Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn found his voice on Thursday. Unfortunately, it was e

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited June 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn found his voice on Thursday. Unfortunately, it was echoed by his supporters

Alistair Campbell would be turning in his grave were it not for the fact that he’s not dead. Not only did the Labour supporters booing the BBC’s Laura Kuenssberg at Jeremy Corbyn’s speech on Thursday drive the wedge between party and media that bit further but it distracted from the main purpose of the event, which was for the Labour leader to add his weight to the Remain camp.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,456
    First like Andy Murray
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    If you're complaining about the media, you're losing...
  • Options
    Hertsmere_PubgoerHertsmere_Pubgoer Posts: 3,476
    edited June 2016
    2nd like Remain.
    Edit: Drat!
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

2nd like Remain.

Sorry ;)
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited June 2016
    David Herdson- pb tory and apostate!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207
    Bring back Ed Miliband.
  • Options
    David Herdson- part of the wight wing press and mainstream media!
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944
    Typical right wing red tory propaganda this. Corbyn is going to storm something... soon... Not sure what, but he will, mark my words! ;)
  • Options

2nd like Remain.

Sorry ;)
    Serves me right for not hitting f5 before posting *blush*
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346
    edited June 2016

Then the right must have been losing for the last 40 years or so.

Complaining about the BBC can definitely be a good strategy, though it needs you to have supportive parts of the media to back up the claim. Corbynites just have twitter and bits of the Guardian, so they've got problems.

Particularly since they're sort of right. BBC political news journalists don't have much time for them. Though possibly they don't have much time for them because the Corbynites are crap, which isn't really bias.
  • Options
    Interesting EU poll:
    https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/06/02/europe-if-britain-leaves-others-will-follow/

If we go, other EU countries people think others will follow.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    The latest YouGov Eurotrack results offer a perspective on how ordinary people around Europe view the future of the EU post-Brexit.

A majority of the population in every country polled except Finland - and a tendency even in Finland - believe it is likely more countries will choose to leave the EU in the event of a Brexit. Swedes (69%) are the most likely to think other EU countries will follow the UK out the EU, closely followed by the Danes (66%).

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/06/02/europe-if-britain-leaves-others-will-follow/
  • Options
    William_H said:

Then the right must have been losing for the last 40 years or so.

Complaining about the BBC can definitely be a good strategy, though it needs you to have supportive parts of the media to back up the claim. Corbynites just have twitter and bits of the Guardian, so they've got problems.

Particularly since they're sort of right. BBC political news journalists don't have much time for them. Though possibly they don't have much time for them because the Corbynites are crap, which isn't really bias.
    Well, yes but that's because there is little to have time for.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Watching Corbyn's speeches and answers now, the most striking thing is just how tedious he is. How did Labour members and supporters manage to convince themselves that he was something new and exciting?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited June 2016
    Team Corbyn summed up in 90 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cTZb0zScwE
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,375

Interesting EU poll:

If we go it will break up the EU in time
  • Options

Interesting EU poll:

Well, given how hard we have tried to stop it doing stupid things and tried reform, I wonder if that wouldn't be a good thing.
  • Options

Watching Corbyn's speeches and answers now, the most striking thing is just how tedious he is. How did Labour members and supporters manage to convince themselves that he was something new and exciting?

I paid £3 to vote for him - money well spent?

*evil laughter*
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Interesting EU poll:

Maybe, Big G, but would that be a bad thing and why should we care? See also Mr. White's post.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    The first episode of Chris Evans’s new-look Top Gear was rated by viewers as the worst programme on terrestrial television last weekend, according to internal BBC audience data leaked to the Daily Telegraph.

No other programme on the main terrestrial broadcasters was given such a low score last weekend, and an AI score of 60 puts Top Gear on a par with Daybreak, the ill-fated ITV breakfast show that was axed in 2014.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/03/top-gear-worst-programme-of-last-weekend-say-viewers/

I am sure SHOUTY MC-SHOUTY FACE will be on twitter shortly to tell us it is all nonsense and FACT top gear is a hit.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Typical right wing red tory propaganda this. Corbyn is going to storm something... soon... Not sure what, but he will, mark my words! ;)

A teacup
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    edited June 2016

The first episode of Chris Evans’s new-look Top Gear was rated by viewers as the worst programme on terrestrial television last weekend, according to internal BBC audience data leaked to the Daily Telegraph.

No other programme on the main terrestrial broadcasters was given such a low score last weekend, and an AI score of 60 puts Top Gear on a par with Daybreak, the ill-fated ITV breakfast show that was axed in 2014.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/03/top-gear-worst-programme-of-last-weekend-say-viewers/

I am sure SHOUTY MC-SHOUTY FACE will be on twitter shortly to tell us it is all nonsense and FACT top gear is a hit.

That's only because This Week wasn't on.....

oh, it's only weekend telly.. lol :D
  • Options
    In search of a global-scale alignment of the progressive forces
    http://bit.ly/21bihJl
  • Options
    I just went onto YouTube to watch a mathematics video (it's OK, watching programmes about mathematics at 23:30 is perfectly normal - at least for some value of normal). So on this obscure YouTube channel I get greeted not by some nice lady talking about a beautiful bit of mathematics but by a bloody advert - in which David Cameron is telling me not to worry about Turkey joining the EU.

Cameron in a video YouTube advert! On a mathematics channel! Talking about how I shouldn't worry about Turkey joining the EU!

Golly. Someone is worried.
  • Options
    Corbyn is definitely winning me over - and nobody could be more surprised about that than I am.

I'm not sure that I'm saying that I'm quite ready to vote Labour for the first time ever (as strongly disliking them for all my life up to now is quite a mental hurdle to get over) but I'm certainly feeling a pull towards them that I've never felt before.

I wanted to vote Labour in the local elections last month but couldn't quite make the psychological leap in the polling booth when the pencil was in my hand. Strange times.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-03/trump-plans-to-travel-to-u-k-day-before-brexit-referendum

Trump's changed the date of his UK visit to the day before the referendum.
  • Options

I just went onto YouTube to watch a mathematics video (it's OK, watching programmes about mathematics at 23:30 is perfectly normal - at least for some value of normal). So on this obscure YouTube channel I get greeted not by some nice lady talking about a beautiful bit of mathematics but by a bloody advert - in which David Cameron is telling me not to worry about Turkey joining the EU.

Cameron in a video YouTube advert! On a mathematics channel! Talking about how I shouldn't worry about Turkey joining the EU!

The ads may be based on what you've been browsing, rather than what the channel is about. :p
  • Options

A teacup
    Ah yes that was it. Tea with honey. No doubt he has a hive on his allotment.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    "though it can also easily tend to produce splits over arcane, meaningless points that the rest of the world would regard as of no great importance"

Mr Herdson, in describing Corbyn and his clique, you might well have been describing Lenin's management of the Communist party before they came to power.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-03/trump-plans-to-travel-to-u-k-day-before-brexit-referendum

I am sure he won't have anything to say on the matter...given he is such a quiet retiring type.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

It's patently absurd that the BBC should be the outfit compiling the viewership of its own programming.

There needs to be an independent outfit doing that, like Nielsen.
  • Options

Is he trying to win friends and influence people? I'd rather he didn't. I don't like foreigners interfering in other peoples elections.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited June 2016
    @nunu

Please please do me a favour and don't do that looooooooo... Thing you do on last thread. It completely fecked up my I phone for the entire thread and made it unreadable. ( on top of the nesting issues)

even if I did agree with your sentiment. :smile:
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    For once I entirely disagree with David - and I've never shrunk from talking to anyone, including BNP supporters and people who explicitly thought I should be locked up.

1. The "hissing" was a very short interruption by a small number of people who, contrary to what David writes, were immediately hushed by Corbyn. MPs put up with far worse in any well-attended Commons debate. Nor are journalists generally shrinking violets, intimidated by the reaction of a few random strangers. It's not a good thing that someone is rude, not least as it encourages reporting the event as a process story, but it's also not a big deal.
    2. Short of total stage management, it's literally impossible to guarantee that nobody in a large audience will not say or do something you don't entirely like - all you can really do is tell them to stop it.
    3. The decision not to share a platform with the Tories on the EU is both a direct lesson from the Scottish referendum, when it proved to be nearly suicidal, and also in the interest of providing a distinctive non-Tory case for Remain. Otherwise we'd be hearing all about the Establishment parties ganging up together. For Sadiq to do it is one thing, but the party leader should avoid it, and I'd advise the same whoever the leader was.

The point I do agree with is that it's worth putting more effort into media outreach than is currently being done. But imposing omerta on party gatherings is not the way to do it. If the worst that anyone in political debate encounters is the odd hiss, not many will genuinely be very affronted. The journalists who I know are much more worried and annoyed about pressure on their editors by spin doctors of all sides - something which David paradoxically argues was the perfect strategy, and which is actually not (so far as I know) being done by Labour at the moment.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Team Corbyn summed up in 90 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cTZb0zScwE

"If they want to get rid of him then...err ummm... Let Jeremy fail in his own time"

Ye fecking gods... :astonished:
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Donald Trump should not poke his nose into the affairs of the British people.

Interestingly Chuka Umunna has claimed in a debate held by the Daily Express that there will be no EU army. I don't know why these Eurofanatics insist on denying what everyone else in Europe openly admits to.
  • Options

For once I entirely disagree with David - and I've never shrunk from talking to anyone, including BNP supporters and people who explicitly thought I should be locked up.

1. The "hissing" was a very short interruption by a small number of people who, contrary to what David writes, were immediately hushed by Corbyn. MPs put up with far worse in any well-attended Commons debate. Nor are journalists generally shrinking violets, intimidated by the reaction of a few random strangers. It's not a good thing that someone is rude, not least as it encourages reporting the event as a process story, but it's also not a big deal.
    2. Short of total stage management, it's literally impossible to guarantee that nobody in a large audience will not say or do something you don't entirely like - all you can really do is tell them to stop it.
    3. The decision not to share a platform with the Tories on the EU is both a direct lesson from the Scottish referendum, when it proved to be nearly suicidal, and also in the interest of providing a distinctive non-Tory case for Remain. Otherwise we'd be hearing all about the Establishment parties ganging up together. For Sadiq to do it is one thing, but the party leader should avoid it, and I'd advise the same whoever the leader was.

The point I do agree with is that it's worth putting more effort into media outreach than is currently being done. But imposing omerta on party gatherings is not the way to do it. If the worst that anyone in political debate encounters is the odd hiss, not many will genuinely be very affronted. The journalists who I know are much more worried and annoyed about pressure on their editors by spin doctors of all sides - something which David paradoxically argues was the perfect strategy, and which is actually not (so far as I know) being done by Labour at the moment.

Interesting points Nick though there is form from the Corbyn/McDonnel camps to dislike the media. I do agree that there is too much spin politics though.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Donald Trump should not poke his nose into the affairs of the British people.

Interestingly Chuka Umunna has claimed in a debate held by the Daily Express that there will be no EU army. I don't know why these Eurofanatics insist on denying what everyone else in Europe openly admits to.

"It's only a trading agreement to make selling stuff to each other easier"

Anyway enough about FIFA what about the EU?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    RobD said:

The ads may be based on what you've been browsing, rather than what the channel is about. :p
    Thanks for that Mr. D. Is that browsing generally (in which case PB might come into play) or just YouTube (in which case it would not make sense given what I watch over there - essentially mathematics, history, classical music and a little chemistry).

If the former how the hell do the people who stream YouTube Ads know that I am interested in politics? Aside from My IP address there is no connection between my identity on here and my identity on YouTube.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Corbyn is definitely winning me over - and nobody could be more surprised about that than I am.

I'm not sure that I'm saying that I'm quite ready to vote Labour for the first time ever (as strongly disliking them for all my life up to now is quite a mental hurdle to get over) but I'm certainly feeling a pull towards them that I've never felt before.

I wanted to vote Labour in the local elections last month but couldn't quite make the psychological leap in the polling booth when the pencil was in my hand. Strange times.

I have the opposite reaction. I desperately want to feel able to vote Labour. There's no mental hurdle for me - I've voted for LD, Lab and Con in the past. I think the Conservatives are going to choose a leader from their right-wing that I will detest. But I think Corbyn is malevolent, self-regarding and very very stupid. In a forced choice I would have to opt for almost any alternative.

We are going to need to rebuild the pragmatic centre ground that David talks about. I don't think it can be done in either the Conservative or Labour parties.
  • Options

RobD said:

Thanks for that Mr. D. Is that browsing generally (in which case PB might come into play) or just YouTube (in which case it would not make sense given what I watch over there - essentially mathematics, history, classical music and a little chemistry).

If the former how the hell do the people who stream YouTube Ads know that I am interested in politics? Aside from My IP address there is no connection between my identity on here and my identity on YouTube.
    The user whose videos you are watching doesn't control what ads they include, youtube itself does that. It is based on all web browsing, at least where you are tracked with cookies, not just youtube. And you are tracked by IP address. You can get software that blocks tracking cookies like this, and you'll be shown generic adverts.
  • Options

RobD said:

Google knows everything about you....
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

@nunu

Please please do me a favour and don't do that looooooooo... Thing you do on last thread. It completely fecked up my I phone for the entire thread and made it unreadable. ( on top of the nesting issues)

even if I did agree with your sentiment. :smile:

OK sorry wont do it again :)
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

Exactly. There are plenty of charismatic, magnetic hard-left fantasists. He is not blessed with such charm.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,002

RobD said:

It interrogates your browser history and tailors the ads based on what you have been browsing.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

I am sure he won't have anything to say on the matter...given he is such a quiet retiring type.
    He may do a poetry reading if we're lucky.
  • Options

RobD said:

Thanks for that Mr. D. Is that browsing generally (in which case PB might come into play) or just YouTube (in which case it would make sense given what I watch over there - essentially mathematics, history, classical music and a little chemistry).

YouTube, which is owned by Google, decides what ads to show you based on whatever "signal" it has about you. If you don't have a Google account then it's probably just your browsing history. If you use Google services like Gmail and such (which I do myself) then it will have a lot more to go on.

A lot of people find this creepy. Personally I quite like it because I know I'm going to see ads anyway so they may as well be things that (potentially) interest me.
  • Options
    Another good thread by the ever reliable David.

What makes me think that in a few months' time we'll all be wishing for the immediate return of Dave Cameron and Ed Miliband, nostalgic for better days?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited June 2016

"So, punk, your parliament of maladjusted intellectual pygmies wasted a whole day ejaculating over some motion, intending to ban me from your shores. Like, whatever happened to it? Does anyone know for sure?

Whatever... I'm here now. So, maybe you can receive me at Downing Street with the respect due to a possible POTUS. Wanna act the jerk, instead?

Hey Man, no problem.

Where's the nearest mike? I feel a press conference coming on... Some kinda vote happening tomorrow, so I hear..."
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

"So, punk, your parliament of maladjusted intellectual pygmies wasted a whole day ejaculating over some motion intending to ban me from your shores. Like, whatever happened to it? Does anyone know for sure?

Whatever... I'm here now. So, maybe you can receive me at Downing Street with the respect due to a possible POTUS. Wanna act the jerk, instead?

Hey Man, no problem.

Where's the nearest mike? I feel a press conference coming on..."
    I note the Trumpet had slid back a point a so in the polling. Not much. But we are thankful for small mercies!
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

RodCrosby said:

"So, punk, your parliament of maladjusted intellectual pygmies wasted a whole day ejaculating over some motion intending to ban me from your shores. Like, whatever happened to it? Does anyone know for sure?

Hey Man, no problem.

Where's the nearest mike? I feel a press conference coming on..."
    I note the Trumpet had slid back a point a so in the polling. Not much. But we are thankful for small mercies!
    How many points has Clinton slid back? :D
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568
    Jobabob said:

What makes me think that in a few months' time we'll all be wishing for the immediate return of Dave Cameron and Ed Miliband, nostalgic for better days?

I don't know, but it's probably best dealt with in consultation with a member of the psychiatric profession.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

"So, punk, your parliament of maladjusted intellectual pygmies wasted a whole day ejaculating over some motion, intending to ban me from your shores. Like, whatever happened to it? Does anyone know for sure?

Hey Man, no problem.

Where's the nearest mike? I feel a press conference coming on... Some kinda vote happening tomorrow, so I hear..."
    I think Cameron would be delighted if Trump would identify himself strongly with Leave.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

I have the opposite reaction. I desperately want to feel able to vote Labour. There's no mental hurdle for me - I've voted for LD, Lab and Con in the past. I think the Conservatives are going to choose a leader from their right-wing that I will detest. But I think Corbyn is malevolent, self-regarding and very very stupid. In a forced choice I would have to opt for almost any alternative.

We are going to need to rebuild the pragmatic centre ground that David talks about. I don't think it can be done in either the Conservative or Labour parties.

It could be done in either, Mr. Wanderer, in fact I hope it is because it will be quicker to happen than building a whole new party.

Look at the "Patrick Party" manifesto, the discussion which was so horribly cut off by the mods on this site as it was gaining traction. Aside from the usual tribalist nutters, I would expect that the huge majority of people on here and in the real world would vote for that party if it existed.

Now that party doesn't exist, probably never will exist, but its "unique selling point" (to borrow from Roger's jargon) was not that it sat on the mythical centre ground (which only exists in the minds of people who think of politics as two dimensional) but in the common ground that bit of the 3D world where most of us actually live.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

It could be done in either, Mr. Wanderer, in fact I hope it is because it will be quicker to happen than building a whole new party.

Look at the "Patrick Party" manifesto, the discussion which was so horribly cut off by the mods on this site as it was gaining traction. Aside from the usual tribalist nutters, I would expect that the huge majority of people on here and in the real world would vote for that party if it existed.

Now that party doesn't exist, probably never will exist, but its "unique selling point" (to borrow from Roger's jargon) was not that it sat on the mythical centre ground (which only exists in the minds of people who think of politics as two dimensional) but in the common ground that bit of the 3D world where most of us actually live.
    Well I didn't see that manifesto but if it is centred around Patrick's views then I assume it's far out to the right?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

I already am, and Cameron isn't even gone yet.
  • Options
  • Options
    Are you sure he isn't just a European Farage? :D

Loved the comparing ties bit.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

RodCrosby said:

Hey Man, no problem.

I think Cameron would be delighted if Trump would identify himself strongly with Leave.
    And do you think Trump would be so unsubtle?

"Remember your vote tomorrow, folks. Lyin' Dave... Bible high, we're better off in the EU..."
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    Wanderer said:

Clegg's LDs were absolutely dead centre, what did they get for their troubles? 8 seats and 7.9% of the vote!
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Wanderer said:

RodCrosby said:

Hey Man, no problem.

"Remember your vote tomorrow, folks. Lyin' Dave... Bible high, we're better off in the EU..."
    Sunil J. Prasannan "Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of EU directives entering UK Law, until the Great British Public's representatives can figure out what the hell is going on!"
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Twitter tells me that Muhammad Ali is gravely ill in a hospital in Phoenix and that his family have been told to expect the worst.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Gosh two quick replies then I am commanded to be off the Computer by Herself.

Firstly my thanks to all for the way adverts YouTube actually work. I find it much less "creepy" (tm Wanderer) now I understand the process a little more.

Secondly, and for Wanderer in particular, the Patrick Party Manifesto was certainly not "far out to the right". People from the Left and the Right were saying they would be happy to sign up to it.

It is amazing how much common ground there is once we can dump the labels and the tribalism.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

Twitter tells me that Muhammad Ali is gravely ill in a hospital in Phoenix and that his family have been told to expect the worst.

Yes, it has also been on the news. Very sad.
  • Options

Firstly my thanks to all for the way adverts YouTube actually work. I find it much less "creepy" (tm Wanderer) now I understand the process a little more.

Secondly, and for Wanderer in particular, the Patrick Party Manifesto was certainly not "far out to the right". People from the Left and the Right were saying they would be happy to sign up to it.

It is amazing how much common ground their is once we can dump the labels and the tribalism.

Was the 'Patrick Party' any different to UKIP?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Wanderer said:

RodCrosby said:

Hey Man, no problem.

I think the majority of British voters have a strongly held negative view of Trump. It wouldn't matter what he said. His schtick works in his own country but he's not our cup of tea.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

It is amazing how much common ground their is once we can dump the labels and the tribalism.

Yes. He is here most days, why don't you ask him to republish then you can see for yourself.
  • Options

It is amazing how much common ground there is once we can dump the labels and the tribalism.

Thanks. I will look it up and have a read.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Wanderer said:

RodCrosby said:

Hey Man, no problem.

"He'll be gone soon, folks, and I won't have to deal with him when I next come back here as POTUS..."
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    The EU is likely to ban all diesel and petrol cars by ~ 2030 I reckon.

Now much as I might consider a Tesla one day I'd like the choice...
  • Options
    Ok watched it. Then watched it again.

Please tell me this is a spoof. I can't see how it's a spoof but what the hell?

"Last night, sensational video emerged showing Juncker obviously drunk in public, hopping from foot to foot and slapping other EU leaders. A second member of the “Five Presidents”, Donald Tusk, stands next to him looking uneasy"

http://heatst.com/uk/five-presidents-eus-jean-claude-juncker-drunk-in-public-slaps-leaders/

Well at least I can vote him out the next time the election comes around.....

Oh wait...
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    JohnLoony said:

I fear 2016 is not going to be renowned as a good year.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

"Last night, sensational video emerged showing Juncker obviously drunk in public, hopping from foot to foot and slapping other EU leaders. A second member of the “Five Presidents”, Donald Tusk, stands next to him looking uneasy"

http://heatst.com/uk/five-presidents-eus-jean-claude-juncker-drunk-in-public-slaps-leaders/

Oh wait...
    I just don't understand how anyone could put him in charge of a whelk stall!
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

JohnLoony said:

I fear 2016 is not going to be renowned as a good year.
    I think that Grim Reaper bloke has been put on performance related pay...
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

RodCrosby said:

Wanderer said:

RodCrosby said:

Hey Man, no problem.

I think the majority of British voters have a strongly held negative view of Trump. It wouldn't matter what he said. His schtick works in his own country but he's not our cup of tea.
    UKIP voters have a positive view of Trump
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Oh wait...
    I just don't understand how anyone could put him in charge of a whelk stall!
    All leave have to do is play that over and over and over again.

Better still...Speed it up and put it to Benny Hill music and it will certainly resonance.
  • Options
    EstobarEstobar Posts: 558
    Just watched the debate. That's a pretty damned impressive performance by Gove. Wow.

I used to dislike him immensely. This was impressive.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

RodCrosby said:

Wanderer said:

RodCrosby said:

Hey Man, no problem.

They're already voting Leave.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Yes. He is here most days, why don't you ask him to republish then you can see for yourself.
    If I am around at the same time maybe but I fail to see how anyone cannot now roughly fit their views into one of the Greens, Corbyn's Labour, the LDs, Cameron's Tories or UKIP
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If I am around at the same time maybe but I fail to see how anyone cannot now roughly fit their views into one of the Greens, Corbyn's Labour, the LDs, Cameron's Tories or UKIP
    Well, I'm contemplating a post-Leave scenario in which Cameron's Tories have moved to the right and effectively merged with UKIP. Then you have a chasm between far left and far right with, er, Tim Farron in the middle.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Wanderer said:

RodCrosby said:

Wanderer said:

RodCrosby said:

Hey Man, no problem.

Trump has lit a flame that will leap around the world, and will certainly lick at the rotten timbers of our own corrupt Establishment.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

RodCrosby said:

Wanderer said:

RodCrosby said:

Hey Man, no problem.

They're already voting Leave.
    Trump has already said he backs Brexit anyway
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well, I'm contemplating a post-Leave scenario in which Cameron's Tories have moved to the right and effectively merged with UKIP. Then you have a chasm between far left and far right with, er, Tim Farron in the middle.
    I can't see that. You don't have to be a right wing Conservative to think we should be out of the EU whilst UKIP are moving onto Labour's turf in many ways.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

In a post-Leave scenario who knows there may emerge a more centrist force of Remain Tories and LDs but given that Leave would have won the referendum and Clegg's centrist LDs were massacred there would hardly be much demand for it! More likely anyway is a narrow Remain and Cameron followed by May or Hammond
  • Options
    GravitationGravitation Posts: 281
    RobD said:

Are you sure he isn't just a European Farage? :D

Loved the comparing ties bit.
    And there isn't a damn thing we can do to get rid of him.
  • Options
    GravitationGravitation Posts: 281
    RodCrosby said:

Hey Man, no problem.

Had to check the article as couldn't tell whether what you wrote was parody or a genuine quote!
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    Wanderer said:

RodCrosby said:

Wanderer said:

RodCrosby said:

Hey Man, no problem.

According to the betting markets there is around a 40% chance that either Brexit happens or Trump becomes POTUS. However there's a lower than 10% chance of both. Therefore if you hate Trump you should vote Leave.

Well, it's no more ridiculous than a lot of claims in the referendum campaign so far...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

In a post-Leave scenario who knows there may emerge a more centrist force of Remain Tories and LDs but given that Leave would have won the referendum and Clegg's centrist LDs were massacred there would hardly be much demand for it! More likely anyway is a narrow Remain and Cameron followed by May or Hammond
    What is it with centerist remain tories?

The EU is not a left right centre issue. It is a right/wrong issue.

If we left, then that debate would be over. If the remain Conservatives wanted to go off and join the Liberal Democrats they could... but frankly I doubt many would.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited June 2016
    Moses_ said:

Oh wait...

You can indeed. This was the whole argument Cameron had with the other member states where Cameron wanted the various leaders to pick the candidate with the traditional member-state stitch-up whereas the other member states wanted the candidate nominated by the group that got the most votes.

The flaw in this whole thing for British voters is that it's not clear they'll have a way to vote *for* him, since the Tories have left the main centre-right group.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    So another week done, just 3 more weeks of froth to endure. Any more dorries or Bridgens whilst I was away?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What is it with centerist remain tories?

The EU is not a left right centre issue. It is a right/wrong issue.
    Absolutely right. I've been chatting to a Labour constituency chair the past month and he reckons 1/3rd of his members are going to Vote Leave. And those are just the ones to fess up.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

at the British Open a few years ago

You mean The Open...
    We should be thankful enough that the American world deigns to retain the word 'English' for our language without being too pompous, colonial and antediluvian about this sort of nomenclature.

It's the British Open now. Humility trumps arrogance.
  • Options
    Estobar said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

at the British Open a few years ago

You mean The Open...
    We should be thankful enough that the American world deigns to retain the word 'English' for our language without being too pompous, colonial and antediluvian about this sort of nomenclature.

It's the British Open now. Humility trumps arrogance.
    wikipedia (fount of all knowledge) still calls it "The" Open. ;)
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    RIP Cassius Ali.
  • Options

RIP Cassius Ali.

The reaper strikes again. I think we may need to up the number of times we sing our anthem....
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207
    edited June 2016
    As much as I thought Gove did a decent job last night, I think he missed a trick. When he was asked about jobs, he was quite right to say that he can't guarantee that everyone who has a job now will keep it after Brexit. I would have gone further and said - "but the PM and Chancellor are being irresponsible by pretending that remaining in the EU will ensure perpetual economic growth, jobs and prosperity".

Unfortunately, Gove is still in the Cabinet and as such can't be seen to disagree with the status quo too much.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    That's an interesting essay. Well put.
This discussion has been closed.