Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why REMAIN, even at the very tight odds currently available

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,137
    Mr. Enjineeya, castigating those with the temerity to disagree with you as being failures, rather than making an argument expounding the wonderfulness of the EU, is not a stellar argument.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,794
    edited May 2016
    DavidL said:

This is a serious change of pace after the Twenty20 bashfest.

Refreshing isn't it? 13 from eight overs rather than 130! At least the openers survived the first half an hour. Have fun, those who are going to watch.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,023
    edited May 2016

CD13 said:

Science is never finished. And never certain.

The great tragedy of science—the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact

Thomas Henry Huxley
    Stomach ulcers spring to mind

The Dr. Who Drank Infectious Broth, Gave Himself an Ulcer, and Solved a Medical Mystery
    The medical elite thought they knew what caused ulcers and stomach cancer. But they were wrong—and did not want to hear the answer that was right.
    http://discovermagazine.com/2010/mar/07-dr-drank-broth-gave-ulcer-solved-medical-mystery

"Barry J. Marshall and Robin Warren, two Australian researchers who discovered the bacterium Helicobacter pylori and deciphered its role in gastritis and peptic ulcer disease, have been awarded this year's Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine. 31 Oct 2005.
    Yes, a fine piece of diligent (and daring!) research and a richly deserved Nobel Prize.

There is also a Nobel Prize and shedloads of cash waiting for any researcher who is able to come up with a better theory than AGW to explain the current warming of the Earth. No takers as yet, though.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,308

It is very hard to come up with an alternative explanation for the fact of global warming.

You see, for the earth to be warming, it must now be receiving more energy in the form of solar radiation than it is emitting in the form of thermal radiation. We know that the output of the sun has not changed substantially, nor have the earth's orbital parameters changed, so we're still receiving the same amount of energy.

What has changed is the composition of the earth's atmosphere - it now contains 40% more CO2, a greenhouse gas, than it did before the industrial revolution. That is our smoking gun - the earth's temperature is rising because an increased level of greenhouse gases has reduced thermal radiation to space, so that the earth now receives more energy than it emits.

Can you think of a better explanation?

It is not necessary to come up.with an alternative explanation - at least not in pure scientific terms. All that is necessary us to show that the explanation proposed falls down based upon observation or experimentation. Given that there have been both higher and faster changes in global temperature during this interglacial the fact that we have such a change at the moment is no proof that it is due to current CO2 levels. We lack the observational data to support such a hypothesis.
    Certainly the start of the interglacial was marked by a large and rapid rise in temperature - closely matched by a large rise in the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere. However, I dispute your claim that there have been higher and faster changes in global temperature during this interglacial; what evidence is there for this?
    Both the Bronze Age and Roman warming periods were faster and warmer than today. The Medieval warming period was warmer but appears to have been slower to develop.
    Could you give a reference please?
    For Late Neolithic/Bronze Age Warming

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2011GL049444/abstract

Glacial melting in Early Bronze age and Roman periods.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0277379114000511

I would also recommend this paper from the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

http://www.pnas.org/content/97/23/12433.full

I have shelves full of such papers - as well as those which support the AGW hypothesis. Getting them online is more problematic but these are at least a couple of examples.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,379

The junior ministers are

Minister for Childcare and Early Years: Mark McDonald
    Minister for Further Education, Higher Education and Science: Shirley-Anne Somerville
    Minister for Parliamentary Business: Joe FitzPatrick
    Minister for Transport and the Islands: Humza Yousaf
    Minister for Business, Innovation and Energy: Paul Wheelhouse
    Minister for Employability and Training: Jamie Hepburn (Reporting to cabinet secretaries for economy and education)
    Minister for Public Health and Sport: Aileen Campbell
    Minister for Mental Health: Maureen Watt
    Minister for Community Safety and Legal Affairs: Annabelle Ewing
    Minister for Local Government & Housing: Kevin Stewart
    Minister for Social Security: Jeane Freeman
    Minister for International Development and Europe: Alasdair Allan

That’s 22 out of, what 60 or so! Do they all get extra salaries?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,194
    DavidL said:

I've backed Lanka at 20s, they might not win but I don't see how being on the bowling side of 13 without loss halves your chances in the match.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,763

CD13 said:

The great tragedy of science—the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact

Thomas Henry Huxley

The Dr. Who Drank Infectious Broth, Gave Himself an Ulcer, and Solved a Medical Mystery
    The medical elite thought they knew what caused ulcers and stomach cancer. But they were wrong—and did not want to hear the answer that was right.
    http://discovermagazine.com/2010/mar/07-dr-drank-broth-gave-ulcer-solved-medical-mystery

"Barry J. Marshall and Robin Warren, two Australian researchers who discovered the bacterium Helicobacter pylori and deciphered its role in gastritis and peptic ulcer disease, have been awarded this year's Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine. 31 Oct 2005.
    Yes, that's the way science should work.
    Of course just because you are out of line with the majority doesn't mean you are right, e.g. the MMR vaccine controversy.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMR_vaccine_controversy
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822

CD13 said:

Thomas Henry Huxley

Yes, a fine piece of diligent (and daring!) research and a richly deserved Nobel Prize.

There is also a Nobel Prize and shedloads of cash waiting for any researcher who is able to come up with a better theory than AGW to explain the current warming of the Earth. No takers as yet, though.
    We'll find out in about 2m yrs.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Mr. CD13, np :)

Mr. Royale, that Tapper fellow is right about value. Weird as it is to bet on things you think won't happen... *cough*Verstappen*cough*

Dr. Prasannan, pah! No.

Hannibal did his best work in his thirties and forties. Caesar hadn't even got going by then. Antigonus Monopthalmus hadn't either. Enrico Dandolo was conquering Byzantium in his 90s.

Forty, old? You'd have to be mad to think so.

Janacek only really got into his stride in his 60s.
  • Options
    Mr. Enjineeya, an alternative theory is not necessary to doubt another.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,308

CD13 said:

Perhaps EU denial and AGW denial are linked?

The Common Market became the Economic Community became the European Union, just as Global Warming became Climate Change. And if we have an ice age next year, it will become Climate Instability (keep bringing in the research money, whatever you do).

Why do the Old Gits tend to be Leavers? Experience-related cynicism? We've seen it all before. When you're had several governments say "Don't worry, we can always change the direction of travel" and then either fail, or fail to try, you do tend to lose your North Korean levels of enthusiasm.

In some ways it's a pity. As Piggy laments in the William Golding novel ... "He cried for their loss of innocence."

We'll look back in a few years time and say. "Ah, bless, they had no idea, did they?"

My hypothesis is that Old Gits tend to be anti-EU and anti-AGW because they have been less successful in life than they would have liked, but are unable to accept that this is due to their own shortcomings. This leads them place the blame for their perceived lack of success on some form of collusion against them, thus giving rise to a mentality that is conditioned to reject any form of authoritative information. It's one step down from full-blown conspiracy theorist.

It wasn't Piggy, by the way, it was of course Ralph who mourned the loss of innocence.
    Really? I have been astonishingly successful in everything I have done so far - with the one exception of political campaigns where I always seem to pick the losing side. But since I view politicians as slightly less attractive than scorpions (sorry NickP) I am not too concerned by that one dropped ball.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,763

CD13 said:

Thomas Henry Huxley

We'll find out in about 2m yrs.
    Do you have a non-flippant response?
  • Options
    Mr. Wanderer, who is this Janacek fellow?
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited May 2016
    45,605 annual for the Cabinet Secretaries
    28,568 for the Junior Ministers

• Options

Is the number of ministerial positions set (In either Holyrood or Westminster). If they aren't then you can simply get a waxing of the payroll vote at the taxpayer's expense...
  • Options
    Sir Geoffrey is setting us up for a fall by slagging off the Sri Lankan bowlers.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

CD13 said:

The Common Market became the Economic Community became the European Union, just as Global Warming became Climate Change. And if we have an ice age next year, it will become Climate Instability (keep bringing in the research money, whatever you do).

Why do the Old Gits tend to be Leavers? Experience-related cynicism? We've seen it all before. When you're had several governments say "Don't worry, we can always change the direction of travel" and then either fail, or fail to try, you do tend to lose your North Korean levels of enthusiasm.

In some ways it's a pity. As Piggy laments in the William Golding novel ... "He cried for their loss of innocence."

We'll look back in a few years time and say. "Ah, bless, they had no idea, did they?"

My hypothesis is that Old Gits tend to be anti-EU and anti-AGW because they have been less successful in life than they would have liked, but are unable to accept that this is due to their own shortcomings. This leads them place the blame for their perceived lack of success on some form of collusion against them, thus giving rise to a mentality that is conditioned to reject any form of authoritative information. It's one step down from full-blown conspiracy theorist.

I think there's a lot in that. The social groups most likely to support Leave are primarily those who (unkindly perhaps) could be characterised as society's losers. Poorer, less educated, insecure lower-level jobs.
    Well given that two eastern european couriers have made deliveries today, one a cheerful chappie and the other a dour soul (perhaps because he was delivering a massive amount of Vote Leave literature) I am sure UK citizens who might wish to become couriers could feel inclined to vote Out as well. I am not sure where such jobs fit within your elitist world view.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274

CD13 said:

It wasn't Piggy, by the way, it was of course Ralph who mourned the loss of innocence.
    Really? I have been astonishingly successful in everything I have done so far - with the one exception of political campaigns where I always seem to pick the losing side. But since I view politicians as slightly less attractive than scorpions (sorry NickP) I am not too concerned by that one dropped ball.
    Good for you! Take no notice of ludicrous psychobabble.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Is the number of ministerial positions set (In either Holyrood or Westminster). If they aren't then you can simply get a waxing of the payroll vote at the taxpayer's expense...

So that’s £48,228 as an MSP plus the ministerial salaries.
  • Options
    Norm said:

CD13 said:

I think there's a lot in that. The social groups most likely to support Leave are primarily those who (unkindly perhaps) could be characterised as society's losers. Poorer, less educated, insecure lower-level jobs.
    Well given that two eastern european couriers have made deliveries today, one a cheerful chappie and the other a dour soul (perhaps because he was delivering a massive amount of Vote Leave literature) I am sure UK citizens who might wish to become couriers could feel inclined to vote Out as well. I am not sure where such jobs fit within your elitist world view.
    Culture profiling - an obsession of the modern Left.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

I've backed Lanka at 20s, they might not win but I don't see how being on the bowling side of 13 without loss halves your chances in the match.
    That's a good trading bet. A couple of wickets will bring it in sharply.

Oh, and lay the draw. Nothing more than a brief shower forecast for the next five days.
  • Options

Czech composer who wrote almost all his great works in his 60s and 70s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leoš_Janáček

It's not just that his late works were very good but that they were so varied and creative.
  • Options

It is not necessary to come up.with an alternative explanation - at least not in pure scientific terms. All that is necessary us to show that the explanation proposed falls down based upon observation or experimentation. Given that there have been both higher and faster changes in global temperature during this interglacial the fact that we have such a change at the moment is no proof that it is due to current CO2 levels. We lack the observational data to support such a hypothesis.

Certainly the start of the interglacial was marked by a large and rapid rise in temperature - closely matched by a large rise in the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere. However, I dispute your claim that there have been higher and faster changes in global temperature during this interglacial; what evidence is there for this?
    Both the Bronze Age and Roman warming periods were faster and warmer than today. The Medieval warming period was warmer but appears to have been slower to develop.
    Could you give a reference please?
    For Late Neolithic/Bronze Age Warming

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2011GL049444/abstract

Glacial melting in Early Bronze age and Roman periods.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0277379114000511

I would also recommend this paper from the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

http://www.pnas.org/content/97/23/12433.full

I have shelves full of such papers - as well as those which support the AGW hypothesis. Getting them online is more problematic but these are at least a couple of examples.
    Thanks. Those look like interesting papers, but they don't actually dispute AGW, do they?

The first paper discusses variability in the temperature of Greenland snow, while the second is limited to changes in the French Alps. We know that the temperature of Greenland tends to swing all over the place, and Europe is also thought to undergo major regional changes in climate. Neither paper claims that these variations in climate were on a global scale, though, and nobody disputes that chaotic fluctuations in local climate occur.

As for the third paper, yes, climatologists are fully aware that small changes in solar output are likely to be responsible for triggering fluctuations in global temperature. By themselves, though, these fluctuations are far too small to account for the large changes global in temperature evident in the paloeclimatatic record. The corresponding fluctuations in CO2 very strongly suggest that greenhouse feedback was a major amplifying factor.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Norm said:

CD13 said:

The crux of it for me is this.

Our homegrown can't compete here. Better educated, cheaper and more ambitious individuals from 27 countries are hogging the market, and driving down pay.

Remain is advocating a policy that discriminates against our own low/semi-skilled, they're encouraging an Under Class - and don't appear to care. These are surely mostly traditional Labour voters as was - or *losers* as @anothernick so colourfully described them.

Youth unemployment across the EU is frightening, and Remain aren't bothered.

I really don't understand how they can justify this. What are Labour on? No wonder Gisela said they were in danger of handing a huge slab of voters to UKIP.

If Tories were for Remain because they'd get loads of imported cheap labour that wilfully expanded the under-classes, Labour would be honking all day and night.
  • Options
    Mr. Wanderer, ah, cheers.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,705
    The (vote rigging) dinosaurs have spoken.

https://twitter.com/STVNews/status/733248451090190336

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,604
    edited May 2016
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

An alternative betting view, name checking politicalbetting.com, but not in a good way. He makes some interesting points but not sure if the way he does so is helpful to his case:

http://alberttapper.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/bet-leave-at-114.html?m=1

Albert is shrewd but, on this occasion, ill-informed about what the bookies are up to.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,582
    Norm said:

CD13 said:

I see no evidence that there are hordes of UK citizens queuing up to become couriers - unemployment is at a record low.

All the polling evidence shows that social groups ABC1 - society's winners - are overwhelmingly in favour of Remain. C2DE are in favour of Leave.

Can anyone name a national organisation representing any business, profession or trade association that favours Leave?
  • Options
    PeterC said:

CD13 said:

Good for you! Take no notice of ludicrous psychobabble.
    If Richard chooses to self-identify as an Old Git, that's entirely his business :-)
  • Options
    I'm sure Ian Kershaw will be thrilled at the prospect of an evening with Ken and a case of merlot.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,543

CD13 said:

Not unkindly. Inaccurately.

I refuse to allow "loser" to be added to the plethora of insults Leavers have to suffer. I know plenty of Brexiteers who are life's winners. Often self-made too.

It would be just as valid to suggest that Remainers were all life's scaredy-cats, those who wouldn't say boo to a goose, all those who can't cope with change because they are safely stuck in a groove.

No, I don't think that either.

• Options

CD13 said:

I refuse to allow "loser" to be added to the plethora of insults Leavers have to suffer. I know plenty of Brexiteers who are life's winners. Often self-made too.

It would be just as valid to suggest that Remainers were all life's scaredy-cats, those who wouldn't say boo to a goose, all those who can't cope with change because they are safely stuck in a groove.

This is going to turn into non competitive sports day isn't it?

We're all winners here. Even the losers.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,294
    Cobyn may be unassailable on the last thread, but he and Labour are on the road to nowhere.

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 53s53 seconds ago
    "Jeremy Corbyn is ready to be Prime Minister":
    Agree: 22%
    Disagree: 65%
    (via Ipsos Mori)
    2 retweets 0 likes
    Reply Retweet 2
    More
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 1m1 minute ago
    "Labour is ready to form the next Government":
    Agree: 27%
    Disagree: 63%
    (via Ipsos Mori)
  • Options

Norm said:

CD13 said:

I see no evidence that there are hordes of UK citizens queuing up to become couriers - unemployment is at a record low.

All the polling evidence shows that social groups ABC1 - society's winners - are overwhelmingly in favour of Remain. C2DE are in favour of Leave.

Can anyone name a national organisation representing any business, profession or trade association that favours Leave?
    Your categorising of lower social groups as 'losers' is highly pejorative. The quality of any decision or position taken is determined by its wisdom not the supposed intelligence and social superiority of those advocating it. There are countless examples of 'superior' people acting with utter foolishness.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Hmmm. I think they are taking the mickey out of you for other reasons.

@helenpidd: Really, Burnham? "It's hard growing up in the north: if you say you want to be a doctor, lawyer or MP you get the mickey taken out of you."
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,917
    "prove" being the important word here....it would be like trying to "prove" to a flat earther that the world is round...no matter how much science, how many photos etc they will just declare not enough proof.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Go on, have the balls to say the corollary of ABC1 - society's winners. C2DE are life's losers.

Go on, say it.

Then explain how 40+ years of the EEC --> EU has elevated them from being life's losers....

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,294

Really, Burnham? "It's hard growing up in the north: if you say you want to be a doctor, lawyer or MP you get the mickey taken out of you."

He really is a bloody fool.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

CD13 said:

The % of well educated, liberally minded Leavers here shows that one doesn't need to be thick, stupid and vulgar to want Brexit. And I say that as someone who loves Jeremy Kyle :smiley:
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Wanderer said:

Czech composer who wrote almost all his great works in his 60s and 70s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leoš_Janáček

It's not just that his late works were very good but that they were so varied and creative.
    Titian also did some of his best work when he was old.

The idea that youth is best is nonsense on stilts. It takes a lifetime to learn to be good at anything and the best people - in any profession or craft - are those who realise how much they don't know, how much they have to learn and who are still learning, still curious, still questioning, right until the moment they die.

Some obvious exceptions e.g sport but generally this is more true than the opposite. One obvious thing you learn with experience is courage though it is sadly still not prevalent enough.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    MSPs are paid 60,685£

Pulpstar said:

• Options
    Not sure about the photo of Raab accompanying that piece. He does look alarmingly like Alan B'stard.....
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176

@helenpidd: Really, Burnham? "It's hard growing up in the north: if you say you want to be a doctor, lawyer or MP you get the mickey taken out of you."

What a tit.

This particular working class Lancastrian lawyer didn't get anything other than good wishes and respect.

Had I said I wanted to be an MP, then maybe...
  • Options

MSPs are paid 60,685£

Pulpstar said:

O/O/D info on Wikipedia. Thanks for the correction.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,014
    Ken Livingstone wants us to REMAIN in the EU!

Believe in BRITAIN!

Be LEAVE!
  • Options

An alternative betting view, name checking politicalbetting.com, but not in a good way. He makes some interesting points but not sure if the way he does so is helpful to his case:

Albert is shrewd but, on this occasion, ill-informed about what the bookies are up to.
    I think he's right that there has been an overreaction to the Ipsos poll.
  • Options
    Blinking heck Remain up to 77% on Betfair
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,149

Norm said:

CD13 said:

Another way of looking at it is that those who do well out of the status quo and aren't bothered about politics aren't inclined to change it.

Those who don't and see political deficiencies in the way we are governed are.
  • Options

What a tit.

This particular working class Lancastrian lawyer didn't get anything other than good wishes and respect.

Had I said I wanted to be an MP, then maybe...
    :+1:

Burnham never fails to unimpress.
  • Options

Confirmed beeeeeppp...
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited May 2016
    Wanderer said:

I think he's right that there has been an overreaction to the Ipsos poll.
    It's this bit I take issue with:

[B]ookmakers are taking positions with 'Remain'. It is likely that Ladbrokes and William Hill have £1m+ liabilities on a 'Leave' win. There are plenty of Leave backers out there, but generally the layers are not prepared to make commensurate changes to their odds when accommodating them. This means their prices don't actually represent market sentiment, but their own trading floor views.

Which doesn't remotely square with this tweet, nor my own experience.
    https://twitter.com/LadPolitics/status/732173264978608128
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,149
    edited May 2016
    PeterC said:

Norm said:

CD13 said:

Your categorising of lower social groups as 'losers' is highly pejorative. The quality of any decision or position taken is determined by its wisdom not the supposed intelligence and social superiority of those advocating it. There are countless examples of 'superior' people acting with utter foolishness.
    A majority of those at the Wannsee Conference had doctorates.
  • Options

CD13 said:

The more I see of Remainers, the more I think it would do them a power of good to be losers for once. They do seem all too often to express the views of people who have had life handed to them on a plate - and hate the notion of anything that would put that at risk...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,328
    Trouble is Ken would never agree that you had proved it.
  • Options
    Greek defence minister giving a statement, looks like they had the missing plane on radar as it fell out of the sky.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,482

The (vote rigging) dinosaurs have spoken.

https://twitter.com/STVNews/status/733248451090190336

Even Turnberry allows women to be members....
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    There are few dilemmas so tormentingly difficult to resolve as which of two dinosaur books to buy a nephew.

Edited extra bit: but now I've decided, I need (well, want) another book to push me over the free delivery threshold. This is not aiding my productivity.
  • Options
    This guy really is a charming racist isn't he...

Oxford student who demanded removal of Rhodes statues insists he has no regrets about making waitress cry because he was 'disrupting whiteness'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3598391/Oxford-student-demanded-removal-Rhodes-statues-insists-no-regrets-making-waitress-cry-disrupting-whiteness.html
  • Options
    Can I just add to the comments expressing disappointment that @Cyclefree's article was replaced after a couple of hours. What a pity.
  • Options

CD13 said:

The more I see of Remainers, the more I think it would do them a power of good to be losers for once. They do seem all too often to express the views of people who have had life handed to them on a plate - and hate the notion of anything that would put that at risk...
    Are you really saying life was handed to me on a plate? I'm a working class Northener.
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346
    dr_spyn said:

Cobyn may be unassailable on the last thread, but he and Labour are on the road to nowhere.

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 53s53 seconds ago
    "Jeremy Corbyn is ready to be Prime Minister":
    Agree: 22%
    Disagree: 65%
    (via Ipsos Mori)
    2 retweets 0 likes
    Reply Retweet 2
    More
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 1m1 minute ago
    "Labour is ready to form the next Government":
    Agree: 27%
    Disagree: 63%
    (via Ipsos Mori)

That's about the same as Milliband, IDS and Hague tended to get. So not a good sign, but also not unprecedentedly bad.
  • Options
    Ipsos-MORI finds Satisfaction with Cameron down from 37% to 31%, and dissatisfaction up from 56% to 61%. Worst net ratings for 3 years

Ipsos-MORI Standard poll finds satisfaction with Corbyn down from 38% to 31%, while dissatisfaction up from 43% to 50%

Ipsos-MORI Standard poll finds leader with the highest level of satisfaction is Nigel Farage with 36% satisfied and 41% dissatisfied.
  • Options

Ipsos-MORI finds Satisfaction with Cameron down from 37% to 31%, and dissatisfaction up from 56% to 61%. Worst net ratings for 3 years

Ipsos-MORI Standard poll finds satisfaction with Corbyn down from 38% to 31%, while dissatisfaction up from 43% to 50%

Ipsos-MORI Standard poll finds leader with the highest level of satisfaction is Nigel Farage with 36% satisfied and 41% dissatisfied.

Politicians are dead popular aren't they....
  • Options
    edited May 2016

CD13 said:

Are you really saying life was handed to me on a plate? I'm a working class Northener.
    "Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you!"
  • Options

Given how bad Cameron's ratings are, makes you wonder why Leave aren't romping home in the polls?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Life's 'winners'? Overcharged renters with degrees from the University of Peckham that have secured them jobs as public sector, call centre operators. :smiley:

• Options

There are few dilemmas so tormentingly difficult to resolve as which of two dinosaur books to buy a nephew.

Edited extra bit: but now I've decided, I need (well, want) another book to push me over the free delivery threshold. This is not aiding my productivity.

Get both dinosaur books, give him the other one at Christmas.
  • Options

Oxford student who demanded removal of Rhodes statues insists he has no regrets about making waitress cry because he was 'disrupting whiteness'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3598391/Oxford-student-demanded-removal-Rhodes-statues-insists-no-regrets-making-waitress-cry-disrupting-whiteness.html

I'd stick him in Venezuela myself.
  • Options
    There's the first wicket!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,482

The irony is, that kind of behavior fits the Oxford stereotype perfectly.
  • Options

CD13 said:

I said you expressed the views of those who have had life handed to them on a plate. But if you want to play Four Yorkshiremen....
  • Options

I've a bit of a thing for glove puppets, my proudest was bought in Utah's Hogel zoo. A fantastic pterodactyl.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

There's the first wicket!

Compton too
  • Options
    England 2 down....
  • Options
    Mr. Wanderer, not a bad idea, though my worry is if he ends up not liking it, or there being too much overlap between the two.
  • Options
    England collapsing faster than the Pakistanis in December 1971?
  • Options

Mr. Wanderer, not a bad idea, though my worry is if he ends up not liking it, or there being too much overlap between the two.

You tight git. You've had a 250/1 winner, buy him an iPad.
  • Options
    +4.75/+30.88/+4.75 :D
  • Options

CD13 said:

snip.
    I said you expressed the views of those who have had life handed to them on a plate. But if you want to play Four Yorkshiremen....
    I was under the impression that TSE's dad was a doctor. And a very successful one.
  • Options

Somebody inform this tw@ that apartheid lost. The Truth and Reconciliation Commission have made his actions nasty racist pettiness....
  • Options

A dinosaur book is always an acceptable gift.
  • Options

What was Cameron doing when he matched 31% rating?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, spoiling children doesn't turn out well.

Also, I had a very small stake.

Also also, we aren't all wealthy to an obscene degree. If you want me to have more money to spend, buy a thousand hardbacks of Sir Edric.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,582
    PeterC said:

Norm said:

CD13 said:

Your categorising of lower social groups as 'losers' is highly pejorative.
    Of course - I am being provocative. You can define winners and losers in many different ways. But many people (Tories especially you would think) define winners as the rich and those in upper social groups.

Has anyone found a representative organisation of a business, trade or profession in favour of Leave yet?
  • Options
    edited May 2016

CD13 said:

My hypothesis is that Old Gits tend to be anti-EU and anti-AGW because they have been less successful in life than they would have liked, but are unable to accept that this is due to

Unlike Leave who are led by the Old Etonian and Oxford educated former editor of the Spectator or the Dulwich educated former City trader?
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited May 2016
    Burnham..what a plonker..he never fails to disappoint
  • Options

Mr Dancer. Is there an equivalent book on Romans or Greeks? Maybe buy that as a follow-up.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,082

CD13 said:

PB certainly doesn't bear that theory out. Most (I would say all, but I'm sure there are one or two I'm forgetting) of what I would think of as PB's most successful members career-wise support Leave. Perhaps it's because they're socially confident and financially self-sufficient enough to back the cause they see as having right on its side.

Some noted Remainers here (not all) seem to have something they want to gain, in terms of patronage etc.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, spoiling children doesn't turn out well.

Also, I had a very small stake.

Also also, we aren't all wealthy to an obscene degree. If you want me to have more money to spend, buy a thousand hardbacks of Sir Edric.

You have a very small stake ?

Fnarr fnarr
  • Options

CD13 said:

My hypothesis is that Old Gits tend to be anti-EU and anti-AGW because they have been less successful in life than they would have liked, but are unable to accept that this is due to

Unlike Leave who are led by the Old Etonian and Oxford educated former editor of the Spectator or the Dulwich educated former City reader ?
    They are prepared to come out of their comfort zone though....
  • Options
    The 20 on SL is now 13.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Unlike Leave who are led by the Old Etonian and Oxford educated former editor of the Spectator or the Dulwich educated former City reader ?
    Are Dave and George "working class Northerners"?
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

A dinosaur book is always an acceptable gift.
    I'd also recommend dinosaur kit models http://www.nhmshop.co.uk/dinosaurs/dinosaur-models.html
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The 20 on SL is now 13.

Backed 10 at 20, laid 15 at 11.5 ;)
  • Options
    Ohhh shit...Root gone...
  • Options
    Arf traded too soon.

Lets let the £30 on the Lanka ride for the moment :p