Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After nearly a week without polls the sentiment on Betfair

1235»

Comments

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,043

ydoethur said:

You can wheel in as many of the great and good as you like but in a world where CEOs trough salaries 150* that of their employees (hat tip Boris) all the likes of Lagarde, Carney and Obama are seen as is mill owners trying to feed propaganda to further they and their Oligarchies nests.

It's great to see that Boris has suddenly discovered the earnings gap. But it's unclear how that squares with his oft-stated belief that very rich people should be paying even less tax than they do now.

Consistency was never his long suit though was it? I seem to remember he used to talk a lot about the importance of family life and supporting marriage as well...

Yep, Boris is so eaten up with concern about this issue that he has never taken any steps as either an MP or as London mayor to do anything about it.

But, but, but ... Hitler

Of course, like many Leavers on here, eight months ago Boris was a fully signed up supporter og government fiscal and economic policies predicated on EU membership and large scale immigration.

Excuse me?

Considering the preponderance of Tories and Kippers on this board, where exactly are these Leavers who supported large scale immigration?

Remember this?

“I believe that will mean net migration to this country will be in the order of tens of thousands each year, o the best and brightest from around the world and those fleeing persecution. But with us, our borders will be under control and immigration will be at levels our country can manage. No ifs. No buts. That’s a promise we made to the British people, and it’s a promise we are keeping.”

All those who supported Osborne's plans to eliminate the deficit by 2020/1 were supporting a plan reliant on high-levels of continued immigration from the EU. If they don't now support his plan, what are they proposing? Moving the target, raising taxes, more cuts in public spending, or what?

Really? I don't remember that being that being pointed out. In fact, I actually quoted David Cameron saying that he would restrict immigration, but have blithely ignored that in preference to your made-up "facts".

And what exactly is wrong with cutting back on Labour's ludicrous overspending?

It's been very widely covered:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3341170/Migration-DOUBLE-Cameron-s-tens-thousands-target-tackle-deficit-amid-claims-PM-given-borders.html
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    surbiton said:

All these head banging Leavers attacking Cameron and Osborne: where have they been the last 6 years ?

Me? Attacking Cameron and Osborne.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    Blue_rog said:

Cyclefree said:

That chart should terrify the Remainers.
    It's an interesting chart. Does it mean that those with the longest experience of the EU are the ones most likely to vote Leave? Generally - and I realise this is a huge generalisation - the older you get the more risk-averse you are and, whatever else can be said for it, leaving the EU involves risk.

Its one of the conundrums of the referendum - the older/risk averse in favour of change, the younger/adventurous in favour of the status quo.

How this will all shake out, goodness knows.....

I reckon a good 'Pensions scare Warning if Brexit' may be coming to us soon....that and moral blackmail 'think of your grand kids'.....
    It could be that the younger generation haven't had their optimism ground out of them - yet and feel that there's a chance to 'change the EU from the inside'
    More likely that pensioners are less likely to be screwed over by any negative effects of Brexit. Also fair to say that as a whole the older generation are less tolerant with regard to immigration.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    On 24th June, the headline will be: It's the Labour voters wot won it !
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    surbiton said:

All these head banging Leavers attacking Cameron and Osborne: where have they been the last 6 years ?

In the (Kipper) closet
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2016

Scott_P said:

I wouldn't normally cite Heffer, however he's making the Boris point too. DT clearly thinks this is a winner with their readers.

The curious thing about that argument, if you agree with it, is that Boris is proposing that instead of standing up to the Germans like Churchill we run away and hide.

It's bizarre
    How exactly did Cameron stand up to the Germans when Merkel unilaterally opened the EU's borders to anyone who could get on a boat from Turkey? There was no democratic process there, no discussion with fellow EU members. They just did what Germany wanted - and fuck the rest of you...

Which number Reich do you wish to ascribe that attitude to?
    I love this argument from Leavers indignant because Angela Merkel exercised Germany's sovereign right to decide its own policy on migrants: i.e arguing for 'more Europe'.

This really is turning out to be the most hilarious political contest I've ever seen.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,760
    edited May 2016
    surbiton said:

Be a good REMAINER - don't try to think!

Never remove your blinders!
  • Options

Cameron has belatedly realised this hence pleading with Mirror readers.
    I wonder if some on the left are going to vote Leave precisely because it will destroy Cameron / Osborne, split the Tories and put a less middle ground Tory into No.10. There is a strong lefty case for Leave (as espoused by the RMT for example) that plays directly into domestic politics. A Leave vote is an opportunity for a moribund left to land a smashing blow on the Tories. I'm sure many will avail themselves of the opportunity.
  • Options
    VapidBilgeVapidBilge Posts: 412
    Patrick said:

If Leave do get it then one thing will indeed be truly different for the first time in ages - the plebs will have landed a meaningful blow on the establishment. We keep hearing about how pissed off voters are with the elites and the status quo everywhere, and the rise of AfD, Trump, Le Pen, UKIP etc. But these have not actually gained power anywhere or yet had a concrete result to crow about. The establishment and the status quo still win every time. A Leave vote would change that. It would shake the rotten and complacent EU to its core and prompt all sorts of ructions within. I think it would also somehow be a boon for Trump. Democracy is rotten unless it throws out the occasional two fingers to the slippery greased piglets who run our lives.

It is more important to Meeks to avoid letting some Tories he dislikes have a temporary ascendence than the future of our freedom. It is much more important to me to see the machine brought low by the ordinary people. I'm feeding off the fear these establishment shitbags emanate with their every breath.

Interesting article today,
    reflecting what you say.

http://www.cityam.com/241068/the-decadence-of-europes-dismal-elites-is-fuelling-the-populist-surge-across-the-eu
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822

Scott_P said:

I wouldn't normally cite Heffer, however he's making the Boris point too. DT clearly thinks this is a winner with their readers.

The curious thing about that argument, if you agree with it, is that Boris is proposing that instead of standing up to the Germans like Churchill we run away and hide.

It's bizarre
    How exactly did Cameron stand up to the Germans when Merkel unilaterally opened the EU's borders to anyone who could get on a boat from Turkey? There was no democratic process there, no discussion with fellow EU members. They just did what Germany wanted - and fuck the rest of you...

I love this argument from Leavers indignant because Angela Merkel exercised Germany's sovereign right to decide its own policy on migrants: i.e arguing for 'more Europe'.

This really is turning out to be the most hilarious political contest I've ever seen.
    Not as funny as your No Tanks In Baghdad running commentary. Sorry Richard, but I can't take your handwaving seriously.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

From Boris down, Tory Leavers who a short while were praising government fiscal and economic policy to the hilt are now trashing it. Cameron cannot be trusted on the economy says the Leave side, George Osborne is a bully says Piri Patel, Remainers support a Fourth Reich says Boris. Where were they before?

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Patrick said:

I wonder if some on the left are going to vote Leave precisely because it will destroy Cameron / Osborne, split the Tories and put a less middle ground Tory into No.10. There is a strong lefty case for Leave (as espoused by the RMT for example) that plays directly into domestic politics. A Leave vote is an opportunity for a moribund left to land a smashing blow on the Tories. I'm sure many will avail themselves of the opportunity.
    Labour mate of mind is doing precisely that.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,245

TonyE said:

Patrick said:

If Leave do get it then one thing will indeed be truly different for the first time in ages - the plebs will have landed a meaningful blow on the establishment. We keep hearing about how pissed off voters are with the elites and the status quo everywhere, and the rise of AfD, Trump, Le Pen, UKIP etc. But these have not actually gained power anywhere or yet had a concrete result to crow about. The establishment and the status quo still win every time. A Leave vote would change that. It would shake the rotten and complacent EU to its core and prompt all sorts of ructions within. I think it would also somehow be a boon for Trump. Democracy is rotten unless it throws out the occasional two fingers to the slippery greased piglets who run our lives.

It is more important to Meeks to avoid letting some Tories he dislikes have a temporary ascendence than the future of our freedom. It is much more important to me to see the machine brought low by the ordinary people. I'm feeding off the fear these establishment shitbags emanate with their every breath.

Yep, those plucky billionaires, Tory cabinet ministers, and newspaper editors and owners sticking two fingers up at the Establishment. It's great to see.

I think it will be more about the demographic of those who choose to leave, which I think will be skewed heavily to the working class as opposed to the fairly asset rich middle class who have more to lose from potential changes
    It risks the Mirror pointing out "This is how weak the Prime Minister has become. He has to write in the Mirror - a newspaper he would previously have looked down his snooty nose at - in order to beg for the votes of our readers in the Referendum. We can only speculate that without our readers' votes, Mr Cameron will be unceremoniously booted out of office by the end of June. We will leave it up to our readers whether this might influence their vote..."
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938

Scott_P said:

It's bizarre

What Merkel did was not to decide a policy for Germany, it was to decide one for all of Europe due to the implications and the geography.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,671
    edited May 2016

Patrick said:

reflecting what you say.

http://www.cityam.com/241068/the-decadence-of-europes-dismal-elites-is-fuelling-the-populist-surge-across-the-eu
    If IDS is correct ("we're not the govt, guv; it's up to them"), and if whoever is in power implements what many on here recommend, then I would imagine that the downtrodden masses (Upper Second, Balliol) will be surprised to say the least when, post a Leave vote, we head back in to EFTA/EEA.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Patrick said:

Labour mate of mind is doing precisely that.
    I've been saying this on here for weeks, look at the Mirror today. They won't vote OUT, they'll abstain, which in effect is a vote for OUT. We keep being told Labour are pro Remain, but only if they vote.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Scott_P said:

It's bizarre

Except that's not what they did. They didn't just say people are welcome to just Germany and arrange transport or visas accordingly. Instead they opened the doors to the whole of continental Europe not just Germany and compelled Eastern European countries who didn't want to accept a share of migrants to do so.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2016
    If we leave the EU, the EU's share of global GDP will be less than 13%. In the mid 1980s, the much smaller EU - just a dozen nations - had nearly 25% of world GDP.

It's in terminal decline in it's current form.

We're on the Aston Villa of economic models.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Leave out to 3.5 now.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    TonyE said:

What Merkel did was not to decide a policy for Germany, it was to decide one for all of Europe due to the implications and the geography.

Yes, one nation taking a decision affects other nations. This is true, for example in the 80s and 90s we were badly affected by acid rain from power stations built in northern Europe. That's the Eurocrats' argument for 'more Europe'. I'm just amused to see Leavers using it.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Patrick said:

reflecting what you say.

If IDS is correct ("we're not the govt, guv; it's up to them"), and if whoever is in power implements what many on here recommend, then I would imagine that the downtrodden masses (Upper Second, Balliol) will be surprised to say the least when, post EUref, we head back in to EFTA/EEA.
    As we are already EEA signatories, then it's a logical progression to join EFTA. The EFTA nations are not wholly satisfied with the EEA agreement, and as it gains in GDP strength with the UK entry, I would not expect this to be a static environment.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,974
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

@ThreeQuidder Those people will get more influence by being part of the cabal that will take over the direction of this government. It's not complicated.

Will they get absolute power? No, thank goodness. But they would get far too much for my liking.

I made it clear some time ago that I would not be voting Leave because it was apparent that Leave was going to be dominated by people whose views I had no sympathy with whatsoever. And so it has proved.

What has proved true is that your illogical decision has caused you to be increasingly swivel-eyed, both above and below the line.

A "cabal"? "Taking over the direction of the government"? Jesus wept.
    If Brexit wins Boris et al will surely be taking the lead in the negotiations and therefore the future direction of the country. To suggest otherwise is nonsense and if anyone tried to do otherwise there would rightly be howls of anger from the Leavers.

If Leave win it has to be their show from then on. The negotiations should be a hoot given that the Leavers have insulted just about everyone they are going to be negotiating with. Having likened the EU to Hitler Boris is of course then going to negotiate a fabulous deal for us all from the EU.
    Of course he (or more likely Gove) would.

There's no point crying over spilt milk. If we vote to Leave then our trading partners will have little choice but to respect that and make a deal because they'd want one too. Just as when we go into a General Election the reality is our partners will work with whoever we elect as PM and not just those they find agreeable.
    I think it's highly likely that our EU partners will be as difficult as possible if we Brexit partly because they will be pissed off at the abuse from Leavers, pissed off at the disruption caused but also to deter others who may consider following suit. Those banking on a quick and easy ride are taking a huge risk.
    I doubt raising Hitler's ghost has done us any favours either......
  • Options
    VapidBilgeVapidBilge Posts: 412

Scott_P said:

It's bizarre

Oh, please. The German decision affected us all, without consultation.

If she really wanted to help refugees she would have airlifted them over from Turkey, not have them drown or thunder over neighbouring EU countries.

She also tried to strong arm other EU countries into taking them and helping with the costs of her folly.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,945
    runnymede said:

OllyT said:

@ThreeQuidder Those people will get more influence by being part of the cabal that will take over the direction of this government. It's not complicated.

Will they get absolute power? No, thank goodness. But they would get far too much for my liking.

I made it clear some time ago that I would not be voting Leave because it was apparent that Leave was going to be dominated by people whose views I had no sympathy with whatsoever. And so it has proved.

What has proved true is that your illogical decision has caused you to be increasingly swivel-eyed, both above and below the line.

A "cabal"? "Taking over the direction of the government"? Jesus wept.
    If Brexit wins Boris et al will surely be taking the lead in the negotiations and therefore the future direction of the country. To suggest otherwise is nonsense and if anyone tried to do otherwise there would rightly be howls of anger from the Leavers.

If Leave win it has to be their show from then on. The negotiations should be a hoot given that the Leavers have insulted just about everyone they are going to be negotiating with. Having likened the EU to Hitler Boris is of course then going to negotiate a fabulous deal for us all from the EU.
    Of course he (or more likely Gove) would.

There's no point crying over spilt milk. If we vote to Leave then our trading partners will have little choice but to respect that and make a deal because they'd want one too. Just as when we go into a General Election the reality is our partners will work with whoever we elect as PM and not just those they find agreeable.
    Indeed, everyone in the know (including the REMAIN side's leaders) is well aware that there will be a rapid deal between the UK and the EU after Brexit. It will preserve tariff-free trade and some aspects of free movement - but not all.

We could have cut a deal like this any time in the last twenty-five years. It's only the reluctance of our own political and bureaucratic establishment to the will of the people - related to their desire to keep trying to pull the voters toward EU political integration (with the goodies that means for them) - that has prevented this.
    Of course there will be deals in order to allow UK/EU trade to continue. However, they are likely to be a lot less favourable than the current arrangements. Given the relative sizes of the UK and EU economies, we will be negotiating from a position of relative weakness and cannot ultimately hope for a deal anywhere near as good as what we achieved amongst equals. I also don't see that trade would be tariff-free. Why would we be entailed to special arrangements compared to other non-EEA states?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684

All those who supported Osborne's plans to eliminate the deficit by 2020/1 were supporting a plan reliant on high-levels of continued immigration from the EU. If they don't now support his plan, what are they proposing? Moving the target, raising taxes, more cuts in public spending, or what?

Rubbish there are plenty of us who have said his goal is completely unachievable without real spending cuts and to stop cossetting the bloody pensioners with the triple lock or at least weakening it to CPI inflation with a 1% floor.

You always ignore those of us opposed to Osborne and act as if we are all in favour of his inequitable spending programme.
  • Options

surbiton said:

From Boris down, Tory Leavers who a short while were praising government fiscal and economic policy to the hilt are now trashing it. Cameron cannot be trusted on the economy says the Leave side, George Osborne is a bully says Piri Patel, Remainers support a Fourth Reich says Boris. Where were they before?

Becoming disillusioned, but remaining mostly loyal - being insulted by our Party leader changed things, a lot.
  • Options
    TonyE said:

Scott_P said:

It's bizarre

Spot on. It was a tipping point for me. After that, Cameron had to comeback with some real, meaningful product from his renegotiation.

I'm sure Merkel would have been very sanguine if the UK had joined Schengen - then opened the borders to the whole of the Asian sub-continent...with no consultation in Brussels.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Patrick said:

I wonder if some on the left are going to vote Leave precisely because it will destroy Cameron / Osborne, split the Tories and put a less middle ground Tory into No.10.
    In Scotland the biggest block of LEAVE voters are SNP:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/scotland-blog/2016/may/12/eurosceptic-snp-voters-could-influence-eu-referendum-result-polling-data-shows

a significant minority of nationalists and yes voters see it as logically consistent to want Scotland to leave both unions – the UK and EU, and will vote that way in June.

A consistency that escapes the SNP leaderene....(tho not in fairness our resident turnip....)
  • Options

TonyE said:

Patrick said:

Yep, those plucky billionaires, Tory cabinet ministers, and newspaper editors and owners sticking two fingers up at the Establishment. It's great to see.

I think it will be more about the demographic of those who choose to leave, which I think will be skewed heavily to the working class as opposed to the fairly asset rich middle class who have more to lose from potential changes
    It risks the Mirror pointing out "This is how weak the Prime Minister has become. He has to write in the Mirror - a newspaper he would previously have looked down his snooty nose at - in order to beg for the votes of our readers in the Referendum. We can only speculate that without our readers' votes, Mr Cameron will be unceremoniously booted out of office by the end of June. We will leave it up to our readers whether this might influence their vote..."
    I've seen several Mirror opinion pieces advocating Leave. Don't read it enough to know the overall balance.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It's bizarre

You may think the shrinking of democracy in Europe "hilarious". Some of us find it profound.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    chestnut said:

If we leave the EU, the EU's share of global GDP will be less than 13%. In the mid 1980s, the much smaller EU - just a dozen nations - had nearly 25% of world GDP.

This is what the economics is really all about.

Preferential trade arrangements are a dubious idea at best - perhaps the world's leading expert on international trade, Prof. Jagdish Bhaghwati, condemns them.

Preferential trade arrangements with a group of countries that are struggling to grow at 1% per annum are an even worse idea.

Preferential trade arrangements that also impose significant unnecessary regulatory costs on your own economy are a worse idea still.

Preferential trade arrangements that also threaten your continued judicial and political independence....

you get the picture
  • Options
    AlasdairAlasdair Posts: 72

@ThreeQuidder If Leave win, the big question of the next few years is going to be the terms of disengagement from the EU. That inevitably is going to need to be led by those who can credibly speak for those who voted for that outcome. It is fanciful to imagine that those who voted for Leave are not going to be in the ascendant in those circumstances.

Unlike Cincinnatus, the Leave politicians are not going to return to their funny farms. The opposite - the lunatics are going to take over the asylum.

Funny farms, lunatics. More fence sitting. Tell us what you really think of Leave.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It's bizarre

If she really wanted to help refugees she would have airlifted them over from Turkey, not have them drown or thunder over neighbouring EU countries.

She also tried to strong arm other EU countries into taking them and helping with the costs of her folly.
    Also amusing to see that Leavers cannot understand my point, which has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with whether Angela Merkel exercised Germany's sovereign right sensibly.

What is it about hatred of the EU which addles the brain of people who are usually sensible? It is extraordinary.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Rubbish there are plenty of us who have said his goal is completely unachievable without real spending cuts and to stop cossetting the bloody pensioners with the triple lock or at least weakening it to CPI inflation with a 1% floor.

You always ignore those of us opposed to Osborne and act as if we are all in favour of his inequitable spending programme.

You might want to read the first line of what I wrote again.

• Options

TonyE said:

Yes, one nation taking a decision affects other nations. This is true, for example in the 80s and 90s we were badly affected by acid rain from power stations built in northern Europe. That's the Eurocrats' argument for 'more Europe'. I'm just amused to see Leavers using it.
    But the difference is that Germany can then use its weight in the EU to pressure other nations into actions which they would not have agreed to independently, such as the Migrant resettlement program or the deal with Turkey. Also, it knows that it's external border is protected by other nations, who must first deal with the problems Germany has created. This gives it far too much lattitude without internal political consequences.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It's bizarre

You may think the shrinking of democracy in Europe "hilarious". Some of us find it profound.
    What's undemocratic about the democratically-elected German government inviting migrants into Germany? Foolish, yes, but not undemocratic.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

We're on the Aston Villa of economic models.

Ouch.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Yes, and I think you'll find that the vast majority of Osborne supporters are on the Remain side.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited May 2016
    Why did the German governmet not airlift them to Germany instead of inflicting their "Guests" on other countries..nowt democratic about that..it is called bullying
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It's bizarre

What's undemocratic about the democratically-elected German government inviting migrants into Germany? Foolish, yes, but not undemocratic.
    Is your democracy European or National? Which takes priority? If Europe didn't decide this as a whole, how can the EU be democratic? Did the Greek MEPs agree to German policy?

Your whole argument rests on a fallacy, that the EU is democratic. But then you turn it upside down by asserting that Germany should be able to exercise her sovereign rights. But how did the EU structure protect the sovereign rights of the Greeks or Italians who have been left in a terrible state.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Scott_P said:

It's bizarre

It is undemocratic if Germany invites immigrants to Germany to reverse its population decline but then finds too many are coming and tells other countries they must take some of the immigrants.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It's bizarre

And then trying to force other countries to take them or face EU fines.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 56,248
    midwinter said:

Frother, tin foil, headbanger, nutter, loon...

I've been hearing these words for almost 20 years. It hasn't stopped euroscepticism from growing.

Given that almost half the population supports Brexit I can only conclude that Remainers think that the half the population is mad. In which case, it's a wonder we can survive at all.

Maybe they'll take such beliefs to their grave, like Heseletine, even if the UK resoundingly rejects the EU.

I can understand support for Brexit, what I find harder to comprehend is the almost religious fervour of SOME leavers. Its like the quest for the holy grail and, to me at least, its not a vote winner.
    I think it's just a passion for self-governance. Nothing more sinister than that.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Scott_P said:

It's bizarre

Because once in Germany, they were then in the greater Schengen area. There was surely a reasonable assumption by Schengen members when they signed up that they were governing the movement of THE EXISTING CITIZENS of the EU. If Slovenia had unilaterally decided to invite in the entire population of sub-Saharan Africa, do you think say France would have meekly acquiesced? But of course, Slovenia never would. But Germany has the brute strength to force it on the EU.

It was also insane of Merkel because it encouraged a headlong rush towards Europe by untold millions, at their huge cost in dollars to smugglers and lives lost. Cameron was spot on with how to treat the Syrian crisis. It is to Merkel's eternal shame that she did not embrace his approach.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

chestnut said:

Preferential trade arrangements are a dubious idea at best - perhaps the world's leading expert on international trade, Prof. Jagdish Bhaghwati, condemns them.

Preferential trade arrangements with a group of countries that are struggling to grow at 1% per annum are an even worse idea.

Preferential trade arrangements that also impose significant unnecessary regulatory costs on your own economy are a worse idea still.

Preferential trade arrangements that also threaten your continued judicial and political independence....

you get the picture
    Brilliant. So we don't need to worry about being able to negotiate those pesky trade deals after all? I thought a major leg of the Leave argument was that out of the EU we would be in a much better position to, er, negotiate free trade deals...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, and I think you'll find that the vast majority of Osborne supporters are on the Remain side.
    I think that "vast" and "Osborne supporters" is likely to be seen less and less in the same sentence...unless he goes for the Weight-watchers vote in Idaho.
  • Options
    George Osborne: the Brexit campaign will next say we have fakes the moon landings, found Shergar and discovered the Loch Ness Monster
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,065
    Miss Plato, I think we'd all like to hear Tony Blair's views on the referendum...
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    TOPPING said:

runnymede said:

chestnut said:

you get the picture
    Brilliant. So we don't need to worry about being able to negotiate those pesky trade deals after all? I thought a major leg of the Leave argument was that out of the EU we would be in a much better position to, er, negotiate free trade deals...
    We can do if we want them.
    Having the production team call the dog 'Nigger' was obviously in retrospect a mistake.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

runnymede said:

chestnut said:

you get the picture
    It shouldn't be. Tariffs are just not a 21st C problem in the main. It's the non tariff barriers that hold the key. These are best removed sector by sector at a global level rather than via bilateral or area trade deals.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I think that "vast" and "Osborne supporters" is likely to be seen less and less in the same sentence...unless he goes for the Weight-watchers vote in Idaho.
    Well I think TSE and Richard N are both on the Remain side, can't think of many more than that!
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

It's bizarre

And then trying to force other countries to take them or face EU fines.
    The populace gave their endorsement of German policy at the Eurovision Song Contest. Oh wait....
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,945

George Osborne: the Brexit campaign will next say we have fakes the moon landings, found Shergar and discovered the Loch Ness Monster

There are does already seem to be a concentration of people on the Brexit side who think that AGW is some sort of international hoax. Faking the moon landings would have been far easier.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

For war film fans

twitter.com/PlatoSays/status/732138055302270976

I'd agree with number 1 (Zulu) - but there are some classics (Kwai, Lawrence) too far down the list.....and who can forget the open shot of 'Where Eagles Dare'?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,034

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    surbiton said:

Given how often the Great & Good have been wrong on the ERM, Euro, 2008 crash, forecasting in general - it'd be refreshing to understand why Remainers are so keen to believe them now.

Or are they just a fig-leaf for their own position?

I seem to remember Lords Lawson and Lamont being quite involved in the ERM fiasco; while plenty of Remainers were opposed to the UK joining the Eurozone.

What I find more puzzling is why so many Tory Leavers ever supported government fiscal and economic policies predicated on continued EU membership and high levels of EU immigration. Cabinet ministers lauded it, MPs cheered it, supporters sung its praises. How quickly things change.

Lawson and Lamont were the biggest proponents of the ERM. Gordon Brown made sure Britain never entered the Eurozone by creating the 5 tests which could never be achieved.
    Yup I'll give him that as one of his strongest abilities and continuous successes.

He was always good at setting targets that couldn't be achieved.
  • Options

For war film fans

twitter.com/PlatoSays/status/732138055302270976

I'd agree with number 1 (Zulu) - but there are some classics (Kwai, Lawrence) too far down the list.....and who can forget the open shot of 'Where Eagles Dare'?
    Jarman's War Requiem is arguably one of the best films, let alone war films, ever made.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 56,248
    Free democracy:

Robert Peston – Verified account ‏@Peston

Ryanair pilots and stewardesses told to cancel time off, put on uniforms and be in audience for today's Remain-in-EU event
    1:33 a.m. - 16 May 2016
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Keeping Labour out of power since the Great Labour recession and bust of 2009....... The lesser of two evils you see.
  • Options
    @RupertMyers: It's the sequel to the hardest ever edition of snog, marry, avoid: finance edition

With photo of Vince Cable, George Osborne & Ed Balls standing in front of a RyanAir jet in a hanger @ Stansted
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    TonyE said:

TOPPING said:

runnymede said:

chestnut said:

you get the picture
    It shouldn't be. Tariffs are just not a 21st C problem in the main. It's the non tariff barriers that hold the key. These are best removed sector by sector at a global level rather than via bilateral or area trade deals.
    I'd broadly agree with that. Tariffs are still a problem in a few sectors, but NTBs are the big issue now. And the EU has quite a bad record with these e.g. the proliferation and misuse of anti-dumping investigations, regulatory barriers etc.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Richard_Nabavi said:

"I love this argument from Leavers indignant because Angela Merkel exercised Germany's sovereign right to decide its own policy on migrants: i.e arguing for 'more Europe'.This really is turning out to be the most hilarious political contest I've ever seen."

I always tried to give you the benefit of the doubt but that view is just so out of left field it's ludicrous. Germany unilaterally said welcome and exercised its sovereign right over everyone else as a result.

Meanwhile hundreds die in the Med as a result, Schengen is abandoned and border fences are erected across Europe. Assaults on women go through the roof meanwhile there's riots in the streets. I would have said your views were just misguided. I actually now think they are not only dangerous but contrary to the well being and safety of this nation.

During my regular travels, There is an element of fear across Europe I have not detected previously and just about all because of that lunatic bloody woman Merkel.
  • Options
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I doubt it. Most Remainers are not Tories.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Seriously?

Peston
    .@vincecable just accused @BorisJohnson & @Nigel_Farage of "small condom" EU alarmism

.@edballs warns that leaving EU would see 17% increase in price of Adidas trainers
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It's bizarre

Also amusing to see that Leavers cannot understand my point, which has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with whether Angela Merkel exercised Germany's sovereign right sensibly.

What is it about hatred of the EU which addles the brain of people who are usually sensible? It is extraordinary.
    Merkel is the EU though pulling the strings of unelected faceless bureaucrats about which I can do nothing let alone vote out of office.
    You just can't see it and to be honest you just don't seem to want too?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It's bizarre

They didn't though they invited them into all the other European countries as a result because that's where they are now!!! Even as far north as Sweden. They are also now unable to stop them coming. So much so that Turkey has threatened to open their borders if we don't do anything. To be honest I don't blame them.

At least we are a step forward you referred to them as migrants within a few days we may get you to admit they are economic migrants that have crossed several safe countries to avail themselves of our hospitality, health service, benefits and housing.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Moses_ said:

Scott_P said:

It's bizarre

They didn't though they invited them into all the other European countries as a result because that's where they are now!!! Even as far north as Sweden. They are also now unable to stop them coming. So much so that Turkey has threatened to open their borders if we don't do anything. To be honest I don't blame them.

At least we are a step forward you referred to them as migrants within a few days we may get you to admit they are economic migrants that have crossed several safe countries to avail themselves of our hospitality, health service, benefits and housing.
    Interesting article here:

Has Europe solved its crisis? Refugee arrivals to Greece have dropped by 90%

http://flip.it/9rSlM

Migrant arrivals down by 90% in Greece from last year, and down in Italy too. The deal with Turkey is working.
  • Options
    Kevin Schofield
    Labour warned over anti-Semitism probe 'whitewash' after chair admits she is party member https://t.co/FNH8k99Cmu https://t.co/51ddVlGOuJ
  • Options
    So who made the video? Was it the BSE campaign? Perhaps Downing Street? Nope, it was actually made in Brussels, by the Wilfred Martens Centre for European Studies. They are a think tank for the European People’s Party, both organisations have no UK representatives. And here’s the kicker: the Centre receives 100% of its funding from the European Parliament, some €4.2 million in 2014 alone.

How much taxpayer cash did they spend on this high production value video? And how much did they spend on promotion for it to achieve 100,000 views in just ten days? This is the EU directly interfering in a British referendum using British voters’ money…
    http://order-order.com/2016/05/16/eus-taxpayer-funded-referendum-intervention/
This discussion has been closed.