Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Britain’s EU hokey-cokey: what would ‘in again’ look like a

Comments

• Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

GIN1138 said:
    Hear hear.

I also noticed the are you for in or out quiz came out 70/30 leave when I voted.

I know it is Voodoo with a capital V but wasnt expecting that at the Mirror.
    Doubly so, as at least one tit of a leaver (me) voted remain on that one after I had read it.

Oops.. I'll try not to do that on the 23rd.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Out of interest, why is Sayeeda Warsi even a peer? What has she done to deserve it?

She lost an election. Which seems to be standard, tbh.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Trump is now polling worse than any GOP nominee at this stage in recent decades

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/06/19/the-brutal-numbers-behind-a-very-bad-month-for-donald-trump/
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

Scott_P said:
    Kind of a stupid quote. Those are the three options out there and always have been. I can't actually think of any other possible model than those.
    Which of the "only 3 possible models" have vote Leave come out in favour of? Or if they haven't (because we don't get to make that choice), presumably they've spelt out in detail what each of these models means for the UK going forward? Can't be that difficult, there's only 3 to cover.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    nunu said:

She lost an election. Which seems to be standard, tbh.

Farage nailed on then...
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,030
    notme said:

Scott_P said:
    Kind of a stupid quote. Those are the three options out there and always have been. I can't actually think of any other possible model than those.
    Switzerland does not fit into any of those three models.
    Yes it does,. It negotiates a whole series of bilateral free trade agreements.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,145
    GIN1138 said:

Out of interest, why is Sayeeda Warsi even a peer? What has she done to deserve it?

She stood for election in 2005, was rejected by the electorate so finished up in the Lords...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayeeda_Warsi,_Baroness_Warsi#Political_career

Same old, same old.
    Warsi of the infamous election leaflets:

' “Labour has scrapped Section 28, which was introduced by the Conservatives to stop schools promoting alternative sexual lifestyles such as homosexuality to children as young as seven years old.

“Labour reduced the age of consent for homosexuality from 18 to 16, allowing schoolchildren to be propositioned for homosexual relationships.”

In 2005 these leaflets were aimed at the Muslim voters in the constituency.

Other campaign literature, targeted at white areas, had a strong anti-immigration theme. '

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2007/07/11/homophobic-leaflet-used-again-by-tory-candidate/
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Blueberry said:

PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

perdix said:
    I found it lazy and thoughtless - the over-used trope of 'post-truth politics' is driving me mental at the moment.

Both major UK parties are to blame for failing to ensure that the impact of mass migration did not damage the working poor (or however you want to classify them).

They've had years to do so, and did not. Further (and this has continued right through the campaign), a large section of those who have prospered continue to just shriek 'racist' at every conceivable opportunity.

This is not post-truth politics. It's this-is-what-happens-when-you-ignore-half-your-voters politics.

In conclusion, I'd like to say: this is not rocket science, for fuck's sake.
    CLAPS
    Huh

. Migrants do the jobs that the indigenous Brits won't.
    The usual casual bigotry and racism.

Migrants do the jobs for lower pay and under worse conditions and in a more servile manner is what you should have said.
    Thats how you categorise it. Ask the farmers in Norfolk who cannot get brits to pull the crops..

Leave is full of lies, but so are Remain. The difference is that Leave are xenophobic in many of the things they say. Go and talk to some leavers on the street and all they say is that they want to stop immigration/ kick migrants out.. That's it.. its a one subject agenda.
    So who did the Norfolk farmers get to pull the crops ten or twenty years ago ?

I suppose the Norfolk working class would now be classified as wicked layabouts for wanting enough wages to pay the rent on a proper house instead of living a dozen to a wooden hut.
    Yes, I've done all those crap jobs - cleaning, food processing, warehouses, licking envelopes etc - ba
    Indeed.

There was also in the 1980s and 1990s far greater potential for economic mobility and for the young and/or low paid to buy a house.

And much stronger trade unions. Time to go back?

Lets remove the obligation to ballot workers?

Show of hands lads!
    That's it we're going on strike.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited June 2016
    TudorRose said:

Goupillon said:

MaxPB said:

Goupillon said:

Lets get the nett cost of being in the EU (£140m per week) into perspective - this cost is about £2 a week for the each of the approx 70 million of us living in the UK. I do not buy the Sun, Express or Daily Mail but I am told the cost per week for taking any of these "admirable organs" is considerably more than this. So why are some people so upset about the amount of money we are currently paying to the EU? I wonder how many new hospitals could be built with the amount of money that people could save if they stopped buying these newspapers?

Let's actually do the real maths. The net contribution plus tariffs is about £190m per week, we have 32m people in work in the country. That's £5.93 per week or £300 per year. Which equates to 2p on the basic rate of tax for someone earning the national average wage.

If the government decided to pay up our EU membership rather than borrow the money we would have to add a minimum of 2p on income tax, but really more like 4p and then have the EU give most of it away to farmers to keep their land empty.
    OK but if the BBC's figures are correct you're figures are wrong too: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35943216
    My point is valid whichever basis is used for the calculation. The current cost of the UK's membership of the EU is actually very good value from purely an economic viewpoint.
    Leaving the EU will obviously be disastrous for the UK economy along with all the ensuing consequences.
    It won't 'obviously be disastrous' - even the Treasury forecast shows GDP growth by 2018 if there's Brexit (Table 2c, p46).
    The IMF are saying growth over the next three years of 1.9, -0.8 and 1.1. I think 'disastrous' might be pitching it a tad high.

The consensus over the long haul (and I don't believe any model that goes out longer than five years, so take this with a massive grain of salt) is that by 2030, we'll have forgone around 6-8% of GDP growth, so essentially growth will be around 0.6-0.8% p.a. lower than otherwise. To be clear it's not implying economic shrinkage; it's a choice between being rich and richer.

To repeat though; we failed to forecast the ERM, Euro, .com bubble, CDS crash etc. DYR.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

@SamCoatesTimes: Times Exclusive - Sayeeda Warsi defection. From leave to remain. Our p1 by @elliotttimes

@SamCoatesTimes: Lady Warsi to The Times: “Are we prepared to tell lies, to spread hate and xenophobia just to win a campaign? For me that’s a step too far.”

The Baroness is for turning! :smiley:
    Playbook chapter 2

[Drumroll] "Unveil the sleepers and double-agents!"

yawn...
    You would think they would at least try and make sure people knew they were on the Leave side before they defected though.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    Pulpstar said:

'The tribute was also a call to vote remain'. (Pienaar on Dave)

Not sure how well that is going to go down.

Isn't this good news for Leave? This links the memorial explicitly into the referendum, so surely that means that it can't be reported on on Thursday?
  • Options

It's good to see so many on here now convinced of the importance of high wages and good working conditions for UK workers. Time to revisit anti-union legislation?

Name and explain a specific trade union legislation that you are thinking of please.Apart from the most recent ones I'll admit they were unnecessary.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978
    notme said:

John_M said:

It's good to see so many on here now convinced of the importance of high wages and good working conditions for UK workers. Time to revisit anti-union legislation?

Stop trolling SO :). More seriously, do you think it would help? My knowledge of trades union legislation is shocking.

One of the reasons people end up in low pay, poor condition jobs is that unions have been emasculated in this country.

Which Trade Union law would you remove?

The one passed this year, for a start.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,463

I see the bbc news doing the spirit of churchill bit from Cameron's QT appearance.

As is Telegraph, so what's your underlying point? I thought Cameron was excellent tonight. Given this old Remainer a slender bit of hope.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

perdix said:
    I found it lazy and thoughtless - the over-used trope of 'post-truth politics' is driving me mental at the moment.

Both major UK parties are to blame for failing to ensure that the impact of mass migration did not damage the working poor (or however you want to classify them).

They've had years to do so, and did not. Further (and this has continued right through the campaign), a large section of those who have prospered continue to just shriek 'racist' at every conceivable opportunity.

This is not post-truth politics. It's this-is-what-happens-when-you-ignore-half-your-voters politics.

CLAPS
    Huh

Migrants do the jobs for lower pay and under worse conditions and in a more servile manner is what you should have said.
    Thats how you categorise it. Ask the farmers in Norfolk who cannot get brits to pull the crops..

Leave is full of lies, but so are Remain. The difference is that Leave are xenophobic in many of the things they say. Go and talk to some leavers on the street and all they say is that they want to stop immigration/ kick migrants out.. That's it.. its a one subject agenda.

I suppose the Norfolk working class would now be classified as wicked layabouts for wanting enough wages to pay the rent on a proper house instead of living a dozen to a wooden hut.

It's a fair point. But what it also means is higher prices, or more imports and no jobs.

Sounds like we also need stronger trade unions.

Or it could mean higher labour costs leading to more innovation and investment (what happened in the industrial revolution) and therefore cheaper food and higher productivity.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Scott_P said:
    Which of the "only 3 possible models" have vote Leave come out in favour of? Or if they haven't (because we don't get to make that choice), presumably they've spelt out in detail what each of these models means for the UK going forward? Can't be that difficult, there's only 3 to cover.
    Yes. They have said they will negotiate a free trade agreement.

Personally I was always opposed to this as I favour the Norway option but they have been clear enough in what course they would take whether I like it or not.
  • Options

I see the bbc news doing the spirit of churchill bit from Cameron's QT appearance.

As is Telegraph, so what's your underlying point? I thought Cameron was excellent tonight. Given this old Remainer a slender bit of hope.
    You should have plenty of hope :P. I can't really see how on earth Leave will win.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Scott_P said:
    With respect alex, that's impossible to answer. It's not us laying down terms to the EU. If you read the NYT article I linked earlier, some options may not even be on the table.

I would be the first to cry 'foul' if Vote Leave were saying what we'd get out of article 50 negotiations.
  • Options

notme said:

Scott_P said:
    It negotiates a whole series of bilateral agreements, but they go way way way beyond free trade. Switzerland is as possibly close to being a member of the EU without actually joining.

From Wiki:

Free movement of people
    Air traffic
    Road traffic
    Agriculture
    Technical trade barriers
    Public procurement
    Science

Security and asylum and Schengen membership
    Cooperation in fraud pursuits
    Final stipulations in open questions about agriculture, environment, media, education, care of the elderly, statistics and services.

I'm not sure we have the bargaining power necessary to emulate Switzerland's position. Switzerland genuinely have their cake and eat it.
  • Options
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

@SamCoatesTimes: Times Exclusive - Sayeeda Warsi defection. From leave to remain. Our p1 by @elliotttimes

@SamCoatesTimes: Lady Warsi to The Times: “Are we prepared to tell lies, to spread hate and xenophobia just to win a campaign? For me that’s a step too far.”

The Baroness is for turning! :smiley:
    Playbook chapter 2

[Drumroll] "Unveil the sleepers and double-agents!"

yawn...
    You would think they would at least try and make sure people knew they were on the Leave side before they defected though.
    lol at The Times front page. What are they on about? I didn't even know Warsi had gone to the Lords, I thought she was off quangoing.
  • Options

Blueberry said:

Huh

Yes, I've done all those crap jobs - cleaning, food processing, warehouses, licking envelopes etc - back in the 80s/90s. All my workmates then were Englishspeak pigeon English. Or more likely, who all speak eg Portuguese, or Slavic, or whatever, and therefore could talk to each other in their mother tongue. I think it's unfair to malign Brits who don't want those working conditions.
    Indeed.

There was also in the 1980s and 1990s far greater potential for economic mobility and for the young and/or low paid to buy a house.

And much stronger trade unions. Time to go back?

Which trade unions though - the ones of yesteryear weren't supporters of unlimited immigration as they knew it would have a detrimental effect on their members. The trade unions of today think differently.

As to the balance of capital and labour the problem is both sides are being robbed by the parasitical executive class.
  • Options
  • Options
    The 'Breaking Point' poster was the "breaking point".

Which PBer was it who claimed Farage was a deep sleeper agent for Remain?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018

Pathetic front page.

twitter.com/suttonnick/status/744639690326802432

If someone is described as "Leading Tory", then you know for sure they are anything but.
  • Options
    If Warsi is a leading Tory then the party is very fucked.
  • Options
    Warsi is trying to get her career back.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I like the juxtaposition of "worried bankers, working through the night".

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    I like that advert. Probably will also bump a few voters towards Remain.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/johnestevens/status/744641814926360576

Support from one of the most right wing governments in Europe.. that'll cheer up the Remainers ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2016

notme said:

John_M said:

Stop trolling SO :). More seriously, do you think it would help? My knowledge of trades union legislation is shocking.

One of the reasons people end up in low pay, poor condition jobs is that unions have been emasculated in this country.

Which Trade Union law would you remove?

The one passed this year, for a start.

So you only objected to trade union legislation for the last 47 days? You talk about the eighties and going back to that. So please enlighten us to this egregious anti trade union legislation that was passed.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

Didn't the UK stay well clear of Vietnam when things kicked off in 1963?

That Harold Wilson chap as PM kept us out. He also knew how to handle a referendum on Europe.
    Shame IDS has neither talent.
  • Options

We know he ain't a PB plant as the poster would have said "Tipping Point"

I'll get my coat.....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    That's very classy of Victor. Respect.
  • Options
    @DPJHodges: No longer a debate about whether Brexit has become a racist campaign. Only question is how wide and deep the racism goes.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

perdix said:

CLAPS
    Huh

It's a fair point. But what it also means is higher prices, or more imports and no jobs.

Or it could mean higher labour costs leading to more innovation and investment (what happened in the industrial revolution) and therefore cheaper food and higher productivity.

And so fewer jobs.

• Options

Any more reports from the Notts campaign ?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,927

Farage isn't a sleeper agent for REMAIN. Farage is in it for Farage...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: No longer a debate about whether Brexit has become a racist campaign. Only question is how wide and deep the racism goes.

"Xenophobic" Dan, get with the times. All the cool kids are using it.
  • Options
    notme said:

notme said:

Scott_P said:
    It negotiates a whole series of bilateral agreements, but they go way way way beyond free trade. Switzerland is as possibly close to being a member of the EU without actually joining.

From Wiki:

Free movement of people
    Air traffic
    Road traffic
    Agriculture
    Technical trade barriers
    Public procurement
    Science

Security and asylum and Schengen membership
    Cooperation in fraud pursuits
    Final stipulations in open questions about agriculture, environment, media, education, care of the elderly, statistics and services.

I'm not sure we have the bargaining power necessary to emulate Switzerland's position. Switzerland genuinely have their cake and eat it.
    That is Switzerland's choice. Of course we would not want many of those agreements so it is not a problem for us.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,394
    Scott_P said:

It's *deeply* offensive to class Brexit - and therefore those of us voting to Leave - as "racist". Go funk yourself Hodges
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,907
    edited June 2016

El_Dave said:

Corbyn's gift to leave makes the front page of the DT.

Louise Mensch says the Remain campaign have put a copyright infringement claim on the Corbyn/marr interview video.

Sounds like a lie to me. Remain do not own the copyright.

Talking of lies.......Camerons best line of the evening "I'm sure there are arguments for LEAVING but it would be a tragedy if the UK voted on three things that are COMPLETELY untrue. Turkey are NOT joining the EU. The UK are NOT joining a EU army and we do NOT pay £350 million to the EU each week"

Expect to hear it repeated more than once!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: No longer a debate about whether Brexit has becomea racist campaign. Only question is how wide and deep the racism goes.

People who call me my mum and brother racist really need to fuck off.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/06/19/the-brutal-numbers-behind-a-very-bad-month-for-donald-trump/

He may yet not be the nominee.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    GIN1138 said:

Corbyn's a sleeper for leave,have you seen the telegraph and sun.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,810

notme said:

Scott_P said:
    It's generally reckoned in the EU that the Swiss arrangement was a mistake because it doesn't include any supranational oversight, unlike the EEA. In any case Switzerland and the EU are not talking to each other

So I think those three options are about right. Senior members of the French and German governments (Macron and Schaeuble) have both talked about qualifying EEA membership for Britain. That may just be posturing. Also the FTA option may be closer to the Korean model than the Canadian one.
  • Options
    John_N

Are you denying it's a xenophobic and racist campaign? It is. No question. It is squalid and disgusting.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: No longer a debate about whether Brexit has becomea racist campaign. Only question is how wide and deep the racism goes.

Top debating
  • Options
    nunu said:

Scott_P said:

I suspect Hodges is use to being told that :-)
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Given his history...
  • Options

It isn't a question of unions or no unions. It is a question of restricting the labour market which in turn allows wages to rise.

If you have a limited supply of housing etc, but then allow an unlimited supply of labour something is going to brake.
  • Options
    Roger said:

El_Dave said:

Louise Mensch says the Remain campaign have put a copyright infringement claim on the Corbyn/marr interview video.

Talking of lies.......Camerons best line of the evening "I'm sure there are arguments for Leaving but it would be a tragedy if the UK voted on three things that are COMPLETELY untrue. Turkey are NOT joining the EU. The UK are not joining a EU army and we do NOT pay £350 million to the EU each week"

At least the Times is impartial enough to include Jeremy's singular contribution to the debate. I bet the WWC Labour folk are lapping that up.
  • Options
    Does Dan Hodges think Mrs Duffy is a "Bigoted Woman"? ;)

• Options
    FF43 said:

notme said:

Scott_P said:
    It's generally reckoned in the EU that the Swiss arrangement was a mistake because it doesn't include any supranational oversight, unlike the EEA. In any case Switzerland and the EU are not talking to each other

So I think those three options are about right. Senior members of the French and German governments (Macron and Schaeuble) have both talked about qualifying EEA membership for Britain. That may just be posturing. Also the FTA option may be closer to the Korean model than the Canadian one.
    Yes, i could see why they wouldnt want to replicate it. Switzerland obviously have better negotiators than the EU does. Can we hire them?
  • Options
    nunu said:

Scott_P said:

He is calling the campaign racist.

• Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    I must say, when I hear the usual social justice warriors whining about what Orban in Hungary or PiS in Poland is getting up to, part of me wishes those governments on. Imagine their temerity, reflecting public opinion!

This is the classy way to seek a Remain vote, not Schaeuble's ridiculous threats.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

GIN1138 said:

Given his history...
    Jezza will vote LEAVE in the privacy of the polling booth I'm convinced of it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010

GIN1138 said:

Honesty on immigration is a rare trait in today's politicians. I'll have to vote Labour in the next PCC as a reward or something for him.
  • Options
    ViceroyViceroy Posts: 128

She's there because she's a minority. Let's be frank.

Baroness Token.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,907
    nunu said:

Scott_P said:

LOL!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756
    Cameron tonight showed that Remain is a one trick pony - 'it's the economy, stupid'. If you don't think the economy is currently working for your benefit then Remain offers you nothing.

He managed to extend his inability to do anything about EU migration into an admission that he is doing a fairly crap job in controlling non-EU migration. Even Corbyn didn't manage that this morning.

And he looked shifty as hell in his squirming and refusal to give a straight answer to the question of vetoing Turkish membership.

I think Remain will edge it, but Cameron's performance tonight won't have gained them votes.

Good night all.
  • Options
    Appreciate it was on hours ago but I've just finished watching it as live.

Baku GP. What a disappointing race! Looked like a great setup after bumpy practice and qualifying, ended us as good amount of overtaking but nob all bumpy bumpy. To give my brother/sister-in-law credit, when I left their house at teatime they didn't give anything away (they'd watched live) when I said my father's day treat later was to banish the childs to bed and watch the race with a beer...
  • Options

Exit polls for run offs in mayoral elections in Italy

Rome: 5 Stars 64-68% PD 32-36%

Milan: PD 49-53% Right 47-51%

Turin: 5 Stars 50-54% PD 46-50%

Bologna: PD 54-58% Right 42-46%

Naples: De Magistris 61-65 Right 35-39

Long time no speak. 5 stars are your brand of Eurosceptics? Correct?

How is that going down in Italy?
  • Options
    Roger said:

El_Dave said:

Talking of lies.......Camerons best line of the evening "I'm sure there are arguments for LEAVING but it would be a tragedy if the UK voted on three things that are COMPLETELY untrue. Turkey are NOT joining the EU. The UK are NOT joining a EU army and we do NOT pay £350 million to the EU each week"

Yep, great stuff. Three days of this and economic meltdown forecasts are now lined up no doubt.
  • Options

nunu said:

Scott_P said:

He is calling the campaign racist.

How can an inanimate object be racist? It's risible really. It's just a scattergun approach. Racist this, racist that, blah-de-fucking-blah.

There's just such a poverty of thought behind the whole approach. Mind you, carry on Dan. I'm sure you're doing sterling work for Brexit, if you did but know it.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

GIN1138 said:

Jezza has been for LEAVE for over 40 years. He's having to toe the party line right now but I'll never be convinced he's anything other than a committed LEAVER.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    John_M said:

Scott_P said:
    Good man.
  • Options
    Leaver who is embarrassed by the Leave campaign describes anti Leave story as embarrassing.

In other news, tea goes well with biscuits.
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941

PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

perdix said:

CLAPS
    Huh

REMAIN are RACISTS because the present EU immigration rules favour predominantly white EU countries over predominantly non-white non-EU countries.

RACIST REMAINERS!
    Something occurred to me reading this.

Given how successful trump is with his adjective insult campaign, shouldn't Racist Remainers be the clarion call of the Leave campaign. It certainly seems to have traction. Little Marco, Lyin' Ted and Low Energy Jeb certainly seemed to work.
  • Options

Cameron tonight showed that Remain is a one trick pony - 'it's the economy, stupid'. If you don't think the economy is currently working for your benefit then Remain offers you nothing.

He managed to extend his inability to do anything about EU migration into an admission that he is doing a fairly crap job in controlling non-EU migration. Even Corbyn didn't manage that this morning.

And he looked shifty as hell in his squirming and refusal to give a straight answer to the question of vetoing Turkish membership.

I think Remain will edge it, but Cameron's performance tonight won't have gained them votes.

Good night all.

"If you don't think the economy is currently working for your benefit then Remain offers you nothing."

...except Leave might be worse. You have to be really down on your luck for there not to be a "worse" in your early morning nightmares.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It's *deeply* offensive to class Brexit - and therefore those of us voting to Leave - as "racist". Go funk yourself Hodges
    What did Thatcher say about "The Enemy Within"?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Chameleon said:

GIN1138 said:

Given his history...
    Jezza will vote LEAVE in the privacy of the polling booth I'm convinced of it.
    PaRoy policy is for remain, and the party machine is advocating a "sceptical but on balance in favour" position which with our voters is the best we can. But it seems clear that the membership is split and yes that means people working for the party position disagreeing in the ballot box.
  • Options

Huh

And so fewer jobs.

The British economy creates enough wealth for it to 'carry' a certain level of lower than average productivity workers and a certain level of non-workers.

The problem is its not creating enough wealth at present to carry all the low productivity workers and non-workers.

Solutions are:

Reduce the number of non-workers - difficult with an ageing population

Increase average productivity - difficult if there are no restrictions on low productivity immigrants
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    SKY News paper review _ weve had to take the front page of The Times off for the time being mmmm
  • Options
    Not exactly the same as overtly threatening gangs of migrants raping British women is it? He's offering an opinion
  • Options
    Yes i am sure they are in absolute Turmoil as Lord Warsi changes her mind

I assume Remain were equally in turmoil when a recent Head of The Armed Forces changed his mind.

The difference being
    A) He actually had a proper job ( safe guarding 60+ million people)
    B) The Times are talking B*ll*cks and neither side was greatly fussed one way or the other.
  • Options
    marke09 said:

SKY News paper review _ weve had to take the front page of The Times off for the time being mmmm

Apparently its amending its front page
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

John_M said:

Scott_P said:
    Good man.
    Not entirely sure who this helps or why.
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Wait what?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,810
    notme said:

FF43 said:

notme said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, i could see why they wouldnt want to replicate it. Switzerland obviously have better negotiators than the EU does. Can we hire them?
    I'm not sure about that. Negotiators negotiate. The Swiss ones aren't doing that because they have seriously pissed off both the Germans with discriminatory taxation and a lack of a legal framework under which Germany can sell goods into Switzerland and also all of East Europe because of their discriminatory immigration policy. Eastern Europe makes up half the voting states in the EU, don't appreciate being seen as second class countries and having got into the EU the hard way, don't buy into the "plucky little Switzerland" meme.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited June 2016
    Lowlander said:

PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

perdix said:

CLAPS
    Huh

REMAIN are RACISTS because the present EU immigration rules favour predominantly white EU countries over predominantly non-white non-EU countries.

RACIST REMAINERS!

Given how successful trump is with his adjective insult campaign, shouldn't Racist Remainers be the clarion call of the Leave campaign. It certainly seems to have traction. Little Marco, Lyin' Ted and Low Energy Jeb certainly seemed to work.
    It might have some traction except:

1) accusing someone of being racist is usually a sign of a lost argument

2) rather like the Little Englander jibe it is likely to backfire. Many Britons would prefer migrants to be of white Christian heritage.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

marke09 said:

Wait what?
    Apparently its front page is being amended
  • Options
    Alex Wickham ‏@WikiGuido 2m2 minutes ago

Curiously, 'defector' Sayeeda Warsi does not appear to have been part of the 'Muslims for Britain' pro-Leave group
  • Options

Jobabob said:

He may yet not be the nominee.
    He said $5 billion, and he'd think about it...

And he's within touching distance in the relevant swing states.

Not even started on the Crooked One yet.

Wang the Man says 35% chance now...
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    Lowlander said:

PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

perdix said:

CLAPS
    Huh

RACIST REMAINERS!

Go ahead and see how far that one goes.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    marke09 said:

Alex Wickham ‏@WikiGuido 2m2 minutes ago

Curiously, 'defector' Sayeeda Warsi does not appear to have been part of the 'Muslims for Britain' pro-Leave group

Trouble for the remain side ?
  • Options

It isn't a question of unions or no unions. It is a question of restricting the labour market which in turn allows wages to rise.

If you have a limited supply of housing etc, but then allow an unlimited supply of labour something is going to brake.
    I was always fascinated by the left's obsession with Maggie's "anti trade union legislation".

It really wasnt very anti, except anti organisations causing industrial unrest without good cause or regard to their actions.

The first piece of legislation was in 1980. It tightened what could be considered lawful picketing (ie not being allowed to threaten to slit the throats of anyone who crossed the picket line), and a ballot to prevent 'closed shop' work places, unless 80% approved.

Those Tory bas**ards. They even went further with their fascist regime. In 1982 they passed a laws that :
    * unlawful to sack someone for not being a member of a union.
    * removal of civil immunity for unlawful industrial action
    * immunity only applies to lawful trade disputes between workers and their employers. No secondary action.

In 1984 she passed a law requiring a union to hold a secret ballot as to whether they go on strike. How did she sleep at night?

It took a Tory to democratise the trade union movement.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634
    marke09 said:

Chameleon said:

marke09 said:

Wait what?
    I get the feeling that Warsi may have made slightly more of her Leave support to The Times thanks really the case.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    marke09 said:

Chameleon said:

marke09 said:

Wait what?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xIlOJBPa1Q
  • Options
    Times front page has not been amended sticking with story
  • Options

Good night all.

"If you don't think the economy is currently working for your benefit then Remain offers you nothing."

...except Leave might be worse. You have to be really down on your luck for there not to be a "worse" in your early morning nightmares.
    Its direction of travel.

If things have been getting worse for you for several years you will expect things to continue to do so if nothing changes.

That's why you vote for change.
This discussion has been closed.