Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson on tonight’s big European election

13»

Comments

• Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Speedy said:

Economists are like polling companies, they have customers to keep happy

That's why most economists fail to predict recessions until they have already begun.
    Too busy writing rosy reports for stockholders.
    Correct, I'd love to see some of the polls that were never published
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited May 2016

The most long term effects often come from things not predicted and which seemed minor at the time.

For example did anyone foresee in the summer of 1990 that Iraq was about to invade Kuwait and that we would be dealing with the consequences a generation later ?

Yes, Iraq was deeply in debt to Kuwait after the Iran-Iraq war, the price of oil was too low to sustain payments, and Saddam had asked for permission to invade from the Americans.

And the Clash of Civilizations was written in 1996.
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944
    Sean_F said:

Yes the IMF have consistently been over optomistic!

So if you do not expect the IMF report to be accurate, what is your preferred source for predicting the economic consequences of Leave winning? Do you anticipate any effect at all?

You can't predict the future with certainty either way. That has to be clear.

We don't know the economic effects of staying in.

We do know that our non EU trade is growing much faster than our EU trade and we also know that the EU is stuck in a mire of it's own making to which it does not appear to have answers. (If it did then then it would have tried a working one before now).

We know we can't negotiate trade deals with non EU countries whilst in the EU.
    So because you cannot predict with certainty then do not bother?

Do you expect any economic consequences at all of a Leave vote on stock and currency markets, GDP growth or other economic indicators? I am particularly thinking of the 1-5 year period.

The National Institute predicted economic growth of 1.9% in 2017, in the event of Brexit, as opposed to 2.7% in the event of Remain.

The Treasury predicted growth of 30% by 2030, in the event of Brexit, as opposed to 36% in the event of Remain.

Both in the short term, and long term, that's an acceptable level of risk, for me.
    It should also be noted that they played fast and loose with population numbers in 2030 though.... dividing the 2030 GDP by 2015 number of households. If you assume there would be less after Brexit, you would be better off.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,073
    Betting Post

Excessive wallet weight causing spinal twisting and lopsided gait? Follow Morris Dancer's F1 tips to lighten the load and ease your suffering:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/spain-pre-race-2016.html

Two tips for the race (well, three, sort of). Been an awful season to date and these are pin the tail on the donkey bets. I shall be sacrificing a goat to Zeus to try and gain divine favour.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2016
    viewcode said:

You can't predict the future with certainty either way.

If you genuinely think you need to predict with certainty...why are you on a betting site?

One workable definition of statistics is "to define the uncertainty of predictions".

[EDIT: insert phrase "you need to predict with certainty", otherwise post is self-contradictory]

People who predict with certainty are great.

They're the reason the "net deposits" figure on my betfair account is negative.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,264
    Sean_F said:

So if you do not expect the IMF report to be accurate, what is your preferred source for predicting the economic consequences of Leave winning? Do you anticipate any effect at all?

We do know that our non EU trade is growing much faster than our EU trade and we also know that the EU is stuck in a mire of it's own making to which it does not appear to have answers. (If it did then then it would have tried a working one before now).

Do you expect any economic consequences at all of a Leave vote on stock and currency markets, GDP growth or other economic indicators? I am particularly thinking of the 1-5 year period.

The National Institute predicted economic growth of 1.9% in 2017, in the event of Brexit, as opposed to 2.7% in the event of Remain.

The Treasury predicted growth of 30% by 2030, in the event of Brexit, as opposed to 36% in the event of Remain.

Both in the short term, and long term, that's an acceptable level of risk, for me.
    Is that growth in GDP or growth in GDP per capita ?

Its highly likely that immigration would be lower after Brexit (not to mention endless numbers of luvvies etc fleeing the post vote wasteland) so GDP per capita would be higher than basic GDP.

There would also be the effects on different socioeconomic demographics - higher GDP for C2s and Ds but lower for the rentier class.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

MTimT said:

Some of your 'debatable' category are more debatable than others.

2. Most would say Bernie has given Hillary a serious run for her money. Even if a win never seemed probable, at least it was possible. = GOP

4. So long as Hillary is the Dem candidate, I don't see Bloomberg entering the race and there is not other significant 3rd party/candidacy on the horizon. = GOP

8. What social unrest as has occurred has been in Dem strongholds, which are unlikely to shift to GOP, so mark as Dem.

10/11. The answer to these will be determined by your existing political affiliation, but overall I don't think the country thinks of Obama as having been a successful foreign policy president, and polling shows that the US standing in the world, while perhaps better than under Bush, is hardly back up to historical levels.

13. Trump clearly is charismatic. The question is will it help or hurt on balance.

This would put the GOP on 6, with 3 others that could fall in their favour. All in all, it indicates what my gut tells me - a close race currently that could, it everything goes right for Trump from here on out, turn into a very comfortable win for him at the electoral college.

2. Some might say that Sanders never had a real chance, but I would give you that.

4. So far there seems to be a steady 8-10% in the polls that would even choose fictional Deez Nuts for President, so I can't give that to the Dem's yet (according to the analysis 3rd party candidates usually hit incumbent parties).

8. No idea of how to quantify it, there have been sporadic riots over the years but does that count as social unrest ?

10/11. Obama doesn't seem to have a major foreign policy success or failure, small ones sure.

13. Trump is really the wild card.

So it could be a very close race with Trump's charisma playing as the decisive factor.
    Trump's charisma though is almost a negative, aggressive charisma, it is not the likeable charisma of an Obama, a Dubya, Bill Clinton, Reagan or JFK
    W didn't have charisma, so it's debatable.
    However that's why this election is going to be determined on Trump's stand-up comic act.

People are both entertained and offended by his act, which one will win ?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    viewcode said:

MTimT said:

viewcode said:

If you genuinely think you need to predict with certainty...why are you on a betting site?

One workable definition of statistics is "to define the uncertainty of predictions".

[EDIT: insert phrase "you need to predict with certainty", otherwise post is self-contradictory]

One workable definition of epistemology - "the certainty with which you can predict your uncertainty about your predictions"
    You sure of that?... :)
    :)
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Is that growth in GDP or growth in GDP per capita ?

Its highly likely that immigration would be lower after Brexit (not to mention endless numbers of luvvies etc fleeing the post vote wasteland) so GDP per capita would be higher than basic GDP.

There would also be the effects on different socioeconomic demographics - higher GDP for C2s and Ds but lower for the rentier class.
    Which is basically the point I make here:

http://aconservatives.blogspot.com/2016/04/osbornes-accountancy-is-very-creative.html
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,245
    Pong said:

Point predictions are not informative. Every prediction should be qualified by the range of its uncertainty. The Bank of England does this beautifully with its famous fan charts. But strangely the fan charts in their latest quarterly Inflation Report show no widening compared to previously despite their assertion that the referendum is causing uncertainty.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,493

Who can forget that after so many hopes were stored up last time, coming back home with a very measly return. I thought it was quite good actually but then what do I know?

Are you talking about David Cameron's EU deal or Eurovision?
    A double ententre in Eurovision? Never!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,626
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

MTimT said:

2. Most would say Bernie has given Hillary a serious run for her money. Even if a win never seemed probable, at least it was possible. = GOP

4. So long as Hillary is the Dem candidate, I don't see Bloomberg entering the race and there is not other significant 3rd party/candidacy on the horizon. = GOP

8. What social unrest as has occurred has been in Dem strongholds, which are unlikely to shift to GOP, so mark as Dem.

10/11. The answer to these will be determined by your existing political affiliation, but overall I don't think the country thinks of Obama as having been a successful foreign policy president, and polling shows that the US standing in the world, while perhaps better than under Bush, is hardly back up to historical levels.

13. Trump clearly is charismatic. The question is will it help or hurt on balance.

This would put the GOP on 6, with 3 others that could fall in their favour. All in all, it indicates what my gut tells me - a close race currently that could, it everything goes right for Trump from here on out, turn into a very comfortable win for him at the electoral college.

2. Some might say that Sanders never had a real chance, but I would give you that.

4. So far there seems to be a steady 8-10% in the polls that would even choose fictional Deez Nuts for President, so I can't give that to the Dem's yet (according to the analysis 3rd party candidates usually hit incumbent parties).

8. No idea of how to quantify it, there have been sporadic riots over the years but does that count as social unrest ?

10/11. Obama doesn't seem to have a major foreign policy success or failure, small ones sure.

So it could be a very close race with Trump's charisma playing as the decisive factor.
    Trump's charisma though is almost a negative, aggressive charisma, it is not the likeable charisma of an Obama, a Dubya, Bill Clinton, Reagan or JFK
    However that's why this election is going to be determined on Trump's stand-up comic act.

People are both entertained and offended by his act, which one will win ?
    W certainly did have charisma, which was why Rove chose to work for him and certainly far more than Gore and Kerry. Trump is a divider not a uniter as you suggest, unlike most U.S. election winners but then so is Hillary which is why it will be a brutally negative campaign
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,146

Sean_F said:

It should also be noted that they played fast and loose with population numbers in 2030 though.... dividing the 2030 GDP by 2015 number of households. If you assume there would be less after Brexit, you would be better off.
    I'm prepared to accept their figures at face value for the sake of argument. And if this really is the worst risk we run, I'd say "your point being?" in response.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    @david_herdson

A double ententre entendre in Eurovision? Never!
    nul points
    Also for me (after correction).
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

MTimT said:

I think it was usually described as "folksy charm".

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Who can forget that after so many hopes were stored up last time, coming back home with a very measly return. I thought it was quite good actually but then what do I know?

My secretary asked for an example of a double entendre, so I gave her one.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    OK completely off-topic but a question for the PB Brains Trust.

I have a FaceBook account, created because I mistakenly understood I needed one for something that I was trying to do. I have never used it. This afternoon I have an email from FaceBook asking me if I know X. I do know a person by that name, we used to work together the best part of 20 years ago. I have checked that I do not have a current email address for X, though I do have a mobile phone number still on my contacts list on my Vodaphone mobile telephone.

Can someone please explain how companies like FaceBook make these connections?
  • Options
    Pong said:

viewcode said:

The most dangerous things in life aren't those you aren't sure of but the things you are certain of but are wrong about.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I have a FaceBook account, created because I mistakenly understood I needed one for something that I was trying to do. I have never used it. This afternoon I have an email from FaceBook asking me if I know X. I do know a person by that name, we used to work together the best part of 20 years ago. I have checked that I do not have a current email address for X, though I do have a mobile phone number still on my contacts list on my Vodaphone mobile telephone.

he may have imported his contacts into facebook with your email
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, may just be an acquaintance that knows lots of people who have added you as a friend on Facebook.

Dr. Foxinsox, I sometimes take part in Twitter panels (did one with Jo Zebedee early April), and one was about comedy. I was quite pleased with my answer [as it was on the hoof] when someone asked me whether there was such a thing as a triple entendre.

I said there was, but I had never been fortunate to enjoy one myself.
  • Options

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

MTimT said:

I think it was usually described as "folksy charm".

It was said W would be a good man to invite to a BBQ.
  • Options

You probably know someone on his friends list
  • Options
    @Another-Richard

"There would also be the effects on different socioeconomic demographics - higher GDP for C2s and Ds but lower for the rentier class."

Gosh. A vote to leave might mean the already wealthy might be, relatively or even absolutely, less well off? Never would have guessed.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

The trouble with the French is that they don't have a word for double entendre...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Thanks, Mr. Hyfud, and I might very well know people that X knows, in fact in the real world we almost certainly do given that we served together for a number of years, but how does FaceBook know of our second order connection? I have never used my FaceBook account it was created and that is as far as it has ever gone.
  • Options

Mr. Llama, may just be an acquaintance that knows lots of people who have added you as a friend on Facebook.

Dr. Foxinsox, I sometimes take part in Twitter panels (did one with Jo Zebedee early April), and one was about comedy. I was quite pleased with my answer [as it was on the hoof] when someone asked me whether there was such a thing as a triple entendre.

O/T I'm reading a new series called the Sarantine Mosaic, by Guy Gavriel Kay, which I think you'd love. Very low magic fantasy, in the Byzantine Empire in the time of Justinian . Very enthralling.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I'm prepared to accept their figures at face value for the sake of argument. And if this really is the worst risk we run, I'd say "your point being?" in response.
    My point being, that if we left the EU each household would be better of by £3980 per year. (Using the same rubbish as the treasury but correcting for the Conservative govt keeping migration targets in the event of Brexit).

Didn't you read my blog post here?
    http://aconservatives.blogspot.com/2016/04/osbornes-accountancy-is-very-creative.html
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    National - IPSOS/Reuters

Clinton 41 .. Trump 37

Clinton 56 .. Sanders 41

http://www.ipsos-na.com/download/pr.aspx?id=15580
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

HYUFD said:

Thanks, Mr. Hyfud, and I might very well know people that X knows, in fact in the real world we almost certainly do given that we served together for a number of years, but how does FaceBook know of our second order connection? I have never used my FaceBook account it was created and that is as far as it has ever gone.
    Maybe he searched for you but because he couldn't identify that your profile was you, he didn't send a friend request.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

My point being, that if we left the EU each household would be better of by £3980 per year. (Using the same rubbish as the treasury but correcting for the Conservative govt keeping migration targets in the event of Brexit).

Didn't you read my blog post here?
    "Your point being?" is directed at Remain's economists.
  • Options
    Mr. F, I've read Tigana, by Guy Gavriel Kay, and that's fantastic (fictional world). I did start a Byzantinesque fantasy of his, but it was so similar (Excubitors and so forth) it set me a bit on edge. Can't quite explain why, and may give it another go at some point.

Incidentally, hope you've had a look at Bane of Souls/Journey to Altmortis (more serious fantasy, by me).

On a less self-promoting note, I've recently enjoyed the two Sleeping Gods novels (more coming) by Ralph Kern, and the Stormlight Archives (again, two for now) by Brandon Sanderson.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Sean_F said:

O/T I'm reading a new series called the Sarantine Mosaic, by Guy Gavriel Kay, which I think you'd love. Very low magic fantasy, in the Byzantine Empire in the time of Justinian . Very enthralling.
    Thanks for the recommendation, Mr. F, and it does sound right up my street. Alas it is not available in Kindle format and thus, thanks to Herself's one in one out edict, I am not allowed to buy it.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Mr. Llama, you could get it as an mp3 audiobook.

Edited extra bit: and Under Heaven does seem to be available in Kindle format.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If you are Facebook friends with anyone on his friends list, have interacted with them or have listed you have worked or studied at the same place Facebook will make a potential connection
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited May 2016

Lots of different ways. Probably including but not limited to:

You share one or more mutual friends
    You told Facebook that you visited the same place, worked for the same employer etc at the same they did.
    You uploaded geocoded photographs with the same time/place that they did
    You liked the same things they did (photos, items etc)
    You subscribed to the same pages they did
    You appeared in their "recommended friends" but they didn't recognise you.
    People you searched for
    People that searched for you
    Giving Facebook access to your email account (it looks at your contacts list)
    Using the Facebook mobile client (it looks at your contact list unless you repeatedly say not to)

You have heard the bit of research about how every actor in hollywood is no more than 6 connections from Kevin Bacon ? Facebook do that same with you, they calculate a "friend distance", smaller number, more likely to know each other.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Degrees_of_Kevin_Bacon
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    JackW said:

National - IPSOS/Reuters

Clinton 41 .. Trump 37

Clinton 56 .. Sanders 41

The Trump surge continues.
  • Options

Mr. Llama, you could get it as an mp3 audiobook.

Edited extra bit: and Under Heaven does seem to be available in Kindle format.

Mr. D., "Sailing to Sarantium: Book One of the Sarantine Mosaic" on Amazon is available in hardback or paperback but not Kindle. I have no idea what an Mp3 audiobook is, but if it is like a talking book, then it is no use to me now that I have stopped driving - can wear headphones in bed.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Facebook do that same with you, they calculate a "friend distance", smaller number, more likely to know each other.

A bit like the Erdös number then!
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    Did I really read on the last thread a suggestion that Romanian migrants don't integrate? Perhaps they heard Farage say that they wouldn't be welcome if they tried.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Lots of different ways. Probably including but not limited to:

You share one or more mutual friends
    You told Facebook that you visited the same place, worked for the same employer etc at the same they did.
    You uploaded geocoded photographs with the same time/place that they did
    You liked the same things they did (photos, items etc)
    You subscribed to the same pages they did
    You appeared in their "recommended friends" but they didn't recognise you.
    People you searched for
    People that searched for you
    Giving Facebook access to your email account (it looks at your contacts list)
    Using the Facebook mobile client (it looks at your contact list unless you repeatedly say not to)

You have heard the bit of research about how every actor in hollywood is no more than 6 connections from Kevin Bacon ? Facebook do that same with you, they calculate a "friend distance", smaller number, more likely to know each other.
    Mssrs Hyfud and Indigo,

Thanks for your suggestions, all of which make perfect sense except for one small detail: FaceBook knows nothing about me but my name and my email address. I created the account with the minimum of information needed and have never even logged on to it since.

I regularly get emails from FaceBook appearing in my inbox saying, "You have 1 friend request" and usually I just delete them without reading but this one popped up saying "Do you know X" and it excited my interest as to how that connection could have been made.
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

JackW said:

National - IPSOS/Reuters

Clinton 41 .. Trump 37

Clinton 56 .. Sanders 41

The Trump surge continues.
    He was only 2% behind yesterday
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Well done, Mr. D.! Quite why I had one page on Amazon saying Hardback or paperback and you had another saying Kindle or paperback is something to be explored. However, thanks to you I have purchased the book and looking forward to beddy-byes time so I can read it.

For now, however, Thomas is hungry and so I must away. Thanks all for some interesting conversation
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,108

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    Mr. Llama, np. When I searched at first it took me a little time to find it. Sometimes, with multiple editions, it can be unnecessarily tricky.
This discussion has been closed.