Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LEAVE’s repeated refusal to accept that its £50m a day clai

SystemSystem Posts: 11,699
edited May 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LEAVE’s repeated refusal to accept that its £50m a day claim is untrue could cause problems if it wins

This has been used consistently by the outers and it has formed the basis for the core message. It has been saying that “£50m a day saved” could go into the NHS yet the amount of the actual cash available would be far less. Post election the INNERS would have very strong ground for complaint and you could just see Cameron dismissing a LEAVE outcome.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    First!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,117
    As opposed to Remain saying we will suffer another Great Depression if we leave!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    4,562nd*

*This figure may be officially misleading...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Yay another bad jacketing of Brexit thread.

What a suprise.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,982
    QTWTAIN.

Ministers could no more refuse to accept the result on those grounds than Leave could refuse to accept a Remain result because it is based on project Fear.

That said I agree (and said weeks ago) that Leave were daft going with the £350 million a week figure. They should have knocked off the rebate.

Of course the IFS figure is also bollocks. At a minimum it is £168 million a week for last year based on our net contribution. More realistically the figure is £288 million a week since we should use the gross not net figure. You don't calculate your tax bill based on what you get back in services. Nor should we for the EU.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited May 2016
    This beyond desperate, Ministers would get eaten alive by the public if they tried to dismiss a referendum on such a flimsy pretext, the public know both sides are lying through their teeth and a claim that the other side is lying more, and that it isn't fair, isn't going to wash

Never mind that the side that made claims commonly understood to include, inter alia, suggestions of World War 3, economic meltdown worse than that caused by World War 2, and refugee camps in Kent frankly is going to be laughed at, and the subsequently voted out, by the public if they try and bin the referendum result.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    They can't dismiss any more than leave can with the dodgy £4300 stats put forward by remain

http://news.sky.com/story/1702853/brexit-warnings-wrong-on-trade-think-tank
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    I can't see a referendum result being overturned, however close.

But if the Leave campaign are "stretching the actualite" to the point where the Statistics Authority have to step in to correct, where's the power to stop them lying? The Leave campaign seem quite happy to blissfully ignore being caught out like this, and there's no way a letter from the ONS is going to get the same publicity as the figure on the side of the bus. So where's the power to compel them to take back such a misleading claim? I know the response will be to look at some of the nonsense the Remain campaign has come out with, but that's just a diversion - how do we stop an out and out lie when the people propogating it don't show any respect for the ONS?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    There is £25bn in the kitty from overseas aid and EU contributions.

Leave's big mistake is going so small on what they can do and how much they have to work with to ensure smooth transition.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,957
    Whether there would be any cash available is an entirely moot point. If leaving the EU leads to a fall in GDP and a reduction in the government's tax take - a scenario that many leavers except is possible, but is a price worth paying - then the likelihood is that we will be out of pocket and the money sent to the EU would instead be used to plug gaps created in current spending plans.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    The public doesn't like being deceived. See the the Lib Dem for details.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    'The basis for ministers to dismiss such a referendum result perhaps?'

Maybe not going so well for Remain as they would like us to believe ?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,836
    On topic: Daft, daft line of argument by Mike here. Afraid I'm with Indigo and Richard_T on this one.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2016
    Net Contribution = £8.5bn
    Gross Contribution (post rebate) = £13bn
    Gross Contribution (without rebate) = £18bn

Imagine another Blair like rebate surrender. What's the bill?

The UK government has form for losing rebates and opt-outs.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    TGOHF said:

What a suprise.

You don't have to come here. If you don't like it then I'm sure there are other sites.

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822

Ouch :lol:

And Cameron's trust ratings.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Whether there would be any cash available is an entirely moot point. If leaving the EU leads to a fall in GDP and a reduction in the government's tax take - a scenario that many leavers except is possible, but is a price worth paying - then the likelihood is that we will be out of pocket and the money sent to the EU would instead be used to plug gaps created in current spending plans.

Stop crying in to your wallet.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    For those betting on the US election, an interesting piece from politico.com, generally more friendly to Dems than the GOP:
    http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/05/2016-election-hillary-clinton-campaign-loses-defeated-donald-trump-213924

Some of the scenarios are a real stretch. At the moment, for example, there is no way that I can see Trump winning in Wisconsin, where the GOP hate him. But the general drift of the article is plausible, especially given Hillary's expertise in running low energy, piss poor campaigns and her extraordinarily high negatives on trustworthiness with the 40% of the electorate who make up Independents.
  • Options

Like you I am well off enough not to have to worry about it. Others are less fortunate.

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,982

Both official campaigns have been equally guilty of that and I think whoever wins is basically going to be in a lot of trouble.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited May 2016
    @david_herdson

'The public doesn't like being deceived. See the the Lib Dem for details.'

Don't think the public like being told by an un-elected bureaucracy on how £8 billion of their taxes can be spent.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,912
    tpfkar said:

But if the Leave campaign are "stretching the actualite" to the point where the Statistics Authority have to step in to correct, where's the power to stop them lying? The Leave campaign seem quite happy to blissfully ignore being caught out like this, and there's no way a letter from the ONS is going to get the same publicity as the figure on the side of the bus. So where's the power to compel them to take back such a misleading claim? I know the response will be to look at some of the nonsense the Remain campaign has come out with, but that's just a diversion - how do we stop an out and out lie when the people propogating it don't show any respect for the ONS?

Sir Andrew Dilnott is not a judge making a finding of fact, nor a referee running a sporting contest.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,984
    There are lies,
    Damned lies,
    Boris & Osborne.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

What a suprise.

You don't have to come here. If you don't like it then I'm sure there are other sites.

LOL, Mike. You know you write these headlines and headers to get precisely this reaction ...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,561
    Peak UKIP again in the final by election result of last night

Northallerton South (Hambleton) result:
    CON: 48.0% (-0.5)
    LAB: 20.6% (-4.8)
    UKIP: 19.7% (-6.5)
    YFIR: 11.8% (+11.8)
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    I remember Peter Kellner's remarks on what would happen in the event of a Brexit vote. The inners wouldn't take it lying down.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    I think the campaigns know what they're doing when they over-egg their numbers. Either the voters believe them as is or their opponent shows up saying, "It's not 100x, it's only x", which helps publicize the claim about it costing x.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    chestnut said:

Actually our rebate is only 10% now thanks to a certain A Blair. The gross contribution is £18bn and the post rebate contribution is £16.2bn, after that the EU spends around £6bn on grants, CA subsidies and development funds making our net contribution around £10bn, about £200m per week. One could suggest that we may have a cheaper agricultural subsidies programme but I would use the £200m figure if I was I charge of Leave.
  • Options

Like you I am well off enough not to have to worry about it. Others are less fortunate.

Then let their salaries rise like Sir Staurt said.
  • Options
    OGH. I do not understand why you feature a quote from LEAVE as untrue when the REMAIN/Treasury "£4,000 per household" has also been quoted as "should not be used" by ONS?
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

If lies and inaccuracies are pointed out, then what is the problem? Voters have been told in advance of going to the polls and can make their choices with that in mind. There would be absolutely no basis whatsoever for overturning a result in such circumstances.

• Options
    john_zims said:

@david_herdson

Don't think the public like being told by an un-elected bureaucracy on how £8 billion of their taxes can be spent.

Actually, that would be how £13 billion of their taxes can be spent (see chestnut for gross contributions), including how £8 billion of their taxes can be given away to other people.
  • Options
    Can this be translated as. 'Increasing doubt about accuracy of phone polls, big uptick in bets on Brexit, oh eck Leave might actually win this?
  • Options

QTWTAIN.

Ministers could no more refuse to accept the result on those grounds than Leave could refuse to accept a Remain result because it is based on project Fear.

That said I agree (and said weeks ago) that Leave were daft going with the £350 million a week figure. They should have knocked off the rebate.

Of course the IFS figure is also bollocks. At a minimum it is £168 million a week for last year based on our net contribution. More realistically the figure is £288 million a week since we should use the gross not net figure. You don't calculate your tax bill based on what you get back in services. Nor should we for the EU.

I agree that the £350 million a week figure should not have been used. They should have knocked off the rebate etc. Notably Andrea Leadsom refers to just £10billion a year net. A lower number, yet one that is unarguable on fact grounds. £10 billion is a lot of money to most voters.
  • Options
    Does anyone have figures for EU country gross contributions to the EU budget by percentage of GDP? Where would the UK come on that table?
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

Both official campaigns have been equally guilty of that and I think whoever wins is basically going to be in a lot of trouble.
    Every General Election consists of both sides lying to the electorate about how they will sort the country out, quoting misleading tractor stats to win votes. The public are used to it by now, an experience learnt through perpetual disappointment. Lying is a qualification required of all politicians, even Jean Claude Junker:- "When it becomes serious you have to lie"

Leave and Remain = Cat and Kettle

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10874230/Jean-Claude-Juncker-profile-When-it-becomes-serious-you-have-to-lie.html
  • Options
    This also completely ignores the fake statistics coming from the Remain side, there is no statistical basis or evidence for anything beyond a 3-5 point GDP drop in the first two years after that no one can really say what is going to happen, certainly not the treasury. Given that EU exports account for 12% of GDP we would have to lose more than half of it without any domestic demand to replace the losses. I find that highly unlikely.
  • Options

Can this be translated as. 'Increasing doubt about accuracy of phone polls, big uptick in bets on Brexit, oh eck Leave might actually win this?

EU Army is great for Remain.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

chestnut said:

Actually our rebate is only 10% now thanks to a certain A Blair. The gross contribution is £18bn and the post rebate contribution is £16.2bn, after that the EU spends around £6bn on grants, CA subsidies and development funds making our net contribution around £10bn, about £200m per week. One could suggest that we may have a cheaper agricultural subsidies programme but I would use the £200m figure if I was I charge of Leave.
    One could also suggest we might not spend quite a lot of that £6bn the way the EU wants it spent, or indeed at all, especially since in many cases we have to match the amount from general taxation to get it, which makes it substantially more expensive than the face value suggests.

All that money the EU spends of "opinion formers" to ensure it gets the right sort of coverage in exactly the BrExit sort of situation, is not only scandalous, but extremely unlikely to be replicated by a national government.
  • Options
    Got a guy repairing my roof this morning. He's got a white van and is quite a regular at the Bournville Social Club. Tells me that he voted Con in the 2015 election (he was a last minute waverer from UKIP) and he tells me also that he's voting Leave and that ALL his mates are voting LEAVE.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,984
    "The basis for ministers to dismiss such a referendum result perhaps?"

NO
  • Options

Yet where the money is going, Remain are still circa 80% on course to win.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

TGOHF said:

What a suprise.

LOL, Mike. You know you write these headlines and headers to get precisely this reaction ...
    I tbink the word is clickbait
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,319
    edited May 2016
    'Post election the INNERS would have very strong ground for complaint and you could just see' Cameron dismissing a LEAVE outcome.'

Sorry Mike but that's just silly. If Leave wins by a single vote Dave will initiate the Brexit mechanisms that afternoon, at the same time as appointing Boris and IDS as the joint heads of his post-EU negotiation task force. He'll then sit back and enjoy the fun.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Does anyone have figures for EU country gross contributions to the EU budget by percentage of GDP? Where would the UK come on that table?

Sorry, found the answer. It is actually quite surprising ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8036097.stm#start
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548

tpfkar said:

If lies and inaccuracies are pointed out, then what is the problem? Voters have been told in advance of going to the polls and can make their choices with that in mind. There would be absolutely no basis whatsoever for overturning a result in such circumstances.

I know, I know. I guess I'm just hankering after a world where facts and figures matter more, and spin, assertion and bluster less. Can't I dream?
  • Options
    Speaking of DODGY CLAIMS, are there any statistics available on the probability of WW3 started if we vote BREXIT?
  • Options

Do we have any evidence on volume rather than value ? A few high rollers heaping cash on one side or the other can completely screw up the usefulness of the betting figures. The number of punters placing bets on one side or the other might be more indicative.

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,726

tpfkar said:

Lying in a campaign can have consequences:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8114108/Labour-MP-Phil-Woolas-loses-seat-over-election-lies.html
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    £8.5 billion is the net figure, which corresponds to £163 million a week (£23 million a day).
  • Options
    Indigo said:

MaxPB said:

chestnut said:

One could also suggest we might not spend quite a lot of that £6bn the way the EU wants it spent, or indeed at all, especially since in many cases we have to match the amount from general taxation to get it, which makes it substantially more expensive than the face value suggests.

All that money the EU spends of "opinion formers" to ensure it gets the right sort of coverage in exactly the BrExit sort of situation, is not only scandalous, but extremely unlikely to be replicated by a national government.
    I don't disagree with you on this. All I'm saying is that £200m per week is probably the fair value figure and it is still a lot of money.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

That was 2007, our figure has gone up since then because of hookers, drug addicts and Tony Blair.
  • Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206

Got a guy repairing my roof this morning. He's got a white van and is quite a regular at the Bournville Social Club. Tells me that he voted Con in the 2015 election (he was a last minute waverer from UKIP) and he tells me also that he's voting Leave and that ALL his mates are voting LEAVE.

Another anecdote alert: I've just come back from the hairdresser and my hairdresser told me that she's been asking customers and staff how they are going to vote on the referendum and she says that out of 60 asked all but three say they will vote Leave.

• Options

TGOHF said:

What a suprise.

Vapid bilge!
  • Options

£8.5 billion is the net figure, which corresponds to £163 million a week (£23 million a day).

One of the Remainiacs on a previous thread preferred it expressed in Mars Bars per day.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Indigo said:

Do we have any evidence on volume rather than value ? A few high rollers heaping cash on one side or the other can completely screw up the usefulness of the betting figures. The number of punters placing bets on one side or the other might be more indicative.

Well take Ladbrokes, Shadsy has been saying he's been taking more money/bets on Leave, and yet the price on Remain is 1/6, which is still the best price for Remain with the traditional bookies.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

There is £25bn in the kitty from overseas aid and EU contributions.

Leave's big mistake is going so small on what they can do and how much they have to work with to ensure smooth transition.

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/732634881029726208
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    FPT
    What is the correct figure - I hand the EU £20, the EU says I can have £3 in CAP back, and another £6 which must be given to a Scotsman, and only provided I give the Scotsman another £6 too? Because I think the EU projects are mostly in Scotland and Wales? Or have I got it wrong?

Yes you have it wrong big time. Westminster decide where the money is spent , ie last time they allocated 200 million to Scotland as poor area, UK gave it to English farmers.
  • Options

Speaking of DODGY CLAIMS, are there any statistics available on the probability of WW3 started if we vote BREXIT?

What about betting odds?
  • Options

tpfkar said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8114108/Labour-MP-Phil-Woolas-loses-seat-over-election-lies.html
    Except that neither side is really lying most of the time, they are just using endless #WeaselWords.

I dont think I have ever seen the word "could" has been quite so often and with quite such abandon. In almost every case it would be replaced with "won't" without reducing accuracy of the statement in the slighest. Its so bad it's starting to be noticed even by the public!
  • Options
    What will cause Leave damage is that Sarah Wollaston, a Doctor and Leaver herself has said she won't be doing anything that has this inaccurate stat.

If your own side says the figure is dodgy....
  • Options

What will cause Leave damage is that Sarah Wollaston, a Doctor and Leaver herself has said she won't be doing anything that has this inaccurate stat.

£163 million a week :)
  • Options

You mean where the money is going in low stakes explicit political betting markets, vs where the money is going in the real world, high stakes financial markets?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

tpfkar said:

Except that neither side is really lying most of the time, they are just using endless #WeaselWords.

I dont think I have ever seen the word "could" has been quite so often and with quite such abandon. In almost every case it would be replaced with "won't" without reducing accuracy of the statement in the slighest. Its so bad it's starting to be noticed even by the public!
    LEAVING "could" result in OGH eating his hat.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

2007?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

You mean where the money is going in low stakes explicit political betting markets, vs where the money is going in the real world, high stakes financial markets?
    Well given the strengthening pound it is pretty clear that the markets are betting on Remain also. Good for me as I have to go to Greece at the end of the month and I haven't paid the hotel bill yet.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,436
    The IFS published a couple of months ago a comprehensive analysis of the EU budget and contributions.

http://www.ifs.org.uk/tools_and_resources/budget-european-union

• Options
    john_zims said:

@david_herdson

"There is no such thing as "EU Money". There is only taxpayers' money!"
  • Options

The IFS published a couple of months ago a comprehensive analysis of the EU budget and contributions.

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604
    I agree with Mike that Leave would be better advised to use figures that stand scrutiny. The UK's net contribution is huge whatever way you look at it, so the Leave campaign has no need to exaggerate the figure. Doing so not only undermines this key claim but it also makes it harder for Leave to credibly challenge some of the statistical guff that the Government is making its departments come up with.

The BBC's "More or Less" figure looked at this about a month back and came up with a figure of a net contribution of about £8.5 billion annually, in the same ball park of the figure of the IFS.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

tpfkar said:

Question is why they are not calling out the absolute whoppers that the government and their lapdogs are coming out with.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196
    Ignoring a Leave result would b the death of the story Party.
  • Options

Thanks
  • Options

I think it's slightly different. In 2010, the Lib Dems made a particular promise the centrepiece of their campaign and then did the exact opposite in government. With EURef, both sides have been running Projects Fear, so the losing side will have apocalyptic predictions proven hysterical while the winners may find their rosy assertions sullied by events.

But I agree that the quality of the campaign has been dire.
  • Options

From memory she says the consrvative leadership is a bit dodgy

it's your own side saying it.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196
    malcolmg said:

tpfkar said:

Question is why they are not calling out the absolute whoppers that the government and their lapdogs are coming out with.
    Because it's speculative bs. It's just an opinion about what might happen. No one can say it's definitely rubbish.
  • Options
    Anyhoo

@rafaelbehr: So Vote Leave promoting a bet that sounds like a treat but is in fact mathematically close to impossible. Could be a metaphor for something.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,057
    edited May 2016
    MTimT said:

It's in the Wikipedia page on the EU budget.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_of_the_European_Union

All the rich countries of the EU pay between 0.24% and 0.32% of GDP. We are 0.25%.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Seeing the debates yesterday it really struck me that class is a big factor in this referendum. Working class woman whose disabled mum can't get a bungalow being lectured by well heeled middle class lefty student.

One class of people looking down on another for complaining that immigration is having big impact on their lives.

Who outnumbers who and how many will vote? anyone's guess.
  • Options

From memory she says the consrvative leadership is a bit dodgy

it's your own side saying it.

We're a broad church, not like the sheep that is the SNP, who can't criticise their own side.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    taffys said:

Seeing the debates yesterday it really struck me that class is a big factor in this referendum. Working class woman whose disabled mum can't get a bungalow being lectured by well heeled middle class lefty student.

One class of people looking down on another for complaining that immigration is having big impact on their lives.

Eactly my thoughts. Thats why Leave has made a huge mistake not making Labour leave politicians as front and centre of their campaign instead of bloody Boris Johnson. Jeez.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

What about betting odds?
    I can give you good odds that there won't be world war 3 in the next 10 years. (World war 3 being defined as a major exchange of nuclear ordinance (10GT+) between America, the UK, France, Russia and China. A nuclear war between India and Pakistan only or Israel and Iran only won't count.)

If I lose and there is world war 3 - do you want the winnings sent to heaven, hell or purgatory?
  • Options
    taffys said:

Historically the working class don't turn out to vote as much as the middle classes.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,057
    MaxPB said:

MTimT said:

Well given the strengthening pound it is pretty clear that the markets are betting on Remain also. Good for me as I have to go to Greece at the end of the month and I haven't paid the hotel bill yet.
    I'm off to Greece tomorrow :lol:
  • Options
    nunu said:

taffys said:

Eactly my thoughts. Thats why Leave has made a huge mistake not making Labour leave politicians as front and centre of their campaign instead of bloody Boris Johnson. Jeez.
    Boris won in London twice - he's got cross party appeal.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    There is a snowballs chance in hell of a Leave result being dismissed.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@david_herdson

The public is actually depressingly keen on that. Look at the support for taking all sorts of decisions out of the hands of accountable ministers and MPs, and handing them to experts, commissions, boards and the like. The view that politicians shouldn't have a say in the NHS, for example, is quite widespread.

It's not who spends it that really matters; it's whether it's spent well and on what, where the battle lies.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604
    Two further consequence of Leave choosing to run with a headline figure on (exaggerated) gross rather than net contributions are that:
    1. It's then difficult without being utterly contradictory to use the (true) claim that we pay in about 3 times as much to the EU as we get back in EU payments. The Remain campaign is going to great lengths to highlight all of the projects funded by various EU contributions, and the "3 times in than what we get back" is the obvious rebuttal to all that.
    2. It also makes it harder for them to focus on the fact that it's the EU not the UK that dictates where those EU payments are and are not applied and the questionable nature of much of those payments on a harmonised one-size-fits-all basis (e.g. precisely how the EU chooses to deploy its farm subsidies in support of large scale agribusiness should be more than a little contentious.)
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

taffys said:

Historically the working class don't turn out to vote as much as the middle classes.

Historically.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Murray wins in straight sets 6:1 6:4 7:6
  • Options

Two further consequence of Leave choosing to run with a headline figure on (exaggerated) gross rather than net contributions are that:
    1. It's then difficult without being utterly contradictory to use the (true) claim that we pay in about 3 times as much to the EU as we get back in EU payments. The Remain campaign is going to great lengths to highlight all of the projects funded by various EU contributions, and the "3 times in than what we get back" is the obvious rebuttal to all that.
    2. It also makes it harder for them to focus on the fact that it's the EU not the UK that dictates where those EU payments are and are not applied and the questionable nature of much of those payments on a harmonised one-size-fits-all basis (e.g. precisely how the EU chooses to deploy its farm subsidies in support of large scale agribusiness should be more than a little contentious.)

The Sunil on Sunday's "Be LEAVE" campaign has always used the net £8.5 billion (2015) figure.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    john_zims said:

@david_herdson

I don't suppose that those members of the electorate who don't like that much like the fact that electors who don't care much one way or the other have votes, either.

Just wait until REMAIN squeak home on the votes of Celts and non-whites, and then hear the whines and rages...

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

taffys said:

Historically.

That Austrian President vote was stark, but I think the middle class in the UK will be more mixed - especially the small business entrepreneur class and their employees?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

nunu said:

taffys said:

Boris won in London twice - he's got cross party appeal.

Note that it should be past tense HAD rather than has.. Boris has been a berk.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Anyhoo

@rafaelbehr: So Vote Leave promoting a bet that sounds like a treat but is in fact mathematically close to impossible. Could be a metaphor for something.

I imagine it is to obtain voter information. For £50,000 it could be money well spent.
  • Options
    Lord Ashcroft's latest focus group

Finally, in the wake of Sister Sledge, Alesha Dixon, East 17 and 5ive pulling out of Leave.EU’s campaign concert, who did the groups think might be drafted in as pro-Brexit replacements? “One of them two brothers. The Gallaghers.” “I think more like Chas and Dave”. “Morrissey, because he likes to be controversial.” “Sinead O’Connor would want us out.” “Jedward”. “The Spice Girls with their Union Jack.”

And on the remain side? “Paul McCartney, Bob Geldof, Bono, Sting, the likes of that.” “Cliff Richard.” Anyone else? “That Gary Barlow.”

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/05/turkey-migrants-the-euro-army-the-price-of-freedom-and-the-neutrality-paradox-my-referendum-focus-groups-in-leeds/
  • Options
    This is my favourite HSJ BMA leak.

Dr Malawana - chairman of the committee - dismissed January’s negotiation talks overseen by the mediation service Acas as “rubbish” and “playing the political game of looking reasonable”.

Still, just 125 000 appts and operations were cancelled as part of their charade. Many of us said that the junior doctors would live to regret this - I never expected it would explode so messily. Who'd trust anything their union says ever again?
This discussion has been closed.