Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn found his voice on Thursday. Unfortunately, it was e

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,610
    As a change from EU: Anyone having further thoughts on Veep candidates? I may have not been tracking this correctly but it seems on BF that Christie has come in a bit in last few days.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

If the pound had not fallen back and so helped to offset the deflationary effect of Howe's tight fiscal policy unemployment might have headed for 4 million and the outcome would have looked very different.Thatcher probably owes her 1983 victory to the sharp fall in the exchange rate - and the Falklands War.

This old myth was disproved long ago by the polls.
    Not so - there is polling evidence to show some recovery in Tory support before the Falklands conflict but by that time the economy was benefitting from a weaker pound. The Crosby by-election defeat was barely four months before the Falklands was invaded - and Hillhead just a few days!
  • Options
    Indigo said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

viewcode said:

PlatoSaid said:

Immigration isn't as Remainers like to portray it Get The Darkies Out....

When you see constant articles in the Mail and Sun which are basically "LOOK! MIGRANTS! MIGRANTS! EW!", and compare that to the "open, outward looking" LEAVE campaign that was originally promised, it's not difficult to feel disappointed and repelled. The only reason why LEAVE'S current campaign isn't "get the darkies out" is because Poles, Syrians et al are not usually depicted as having dark skin. And seeing as this week's hate group appears to be the Turks ("LOOK! TURKS! EW!"), even that barrier appears to be being eroded.
    I'm genuinely stunned that someone as bright as yourself regularly indulges in this sort of nonsense.

It's just silly and childish.
    It would be patent nonsense to argue that all (or even a majority of) Leavers are racist but you could certainly argue that pretty much all racists are Leavers.

No. The racists are those who prefer nice white EU immigrants over nasty brown Global immigrants for the same level of skills and ability... otherwise known as the Remainers.
    I had not thought of it in that way, but you are true. As in the suggestions that "These are our european brothers and sisters our kith and kin, we are european".
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,302
    Roger said:

chestnut said:

Anecdote: Big banner "Stop the EU Dictatorship" plastered across the double gates of a drive in Epping.

I doubt they are C2DE voters.

I remember driving through a sea of blue posters in Somerset which probably represented one family and I thought it very unfair that with all that land they didn't get more than one vote each
    They would have in the 18th century
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

As a change from EU: Anyone having further thoughts on Veep candidates? I may have not been tracking this correctly but it seems on BF that Christie has come in a bit in last few days.

Rod's suggestion of McSandy seems solid to me, or possibly Joni Ernst for broadly the same reasons, but less compellingly.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,321
    Yorkcity said:

Miss Plato, I largely agree on values but there is an overlap (with the divide determined by how cynical one is about the EU) of those who liked the idea of remain with reform.

I like that idea, but find it incredible. The EU's not capable of changing that way, and I'd rather be governed by those who are accountable than those who are not.

I think one of the reasons Cameron has got himself in such a terrible position within his party is that too many people read into 'reform' whatever they wanted, however unrealistic it was. If anyone thought we could reconstitute the EU from the ground up into something completely different they were deluded, and as people now understand, that was never what Cameron and the majority of the political establishment in the UK wanted.
    Of course not. We all know that. All they ever wanted was enough of a change to be able to sell it to the public as reform so they could then win the referendum and have the EU carry on as before on its federalist trajectory.
    Richard surely if remain win they will have to be honest about the federalist trajectory ?
    As the referendum will have highlighted the issues , to a wider more informed public .
    Maybe that is to an optimistic outcome.
    But it's not just this issue where the political class and the media have a weird aversion to telling it like it is. That tendency covers a whole range of subjects.

We collectively need to be more grown up and refuse to allow a situation to continue where a politician being honest is regarded as a gaffe.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Estobar said:

Haha the comments about The Open from those who would probably keep the wives off the course are very amusing. Brits can be very funny sometimes.

It's the British Open to most of the world whatever the old codgers at the R&A like to think. Just be thankful that we can still refer to a language called 'English' not 'American.' It's quite gracious of them, all things considered.

Right that's enough from me. I don't usually cross the troll bridge.

There is the British Masters of course
    And we have not the British Queen but THE Queen.
    In the British media, to the Dutch, the Swedes, the Spanish, the Jordanians etc who have their own Queen she is the Queen of the United Kingdom or the Queen of England
    To Americans and others globally who don't have a monarch there is no doubt who The Queen is.
    Most Americans still refer to the 'Queen of England' not just 'The Queen'
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751
    Harsh

Gove's performance last night prompted one London punter to open account with Hills & bet £10,000 at 1/3 on a Remain victory
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited June 2016

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

"IN supporting Cabinet Ministers admit that Leave have had a good week. But they argue that they won’t be able to ride the immigration issue to victory on June 23rd. One argues that you can’t focus on immigration week after week, or ‘By week four, you end up sounding like Nigel Farage’.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/06/could-the-vote-leave-strategy-work/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I think Remain are missing the point - deliberately. And the more Remainers say it's the wrong thing to focus on, the more I'm inclined to think it actually is.
    Immigration isn't as Remainers like to portray it Get The Darkies Out, it's about pressure on house prices, rents, maternity services, school places, our culture, jobs and prospects and on and on and on.
    I've no problem whatsoever with importing smart articulate people from anywhere on the globe if that helps our nation to succeed. I object strongly to opportunist whatevers who don't raise the bar.
    The other point is that REMAIN believe a strategy of 19 weeks on the economy (stupid) will engage voters and think that 4 weeks on immigration is going to switch off voters.

Alistair Campbell on Newsnight said that REMAIN should stick to one strategy to win. I guess he must by now have learned from the elvis impersonator stunt at GE2010?
    As we've seen on here, Remain and Leave have two entirely different value sets. They're talking different languages and neither gets the other.

I'd happily lose economically, if we had control over our borders, law and national identity. I believe very strongly that the EU is a ball and chain on our prospects. I've no doubts that we'll succeed without them - we did so for 1000yrs.

Telling me that my mobile roaming bill might be a bit higher has no effect on me, nor that a footballer would need a visa or whatever - it's patronising noise.
    Could it be that the key problem for REMAIN's messages is that its messages are mainly aimed at small c conservative GE2015 voters. But Labour GE2015 voters are the biggest block of REMAIN's potential vote base.
    IMHO, I think far too many of the message makers in Remain are well off middle-class urbanites. They talk about house prices et al - which is totally irrelevant to those who rent, stuck living with parents, or in social housing.

And sneer at those who don't consider the groovy new Bulgarian eatery down the road as a price worth paying. Or having their local shops filled with goods from Poland.

This referendum has totally changed the game. The entitled well off from both Labour/Tories against those who aren't and feel threatened/alienated and forgotten.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    Indigo said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

viewcode said:

PlatoSaid said:

When you see constant articles in the Mail and Sun which are basically "LOOK! MIGRANTS! MIGRANTS! EW!", and compare that to the "open, outward looking" LEAVE campaign that was originally promised, it's not difficult to feel disappointed and repelled. The only reason why LEAVE'S current campaign isn't "get the darkies out" is because Poles, Syrians et al are not usually depicted as having dark skin. And seeing as this week's hate group appears to be the Turks ("LOOK! TURKS! EW!"), even that barrier appears to be being eroded.
    I'm genuinely stunned that someone as bright as yourself regularly indulges in this sort of nonsense.

It would be patent nonsense to argue that all (or even a majority of) Leavers are racist but you could certainly argue that pretty much all racists are Leavers.

No. The racists are those who prefer nice white EU immigrants over nasty brown Global immigrants for the same level of skills and ability... otherwise known as the Remainers.

The number of non-EU immigrants is not going to rise as a result of Brexit.

• Options
    Indigo said:

Rod's suggestion of McSandy seems solid to me, or possibly Joni Ernst for broadly the same reasons, but less compellingly.
    Interesting article in McSally's local paper yesterday. She's still being coy about supporting Trump.

http://tucson.com/mcsally-will-vote-for-president-in-november-but-won-t/article_e002c72a-29ba-11e6-a0b9-cbf0eb8f4c87.html
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,958
    edited June 2016
    Indigo said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

I didn't think he came across that badly in the Vice piece.

A little out of his depth and generally useless, but not a bad person.

He should use that as a campaign slogan! :) I think it's enough to win some votes with public trust in politicians being so low.

I have to say that I find it difficult to think of someone who hangs around with anti-semites and terrorists as "not a bad person".

You hang around with lawyers and criminals.
    You have no idea who I hang around with. And as it happens I don't hang around with criminals. I represent people who are innocent until proven guilty. And most of my work these days is on the prosecution side of the fence, as it happens. I have been responsible for a number of criminals going to prison and not being given airtime in Parliament. Whereas Corbyn lobbied for a convicted anti-semite to be heard in Parliament.

Corbyn chose who he spent time with and which organisations he would chair and play a part in and at which events he spoke. And from the record it appears that he chose to spend time with and to chair organisations and play a part in organisations and speak at events where a lot of terrorists, terrorist sympathizers and anti-semites also played a part and played a role in the organisations and spoke. That says something about the choices he made and therefore the sort of person he is, IMO.

You may choose to think me a bad person because I am a lawyer investigating bad behaviour in the financial services sector. That's your prerogative. And frankly I couldn't care less. But I am not standing for public office. Corbyn is. And his choices say something about the sort of man he is and the sort of party he leads.

Can you be convicted of anti semitism?
    Raed Salah was - to be specific, he was found by a court to have uttered the medieval blood libel against Jews.

Where was the court? Surely not in the UK. I think it's only a crime in certain EU countries and Israel. I cant find the conviction
    http://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/Islamic-Movement-leader-Salah-convicted-of-racist-incitement-on-appeal-381337
    A conviction for incitement in Israel is ridiculous. Half the Israeli Cabinet would be in jail if the same rules applied
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

Tell you what can we stop all the "anecdotes" on the EU referendum.

"I've been on this forum and they are all for remain" and "I've not bumped into anyone down the club that isn't for leaving" etc etc etc... Ad infinitum.

It's all bollocks because the posters doing it are entrenched in their positions of leave and remain so let's just presume that leave / remain posters always bump into someone or participate in a group that wholly and entirely validates the vote they are placing in the ballot box.

There are one or two exceptions to those posters of course but to be fair the other anecdotes are just glib and crass and boring.

To be honest Mr Moses, the anecdotes are more interesting that the poll ramblings...
    I agree - though the reports from some are less credible than others.

Watching the paper review on Sky earlier, a chappy who seemed a soft Remainer said he's spent the week in the NE and many he'd talked to were for Leave - inc lots of old friends, he seemed genuinely surprised and a bit thrown.

Ian Dunt whom I expected to be for Remain, left me with the impression he was a soft Leave. I was astonished to hear Lionel Barber of FT fame describe himself a bit self-consciously as Remainish.

Who knows what the Hell is going on. I don't.
    Actually you do know what's going on but you're so delighted you're struggling to believe it.

Us, we, the people of the UK are very close to giving an enormous middle finger to the Establishment. Bring it on and enjoy it, this is just the start.

Do you actually believe this "us, we, the people of the UK" stuff? The country is at worst evenly split when you start talking about only those people that share your opinion as being "the people" then you just sound unhinged to be honest.

I just can't get my head round the notion that people genuinely believe that the Establishment is going to suffer in some way if we vote for Brexit. It really won't.

They'll suffer a loss of political influence, and, most importantly for me, the loss of an excuse such as 'we can't do that (eminently sensible suggestion) because of EU rules' to hide behind.

Their political influence in this country will be exactly the same. There is no-one to replace them. The Leavers are as much part of the establishment as the Remainers. I do agree, though, that outside the UK their influence will be reduced.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,610
    Indigo said:

I have bets on both thanks to Rod's advice. Seems that Newt is the one everyone thinks it is most likely to be, thanks to his government experience.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Indigo said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

viewcode said:

PlatoSaid said:

That would be a matter of policy for the government of the day to decide, would it not?
  • Options

Indigo said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

viewcode said:

PlatoSaid said:

If the points system is introduced people will be treated the same regardless of where they come from, it will be skills, abilities and contribution to the nation that will matter, the PROPORTION of immigrants from outside the EU will probably go up dramatically.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

This referendum has totally changed the game. The entitled well off from both Labour/Tories against those who aren't and feel threatened/alienated and forgotten.

Gove and Boris Johnson hardly epitomise the alienated and forgotten. They're just manipulating them as a tool to win their political turf war.
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661

test
  • Options
    EstobarEstobar Posts: 558

test

match
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

viewcode said:

PlatoSaid said:

That isn't an argument that would hold much water.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,590
    Mortimer said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

"I've been on this forum and they are all for remain" and "I've not bumped into anyone down the club that isn't for leaving" etc etc etc... Ad infinitum.

It's all bollocks because the posters doing it are entrenched in their positions of leave and remain so let's just presume that leave / remain posters always bump into someone or participate in a group that wholly and entirely validates the vote they are placing in the ballot box.

There are one or two exceptions to those posters of course but to be fair the other anecdotes are just glib and crass and boring.

To be honest Mr Moses, the anecdotes are more interesting that the poll ramblings...

Watching the paper review on Sky earlier, a chappy who seemed a soft Remainer said he's spent the week in the NE and many he'd talked to were for Leave - inc lots of old friends, he seemed genuinely surprised and a bit thrown.

Ian Dunt whom I expected to be for Remain, left me with the impression he was a soft Leave. I was astonished to hear Lionel Barber of FT fame describe himself a bit self-consciously as Remainish.

Actually you do know what's going on but you're so delighted you're struggling to believe it.

Us, we, the people of the UK are very close to giving an enormous middle finger to the Establishment. Bring it on and enjoy it, this is just the start.

Do you actually believe this "us, we, the people of the UK" stuff? The country is at worst evenly split when you start talking about only those people that share your opinion as being "the people" then you just sound unhinged to be honest.

I just can't get my head round the notion that people genuinely believe that the Establishment is going to suffer in some way if we vote for Brexit. It really won't.

They'll suffer a loss of political influence, and, most importantly for me, the loss of an excuse such as 'we can't do that (eminently sensible suggestion) because of EU rules' to hide behind.
    We will await eagerly the zero-rating of VAT on home fuel bills.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

"IN supporting Cabinet Ministers admit that Leave have had a good week. But they argue that they won’t be able to ride the immigration issue to victory on June 23rd. One argues that you can’t focus on immigration week after week, or ‘By week four, you end up sounding like Nigel Farage’.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/06/could-the-vote-leave-strategy-work/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I think Remain are missing the point - deliberately. And the more Remainers say it's the wrong thing to focus on, the more I'm inclined to think it actually is.
    Immigration isn't as Remainers like to portray it Get The Darkies Out, it's about pressure on house prices, rents, maternity services, school places, our culture, jobs and prospects and on and on and on.
    I've no problem whatsoever with importing smart articulate people from anywhere on the globe if that helps our nation to succeed. I object strongly to opportunist whatevers who don't raise the bar.
    The other point is that REMAIN believe a strategy of 19 weeks on the economy (stupid) will engage voters and think that 4 weeks on immigration is going to switch off voters.

Alistair Campbell on Newsnight said that REMAIN should stick to one strategy to win. I guess he must by now have learned from the elvis impersonator stunt at GE2010?
    As we've seen on here, Remain and Leave have two entirely different value sets. They're talking different languages and neither gets the other.

I'd happily lose economically, if we had control over our borders, law and national identity. I believe very strongly that the EU is a ball and chain on our prospects. I've no doubts that we'll succeed without them - we did so for 1000yrs.

Telling me that my mobile roaming bill might be a bit higher has no effect on me, nor that a footballer would need a visa or whatever - it's patronising noise.
    Could it be that the key problem for REMAIN's messages is that its messages are mainly aimed at small c conservative GE2015 voters. But Labour GE2015 voters are the biggest block of REMAIN's potential vote base.
    Actually Remain cannot win with LabourGE2015 voters alone, it needs a majority of them but it needs small c conservative GE2015 voters to get over 50% and win the referendum. Leave also need those voters in the same way to add to UKIP voters and get to over 50%. It is small c conservative voters who will decide the referendum and are the key swing voters, not Labour voters and not UKIP voters. Remain need to get aat least around 45% of small c conservatives to win, Leave equally need to win close to 60% of those same small c conservatives if they are to win
  • Options
    Roger said:

Indigo said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

I didn't think he came across that badly in the Vice piece.

A little out of his depth and generally useless, but not a bad person.

He should use that as a campaign slogan! :) I think it's enough to win some votes with public trust in politicians being so low.

I have to say that I find it difficult to think of someone who hangs around with anti-semites and terrorists as "not a bad person".

You hang around with lawyers and criminals.
    You have no idea who I hang around with. And as it happens I don't hang around with criminals. I represent people who are innocent until proven guilty. And most of my work these days is on the prosecution side of the fence, as it happens. I have been responsible for a number of criminals going to prison and not being given airtime in Parliament. Whereas Corbyn lobbied for a convicted anti-semite to be heard in Parliament.

Corbyn chose who he spent time with and which organisations he would chair and play a part in and at which events he spoke. And from the record it appears that he chose to spend time with and to chair organisations and play a part in organisations and speak at events where a lot of terrorists, terrorist sympathizers and anti-semites also played a part and played a role in the organisations and spoke. That says something about the choices he made and therefore the sort of person he is, IMO.

You may choose to think me a bad person because I am a lawyer investigating bad behaviour in the financial services sector. That's your prerogative. And frankly I couldn't care less. But I am not standing for public office. Corbyn is. And his choices say something about the sort of man he is and the sort of party he leads.

Can you be convicted of anti semitism?
    Raed Salah was - to be specific, he was found by a court to have uttered the medieval blood libel against Jews.

Where was the court? Surely not in the UK. I think it's only a crime in certain EU countries and Israel. I cant find the conviction
    http://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/Islamic-Movement-leader-Salah-convicted-of-racist-incitement-on-appeal-381337
    A conviction for incitement in Israel is ridiculous. Half the Israeli Cabinet would be in jail if the same rules applied
    I assume they have the same sort of parliamentary privilege system we do.
  • Options
    dyingswandyingswan Posts: 189
    There has been some surprise expressed on here and in the media at the different audience reactions to the PM and Gove in the Sky debates. In my view it is not at all surprising. The PM has been at the forefront of British politics for 11 years. He is now at the same stage as Blair was in 2005.Margaret Thatcher did 11 years as PM. Once you go over 10 years the public tire of you.They get sick of your face and your mannerisms. You become the repository of blame for every obsession and gripe in their lives. The PM recognised this when he told James Landale that he would not seek re-election.
    Gove to many is a new face.Not to everyone of course. So toxic was he to teachers and parents that he had to be moved. But to most he is the new kid on the block. His schmaltz and insincerity to the woman with the house in France ant to the single mother can be forgiven because he is a fresh face. You might get away once with saying" I don't want experts on my side" but I do not recommend it as a government policy.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Why stop there? We could abolish VAT and replace it with the Australian GST system, given that Leave prefer policies made in Canberra.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,208
    edited June 2016

Harsh

Gove's performance last night prompted one London punter to open account with Hills & bet £10,000 at 1/3 on a Remain victory

Betting odds are a poor predictor of election results. Betting anecdotes are an extraordinarily poor predictor of election results... :(
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

If we vote Leave can we bring back proper money?

And pay for petrol by the gallon?

Anecdote - student on work placement with us said he still needs to apply for a postal vote. Let's see if he actually gets round to it.

I'm saving up to buy my old Triumph Spitfire back from my ex. He demanded her as part of our divorce. I'll need to get extra creative about fuel since she runs on 4*...
    You can buy an additive for that. Just put a squirt in every time you fill up.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,926
    Indigo said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

viewcode said:

PlatoSaid said:

and you really believe that sort of thing?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161
    PlatoSaid said:

Miss Plato, I largely agree on values but there is an overlap (with the divide determined by how cynical one is about the EU) of those who liked the idea of remain with reform.

I like that idea, but find it incredible. The EU's not capable of changing that way, and I'd rather be governed by those who are accountable than those who are not.

Gove made an evocative visual point last night about the power of *the removals van* at Downing St every 5 or 10 yrs. We can't do that with any EU bod.
    It happens to the Commission President if his party doesn't get enough votes. The British tried to stop this system taking root, but they failed.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

PlatoSaid said:

Exactly so. It's not just that I disagree with the arguments being put forward by Leave. It's more fundamental than that. I can't even relate to any of the points that Leave raise because there's no overlap at all between the Leave world view and my world view. It makes it hard for me to debate with Leavers when nothing they say makes any sense to me. I fully appreciate that this works both ways and that the arguments being put forward by Remain don't make any sense to Leavers either.

It's a fascinating paradox - I'm friends with a shrink who talks all the time about values and red lines/how we define ourselves. When we're confronted with ones we don't get - it's blank incomprehension at best - more often dismissal or abuse.

It rules what outrages us and makes us feel good.

Leave and Remain have fundamentally different ones. If you haven't seen it - Haidt is pretty interesting on this dilemma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs41JrnGaxc
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    PlatoSaid said:

Anecdote - student on work placement with us said he still needs to apply for a postal vote. Let's see if he actually gets round to it.

I'm saving up to buy my old Triumph Spitfire back from my ex. He demanded her as part of our divorce. I'll need to get extra creative about fuel since she runs on 4*...
    Our family have a Rolls-Royce and when unleaded came out we got a letter from the company helping us to ensure it would run. OK.

Not bad for a 1932 model.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Gove made an evocative visual point last night about the power of *the removals van* at Downing St every 5 or 10 yrs. We can't do that with any EU bod.
    At one time, the arrival of the removal van at the doors of 10 Downing Street, the day after a Government defeat at a General Election was always part and parcel of the custom and practice of booting out the previous Prime Minister and installing his successor. It always seemed unnecessarily hasty and therefore rather cruel to me. IIRC the removal van in question was always from John Lewis suggesting that either they had a long term contract to undertake this grisly task or else that they undertook it for free in order to gain the free attendant publicity.
    One always felt sympathy for the likes of Mary Wilson, Ted Heath (on his own) and Audrey Callaghan, etc. feverishly working away throughout the night to have everything packed up ready for their departure the following morning.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Why stop there? We could abolish VAT and replace it with the Australian GST system, given that Leave prefer policies made in Canberra.
    Is not the point that if Parliament is again sovereign it can do what it likes, but we can vote the buggers out if they do what we don't like?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

It happens to the Commission President if his party doesn't get enough votes. The British tried to stop this system taking root, but they failed.
    Aha, so the answer is to give the Commission President a high-profile residence so the media can film him or her getting turfed out on a periodic basis.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Estobar said:

Haha the comments about The Open from those who would probably keep the wives off the course are very amusing. Brits can be very funny sometimes.

It's the British Open to most of the world whatever the old codgers at the R&A like to think. Just be thankful that we can still refer to a language called 'English' not 'American.' It's quite gracious of them, all things considered.

In the British media, to the Dutch, the Swedes, the Spanish, the Jordanians etc who have their own Queen she is the Queen of the United Kingdom or the Queen of England
    To Americans and others globally who don't have a monarch there is no doubt who The Queen is.
    You need the "of England" part to distinguish her from Oprah Winfrey.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

They won't suffer materially, you are right. But they will suffer an epic humiliation. It is this aspect which some find attractive.
    If we do vote Leave I would be inclined to save the gloating till we discover whether the warnings from "the elite" had any validity or not.

• Options

TOPPING said:

It would certainly make life a lot simpler for Business if we dud. Didnt we have something similar before it was replaced by VAT when we joined the then EEC?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Well the same immigration policy is also used in that well known fascist police state Canada.
  • Options

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

The Establishment will always win, all we can do is give them a kick up the arse from time to time. Brexiteers are attempting this now.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Is not the point that if Parliament is again sovereign it can do what it likes, but we can vote the buggers out if they do what we don't like?
    Parliament never stopped being sovereign. The buggers we've elected over the years have preferred to stay in the EU, and we kept on electing them.

Even IDS said in 2003 that it was a lie to suggest he wanted to leave the EU because he was afraid of the electoral consequences.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Indigo said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

viewcode said:

PlatoSaid said:

and you really believe that sort of thing?
    Since some of my very well skilled brown friends and relatives have been denied and are currently appealing UK visas, yes!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Estobar said:

She could still be confused with Elton John though.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

viewcode said:

PlatoSaid said:

If the points system is introduced people will be treated the same regardless of where they come from, it will be skills, abilities and contribution to the nation that will matter, the PROPORTION of immigrants from outside the EU will probably go up dramatically.
    And the skill and education levels of immigrants will too.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Charles said:

Just thinking about this Trump visit.

I think it's quite smart by Leave assuming Trump is disciplined and on message (and I think he can be).

He turns up in London. Cameron kind of has to meet him, or look like a jerk. (They could met in Scotland as well). So Cameron is tied down for half a day in a strongly Remain area, but one where he doesn't appeal to the voters.

The TV pictures the night before the vote are of Cameron and Trump, which is unlikely to make left wing Remain voters inclined to to out and vote got that nice Mr Cameron (unless he is rude about Trump to his face which diplomacy makes difficult).

All Trump has to do is day nothing controversial (and nothing about the vote). Something like "I'm not going to interfere, it's up to the Brits. But I will say that Britain is a great nation with a proud history. I and millions of my fellow Americans value the close friendship between our two countries and that isn't going to change regardless of what you decide tomorrow"

You could potentially massively reassure nervous voters on the trade issue at a point when it is too late for Remain to do anything about it.

Just needs Trump to be disciplined...

Cameron won't meet him.
    Probably the only reason Trump is supporting BrExit is because Cameron went around calling him a dangerous idiot to anyone listening, but then Dave never really did get this international politics idea.... even if its a Remain might be best to resign early if Trump wins ;)

Cameron is not alone in believing Trump is a dangerous idiot, I would think 80% of world politicians share that view.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

They won't suffer materially, you are right. But they will suffer an epic humiliation. It is this aspect which some find attractive.
    :innocent:
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Parliament never stopped being sovereign. The buggers we've elected over the years have preferred to stay in the EU, and we kept on electing them.

Even IDS said in 2003 that it was a lie to suggest he wanted to leave the EU because he was afraid of the electoral consequences.
    Give me a break. The electoral choice was the Pro-EU Tory Party, the Pro-EU Labour Party or the Pro-EU LibDems, you could recently vote for the kippers in some seats, but the chance of them winning that seat was around zero, and you would have to be happy with Farage as PM.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,346

PlatoSaid said:

Gove and Boris Johnson hardly epitomise the alienated and forgotten. They're just manipulating them as a tool to win their political turf war.
    Quite right. The Tory euro-sceptic hard-right never gave a fig about the poor and the needy and still doesn't. They've just identified, rightly, a social subset imbued with frustration and resentment. Their aim is to channel that frustration towards a proxy target - namely Britain's EU membership. Once that goal is achieved, the Tory hard-right will leave them to their poverty and their crime estates and will never think about them again.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Indigo said:

Charles said:

I think it's quite smart by Leave assuming Trump is disciplined and on message (and I think he can be).

He turns up in London. Cameron kind of has to meet him, or look like a jerk. (They could met in Scotland as well). So Cameron is tied down for half a day in a strongly Remain area, but one where he doesn't appeal to the voters.

The TV pictures the night before the vote are of Cameron and Trump, which is unlikely to make left wing Remain voters inclined to to out and vote got that nice Mr Cameron (unless he is rude about Trump to his face which diplomacy makes difficult).

All Trump has to do is day nothing controversial (and nothing about the vote). Something like "I'm not going to interfere, it's up to the Brits. But I will say that Britain is a great nation with a proud history. I and millions of my fellow Americans value the close friendship between our two countries and that isn't going to change regardless of what you decide tomorrow"

You could potentially massively reassure nervous voters on the trade issue at a point when it is too late for Remain to do anything about it.

Cameron won't meet him.
    Probably the only reason Trump is supporting BrExit is because Cameron went around calling him a dangerous idiot to anyone listening, but then Dave never really did get this international politics idea.... even if its a Remain might be best to resign early if Trump wins ;)

Cameron is not alone in believing Trump is a dangerous idiot, I would think 80% of world politicians share that view.
    Another anti-Trump Remainer. Ahem

Boris Johnson: 'The only reason I wouldn't visit some parts of New York is the real risk of meeting Donald Trump'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson/12039931/Boris-Johnson-The-only-reason-I-wouldnt-visit-some-parts-of-New-York-is-the-real-risk-of-meeting-Donald-Trump.html
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,208
    edited June 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

I'm genuinely stunned that someone as bright as yourself regularly indulges in this sort of nonsense. It's just silly and childish.

Thank you for the complement regarding brightness, and you are correct that I am being self-indulgent (nobody's paying me to post here), but my point about LEAVE's current campaign being overwhelmingly antiimmigration is surely correct.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

A parliament that cannot set the tax levels it wants is not sovereign. It is much the same a my local council, beholden to a higher power.

Now, it maybe that is what the people of the UK want. We are about to find out.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Estobar said:

LOL Pretty bang on the mark!
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Indigo said:

Charles said:

Cameron won't meet him.

Most of them have the sense to keep their big mouths shut since its looking increasingly probable that he will win, that is the job for the PM's outriders and "sources close to the PM" so that he can deny it with a straight face if it becomes politically awkward.... and its now got a very good chance of becoming politically awkward!
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

Yorkcity said:

I think one of the reasons Cameron has got himself in such a terrible position within his party is that too many people read into 'reform' whatever they wanted, however unrealistic it was. If anyone thought we could reconstitute the EU from the ground up into something completely different they were deluded, and as people now understand, that was never what Cameron and the majority of the political establishment in the UK wanted.
    Of course not. We all know that. All they ever wanted was enough of a change to be able to sell it to the public as reform so they could then win the referendum and have the EU carry on as before on its federalist trajectory.
    Richard surely if remain win they will have to be honest about the federalist trajectory ?
    As the referendum will have highlighted the issues , to a wider more informed public .
    Maybe that is to an optimistic outcome.
    But it's not just this issue where the political class and the media have a weird aversion to telling it like it is. That tendency covers a whole range of subjects.

We collectively need to be more grown up and refuse to allow a situation to continue where a politician being honest is regarded as a gaffe.
    I think that is very true.

One of the advantages of being out of the EU is that when a daft rule comes in (usually inspired by an EU directive which is then copper bottomed, then gold plated and is then put in a large cast iron box by way of guarantee so that Whitehall can feel it's doing its bit) they can't actually blame it on anyone else.

One of the sad things about modern politics is that if a government doesn't look busy people assume that's a bad thing. It isn't. Leaving things alone while we see what the last set of reforms did is a good idea. Constant fiddling so you can demand you're doing something is not helpful.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Indigo said:

Charles said:

Cameron won't meet him.

Yet one more reason for believing that Cameron will be well and truly gone (with or without the help of the John Lewis removals van) well before the Donald's inauguration next January.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

TOPPING said:

Give me a break. The electoral choice was the Pro-EU Tory Party, the Pro-EU Labour Party or the Pro-EU LibDems, you could recently vote for the kippers in some seats, but the chance of them winning that seat was around zero, and you would have to be happy with Farage as PM.
    That's not quite true. In 1983 Labour stood on a manifesto of leaving the EU and got slaughtered. In 2001 William Hague said nothing but 'Save the Pound' and got crushed.

How do you refute the point about IDS? One of the most rabidly anti-EU politicians became leader of one of the major parties, but still didn't have the guts to be open about it. He knew it was electorally toxic.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

PlatoSaid said:

Our family have a Rolls-Royce and when unleaded came out we got a letter from the company helping us to ensure it would run. OK.

If it had been a 1922 model it would have been fine. Pre leaded petrol.

That's the problem with these new fangled ideas. They don't last....
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    OllyT said:

If we do vote Leave I would be inclined to save the gloating till we discover whether the warnings from "the elite" had any validity or not.

Why? The so called elite were giving identical warnings to if we didn't join the Euro and they were wrong, while the warnings from the likes of Hague about the Euro were dismissed as rabid nonsense. Turns out the sceptics were right then and the so called elite were wrong.

Before I think if we will face disaster outside the EU I'd like you to name a nation outside the EU comparable to us that is a disaster.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Quite right. The Tory euro-sceptic hard-right never gave a fig about the poor and the needy and still doesn't. They've just identified, rightly, a social subset imbued with frustration and resentment. Their aim is to channel that frustration towards a proxy target - namely Britain's EU membership. Once that goal is achieved, the Tory hard-right will leave them to their poverty and their crime estates and will never think about them again.
    Hard right my arse, you appear to be glossing over the 30-50% of Labour voters that will be supporting Leave, including a fair chunk of their minorities vote.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

PeterC said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

Indeed. See Scotland. It turns out that what the evil elite said about the dangers of independence was right.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

TOPPING said:

It's a shame you aren't in this country to found an anti-EU party. Oh wait, there is one already. And look, as a result of its efforts, we are all voting on continued membership of the EU.

Seems democracy is working perfectly well over here.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

viewcode said:

PlatoSaid said:

Seriously, Why? Explain to me the rationale for anyone with racist views would vote Remain? Better still point me to someone with racist views that is advocating a Remain vote.
  • Options

OllyT said:

Indigo said:

Charles said:

Cameron won't meet him.

Boris Johnson: 'The only reason I wouldn't visit some parts of New York is the real risk of meeting Donald Trump'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson/12039931/Boris-Johnson-The-only-reason-I-wouldnt-visit-some-parts-of-New-York-is-the-real-risk-of-meeting-Donald-Trump.html
    TSE - You sometimes seem to change your Profile Picture more often than you change your underpants.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

PlatoSaid said:

If it had been a 1922 model it would have been fine. Pre leaded petrol.

That's the problem with these new fangled ideas. They don't last....
    Another post that shows we need the like button back.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

I don't think that is the way IDS works.
  • Options

Indigo said:

TOPPING said:

That's not quite true. In 1983 Labour stood on a manifesto of leaving the EU and got slaughtered. In 2001 William Hague said nothing but 'Save the Pound' and got crushed.

How do you refute the point about IDS? One of the most rabidly anti-EU politicians became leader of one of the major parties, but still didn't have the guts to be open about it. He knew it was electorally toxic.
    Because it is only in the last decade that it has become clear from Greece to Italy to Spain and more that the EU is failing all around us. While the UK which was mean to be a failure if we didn't join the Euro has instead boomed past the failing Euro projects.

The evidence is that the EU is not working.
  • Options

Charles said:

Cameron won't meet him.
    He will have to. Just as he had to stand next to Sadiq. I think Charles is onto something.
    Several of us did say that appearing with Saqid and praising him was a total distraction, and lo it came to pass when brought up on Thursday on Sky.

You can't claim someone is an extremist cuddler, then two weeks later hug them as a great mate fellow traveller. Just beyond stupid.

No one's said it was a melding of Labour/Tory for Remain - it's been all about the disingenuous faux camaraderie.
  • Options

OllyT said:

PeterC said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:

Indeed. See Scotland. It turns out that what the evil elite said about the dangers of independence was right.
    The only problem is that we can't be sure that any problems have derived from leaving the EU - unless we have half the UK remain and half leave (which seems sensible given the polling) - and see what happens.
  • Options

Charles said:

Cameron won't meet him.
    Of course Cameron won't meet Trump. What a stupid idea. Even if they only give a nod to diplomatic niceties, which they may not, Cameron's lot only have to say, 'Sorry PMs frightfully busy with other engagements today. Sorry, but was all arranged a long time ago. Better luck next time, eh?' End of story.
  • Options

Indigo said:

TOPPING said:

Electorally toxic a decade and a half ago, time moves on.

You cite three elections in which singularly uncharismatic candidates with daft policies (which 30 years ago may well have included leaving the EU) lost elections, hardly a shocker. Thirty years ago more than three quarters of the population didn't want immigration reduced and a half want it reduced by a lot, times move on.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Indigo said:

TOPPING said:

It's a shame you aren't in this country to found an anti-EU party. Oh wait, there is one already. And look, as a result of its efforts, we are all voting on continued membership of the EU.

You appear to be preempting the referendum just a little there. Are you aiming to the the IOS of the Eu Ref ;)
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

viewcode said:

PlatoSaid said:

To meet the Cameron pledge of immigration being reduced to tens of thousands , even if all immigration from the EU ceased , immigration from the rest of the world would have to be cut by around half from the 188,000 last year . As non EU nationals in employment in the UK increased by only 5,000 in 2015 a substantial % of non EU migrants clearly do not come here for work related reasons .
  • Options

OllyT said:

Indigo said:

Charles said:

Cameron won't meet him.

Farage has endorsed Trump though
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/649917/Nigel-Farage-backs-Donald-Trump-race-Whitehouse
  • Options

Indigo said:

TOPPING said:

Mr. Glenn, I rather think that Labour's stance on the EEC (it wasn't the Eu then, remember) had nothing to do with it losing the 1983 election. There were rather more important issues on the voter's minds at that time.

As was pointed out upthread this month is the first time that all voters have the chance to vote on the issue of membership of the EU.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Harsh

Those Bullingdon Boys can afford to lose it....
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Because it is only in the last decade that it has become clear from Greece to Italy to Spain and more that the EU is failing all around us. While the UK which was mean to be a failure if we didn't join the Euro has instead boomed past the failing Euro projects.

Then it's our duty as one of the pillars of European civilisation, history and power, to play our part in making it work better. We've never been a country of shirkers, saying 'Not my problem guv' and cutting ourselves off from our neighbours.

If you think the UK is booming, why change our current position in the EU but outside the Eurozone?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

TOPPING said:

Indigo said:

TOPPING said:

You appear to be preempting the referendum just a little there. Are you aiming to the the IOS of the Eu Ref ;)
    LOL.

We have a referendum, thanks to Nigel. It's difficult to maintain we are under the oppressive EU yoke when we have every opportunity now to vote the UK out of the EU.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Sean_F said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

viewcode said:

PlatoSaid said:

Seriously, Why? Explain to me the rationale for anyone with racist views would vote Remain? Better still point me to someone with racist views that is advocating a Remain vote.
    Jeremy Corbyn, Seumus Milne, John McDonnell, Gerry Adams, Martin McGuiness.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

viewcode said:

PlatoSaid said:

Oh dear me. What silly nonsense. So Remainers who favour Caucasian immigration aren't?

I think the Leavers argument is a whole lot stronger. And trying to label either as waycist is childish and lacking in nuance. Leavers don't call Remainers waycists unless they're accused of it themselves.

Just stop it. It's so 90s.
  • Options

Harsh

Yup. I'm sure former Buller boy, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson formerly of Eton, Oxford, Editor of the Spectator, and Mayor of London can afford it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

Indigo said:

Charles said:

Cameron won't meet him.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/649917/Nigel-Farage-backs-Donald-Trump-race-Whitehouse
    That's good. So the Leavers were sniggering over the theoretical embarrassment Cameron would get if forced to meet Trump, only to find that their leader is one of his chief sponsors. It's all rather amusing.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798

Then it's our duty as one of the pillars of European civilisation, history and power, to play our part in making it work better. We've never been a country of shirkers, saying 'Not my problem guv' and cutting ourselves off from our neighbours.
    Are you suggesting we invade Germany ?
  • Options

Harsh

If the punter in question had known anything about betting markets, he'd have been able to obtain better odds of 2/5 elsewhere.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

No its our duty to forge a better alternative.

If we could reform the EU then great. If Cameron meaningfully had done so then great. But the EU has not been meaningfully reformed even when this referendum was at the end of the process. So if not now, then realistically when?

Outside the EU just like outside the Euro we can demonstrate the fear mongers to be wrong and forge a better alternative path. Give hope to those afraid themselves to cut loose and try something different.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

viewcode said:

PlatoSaid said:

To meet the Cameron pledge of immigration being reduced to tens of thousands , even if all immigration from the EU ceased , immigration from the rest of the world would have to be cut by around half from the 188,000 last year . As non EU nationals in employment in the UK increased by only 5,000 in 2015 a substantial % of non EU migrants clearly do not come here for work related reasons .
    o_O How does that work ?

Worrying.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Immigration isn't as Remainers like to portray it Get The Darkies Out, it's about pressure on house prices, rents, maternity services, school places, our culture, jobs and prospects and on ...

As we've seen on here, Remain and Leave have two entirely different value sets. ...

I'd happily lose economicallys,.....

Actually Remain cannot win with LabourGE2015 voters alone, it needs a majority of them but it needs small c conservative GE2015 voters to get over 50% and win the referendum. Leave also need those voters in the same way to add to UKIP voters and get to over 50%. It is small c conservative voters who will decide the referendum and are the key swing voters, not Labour voters and not UKIP voters. Remain need to get aat least around 45% of small c conservatives to win, Leave equally need to win close to 60% of those same small c conservatives if they are to win
    The ICM Phone poll of 27th-29th May2016 had a 2% lead for LEAVE with a vote split for Cons of 45% LEAVE and 43% REMAIN (without removing the DK). Key is that UKIP provide a large base with 15%+ of all voters to build LEAVE from. To get LEAVE to 51% the three biggest components I have (expressed as % of all voters) are:-
    Con 19.2%, Labour 5.2%, UKIP 21.2% Turnout for UKIP topping 75% with overall turnout 60.0%.

• Options
    Yorkcity said:

I watched the Sky News debate , thought Michael Gove was good , even with a difficult hand regarding the economy.
    If leave win , I hope he changes his mind regarding becoming PM.
    As he seems a man of principle , who hopefully will negotiate what is required for the UK.

Have to agree with you. I thought he was far too swottish before and he proved me wrong.

I have to reassess him. If he doesn't want to be PM, he certainly proven himself for another top job. CoE or FSec
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

viewcode said:

PlatoSaid said:

o_O How does that work ?

Worrying.
    A lot come here to study not work.
  • Options

Indigo said:

TOPPING said:

In 2001 the Tories were well behind for months before the campaign started. In November- December 2000 it was 34 - 48 usually - and we were living in the fools paradise of Gordon Brown's spend now pay later economics.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044

Harsh

If the punter in question had known anything about betting markets, he'd have been able to obtain better odds of 2/5 elsewhere.
    Wish I could afford to chuck away £777 like that !
  • Options
    Indigo said:

PlatoSaid said:

Hard right my arse, you appear to be glossing over the 30-50% of Labour voters that will be supporting Leave, including a fair chunk of their minorities vote.
    I never said the hard-right was unsuccessful in corralling those whom they despise. Quite the opposite.
  • Options

OllyT said:

Indigo said:

Charles said:

Cameron won't meet him.

Yet one more reason for believing that Cameron will be well and truly gone (with or without the help of the John Lewis removals van) well before the Donald's inauguration next January.
    There's a lot of counting chickens on here at the moment both by Leavers and Trump for POTUS rampers. I am quietly confident neither will happen but both will be closer than many originally thought.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Harsh

Wish I could afford to chuck away £777 like that !
    A fool and his money are soon parted - which raises the question of how did the fool get the money in the first place.
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    Pulpstar said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

viewcode said:

PlatoSaid said:

o_O How does that work ?

Worrying.
    The other way of meeting the pledge is of course, outside the EU, to negotiate freer movement with prosperous English-speaking countries of the type Britons might want to go to, as well as keeping as much as possible with Western Europe. You can meet a net pledge by reducing in or by increasing out.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

viewcode said:

PlatoSaid said:

o_O How does that work ?

Worrying.
    A lot come here to study not work.
    The figures exclude short term migration for study purposes .
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

That's very easy for someone not in work to say.
  • Options

Harsh

Yup. I'm sure former Buller boy, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson formerly of Eton, Oxford, Editor of the Spectator, and Mayor of London can afford it.
    I am sure Boris's wealth is small change compared to David William Donald Cameron, son of the wealth stockbroker and grandson of Alexander Geddes wealthy businessman and owner of Blairmore House, married to Samantha Gwendoline Sheffield stepdaughter of William Waldorf Astor III, 4th Viscount Astor who grew up in a 350 acre stately home.
  • Options

Indigo said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

viewcode said:

PlatoSaid said:

I had not thought of it in that way, but you are true. As in the suggestions that "These are our european brothers and sisters our kith and kin, we are european".
    I watched the lady in blue on last night's debate really closely. She's of Asian descent and tried to argue Leave were racist using coded language. Gove said those from India, Pakistan or Bengal would be just as eligible as everyone else to apply to live here caused her face to change - it became an uncomfortable mask.

She didn't want to believe it, Brexiteers are all horrible blah blah. Her viewpoint wasn't changed, but the point was made.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

Indigo said:

Charles said:

Cameron won't meet him.

That's good. So the Leavers were sniggering over the theoretical embarrassment Cameron would get if forced to meet Trump, only to find that their leader is one of his chief sponsors. It's all rather amusing.
    For Farage though it is not an embarrassment, UKIP voters are the only UK voters polled who like Trump
  • Options

No its our duty to forge a better alternative.

If we could reform the EU then great. If Cameron meaningfully had done so then great. But the EU has not been meaningfully reformed even when this referendum was at the end of the process. So if not now, then realistically when?

Outside the EU just like outside the Euro we can demonstrate the fear mongers to be wrong and forge a better alternative path. Give hope to those afraid themselves to cut loose and try something different.
    I believe it's a major error of judgement to regard the EU as something transitory like the USSR that will eventually disintegrate in calamitous failure. If people are voting Leave on that basis they are potentially putting Britain straight back on the path of relative decline which were only able to stop after we joined the Community.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

viewcode said:

PlatoSaid said:

o_O How does that work ?

Worrying.
    The other way of meeting the pledge is of course, outside the EU, to negotiate freer movement with prosperous English-speaking countries of the type Britons might want to go to, as well as keeping as much as possible with Western Europe. You can meet a net pledge by reducing in or by increasing out.
    Yes lets keep all brownies out , only allow in Canadians , Aussies and US whitie English speakers .
This discussion has been closed.