Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » ICM Phone poll sees Leave 4% ahead. A fortnight ago Remain

Comments

• Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    tyson said:

I think we are a couple of crap footie results and one European based terrorist incident away from voting ourselves out of the EU.

I also think the imagery of immigration is just so powerful as you allude to.

I guess the one small chink of light for Remain is that even after a week of relentless focus on immigration things are still tight and there are enough undecided to change things. But it's very hard to see how they can regain the narrative. The media love immigration as a subject, too, because it is so visual and there are so many stories to tell. It's much harder to illustrate stories about the economy in an engaging way.

tyson said:

I think we are a couple of crap footie results and one European based terrorist incident away from voting ourselves out of the EU.

I guess the one small chink of light for Remain is that even after a week of relentless focus on immigration things are still tight and there are enough undecided to change things. But it's very hard to see how they can regain the narrative. The media love immigration as a subject, too, because it is so visual and there are so many stories to tell. It's much harder to illustrate stories about the economy in an engaging way.

We would have to fail to qualify from our group for the Euros to have any effect either way – as the Referendum is the day immediately following the culmination of the group stages.

Even with England's dismal recent tournament record, our not getting out of the group remains unlikely. The new format means we would probably have have to finish rock bottom in our group, in a pool featuring Russia, Slovakia and Wales, as the top three teams will all progress to the Second Round in four out of six groups.

Betfair make our failing to progress a 7-1 shot, an even longer gambit that Brexit was during the Remain glory days of last week.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Mr Cole,

Very good news. Let's keep the old git ratio up on here.

Not sure what Cameron can do now regarding Project Fear. World war three, bubonic plague, zombie apocalypse. Not much left. There's always honesty ... or a brighter vision for Europe ... naw ... thought not.
  • Options
    Just as in the old Badedas commercial, things happen after Mike Smithson goes on holiday!

I wonder if he succeeded in getting his money on LEAVE at or above 5.0 (4/1) as he was threatening to do a few days ago?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'm glad now that I closed out my open Betfair position before going to Hungary. One of those occasions when caution has been rewarded.

First we need to understand why the phone poll has moved and the online poll hasn't.

NB it's not just one poll, the ORB phone poll also showed a move to Leave. So there seems to be something else going on with the phone polls.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,952

Mr. rkrkrk, welcome to pb.com.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,760
    Scott_P said:

PeterC said:

He now faces the biggest foreign policy fiasco in living memory. Far worse than Suez.

Hyperbole much?
    *cough*
    "Brexit will cost us all £4300 per year"
    *cough*
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    rkrkrk said:

Question to Labour remainers/Tory Brexiteers:
    Would you swap a leave vote for Corbyn as PM?

No. A Corbyn-led government would be a total clusterf**k. The sooner he retires to his allotment and his friends disappear out of public life the better. Then we can hope to have a centre left party decent people can vote for.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited May 2016
    Scott_P said:

PeterC said:

He now faces the biggest foreign policy fiasco in living memory. Far worse than Suez.

Hyperbole much?
    I don't think so. BrEXIT would demolish the entire business, cultural and politcal consensus and radically redefine Britain's place in the world.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,027

Just as in the old Badedas commercial, things happen after Mike Smithson goes on holiday!

I wonder if he succeeded in getting his money on LEAVE at or above 5.0 (4/1) as he was threatening to do a few days ago?

I was on the phone to him earlier on, he did, he found this phone poll most satisfying.
  • Options

A shatteringly bad poll for Cameron ...... but he has only himself to blame.
    His personally undertaken EU so-called renegotiation was a complete joke, compounded by the way in which he then tried to take the electorate as fools by pretending he had achieved a great deal.
    The whole sorry saga was made all the worse when it became clear that his Government were unwilling and incapable of doing anything about controlling immigration levels after 6 years+ in office.
    He's finished!

He hasn't lost yet. If he wins, you could quite easily argue the eurosceptic right of his party are the ones that are finished*

*I don't argue that. The Tory Party will muddle on, despite being hopelessly divided on Europe. Twas ever thus.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,038
    rkrkrk said:

You might as well ask whether you'd swap to get a horse into Downing Street. It is about as likely.

Leave is Labour's disaster as well as Dave's. It has been totally invisible and has made no effort to run any kind of serious campaign. Clearly this is because the leadership is not that bothered about the result. The unions will be, though.

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

3/1 looks too long.

If this ICM is repeated, Leave will be heading towards evens.

The 7-2 on Wales going won't last long either - from a tub of 2 million random red and blue tops what is the probability of picking out 16 blue ones and 25 red ones, and there being more blue ones than red ones in the pot...

It is not 78% !
    The England price should be a tick/tick-and-a-half under the UK price. The Wales price should basically be the UK price, imo. Our Missouri.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    I think your scenario below Southam is extremely plausible, and possibly increasingly inevitable. You had the foresight to predict a Tory victory at the last election, so I do have some confidence in your predictive abilities.

tyson said:

It's never been in doubt for me. As soon as the 330,000 figure came out last week it looked like game over. As you could see from the coverage that figure got on all the TV channels and since then too, immigration is so televisual and there are always stories to tell. Throw in the fact no-one in the government has ever sought to make a positive case - despite the entire economic and fiscal policy depending on it - and no-one should be surprised by these polls and by the UK's withdrawal from the EU.

The real fun starts on 24th June. Cameron and Osborne will clearly have to go. That means a Tory leadership election. Then the Brexit deal has to be worked out against the backdrop of what is now basically a hung Parliament. I can't see how we can go much further than the autumn without a general election. Thanks to Corbyn, that should produce a new Tory majority and also a few UKIP MPs, which will spell the end of Corbyn, thankfully. The SNP will run specifically seeking a mandate for a new independence referendum.

In short, triangulating Dave and George will take the UK out of the EU and cause the break-up of the UK. But they may also hasten the Labour party coming to its senses.

• Options

I was on the phone to him earlier on, he did, he found this phone poll most satisfying.
    So he really is a BREXIT man then?
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

tyson said:

It's never been in doubt for me. As soon as the 330,000 figure came out last week it looked like game over. As you could see from the coverage that figure got on all the TV channels and since then too, immigration is so televisual and there are always stories to tell. Throw in the fact no-one in the government has ever sought to make a positive case - despite the entire economic and fiscal policy depending on it - and no-one should be surprised by these polls and by the UK's withdrawal from the EU.

The real fun starts on 24th June. Cameron and Osborne will clearly have to go. That means a Tory leadership election. Then the Brexit deal has to be worked out against the backdrop of what is now basically a hung Parliament. I can't see how we can go much further than the autumn without a general election. Thanks to Corbyn, that should produce a new Tory majority and also a few UKIP MPs, which will spell the end of Corbyn, thankfully. The SNP will run specifically seeking a mandate for a new independence referendum.

In short, triangulating Dave and George will take the UK out of the EU and cause the break-up of the UK. But they may also hasten the Labour party coming to its senses.

I'm not so sure Mr Cameron will go in the event of a Leave vote.

Perhaps the nearest parallel is the way he responded to the Labour party's rejection of the thought-to-be-agreed stance on intervention in Syria (?).

IIRC, they apparently expected him to come back with another opportunity to vote, but he immediately 'bowed to the will of the House' and that really angered them.

I'd expect Mr Cameron to respond in the same sort of way to a Leave vote. Throw himself into doing what the country has decided upon.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

So he really is a BREXIT man then?
    He's a gambler, he just wants to make a lot of money
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,089

I'm glad now that I closed out my open Betfair position before going to Hungary. One of those occasions when caution has been rewarded.

First we need to understand why the phone poll has moved and the online poll hasn't.

NB it's not just one poll, the ORB phone poll also showed a move to Leave. So there seems to be something else going on with the phone polls.

Last week, the methodology in the online poll was adjusted in a way that was unfavourable to Leave, producing a tie. On the old basis, the online poll would probably show Leave ahead by 6-8%.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,242
    Jobabob said:

A shatteringly bad poll for Cameron ...... but he has only himself to blame.
    His personally undertaken EU so-called renegotiation was a complete joke, compounded by the way in which he then tried to take the electorate as fools by pretending he had achieved a great deal.
    The whole sorry saga was made all the worse when it became clear that his Government were unwilling and incapable of doing anything about controlling immigration levels after 6 years+ in office.
    He's finished!

He hasn't lost yet. If he wins, you could quite easily argue the eurosceptic right of his party are the ones that are finished*

*I don't argue that. The Tory Party will muddle on, despite being hopelessly divided on Europe. Twas ever thus.
    Well, not if the EU suffers a sudden (and wholly deserved) collapse into oblivion. Then there will be no longer be a divide in the Tory Party....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,068

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

3/1 looks too long.

The 7-2 on Wales going won't last long either - from a tub of 2 million random red and blue tops what is the probability of picking out 16 blue ones and 25 red ones, and there being more blue ones than red ones in the pot...

It is not 78% !
    The England price should be a tick/tick-and-a-half under the UK price. The Wales price should basically be the UK price, imo. Our Missouri.
    Rural England will without doubt vote Brexit.

Leave
    ======

Midlands
    Rural North
    Southwest
    Southeast outside London

Remain
    =====
    London
    Urban North
    Scotland
    N Ireland
    Gibraltar ;)

Cardiff + Swansea is 18% of Wales, are there likely to be many more decent "Remain" reservoirs there ?
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

Perhaps the nearest parallel is the way he responded to the Labour party's rejection of the thought-to-be-agreed stance on intervention in Syria (?).

IIRC, they apparently expected him to come back with another opportunity to vote, but he immediately 'bowed to the will of the House' and that really angered them.

I'd expect Mr Cameron to respond in the same sort of way to a Leave vote. Throw himself into doing what the country has decided upon.

It's not really up to him, though. He will have lost all authority in his party, in the country and, just as important, on the international stage. Ditto Osborne. They are three weeks and two days from it all being over for them.

• Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Mike's holiday

Day 1: 4% swing to Leave

Day 2: 7% swing to Leave.

Anyone want to guess what the swing will be on day 22 of Mike's holiday?

Anyone interested in polling methods will want to watch the recent BBC Parlaiment programme with three well known polling experts explaining the difference between the referendum polling results for telephone and online polling.

This is at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07ggk4g

• Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    So, those most vociferously attacking Leave are now patting themselves on the back for betting on Leave at fancy prices, or at best trading out of their positions.

This place is like the betfair forum, nobody on there has ever placed a losing bet either.

Aftertiming.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

RodCrosby said:

US State Dept. issues travel warning for citizens planning to attend "large events" in Europe...

I'm off to Benidorm for a stag weekend on Friday. Even the headbangers from round here are telling me to be careful. Eastern European gangs preying on drunk people; locals selling dodgy drugs; ISIS trying to bomb the place; half naked Brits wanting a scrap.

Sounds awesome!
    Sounds awful!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,110
    :o tipping point?
  • Options
    That is why people of different convictions are drawn to this site.
    Political betting is incredibly lucrative if you keep your sentiments to one side. I have made my best wins going backing outcomes I really dislike.

So, those most vociferously attacking Leave are now patting themselves on the back for betting on Leave at fancy prices, or at best trading out of their positions.

This place is like the betfair forum, nobody on there has ever placed a losing bet either.

Aftertiming.

• Options

Mr. rkrkrk, welcome to pb.com.

Seconded, welcome!
  • Options

Aftertiming.

Can you get a recount going for the London mayorals, I'm still waiting to collect on the UKIP chap finishing third :(
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    PlatoSaid said:

WTF

The Register
    As poll shows #Brexit lead, Google has been demoting pro-Brexit views in its search results https://t.co/ZG7JpBcLY8 https://t.co/Ltjont4xG8

Or, the far more likely explanation is that the vast explosion in articles on the EU referendum means sites with incredibly high quality score like the Guardian and FT now climb above the dedicated site in the rankings.
  • Options

Mike's holiday

THREE WEEKS TO SAVE MIKE'S HOLIDAY!
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,120
    Old King Cole - really good news about your all clear. The poll news cheered me up. Your news delighted me.

Wishing you very many more years of health sir.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

@OldKingCole Good to read of your good news.

Thank you!
    More time for PB? :D
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Aftertiming.

Can you get a recount going for the London mayorals, I'm still waiting to collect on the UKIP chap finishing third :(
    Where did he finish?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/petermannionmp/status/737678009935777792

Sharply? That's sixth-tenths of a cent.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Aftertiming.

Where did he finish?
    Fifth :o
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    EXAGGERATED Y-AXIS - is he a LibDem by any chance???
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Aftertiming.

Where did he finish?
    Blimey, who was 3rd and 4th?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Scrapping VAT on energy? As far as I'm aware there is no government called Leave. Still, it keeps the limits of our parliament in the news.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,720
    john_zims said:

@Fenster

'Cameron needs to come up with some serious fear-level shit, and fast.'

That may be difficult.

'UK would do okay outside the European Union, David Cameron says!
    “Some people seem to say that really Britain couldn’t survive, couldn’t do okay outside the European Union.
    I don’t think that is true,
    Let’s be frank, Britain is an amazing country.
    We’ve got the fifth biggest economy in the world.
    We’re a top ten manufacturer.
    We’ve got incredibly strong financial services.
    The world wants to come and do business here.
    Look at the record of inward investment.
    Look at the leaders beating the path to our door to come and see what’s happening with this great country’s economy.
    .... Britain could survive outside the EU. Of course it could.”

David Cameron quoted from The Independent - 9th Nov 2015

John Zims - that's brilliant; that basically sums up my position. Do you have a link for that?
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

It's not really up to him, though. He will have lost all authority in his party, in the country and, just as important, on the international stage. Ditto Osborne. They are three weeks and two days from it all being over for them.

I see your point, but I'm not so sure.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Aftertiming.

Where did he finish?
    Berry, the Green lady was third and the yellow peril 4th.

My bets placed outwith the main mayoral outcome (Including @Alastair) 's Scottish "certs" were intensely annoying :[ !
  • Options
    Cookie said:

john_zims said:

@Fenster

'Cameron needs to come up with some serious fear-level shit, and fast.'

That may be difficult.

'UK would do okay outside the European Union, David Cameron says!
    “Some people seem to say that really Britain couldn’t survive, couldn’t do okay outside the European Union.
    I don’t think that is true,
    Let’s be frank, Britain is an amazing country.
    We’ve got the fifth biggest economy in the world.
    We’re a top ten manufacturer.
    We’ve got incredibly strong financial services.
    The world wants to come and do business here.
    Look at the record of inward investment.
    Look at the leaders beating the path to our door to come and see what’s happening with this great country’s economy.
    .... Britain could survive outside the EU. Of course it could.”

David Cameron quoted from The Independent - 9th Nov 2015

John Zims - that's brilliant; that basically sums up my position. Do you have a link for that?
    https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/737677538139492353
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    If I am reading correctly, there have been a dozen polls this month with Leave ahead or level.

There were four between May 2011 to September 2014 for the Scottish referendum.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,065
    Mr. 63, if you want to see some losing bets, check my F1 blog:
    enormo-haddock.blogspot.com

There is the odd winner, but it's about 80% wrong this year.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Aftertiming.

Where did he finish?

My bets placed outwith the main mayoral outcome (Including @Alastair) 's Scottish "certs" were intensely annoying :[ !
    Ahhhh, surely you "greened up" (winky face)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,458

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

3/1 looks too long.

It is not 78% !
    Nevada more like, Missouri ceased to be a swing state in 2008
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    From PB contributor, ComRes pollster, and all round good egg Adam Ludlow

@Adam_Ludlow: Would ask how many ppl in your office went away this bank holiday weekend (or are still away on half term..) before reading today's polls..
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Aftertiming.

Where did he finish?

Ahhhh, surely you "greened up" (winky face)
    Not on that one I didn't :p. Stuck for 120 outside Zac/Khan (Where I had greened nicely)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,230
    edited May 2016
    Fenster said:

Scott_P said:

The markets may well provide that.

Well , quite...

@AndrewSparrow: Sterling falls after Guardian/ICM poll shows rise in support for Brexit - https://t.co/BEORYr0wHt
    I'm a fan of Cameron and applaud him for sticking to his promise of a referendum, and I also very much doubt that Brexit will win.

But the point is - and it pains me to say it - that he is probably finished as a credible PM post Ref. You can't offer a referendum, then promise a huge renegotiation and preface that renegotiation by stating you really don't want to leave.... and then tell the people that there will be catastrophe if we left.

It just isn't credible. And he's come across as a bullshitter.

If leaving the EU was so incredibly risky to our future then why the bloody hell did he offer a vote on leaving?

It's been very poorly done and I suspect it is game over for him and Osborne.
    Well said.

It's sad when you've been a fan of someone for ten years, to see him turn around and treat those who elevated him to that position so badly. Cameron's burned his bridges and is a dead man walking in the Conservative leadership after the referendum.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

His backbenchers will throw him out before he decides what to do if Leave do win
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    EXAGGERATED Y-AXIS - is he a LibDem by any chance???

LEAVE winning here.
  • Options

@Adam_Ludlow: Would ask how many ppl in your office went away this bank holiday weekend (or are still away on half term..) before reading today's polls..

Well, I went to Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight on Sunday/Monday.

Went up the Spinnaker Tower, visited HMS Warrior and HMS Victory in the Dockyard, then went on the catamaran ferry to Ryde on the Isle of Wight, and took the old Tube Train down to Shanklin and saw Sandown Bay.

You?
  • Options
    @TSE Shouldn't pollsters' weightings deal with that effect?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

twitter.com/petermannionmp/status/737678009935777792

Sharply? That's sixth-tenths of a cent.
    What we used to call three-fifths when we did fractions at school.
  • Options
    Adam Ludlow makes a good point – (mostly europhile) ABs high likelihood to be away due to Bank Holiday and schools half-term. Poll could well be a rogue.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

None.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Cookie

'John Zims - that's brilliant; that basically sums up my position. Do you have a link for that?'

'European Union David Cameron - The Independent
    www.independent.co.uk › News › UK › UK Politics

9 Nov 2015 - UK would do okay outside the European Union, David Cameron says. The PM is ... Jon Stone · @joncstone; Monday 9 November 2015 ...
  • Options

Mike's holiday

THREE WEEKS TO SAVE MIKE'S HOLIDAY!

Mike made a wise choice to go abroad before the pound slumps afetr a LEAVE vote on June 23rd.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Scott_P said:
    Two points:

1) a 0.5% move in cable is nothing - just daily vol

2) shifts in cable as a result of brexit polling is driven by changes in consensus expectations of interest rates. The commonly accepted the sis is that the Bank will cut rates in the event of an out vote - just to add some extra juice to the market. This is what causes the shift in relative fx. You cant read anything into it really...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Fenster said:

Scott_P said:

Well , quite...

@AndrewSparrow: Sterling falls after Guardian/ICM poll shows rise in support for Brexit - https://t.co/BEORYr0wHt
    I'm a fan of Cameron and applaud him for sticking to his promise of a referendum, and I also very much doubt that Brexit will win.

But the point is - and it pains me to say it - that he is probably finished as a credible PM post Ref. You can't offer a referendum, then promise a huge renegotiation and preface that renegotiation by stating you really don't want to leave.... and then tell the people that there will be catastrophe if we left.

If leaving the EU was so incredibly risky to our future then why the bloody hell did he offer a vote on leaving?

Well said.

It's sad when you've been a fan of someone for ten years, to see him turn around and treat those who elevated him to that position so badly. Cameron's burned his bridges and is a dead man walking in the Conservative leadership after the referendum.
    Yeah, I pretty much agree with what @Fenster said. A shame really..
  • Options
    This tweet from earlier in the afternoon seems apposite right now:

https://twitter.com/robertoroblesf/status/737663810421592064
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Adam Ludlow makes a good point – (mostly europhile) ABs high likelihood to be away due to Bank Holiday and schools half-term. Poll could well be a rogue.

Yes, its only plebs that can't afford to travel.

The sneering tone just won't go away.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

LEAVERs don't have kids who go to school?
  • Options

Aren't Tories the ones usually away on holiday though? :p
  • Options
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    Two points:

2) shifts in cable as a result of brexit polling is driven by changes in consensus expectations of interest rates. The commonly accepted the sis is that the Bank will cut rates in the event of an out vote - just to add some extra juice to the market. This is what causes the shift in relative fx. You cant read anything into it really...

Looks like the £ has been bouncing along and then taken a bit of a tumble; though not much of one. But it may indicate that something more dramatic will happen if there are a few more polls like the last two.

• Options

They should, but as the pollsters will tell you, despite their weightings, their biggest outliers occur during the holidays.

Why do you think most pollsters, and the Daily YouGov tracker stopped polling between the 20th of December and the second week of January.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Ooooh the pound might move against the Euro ? that's never happened before.

• Options

This tweet from earlier in the afternoon seems apposite right now:

https://twitter.com/robertoroblesf/status/737663810421592064

LOL that's brilliant!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,806
    I'm not sure how you can have a methodology change, then try to compare this poll with previous polls.

• Options
    edited May 2016

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    Two points:

Looks like the £ has been bouncing along and then taken a bit of a tumble; though not much of one. But it may indicate that something more dramatic will happen if there are a few more polls like the last two.

It's the price action that looks so bad -spike high, triple top and strong rejection at 1.47. Cable is going lower imo.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,382
    rkrkrk said:

Hmm. I think a Leave vote would be a disaster, as noted earlier, but I also think it would quite possibly lead to a Corbyn government, as I really think the Leave Tories have underestimated the Black Wednesday style economic vortex that would follow Leave. My ideal if we did vote Leave, I think, would be general consensus that it was a horrible mistake, with Corbyn taking over and getting some genuine negotiations leading to a fresh vote.

I appreciate that it's a minority view here!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    Two points:

Yes, but see point 2. It's to do with rate expectations not "chaos" or somesuch hyperbole
  • Options

They should, but as the pollsters will tell you, despite their weightings, their biggest outliers occur during the holidays.

Why do you think most pollsters, and the Daily YouGov tracker stopped polling between the 20th of December and the second week of January.
    They were on holiday I suppose
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Fenster said:

Scott_P said:

Well , quite...

Well said.

And the real tragedy is that it's entirely self inflicted.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,039
    Well I'm going to BeLeave this poll until I see evidence that it's a "rogue" :smiley:
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

rkrkrk said:

Hmm. I think a Leave vote would be a disaster, as noted earlier, but I also think it would quite possibly lead to a Corbyn government, as I really think the Leave Tories have underestimated the Black Wednesday style economic vortex that would follow Leave. My ideal if we did vote Leave, I think, would be general consensus that it was a horrible mistake, with Corbyn taking over and getting some genuine negotiations leading to a fresh vote.

Yes - any damage that Corbyn does can be corrected in due course (5 years max). Further damage from ever-closer-integration would have to wait for 40 years.

It's a no brainer.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,065
    The US has warned the European football tournament could be a terrorist target:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36416929

Ahem. Pretty sure everybody knew that already...
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

As we've seen all around the world, from Trump to Austria, the old political establishment and the elite have never been so hated.

The EU is the establishment of the establishment, so far removed from the man in the street.

There's nothing more disliked than an impotent but also all powerful body.

And now a fairly stunning poll from New Jersey showing Hillary barely leading Trump and Trump winning the independents handily:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/poll-hillary-clinton-trump-new-jersey-223724
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2016
    I agree that Leave is the value at the moment, essentially because who the hell knows what the true position is? A 7% swing in a month is implausible, but that doesn't mean this poll is wrong; it might have been the previous one which was overstating the Remain position. Stephen Fisher's poll-based analysis of a few days ago had as its central forecast Remain 55%, but with a whopping plus or minus 12.5% error at the 95% confidence level. Frustrating though it may be, my take is that those large error bars reflect the truth, which is that we just don't know.

https://electionsetc.com/2016/05/24/the-historical-referendums-and-polls-based-forecast-one-month-out/
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,720
    john_zims said:

@Cookie

'John Zims - that's brilliant; that basically sums up my position. Do you have a link for that?'

9 Nov 2015 - UK would do okay outside the European Union, David Cameron says. The PM is ... Jon Stone · @joncstone; Monday 9 November 2015 ...

Thanks JZ. I've just googled it and looked up the whole piece. I expected a few ifs, buts and maybes in there, but no, it's basically David Cameron saying the UK would do fine. And this is six months ago; it's hardly the 5-10 years or so that Tony Blair took from Brexiter to arch-Europhile.
    How has he changed his mind so radically?
    If anyone's interested, this is the article:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/britain-would-do-okay-outside-the-european-union-david-cameron-says-a6727031.html
  • Options
    Betfair is now back to exactly the position it was in before the ICM polls broke. Is there something else in the offing?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

As we've seen all around the world, from Trump to Austria, the old political establishment and the elite have never been so hated.

The EU is the establishment of the establishment, so far removed from the man in the street.

And now a fairly stunning poll from New Jersey showing Hillary barely leading Trump and Trump winning the independents handily:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/poll-hillary-clinton-trump-new-jersey-223724
    Oh my.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

rkrkrk said:

Hmm. I think a Leave vote would be a disaster, as noted earlier, but I also think it would quite possibly lead to a Corbyn government,

LOL !

There are no circumstances ever economic nor weather nor asteroid approaching that the Uk will ever vote for Corbyn as PM.

Smell that coffee.
  • Options
    Have I missed some news today. Good Ole Coley........... And what a kind message from you Richard too.

Old King Cole - really good news about your all clear. The poll news cheered me up. Your news delighted me.

Wishing you very many more years of health sir.

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    5/23-5/29
    2016 General Election
    Clinton 47% Trump 45%
    NBC News/SurveyMonkey
  • Options
    I'm sceptical that there has actually been any movement in the polls. This just seems to be tacit admission that the online polls were nearer the mark from the phone pollsters.

Whats all this in comments further down about EU citizens resident here getting polling cards, or has someone forgotten Cyprus and Malta are in the commonwealth and Irish Citizens count as honorary UK citizens?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Fenster said:

Scott_P said:

Well , quite...

Well said.

And the real tragedy is that it's entirely self inflicted.
    Indeed.

The whole tone of the debate, the exaggerated & hyperbolic tone of war and famine, has come directly from the PM. He owns it and could have prevented it at any point in favour of a polite and nuanced debate with others in his own party.

But no, war and famine it is, and a huge number of his own MPs and party members will never forgive him for it.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited May 2016

The US has warned the European football tournament could be a terrorist target:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36416929

Ahem. Pretty sure everybody knew that already...

Did they also warn that both of the Popes are Catholics and bears use the woods as a privy?

France is certainly suffering from Economic Terrorism at the moment.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

If it were seen so immediately as 'a horrible mistake' (by whom, I wonder? By the same people who've been so urgent we should vote Remain?) there would be no need for 'genuine negotiations', would there?

Mr Corbyn puts me off completely, but as someone else said below or on a previous thread, a government is a short-term thing; the EU likes to see itself as Forever.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

rkrkrk said:

There was no 'economic vortex' following Black Wednesday. It led to to a period sustained growth lasting until 2008'
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Hmm. I think a Leave vote would be a disaster, as noted earlier, but I also think it would quite possibly lead to a Corbyn government, as I really think the Leave Tories have underestimated the Black Wednesday style economic vortex that would follow Leave.

Absolutely, that is a very significant danger.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Pulpstar said:

MTimT said:

Oh my.
    Trump getting big swings in Cali too, and Oregon (just one poll, showing him leading!)...
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,120
    Cookie said:

john_zims said:

@Cookie

Thanks JZ. I've just googled it and looked up the whole piece. I expected a few ifs, buts and maybes in there, but no, it's basically David Cameron saying the UK would do fine. And this is six months ago; it's hardly the 5-10 years or so that Tony Blair took from Brexiter to arch-Europhile.
    How has he changed his mind so radically?
    If anyone's interested, this is the article:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/britain-would-do-okay-outside-the-european-union-david-cameron-says-a6727031.html
    For anyone doubting it there is also video on Youtube of him saying this.
  • Options

I'm sceptical that there has actually been any movement in the polls. This just seems to be tacit admission that the online polls were nearer the mark from the phone pollsters.

Whats all this in comments further down about EU citizens resident here getting polling cards, or has someone forgotten Cyprus and Malta are in the commonwealth and Irish Citizens count as honorary UK citizens?

Poland were not in the Commonwealth or Ireland the last time I looked.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,806
    As I keep saying, they should downweight people, but not upweight anyone; nobody is worth more than one vote. Take what they've downweighted off people, and give that proportion to dk/wnv. Then the voting intentions should tally with turnout prediction, and we'd have a truer picture of what's going on.

If I were cleverer I'd do this myself and call it something like TCP - Totally Clueless Populace index. But I'm not nearly clever enough to work out backwards how they've upweighted and downweighted people, so sadly the polling world must remain in the dark.
  • Options

Betfair is now back to exactly the position it was in before the ICM polls broke. Is there something else in the offing?

There's £400,000 been matched through Betfair since 10am today, some serious money getting involved.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

WTF

The Register
    As poll shows #Brexit lead, Google has been demoting pro-Brexit views in its search results https://t.co/ZG7JpBcLY8 https://t.co/Ltjont4xG8

Or, the far more likely explanation is that the vast explosion in articles on the EU referendum means sites with incredibly high quality score like the Guardian and FT now climb above the dedicated site in the rankings.
    I never believe ANYONE could use 'high quality' and 'The Guardian' in the same sentence.

However you may be right - as more and more recent stuff comes on, it gets a boost in the page rankings - and Google loves words - put 2000 or so on a topic to get a good ranking for it. (It helps if there aren't 300 'if's', 'might's', 'maybe's', 'possibly's' though).
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    MTimT said:

NBC has Clinton up 2% nationally so NJ still more Democratic than the nation, another Boston Herald poll out has New Hampshire tied 44% to 44% so it is leaning more to its formerly GOP roots
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Pulpstar said:

MTimT said:

Oh my.
    Trump getting big swings in Cali too, and Oregon (just one poll, showing him leading!)...
    Even if it is just a rogue, hopefully that will lead to everywhere being polled !
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

WTF

The Register

I never believe ANYONE could use 'high quality' and 'The Guardian' in the same sentence.
    One for the "corrections and clarifications" department, perhaps ;)
This discussion has been closed.