Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest YouGov poll is an Ode to Joy for Leave as Remain goe

13»

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Dawn in Barcelona. I have spent much of the last three days explaining to incredulous assorted Americans and Europeans that the UK will vote to leave the EU. They just don't get it. The shockwaves that will be caused by the referendum result are going to be significant. We can only hope that they are short-lived. If the Leave establishment have this wrong in the way that Yes were wrong about the benefits of Scottish independence, then a lot of people in the UK face very uncertain, unhappy futures. But that's democracy. It's what the people will have voted for.

You keep referring to how Yes were wrong in Scotland, but what about the flip side? For the Euro it wasn't the sceptics were wrong, so what if Leave are right and Remain are wrong like the Europhiles were wrong about the Euro?
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Great poll for Remain. The vast majority of the DKs will break for the status quo.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    JamesM said:

most crucially is anti-democratic in sentiment. The Remain campaign need to smack it down quickly or I can see Leave running with it - 'they give you a vote, you decide, they ignore you - that's the elites for you'.

That's the problem for the Brexiteers.

Gove claimed on TV that the EU was an undemocratic elite cos you can't vote them out.

He can't now claim the UK Parliament are also an undemocratic elite.

If Brexit wants to assert the "sovereign will of the British parliament" then that is what they get
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The Reverse Maastricht thing just might be a problem for the Brexiteers.

If the point of the exercise is to restore the "sovereign will of parliament", how exactly can they stop MPs voting to do a deal they personally don't like?

Doesn't bother me. So long as we leave the political Project, what deals Parliament assents to is up to them - and up to us as we can elect on the basis of implementable manifestos.

But it's more evidence that we will need a new election after a Leave vote.
    I'm not sure I follow the logic of that, but if you're convinced those nice folk at Skybet are offering odds of 12/1 against a General Election this year and the same odds against 2017.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Jobabob said:

Great poll for Remain. The vast majority of the DKs will break for the status quo.

The vast majority of DK won't vote.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

If Leave were to win it would now be clearly with a mandate to stop foreigners coming.

That may be a deplorable indictment of the British people, but Parliament should respect it.

You could argue there would also clearly be a mandate to "stop sending £350m a week to Brussels"

Since that is not a real thing that is happening, how should Parliament respect that wish?

If you stand on a platform of moonbeams and fairy dust, you can't complain when they are not delivered.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Jobabob said:

Remain will win.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Mr P,

Mr M is correct. "You have a referendum, you propose, but we dispose."

That would be political suicide.

• Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    What does "should" mean when a French person is asked whether Britain "should" stay in the EU? "Should" in the sense of good for people in Britain or good for people in France?

So 65% of the French sample said Britain should leave and 34% said yes. In another survey, done for academics at Edinburgh university, the figures were 56% and 44%. Both sets of figures seem unreliable given that 65% in France (of those who expressed a preference) are said to want a referendum on Frexit source) and 42% (ditto, and same source) are said to want a Frexit.

There's no great antagonism between Britain and France at the moment, so it's possible the question "Should Britain stay?" was interpreted by many as "Do you like Britain?"

Those who think opinion polls should be consumed without salt should take account of the fact that only 1% of the French sample gave a "neither yes nor no" answer to "should Britain stay?" but 22% of another French sample gave an uncommitted answer to "should France stay?" (Source.) So more people in France care about whether Britain should be in the EU than whether France should?

If Britain does leave, France retaining its EU membership would seem to amount to tagging along with what would basically be a deutschmark zone in all but name. I doubt that would last long.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Indigo said:

Jobabob said:

Remain will win.
    Maybe. Let's wait and see.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited June 2016
    Scott_P said:

Here's the story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36457120

Stephen Kinnock, the Labour MP for Aberavon, said: "If the British people voted to leave the EU that's one thing.

"But can we really say that they voted for the devastation and destruction of the entire exporting sector of our economy? I don't think you can necessarily say that there's a democratic mandate for that."

But he warned there could be a constitutional crisis if MPs voted to keep Britain's borders open, something people would have rejected in the referendum.

"In a sense it's a lose-lose situation. I don't see how you untie that Gordian knot because you're looking at a massive economic crisis going down the track of the Canada model and a constitutional crisis going down the track of the Norway model."

Strange that Stephen Kinnock doesn't mention the Swiss model, after all he lived there until very recently.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,957
    edited June 2016
    I've watched many elections that have left me depressed. But if this goes for 'Leave' it'll be the first one that will leave me ashamed. I never thought this country would vote for xenophobia. UKIP becoming the de facto government.

I know there are xenophobes in this country-this site has more than its fair share-but I've never thought they were anywher near a majority.

The TNS poll showing what Europe thinks of us will change very radically over the next few months if this madness happens.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/78/83/29/7883292bcb8dc46ceecf84f89681b6be.jpg

• Options

Scott_P said:

Here's the story

Stephen Kinnock, the Labour MP for Aberavon, said: "If the British people voted to leave the EU that's one thing.

"But can we really say that they voted for the devastation and destruction of the entire exporting sector of our economy? I don't think you can necessarily say that there's a democratic mandate for that."

But he warned there could be a constitutional crisis if MPs voted to keep Britain's borders open, something people would have rejected in the referendum.

"In a sense it's a lose-lose situation. I don't see how you untie that Gordian knot because you're looking at a massive economic crisis going down the track of the Canada model and a constitutional crisis going down the track of the Norway model."

Strange that Stephen Kinnock doesn't mention the Swiss model, after all he lived their until very recently.
    He should be able to talk extensively about how the ECJ struck down the Council of Europe deal that was made to get the Danes to signup up for Maastricht, considering who he is married to, strangely doesn't mention that either ;)
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

O/T Hillary is now only 30 delegates short: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/06/hillary-clinton-on-brink-of-winning-democratic-nomination-after/

The Berne gets ever more self-indulgent.

The final primaries are tomorrow, Hillary will likely win the nomination then but it would be farcical for Sanders to pull out now especially when he is so close in California
    When's the 'contested' convention?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    Roger said:

I've watched many elections that have left me depressed. But if this goes for Leave it'll be the only one that will leave me ashamed. I never thought this country would vote for xenophobia. UKIP philosophy becoming the de facto government.

I know there are xenophobes in this country-this site has more than its fair share-but I've never thought they were anywher near a majority.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/78/83/29/7883292bcb8dc46ceecf84f89681b6be.jpg

Don't worry Rog, I'm sure the French will still let you in to Cap D''Sea view and plonk' :D
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Scott_P said:

Here's the story

Strange that Stephen Kinnock doesn't mention the Swiss model, after all he lived there until very recently.
    But he is correct in saying a Vote for Leave = Coming out of the Single Market and closing down the borders.

Access to the Single Market is not the same as being in the Single Market. After all, we have access to the Chinese market as well or any other market. But that would not necessarily be tariff free - either way.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739
    The overwhelming impression one gets from reading this site is that most political betting people here want Leave to win and think that they will, but on Betfair where political betting people actually put their money it's about 65:35 that we will Remain.
    Can anyone explain that?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

If Leave were to win it would now be clearly with a mandate to stop foreigners coming.

That may be a deplorable indictment of the British people, but Parliament should respect it.

You could argue there would also clearly be a mandate to "stop sending £350m a week to Brussels"

Since that is not a real thing that is happening, how should Parliament respect that wish?

If you stand on a platform of moonbeams and fairy dust, you can't complain when they are not delivered.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,687
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: This is why Vote Leave's claims today are stretching it ...Reality Check: Will the UK pay for future euro bailouts?
    https://t.co/TbMdSAe4m1

But the UK government agreed a deal with the EU under which the European Central Bank - i.e. eurozone countries only - would cover any liabilities that would have fallen to the UK or other non-eurozone countries. This meant that the UK and other non-eurozone countries were exempted from any risk of losing money in this emergency loan to Greece

What she says is true, but it was only after the press screamed at Cameron. The original intention was that we were to be on the hook for our share.

I believe (IIRC) there was also an attempt to use some leftover money from an old fund towards the bailout - again stopped after complaints.

Basically we have to be eternally vigilant to make sure promises are kept and we are not being stitched up. That's not a partnership I want to be part of.
    ie we're not on the hook.

Next.
    As far as my reading of the situation went, the extra two billion in budget contributions is seperate from the possibility of another Greek baillout.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751

The overwhelming impression one gets from reading this site is that most political betting people here want Leave to win and think that they will, but on Betfair where political betting people actually put their money it's about 65:35 that we will Remain.
    Can anyone explain that?

As we say in Yorkshire, Leavers are all fart and no follow through.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I've watched many elections that have left me depressed. But if this goes for Leave it'll be the only one that will leave me ashamed. I never thought this country would vote for xenophobia. UKIP philosophy becoming the de facto government.

What the f*ck is it with you lefties, no one is pulling up any drawbridges, closing any gates, not even necessarily reducing the net number of immigrants (although its likely). Its about letting the British people decide their own future, and letting them throw out politicians that don't give them what they want, and yet you despise us so much you can't bring yourself to countenance it.

How is it the British are too small, too poor and too stupid to be successful outside the EU, whilst being a major world power with a top 5 economy, and yet no one is telling New Zealand they are too small and should be forming a federation with Australia, or the Japanese with China. It's bizarre.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    edited June 2016
    Roger said:

Indeed - very sad state of affairs if this was to happen.

However, on the day itself I still believe that Remain will win comfortably.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,417

Can anyone explain that?

A lot of Political Betting people aren't political betting people?
  • Options
    Roger. Not wanting to be governed by 'others' is not equal to hating them (xenophobia).
  • Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 221
    @Scott_P said:

"That's the problem for the Brexiteers.

Gove claimed on TV that the EU was an undemocratic elite cos you can't vote them out.

If Brexit wants to assert the "sovereign will of the British parliament" then that is what they get"

You are conflating two issues. The UK Parliament are elected by the people correct, but since their election they would, in the event of a Leave vote, have been told by the voters to Leave the European Union. If MPs then begin to chip away at that decision then we have a huge constitutional crisis and I would imagine the voters would in 2020 see fit to tell those MPs who will have lost an argument and then sought to ignore the will of the people where to get off.
  • Options

Can anyone explain that?

Or a few rich people have put a lot of money on remain and the betting numbers bear no real resemblance to the actual chances.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Can anyone explain that?

Or a few rich people have put a lot of money on remain and the betting numbers bear no real resemblance to the actual chances.
    Then Leavers should be hoovering up all that free money. Win win for you.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    If other EU countries wanted us to stay, they should have given us a better deal....
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Here's the story

But he is correct in saying a Vote for Leave = Coming out of the Single Market and closing down the borders.

Access to the Single Market is not the same as being in the Single Market. After all, we have access to the Chinese market as well or any other market. But that would not necessarily be tariff free - either way.
    Its not tariff free now, we pay far bigger tariffs on whole ranges of good, not least food, imported from outside the EU now compared to the maximum WTO MFN tariffs of 4%. Not only that the EU tariffs go to the EU, any tariffs we chose to impose post-Brexit would come to HM Treasury.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: This is why Vote Leave's claims today are stretching it ...Reality Check: Will the UK pay for future euro bailouts?

That is where Laura K is missing the point. If the gullible British public can believe Turkey can join the EU, bypassing 28 vetoes and having first applied to join in 1987 then it can believe the bailouts as well.
    Possibly the British public believe that Turkey will gain a right of residency for its citizens as part of a quid-pro-quo on migrants in much the same way as they will be getting visa free travel next month having fulfilled precisely none of the requirements that were put on them, or as part of a free trade deal, and that membership of the EU might not be a prerequisite.

If the EU wanted to people to believe what they say about Turkey they should have insisted on every one of those requirements being met, not hand waved them away as a mere inconvenience, otherwise what else might get hand waved away as an inconvenience ?
    Turkey has complied with its side of the deal - stopped the boats. It is the EU which has reneged by not giving a cent as yet and has not allowed visa free travel.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    surbiton said:

Indigo said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

That is where Laura K is missing the point. If the gullible British public can believe Turkey can join the EU, bypassing 28 vetoes and having first applied to join in 1987 then it can believe the bailouts as well.
    Possibly the British public believe that Turkey will gain a right of residency for its citizens as part of a quid-pro-quo on migrants in much the same way as they will be getting visa free travel next month having fulfilled precisely none of the requirements that were put on them, or as part of a free trade deal, and that membership of the EU might not be a prerequisite.

If the EU wanted to people to believe what they say about Turkey they should have insisted on every one of those requirements being met, not hand waved them away as a mere inconvenience, otherwise what else might get hand waved away as an inconvenience ?
    Turkey has complied with its side of the deal - stopped the boats. It is the EU which has reneged by not giving a cent as yet and has not allowed visa free travel.
    I thought there were many more conditions to the deal than that?
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Scott_P said:

CD13 said:

A referendum seen to be a fake would lose all credibility

It's not a fake. If we vote leave, we leave.

But the terms are not set by the Faragists.

It's true that if the public don't like the terms that are agreed, they can vote out the Government, but it's not clear they can vote out a majority of MPs who want the maximum economic benefit from the EU, even if that means free movement of people.

I think the referendum result has to be and will be respected but it means what it says on the tin: we would be leaving the EU. Specific plans announced by Vote Leave aren't on the ballot paper and the new regime would have to work to get them through Parliament if it wanted to, using the usual methods - threats, concessions, appeals to personal authority etc.

But I think it will be hard enough to assemble a majority for any course of action. That will be their real worry.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Roger. Not wanting to be governed by 'others' is not equal to hating them (xenophobia).

I think one of the main psychological differences between Reamiers and Leavers is that Remainers don't regard fellow Europeans as "others", or, at least, not to the same extent as Leavers do.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Can anyone explain that?

A lot of people on here not only don't bet, they claim not to understand any betting terms anf will act incredibly offended if you offer them a wager on a prediction they make.
  • Options
    So, looking at the thread header I see that trade unions want us to vote Remain in order that future British governments are not free to deliver the employment law they put in their manifestos. Marvelous! Are they scared of the British people or do they hate them? Tells you all you need to know about lefty views on the merits of democracy - they want to subvert it because the plebs can't be trusted to give the 'right' outcome. Please vote Leave everybody.
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

Indigo said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

I thought there were many more conditions to the deal than that?
    Turkey can "opt out" of the deal just like the EU can. It can just rest the coast guards.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I enjoy posting on Political betting for the quality of debate (albeit more recently this seems to have got far too parochial and tribal); I am not a political gambler of any note. I once put a few quid on a previous General Election, but no spreadbetting.

I would imagine the discrepancy of the views on politicalbetting and on the referendum stem from people being like me; interested in politics but not a fan of gambling.

Moreover, even the polls suggest most Leave supporters don't think we will win. I hope we do, I think it will be closer than I imagined, and I live in hope; but I still put Remain a firm favourite.

Sometimes some of the people on here do not seem to understand there are individuals who passionately believe in something and believe in that regardless of whether we think it is popular or will win a contest.

• Options

Patrick said:

I think one of the main psychological differences between Reamiers and Leavers is that Remainers don't regard fellow Europeans as "others", or, at least, not to the same extent as Leavers do.
    Indeed. Wait until the Eurozone is forced to become a country. Then we'll find out just how real the dreamed of European 'demos' really is. Or isn't, as the case may be. The elites may jerk themselves into a frenzy about it - but the ordinary people of France, Germany, Italy, Spain, NL, etc have NOT given an OK for their countries to be eradicated. A recession is coming PDQ and will kill the Euro IMHO.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited June 2016
    Patrick said:

So, looking at the thread header I see that trade unions want us to vote Remain in order that future British governments are not free to deliver the employment law they put in their manifestos. Marvelous! Are they scared of the British people or do they hate them? Tells you all you need to know about lefty views on the merits of democracy - they want to subvert it because the plebs can't be trusted to give the 'right' outcome. Please vote Leave everybody.

There's something really odd about this whole thing - I keep seeing horror predictions of the workers' rights wasteland Brexit would usher in.

WTF? It's the British electorate who'll decide this. Are they going to back this? Of course not. It's complete rubbish. The same goes for them voting in a bunch of racist bigots who want to stone gays. I think it says a great deal more about them than the good sense of the British people.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Here's the story

Its not tariff free now, we pay far bigger tariffs on whole ranges of good, not least food, imported from outside the EU now compared to the maximum WTO MFN tariffs of 4%. Not only that the EU tariffs go to the EU, any tariffs we chose to impose post-Brexit would come to HM Treasury.
    What do you mean Tariffs go to the EU ? EU sets the tariffs , yes , but where did you get the idea that any duties paid in the ports or airports go to the EU ?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,086

Nicola could have an interesting time with Boris:

it remains unclear why the SNP so strongly supports one Union (the EU) and not the other (the UK). Partly it jars because for so long the words “Union” and “Unionism” have been treated pejoratively, synonymous with Conservatism, imperialism and lots of other regressive “isms”, thus the sudden change of tone in praising the European Union – and there-fore European Unionism – sounds insincere.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/14537766.David_Torrance__Why_SNP__39_s_support_for_European_Unionism_jars_with_its_rejection_of_UK_Unionism/

It's because they hate the English. Rule from Brussles (and Strasbourg one week a month) is preferable to rule from London.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    edited June 2016
    JamesM said:

@Scott_P said:

"That's the problem for the Brexiteers.

If Brexit wants to assert the "sovereign will of the British parliament" then that is what they get"

You are conflating two issues. The UK Parliament are elected by the people correct, but since their election they would, in the event of a Leave vote, have been told by the voters to Leave the European Union. If MPs then begin to chip away at that decision then we have a huge constitutional crisis and I would imagine the voters would in 2020 see fit to tell those MPs who will have lost an argument and then sought to ignore the will of the people where to get off.

For the sake of argument , say the UK votes narrowly for Leave but the local count figures show that Boris's and Gove's constituents had voted a clear majority for Remain then in Parliament should they vote for the UK to remain in the EU ?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Indigo said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

No it hasn't. There were a number of other conditions aside from stopping the boats.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36276419
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,293

Can anyone explain that?

1. If you assume that the result is halfway between phone polls and on-line polls, the Remain is probably still 4-5% ahead, although their lead has slipped sharply of late.
    2. There's no such thing as momentum in politics: that something moved in one direction last week does not increase the chance it will move that way this week.
    3. Historically, "Don't Knows" tend to break for the status quo. (And, bizarrely, there seems to be little difference to vote with DKs.)

Personally, I think the odds are about right.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Osborne is in NI today with his doom-mongering message. I expect him to do Wales and Cornwall plus anywhere else that gets EU funding.

He'd better stay away from fishermen!

EU Referendum: Are the Western Isles the most Eurosceptic part of Britain?".

I can report from Stornoway that Vote Leave posters are everywhere and I haven't seen a single Remain poster although I did see one car sticker. True, Yes had more posters on the island than No during the indyref and still lost, but that was different.

The Western Isles voted 70%-30% to leave the EU in 1975. Those figures could be repeated, more or less, in 2016.

The SNP seems to be applying a pro-Remain whip quite effectively on its MSPs. (The reason for pro-EU feeling in the SNP is little to do with "the economy". It's to do with countering the view that they are little Scotlanders. Hence too the use of ludicrous car stickers saying "Ecosse".) But that doesn't mean that those who voted for the SNP in the indyref and the Scottish GE will do what they're told in the EU referendum. I doubt the Scottish Remain % will be more than 1-2% higher than the British figure.

Admittedly, that 1-2% could make the difference between being above 50% and below it.

The argument that runs "vote Remain, because then Remain can win in Scotland and Leave can win in Britain, so we can push for another referendum" has little to no weight among most people.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

There's something really odd about this whole thing - I keep seeing horror predictions of the workers' rights wasteland Brexit would usher in.

WTF? It's the British electorate who'll decide this. Are they going to back this? Of course not. It's complete rubbish. The same goes for them voting in a bunch of racist bigots who want to stone gays. I think it says a great deal more about them than the good sense of the British people.
    No, the British electorate does not decide our elections. We only need 37% to vote in a government to decide what 63% did not want.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    surbiton said:

Indigo said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Here's the story

What do you mean Tariffs go to the EU ? EU sets the tariffs , yes , but where did you get the idea that any duties paid in the ports or airports go to the EU ?
    Funnily enough, from the EU

http://europa.eu/about-eu/basic-information/money/revenue-income/index_en.htm
    a large share of import duties on non-EU products (the country that collects the duty retains a small percentage).
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,465

If other EU countries wanted us to stay, they should have given us a better deal....

That's missing the point. in fact, the whole renegotiation, pretty much since (but not including) Cameron's Bloomberg speech, has been missing the point. The basic issue isn't Britain's 'deal': it's the nature of the EU itself.

It's unsurprising that other countries don't want to give Britain improved terms vis a vis themselves; what they should be looking to do is improve the organisation as a whole so that such deals aren't necessary. Hardly anyone is keen on the EU as it is; the division comes between those who believe that the benefits are worth the cost and/or that events will force the EU to reform towards what the European public wants (it's not just the EU), and those who believe that reform is a lost cause and/or that current and future costs are not worth the candle.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Indigo said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Here's the story

We do keep 25% of the tariffs, a few crumbs from the EU table.

http://www.greatcaricatures.com/articles_galleries/gillray/galleries/html/1787_0529_monstrous.html
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Indigo said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

The EU cannot grant visa free travel to the EU, it can only do so to the Schengen Zone (which is administered by the EU). The EU cannot make any 'promises' regarding the Common Travel Area (which we are a member of) because that would require the unanimous consent of a number of non-EU countries.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    JamesM said:

I enjoy posting on Political betting for the quality of debate (albeit more recently this seems to have got far too parochial and tribal); I am not a political gambler of any note. I once put a few quid on a previous General Election, but no spreadbetting.

I would imagine the discrepancy of the views on politicalbetting and on the referendum stem from people being like me; interested in politics but not a fan of gambling.

Moreover, even the polls suggest most Leave supporters don't think we will win. I hope we do, I think it will be closer than I imagined, and I live in hope; but I still put Remain a firm favourite.

Sometimes some of the people on here do not seem to understand there are individuals who passionately believe in something and believe in that regardless of whether we think it is popular or will win a contest.

I think it is more often that people on here do not understand there are vast swathes of the population who really don't care very much either way -- and that applies to most issues.
  • Options

Can anyone explain that?

or possibly, a lot of political betting people aren't Political Betting people.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,957
    edited June 2016

Scott_P said:

CD13 said:

It's true that if the public don't like the terms that are agreed, they can vote out the Government, but it's not clear they can vote out a majority of MPs who want the maximum economic benefit from the EU, even if that means free movement of people.

It is a deplorable indightment of the British people as much as the leaers promoting it. Their whole campaign is based on xenophobia and that's how it will be seen around the world. A reputation which Britain has built up over centuries will be lost in a single day
  • Options
    John_N4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Osborne is in NI today with his doom-mongering message. I expect him to do Wales and Cornwall plus anywhere else that gets EU funding.

He'd better stay away from fishermen!
    I see the poster boy for the Brexit fishing campaign is the star of Trawlermen. They've got a great logo too.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

Perhaps you could explain two things. First, why we need a legal system when in this electronic age it would be cheap enough to trust "the good sense of the British people" and indeed why we need representative, as opposed to direct, democracy at all.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,610
    Alistair said:

Can anyone explain that?

A lot of people on here not only don't bet, they claim not to understand any betting terms anf will act incredibly offended if you offer them a wager on a prediction they make.
    Well, there's around £19m on BF alone on EU market, so probably 1000s of punters who have never been near our sainted site.

As it happens I'm a Remainer, who's bet on Leave, because I think they will win and I will at least have the price of a night out as a consolation.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,207
    edited June 2016

Can anyone explain that?

Hi, logical song.

1) A significant proportion of those who bet on political events do not do so with the expectation of winning, but more an avocation of hope and tribal belonging
    2) A significant proportion of those who bet on political events do so on a "value bet" basis, placing money on inaccurate odds in the hope that they will move in the right direction before the election, enabling them to trade out at a profit.

Betting odds are a lousy predictor of results... :(
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    rcs1000 said:

If you assume that the result is halfway between phone polls and on-line polls, the Remain is probably still 4-5% ahead

On that assumption, and using the most recent five polls cited here of each kind, I make it 3.7%.

I am very sceptical of the idea that DKs will break for the "status quo" this time. Is there any evidence for that when the issue is immigration?

Even the concept of "status quo" seems less strongly applicable to continued EU membership than it does to Scotland remaining part of the Union, or to the retention of FPTP in Westminster elections.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited June 2016
    Indigo said:

Scott_P said:

CD13 said:

If Leave were to win it would now be clearly with a mandate to stop quite so many foreigners coming quite so fast.

Yes agreed. I've got no real problem with the right to work or even reside here with certain restrictions (maybe like having a job lined up that's at least 80% of average wages or being able to support yourself to the same level privately?) as long as it is under the sole control of the British people, which at present it's not. Wouldn't have taken that much really to have swayed my vote but the fact we got two fifths of sod all out of the negotiations was not great, and Cameron then trying to con me it was the greatest thing since sliced bread really put the tin hat on it.

• Options
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:

CD13 said:

It is a deplorable indightment of the British people as much as the leaers promoting it. Their whole campaign is based on xenophobia and that's how it will be seen around the world. A reputation which Britain has built up over centuries will be lost in a single day
    Cobblers.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739

Can anyone explain that?

Just to remove doubt, the lowercase and space were deliberate ;-)
  • Options
    Roger said:

I've watched many elections that have left me depressed. But if this goes for 'Leave' it'll be the first one that will leave me ashamed. I never thought this country would vote for xenophobia. UKIP becoming the de facto government.

The TNS poll showing what Europe thinks of us will change very radically over the next few months if this madness happens.

When you say 'this country', do you mean the UK, which is considering leaving an international organisation, or France, where polls give the National Front's Marine Le Pen the lead over incumbent president Hollande in head-to-head second round polls (admittedly, it's unlikely that there'd be such a second round but it's not completely impossible if there's a split centre/centre-right).
  • Options
    JamesM said:

This cuts both ways. I, for example, am a passionate believer in the European ideal of free movement and trade and even, ultimately, a United States of Europe. However, I accept that the vast majority of people do not share my views, and that there exists a wide spectrum of opinions ranging from roughly my position to full withdrawal from all European institutions.

I also rarely bet, though I did make £100 betting against Grexit a couple of years ago. There's no way I'd bet on the referendum - far too many unknown unknowns! I'm here for the political discussion.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    @MarkSenior For the sake of argument , say the UK votes narrowly for Leave but the local count figures show that Boris's and Gove's constituents had voted a clear majority for Remain then in Parliament should they vote for the UK to remain in the EU ?

- Two points. I agree that the idea of representative democracy does not necessarily mean an MP should follow what their electorates opinions to the letter. They are elected to represent their interests, should listen carefully and they can be voted out next time. However, in this case a national referendum on a very specific issue will have been held and I think this national referendum, and the verdict from the people should be respected; otherwise what is the point? Either don't have referenda, inform the voters the referendum is a guide only or respect the will of the people in them.

- Second point, the referendum is essentially a single, national constituency. There is no Boris Johnson or Michael Gove's constituency in these cases.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

JamesM said:

most crucially is anti-democratic in sentiment. The Remain campaign need to smack it down quickly or I can see Leave running with it - 'they give you a vote, you decide, they ignore you - that's the elites for you'.

If Brexit wants to assert the "sovereign will of the British parliament" then that is what they get
    Indeed. But if you think that the British parliament would do anything other than respect the will of the nation as expressed in a referendum then in that event, I expect you to be uncomfortably surprised.

(The only exception I'd make is if the referendum is so close that there are questions about the accuracy of the declared result, though in that case it'd be a real constitutional crisis, quite possibly leading to a second vote rather than parliament trying to close down the issue one way or the other).
  • Options
    John_N4 said:

rcs1000 said:

If you assume that the result is halfway between phone polls and on-line polls, the Remain is probably still 4-5% ahead

On that assumption, and using the most recent five polls cited here of each kind, I make it 3.7%.

Thank you very much.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Can anyone explain that?

Well, there's around £19m on BF alone on EU market, so probably 1000s of punters who have never been near our sainted site.

As it happens I'm a Remainer, who's bet on Leave, because I think they will win and I will at least have the price of a night out as a consolation.
    I only bet on things I don't care much about. I've always had a fear of counting chickens, so never jinx an outcome my heart wants.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

JamesM said:

Indeed. But if you think that the British parliament would do anything other than respect the will of the nation as expressed in a referendum then in that event, I expect you to be uncomfortably surprised.

(The only exception I'd make is if the referendum is so close that there are questions about the accuracy of the declared result, though in that case it'd be a real constitutional crisis, quite possibly leading to a second vote rather than parliament trying to close down the issue one way or the other).
    Well there have been problems - biased instructions going out and EU Nationals sent polling instructions. I don't think that Remain could claim that either have disadvantaged them.
  • Options

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:

CD13 said:

I think that's somewhat of an exaggeration but it will harm our reputation abroad.

Then again the reputation we have built up over centuries is not exactly lilywhite.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798

Can anyone explain that?

As we say in Warwickshire remainers are all blocked up and too full of shit to let go.

Better out than in
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

CD13 said:

Cobblers.
    Cobblers^2
  • Options

Can anyone explain that?

Just to remove doubt, the lowercase and space were deliberate ;-)
    Sure - but it does work both ways. A lot of people on the site don't bet, and a lot (far more, I'd imagine) people who bet don't visit the site.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    JamesM said:

@MarkSenior For the sake of argument , say the UK votes narrowly for Leave but the local count figures show that Boris's and Gove's constituents had voted a clear majority for Remain then in Parliament should they vote for the UK to remain in the EU ?

- Two points. I agree that the idea of representative democracy does not necessarily mean an MP should follow what their electorates opinions to the letter. They are elected to represent their interests, should listen carefully and they can be voted out next time. However, in this case a national referendum on a very specific issue will have been held and I think this national referendum, and the verdict from the people should be respected; otherwise what is the point? Either don't have referenda, inform the voters the referendum is a guide only or respect the will of the people in them.

- Second point, the referendum is essentially a single, national constituency. There is no Boris Johnson or Michael Gove's constituency in these cases.

Votes are being counted on a local basis in some cases as a single constituency in others 2 or 3 constituencies together . It may be that local factors cause a particular area to vote contrary to the national view , you seem to be saying that in this case the MP can put national considerations before that of his constituents . .
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Indigo said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Here's the story

Does this fall within the £8.5bn already or on top of it?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,417
    John_N4 said:

I doubt the Scottish Remain % will be more than 1-2% higher than the British figure.

Apropos the political betting/Political Betting discussion, are you a gambling man at all?
    John_N4 said:

Admittedly, that 1-2% could make the difference between being above 50% and below it.

Since 1-2% of the Scottish vote would likely to be in the low tens rather than hundreds of thousands, the odds are hugely against that 1-2% tipping the result either way.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,834

Roger said:

When you say 'this country', do you mean the UK, which is considering leaving an international organisation, or France, where polls give the National Front's Marine Le Pen the lead over incumbent president Hollande in head-to-head second round polls (admittedly, it's unlikely that there'd be such a second round but it's not completely impossible if there's a split centre/centre-right).
    The 'worst' it gets in this country is Nigel Farage who, for all his faults, is neither a fascist nor a racist.

I am proud of my country and its innate good sense.
  • Options
    RealBritainRealBritain Posts: 255
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:

CD13 said:

It is grim and depressing. If people vote for a campaign that is openly, unabashedly xenophobic, and which ranges from campaigning on "foreign criminals" to ther prospect of sex attacks on British women if we stay in the EU, this country will deserve absolutely everything it gets from the economic disaster of Brexit.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,834

Scott_P said:

JamesM said:

On the parliamentary arithmetic, unless Labour had a whipped vote against a new UK-EU deal I can't see it failing to pass the commons.

Let's be pessimistic: the SNP will definitely vote against, Green/SDLP/LD/Plaid too and Labour too

Conversely, Carswell/DUP/UUP/Tory leadership for (but with 40 Tory rebels and abstentions) except a dozen or so Labour Brexit rebels join them

I get about 308 MPs for the new deal and 299 against. That's with all other Labour MPs obeying the whip.

The bigger problem will be getting it through the Lords, IMHO.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,318
    edited June 2016
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,926
    In the early days of the campaign every time they were criticised for not knowing what Brexit meant the refrain was that it won't be up to us.

I remain convinced that Leave are whipping up the anti-immigration vote knowing full well that a single market option with F0M will follow. I just think Boris & Gove hope they will be able blame someone else when it happens.

The Tories that dominate the Leave campaign will look on the angry UKIP brigade as the poor bloody infantry. Their views will be dispensed with the moment they have served their purpose. As someone who could live with EEA/EFTA I don't mind but that is how I see it panning out.

• Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Scott_P said:

JamesM said:

On the parliamentary arithmetic, unless Labour had a whipped vote against a new UK-EU deal I can't see it failing to pass the commons.

Let's be pessimistic: the SNP will definitely vote against, Green/SDLP/LD/Plaid too and Labour too

Conversely, Carswell/DUP/UUP/Tory leadership for (but with 40 Tory rebels and abstentions) except a dozen or so Labour Brexit rebels join them

I get about 308 MPs for the new deal and 299 against. That's with all other Labour MPs obeying the whip.

The bigger problem will be getting it through the Lords, IMHO.
    If the Lords go against the express will of the people recorded in a direct referendum, I can see more winds of change coming their way.

But, isn't there a convention that the Lords does not block what is expressly in a manifesto? If so, isn't a referendum result even more explicit than one pledge of many in a manifesto? The logic must surely be that the convention would extend to referendum results.
  • Options

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

CD13 said:

It is grim and depressing. If people vote for a campaign that is openly, unabashedly xenophobic, and which ranges from campaigning on "foreign criminals" to ther prospect of sex attacks on British women if we stay in the EU, this country will deserve absolutely everything it gets from the economic disaster of Brexit.
    Are you saying you are OK with "foreign criminals", sex attacks on British women?

I think for most people, the Democracy is the prime mover. Being able to curb foreign criminals & sex attacks is just a bonus.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    OllyT said:

In the early days of the campaign every time they were criticised for not knowing what Brexit meant the refrain was that it won't be up to us.

I remain convinced that Leave are whipping up the anti-immigration vote knowing full well that a single market option with F0M will follow. I just think Boris & Gove hope they will be able blame someone else when it happens.

The Tories that dominate the Leave campaign will look on the angry UKIP brigade as the poor bloody infantry. Their views will be dispensed with the moment they have served their purpose. As someone who could live with EEA/EFTA I don't mind but that is how I see it panning out.

Indeed and we'll be back to square one. Rinse and repeat in 5 or 10 years time.
This discussion has been closed.