Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Britain’s EU hokey-cokey: what would ‘in again’ look like a

Comments

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Carswell: I thought she was Remain already...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,007
    marke09 said:

Times front page has not been amended sticking with story

It's a total embarrasment anyway. Since when was Warsi a "leading Tory :D" ?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Lowlander said:

PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

perdix said:
    I found it lazy and thoughtless - the over-used trope of 'post-truth politics' is driving me mental at the moment.

Both major UK parties are to blame for failing to ensure that the impact of mass migration did not damage the working poor (or however you want to classify them).

They've had years to do so, and did not. Further (and this has continued right through the campaign), a large section of those who have prospered continue to just shriek 'racist' at every conceivable opportunity.

This is not post-truth politics. It's this-is-what-happens-when-you-ignore-half-your-voters politics.

In conclusion, I'd like to say: this is not rocket science, for fuck's sake.
    CLAPS
    Huh

. Migrants do the jobs that the indigenous Brits won't.
    The usual casual bigotry and racism.

Migrants do the jobs for lower pay and under worse conditions and in a more servile manner is what you should have said.
    Thats how you categorise it. Ask the farmers in Norfolk who cannot get brits to pull the crops..

Leave is full of lies, but so are Remain. The difference is that Leave are xenophobic in many of the things they say. Go and talk to some leavers on the street and all they say is that they want to stop immigration/ kick migrants out.. That's it.. its a one subject agenda.
    REMAIN are RACISTS because the present EU immigration rules favour predominantly white EU countries over predominantly non-white non-EU countries.

RACIST REMAINERS!
    Something occurred to me reading this.

Given how successful trump is with his adjective insult campaign, shouldn't Racist Remainers be the clarion call of the Leave campaign. It certainly seems to have traction. Little Marco, Lyin' Ted and Low Energy Jeb certainly seemed to work.
    It might have some traction except:

1) accusing someone of being racist is usually a sign of a lost argument

2) rather like the Little Englander jibe it is likely to backfire. Many Britons would prefer migrants to be of white Christian heritage.
    Poles, Romanians, Bulgarians are of white Christian heritage.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited June 2016
    marke09 said:

SKY News paper review _ weve had to take the front page of The Times off for the time being mmmm

Indeed, and not long ago he was offering a completely different opinion. The Uk can of course prosper outside the EU or words to that effect. Indeed go back a little further and he was saying that if he didn't get a good enough deal he might even lead the Leave campaign.

Now was he lying to us then or now?

Eited extra bit: Sorry My comment was not made in response to Marke09, but to another post which seems to have gone.
  • Options
    Bernard Jenkin: Warsi has not attended a single meeting for Brexit...
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Pulpstar said:

marke09 said:

Times front page has not been amended sticking with story

It's a total embarrasment anyway. Since when was Warsi a "leading Tory :D" ?
    We don't even know she was on the leave side ;-)
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Daniel Hannan ‏@DanHannanMEP 2m2 minutes ago

When I invited Sayeeda Warsi to join the Leave campaign, she declined. Fair enough, obviously. But how is this a "defection"?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375
    GIN1138 said:

Chameleon said:

GIN1138 said:

The 'Breaking Point' poster was the "breaking point".

Which PBer was it who claimed Farage was a deep sleeper agent for Remain?

Farage isn't a sleeper agent for REMAIN. Farage is in it for Farage...
    Corbyn's a sleeper for leave,have you seen the telegraph and sun.
    Given his history...
    Jezza will vote LEAVE in the privacy of the polling booth I'm convinced of it.
    You shouldn't be. I've talked to him about it more than once. He means exactly what he says.
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Alex Wickham ‏@WikiGuido 2m2 minutes ago

Curiously, 'defector' Sayeeda Warsi does not appear to have been part of the 'Muslims for Britain' pro-Leave group

Was it mandatory for all Muslims to be part of it ? Is that how the Leave campaign works ? Herd them into one group !
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672

RodCrosby said:

John_M said:

Scott_P said:
    That's very classy of Victor. Respect.
    Good man.
    Not entirely sure who this helps or why.
    Vapid Bilge will be proud.
  • Options
    caught the back end of a tweet on SKY News saying she had set up a Leave group but never attended one meeting
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

perdix said:
    I found it lazy and thoughtless - the over-used trope of 'post-truth politics' is driving me mental at the moment.

Both major UK parties are to blame for failing to ensure that the impact of mass migration did not damage the working poor (or however you want to classify them).

They've had years to do so, and did not. Further (and this has continued right through the campaign), a large section of those who have prospered continue to just shriek 'racist' at every conceivable opportunity.

This is not post-truth politics. It's this-is-what-happens-when-you-ignore-half-your-voters politics.

CLAPS
    Huh

Migrants do the jobs for lower pay and under worse conditions and in a more servile manner is what you should have said.
    Thats how you categorise it. Ask the farmers in Norfolk who cannot get brits to pull the crops..

Leave is full of lies, but so are Remain. The difference is that Leave are xenophobic in many of the things they say. Go and talk to some leavers on the street and all they say is that they want to stop immigration/ kick migrants out.. That's it.. its a one subject agenda.
    So who did the Norfolk farmers get to pull the crops ten or twenty years ago ?

I suppose the Norfolk working class would now be classified as wicked layabouts for wanting enough wages to pay the rent on a proper house instead of living a dozen to a wooden hut.

It's a fair point. But what it also means is higher prices, or more imports and no jobs.

Sounds like we also need stronger trade unions.

Or it could mean higher labour costs leading to more innovation and investment (what happened in the industrial revolution) and therefore cheaper food and higher productivity.

And so fewer jobs.

Which are currently being done by migrant labour, so if they went home... it would mean better paid jobs for those remaining, them spending more money creating more jobs.

Sorry, did you want to go back to the pre industrial age?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,470
    surbiton said:

Lowlander said:

PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

perdix said:

CLAPS
    Huh

REMAIN are RACISTS because the present EU immigration rules favour predominantly white EU countries over predominantly non-white non-EU countries.

RACIST REMAINERS!
    Something occurred to me reading this.

Given how successful trump is with his adjective insult campaign, shouldn't Racist Remainers be the clarion call of the Leave campaign. It certainly seems to have traction. Little Marco, Lyin' Ted and Low Energy Jeb certainly seemed to work.
    It might have some traction except:

1) accusing someone of being racist is usually a sign of a lost argument

2) rather like the Little Englander jibe it is likely to backfire. Many Britons would prefer migrants to be of white Christian heritage.
    Poles, Romanians, Bulgarians are of white Christian heritage.
    RACIST REMAINERS :lol:
  • Options
    Is the Leave campaign panicking tonight ?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,007
    surbiton said:

No.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,470

marke09 said:

SKY News paper review _ weve had to take the front page of The Times off for the time being mmmm

Indeed, and not long ago he was offering a completely different opinion. The Uk can of course prosper outside the EU or words to that effect. Indeed go back a little further and he was saying that if he didn't get a good enough deal he might even lead the Leave campaign.

Now was he lying to us then or now?

Eited extra bit: Sorry My comment was not made in response to Marke09, but to another post which seems to have gone.
    https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/738046783465652224
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    midwinter said:

Not exactly the same as overtly threatening gangs of migrants raping British women is it? He's offering an opinion
    No he is saying we are more likely to be blown up by Islamic terrorists. The hypocrisy is real.
  • Options
    AnnaAnna Posts: 59
    surbiton said:

In turmoil apparently... Having lost a driving force of the campaign like Warsi...
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    It isn't. It's Dirty Tricks 101.

And won't be forgotten.
  • Options
    roserees64roserees64 Posts: 251
    To paraphrase David Cameron, ' Of course Britain could survive outside the EU but could it thrive? ' VOTE REMAIN.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/744649423418953728

Sayeeda WarsiVerified account
    @SayeedaWarsi
    For those of us committed to @vote_leave this unholy alliance between small minded little islanders & optimistic hello worlders is a strain

• Options
    Roger said:

nunu said:

Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: No longer a debate about whether Brexit has becomea racist campaign. Only question is how wide and deep the racism goes.

People who call me my mum and brother racist really need to fuck off.
    LOL!
    What's funny apart from IN trying to smear about half the country with the same broad brush?
  • Options
    Anna said:

surbiton said:

In turmoil apparently... Having lost a driving force of the campaign like Warsi...
    Warsi will not change even one vote. Apparently, not even her own. Johnson's "amnesty" will not be music to the ears of many vile racists who support the Leave campaign.
  • Options
    ViceroyViceroy Posts: 128

GIN1138 said:

Chameleon said:

GIN1138 said:

Given his history...
    You shouldn't be. I've talked to him about it more than once. He means exactly what he says.
    So he didn't mean what he said for 40 years?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,432
    Scott_P said:
    Hungary, as a non-Euro member, has a strong interest in the UK remaining in at the head of the non-Euro countries (as well as secondary reasons).
  • Options
    midwinter said:

nunu said:

Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: No longer a debate about whether Brexit has becomea racist campaign. Only question is how wide and deep the racism goes.

People who call me my mum and brother racist really need to fuck off.
    Top debating
    Yeah because lazily calling everyone who is in the Brexit camp racist is a really strong argument.
  • Options
    Viceroy said:

GIN1138 said:

Chameleon said:

GIN1138 said:

Given his history...
    Many things have changed in 40 years. The Tories supported being IN then. Margaret Thatcher was for Europe.

Anyway, it was before Delors at the TUC conference. That changed everything.
  • Options
    Just seen a replay of the Cameron QT. Worst performance I have ever seen from him.The wheels have come off ,he is worn out and I cannot see him as PM much longer even if Remain wins.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Hungary, as a non-Euro member, has a strong interest in the UK remaining in at the head of the non-Euro countries (as well as secondary reasons).
    He also clearly likes a laugh.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187

Jobabob said:

Trump is now polling worse than any GOP nominee at this stage in recent decades

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/06/19/the-brutal-numbers-behind-a-very-bad-month-for-donald-trump/

He may yet not be the nominee.
    He is comfortably over the delegates required and has around 1000 more delegates than Cruz, of course he will be the nominee
  • Options
    Thoughts on Warsi.

1. She's after a ministerial job back and hasn't clocked that she'd just jumped the wrong way.

or

2. She's genuinely shifted position on the basis of a triviality. As a politician, whether you're Leave or Remain, you shouldn't be deciding because of how some on one side or the other have behaved. The decision is bigger than that.

Hardly impressive but then hardly surprising.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Remain could have done without his endorsement.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,463

Just seen a replay of the Cameron QT. Worst performance I have ever seen from him.The wheels have come off ,he is worn out and I cannot see him as PM much longer even if Remain wins.

Not quite sure we've been watching the same TV station.
  • Options
    roserees64roserees64 Posts: 251
    The Brexit Campaign only managed a take off when the xenophobic card was played. It was a disgrace and reduced the debate to a sad 'them and us' wrangle.

We all have to get on together after the Referendum but the tone of the campaign has made that very difficult.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902

Not quite sure we've been watching the same TV station.
    Everyone sees what they want to see.
  • Options
    Viceroy said:

GIN1138 said:

Chameleon said:

GIN1138 said:

Given his history...
    He thinks that remaining is best, rather than handing Britain to right-wing Tory rule without EU restraint. Doesn't mean he thinks the EU is great, unlike, say, me.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Viceroy said:

GIN1138 said:

Chameleon said:

GIN1138 said:

Given his history...
    Many things have changed in 40 years. The Tories supported being IN then. Margaret Thatcher was for Europe.

surbiton said:

Viceroy said:

GIN1138 said:

Chameleon said:

GIN1138 said:

Given his history...
    Margaret Thatcher was for Europe.

NO NO NO.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211

Thoughts on Warsi.

1. She's after a ministerial job back and hasn't clocked that she'd just jumped the wrong way.

or

2. She's genuinely shifted position on the basis of a triviality. As a politician, whether you're Leave or Remain, you shouldn't be deciding because of how some on one side or the other have behaved. The decision is bigger than that.

And the political class wonders why the punter in the street holds them in contempt.
  • Options
    ViceroyViceroy Posts: 128
    surbiton said:

Viceroy said:

GIN1138 said:

Chameleon said:

GIN1138 said:

Given his history...

Oh right so that must be why he voted against every single treaty since Delors.

Come off it. He'll be ticking the Leave box as sure as i'm sitting here.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Times HAVE changed their front page story now reads

Brexit Camp Divided as Senior Tory Walks Out
  • Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:
    He was honest, unvarnished , a first in this referenum.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:
    I doubt it will make any difference. Obama's intervention didn't (or was possibly mildly negative) and this is much more low key and much less threatening.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    edited June 2016
    marke09 said:

That's a lot less, erm completely untrue, now its only mostly untrue.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Thoughts on Warsi.

or

Perhaps she thought, if it worked for Dr Wollaston, why not for herself?
  • Options
    marke09 said:

LOL
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    marke09 said:

Demoted from "Leading" to "Senior"... how terrible..
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Viceroy said:

GIN1138 said:

Chameleon said:

GIN1138 said:

Given his history...
    He thinks that remaining is best, rather than handing Britain to right-wing Tory rule without EU restraint. Doesn't mean he thinks the EU is great, unlike, say, me.
    He's given up on winning the next election already?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,927
    surbiton said:

Viceroy said:

GIN1138 said:

Chameleon said:

GIN1138 said:

Given his history...

No, it wasn't that he supported LEAVE 40 years ago it was that he has supported LEAVE for 40 years up to 3pm last Monday, etc.

Despite what Dr Palmer says I just don't believe it and never will! ;)
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Thoughts on Warsi.

or

And the political class wonders why the punter in the street holds them in contempt.
    Yep.
  • Options
    Whats the betting the story will have gone by the second edition
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    The difference between the Daily Mail, and the Mail on Sunday, on this issue is really quite something.

I wonder if they'll start attacking each other in their editorials next.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    Won't it be good when this awful campaign is finished. Death by a hundred billion cuts.

I don't know why it has lasted so long. I mean how long can we debate one issue for?

The Euro footie- who the hell thought of this format where you play a millions games to eliminate one team? It is worse than the cricket one day world cup which lasts forever.

Poor old Lee Westwood- he has suffered from his usual last round melt down.

Well done Andy Murray- he is arguably the greatest British sportsman ever, but Federer at 18-1 on Betfair for Wimbledon looks good value. He is still the best grass court player in the world, though has lost some of match competitiveness.

Why are us men so easily excited by watching other men play with balls?

• Options
    Danny565 said:

The difference between the Daily Mail, and the Mail on Sunday, on this issue is really quite something.

I wonder if the mail on sunday is losing more of it's readership than the Daily mail.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited June 2016
    Evening all.

It seems very odd that normally level-headed Leave campaigners such as Dan Hannan and Douglas Carswell are so rattled by Baroness Warsi (who she? you might ask), whose influence is a small thin zero.

I think the reason must be that they are not rattled by Baroness Warsi, but by the possibility that her apparent change of heart is typical of many.

Has Leave over-played its immigration card? Probably yes.

PS I'm delighted to see JackW has reported in. I hope he makes a speedy and complete recovery.
  • Options
    Is anyone watching the US Open? I know Sky aren't in control of the coverage, but it has been awful this week. Fox Sports have taken over as the host broadcaster and it has been a complete shower. Shots shown out of sequence and more commercial breaks than ever.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Viceroy said:

GIN1138 said:

Chameleon said:

GIN1138 said:

Given his history...
    I've actually heard that kind of sentiment quite a bit from some Labour supporters. "I hate the EU and I'd vote Out if a Labour government was in, but I don't trust the Tories to negotiate an exit"
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

If you ride two horses, your arse gets split ! That is what is happening to the Mail stable.
  • Options

Although the Leave campaign only took off when they started playing the immigration card.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Danny565 said:

Although the Leave campaign only took off when they started playing the immigration card.
    Agreed. But it needed to be played with sensitivity.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Thoughts on Warsi.

or

The problem is that the punter tends to believe that they all behave like that. Given the dire nature of the campaign, there's really no publicly-acceptable reason for any politician to switch sides now.
  • Options

Evening all.

It seems very odd that normally level-headed Leave campaigners such as Dan Hannan and Douglas Carswell are so rattled by Baroness Warsi (who she? you might ask), whose influence is a small thin zero.

I think the reason must be that they are not rattled by Baroness Warsi, but by the possibility that her apparent change of heart is typical of many.

PS I'm delighted to see JackW has reported in. I hope he makes a speedy and complete recovery.

Seems Leave camp are "divided" now, rather than in "turmoil".
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

surbiton said:

Viceroy said:

GIN1138 said:

Chameleon said:

GIN1138 said:

Given his history...

No, it wasn't that he supported LEAVE 40 years ago it was that he has supported LEAVE for 40 years up to 3pm last Monday, etc.

Despite what Dr Palmer says I just don't believe it and never will! ;)
    Bullshit. He spoke in favour of IN before that. It may not have been 100% in favour but on balance he supported staying IN. That is his position even today. In fact, it is his position that is an honest one.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Danny565 said:

Viceroy said:

GIN1138 said:

Chameleon said:

GIN1138 said:

Given his history...
    I've actually heard that kind of sentiment quite a bit from some Labour supporters. "I hate the EU and I'd vote Out if a Labour government was in, but I don't trust the Tories to negotiate an exit"
    Now that does make sense. Trouble is, if Labour were in power, we wouldn't be having a referendum at all.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Viceroy said:

surbiton said:

Viceroy said:

GIN1138 said:

Chameleon said:

GIN1138 said:

Given his history...

I am no fan of Jezza, but one thing that we can be sure of is that it is not easy to change his opinion by peer pressure. Would that it were!

I think that he is genuine in coming out for Remain.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Is anyone watching the US Open? I know Sky aren't in control of the coverage, but it has been awful this week. Fox Sports have taken over as the host broadcaster and it has been a complete shower. Shots shown out of sequence and more commercial breaks than ever.

I have- I feel like a trader at the minute. I am surrounded by about 4 screens.
    Poor old Lee Westwood. Dustin Johnson- I usually back him, but have been distracted by the Brexit shenanigans and Euro stuff. Still...whether Dustin can get across the line remains to be seen.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Won't it be good when this awful campaign is finished. Death by a hundred billion cuts.

I don't know why it has lasted so long. I mean how long can we debate one issue for?

The Euro footie- who the hell thought of this format where you play a millions games to eliminate one team? It is worse than the cricket one day world cup which lasts forever.

Poor old Lee Westwood- he has suffered from his usual last round melt down.

Well done Andy Murray- he is arguably the greatest British sportsman ever, but Federer at 18-1 on Betfair for Wimbledon looks good value. He is still the best grass court player in the world, though has lost some of match competitiveness.

Why are us men so easily excited by watching other men play with balls?

Murray? Greatest British sportsman ever? Seriously? Two majors and a top world ranking of 2? He's one of the best of his generation but that's it.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,052
    Economists have predicted nine of the last five recessions and sceptics have predicted X of the last 0 ends of the EU. The EU will cease to exist one day, but so will the UK and even the English language.
    REMAIN is not talking about hypothetical scenarios because it is a pro-status quo campaign seeking the comfortable and fearful no-change vote, and also because it is being run by non-amateur politicians who don't want to fight clever but rather want to fight to win.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Danny565 said:

If you ride two horses, your arse gets split ! That is what is happening to the Mail stable.
    Same with the Times and the Sunday Times
  • Options
    tyson said:

tlg86 said:

Poor old Lee Westwood. Dustin Johnson- I usually back him, but have been distracted by the Brexit shenanigans and Euro stuff. Still...whether Dustin can get across the line remains to be seen.
    Careful, sounds like Dustin may have a one shot penalty coming for that moment earlier in the round when the ball oscillated - did he ground the putter?

I'm rooting for Sergio now Lee's out of it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

Danny565 said:

David Smith of ST has been relentless in his criticism of Brexit, pointing out the poor economic consequences.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tyson said:

tlg86 said:

Careful, sounds like Dustin may have a one shot penalty coming for that moment earlier in the round when the ball oscillated - did he ground the putter?

Come on Sergio.......
    I thought he grounded the putter.

• Options
    AnneJGP said:

Danny565 said:

Viceroy said:

GIN1138 said:

Chameleon said:

GIN1138 said:

Given his history...
    Now that does make sense. Trouble is, if Labour were in power, we wouldn't be having a referendum at all.
    Well, q
  • Options
    edited June 2016

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

Danny565 said:

David Smith of ST has been relentless in his criticism of Brexit, pointing out the poor economic consequences.
    Though Dominic Lawson has been very anti EU in the comment pages
  • Options

Cameron was actually quite good.
  • Options
    What do Leavers think of Johnson's amnesty ?
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    edited June 2016
    Jeeez, I thought the consolation prize of remain would be a Labour lunatic government with 97.5% tax on the labour voting remaining middle class - but mass immigration loving Labour is going to be destroyed at the next election. And even if Labour change the leader there are now so many quotes to be thrown at them I can't see any way back.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Agreed. I think undecideds will have found him pretty convincing. And that's all that matters in last three days.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

Danny565 said:

Viceroy said:

GIN1138 said:

Chameleon said:

GIN1138 said:

Given his history...
    Well, q
    Well q

God forbid the plebs have a say in their future Urrrggghhh
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Danny565 said:

Viceroy said:

GIN1138 said:

Chameleon said:

GIN1138 said:

Given his history...
    But they also need to know, while the EU may hold back a Conservative government, it will also hold back a labour government. The way the single market operates and the obsession (rightly so) of the European Commission to open up competition in areas which have had traditional monopolies means things like renationalisation of the railways almost impossible. It wont even be as simple as taking into public ownership as franchises are renewed. Every tender will have to be open to europe wide competition, and any government backed tender has to be presented as an autonomous self funding entity.

There will be no role back of the economic model to a pre thatcher era while remaining in the EU.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

What do Leavers think of Johnson's amnesty ?

Brilliant idea. Have you thought of applying?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tyson said:

tlg86 said:

I'm off to bed now, and as usual will listen to the Radio 5 last day coverage which is quite superb, and no ads.

Come on Sergio... a last battle cry.

• Options
    AnneJGP said:

Well, quite. And if you believe the warnings that Cameron and Osborne have been issuing (and to some extent I do), isn't it totally irresponsible that they've given a roughly 50% shot at what they see as a catastrophe for Britain? It's fair enough to have a referendum if you can see that there are two reasonsable choices and it's up to the electorate to pick the one they want, but if they really do think that one option is a disaster, should it be dangled in front of the electorate?

I don't think that they really thought it'd be hard to win, so they just offered it as an election sweetener for UKIP-leaning voters.
  • Options
    PAW said:

Jeeez, I thought the consolation prize of remain would be a Labour lunatic government with 97.5% tax on the labour voting remaining middle class - but mass immigration loving Labour is going to be destroyed at the next election. And even if Labour change the leader there are now so many quotes to be thrown at them I can't see any way back.

The Tories could be down even more to UKIP though I would agree I can't see Labour winning in 2020
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,927
    Watching Cam on iplayer...
  • Options

Viceroy said:

surbiton said:

Viceroy said:

GIN1138 said:

Chameleon said:

GIN1138 said:

Given his history...

I am no fan of Jezza, but one thing that we can be sure of is that it is not easy to change his opinion by peer pressure. Would that it were!

I think that he is genuine in coming out for Remain.
    Lets just imagine if he wasn't leader of a big majority of pro remain labour party of MP's with many of them looking for a excuse to get rid of him.

Leave or sitting on the fence ?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    edited June 2016
    Scott_P said:
    That's nice of him. Genuinely. Although isn't he a dodgy sort?

I must admit I'm at something of a crossroads. Oh, I'm still going to vote leave, it would hypocritical not to as the fundamental issue is I don't like the eu as it exists and as it will develop, and I simply don't believe it is capable of real change for one because there will never, never be the will to do so. But on top of the economic shocks I already thought would come, I'm even more pessimistic about our immediate prospects. Eu leaders will face pressure to not give us an inch, the government will be a fractured incompetent mess no matter what, and bile levels in society and PB will exceed sindyref levels. Remain winning woukd not even improve matters either. The whole political scene, it Just depresses me at this moment. It's going to be a rough few years.

Good night.
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944
    Apparently Major Tim thinks that leave is good:
    https://twitter.com/SuzanneEvans1/status/744660332510068736
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Totally floundered on immigration and plain shifty on Turkey which everyone in the audience saw .We are being conned big time on the deal with Turkey as we will find out soon after Thursday.
  • Options
    RobD said:

marke09 said:

Demoted from "Leading" to "Senior"... how terrible..
    Can't see much difference between the headlines, honestly.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

Well, quite. And if you believe the warnings that Cameron and Osborne have been issuing (and to some extent I do), isn't it totally irresponsible that they've given a roughly 50% shot at what they see as a catastrophe for Britain? It's fair enough to have a referendum if you can see that there are two reasonsable choices and it's up to the electorate to pick the one they want, but if they really do think that one option is a disaster, should it be dangled in front of the electorate?

I don't think that they really thought it'd be hard to win, so they just offered it as an election sweetener for UKIP-leaning voters.
    I think you are right Nick, that they really had no idea it would be this hard. I do wonder why, because I could have told them that several years ago (as no doubt could most PBers).

The usual argument is they threw it into the mix assuming there would be another Lib-Con coalition and therefore no chance of a referendum.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    HYUFD - but the Tories will look sceptic enough once Cameron has gone...
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,052
    edited June 2016
    The referendum has been really awful for English politics, hasn't it? Imagine if there were one each time a new EU treaty were to be ratified, as desired by some in both REMAIN and LEAVE.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

surbiton said:

Totally floundered on immigration and plain shifty on Turkey which everyone in the audience saw .We are being conned big time on the deal with Turkey as we will find out soon after Thursday.
    Visa free access to the EU from Turkey is not far away, visitors within the next thirty days and workers within the next two years. It's only Turkey's reluctance to reform some of its own laws that is holding this back.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    The posts of so many leavers this evening have been truly unpleasant - first the mauling of deceased MP Jo Cox because she took her children on the Thames the other day - that was so nasty it was hard to believe - and even now the bitterness about Baroness Warsi - who cares?
    She had a view and has changed her mind - get over it. The site at times could easily be taken for some extremist right-wing blog at times. win or lose the Tory party are going to be in deep doo doo next week if the people on here are anything like representative of the membership.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,164

Apparently Major Tim thinks that leave is good

He had good training and preparation while in Russia I presume...
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Danny565 said:

I wonder if the mail on sunday is losing more of it's readership than the Daily mail.
    According to Private Eye there is bad blood between the editors of the DM and MoS. One of them is Dacre's favourite.

• Options
    PAW said:

If Remain win, even if narrowly Cameron will hang around for a while yet and will probably be replaced by a Remainer like May or Hammond not a Leaver
  • Options
    felix said:

win or lose the Tory party are going to be in deep doo doo next week if the people on here are anything like representative of the membership.

They are not.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    PAW said:

Depends who replaces him - but it's not looking good.
This discussion has been closed.