and the hand cleaners are kicking the crap out of the sector. They cant sell new units and eventually the spares business dries up too. Fortunately most washes are imported from Germany.
    god bless the Poles propping up the UK economy.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited June 2016
    ''There seems to still be a very strange attitude amongst posters posters here, and also to an extent amongst UK politicians and commentators, that the UK can decide what our relationship with the EU is going to be.''

No illusions from me. You are entirely correct. If we ditch free movement we can kiss the single market goodbye.

Luckily, it seems countries are forming a line to clinch free trade deals with us. ANZAC, West Africa and most importantly the US.

I am sure the line will get longer.
  • Options
    This

@David_K_Clark: I'm beginning to think Boris won't become PM because too many Tories want to dodge responsibility and get a Remainer to clear up their mess.

That has been the mood since Friday.

"Why won't the Remainers sort my shit?"
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

god bless the Poles propping up the UK economy.
    more likely Romanians and Bulgarians.
  • Options

There seems to still be a very strange attitude amongst posters here, and also to an extent amongst UK politicians and commentators, that the UK can decide what our relationship with the EU is going to be. That is extremely naive. It takes two (or in this case, 28) to tango. I doubt very much if EEA membership is even on the table as a starting point, but, even if it were, it's quite certain that there's no 'only the nice bits of the EEA' option.

You missed the memo 'Take back control' - indeed it hasn't yet reached Frau Merkel et al!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,427
    Scott_P said:

@SamCoatesTimes: I'm told Boris Johnson has made clear to Tory right he WILL end EU free movement after Telegraph column y'day angered ppl.

Flip flop Boris? Is he modelling himself on Burnham?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Its still Boris vs not Boris. I hope that the Tory party finds the choice as impossible and damaging as our Jezza vs not Jezza

Regarding Jexit. It seems that the whips will all resign when the no confidence motion is carried. Perhaps Corbyn needs to draft in Momentum activists to be whips as there won't be anyone left to be a whip nor will the whips be able to successfully whip the PLP

The choice for Labour members is now clear: vote for Corbyn and kill the Labour party; or vote for someone else and have a chance of keeping it alive. This is not about Blairites versus the membership. It is about relevance v irrelevance.
    I wonder if it is worth it. Whether a centre/centre-left party, shorn of the baggage of both Labour and the LibDems, is now what is needed. Free of socialism, free of the Trade Union paymasters, free of Blair and tuition fees. Socially liberal, but without overbearing adherence to everything PC.

Fiscally sensible but looking out for the poorest in our society. A true safety net for those in need, without pandering to those who see a life on state hand-outs as a career choice.

Meeting our obligation to international aid - but not embarrassed to say that we have enough on our plate looking after the poorest of our country's 60 million without feeling an obligation to provide for all of the planet's 6 billion.

(These last two paras might sound very Tory, but they are things that REALLY get many Labour voters pissed off.)

Where politicians with experience of life outside the Westminster bubble is hugely valued over careerist SPADS or family name.

These basic tenets should be enough to open a can of whoop-ass over the Tories.
    The Patrick Party.
    I'd vote for that!
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

RobD said:

May/Hammond is my dream team. Dull as anything :D
    Lack of charisma should not be confused with efficiency, as both of their ministerial careers richly attest.
    Corbyn is demonstrating how far lack of charisma gets you.
  • Options

I was asking for a classicist, but you'll have to do.
    I considered reading Literae Humaniores at Oxford, but then realised I wanted a proper job at the end of it, not non jobs like Editor of the Spectator or Mayor of London
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

taffys said:

That will count against Boris for the LEAVEr votes in the MPs and party.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977

RodCrosby said:

I'm also told there is "growing pressure" on Tom Watson from all wings of the party to stand against Corbyn.

I've just checked the Rule Book. In the event of Corbyn resigning Tom Watson becomes Party Leader Pro Tem. The rule book is clear that an election for a replacement should ordinarily take place at Conference. However, with some doubt as to whether there will be party conferences this year I imagine the NEC will push for an immediate (and accelerated) timetable for a new election.

Corbyn is not going to resign. He does not have either the intelligence or the love of the Labour party to do it.

• Options
    @LSWalesCDdCymru: President has today written to the @walesoffice & @fmwales to urge UK gov to maintain EU research funding levels https://t.co/18jUUn5F5j

I am sure Boris has that earmarked from his £350m. No, sorry, that's for the NHS...
  • Options

Osborne cunningly working to torpedo Boris by pretending to support him... you read it here first.

Isnt this meant to be big happy Tory family time ?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    TOPPING said:

Most petrol stations are run as franchises rather than being owned by the oil companies. Some poor bugger's laid out six figures for a mechanical car wash no-one is using any more.
  • Options

@shashj: He had FOUR MONTHS to develop coherent ideas. Instead, he wrote a sleep-deprived “plan” torn up in twenty-four hours https://t.co/4BPanbMH2C
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,718

I've always supported a directly elected president of the eu as a step in the right direction, and replacing the endless unelected ones, to addressing the undeniable democratic deficit in the EU. Of course it's unlikely to come to pass anytime soon because member state heads of governments wouldn't like the idea. Thoughts on here from leavers regarding that?

(Please, no one respond with "so you want President Blair"!)

I would strongly have supported that, and as a LEAVER, I would have voted REMAIN in this instance and been very much in favour of staying in the EU.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,348

RodCrosby said:

Corbyn is not going to resign. He does not have either the intelligence or the love of the Labour party to do it.

Then we will have Prexit - the exit of the Progress faction from the Party.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

10.40 Graham Allen, Labour’s MP from Nottingham North is reportedly boycotting today’s no confidence vote... says he will abstain from the vote to avoid legitimising any particular faction. He also voices discontent over a vote that has no procedural standing in the party.

10.31 Labour MPs expect a two-thirds vote of no confidence in Corbyn when the result is announced around 4:30pm. They then expect a mass resignation of whips (a leader's last line of defence) to follow.

Watson is a Grade A bruiser, but leader? Oh no. He's no finesse, no charm and dresses like a cheap Mafia don.

I still think Angela Eagles is the best on offer, there's something so genuine about her - and she's very good in Parly. She's not my cup of tea - but I can see her actually caring, rather than grandstanding/attention seeking.

Jarvis has nothing but a spec of backstory.
  • Options

Yup, this is the obvious way to square the circle with Leave's immigration promises. In reality it wouldn't make a lot of difference, but immigration (especially net immigration) will most likely be falling anyhow as Britain becomes poorer and more racist.

Indeed - most immigrants come here looking for a job and will worry about health care etc when they have to. But as we become a less attractive country to live in - economically and socially - less will come.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    edited June 2016
    A plea

Can all the Conservative members here please try their best to stay objective when it comes to betting related posts on the Tory leadership battle, and avoid just ramping their preferred candidate :)

Thanks !
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    GIN1138 said:

JonathanD said:

JonathanD said:

JonathanD said:

felix said:

PlatoSaid said:

He's stirring.

FTSE 250 revenue is just over 50% from outside UK, so again, drop in value of the £ is beneficial in the short term.

Pound up today against the dollar.

Markets have taken a hit, but it's hardly the collapse of western civilisation.
    It was never going to be the end of western civilization but as predicted before, we are going to experience a recession or near static growth for a couple of years and will be poorer over the short, medium and long term than we would have been.

I think long term we;ll have the world beating down our door to do business here and of course you're assuming everything will be hunky dory in the EU...

A large part of the 'world beating down our door to do business here' was based on our access to the European market of 500million people. If the EU suddenly goes bad then its going to have a huge impact on us. Better to have stayed in and worked to reform it and grown our marketplace.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Most petrol stations are run as franchises rather than being owned by the oil companies. Some poor bugger's laid out six figures for a mechanical car wash no-one is using any more.
    Yes, the market can be unpredictable at times. What about those rose-sellers on the central reservation of dual carriageways...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Ha, ha - he is a complete joke. And he is going to be our next Prime Minister. God bless the Conservative party membership. Almost as loopy as the Labour one.

• Options

Indeed - most immigrants come here looking for a job and will worry about health care etc when they have to. But as we become a less attractive country to live in - economically and socially - less will come.

SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your first mis-step of the campaign.

"...FEWER will come."

Sheesh.
  • Options

Caption competition:

Your career is over.

Yes, David, I know...
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited June 2016
    Conservatives will want a leader who is in favour of LEAVE to ensure we have a determined LEAVE negotiator.

We know May isn't in favour of LEAVE but is Boris actually in favour of LEAVE?

Which potential Conservative leader has been consistently in favour of LEAVE - Liam Fox?
  • Options

Isnt this meant to be big happy Tory family time ?
    That was if Remain won. Since it didn't, there's a bit of sibling squabbling going on, but they'll settle down once the likes of JohnO call them to order.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

RobD said:

The worst you can say about May is that she's cold. Maybe her soft Remain is worse than a soft Leave, but there's not too much in that.

Whilst I didn't expect to do so a few months ago, if it is her v Boris (or Fox) I will happily vote for her.

The PB 4 May faction is gathering strength!
    IMHO May has more chance of reaching over (or around) to the leavers than Boris has to the remainers.
    But.
    There are IMHO more hardened LEAVErs than hardened REMAINers amongst tory MPs (Step 1)
    There are 2 LEAVErs for every 1 REMAINer amongst the Tory party members (Step 2).
    She needs to convince twice as many as Boris does then - I think she can do that.
    Whether it's her fault or not - she's presided over an immigration mess for 6yrs.
    A point many pundits forget.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    I'm a bit surprised May wants the job.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Scott_P said:

@shashj: He had FOUR MONTHS to develop coherent ideas. Instead, he wrote a sleep-deprived “plan” torn up in twenty-four hours https://t.co/4BPanbMH2C
    tbf, the government was not a lot better, especially if it is true that proper planning was hampered by fear of FOI requests. Both sides deserved to lose.
  • Options
    Mr. D, the EU may forced to reform now [although I remain sceptical], but if we'd voted to Remain it would have trundled merrily down the road of 'more Europe' and ever closer integration.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Pulpstar said:

A plea

Can all the Conservative members here please try their best to stay objective when it comes to betting related posts on the Tory leadership battle, and avoid just ramping their preferred candidate :)

Thanks !

I have Nick Boles at something like 50s. Good operator. Him and Stephen Kinnock I could live with.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    For six years, May has been in charge of immigration.

May "campaigns" (i.e. lets it be known she is in the same column) with Remain. Makes no show for Remain in the campaign though.

The voters, deeply unhappy with immigration, vote to remedy this by voting Leave to eject us from the EU.

The Prime Minister resigns - and May is rewarded by getting the top job herself.

Anybody else think these is something not quite right about this?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062
    So as I understand it the market reaction was:

Friday: bloody hell they've voted out
    Monday: bloody hell there's no plan
    Tuesday: The new normal
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    Scott_P said:

@LSWalesCDdCymru: President has today written to the @walesoffice & @fmwales to urge UK gov to maintain EU research funding levels https://t.co/18jUUn5F5j

I am sure Boris has that earmarked from his £350m. No, sorry, that's for the NHS...

I had an Alumni mailing yesterday. Reading between the lines #1 Noone knows what Brexit means which is a crap way to run a country. #2 There having to re reassure international staff and students who are bewildered by the Xenophobia. #3 There honouring the existing Fee structure till 2018 to reassure folk but after that.....
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,027
    taffys said:

''There seems to still be a very strange attitude amongst posters posters here, and also to an extent amongst UK politicians and commentators, that the UK can decide what our relationship with the EU is going to be.''

No illusions from me. You are entirely correct. If we ditch free movement we can kiss the single market goodbye.

Luckily, it seems countries are forming a line to clinch free trade deals with us. ANZAC, West Africa and most importantly the US.

We could manage free movement.... We can't manage the changes to benefits that are required for us to manage free movement...
  • Options
    Apparently Wimbledon has commenced.

If Konta could win it, that would prove most helpful for a SPOTY bet.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

I've always supported a directly elected president of the eu as a step in the right direction, and replacing the endless unelected ones, to addressing the undeniable democratic deficit in the EU. Of course it's unlikely to come to pass anytime soon because member state heads of governments wouldn't like the idea. Thoughts on here from leavers regarding that?

(Please, no one respond with "so you want President Blair"!)

I would strongly have supported that, and as a LEAVER, I would have voted REMAIN in this instance and been very much in favour of staying in the EU.
    Suppose we did have a President of Europe elected by all the peoples of Europe and that post had real powers. What would be the situation if the president made a decision that the people of, say, Germany could not accept or went against Germany's constitution?

It is a nice idea, but unless there is one demos and essentially the dismantling of the nation states, I think it quite unworkable in practice.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

PlatoSaid said:

If Cameron had backed Leave, he'd have carried all before him - his Party members, his MPs and most of his voters/plus all those other Leavers.

Not all those who voted Leave would have backed Cameron, Ms Plato. I was in two minds, until the very end.

If Cameron and Osborne had been on the Leave side, with their dirty tricks, threats and bullying, I would have found it very easy to go for Remain, who would presumably have had a much more respectful campaign.
    I think Cameron wouldn't have resorted to threats and bullying if he'd been truer to his previous campaigning style of offering hope and future pride in Britain. That got him into Number 10 twice.

It was because he'd accepted such a poor deal that he resorted to Project Fear. TBH, I think that's why so many of his previous supporters [like me] were so appalled by it.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062

May "campaigns" (i.e. lets it be known she is in the same column) with Remain. Makes no show for Remain in the campaign though.

The voters, deeply unhappy with immigration, vote to remedy this by voting Leave to eject us from the EU.

The Prime Minister resigns - and May is rewarded by getting the top job herself.

Yep but as they used to say in the 80s - TINA.
  • Options
    eek said:

taffys said:

We could manage free movement.... We can't manage the changes to benefits that are required for us to manage free movement...
    Textbook example of using the EU to obfuscate the real issue in the UK. Benefits are in dire need of reform.

But we had to leave the EU to crystalise it. Perhaps that's a good thing, I don't think so.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

Yes...I thought it was all about sovereignty?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your first mis-step of the campaign.

"...FEWER will come."

Sheesh.

Sorry - I promise to make less mistakes in future. :-)

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

A plea

Thanks !

My thread headers on the subject will be impeccably neutral.

Below the line, I want Boris to win.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Chancellor George Osborne says he will not seek to replace Prime Minister David Cameron when he stands down later this year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36647948
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, my view exactly (on the presidency).

Conservative leader: they could do with a man like Aurelian, albeit someone who hasn't been dead for the best part of two thousand years.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

A plea

Thanks !

I'm going to a do on Friday which should be a good opportunity to gauge the mood. I think we're probably fairly typical of a classic Shire seat in the SE. I'll report back.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Then we will have Prexit - the exit of the Progress faction from the Party.

Yep, I imagine that will be the case. And a new official opposition, of course. Then, thanks to FPTP, both parties will be wiped out at the general election.

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PClipp said:

PlatoSaid said:

Not all those who voted Leave would have backed Cameron, Ms Plato. I was in two minds, until the very end.

If Cameron and Osborne had been on the Leave side, with their dirty tricks, threats and bullying, I would have found it very easy to go for Remain, who would presumably have had a much more respectful campaign.
    I think Cameron wouldn't have resorted to threats and bullying if he'd been truer to his previous campaigning style of offering hope and future pride in Britain. That got him into Number 10 twice.

It was because he'd accepted such a poor deal that he resorted to Project Fear. TBH, I think that's why so many of his previous supporters [like me] were so appalled by it.
    My high point in my respect for Cameron was his last conference speech. I thought he laid out a proper heart-felt One Nation programme to help those in our society most needing help.

And now he can't implement that programme. Folly.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    TOPPING said:

Cameron announced the referendum, went to negotiate a deal, and got one (a good one).
    Perhaps the EU is unreformable but his deal cemented our special status within, or perhaps call it alongside it.
    Even if you think the deal is useless, do I think that Dave should have done anything differently? Not really. Why should he have played the cute games that the EU might have been playing? He went to negotiate a deal, negotiated a deal and we voted on it. If people say "well you should have played hardball, delayed, threatened, etc" well that is no way to conduct diplomacy.
    As we now see, compared with what we are about to get, it was not only good, it was great.

If Cameron`s deal was as good as you claim, Mr Topping, why didn`t Cameron and Osborne campaign positively on his supposed triumph?

Could it have been that even they did not thnk it was a world-beater?
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

There are plenty of us who liked and indeed still like Blair, feel he did valuable things and made an honest mistake on Iraq

You really have to be fucking kidding?!

• Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672

She is also I believe, the ONLY tory minister who has actually RETURNED powers to the EU where we had an opt out.

She's dreadful.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Yes, the market can be unpredictable at times. What about those rose-sellers on the central reservation of dual carriageways...

I always thought that Tories favoured consumer interests over those of producers.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Pulpstar said:

A plea

Thanks !

I think you should upgrade your plea to a grovel. Tories like to see grovelling.

• Options

Mr. Llama, my view exactly (on the presidency).

Conservative leader: they could do with a man like Aurelian, albeit someone who hasn't been dead for the best part of two thousand years.

Labour would currently settle for somebody dead for the best part of two thousand years.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Right, so if you're running for Tory leader you promise continued market access and unspecified action on immigration. Then you join the EEA and accept free movement but stage and "win" a fight over benefits or something other immigration-related side issue. The economy improves from worse to bad, immigration is still low, job done.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736
    Which way was Crabb on Brexit? (I'm pretty sure that I remember Javid was Leave cos it was a surprise given how close he is to Osborne)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Lennon said:

Which way was Crabb on Brexit? (I'm pretty sure that I remember Javid was Leave cos it was a surprise given how close he is to Osborne)

Javid was remain...
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    When the big hand reaches 12 the bar opens.
This discussion has been closed.