Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The real winner of the debate last night

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Scott_P said:

German industry didn't get where it is by competing on price.

And where "from the World" can I buy a cheaper BMW than Germany?

So we buy those under WTO rules, and the government collects the extra tax from the exporters.

Next.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,294
    Izzard serves in The Royal Regiment of Virtue Signallers.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    My dad's friend, a postman, bought a plot and had a detached house built, with three children and a homemaker wife. But with 50 years of progress...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

So we buy those under WTO rules, and the government collects the extra tax from the exporters

"cheaper from the world"...

Next.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,274
    Vote Leave must be profiling their supporters - I've received an email from Priti:

"I am more convinced than ever that our country will leave the European Union in just two weeks’ time."
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,213

Scott_P said:

So we buy those under WTO rules, and the government collects the extra tax from the exporters.

Next.
    You were arguing this would give us some leverage over the German government. Have you changed your mind?

Another factor you're forgetting about is the exchange rate. That BMW will probably become much more expensive regardless of tariffs.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Vote Leave must be profiling their supporters - I've received an email from Priti:

"I am more convinced than ever that our country will leave the European Union in just two weeks’ time."

A mud wrestling match between Priti and Rudd - prime time pay per view.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @SeanT It may just be random sample variation.

Though it is exactly what I would expect too.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Scott_P said:

Next.
    You were arguing this would give us some leverage over the German government. Have you changed your mind?

Another factor you're forgetting about is the exchange rate. That BMW will probably become much more expensive regardless of tariffs.

The leverage varies according to the product. In terms of branded cars like MB, BMW, etc then the obvious leverage is the simple fact that we have a lot of customers and they want to sell them!

Remember MB is a premium brand over here, but more of a work-horse in Germany. They really need these sales.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,921

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,213

Scott_P said:

Next.

The leverage varies according to the product. In terms of branded cars like MB, BMW, etc then the obvious leverage is the simple fact that we have a lot of customers and they want to sell them!

Remember MB is a premium brand over here, but more of a work-horse in Germany. They really need these sales.

You've just said that people will swallow the WTO tariffs. They'll get the sales.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I get a paypacket.

Since it appears you have never seen one, here is a 21st Century image of a paypacket

http://www.doesntgrowontrees.co.uk/ten-money-blasts-from-the-past/pay-packet/
    Ask anyone who gets one of these, which figure is their pay this week
    Good point, I certainly remember when the weekly pay packet was the ruler of our house, and you knew to the all important penny what should be inside ..
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Lord Ashcroft's latest focus group findings:

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2016/06/lord-ashcroft-conservative-infighting-corbyns-insignificance-and-the-economy-my-eu-focus-groups-in-cardiff.html

Seems much more pro-Remain group than in previous weeks. Note in particular the comments about Martin Lewis. That seems significant to me.

That does sound like a nation shifting, reluctantly and grudgingly, to a narrow REMAIN victory. Am 90% sure this is what will happen.
    I'm not so sure. Bear in mind this was in Cardiff which will probably be one of the most pro remain parts of Wales. I wish we had more info on where the respondents come from. Were they all from Cardiff or have some people come in from say the Valleys?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411

SeanT said:

Lord Ashcroft's latest focus group findings:

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2016/06/lord-ashcroft-conservative-infighting-corbyns-insignificance-and-the-economy-my-eu-focus-groups-in-cardiff.html

Seems much more pro-Remain group than in previous weeks. Note in particular the comments about Martin Lewis. That seems significant to me.

That does sound like a nation shifting, reluctantly and grudgingly, to a narrow REMAIN victory. Am 90% sure this is what will happen.
    I'm not so sure. Bear in mind this was in Cardiff which will probably be one of the most pro remain parts of Wales. I wish we had more info on where the respondents come from. Were they all from Cardiff or have some people come in from say the Valleys?
    Dr. Henretty expects Remain to carry Cardiff by 54/34 if the nation is split 50/50.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Scott_P said:

LucyJones said:

When people talk about their salaries, they say: "I'm on £50k" (or whatever). They don't tend to say: "I'm on £35k after tax".

That is the whole point.

People on salaries of £50k talk about gross.

People who get weekly paypackets talk about how much is in them (nett).

Clearly I am in a minority here as someone who thinks the EU is wonderful.
    Fixed

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,425
    Scott_P said:

South Africa. All right hand BMW 3 series worldwide are produced just outside Pretoria. South African wages are lower than german wages.
This discussion has been closed.