Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After nearly a week without polls the sentiment on Betfair

Comments

• Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Cyclefree said:

Good evening all.

I managed to go through my entire time at school studying history with barely a mention of Hitler, there being many many period of fascinating history to learn about, and now you can barely read the paper or switch on the radio without some idiot politician referring to him. Is there something in the water at Westminster?

This referendum is beginning to make me lose the will to live. Both campaigns are utter shite. If only they could both lose.

O/T HMQ's Birthday celebrations on ITV from Windsor is well worth watching. Some superb horsemanship and some bizarrely entrancing acts: Switzerland's Top Secret Drummers, for instance......

Also O/T the roses in my garden - I have 16 varieties - are full of buds and beginning to flower. It is going to be a wonderful year for them........

I hope those 16 varieties of roses are all white?
    Racist REMAINER!
    The White Rose of Yorkshire old bean.
    Yeah, yeah - we believe you :lol:
    Is Kippers and Leavers who are the real racists. See below

https://twitter.com/JamieRoss7/status/731937712152907776
    Calling Leavers racist eh? Good luck with making friends on 24/6
    Oh God, you need to read the context of my post.

Sunil jokingly called me a Racist Remainer because of my White Rose post, and I replied in kind.

Try reading and before opening your gob, and sticking your feet in there, and deciding to shoot said feet.
    Yeah, I read it, you showed a tweet from a Ukip bloke and a picture of a black person and said Ukip and Leavers are racist. Oh, but it was a joke, because you've got a kooky sense of humour. You want it both ways mate, you're happy to wave the racist card about if it suits you.
    Don't be an idiot, Sunil, who is a Leaver initially joked about Racist Remainers.
    Oh right, so if I joke about your ethnicity that's alright is it?

Like I said, you want it both ways, you wave that racist card in jest, I'll keep pointing out what a hypocrite you are. All in context, of course.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited May 2016
    HYUFD said:

Viceroy said:

Very puzzling. This referendum feels to me like it is Leave's to lose. In reducing immigration they have by far the most accessible argument and one that Remain just cannot counter.

Isn't there talk that Leave are keeping their powder dry and that will be near the end of the campaign? I certainly would use such a tactic: at the moment simply keep rebutting and laughing at Remain's terribly over the top scare stories which are going through one ear and out of the other (as shown by the polling).

It reminds me of the Indyref in Scotland how the polls starting moving towards Independence in the final weeks in the face of endless Unionist bs stories. In the end, the Unionists fell back on the emotional arguments which saved the day... a problem for Remain is that there is no emotional argument for Remain.
    And perhaps even more crucially, Better Together offered 'The Vow'; which enabled people to vote 'No' with a clear conscience. I don't see how a 'Vow' can be pulled out by Cameron - Europe can't and won't stump up any serious concessions, and anything 'homegrown' would simply beg the question of why it wasn't done before.
    Compare.
    Scots referendum. The No (IN) campaign recognised that Labour voters were key and appointed Labour's Alistair Darling as its front man. Darling had a 56% trust rating with SLAB voters in the week before the vote.

European referendum. The biggest group of voters for REMAIN (IN) is going to come from Labour voters. REMAIN has had Cameron fronting REMAIN for 11 weeks. Cameron has an 11% trust rating with Labour voters.

Anyone explain the logic?

Remain cannot win with Labour voters alone, it has to get at least 35-40% of Tory voters + which is why it needs Cameron. In Scotland Tory voters were overwhelmingly for the Union, it needed a majority of Labour voters too which was why Darling fronted the campaign
    On one poll, Labour voters comprised 50% of the REMAIN supporters and Cons were in the 30% range. Now, should REMAIN devote most of the airtime in the campaign to the Con voters or most to Labour voters? So far 2/3 through we have had circa 90% of the time on Con voters and 10% on Labour. But I am not unhappy with this ratio. REMAIN supporters should be but they think that their campaign is going wonderfully well.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,115

Cyclefree said:

Good evening all.

I managed to go through my entire time at school studying history with barely a mention of Hitler, there being many many period of fascinating history to learn about, and now you can barely read the paper or switch on the radio without some idiot politician referring to him. Is there something in the water at Westminster?

This referendum is beginning to make me lose the will to live. Both campaigns are utter shite. If only they could both lose.

O/T HMQ's Birthday celebrations on ITV from Windsor is well worth watching. Some superb horsemanship and some bizarrely entrancing acts: Switzerland's Top Secret Drummers, for instance......

Also O/T the roses in my garden - I have 16 varieties - are full of buds and beginning to flower. It is going to be a wonderful year for them........

Racist REMAINER!

Sunil jokingly called me a Racist Remainer because of my White Rose post, and I replied in kind.

Try reading and before opening your gob, and sticking your feet in there, and deciding to shoot said feet.
    Yeah, I read it, you showed a tweet from a Ukip bloke and a picture of a black person and said Ukip and Leavers are racist. Oh, but it was a joke, because you've got a kooky sense of humour. You want it both ways mate, you're happy to wave the racist card about if it suits you.
    Don't be an idiot, Sunil, who is a Leaver initially joked about Racist Remainers.

Like I said, you want it both ways, you wave that racist card in jest, I'll keep pointing out what a hypocrite you are. All in context, of course.
    Yup, you can joke about what you like.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

@TSE: I suffer from asthma and am allergic to tree pollen. Probably the reason I got hospitalised in NY last month. Hasn't stopped me being a passionate gardener. Keeps me sane. If only I could monetise my passion.....

My sympathies, I think I'm crap with gardening, I once killed a fake plastic bonsai tree.
  • Options
    Any football fans on here that can name the English players that have won the Champions League?

I don't know but:

Beckham
    Scholes
    Neville
    Neville
    Butt
    Terry
    Lampard

Any more?

David May?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Good evening all.

Racist REMAINER!

Thanks, but I don't find racism funny
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,636
    edited May 2016

HYUFD said:

Viceroy said:

Very puzzling. This referendum feels to me like it is Leave's to lose. In reducing immigration they have by far the most accessible argument and one that Remain just cannot counter.

Isn't there talk that Leave are keeping their powder dry and that will be near the end of the campaign? I certainlyy, Better Together offered 'The Vow'; which enabled people to vote 'No' with a clear conscience. I don't see how a 'Vow' can be pulled out by Cameron - Europe can't and won't stump up any serious concessions, and anything 'homegrown' would simply beg the question of why it wasn't done before.
    Compare.
    Scots referendum. The No (IN) campaign recognised that Labour voters were key and appointed Labour's Alistair Darling as its front man. Darling had a 56% trust rating with SLAB voters in the week before the vote.

European referendum. The biggest group of voters for REMAIN (IN) is going to come from Labour voters. REMAIN has had Cameron fronting REMAIN for 11 weeks. Cameron has an 11% trust rating with Labour voters.

Anyone explain the logic?

Remain cannot win with Labour voters alone, it has to get at least 35-40% of Tory voters + which is why it needs Cameron. In Scotland Tory voters were overwhelmingly for the Union, it needed a majority of Labour voters too which was why Darling fronted the campaign
    On one poll, Labour voters comprised 50% of the REMAIN supporters and Cons were in the 30% range. Now, should REMAIN devote most of the airtime in the campaign to the Con voters or most to Labour voters? So far 2/3 through we have had circa 90% of the time on Con voters and 10% on Labour. But I am not unhappy with this ratio. REMAIN supporters should be but they think that their campaign is going wonderfully well.
    Yes, so without those 30% Remain would lose without question. Labour voters are 75/25 Remain out of 30% of the electorate, the Tories about 60/40 Leave out of 37% of the electorate so Remain needs to ensure it gets enough Tories to win. Leave of course is reliant on UKIP voters as its core vote, Vote Leave is ignoring them (and Labour voters to a large extent) and just concentrating on Tories too
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,856

Cyclefree said:

Good evening all.

Racist REMAINER!

Don't be an idiot, Sunil
    Idiot? Moi? :lol:
  • Options

Any football fans on here that can name the English players that have won the Champions League?

I don't know but:

Beckham
    Scholes
    Neville
    Neville
    Butt
    Terry
    Lampard

Any more?

David May?

Steve McManaman, Owen Hargreaves, Jamie Carragher, Steven Gerrard, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Ryan Betrand.

Plus do players on the bench but didn't come on in the final count?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Good evening all.

Racist REMAINER!

Thanks, but I don't find racism funny
    I've found mocking racists hilarious.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,914
    Crickey Cameron writing in the mirror, whatever next? Claims of brexit could start WWIII or invoking Hitler as a reason to leave...oh wait...
  • Options

Crickey Cameron writing in the mirror, whatever next? Claims of brexit could start WWIII or invoking Hitler as a reason to leave...oh wait...

He did a piece with John Reid for the Mirror during the AV referendum
  • Options
    @thescreamingeagles

To your knowledge has anybody been banned from this site for racist remarks?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,856
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

I'm not a soccer fan per se, but am loving a book called Soccernomics. It's similar to sabermetrics about baseball I think.

It contains a chapter called 'Why England loses'. It can be summed up as 'you overvalue your football heritage and undervalue the benefits of innovation'.

Is that a fair assessment?

Americans playing FOOTball with their hands :lol:
    You keep harping on about this - both codes of rugby football (union and league) are played with the hands, as is Aussie rules football.
    Football should be played with the FEET - the clue is in the name :)
  • Options

@thescreamingeagles

Yes
  • Options
    Ross turnbull & Daniel sturridge were on the bench when chelski won.
  • Options

@thescreamingeagles

Yes
    Hypocrite
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Ross turnbull & Daniel sturridge were on the bench when chelski won.

So was Scott Carson in 2005 when Liverpool won
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    RodCrosby said:

Cyclefree said:

Good evening all.

Racist REMAINER!

The British Brainwashing Corporation's days are numbered, hopefully.

The woman in question couldn't act to save her life, in any event...
    Personally, I don't see what the problem is with the colour of any actor's skin playing any role. Othello was played by white people for years with no objection, and women play men and men play women in pantomimes, to the delight of many.
  • Options
    Brown Carrick Rooney ferdinand for man utd in 2008.
  • Options

Brown Carrick Rooney ferdinand for man utd in 2008.

Awful final for a Liverpool fan, you wanted them to both lose.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    We have missed really obvious ones...Sheringham & Cole
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Am I just half-asleep, or is the syntax of that headline appalling.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    edited May 2016
    Danny565 said:

They missed out 'Please, pretty please"

They also missed out the editorial

"Grovel, grovel, cringe, bow, stoop, fawn"
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,147
    edited May 2016
    Danny565 said:

twitter.com/PlatoSays/status/731977622712946689

Needs some additional punctuation.
  • Options
    Well well well, Cameron pleading with Labour voters to save his skin, did anyone predict that would happen?

He's fucked, well and truly, a laughing stock.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    MTimT said:

RodCrosby said:

Cyclefree said:

Good evening all.

Racist REMAINER!

The British Brainwashing Corporation's days are numbered, hopefully.

The woman in question couldn't act to save her life, in any event...
    Personally, I don't see what the problem is with the colour of any actor's skin playing any role. Othello was played by white people for years with no objection, and women play men and men play women in pantomimes, to the delight of many.
    How about noticing the distinction between fictional characters, and historical characters?

Or will we have a Black (or Jewish) Hitler anytime soon on our screen?
  • Options

Well well well, Cameron pleading with Labour voters to save his skin, did anyone predict that would happen?

Yes, shocking behavior to encourage people who share your point of view to come out to vote.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yes, shocking behavior to encourage people who share your point of view to come out to vote.
    Mirror readers support Cameron's point of view?

You're as deluded as he is.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    RobD said:

Yeah, I mean he did the same during the AV and Scottish Independence Referenda.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Tim_B said:

I'm not a soccer fan per se, but am loving a book called Soccernomics. It's similar to sabermetrics about baseball I think.

It contains a chapter called 'Why England loses'. It can be summed up as 'you overvalue your football heritage and undervalue the benefits of innovation'.

Is that a fair assessment?

It's possible to overthink this. England lose because England are not very good.
  • Options

RobD said:

Mirror readers support Cameron's point of view?

You're as deluded as he is.
    Some may, on this issue, yes.
  • Options

RobD said:

Did many Daily Mirror readers vote in Indyref?
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    weejonnie said:

Danny565 said:

They missed out 'Please, pretty please"

They also missed out the editorial

"Grovel, grovel, cringe, bow, stoop, fawn"
    We're in a curious position when Cameron is trying to woo Mirror readers. Does he feel that despite having crap credentials for such a task, he can't ask another in case it undermines himself?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Has Cameron invoked the corbyn defence...eu it's shit but if we leave all you oiks hard working folk will lose all your worker rights.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

lol, so it is
  • Options

RobD said:

Well their Scottish sister paper, the Daily Record.

It was quite memorable.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822

Has Cameron invoked the corbyn defence...eu it's shit but if we leave all you oiks hard working folk will lose all your worker rights.

Vote Remain to protect yourself from my government...
  • Options

RobD said:

Well their Scottish sister paper, the Daily Record.

It was quite memorable.
    Yes but I asked about the Daily Mirror.

The barrel scraping is embarrassing, the private polling must be even worse than we thought for Cameron to be pleading with Andy Capp.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,210
    Do people think that if private polls were showing a 7-point REMAIN lead, Cameron would currently be on holidays in Cornwall rather than, y'know, campaigning in the referendum that will define his premiership?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,046
    Nicola's "triumph" (sic) continues......first it was OBFA, now it's APD:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/snp-facing-pressure-to-axe-plans-to-cut-air-passenger-duty-1-4128823
  • Options
    This is why he's done for, he's clearly been told that conservative voters are for OUT and now, in one last humiliating roll of the dice he's pleading with the enemy. The result of the EU is irrelevant now, he's lost it, finished.
  • Options

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/snp-facing-pressure-to-axe-plans-to-cut-air-passenger-duty-1-4128823

I wonder why the Tories are opposing the APD cut? You'd have thought that the SNP would be able to count on their support on this issue.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Do people think that if private polls were showing a 7-point REMAIN lead, Cameron would currently be on holidays in Cornwall rather than, y'know, campaigning in the referendum that will define his premiership?

No
  • Options
    Fatty Soames will do a photo shoot in a working men's club next, pie and pint in hand, showing off his whippet.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I wonder why the Tories are opposing the APD cut? You'd have thought that the SNP would be able to count on their support on this issue.
    Since the APD cut will be paid for by cuts to council services - another bung to the middle class at the expense of the poor, perhaps the Tories are outflanking them on the left again?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Foxinus said
    'Rod may have some fairly rum ideas about 20th century history, but what a forecaster. I may be tempted to put some of todays winnings on Trump, despite Jacks ARSE for US.'

Actually Rod was a bit out in his forecast of the likely Tory lead. On the basis of the 2014 local elections he predicted a Tory lead over Labour of 8.4% - compared with the 2010 margin of 7.3%. The actual 2015 result produced a Tory lead of 6.6% - so instead of a slight swing to the Tories we saw a small swing to Labour.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

RobD said:

Since the APD cut will be paid for by cuts to council services - another bung to the middle class at the expense of the poor, perhaps the Tories are outflanking them on the left again?
    Now you'll made me feel bad each time I get annoyed at the APD!
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944
    I hear there is no single market in services but there don't appear to be any tariffs for them anywhere either. If Jean Claude wanted to get someone in the USA to write some software for him, would be pay import duty in the EU?
  • Options
    VapidBilgeVapidBilge Posts: 412

I don't know but:

Beckham
    Scholes
    Neville
    Neville
    Butt
    Terry
    Lampard

Any more?

David May?

Terry famously didn't play in the final.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Foxinus said
    'Rod may have some fairly rum ideas about 20th century history, but what a forecaster. I may be tempted to put some of todays winnings on Trump, despite Jacks ARSE for US.'

Actually Rod was a bit out in his forecast of the likely Tory lead. On the basis of the 2014 local elections he predicted a Tory lead over Labour of 8.4% - compared with the 2010 margin of 7.3%. The actual 2015 result produced a Tory lead of 6.6% - so instead of a slight swing to the Tories we saw a small swing to Labour.

Oh, I see... you expected me to be perfectly in the geometrical centre of the bullseye?

Were you even on the board?
  • Options

I don't know but:

Beckham
    Scholes
    Neville
    Neville
    Butt
    Terry
    Lampard

Any more?

David May?

mcmanaman
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,386

Next up, Osborne writing in the Morning Star?
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14493634.Revealed___Glasgow_effect__mortality_rate_blamed_on_Westminster_social_engineering/?ref=ebln

though the headline is misleading, because it seems to say it was a combination of scottish office and local policies, followed by thatcherism as the icing on the cake.

But fair to say that labour in scotland probably pretty much deserves the kicking it is belatedly getting
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

justin124 said:

Foxinus said

Oh, I see... you expected me to be perfectly in the geometrical centre of the bullseye?

Or the correct wall...
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited May 2016
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

justin124 said:

Foxinus said

Or the correct wall...
    Sorry I was not wishing to be critical really - I have great respect for your analytical skills and always look forward to reading your forecasts. I just thought that someone else was overegging things a touch.
    Your post 2014 local election prediction ,of course, preceded the Independence Referendum at a time when the Labour collapse in Scotland was not reasonably foreseeable. I would simply point out that had it not been for Scotland the Tory national lead over Labour would have come out somewhere in the 5 to 5.5% range .
    I was a little surprised by your comments of a week ago re - the 2016 local election results when you suggested that they implied a Tory majority in 2020. At the equivalent point in the last Parliament - May 2011 - Labour was 1% behind the Tories on the basis of the NEV. This year the NEV shows Labour with a 1% lead - thus a 1% con to Lab swing compared with 2011. Surely if the pattern of the last Parliament repeats itself the implied 2020 outcome would be a Tory lead of 4.6% - probably not enough for an overall majority.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    A costly error by the United ground staff.

Now let’s see …
    Refund of travel expenses for 75,000 fans
    Either return rail tickets from Bournemouth (away fans),
    Or return rail tickets from London (home fans) £8 million
    Refund of match tickets £6 million
    Reprint of match day programmes £0.3 million
    Making the club a laughing stock in world football PRICELESS!
  • Options
    One of the co-authors of the report has tweeted that the 'Westminster' headline is misleading:

Chik Collins ‏@chikcollinsuws 17h17 hours ago
    @LeaskyHT @jackiekemp @BBCRadioScot Headline in @newsundayherald inaccurate and misleading. Not what reported or conveyed to journalist.

Chik Collins ‏@chikcollinsuws 16h16 hours ago
    @jackiekemp @LeaskyHT @BBCRadioScot Didn't think so. Causality not reducible to 'Westminster'. Much done within Scotland.

Just as well there aren't professional grievance mongers around in Scottish politics, eh?
  • Options

One of the co-authors of the report has tweeted that the 'Westminster' headline is misleading:
    Executive summary - much more nuanced than 'It was Westminster's fault'

http://www.gcph.co.uk/assets/0000/5573/Executive_summary_excess_mortality_2016.pdf

Simply blaming Westminster isn't going to provide a solution (since the New Towns Policy was only one part of the problem), assuming, that is, you are looking for a solution, and not just grievance.

I grew up in a Scottish council House - solidly built, warm & well maintained - so the 'Glasgow Housing Problem' was a 'Glasgow' problem, not a 'Scottish' one, let alone 'Westminster'.
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
  • Options
    shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

Or would 'Project Rubbish Fear' be even more so?

Forced adoption of the Euro?
    Forced end of common law/jury trials?
    Forced accession to Schengen?

Is this a message VoteLeave support?
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

http://www.gcph.co.uk/assets/0000/5573/Executive_summary_excess_mortality_2016.pdf

Simply blaming Westminster isn't going to provide a solution (since the New Towns Policy was only one part of the problem), assuming, that is, you are looking for a solution, and not just grievance.

I grew up in a Scottish council House - solidly built, warm & well maintained - so the 'Glasgow Housing Problem' was a 'Glasgow' problem, not a 'Scottish' one, let alone 'Westminster'.
    was the new towns policy popular (or was it not well publicised)?

You could maybe make a case that there would have been more effective scrutiny with a greater degree of devolved govt. Can't see any excuses for Glasgow city council though
  • Options

shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

It's the policy of influential REMAINERS - check out Heseltine, Mandelson etc

We're for national parliamentary democracy . Are you?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

I hear there is no single market in services but there don't appear to be any tariffs for them anywhere either. If Jean Claude wanted to get someone in the USA to write some software for him, would be pay import duty in the EU?

Indeed, if a virus hunter in Indonesia finds a new flu virus, passes it through a genome reader, email's the genome to a colleague at Erasmus University where the email attachment is used to print the viral genome, from which a vaccine is ultimately produced which is sold in the hundreds of millions of doses around the world, has an import occurred and how should it be taxed?
  • Options

was the new towns policy popular (or was it not well publicised)?

You could maybe make a case that there would have been more effective scrutiny with a greater degree of devolved govt. Can't see any excuses for Glasgow city council though
    The New Towns policy was very popular - but it was done by the Scottish Office which was often run as a personal fiefdom of the SoS - both Labour & Unionist. One of the authors makes the point that in England 'New Towns' were handled differently - so its simplistic (and wrong) to lay the blame at 'Westminster'....
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

It's the policy of influential REMAINERS - check out Heseltine, Mandelson
    Link?

In particular I'd be fascinated to see any evidence of LEAVE believing that the Common Law is to be overturned (Scottish Law has survived 300 years of Union), or that the UK will be forced into Schengen.....

• Options

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

Link?

In particular I'd be fascinated to see any evidence of LEAVE believing that the Common Law is to be overturned (Scottish Law has survived 300 years of Union), or that the UK will be forced into Schengen.....

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/228848/7310.pdf

You are a silly.
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

Link?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/228848/7310.pdf

You are a silly.
    Cite the Articles involved - since you claim to know them......
  • Options

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

Link?

You are a silly.
    sure.

'Ever closer union'

it means what it says and its UK law.
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

Link?

You are a silly.
    sure.

'Ever closer union'

it means what it says and its UK law.
    Where does it say 'end to Jury Trials'?

It doesn't.

Your cartoon is indeed 'piffle'.....
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,071
    shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

I am and I see no threat to it from continued EU membership. We are sovereign, as this referendum demonstrates.

• Options

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

I am and I see no threat to it from continued EU membership. We are sovereign, as this referendum demonstrates.

He's flailing.

Chapter 1

Article 67

1. The Union shall constitute an area of freedom, security and justice with respect for fundamental rights and the different legal systems and traditions of the Member States.
  • Options

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

We are sovereign in any area until it becomes an EU Competence. Then we are not.

As and when referendums become an eu competence, we will hold them when we are permitted to.
  • Options
    Title VII

Article 10

5. The United Kingdom may, at any time afterwards, notify the Council of its wish to participate in acts which have ceased to apply to it pursuant to paragraph 4, first subparagraph. In that case, the relevant provisions of the Protocol on the Schengen acquis integrated into the framework of the European Union or of the Protocol on the position of the United Kingdom and Ireland in respect of the area of freedom, security and justice, as the case may be, shall apply.

So it's up to the United Kingdom whether it participates in Schengen......
  • Options

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

He's flailing.

Chapter 1

Article 67

1. The Union shall constitute an area of freedom, security and justice with respect for fundamental rights and the different legal systems and traditions of the Member States.
    'respect for' clearly does not prevent their supercession. eg prisoner voting 'rights'.
  • Options
    And finally:

PROTOCOL

1. Unless the United Kingdom notifies the Council that it intends to adopt the euro, it shall be under no obligation to do so.

Thanks for providing the link to the Treaty of Lisbon - which disproves each of your claims.....
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

He's flailing.

Chapter 1

Article 67

'respect for' clearly does not prevent their supercession. eg prisoner voting 'rights'.
    Where does it say 'end of jury trials'?

It doesn't

You're embarrassing yourself.....
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

As and when referendums become an eu competence, we will hold them when we are permitted to.
    Where has this been proposed?

Link?
  • Options

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

Link?
    in the eu parliament.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    So in Summary,

The 'piffle cartoon' says:

- end to jury trials

The Treaty of Lisbon Says:

The Union shall constitute an area of freedom, security and justice with respect for fundamental rights and the different legal systems and traditions of the Member States.

- forced adoption of the Euro

Unless the United Kingdom notifies the Council that it intends to adopt the euro, it shall be under no obligation to do so.

- forced into Schengen

The Treaty of Lisbon says:

The United Kingdom may, at any time afterwards, notify the Council of its wish to participate in ......... Schengen

'Piffle' indeed!
  • Options

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

He's flailing.

Chapter 1

Article 67

It doesn't

I think you have failed to understand the subordinate position of nations in the eu law making process. The eu institutions (courts, commission etc) make law, now and in the future, that we have agreed to implement.
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

Link?
    in the eu parliament.
    link?
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

We are sovereign in any area until it becomes an EU Competence. Then we are not.

That is only the case until we decide otherwise, as this referendum shows.

• Options
    shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

He's flailing.

Chapter 1

Article 67

It doesn't

I think you have failed to understand the subordinate position of nations in the eu law making process. The eu institutions (courts, commission etc) make law, now and in the future, that we have agreed to implement.

The key word being "agreed"

• Options
    shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

He's flailing.

Chapter 1

Article 67

It doesn't

I think having claimed stuff is in the Lisbon Treaty when it demonstrably isn't (and indeed is flat out contradicted) you're now flailing about and saying 'bad stuff will happen'.

As SO points out, if it does, we can have another referendum & vote to leave - who is going to stop us, and how?
  • Options

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

Link?
    in the eu parliament.
    link?

The EU Parliament cannot pass legislation independent of the Commission and Council of Ministers. It can only block legislation.

• Options

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

I doubt we could choose to exercise a power where they have rescinded its means. Would our civil servants allow a minister to issue an order for a referendum that the eu had declared was illegal? Probably not if one takes the current assertions of ministers as the reality.
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

I doubt we could choose to exercise a power where they have rescinded its means. Would our civil servants allow a minister to issue an order for a referendum that the eu had declared was illegal? Probably not if one takes the current assertions of ministers as the reality.

The EU has no power to declare a referendum illegal.

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,741

Cyclefree said:

Good evening all.

Racist REMAINER!

'Muttering' Chris Wood is on my local council:
    http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/politics/ukip-councillor-in-swearing-row-1-6635375
  • Options

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

They haven't issued a law to do it, yet.

However they have certainly demonstrated a power to do so. eg when they sacked one of the recent greek governments for simply saying they would hold a ref.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,783
    We are all Hungary for some Poles so we can Czech whether our prognostications about the EU are double Dutch or not.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

We are all Hungary for some Poles so we can Czech whether our prognostications about the EU are double Dutch or not.

You might find this interesting (if depressing):

http://www.gcph.co.uk/assets/0000/5574/History_politics_and_vulnerability.pdf

Yesterday's Sunday Herald headline was a disgrace.....
  • Options

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

He's flailing.

Chapter 1

Article 67

It doesn't

Yep that's what Heath originally put into law.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

So in Summary,

- end to jury trials

The Union shall constitute an area of freedom, security and justice with respect for fundamental rights and the different legal systems and traditions of the Member States.

Unless the United Kingdom notifies the Council that it intends to adopt the euro, it shall be under no obligation to do so.

- forced into Schengen

The United Kingdom may, at any time afterwards, notify the Council of its wish to participate in ......... Schengen

'Piffle' indeed!

(And it doesn't say 'forced' - better watch it again..)
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

They haven't issued a law to do it, yet.

However they have certainly demonstrated a power to do so. eg when they sacked one of the recent greek governments for simply saying they would hold a ref.

No government was sacked, a referendum was held.

• Options
    shiney2 said:

So in Summary,

- end to jury trials

- forced into Schengen

'Piffle' indeed!

I think you've been caught out making stuff up and when confronted with the evidence which refutes your claims are resorting to general 'bad stuff might happen' piffle, to borrow an apposite noun.....
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

He's flailing.

Chapter 1

Article 67

It doesn't

And since then we have elected Parliaments that have been happy to follow that. Last year we elected a Parliament that voted for legislation to enable the referendum. And lo and behold one is taking place.

• Options

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:
    Made by 'piffle'

An apposite name....

He's flailing.

Chapter 1

Article 67

It doesn't

And since then we have elected Parliaments that have been happy to follow that. Last year we elected a Parliament that voted for legislation to enable the referendum. And lo and behold one is taking place.

Its still gloriously unclear who will physically stop us from holding a referendum in future.....
This discussion has been closed.