Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » ICM Phone poll sees Leave 4% ahead. A fortnight ago Remain

Comments

• Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    PeterC said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    Two points:

1) a 0.5% move in cable is nothing - just daily vol

2) shifts in cable as a result of brexit polling is driven by changes in consensus expectations of interest rates. The commonly accepted the sis is that the Bank will cut rates in the event of an out vote - just to add some extra juice to the market. This is what causes the shift in relative fx. You cant read anything into it really...

Looks like the £ has been bouncing along and then taken a bit of a tumble; though not much of one. But it may indicate that something more dramatic will happen if there are a few more polls like the last two.

It's the price action that looks so bad -spike high, triple top and strong rejection at 1.47. Cable is going lower imo.

That's not St Vince going lower of course but the pound dollar exchange rate, also known as Cable sinve the trans Atlantic communication link.
  • Options

I'm sceptical that there has actually been any movement in the polls. This just seems to be tacit admission that the online polls were nearer the mark from the phone pollsters.

Whats all this in comments further down about EU citizens resident here getting polling cards, or has someone forgotten Cyprus and Malta are in the commonwealth and Irish Citizens count as honorary UK citizens?

Poland were not in the Commonwealth or Ireland the last time I looked.
    Thanks, found it on Guido now.

If the result is a very close Remain win it could well end up in the courts.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    GIN1138 said:

Well I'm going to BeLeave this poll until I see evidence that it's a "rogue" :smiley:

I'm enjoying the feeling that Leave might win, but not seeing it as by any means probable.

Somebody posted that ghastly sequence of responses we've heard too often over EU things, the one that starts by saying 'Oh, you've misunderstood, that isn't what it's saying' and ends with 'It's too late now, it's all agreed'.

I'm enjoying that feeling that perhaps, this time, we might - just might - get off that inevitability treadmill.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,826

PeterC said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    Two points:

2) shifts in cable as a result of brexit polling is driven by changes in consensus expectations of interest rates. The commonly accepted the sis is that the Bank will cut rates in the event of an out vote - just to add some extra juice to the market. This is what causes the shift in relative fx. You cant read anything into it really...

Looks like the £ has been bouncing along and then taken a bit of a tumble; though not much of one. But it may indicate that something more dramatic will happen if there are a few more polls like the last two.

It's the price action that looks so bad -spike high, triple top and strong rejection at 1.47. Cable is going lower imo.

That's not St Vince going lower of course but the pound dollar exchange rate, also known as Cable sinve the trans Atlantic communication link.
    After Strictly Come Dancing there was really no lower he could go.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    So Nicola and Alex are on course to lose back to back referendums within 9 months ?

Heart of stone..
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,068
    Mr. Bedfordshire, given the number of EU citizens in this country, it doesn't necessarily have to be close for that to happen.

It could be the worst possible result. Remain by a margin smaller than the number of EU citizens who should not have had the vote.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,950
    Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

Pulpstar said:

MTimT said:

As we've seen all around the world, from Trump to Austria, the old political establishment and the elite have never been so hated.

The EU is the establishment of the establishment, so far removed from the man in the street.

There's nothing more disliked than an impotent but also all powerful body.

And now a fairly stunning poll from New Jersey showing Hillary barely leading Trump and Trump winning the independents handily:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/poll-hillary-clinton-trump-new-jersey-223724
    Oh my.
    Trump getting big swings in Cali too, and Oregon (just one poll, showing him leading!)...
    Even if it is just a rogue, hopefully that will lead to everywhere being polled !
    American has quite clearly gone mad. This is the same electorate (give or take) that wanted Obama in because they were sick of fighting wars in middle east. Trump plans to invade Northern Syria as I understand it.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @NickPalmer

'Hmm. I think a Leave vote would be a disaster, as noted earlier, but I also think it would quite possibly lead to a Corbyn government, as I really think the Leave Tories have underestimated the Black Wednesday style economic vortex that would follow Leave. My ideal if we did vote Leave, I think, would be general consensus that it was a horrible mistake, with Corbyn taking over and getting some genuine negotiations leading to a fresh vote.'

ROFL
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Adam Ludlow makes a good point – (mostly europhile) ABs high likelihood to be away due to Bank Holiday and schools half-term. Poll could well be a rogue.

I would be tempted to think that but for the fact that the online poll they conducted simultaneously produced exactly the same result as

(a) Today's phone poll

(b) The online poll they did at the same time as the last phone poll two weeks ago.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,477
    RodCrosby said:

5/23-5/29
    2016 General Election
    Clinton 47% Trump 45%
    NBC News/SurveyMonkey

Sanders leads Trump 52 to 40 in today's NBC
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

Pulpstar said:

MTimT said:

As we've seen all around the world, from Trump to Austria, the old political establishment and the elite have never been so hated.

The EU is the establishment of the establishment, so far removed from the man in the street.

And now a fairly stunning poll from New Jersey showing Hillary barely leading Trump and Trump winning the independents handily:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/poll-hillary-clinton-trump-new-jersey-223724
    Oh my.
    Trump getting big swings in Cali too, and Oregon (just one poll, showing him leading!)...
    Even if it is just a rogue, hopefully that will lead to everywhere being polled !
    American has quite clearly gone mad. This is the same electorate (give or take) that wanted Obama in because they were sick of fighting wars in middle east. Trump plans to invade Northern Syria as I understand it.
    Trump did say he opposed the Iraq War
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

Pulpstar said:

MTimT said:

Oh my.
    They wanted Obama because he was white-black - sorry but that is the reason. Totally racist support.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,950
    PeterC said:

rkrkrk said:

Question to Labour remainers/Tory Brexiteers:
    Would you swap a leave vote for Corbyn as PM?

Hmm. I think a Leave vote would be a disaster, as noted earlier, but I also think it would quite possibly lead to a Corbyn government, as I really think the Leave Tories have underestimated the Black Wednesday style economic vortex that would follow Leave. My ideal if we did vote Leave, I think, would be general consensus that it was a horrible mistake, with Corbyn taking over and getting some genuine negotiations leading to a fresh vote.

I appreciate that it's a minority view here!
    There was no 'economic vortex' following Black Wednesday. It led to to a period sustained growth lasting until 2008'
    Hmmm. I'm not convinced by the idea of Corbyn negotiating which seeds to plant in his allotment never mind a new trade agreement with the EU.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,263

I'm sceptical that there has actually been any movement in the polls. This just seems to be tacit admission that the online polls were nearer the mark from the phone pollsters.

Whats all this in comments further down about EU citizens resident here getting polling cards, or has someone forgotten Cyprus and Malta are in the commonwealth and Irish Citizens count as honorary UK citizens?

Poland were not in the Commonwealth or Ireland the last time I looked.
    Thanks, found it on Guido now.

If the result is a very close Remain win it could well end up in the courts.
    There seem to be more than usual procedural errors compared to other elections, or maybe it's just the profile of the referendum and the eagerness to make sure these things get a public hearing.

A very close result in either direction is almost certainly going to end up in court, hopefully it ends up being 55-45 one way or the other, the only thing worse than the 'wrong' result will be no result at all.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

rkrkrk said:

Hmm. I think a Leave vote would be a disaster, as noted earlier, but I also think it would quite possibly lead to a Corbyn government, as I really think the Leave Tories have underestimated the Black Wednesday style economic vortex that would follow Leave. My ideal if we did vote Leave, I think, would be general consensus that it was a horrible mistake, with Corbyn taking over and getting some genuine negotiations leading to a fresh vote.

There was no 'economic vortex' following Black Wednesday. It led to to a period sustained growth lasting until 2008'
    Based on cheap money - fueled by equity release on booming house prices - there wasn't the growth in manufacturing during that period - and we still haven't kicked the habit.
  • Options

PeterC said:

rkrkrk said:

Hmmm. I'm not convinced by the idea of Corbyn negotiating which seeds to plant in his allotment never mind a new trade agreement with the EU.
    Economic growth doesn't depend on a new trade agreement with the EU.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I agree that Leave is the value at the moment, essentially because who the hell knows what the true position is? A 7% swing in a month is implausible, but that doesn't mean this poll is wrong; it might have been the previous one which was overstating the Remain position. Stephen Fisher's poll-based analysis of a few days ago had as its central forecast Remain 55%, but with a whopping plus or minus 12.5% error at the 95% confidence level. Frustrating though it may be, my take is that those large error bars reflect the truth, which is that we just don't know.

https://electionsetc.com/2016/05/24/the-historical-referendums-and-polls-based-forecast-one-month-out/

42.5%-67.5% for Remain as the 95%Confidence interval is rather broad, so I too think Leave is value.

Presumably the curve is in a Normal ditribution and the 67% CI is 48.75% to 61.25%
  • Options
    Just passed an elderly gent with a Vote Leave badge in Piccadilly
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,766
    HYUFD said:

Manchester or London? :)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,535
    HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

5/23-5/29
    2016 General Election
    Clinton 47% Trump 45%
    NBC News/SurveyMonkey

Pretty meaningless. Trump has been cosying up to Sanders because he wants his supporters to cross over when Hillary finally dispatches him. Sanders is a weak candidate in a general election.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,048
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    Two points:

Yes, but see point 2. It's to do with rate expectations not "chaos" or somesuch hyperbole

I don't buy the rate expectations line, I'm afraid. They are already about as low as they can go. A further cut will make no difference to anything.

• Options

Mr. Bedfordshire, given the number of EU citizens in this country, it doesn't necessarily have to be close for that to happen.

It could be the worst possible result. Remain by a margin smaller than the number of EU citizens who should not have had the vote.

I guess it will depend on whether its a few cockups or something systematic.

Lets hope its not the latter as it I fear it would give them an excuse to cancel the referendum and hold it at a later date more favourable to them.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

42.5%-67.5% for Remain as the 95%Confidence interval is rather broad, so I too think Leave is value.

Presumably the curve is in a Normal ditribution and the 67% CI is 48.75% to 61.25%

Well, yes, but one shouldn't take the actual distribution too literally. Still, that 67% conf limit feels about right.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited May 2016

HYUFD said:

Thirty years ago when I was standing on a station in the South London suburbs a chap came running down the ramp and started hectoring the platform attendant who was talking to another passenger as to whether the train in the platform was going to Victoria. The platform attendant refused to be interrupted and the guy got really abusive so the guy got on and door shut and loco took the train away.

After the train left the platform attendent shrugged his shoulders and said to two or three people nearby who had witnessed the incident. He didn't ask which Victoria that train is going to, that ones going to Manchester Victoria, next stop Reading

:blush:
  • Options
    edited May 2016

HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

5/23-5/29
    2016 General Election
    Clinton 47% Trump 45%
    NBC News/SurveyMonkey

Pretty meaningless. Trump has been cosying up to Sanders because he wants his supporters to cross over when Hillary finally dispatches him. Sanders is a weak candidate in a general election.
    I am not so sure, Sanders populist message against Wall Street and billionaires is more in tune with the times than Hillary's establishment pitch and he would blunt Trump's outsider appeal
    It would be a race of who Americans hate more, Wall Street and billionaires or Mexican migrants, Muslims and China
  • Options
    For our Naval History fans:

https://twitter.com/BattleOfJutland
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,807
    Labour councillor who called Israel a 'terrorist state' and was married to two women at the same time is appointed equality chief in Birmingham

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3617090/Labour-councillor-called-Israel-terrorist-state-married-two-women-time-appointed-equality-chief-Birmingham.html
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

NBC has Clinton up 2% nationally so NJ still more Democratic than the nation, another Boston Herald poll out has New Hampshire tied 44% to 44% so it is leaning more to its formerly GOP roots
    NJ shouldn't be 'more Democratic than the nation' - it should be 'way, way, way more democratic than the nation.' It is supposed to be not even close, solid Dem state:
    http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/05/2016-predictions-117554

Next we'll be getting a poll telling us MD is neck and neck. Sheesh
  • Options
    edited May 2016

I don't buy the rate expectations line, I'm afraid. They are already about as low as they can go. A further cut will make no difference to anything.

They could resume QE, though. The dilemma would be whether that would drive sterling still lower; modest depreciation is fine, but an unstable exchange rate is not, especially when you have a humongous current-account deficit to finance and when investors will be fleeing to safety.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

London
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,263

HYUFD said:

Thirty years ago when I was standing on a station in the South London suburbs a chap came running down the ramp and started hectoring the platform attendant who was talking to another passenger as to whether the train in the platform was going to Victoria. The platform attendant refused to be interrupted and the guy got really abusive so the guy got on and door shut and loco took the train away.

After the train left the platform attendent shrugged his shoulders and said to two or three people nearby who had witnessed the incident. He didn't ask which Victoria that train is going to, that ones going to Manchester Victoria, next stop Reading
    Didn't they rename Liverpool St station as "London Liverpool St" a few years back, after lots of confused tourists at Stansted Airport were presented with one train to Liverpool St and another opposite to Liverpool Lime St?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,127

For our Naval History fans:

https://twitter.com/BattleOfJutland

Love these live feed things!
  • Options
    The FT reported on its front page today that Hedge Funds and Investments banks were investing in referendum exit polls during June 23rd so as to know as the day goes by how to take positions in the pound sterling and stock market.

The cost of a continuous exit poll on the day is said to be £500,000.

Note: There is a £ sign and a $ sign on a standard QWERTY keyboard but no Euro sign. :)
  • Options
    John_N4 said:

Has anyone ever seen a "Help for Heroes" sticker and a pro-Remain one in the same car?

i have never seen a pro-remain sticker on a car.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

Pulpstar said:

MTimT said:

Oh my.
    They wanted Obama because he was white-black - sorry but that is the reason. Totally racist support.

Perhaps they want Trump because he is whiter than white. :)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Didn't they rename Liverpool St station as "London Liverpool St" a few years back, after lots of confused tourists at Stansted Airport were presented with one train to Liverpool St and another opposite to Liverpool Lime St?
    All the mainline termini are prefixed with "London" - except for London Bridge, which already has "London" in its name :)

Loughborough Junction is near Brixton, not Loughborough!
  • Options

The FT reported on its front page today that Hedge Funds and Investments banks were investing in referendum exit polls during June 23rd so as to know as the day goes by how to take positions in the pound sterling and stock market.

Note: There is a £ sign and a $ sign on a standard QWERTY keyboard but no Euro sign. :)

Does that mean that the exit poll will be the Pound vs Dollar market from about 2pm onwards on the 23rd?

Seems to have a bit of a whiff of insider trading to me.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

NBC has Clinton up 2% nationally so NJ still more Democratic than the nation, another Boston Herald poll out has New Hampshire tied 44% to 44% so it is leaning more to its formerly GOP roots
    NJ shouldn't be 'more Democratic than the nation' - it should be 'way, way, way more democratic than the nation.' It is supposed to be not even close, solid Dem state:
    http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/05/2016-predictions-117554

Next we'll be getting a poll telling us MD is neck and neck. Sheesh
    We have had polls showing Hillary leading in Utah and Arizona, Trump in Oregon and not far behind in NJ, there could be a few odd results
  • Options

Labour councillor who called Israel a 'terrorist state' and was married to two women at the same time is appointed equality chief in Birmingham

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3617090/Labour-councillor-called-Israel-terrorist-state-married-two-women-time-appointed-equality-chief-Birmingham.html

"Inequality Street" - hat-tip Sean Lock.
  • Options

ctrl alt 4 € - or is mine not standard?
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Delighted obviously at today's polling news, it certainly looks now as though the online polls have been closer to the 'truth' all along - when I saw the breakdown of over 60's in favour of remain on the phone polls, it was that and Geroge Osborne scheduled to do an interview with Andrew Neil that firmly pushed me in favour of the online polling.......although I have to say I was nervous about coming to the same conclusion in my head as to where my heart obviously lies.....and I still have an innate caution about things. If, and its a big if, the polls are showing a narrow lead for leave on the eve of polling, I still think there is a critical soft underbelly in the leave vote. I still think the leave campaign has to neutralise the economy question, whilst cementing its large lead on the immigration question in order to be as sure as one can be of winning on the day. And there are certainly enough wildcard events that could occur over the next 23 days that could upset the applecart either way to say the least.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Here's a dilemma for Europhobes. A court opinion that employers may ban the wearing of headscarves by Muslim women - emanating from the CJEU's Advocate-General:

http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2016/may/headscarf-ruling-changes-expectations-in-discrimination-cases-says-expert/

• Options
    edited May 2016
    weejonnie said:

It works! €
  • Options

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

All the mainline termini are prefixed with "London" - except for London Bridge, which already has "London" in its name :)

and you can get a train to both from St Pancras.
  • Options
    On news of the latest poll for LEAVE the UK FTSE index fell 0.64%.

At the same time the German DAX fell the same amount and the French CAC slightly less.

So were ARE all in it together, IN or OUT.
  • Options
    I drove down the M40 through the north part of Oxfordshire yesterday and didn't see these posters (hopefully I was concentrating on the road sufficiently!):

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/anti-eu-billboards-reading-halt-ze-german-advance-placed-on-m40-a7055186.html

Were they put up as a smear by the remain campaign? Or ridiculously naive leave supporters?

Has anyone driven along there today and seen if these posters are still up?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    Two points:

Yes, but see point 2. It's to do with rate expectations not "chaos" or somesuch hyperbole

Not to economic performance, but even if it is only a delay to UK rates rising, that still leads to a weaker pound given the rates environment in the states right now
  • Options
    hunchman said:

I drove down the M40 through the north part of Oxfordshire yesterday and didn't see these posters (hopefully I was concentrating on the road sufficiently!):

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/anti-eu-billboards-reading-halt-ze-german-advance-placed-on-m40-a7055186.html

Were they put up as a smear by the remain campaign? Or ridiculously naive leave supporters?

A man by the name of Fawlty is helping police with their enquiries.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

I used to get the train in to the LSE from there in student days when it was a straight walk downhill from Ferndene Road in Herne Hill.....but it only operated in the morning and evening rush hour....which wasn't necessarily great as a student!
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

The € is not a single key but multiple keys.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonnie, likewise (although it's just AltGr and 4 for me).
  • Options
    For keyboard experts, how can I produce with a couple of keystrokes:

1) o with an umlaut?
    2) u with an umlaut?
    3) o with a double umlaut?
    4) u with a double umlaut?

This would be hugely helpful for me when typing Hungarian words.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,535
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

5/23-5/29
    2016 General Election
    Clinton 47% Trump 45%
    NBC News/SurveyMonkey

I am not so sure, Sanders populist message against Wall Street and billionaires is more in tune with the times than Hillary's establishment pitch and he would blunt Trump's outsider appeal
    It would be a race of who Americans hate more, Wall Street and billionaires or Mexican migrants, Muslims and China
    Sanders is the wrong kind of outsider to carry swing voters. Too many of his activities can be portrayed as un-American - his sympathy for the Soviet Union, support for the Sandinistas etc.
  • Options

They could resume QE, though. The dilemma would be whether that would drive sterling still lower; modest depreciation is fine, but an unstable exchange rate is not, especially when you have a humongous current-account deficit to finance and when investors will be fleeing to safety.

Yep, I guess so.

I see some folk down thread are trumpeting a Brexit vote as a possible precursor to the break-up of the EU as a whole. I am not sure they appreciate just how much financial and economic carnage that would cause, or how long-lasting it would be. Why would anyone actively want to inflict that level of misery on so many people?

• Options
    Bravo to Roberto Saviano in the following article, and he should know given his record:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/roberto-saviano-britain-corrupt-mafia-hay-festival-a7054851.html

Not so bravo to the Independent, for the key thing missing is the central address of the nexus of where this criminal activity all leads to in London - you've guessed it - 788 790 Finchley Road.

So Mr Cameron, if Nigeria and Afghanistan are 'fantastically corrupt' countries, what does that make the UK on that scale of language? Insanely fantastically corrupt?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    I doubt Remain will be thanking the US State Department for their warning about visiting Europistan today.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

On news of the latest poll for LEAVE the UK FTSE index fell 0.64%.

At the same time the German DAX fell the same amount and the French CAC slightly less.

So were ARE all in it together, IN or OUT.

EU Export Markets.

24 of the 27 EU nations run a trade surplus with the UK.

• Options
    Mr. Observer, if someone thinks the EU is destined to collapse, the sooner it happens the better. The longer it takes, the more entangled political structures are, and the greater the pain of disentangling them.

I don't want the EU to have a disorderly disintegration, but given its inability to reform and become just a trade bloc, a smooth transition to a trade agreement with those who wish to be politically integrated going (separately) down that road would be a very good thing.

I can't remember (was a while ago and a lot was said at the time), but did you make a similar post about the possibility of Scottish independence? Some people are taking this vote more seriously than the break-up of the UK, which surprises me.
  • Options

I see some folk down thread are trumpeting a Brexit vote as a possible precursor to the break-up of the EU as a whole. I am not sure they appreciate just how much financial and economic carnage that would cause, or how long-lasting it would be. Why would anyone actively want to inflict that level of misery on so many people?

It's a most curious psychological and political phenomenon. It's tantamount to actively wanting a rerun of the 2008/9 crash.
  • Options

Does that mean that the exit poll will be the Pound vs Dollar market from about 2pm onwards on the 23rd?

Under election law exit polls can be carried out on the day but not published. So those carrying out private polls will have better information than others and hence a competitive edge in trading, especially on the US market which is open later of course.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

rkrkrk said:

We were still an EU member state after Black Wednesday.

The UK leaving the EU will have major repercussions across Europe and beyond. It is hard to see the markets reacting positively. In the very best scenario what we will have is a period of significant uncertainty as the Tories elect a new leader and the Brexit deal is done. With confidence already fragile in China, Europe and even the US that is not going to be helpful, to say the least. And that is a best case scenario.
  • Options

It's a most curious psychological and political phenomenon. It's tantamount to actively wanting a rerun of the 2008/9 crash.

Yep.

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

5/23-5/29
    2016 General Election
    Clinton 47% Trump 45%
    NBC News/SurveyMonkey

Sanders is the wrong kind of outsider to carry swing voters. Too many of his activities can be portrayed as un-American - his sympathy for the Soviet Union, support for the Sandinistas etc.
    Well given Trump's praise for Putin he can hardly play the anti Russian card against Sanders and Sanders would also have the Hispanic vote
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,982

Mr. Observer, if someone thinks the EU is destined to collapse, the sooner it happens the better. The longer it takes, the more entangled political structures are, and the greater the pain of disentangling them.

I don't want the EU to have a disorderly disintegration, but given its inability to reform and become just a trade bloc, a smooth transition to a trade agreement with those who wish to be politically integrated going (separately) down that road would be a very good thing.

I can't remember (was a while ago and a lot was said at the time), but did you make a similar post about the possibility of Scottish independence? Some people are taking this vote more seriously than the break-up of the UK, which surprises me.

Yes I dont get why leaving a trade block is worse than the disintegration of the country. I guess you have to live in the South East to get it.
  • Options

Globally, Brexit would be a far bigger deal than Scotland becoming independent.

• Options

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

and you can get a train to both from St Pancras.
    Either side of Stoke are stations called Longport and Longton. I bet that causes some confusion!
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,953

rkrkrk said:

Thanks for the response. I agree that a Leave vote could make a Corbyn government more likely.

I think the economic risks of Brexit could be managed- most obviously by not changing our relationship with the EU very much (at least initially). That's not to say I have much confidence in the Conservatives managing this.
  • Options

As the EU is working so well for the likes of Greece, they have never known such prosperity!
  • Options

hunchman said:

I did say yesterday, a campaign could be afoot to make Leave out to be nasty immigrant-haters...
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

I used to get the train in to the LSE from there in student days when it was a straight walk downhill from Ferndene Road in Herne Hill.....but it only operated in the morning and evening rush hour....which wasn't necessarily great as a student!
    Oh now they are every half hour during the day.
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, must say I don't care a jot for the 'global' perspective, but the British interest.
  • Options

That's going to happen irrespective of what happens in 23 days time. I was ridiculed on here when I kept banging on about sterling going to fall below parity against the US dollar in time......as a country you get away with running a 7% of GDP current account deficit for a while.....but sooner or later capital will lose confidence in the country concerned - around 8% has historically been the danger level for emerging market countries. Its unprecedented for a developed country to have such an enormous imbalance. Sterling has already weakened markedly from the $1.7185 level reached in mid-2014. Its technical pattern is very much setting up for a collapse.....I'm glad that more people can see the writing on the wall now. So much for Mr Osborne and his much trumpeted 'rebalancing of the economy'! I haven't heard that phrase from him for a while now - I do wonder why? Neither have I heard much from him about his promise to wipe out the annual budget deficit by the end of the last parliament. Would anyone care to remind me how that one is going too?
  • Options

1) o with an umlaut?
    2) u with an umlaut?

If you are typing in word, just go to insert symbol and choose what you need.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,127
    edited May 2016

1) o with an umlaut?
    2) u with an umlaut?

The first two are easy (assuming you mean ö and ü):
    1) alt 0214 (0246 lower case)
    2) alt 0220 (0252 lower case)

using the numbers on the numeric pad. If you are using mac you hold down option, press "u" then release both those keys and press the letter you want umlauted.

Not sure what a double umlaut is?
  • Options
    edited May 2016

hunchman said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

I was talking from nearly 20 years ago now! You'll have to forgive me for being out of date!

It was a very run down station in those days, from what I recall there were no permanent members of staff working there.....and it showed!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,525
    edited May 2016
    TGOHF said:

So Nicola and Alex are on course to lose back to back referendums within 9 months ?

Heart of stone..

Remain wins in Scotland & loses in rUK? Result.

Btw your counting is on a par with your barely remembered knowledge of Glasgow; 20 months since the Indy referendum.

• Options

How ? Most of the economics is just scaremongering fact is no-one knows.

There will be a shock probably a mild one on Brexit but thereafter all bets are off. Our CoE has caused as much of shock on his own and we are still here.

The dissolution of the Uk is a bigger issue.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    If there was a Brexit, presumably the four million votes of Nigel's frother army would be up for grabs?
  • Options

Under election law exit polls can be carried out on the day but not published. So those carrying out private polls will have better information than others and hence a competitive edge in trading, especially on the US market which is open later of course.

Could using the information to make large currency trading investments or other bets on a large enough scale to distort the published market before 10pm be construed as publishing by a court?
  • Options

1) o with an umlaut?
    2) u with an umlaut?

Is there an EU Directive that we all have to write in Hungarian now? :)

How about letteres with acute, grave and circumflex accents, although I think the French are thinking of dropping the circumflex accent.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Yes I dont get why leaving a trade block is worse than the disintegration of the country. I guess you have to live in the South East to get it.
    Surely the point is that there was nothing people outside Scotland could do about the Independence vote?

In this referendum, we have a vote.

If all you can do is accept what other people decide, there is a limit to how engaged you can feel.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,943
    edited May 2016
    Anecdote alert from the (delayed) 18:03 Victoria service.

Eavesdropping first Brexit discussion. Two suited (no tie) middle-aged, middle-class conservative, possibly Conservative commuters.

Totally ambivalent about Brexit, but assuming Remain will win. Happy about the idea of PM Boris. Could go either way, but should have been in the bag for Remain.

• Options
    @RobD Your 1) and 2) don't work for me - I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Double umlauted letters are specific to Hungary - they have four forms of each of the letters o and u, as follows:

o, ó, ö, ő
    u, ú, ü, ű

To Hungarians they all sound as different as o and u.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Heart of stone..

Remain wins in Scotland & loses in rUK? Result.

Unlikely. Once enough Scottish families have had named visitors from the sociap services turning up and interrogating them as to whether they give their kids enough pocket money tbe SNP will be toast
  • Options

hunchman said:

I did say yesterday, a campaign could be afoot to make Leave out to be nasty immigrant-haters...
    They started it.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,694
    @OldKingCole fantastic news really happy to hear that.

(If you are still sober reading this and if you are, why?)
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Surely the point is that there was nothing people outside Scotland could do about the Independence vote?

In this referendum, we have a vote.

If all you can do is accept what other people decide, there is a limit to how engaged you can feel.
    That's certainly true.

However I have been bemused by comments from remainers on the board that out is a bigger issue than Indyref.

Personally I don't see it that way, but as I have commented before this ref is probably more values driven which is why Remain and Leave enthusiasts just can't understand where the other side is coming from.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, not sure, but maybe it only works on the number pad (to the right). If you were using the numbers above the letters, that could explain it.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    HYUFD said:

there could be a few odd results

Agreed
  • Options

How ? Most of the economics is just scaremongering fact is no-one knows.

There will be a shock probably a mild one on Brexit but thereafter all bets are off. Our CoE has caused as much of shock on his own and we are still here.

The dissolution of the Uk is a bigger issue.

It's true, no-one does know, I am stating an opinion. What I see out there is a very fragile recovery in Europe and very jittery markets in Asia. The US is also in an election year and so not stable. I think there is a considerable danger that given the UK's current integration into the single market, investors could react very badly to us pulling out. At a minimum, Brexit means several years of uncertainty. Hopefully, though, I am wrong and you are right.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

hunchman said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

I was talking from nearly 20 years ago now! You'll have to forgive me for being out of date!

It was a very run down station in those days, from what I recall there were no permanent members of staff working there.....and it showed!
    20 years ago I had much less grand ambitions, contenting myself with just doing all lines within Zones 1 to 4 of the London Travelcard area!
  • Options

Mr. Observer, must say I don't care a jot for the 'global' perspective, but the British interest.

Our interests are closely linked to what happens elsewhere. See the crash of 2008.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Tram fans!

I can report the Midland Metro extension from Bull Street to Birmingham New Street is definitely up running, as well as the new stop at Snow Hill.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,942
    Are the likes of Farage, Johnson, and Duncan Smith on course to destroy the visionary project of Monet, Schumann and De Gasperi? Truly the Vandals at the gate.
  • Options

hunchman said:

They started it.
    https://twitter.com/55Massey/status/737671548803260420
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,918
    Evening all.

I think right now is the first time that I have felt that Leave might actually win this.

Gulp.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,945

1) o with an umlaut?
    2) u with an umlaut?

If you're using a PC running Windows, you can use use the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator to install your own keyboard layout. Since I have to type quite a bit of German on a UK keyboard, I've made my own keyboard layout that uses Alt Gr plus the relevant key to get ä, ö, ü and ß. Much easier than typing hex codes each time!
  • Options

Nobody in their right minds wants to see the chaos starting to unfold over the next few years. But so many historical cycles are coming to a head, that all point to this time, if you look at Martin Armstrong's work, he has been forecasting between now and 2020 as the time when so much of what we take for granted about the current state of the world would fall apart from all the way back in 1985.

Those of us who have studied our history have all stated that the Euro will eventually collapse - no currency area without a consolidated debt market consistent with that area has withstood the test of time. That's not opinion, that's a fact. And I'm not about to start betting that 6,000 years of history with that rule is going to be overturned by the experience of the Euro. Technology may change over time, human nature has not. The leaders of the EU and all those acolytes and followers have shown that they are ignorant of that basic historical fact. And if they couldn't consolidate the eurozone debt at the time of the Euro launch in 1999 when confidence in the political class was so much higher than today, then they haven't got a hope in hell now.

Which is why despite how strongly I feel about the EU, I don't think the result either way will make all that much difference when we come to look back on the next 4 years in 2020. The Euro will collapse and the miserable EU project with it at some point - I personally think 2018. It would help from a strictly limited UK standpoint if we vote leave in 23 days time but the EU goose is cooked. Look at the Austrian presidential election, 60% youth unemployment and the unresolved issues on the Euro periphery, the rise of nationalism across the EU - its like the Ottoman empire circa 1916 - its just waiting for a few final knockout blows to consign the 'project' to the dustbin of history.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Or since the Leavers believe with some justification that the EU is the cause of much economic malaise and a drag on growth, leaving would be akin to removing Brown and changing tack in advance of 2008.

Sometimes the status quo is not the best option.
  • Options

The USA works / worked (although there is a growing separatist movement in places like Vermont and Texas that will eventually lead to its breakup) because there was pretty much one language and one culture, and everyone thinks of themselves as American, whatever that might mean to them. Nobody in the EU thinks of themselves first and foremost as a European Unionist for want of better parlance. Without one language and one culture, the whole idea of the European Union simply is not a 'fit' for the reality of the European people. Communism failed in 1989 because it's 'elite' were so far removed from the wider population. I would postulate that the EU 'elite' is in a similar position today with regard to its wider population that it serves so dismally.
This discussion has been closed.