Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just when you thought June 23rd couldn’t get any more excit

SystemSystem Posts: 11,723
edited June 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just when you thought June 23rd couldn’t get any more exciting

Hedge funds and investment banks have commissioned private exit polls in an attempt to make profits from the result of the UK’s referendum on EU membership next month.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    First, glorious First!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    Second like Remain?
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited June 2016
    The Remainers drag out the fear factor yet again!
    This time it's fear about possible fear!
  • Options
    Surely the government would try to prevent a run on the pound, like they did on Black Wednesday.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Someone's already betting big on the result, Betfair matched over £750,000 yesterday on the referendum Remain/Leave market, there's now more than £17m matched in total, three weeks before the event.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Surely the government would try to prevent a run on the pound, like they did on Black Wednesday.

Even if the run on the pound might encourage undecided voters to vote Remain..?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,221
    So 07:00 to 09:00 Remain takes an early lead and the pound goes up. 09:00 to 17:00 Leave takes a lead and the pound tanks. What happens after that.....

But really, who's going to pay attention to the currency? Will news organisations actually report that the pound is tanking? And will they have prepared the public for this? It's one thing geeks like us watching the currency markets and understanding what's going on. But the vast majority of people - many of whom will be generally well informed - won't have a clue about this unless the media go out of their way to tell people about it.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Sandpit said:

Someone's already betting big on the result, Betfair matched over £750,000 yesterday on the referendum Remain/Leave market, there's now more than £17m matched in total, three weeks before the event.

:open_mouth:
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Good point, bed for me I think :D

Edit: Well, why not the other way around? ;)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,221
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Good point, bed for me I think :D

Edit: Well, why not the other way around? ;)
    But for it to make a difference they would need to tell people that we'll know how the vote is going by looking at the value of the pound. I don't know the election rules but I'd imagine news organisations will need to be very careful about what they report.

In fact, is it possible to cease trading on the pound for 24 hours?
  • Options
    Remain are claiming on Sky that a point based system would put up immigration.

Someone's been on the sauce early.
  • Options
    EstobarEstobar Posts: 558
    I know someone on the inside of this and Brexit has already pretty much been factored into the markets. It's a Y2k scenario. Bugger all will happen when Leave win.

When? I hear you cry. Yep. I think it's all over. If Remain were going to win it's like Dave Bedford running the 10,000 metres. Should have been one lap ahead at this stage, not starting to drop behind.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,785
    Can someone explain how this wouldn't be insider trading?
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

Because it's information anyone can get if they are willing to do some research. It's not privileged information. Totally fine.
  • Options

Because it's information anyone can get if they are willing to do some research. It's not privileged information. Totally fine.
    Yeah, no one is stopping anyone else from doing their own polls and acting accordingly.

On the point of suspending trading in Sterling. I don't think that's possible? At least not totally.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Remain are claiming on Sky that a point based system would put up immigration.

Someone's been on the sauce early.

Farcical proposition. Having been through a points based system I know that the passing score is adjusted every month to keep the numbers getting through at your target level
  • Options
    That ICM double online and phone poll, both showing a Leave 3% lead is pretty seismic really, isn't it?

And yet another day of papers dominated by this Channel migration crisis. Think this doesn't play out into voting intentions ...?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yeah, no one is stopping anyone else from doing their own polls and acting accordingly.

On the point of suspending trading in Sterling. I don't think that's possible? At least not totally.
    Yes, we've all got £500k to spend on a poll before we decide whether to get our holiday money.

Farce.
  • Options

RobD said:

Yes, we've all got £500k to spend on a poll before we decide whether to get our holiday money.

Farce.
    Thankfully newspapers do it for us.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

RobD said:

Farce.
    Not everyone can afford a Reuters real-time market feed, but that isn't seen as insider trading either.
  • Options
    The next polls are key, if they show a trend towards leave, the narrative changes.

I wonder if leave is concerned about peaking too early and giving the establishment time to cook up a Scottish style "Vow" charade?

I'd imagine they'd look to just get over the line, late.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited June 2016

RobD said:

Farce.
    Given that it is illegal to publish the information before 10PM, if you use the information in a way that will cause published markets to move indicating to the public the findings, and potentially influencing voters, could that be construed by a court as indirectly publishing?

Certainly anyone reporting any such move in the markets is going to have to be really careful how they make such reports. Any hints in the report that the shift is down to the possible election result could get them in hot water.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739
    Estobar said:

I know someone on the inside of this and Brexit has already pretty much been factored into the markets. It's a Y2k scenario. Bugger all will happen when Leave win.

When? I hear you cry. Yep. I think it's all over. If Remain were going to win it's like Dave Bedford running the 10,000 metres. Should have been one lap ahead at this stage, not starting to drop behind.

A few points:

1. The pound has dropped already based on a poll showing Brexit ahead. To say that nothing will happen if the country really does vote for Brexit must be wrong:
    "The pound dropped after a new poll showed a jump in support for the campaign to take Britain out of the European Union, spooking some investors who had thought that the result was a foregone conclusion.
    Sterling fell against all of its 16 major peers as ICM opinion polls released Tuesday by the Guardian showed a lead for the ‘Leave’ camp. "

2. As someone who worked at the time on preventing Y2K problems, I can tell you that the reason nothing happened is that many companies prepared for it and worked on it for eighteen months or so before the end of 1999.

3. Some polls still show Remain way ahead and some don't, the problem is knowing which are correct.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Do you hate foreigners enough to Vote Leave?

• Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited June 2016

The next polls are key, if they show a trend towards leave, the narrative changes.

I wonder if leave is concerned about peaking too early and giving the establishment time to cook up a Scottish style "Vow" charade?

But the polls have not moved. All that has happened is that the telephone polls have come into line with the online polls.

ICM did an online poll as well as a phone poll yesterday. They, less widely reported, did an online poll two weeks ago at the same time as their previous phone poll. The online poll two weeks ago was 52/48 leave - exactly the same as yesterdays. It is only the phone polls that have moved dramatically.

This isn't a shift, this is a dawning realisation of reality.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

1. The pound has dropped already based on a poll showing Brexit ahead. To say that nothing will happen if the country really does vote for Brexit must be wrong:
    "The pound dropped after a new poll showed a jump in support for the campaign to take Britain out of the European Union, spooking some investors who had thought that the result was a foregone conclusion.
    Sterling fell against all of its 16 major peers as ICM opinion polls released Tuesday by the Guardian showed a lead for the ‘Leave’ camp. "

People forgetting that correlation does not equal causality. The pound dropped, but by no more than a typical amount that happens several times a week in one direction or the other. The poll results were announced as better for leave (in keeping with several recent polls). The two might be related at some level between 0 and 100%.

2. As someone who worked at the time on preventing Y2K problems, I can tell you that the reason nothing happened is that many companies prepared for it and worked on it for eighteen months or so before the end of 1999.

Damn right! I worked on several systems, one of which with national although not critical significance, that would have definitely failed had we not made the required changes. Some of my colleagues were involved in decompiling twenty year old programs where the source code had been lost, that would have definitely failed and essentially rewriting large chunks of them for the same reason.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Come on Scott, it isn't about hating foreigners.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739

But the polls have not moved. All that has happened is that the telephone polls have come into line with the online polls.

ICM did an online poll as well as a phone poll yesterday. They, less widely reported, did an online poll two weeks ago at the same time as their previous phone poll. The online poll two weeks ago was 52/48 leave - exactly the same as yesterdays. It is only the phone polls that have moved dramatically.

This isn't a shift, this is a dawning realisation of reality.
    Or not.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Sandpit said:

These amounts might seem huge, but in fact they are no greater than those matched on an average televised Premier League football match in the couple of days leading up to the game and more especially during the game itself.
    It's in the nature of exchange betting that the amounts wagered are large, since to a very substantial extent the same bettors are placing bets on both sides of the equation, i.e. back and lay, seeking to secure tiny margins of profit by doing so. In this way, an individual punter might have matched bets of say £1000 or more on a game, whilst at any one time his maximum exposure never exceeds say £100. The amounts placed with bookmakers are therefore likely to be very much smaller by comparison.
  • Options
    I'd really like to understand what ICM have done to bring their phone/online polls into general alignment.

After all the herding that went on last May, I'm very sceptical - no matter how honest the pollsters' intentions to fix the discrepancy.

It's a funny thing - it's uplifting to see Leave with any poll lead, but I almost wish Remain were. It's the hope that kills me.
  • Options
    Estobar said:

The Y2k scenario was very real - if it weren't for the huge efforts put in to address it in the few years beforehand it would have been chaos. Think ATMs not working, point of sale systems and billing systems the same. The banks also rewrote some very old mainframe code to keep everything working behind the scenes.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Honestly! I am surprised Scott manages to keep this level of output up with one hand seeming permanently otherwise engaged. Quite a lot of foreigners are voting for leave as well... my foreign wife is, and most of her foreign friends are. In short, he's talking bollocks.

See
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/653057/Black-Asian-voters-key-winning-Brexit-EU-referendum
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Indigo said:

People forgetting that correlation does not equal causality. The pound dropped, but by no more than a typical amount that happens several times a week in one direction or the other. The poll results were announced as better for leave (in keeping with several recent polls). The two might be related at some level between 0 and 100%.

Damn right! I worked on several systems, one of which with national although not critical significance, that would have definitely failed had we not made the required changes.
    I worked for a large telecoms firm back then and it's whole billing system was non-compliant [it was based on 01/01/01]. The proprietary software was crap, but there was no time or money to replace the whole thing. So we paid through the nose to add two more digits.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Indigo said:

Damn right! I worked on several systems, one of which with national although not critical significance, that would have definitely failed had we not made the required changes.
    I worked for a large telecoms firm back then and it's whole billing system was non-compliant [it was based on 01/01/01]. The proprietary software was crap, but there was no time or money to replace the whole thing. So we paid through the nose to add two more digits.
    You just set yourself up for another big cost in the year 9999 :)

Seconds since epoch is my favourite time measuring unit :D
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Indigo said:

I think I might have been the happy recipient of some of your company's largess :D
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

I'd really like to understand what ICM have done to bring their phone/online polls into general alignment.

After all the herding that went on last May, I'm very sceptical - no matter how honest the pollsters' intentions to fix the discrepancy.

It's a funny thing - it's uplifting to see Leave with any poll lead, but I almost wish Remain were. It's the hope that kills me.

I feel the same so kind of know what you mean. Until now LEAVE was the outsider, hoping to sneak up on the rails in racing parlance. Now it feels like they are there to be shot at and there will be no no limit to the number of dirty tricks applied.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Estobar said:

The Y2k scenario was very real - if it weren't for the huge efforts put in to address it in the few years beforehand it would have been chaos. Think ATMs not working, point of sale systems and billing systems the same. The banks also rewrote some very old mainframe code to keep everything working behind the scenes.
    I have an old mobile phone, and it couldn't cope when the year reached 2015. I guess it is an indication of the expected service life of consumer electronics.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Sandpit said:

These amounts might seem huge, but in fact they are no greater than those matched on an average televised Premier League football match in the couple of days leading up to the game and more especially during the game itself.
    It's in the nature of exchange betting that the amounts wagered are large, since to a very substantial extent the same bettors are placing bets on both sides of the equation, i.e. back and lay, seeking to secure tiny margins of profit by doing so. In this way, an individual punter might have matched bets of say £1000 or more on a game, whilst at any one time his maximum exposure never exceeds say £100. The amounts placed with bookmakers are therefore likely to be very much smaller by comparison.
    Don't disagree, but it's a lot of money at stake so far out. I don't bet on football but have heard similar numbers mentioned for a big match. There was a post here from iSam last year in which he said that his syndicate usually has around £75k in play on the football over a weekend. Most cricket Tests involving England are around £12-15m on Betfair

£50 yesterday was mine, and £150 of the £17m - if there were 100 PB posters all putting £50 on that's still only £5,000. I guess this shows that political betting is now very mainstream.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Honestly! I am surprised Scott manages to keep this level of output up with one hand seeming permanently otherwise engaged. Quite a lot of foreigners are voting for leave as well... my foreign wife is, and most of her foreign friends are. In short, he's talking bollocks.

See
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/653057/Black-Asian-voters-key-winning-Brexit-EU-referendum
    Speaking as somewhat of a foreigner myself (now away for four years, but maybe back soon?), I do feel a bit guilty having a right to vote even though I am not living in the UK. Saying that, I'm actually going to be back for the big day, so I'll cast my ballot in person. Still undecided, but leaning Leave (slightly).
  • Options
    edited June 2016

PlatoSaid said:

I feel the same so kind of know what you mean. Until now LEAVE was the outsider, hoping to sneak up on the rails in racing parlance. Now it feels like they are there to be shot at and there will be no no limit to the number of dirty tricks applied.
    Much like me trying to snipe a first from you ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Indigo said:

Oh yes, it will probably all happen again around 03:14:07 UTC on 19 January 2038
  • Options
    Indigo said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Indigo said:

Oh yes, it will probably all happen again around 03:14:07 UTC on 19 January 2038
    Hah, yes! Why not define it as a 64bit number in the first place?
  • Options
    Oh dear.

Liz Kershaw on Sky paper review really articulating the emotional reaction/outrage at illegal immigrants. She lives in Dymchurch and has had gangs of young Albanian men climbing over her garden wall en route from the beach.

Now, she's just mentioned Chipping Cameron and how it's not a problem for him and his friends.

If I were in Number 10, I'd be holding my head in my heads.
  • Options
    RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Indigo said:

We won't have to wait until 9999, only have to wait until 2038 when UNIX Time rolls over. This is your favourite 'seconds since epoch', and it will overflow a 32bit integer on Jan 19 of that year.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem
  • Options
    RobD said:

Indigo said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

See
    Speaking as somewhat of a foreigner myself (now away for four years, but maybe back soon?), I do feel a bit guilty having a right to vote even though I am not living in the UK. Saying that, I'm actually going to be back for the big day, so I'll cast my ballot in person. Still undecided, but leaning Leave (slightly).
    I have been away for 6 years and sadly won't be voting. I looked at setting up a proxy vote with my wife who is in the UK, but when I looked at the website as soon as it became available for the EU Ref it said they needed to send me a form to sign to authorise it... and it takes two months or more for the post to reach me where I am at the moment, so pointless.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

RobD said:

Indigo said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

See
    I have been away for 6 years and sadly won't be voting. I looked at setting up a proxy vote with my wife who is in the UK, but when I looked at the website as soon as it became available for the EU Ref it said they needed to send me a form to sign to authorise it... and it takes two months or more for the post to reach me where I am at the moment, so pointless.
    You should have scanned your form, sent the PDF to your wife, and got her to mail it to them. There's probably still time.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Indigo said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Indigo said:

Because when Unix was invented core memory (ie RAM) was priced in thousands of dollars per kilobyte! In the early seventies 1K of memory cost about the same as a reasonable house.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Indigo said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Indigo said:

Same reason everyone went with a two-digit year - really expensive memory and storage in the early days of computing...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Indigo said:

We won't have to wait until 9999, only have to wait until 2038 when UNIX Time rolls over. This is your favourite 'seconds since epoch', and it will overflow a 32bit integer on Jan 19 of that year.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem
    With 64 bits it is fine until 15:30:08 on Sunday, 4 December 292,277,026,596 :D
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Indigo said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Indigo said:

Same reason everyone went with a two-digit year - really expensive memory and storage in the early days of computing...
    I feel so spoilt having a work machine (not a supercomputer) with 512GB of memory. I'm such an inefficient programmer... basically, everything is a float64 object :D
  • Options
    The referendum has finally reached it's inevitable equation, economy v immigrants.

So far on this thread 2 people have expressed outrage when I point this out

Neither of them live here.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,190
    Scott_P said:

Poor old Scott, didn't get the memo du jour - that Leave will actually push UP immigration!

Sometimes, you just have to feel sorry for pb's resident Dervish.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Daily FX trading is about $5.3 trillion. Approximately 13% of that relates to GBP or c. $700 billion.

It's unlikely that any hedgie is going to make a 'bet the farm' investment on the basis of an exit poll, so at most you may get a few billion staked.

It's not going to cause a run on the pound - rumours might, but that would be purely unsubstantiated and not related to the exit polls at all
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The referendum has finally reached it's inevitable equation, economy v immigrants.

Hm, not sure I expressed outrage?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

PlatoSaid said:

Indigo said:

I think I might have been the happy recipient of some of your company's largess :D
    Oh, that was another one now defunct!

By 1999, I'd moved and a colleague spent New Year's Eve in the Bunker with other bigwigs just in case the world did end. Thankfully largely non-event, but the tee-total trepidation in the run up was something.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,986
    We are now at the stage where we just have to hope that the Leave side is right about the economic consequences of Brexit. As I noted last night, the parallels with the Scottish independence referendum are really uncanny in so many ways.

Throughout that campaign the Yes side rubbished every No warning and talked about Project Fear. Independence, they said, would set Scotland free to plot a path to prosperity that Westminster - which took far more from Scotland than it gave back - would never deliver. When No said that the Scottish economy was too reliant on oil revenues this was dismissed. Oil is just a bonus, the Yes side said; and, in any case, we are heading towards a new boom. The experts are talking Scotland down, they are never right, this is just the establishment seeking to protect itself and its vested interests.

Turns out, though, that the establishment was right. That the experts did know what they were talking about. That the data and the stats the Yes side produced were completely wrong. That all the assurances they gave and the claims they made were false. It turns out that if Scotland had voted for independence it would now be embroiled in financial and economic catastrophe. It turns out that Yes was completely and utterly wrong.

Let us hope that Leave aren't wrong. Because if they are, it is going to get very, very unpleasant for a great many of this country's people very quickly.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The problem for Remain is their argument is hand waving and bollocks, whereas people can see the immigration problem on the news every day.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

RobD said:

Indigo said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

See
    DHL and UPS can get a document anywhere in the world in 48 hours. I signed up last year for a postal vote and had a courier pick up the forms and send them back.

Edit: check the electoral commission website, they say you can register online with NI number and passport number until June 7th.
    https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
  • Options
    Will Straw: "Australia, who have a points-based immigration system, have twice as many migrants per head as the UK."

Are you a muppet or what? They could just as easily have half the level - they have control.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I certainly can't get close to Tyson's claim a couple of days ago that he would find it difficult/impossible to have a Tory as a friend ..... remarkable!
    In fact I have a number of Labour-supporting friends, but not as many as Her Indoors, who, from her earlier days knows a number of people living in Red in Tooth and Claw Blackburn.
    Although clearly not nearly a large enough sample to be in any way representative, she reports that virtually every one, ranging in age from being in their late twenties through to their seventies, intends to vote LEAVE.
    It was on receiving this intelligence a few days ago, that I really started to believe that the betting markets had it all wrong.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Indigo said:

PlatoSaid said:

Indigo said:

By 1999, I'd moved and a colleague spent New Year's Eve in the Bunker with other bigwigs just in case the world did end. Thankfully largely non-event, but the tee-total trepidation in the run up was something.
    Most of my UK IT career was telecoms, I have variously consulted for BT, Lucent, Cellnet (as was), Vodafone, Three, Mercury, Orange etc.. they all had lots of nice Y2K work :D
  • Options
    Indigo said:

RobD said:

Indigo said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

See
    Indigo you really really don't need to go through all that hassle.

Print off the form, sign it, scan it and email it for her to print it. That's what I did. Took me about 2 minutes. Not the slightest problem whatsoever. You still have time.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Daily FX trading is about $5.3 trillion. Approximately 13% of that relates to GBP or c. $700 billion.

It's unlikely that any hedgie is going to make a 'bet the farm' investment on the basis of an exit poll, so at most you may get a few billion staked.

It's not going to cause a run on the pound - rumours might, but that would be purely unsubstantiated and not related to the exit polls at all

Well that adds a little perspective to the discussion. Really, c30% of UK annual GDP traded in Sterling every day.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Indigo said:

RobD said:

Indigo said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

See
    DHL and UPS can get a document anywhere in the world in 48 hours. I signed up last year for a postal vote and had a courier pick up the forms and send them back.

Edit: check the electoral commission website, they say you can register online with NI number and passport number until June 7th.
    Interesting. The way I read the site they were going to send me a document to sign, and they would use standard 1st class which takes two months or more to get to me. I know this because I received a letter from HMG last week that was posted in March!
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Sandpit said:

Indigo said:

RobD said:

Indigo said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

See

Interesting. The way I read the site they were going to send me a document to sign, and they would use standard 1st class which takes two months or more to get to me. I know this because I received a letter from HMG last week that was posted in March!
    If they need to send a letter, have them post it to your wife or someone in the UK, then have the courier pick it up from there ;)
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Yes but beyond crying RAAAACCCCIIIISSSSSTTTT he has nothing else to contribute
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    Indigo said:

do I remember right that you are in the Philippines? Are there vigilante squads forming getting ready to take the criminals out?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

I'm clinging to the hope that Joe Public are now largely inured to scare stories. Recent ones about house prices, pensions, plagues of frogs haven't made a dent. Character assassinations on Boris by Heseltine and Clarke have made Remain look rather bitchy and desperate.

I'm concerned that Remain will pull some dodgy Vow II rabbit out of the hat at the last minute. All we can hope for is that Leave spikes this option early. Cameron's bust his own credibility - Osborne couldn't guarantee tampons, but such a move could hoover up enough floaters.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Oh dear.

Liz Kershaw on Sky paper review really articulating the emotional reaction/outrage at illegal immigrants. She lives in Dymchurch and has had gangs of young Albanian men climbing over her garden wall en route from the beach.

Now, she's just mentioned Chipping Cameron and how it's not a problem for him and his friends.

How will Brexit prevent illegal Albanian immigrants entering the country?

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Indigo said:

PlatoSaid said:

Indigo said:

I managed to avoid the night shift but had the 8am shift to do the tidying up. Only time I've ever persuaded a boss to send a taxi for me as I didn't want to drive at 7am. ;)
  • Options

beyond crying RAAAACCCCIIIISSSSSTTTT he has nothing else to contribute

Beyond RAAAAACCCIIIISSSSSMMMMM the Leave campaign has nothing else to contribute

• Options
    Indigo said:

Sandpit said:

Indigo said:

RobD said:

Indigo said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

See

See my reply. The form is available online in downloadable .pdf
    http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/177405/FORMS-Particular-Election-Proxy-MAY16.pdf

You work in IT you say?
  • Options

I certainly can't get close to Tyson's claim a couple of days ago that he would find it difficult/impossible to have a Tory as a friend ..... remarkable!
    In fact I have a number of Labour-supporting friends, but not as many as Her Indoors, who, from her earlier days knows a number of people living in Red in Tooth and Claw Blackburn.
    Although clearly not nearly a large enough sample to be in any way representative, she reports that virtually every one, ranging in age from being in their late twenties through to their seventies, intends to vote LEAVE.
    It was on receiving this intelligence a few days ago, that I really started to believe that the betting markets had it all wrong.

Please get her indoors to send her friends to the Blackburn Museum.

There's a big redevelopment of the town centre being planned & I'm trying to get the museum to be a key part of the story. Fingers crossed we are going to get there, but every little counts & they have a fantastic collection!
  • Options

Sovereignty... or something
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

beyond crying RAAAACCCCIIIISSSSSTTTT he has nothing else to contribute

Beyond RAAAAACCCIIIISSSSSMMMMM the Leave campaign has nothing else to contribute

Yeah all of 'em, send 'em back 'ome.

Happy now?

And happy that you support a party where roughly half the MPs are racist too?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Well that adds a little perspective to the discussion. Really, c30% of UK annual GDP traded in Sterling every day.
    Well we have to make a living, and our percentage is really very small ;)
  • Options

We are now at the stage where we just have to hope that the Leave side is right about the economic consequences of Brexit. As I noted last night, the parallels with the Scottish independence referendum are really uncanny in so many ways.

Throughout that campaign the Yes side rubbished every No warning and talked about Project Fear. Independence, they said, would set Scotland free to plot a path to prosperity that Westminster - which took far more from Scotland than it gave back - would never deliver. When No said that the Scottish economy was too reliant on oil revenues this was dismissed. Oil is just a bonus, the Yes side said; and, in any case, we are heading towards a new boom. The experts are talking Scotland down, they are never right, this is just the establishment seeking to protect itself and its vested interests.

Turns out, though, that the establishment was right. That the experts did know what they were talking about. That the data and the stats the Yes side produced were completely wrong. That all the assurances they gave and the claims they made were false. It turns out that if Scotland had voted for independence it would now be embroiled in financial and economic catastrophe. It turns out that Yes was completely and utterly wrong.

Let us hope that Leave aren't wrong. Because if they are, it is going to get very, very unpleasant for a great many of this country's people very quickly.

You didn't have to be in with a shot at the Nobel Prize for Economics to know that the YES campaign was irresponsibly optimistic.

Equally, the Remainer Establishment's assessment of a "There be dragons!" post-Brexit apocalyptic landscape is irresponsibly pessimistic. They chuck a whole bucket of "if it might go wrong, it will go wrong" over there assessments, without any possible provision for the inescapable truth - that for hundreds of years, we as a sovereign nation have been pretty damned good at this business malarkey..
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Indigo said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Indigo said:

I feel so spoilt having a work machine (not a supercomputer) with 512GB of memory. I'm such an inefficient programmer... basically, everything is a float64 object :D
    That's cheating! I always advocated giving the developers the slowest machines in the office, that way they would see their application no better than the customer would see it. But then I was the customer facing QA and deployment guy, rather than a developer ;)
  • Options
    Of course, if the Leave Tories had not backed major cuts to the Royal Navy and the coastguard we may now find it easier to protect our coastline.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

RobD said:

Indigo said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

See
    Two months?! Does it come by bottle?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Well we have to make a living, and our percentage is really very small ;)
    One only needs a very small percentage of a huge number...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,510
    The FT have made no secret of their position on this and I think it is influencing their reporting. From the general public point of view the story is that even the risk that we might vote leave is enough to trash the pound and have the markets reeling. That in itself is a compelling reason for the undecided to vote remain. The effect of this story is not so much to affect peoples' voting intentions on the day but in the run up to the day and we can expect a lot more of the same.

It appears despite the ongoing attack of the alphabet soup of international bodies the country is edging towards leave and control of its own destiny. Fear will be dialled up to 11 in response because this is all remain have.

Almost no one likes the EU as it is right now, let alone what it is likely to be like in another decade. To vote remain people need to be persuaded that the alternatives are even worse. The problem they have is that Remains attacks have been so over the top already that they invite ridicule rather than apprehension. But things may well get turbulent over the next few weeks. The staff of the plane will be strapping themselves in in a most ostentatious manner.
  • Options

for hundreds of years, we as a sovereign nation have been pretty damned good at this business malarkey..

...but we never did it by walking away from our largest market.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Oh dear.

Deterrent should always come before prevention. Its about mood and message. Apply through the proper channels (oops) with the proper credentials and we will welcome you with open arms. Likewise refugees. Invaders should be treated accordingly.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    SO : "Let us hope that Leave aren't wrong. Because if they are, it is going to get very, very unpleasant for a great many of this country's people very quickly."

I doubt that very much. Should LEAVE win, that certainly wouldn't result in the UK leaving the EU any time soon - in fact I don't see it happening in less than 4-5 years minimum.
    Furthermore, I would dare to suggest that on the balance of probabilities, it would still be more likely that not we would remain a member of the EU for the foreseeable future, it's simply in the nature of things.
    I fully expect the betting markets to reflect this prospect before very long.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Indigo said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Indigo said:

Speaking of expensive memory - when my husband worked at Ericsson's in the 90s - someone broke in, and stole all the Sun workstation memory chips.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

for hundreds of years, we as a sovereign nation have been pretty damned good at this business malarkey..

...but we never did it by walking away from our largest market.
    One that we buy more from than we sell to.

• Options

Will Straw: "Australia, who have a points-based immigration system, have twice as many migrants per head as the UK."

Are you a muppet or what? They could just as easily have half the level - they have control.

Immigration really is causing the Remainer's to lose all coherency. They don't have any treatment programme to limit the cancer, which is at risk of metastasizing throughout the whole body of their campaign.

The risk of this Referendum for Remain has always been that it would boil down to the voters deciding a slightly different question: Who do you want to control our borders, Britain or Brussels?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

PlatoSaid said:

Oh dear.

Christ on a bike. It doesnt matter if it will or it wont.

Truth is perception.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Scott_P said:

Poor old Scott, didn't get the memo du jour - that Leave will actually push UP immigration!

I've just heard the claim again - it's Will Straw. He's spouting some really strange things. How stupid does he think we all are? My instant reaction was Don't Be Silly.

EDIT Apparently TUC Frances O'Grady will be claiming workers will be £38pw worse off by 2030.
  • Options
    Estobar said:

Indigo said:

Sandpit said:

Indigo said:

RobD said:

Indigo said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

See

See my reply. The form is available online in downloadable .pdf
    http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/177405/FORMS-Particular-Election-Proxy-MAY16.pdf

You work in IT you say?
    The UK has moved on some since I was actively there last, I was having difficulty in believing HMG jobsworths would accept a document without a real ink signature.
  • Options

Of course, if the Leave Tories had not backed major cuts to the Royal Navy and the coastguard we may now find it easier to protect our coastline.

Have their been any major incursions besides the one a few days ago?

Saying that, I'm all for using our EU subscription to pay for a stonking navy.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

They could. But a points based system would be a really bad way of controlling it. In the words of the anti-immigration Migration Watch, "totally unsuitable for the UK":

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/press-release/398
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Scott_P said:

I've just heard the claim again - it's Will Straw. He's spouting some really strange things. How stupid does he think we all are? My instant reaction was Don't Be Silly.
    One especially pleasing outcome of Leave would be seeing Daddy's boys such as Straw and Kinnock exposed as what they are.
  • Options

Throughout that campaign the Yes side rubbished every No warning and talked about Project rests.

Turns out, though, that the establishment was right. That the experts did know what they utterly wrong.

You didn't have to be in with a shot at the Nobel Prize for Economics to know that the YES campaign was irresponsibly optimistic.

Equally, the Remainer Establishment's assessment of a "There be dragons!" post-Brexit apocalyptic landscape is irresponsibly pessimistic. They chuck a whole bucket of "if it might go wrong, it will go wrong" over there assessments, without any possible provision for the inescapable truth - that for hundreds of years, we as a sovereign nation have been pretty damned good at this business malarkey..

Yes, as I say we had better hope that Leave is right about this and that all the economists and the global institutions that are warning against pulling out of the EU are wrong. If they are not, if it turns out that they are right, as they were right about the dangers that an independent Scotland might face, then a lot of people are going to face a lot of hardship for a sustained period of time.

Many of us on PB are fortunate enough to be in a position where we are protected against the possible economic downsides of Brexit; we are well paid with good jobs, or we no longer work, or we do not live in the UK. Some of us, most notably the lawyers, will actually do extremely well from it. Most of our fellow citizens, on the other hand, are in more exposed positions. Leave just has to be right if they are not going to face a very challenging future.

There is nothing in your answer that reassures me on that front. I would, for example, dispute that for the last one hundred years or so we have been "pretty damned good at this business malarkey". From where I sit, we have been pretty damned bad at it - poor productivity, low investment in R&D, relatively poor exports, and so on. That's one of the reasons why we wanted to join the EEC, as was, in the first place.

• Options
    @RupertMyers: Reviewing the papers on @lbc - great fact check on Leave's immigration story in the Times https://t.co/i3ulPQVLJT
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Don't disagree, but it's a lot of money at stake so far out. I don't bet on football but have heard similar numbers mentioned for a big match. There was a post here from iSam last year in which he said that his syndicate usually has around £75k in play on the football over a weekend. Most cricket Tests involving England are around £12-15m on Betfair

£50 yesterday was mine, and £150 of the £17m - if there were 100 PB posters all putting £50 on that's still only £5,000. I guess this shows that political betting is now very mainstream.
    If so, that's very much down to Mike Smithson, his Lieutenants and ..... us!
  • Options

They could. But a points based system would be a really bad way of controlling it. In the words of the anti-immigration Migration Watch, "totally unsuitable for the UK":

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/press-release/398
    Meeks, do you ever foresee a time when immigration needs controlling, and if so why and when?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Scott_P said:

One especially pleasing outcome of Leave would be seeing Daddy's boys such as Straw and Kinnock exposed as what they are.
    This is why hereditary peerages aren't a bad thing. :D
This discussion has been closed.