Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mortimer with a tip for the more adventurous gamblers

Comments

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,870
    MattW said:

Scott_P said:

Interesting

@ProfBrianCox: I'm fed up with Tory school chums plotting to remove Cameron etc. The UK is not your plaything. You want to change PM, call an election.

Oh good, I knew I detested him for some reason.
    It's probably because he's much too logical and scientific about things and has a sense of humour.
    Could be. I'd always thought it was because he's clearly a huge nerd yet has this rather delusional 'I'm making science cool' schtick going on. Surely you'd have to have some cool in the first place to be donating any of it to physics.
    Given that he's a media Prof, he'd be better off spending his time trying to salvage Oxford University from the reputation they are building for moral cowardice:

https://www.change.org/p/oxford-oxford-university-to-revoke-ntokozo-qwabe-s-scholarship-with-immediate-effect/u/16474811

PS Still trying to find out who these BSE celebrities are..
    Quite.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited May 2016

Richard, I don't understand why you repeatedly use insults like 'swivel-eyed' when someone has a different outlook / understanding to you.

Is it because you don't think your argument is strong enough, and so you add the insult?

Or is there another reason?

It's because I'm genuinely gobsmacked at the inconsistency of many Leavers, in this case the palpably bonkers outrage at one US politician 'interfering' and not at another US politician 'interfering'. If I keep repeating my astonishment, it's because I'm so struck by the phenomenon; it really is the most striking thing about the whole referendum.

Although I can 100% guarantee that I'll be misrepresented, let me make clear that I'm not referring to the proposition that Obama shouldn't have commented at all. That's a perfectly reasonable position to take. What is not perfectly reasonable is to be so outraged by one and not the other.

I genuinely don't understand why so many on the Leave side are purblind on issues like this. It's hardly controversial to point out that Trump and Obama were both expressing an opinion on whether the UK should vote for Brexit, and were both expressing an opinion on how hard it would be to negotiate a trade deal with the US. It utterly baffles me that anyone can, with a straight face, argue that only one of those was outrageous.
    1 is a bloke with a dodgy past. The other is the President.

(I'm here all night)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,108

The Nazis drew up the “basic plan” for the European Union decades before it was actually established, a Ukip MEP has claimed.

Gerard Batten on Monday stepped up to defend Boris Johnson, who on Sunday attracted criticism for likening the EU’s aims to those of Adolf Hitler.

Mr Batten however suggested Mr Johnson had actually underplayed the connections between the EU and the Nazis, and that the bloc had “closer links” with the fascists than many realized.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-nazis-created-basic-plan-for-the-european-union-ukip-mep-gerard-batten-says-a7032221.html

Batten's wife is from Thailand
    And?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Richard, I don't understand why you repeatedly use insults like 'swivel-eyed' when someone has a different outlook / understanding to you.

Is it because you don't think your argument is strong enough, and so you add the insult?

It's because I'm genuinely gobsmacked at the inconsistency of many Leavers, in this case the palpably bonkers outrage at one US politician 'interfering' and not at another US politician 'interfering'. If I keep repeating my astonishment, it's because I'm so struck by the phenomenon; it really is the most striking thing about the whole referendum.

Although I can 100% guarantee that I'll be misrepresented, let me make clear that I'm not referring to the proposition that Obama shouldn't have commented at all. That's a perfectly reasonable position to take. What is not perfectly reasonable is to be so outraged by one and not the other.

I genuinely don't understand why so many on the Leave side are purblind on issues like this. It's hardly controversial to point out that Trump and Obama were both expressing an opinion on whether the UK should vote for Brexit, and were both expressing an opinion on how hard it would be to negotiate a trade deal with the US. It utterly baffles me that anyone can, with a straight face, argue that only one of those was outrageous.
    Clowns to the left of you, jokers to the right....
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Our eloquent poster Nabavi
    Though on betting, he's really quite savvy
    Has political views,
    So Cameron-enthused,
    We file them all straight in the lavvy

Chortle, however last week he got very cross with me when I ridiculed his claims to be an "independent thinker".
  • Options

The Nazis drew up the “basic plan” for the European Union decades before it was actually established, a Ukip MEP has claimed.

Gerard Batten on Monday stepped up to defend Boris Johnson, who on Sunday attracted criticism for likening the EU’s aims to those of Adolf Hitler.

Mr Batten however suggested Mr Johnson had actually underplayed the connections between the EU and the Nazis, and that the bloc had “closer links” with the fascists than many realized.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-nazis-created-basic-plan-for-the-european-union-ukip-mep-gerard-batten-says-a7032221.html

Batten's wife is from Thailand
    And?
    And nothing, its the only thing I know about him.

Well done though, good to see you paying attention, good boy.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822

Has political views,
    So Cameron-enthused,

:lol:
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited May 2016
    Good afternoon all. Tried to put a modest £20 on Cammo doing the disappearing trick at 16/1 at my local Paddy Power and they said, nothing doing; we ain't got such a bet. Sigh. :sob:
  • Options
    So I read on here today from Mr Meeks that with regard to immigrant labour the laws of supply and demand may not apply to the price labour gets.
    So tear up those economic text books here is the great Mr Meeks who has cast doubt on one of the few rules of economics that used to be regarded as a fact until along came Mr Meeks.
    A real WTF moment. This is of course an emotive point for those poor feckers who know people that have seen their wages cut through the use of imported labour.....
    Here is the text from wikipedia which may now need to be re-written......
    " For example, assume that someone invents a better way of growing wheat so that the cost of growing a given quantity of wheat decreases. Otherwise stated, producers will be willing to supply more wheat at every price and this shifts the supply curve S1 outward, to S2—an increase in supply. This increase in supply causes the equilibrium price to decrease from P1 to P2."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand
  • Options

Has political views,
    So Cameron-enthused,

Chortle, however last week he got very cross with me when I ridiculed his claims to be an "independent thinker".
    I feel rather coarse for using the word lavvy, but if he will insist on having such a hard to rhyme nick.

I missed his post about being an independent thinker - brilliant!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,386

With friends like Mr Batten, Boris really doesn't need enemies.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmm

Labour antisemitism inquiry will not seek evidence from Ken Livingstone

Chair Shami Chakrabarti says she will not ‘positively solicit’ a submission and that she joined party on day she was appointed

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/may/16/labour-antisemitism-inquiry-shami-chakrabarti-not-seek-evidence-from-ken-livingstone

Ken is going to be let back into the party isn't he.
    I think it's great for Labour to let him back into the party.
    Agreed. Maybe he could bring Hitler up in, I don't know, April 2020?
    Well if Boris is Tory leader in April 2020, is certain.
    Boris Johnson Will Never Be PM.

BJWNBPM.
    New PB rule, no use of acronyms involving Boris Johnson's initials.
    Why not *innocent face*?
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,947

Immigration may or may not hold down wages (the evidence is patchy). It is unlikely to be the main driver of low wage growth in recent years.

In any case, suggesting that this is the vector for Leave's support misses the points that:

1) it is oldies (who are usually retired or shortly to retire) who get most exercised by immigration; and

2) it is people in areas with low immigration who get most exercised by it.

It's all much more explicable by the simpler explanation of xenophobia.

Your no 1 point is bull and just proves to me you haven't a clue on immigration .
    https://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Publications/sri-perceptions-and-reality-immigration-report-summary-2013.pdf

New analysis of Ipsos MORI’s Issues Index also shows the importance of age and
    generation to attitudes on immigration (as shown in Figure 11). Each generation was similarly
    unconcerned in the mid-1990s, with concern increasing for all in the late 1990s, but at
    varying rates. In particular, a generation gap opened up, with the oldest cohort most likely to
    be concerned and the youngest least: by 2013, the pre-war generation were nearly twice as
    likely as generation Y to consider immigration a problem.

I think this shows who hasn't got a clue.
    Yep,posters like you,I live the real life of poor mass immigration of the last few years and I can tell you that it isn't just the oldies who are concerned by immigration,its all age groups and British born immigrants.
    You'll forgive me if I give more credence to an impartial survey than your incoherent ramblings.
    And you can shove your supposed impartial survey up your @rse,I live with the real consequences of poor mass immigration of the last few years.
    I suspect that the blame for your frustration lies with your evident cognitive deficiencies rather than immigrants.
    The blame lies with the government of the day and people like you who thinks everything is ok when immigration comes top of most polls of people concerns.
    Stop shifting the goalposts. Mr Meeks suggested that the elderly are more worried than the young about immigration. You disputed that. I posted a link to a poll showing that about 40% of the elderly consider immigration an important issue as opposed to about 22% of youth, thus supporting Mr Meeks' suggestion. That's all.

Nobody has suggested that "everything is OK when immigration comes top of most polls of people concerns." You just made that up.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2016

Ah, was that when you said I was posting my views here to advance my political career?

No, I didn't get cross, I thought it was absolutely hilarious. Unlike you, I don't have a failed political career to advance, and if I did I wouldn't be posting on here to attempt to advance it.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Immigration may or may not hold down wages (the evidence is patchy). It is unlikely to be the main driver of low wage growth in recent years.

In any case, suggesting that this is the vector for Leave's support misses the points that:

1) it is oldies (who are usually retired or shortly to retire) who get most exercised by immigration; and

2) it is people in areas with low immigration who get most exercised by it.

It's all much more explicable by the simpler explanation of xenophobia.

Your no 1 point is bull and just proves to me you haven't a clue on immigration .
    Alistair I would accept that a small minority of people who are concerned about immigration are xenophobes who don't want any immigration at all but for most people this isn't the case. I would say the main concerns are:

1) We have no control over numbers from the EU. If a million more people decided to come here tomorrow there is nothing we could do
    2) The perception that people who come over can claim benefits and jump the housing queue before contributing anything
    3) It is nigh on impossible to kick out bad apples like Abu Qatada or people who commit crimes
    4) The impact on wages and housing costs

If we had an Australian style system and a maximum limit of say 50k per year, then I think immigration would mostly disappear as an issue.
    Agree with most of that but I would even go up to 100k or over if we needed highly skilled immigration .
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,073
    Mr. Llama, I just saw a tweet which amused me. I'm very polite on Twitter, but Sir Edric reserves the right to be sarcastic, which he exercised.

The Guardian chap reckoned all fantasy is implicitly about social justice. Sir Edric took the opportunity to agree with him.
  • Options

With friends like Mr Batten, Boris really doesn't need enemies.
    Yes I'm told his wife is far more pleasant
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmm

Chair Shami Chakrabarti says she will not ‘positively solicit’ a submission and that she joined party on day she was appointed

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/may/16/labour-antisemitism-inquiry-shami-chakrabarti-not-seek-evidence-from-ken-livingstone

BJWNBPM.
    Why not *innocent face*?
    Because I've still not recovered from Gordon Brown's British Jobs For British Workers
  • Options

Has political views,
    So Cameron-enthused,

I feel rather coarse for using the word lavvy, but if he will insist on having such a hard to rhyme nick.

I missed his post about being an independent thinker - brilliant!
    Oh you should ask him about it, I nearly spilt my Aldi's Lambrini on my laptop
  • Options

One gave an off the cuff remark in an interview and the other came here and had two massive set-pieces with the whole lobby in attendance to denounce Brexit with a script written by Number 10. I'm not sure how they are comparable in anyone's mind but your's Richard.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

One presumes that the lefties will condemn the latest failure to declare "bussing expenses" as rigorously as they condemned the Tories? No doubt Plod will launch an immediate investigation.

Hat tip Guido and Co.

"On April 4 2015, MPs and activists boarded a Labour Express battle bus to Pudsey in order to help the local campaign there. Labour was bussing activists – “troops” as they called them – to a key marginal seat to knock on doors. This should have been declared in the local campaign spend for the short campaign. As you can see below, it wasn’t…"

http://order-order.com/2016/05/16/two-more-labour-candidates-didnt-declare-election-buses/

Not the first Labour clerical errors either in this area.
  • Options
    "Brexit would cost hundreds of billions, warns Osborne"

Times are flashing up an article.

So we've moved from merely billions to hundreds of billions. Desperate stuff really.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmm

BJWNBPM.
    Why not *innocent face*?
    @TSE doesn't like "BJ"s?
  • Options

Ah, was that when you said I was posting my views here to advance my political career?

No, I didn't get cross, I thought it was absolutely hilarious. Unlike you, I don't have a failed political career to advance, and if I did I wouldn't be posting on here to attempt to advance it.
    No, I suggested TSE had a career to advance and that you were an unthinking sycophantic toady.

I'm not sure many sprung to your defence.

Yes, I had a short, fulfilling but failed political career, standing for what you believe in is something that you simply can't reconcile or comprehend. I have nothing to hide or be ashamed of,.

• Options

I don't have a failed political career to advance, and if I did I wouldn't be posting on here to attempt to advance it.

I hope you are not questioning our @NickPalmer's judgement?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

One gave an off the cuff remark in an interview and the other came here and had two massive set-pieces with the whole lobby in attendance to denounce Brexit with a script written by Number 10. I'm not sure how they are comparable in anyone's mind but your's Richard.

Oh, they are not comparable in impact, of course.

But, there you go again, proving my point about normally sensible people once again: 'a script written by Number 10'.

I mean, really? You think the President of the United States reads out scripts written by Osborne or Cameron? Have you considered the possibility that Obama might simply have been telling it like he sees it?
  • Options
    Mr. Max, it has shades of Dr. Evil.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited May 2016
    MaxPB said:

Yes one behaved like a corporate seagull, flew in ate all the food and cr*pped on the place by denigrating us and the other one said he wants to be friends in the face of the insults heaped upon him.
  • Options
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmm

BJWNBPM.
    Why not *innocent face*?
    @TSE doesn't like "BJ"s?
    Charles, I expect more class and decorum from you.

I mean that's the sort of filthy innuendo, a working class Northerner like me would come up with.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

@VapidBilge (good name, can't think where you got it from) - Employment rates are at an all time high, job vacancy rates are touching all time highs, unemployment rates are at a ten year low. So the increase in the supply of labour is not keeping up with the increased demand for it.

In those circumstances, we can reasonably conclude that immigration isn't the main thing holding down wage rises.

Of course it is, if you flood the market with cheap labour you compress wages.

Its why brain surgeons get paid more than roadsweepers.
    I'd be tempted to recruit lots and lots of overseas pension lawyers
    Let them eat cake, says Meeks.

@:tykejohnnie

I haven't been affected by immigration one way or another directly, but I've had hundreds of conversations along the lines of your posts, and I've spent time in Bradford. Don't be dissuaded (not that you will) by the poncy effete elite who call you a racist xenophobe, their time will come.
    Thanks Mr Blackburn,they must be millions of us thickO's according Feersumenjineeya worried or have concerns about the numbers or Quality of immigration.
  • Options
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmm

BJWNBPM.
    Why not *innocent face*?
    @TSE doesn't like "BJ"s?
    Clearly, or maybe the thought of a BJ BJ.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Charles said:

(I'm here all night)
    Don't mess with Donald Trump or they'll be hell toupee.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

So we've moved from merely billions to hundreds of billions. Desperate stuff really.

PLEASE tell me he's said 'hundreds of billions'.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,094

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmm

BJWNBPM.
    Why not *innocent face*?
    @TSE doesn't like "BJ"s?

I mean that's the sort of filthy innuendo, a working class Northerner like me would come up with.
    Shouldn't your rose be a red one rather than white given your recent form ?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmm

BJWNBPM.
    Why not *innocent face*?
    @TSE doesn't like "BJ"s?
    Clearly, or maybe the thought of a BJ BJ.
    The piece I had written for yesterday, but have no pushed back to next weekend begins with

'Like a mistress of Boris Johnson, political gamblers should be laying him non stop'
  • Options

No, I suggested TSE had a career to advance and that you were an unthinking sycophantic toady.

I'm sure Cameron and Osborne have been watching my sycophancy with great attention, in between knobbling the G20 finance ministers, squaring the IMF, writing scripts for Obama, infiltrating the NIESR, dragooning eight former US treasury secretaries, and putting pressure on all the world's investment banks.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

But, there you go again, proving my point about normally sensible people once again: 'a script written by Number 10'.

I mean, really? You think the President of the United States reads out scripts written by Osborne or Cameron? Have you considered the possibility that Obama might simply have been telling it like he sees it?
    @Richard_Nabavi,

I believe you are usually a sensible person who understand the way the world works.

Do you really believe that all these foreign leaders would be sticking their oar in without being requested to do so by No 10? Trading in favours is the way that international diplomacy works.

If you accept that point, then do you really believe that Downing Street would not have had prior sight of / input into Obama's comments? Of course he would not have said anything he didn't want to say, but he if he would not have been (in their view) supportive of the Remain case then they simply wouldn't have invited him to speak.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @GdnPolitics: German politicians criticise Boris Johnson for EU-Hitler comments https://t.co/I7w6FtDUSw

Let me guess, they are doing Cameron a favour...
  • Options
    "George Osborne warns that Brexit would cost £200bn in lost investment and £200bn in trade each year"

Export of goods and services to the EU - £223bn.

Right.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Mr. Llama, I just saw a tweet which amused me. I'm very polite on Twitter, but Sir Edric reserves the right to be sarcastic, which he exercised.

The Guardian chap reckoned all fantasy is implicitly about social justice. Sir Edric took the opportunity to agree with him.

Fair go, Mr. D., I just missed the sarcasm flag in Sir Edric's comment.

The Guardian chap was of course spouting utter rubbish, as you so aptly demonstrated. Perhaps he hasn't read much, probably went to Oxford.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmm

BJWNBPM.
    Why not *innocent face*?
    @TSE doesn't like "BJ"s?

I'm a Yorkshireman, nothing will ever change that, I'm so much of a Yorkshireman, I reckon I can trace my lineage back to Richard Plantagenet
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Well, yes? It's easy for him and as many people have said, "back of the queue" is a British idiom. Americans wouldn't use it.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Just seen the alert - FFS. I expect that to get a giant raspberry in the comments too. Talk about intelligence insulting. It's making 24hrs to save the NHS look plausible
  • Options

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmm

BJWNBPM.
    Why not *innocent face*?
    @TSE doesn't like "BJ"s?

Naturally it should be spelt out in full: Alexander Boris de Pffifel Johnson.

Abbreviating people's names is simply unacceptable. Why we add extensions to our names so we can tell each other apart!

(as a younger son, I just get an "ap", unless I am in Galway in which case I also get an honorific "of Ross-on-Corrib")
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmm

BJWNBPM.
    Why not *innocent face*?
    @TSE doesn't like "BJ"s?

I'm a Yorkshireman, nothing will ever change that, I'm so much of a Yorkshireman, I reckon I can trace my lineage back to Richard Plantagenet
    A Yorkshireman that supports a team from Lancashire
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Coming up at 5pm: Brexit would cost hundreds of billions, warns Osborne - George Osborne warns that Brexit would cost £200bn in lost investment and £200bn in trade each year
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    MaxPB said:

"George Osborne warns that Brexit would cost £200bn in lost investment and £200bn in trade each year"

Right.

They're just hoping people will think...

'Well I know that number is ridiculous, and the figure might be lower, but we still lose out, so I'll vote Remain'.

Will it work?

• Options
    JackW said:

Charles said:

(I'm here all night)
    Alright, keep your hair on.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 56,536
    MaxPB said:

Right.

Maybe he'll try "trillions" next.
  • Options

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmm

BJWNBPM.
    Why not *innocent face*?
    @TSE doesn't like "BJ"s?

I'd put in down to Charles's having to consort with those rough types in NW8 .... he's having to quaff cheap prosecco, and nosh on Iceland sausage rolls and Artic roll from the Co-op at family functions now.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,459
    MaxPB said:

Right.

He's taking a millennia long view
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Scott_P said:

@GdnPolitics: German politicians criticise Boris Johnson for EU-Hitler comments https://t.co/I7w6FtDUSw

Let me guess, they are doing Cameron a favour...

Its almost Fawlty Towers level stuff now on both sides.

• Options

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmm

BJWNBPM.
    Why not *innocent face*?
    @TSE doesn't like "BJ"s?

Working class northerner? You? Your dad was a physician of some sorts wasn't he, and you are a lawyer. Come of it Mr Eagles you are as about as much working class as Cameron
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, you might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment.

Mr. Eagles, back to the Vikings, lad. [I may use some Yorkshire-Viking slang in a short story I'm working on, if it fits].

Mr. Max, those figures are literally incredible.
  • Options
    Charles said:

@Richard_Nabavi,

I believe you are usually a sensible person who understand the way the world works.

Do you really believe that all these foreign leaders would be sticking their oar in without being requested to do so by No 10? Trading in favours is the way that international diplomacy works.

If you accept that point, then do you really believe that Downing Street would not have had prior sight of / input into Obama's comments? Of course he would not have said anything he didn't want to say, but he if he would not have been (in their view) supportive of the Remain case then they simply wouldn't have invited him to speak.

They would have known in advance that he was going to make an intervention, and would certainly have let it be known that they would welcome it.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Right.

They're just hoping people will think...

'Well I know that number is ridiculous, and the figure might be lower, but we still lose out, so I'll vote Remain'.

Will it work?

If the EU Ref becomes as much about Osbo as the AV ref did about Clegg then "Remain" have a serious problem on their hands.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Two little bytes of information on potential future Labour MPs or candidates:

Shami Chakrabarti has announced she has recently joined the party;

Dr Palmer, of this parish, has, I believe, announced on his blog that he has returned to a more active political role and is considering selections.

Shami must be one of the most overrated public figures around.

Andy Burnham once slagged her off, and had to apologise, so she must not be all that bad.
    She has two big faults to my mind:-

1. Her espousal of liberal principles is not very consistent. And not particularly principled either.
    2. She has not thought hard enough - or at all, were I to be unkind - about how to maintain liberal principles when they are under assault from those who don't believe in them, the paradox that too much tolerance of intolerance can allow intolerance to win and to destroy the very liberalism you are claiming to espouse.

The need to maintain and argue vigorously for Western liberalism - a muscular confident liberalism - not the mushy "we are to blame for everything" liberal self-delusion which often masquerades as real liberalism needed a much better defender than it got in her. Who has even followed her at Liberty?

Other than that she's OK. Mind you there is stuff in her personal life which may mean she may not want the exposure of public life. Nothing shocking to my mind just private stuff but the sort of stuff that papers can turn into a something, if they were minded to.

She's a bit of a goer, by all accounts.
    Is she?

She seems totally humourless to me. I can't recall her ever laughing or smiling or thinking the appropriate response to any joke is anything other is to earnestly shake her head at it, and demand a retraction or apology.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Right.

It's beyond desperate - and Remain sqweem about £350m from Leave
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Coming up at 5pm: Brexit would cost hundreds of billions, warns Osborne - George Osborne warns that Brexit would cost £200bn in lost investment and £200bn in trade each year
    Don't panic Mr Mainwaring.

This is where they've lost it, sensible discussion has gone out of the window, the queues round the block when N Rock went tits up are nothing, that'll be us queueing for bread.
  • Options
    Primary and Secondary Income (investment income) from the EU - £58.5bn

"£200bn"

Right.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,070
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Well, yes? It's easy for him and as many people have said, "back of the queue" is a British idiom. Americans wouldn't use it.

Not true:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/04/23/queue-obamas-use-of-british-english-makes-brits-suspicious/

• Options
    edited May 2016

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmm

BJWNBPM.
    Why not *innocent face*?
    @TSE doesn't like "BJ"s?

Working class northerner? You? Your dad was a physician of some sorts wasn't he, and you are a lawyer. Come of it Mr Eagles you are as about as much working class as Cameron
    I'm from the North, I work, that makes me a working class Northerner doesn't it ?
  • Options
    JackW said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmm

BJWNBPM.
    Why not *innocent face*?
    @TSE doesn't like "BJ"s?

I'd put in down to Charles's having to consort with those rough types in NW8 .... he's having to quaff cheap prosecco, and nosh on Iceland sausage rolls and Artic roll from the Co-op at family functions now.
    They charge 89p for Shreddies at Iceland vs £2.79 at Tesco...

What's not to like?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

@VapidBilge (good name, can't think where you got it from) - Employment rates are at an all time high, job vacancy rates are touching all time highs, unemployment rates are at a ten year low. So the increase in the supply of labour is not keeping up with the increased demand for it.

In those circumstances, we can reasonably conclude that immigration isn't the main thing holding down wage rises.

Of course it is, if you flood the market with cheap labour you compress wages.

Its why brain surgeons get paid more than roadsweepers.
    I'd be tempted to recruit lots and lots of overseas pension lawyers
    I'm sure Mr Meeks can defend himself against you easily but Law firms have frequently recruited large numbers of Australian and NZ lawyers generally in areas such as corporate, banking and capital markets where skills are easily transferable. Pensions combines esoteric and real local knowledge so overseas recruitment is significantly harder. Like tax, it's generally a repository of really bright people. The competition between law firms is real and pricing for any given matter can vary widely.

But you don't want facts you want to write WTF and cut and paste articles without any evidence of having considered them.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Arf

Top rated comment BBC: "Donald Trump warning over UK relationship"

5 hours ago

Well I'm not that keen on our Prime Minister either - so Trump has a point.

^ 427 v 80
  • Options
    Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

(I'm here all night)
    As on election night rcs1000 said to his father ....
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, she's considerably holier-than-thou, to Enfieldise the saying.
  • Options
    Daniel Hannan
    Daniel Hannan – Verified account ‏@DanHannanMEP

How dare Boris compare the EU to... no, wait, sorry: that's goody-goody federalist Giscard.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DanHannanMEP/status/732174333649506304
  • Options
    Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmm

BJWNBPM.
    Why not *innocent face*?
    @TSE doesn't like "BJ"s?

What's not to like?
    The taste .... :smile:
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Arf

Top rated comment BBC: "Donald Trump warning over UK relationship"

5 hours ago

Well I'm not that keen on our Prime Minister either - so Trump has a point.

^ 427 v 80

:lol:
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I think it's slightly naïve to believe that the parameters of the interview were not discussed with Trump in advance and that he was not told he would be asked certain questions. And, of course, he could just have said No Comment.

• Options
    I see that some people have taken the misquote seriously!

Calm down, dears:

[Osborne] said Treasury analysis suggested Britain could lose out on up to £200bn of trade by 2030, if it left the EU and reverted to World Trade Organization trading rules

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/16/osborne-balls-and-cable-unite-to-argue-case-for-remaining-in-eu
  • Options
    Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

(I'm here all night)
    Which reminds me ....

I'm hearing a rumour that the first act of President Trump will be rename the Presidential aircraft - Hair Force One ....
  • Options
    Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmm

BJWNBPM.
    Why not *innocent face*?
    @TSE doesn't like "BJ"s?

What's not to like?
    Shreddies?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    MaxPB said:

Right.

Lol.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmm

BJWNBPM.
    Why not *innocent face*?
    @TSE doesn't like "BJ"s?

What's not to like?
    The taste .... :smile:
    Oops, beat me to it.
  • Options
    Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmm

BJWNBPM.
    Why not *innocent face*?
    @TSE doesn't like "BJ"s?

What's not to like?
    Just as a matter of interest, how close is the nearest Iceland to St John's Wood High Street?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,651
    JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

(I'm here all night)
    Which reminds me ....

I'm hearing a rumour that the first act of President Trump will be rename the Presidential aircraft - Hair Force One ....
    His first trip to Camp David might inspire a new nickname for our PM.
  • Options
    When one considers that our largest sector deficit is finished manufactured goods, would the EU really want to start imposing tariffs and barriers for goods that could probably be produced in the UK for the same cost if there was less inertia?
  • Options
    I said last week Leave were having all the fun, fun is good. Let's leave war, pestilence and armageddon to Remain.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmm

BJWNBPM.
    Why not *innocent face*?
    @TSE doesn't like "BJ"s?

What's not to like?
    Just as a matter of interest, how close is the nearest Iceland to St John's Wood High Street?
    There's one in East Finchley.
  • Options

Calm down, dears:

[Osborne] said Treasury analysis suggested Britain could lose out on up to £200bn of trade by 2030, if it left the EU and reverted to World Trade Organization trading rules

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/16/osborne-balls-and-cable-unite-to-argue-case-for-remaining-in-eu

This is a very effective Leave tactic, though. Because they are not able to engage with the argument they seek instead to distort what the argument is. They are very cleverly creating a meme that everything Remain says is wildly over the top and so can be safely ignored. Remain have to find a way round that. It's straight out of the SNP's Indy playbook.

• Options

Calm down, dears:

Awww Richard you spoilsport
  • Options
    Mr. Max, given the absence of tariffs on Iceland, Turkey, and all points in between it would be an act of singular vindictiveness to uniquely seek to impose them upon us.
  • Options

Calm down, dears:

Ah, the same gravity model as last time then. The same one that said previously we should join the Euro!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmm

BJWNBPM.
    Why not *innocent face*?
    @TSE doesn't like "BJ"s?

What's not to like?
    There's one in East Finchley.
    That would come under the heading of "not that close" then.
  • Options

Calm down, dears:

This is a very effective Leave tactic, though. Because they are not able to engage with the argument they seek instead to distort what the argument is. They are very cleverly creating a meme that everything Remain says is wildly over the top and so can be safely ignored. Remain have to find a way round that. It's straight out of the SNP's Indy playbook.

Oh come on SO its nothing of the sort, its about ridiculing outrageous claims. Look at Osborne, Cable and Balls lined up on the runway, I mean who on earth thought that was a good idea? What they said was irrelevant.

Remain are doing a Spurs, a predictable choke to the merriment of the opposition.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Has political views,
    So Cameron-enthused,

Hilarious.
  • Options

In this case I think it was a misquote by the Times, but it's indicative that people didn't engage brain and immediately see that Osborne couldn't possibly have said that.

On your main point, I'm not sure that it is a smart approach by the Leave campaign. It might be, but the risk from their point of view is that voters agree that the warnings are over the top, but conclude that there might be something in them. As I've said before, Remain only need to sow enough doubt, not win the argument.
  • Options

JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

(I'm here all night)
    Which reminds me ....

His first trip to Camp David might inspire a new nickname for our PM.
    And the first meeting with Mrs Trump - the new First Lady ....

PM - "Melania, lovely to meet you. Now tell me what attracted you to Donald apart from his $10bn and high blood pressure ...."
  • Options

Calm down, dears:

It may be very effective because the scare stories are so obviously implausible, How do you engage with someone spouting complete nonsense? You cannot have a rational debate with a lunatic.
  • Options

In this case I think it was a misquote by the Times, but it's indicative that people didn't engage brain and immediately see that Osborne couldn't possibly have said that.

On your main point, I'm not sure that it is a smart approach by the Leave campaign. It might be, but the risk from their point of view is that voters agree that the warnings are over the top, but conclude that there might be something in them. As I've said before, Remain only need to sow enough doubt, not win the argument.
    Nah, they see three untrustworthy figures stood behind lecterns on a runway. That'll do.
  • Options

Calm down, dears:

Oh come on SO its nothing of the sort, its about ridiculing outrageous claims. Look at Osborne, Cable and Balls lined up on the runway, I mean who on earth thought that was a good idea? What they said was irrelevant.

Remain are doing a Spurs, a predictable choke to the merriment of the opposition.
    Unfortunately the LEAVE team a doing an Aston Villa ....
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,970

Calm down, dears:

The most sensible comments came from O'Leary, interestingly. Unlike the others he has run a successful company, regardless of what you think of Ryanair's customer service
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

When one considers that our largest sector deficit is finished manufactured goods, would the EU really want to start imposing tariffs and barriers for goods that could probably be produced in the UK for the same cost if there was less inertia?

There will not be tariffs on manufactured goods between the EU and the UK. It is highly unlikely there will be tariffs on services.

The issues, as always, are about using 'regulation' as a non-tariff barrier. NAFTA, for example, prohibits using local standards as an NTB, with the consequence that Canada's standards office has become essentially defunct; everyone simply manufacturers to US and standards and ships into the US.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,061
    edited May 2016

Punching the bruise....

In the post-Leicester world, absolutely nothing is certain. Apart from Arsenal finishing somewhere between second and fourth. And Spurs being behind them. And Sunderland ending up 17th. And Stoke ninth. But apart from that, anything can happen. The Premier League may not be the best league in the world. It may not be the most exciting. But Leicester just made it the most interesting.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/2/10284545/premier-league-review-leicester-city-smash-premier-league-glass-ceiling
  • Options

Calm down, dears:

It may be very effective because the scare stories are so obviously implausible, How do you engage with someone spouting complete nonsense? You cannot have a rational debate with a lunatic.
    Never argue with an idiot in the street, passers by can't tell the difference
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,651
    edited May 2016
    JackW said:

And the first meeting with Mrs Trump - the new First Lady ....

PM - "Melania, lovely to meet you. Now tell me what attracted you to Donald apart from his $10bn and high blood pressure ...."

From the archives here's Dame Edna on the sofa with the Donald and Ivana Trump in 1990. The Trump bit starts at 15:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bif7PmlIHwc
  • Options
    The start of this polemic from O'Leary is most amusing given today

https://twitter.com/PlatoSays/status/732204563625869312
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,970
    Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmm

BJWNBPM.
    Why not *innocent face*?
    @TSE doesn't like "BJ"s?

What's not to like?
    Strangely, when I checked the other day their plain flour was twice the price of Waitrose.
This discussion has been closed.