Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Evening round up of the main political betting markets

Comments

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

The big risk with Trump is that he'll get bored. He clearly wants to win the Presidency, but whether he actually wants to be President is another matter entirely. If you're not a politician - and he's not - it could get tiring to be so constrained.

Hell of an ego trip, though.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Putin isn't stupid, if he spends money on trolls it won't be to waste time on pointless sites like this. Its good fun but has zero influence, nobody EVER changes their mind.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,125
    Now that its been revealed that there's been over a million extra immigrants to the UK I wonder what effect that has had on the economic stats.

More people means that GDP per capita has been even lower and depending on how many have been already included in the workforce would have a negative effect on productivity.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

...Now that its been revealed that there's been over a million extra immigrants to the UK ...

LOL!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,923

Purdah is perhaps more valid. Not sure if purdah should apply here though (I thought from memory the purdah period hasn't started yet and furthermore it applies to the government and civil service, not sure it extends to the independent BoE.

If we define "the government" as the PM, Cabinet and the Civil Service, then "purdah" applies to the Civil Service. I don't think it's started yet. It's pretty strict: when it starts an email goes round reminding you what you're not allowed to do. This would apply even to bodies that are staffed by civil servants but are also statutorily independent, such as the ONS. But it doesn't contradict or prevent the duties of those bodies: that's why when Glen Watson (ONS deputy Director General) issued an explanatory note regarding short-term and long-term migration (see previous threads) it wasn't breaking purdah

As to the PM and Cabinet, I extremely doubt purdah applies to them, otherwise they would not be able to campaign in a General Election
  • Options
    bigjohnwelshspoof was busy telling us that today was the end for Leave, it seems the papers disagree
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,886
    edited May 2016

GIN1138 said:

Evening all. I've had a busy day and missed my own thread. I also missed record-breaking quantities of fauxtrage from people who are happy to label others quislings, traitors and hating their own country. They must have wide throats not to choke on their hypocrisy.

While you are here Mr. Meeks can I ask you again to identify those posters on here that are directed and/or paid for by foreign agencies. The other evening you said that they exist but despite being asked a couple of times you have so far not named them.
    People get paid to post on PB????? So that's where I've been going wrong for the past decade!
    It does explain why some people of working age seem to spend most of the day on the site.

I'd like to know what the going payment rate is and whether PBers can transfer from one foreign agency to another.
    I just assumed a lot of the people here were unemployable... :smiley:
  • Options

Now that its been revealed that there's been over a million extra immigrants to the UK I wonder what effect that has had on the economic stats.

More people means that GDP per capita has been even lower and depending on how many have been already included in the workforce would have a negative effect on productivity.

Maybe we did have a "double dip" all the way along? :open_mouth:
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,955

Evening all. I've had a busy day and missed my own thread. I also missed record-breaking quantities of fauxtrage from people who are happy to label others quislings, traitors and hating their own country. They must have wide throats not to choke on their hypocrisy.

While you are here Mr. Meeks can I ask you again to identify those posters on here that are directed and/or paid for by foreign agencies. The other evening you said that they exist but despite being asked a couple of times you have so far not named them.
    I think RCS1000 has confirmed that we have a number of posters from Russian IP addresses.

If you suggest that Ukraine has the right to self determination and applicatant status for EU membership and they tend to pop up.
    I'm amazed this is seen as an unlikely thesis. It's not as though Russia's troll factories aren't well documented.

I've been accused of being in the pay of the Labour party on here a few times in the past - probably by people ripping you to shreds over something that may actually be true! This referendum is not bringing out the best in some folk.

• Options
    Fenster said:

Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: Extraordinary polling by Comres for how important Gov Carney view (60%ish) is in every age group, class, region: https://t.co/klHZ1WhHWP

Fecking hell, I follow politics and keep getting him mixed up with Martha Kearney.
    I can so beat that...
  • Options

Putin isn't stupid, if he spends money on trolls it won't be to waste time on pointless sites like this. Its good fun but has zero influence, nobody EVER changes their mind.

I've changed my mind a few times over the years... Sometimes in a matter of hours! ;)
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    I just discovered Hillary Clinton's Nan was from Merthyr Tydfil.

That's one seriously hard Nan.

Have there been any previous POTUS's who were part Welsh?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

The Corbyn supporter...had a good word for Boris' intellectual credentials...

To the end of my days I will never understand this unkillable conceit that Boris is an intellectual. Going to Oxford to study Classics doesn't indicate you are intelligent, it indicates you have been well-taught and/or can work hard - which isn't the same thing. He hasn't shown any real capacity for original thought and his postgraduate publication history has been more journalism than research - synthesising and presenting existing sources instead of generating new thought. Gove is arguably his superior, and in terms of authorship Hague definitely is.
    Intellectuals rarely get the top job in politics, Boris is smart which is more important
    "Cunning" would perhaps be more apt.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,112

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Bill Clinton is the most popular ex president alive, he is Hillary's best asset

He is now old and frail: his physical appearance is shocking. He would work well in print or possibly as a voiceover, but in person? Not really.
    Being old and a little dogeared does not seem to count against a candidate for POTUS. Indeed it is the youngsters who have fallen by the wayside. The contrast with our own cult of youth is quite noticeable.
    The last 3 presidents were 47, 54 and 46 when elected. The age of the last 3 PMs when they entered No 10 was 43, 56 and 43. Not so different. Corbyn is 66 so would be pushing 70 if he became PM
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

I think RCS1000 has confirmed that we have a number of posters from Russian IP addresses.

If you suggest that Ukraine has the right to self determination and applicatant status for EU membership and they tend to pop up.
    I'm amazed this is seen as an unlikely thesis. It's not as though Russia's troll factories aren't well documented.

I've been accused of being in the pay of the Labour party on here a few times in the past - probably by people ripping you to shreds over something that may actually be true! This referendum is not bringing out the best in some folk.

I was accused of writing to curry favour with David Cameron. What was most amusing was that the article in question predicted the decline into irrelevance of the current government.
  • Options
    I'm sure we're all amazed that the RBS fatcats are going to face no criminal charges.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-36276346

Do any PBers get a £700K plus annual pension ?

Fred Goodwin does and its paid for by you.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Fenster said:

Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: Extraordinary polling by Comres for how important Gov Carney view (60%ish) is in every age group, class, region: https://t.co/klHZ1WhHWP

Fecking hell, I follow politics and keep getting him mixed up with Martha Kearney.
    :smiley:
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509

It's quite possible we have bag snatchers and child molesters amongst our number too, but that would be a rather flimsy basis upon which to chuck around the accusation.

Your pitiable attempt to smear me revealed all your condemnation about tinfoil conspiracies to be farcical - you're more than happy to indulge in flights of fancy that would make David Icke blush as long as they're *your* conspiracy theories.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    viewcode said:

Fenster said:

Scott_P said:

I can so beat that...
    Ha! Awesome..
  • Options

I was accused of writing to curry favour with David Cameron. What was most amusing was that the article in question predicted the decline into irrelevance of the current government.
    I can think of one regular poster/thread writer who treats this site as a job application.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

To the end of my days I will never understand this unkillable conceit that Boris is an intellectual. Going to Oxford to study Classics doesn't indicate you are intelligent, it indicates you have been well-taught and/or can work hard - which isn't the same thing. He hasn't shown any real capacity for original thought and his postgraduate publication history has been more journalism than research - synthesising and presenting existing sources instead of generating new thought. Gove is arguably his superior, and in terms of authorship Hague definitely is.
    Intellectuals rarely get the top job in politics, Boris is smart which is more important
    Nothing wrong with that in politics
  • Options

After this refernedum nonsense is over will you be bringing back Anti Frank? He was soooooo much nicer. :)
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,352

bigjohnwelshspoof was busy telling us that today was the end for Leave, it seems the papers disagree

Well Faisal Islam did a big hatchet job on leave on Sky tonight saying that 61% are looking to Carney for advice, double that from Obama and even higher than the Queen and that the story was very much a positive for remain. Also the IMF report next week is expected to be very negative for leave. It doesn't help when Jacob Rees Mogg over reacts by demanding Carney's sacking. As far as the print media are concerned most are for leave and do not provide any balance and it would be astonishing if they weren't supportive of leave
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

He is now old and frail: his physical appearance is shocking. He would work well in print or possibly as a voiceover, but in person? Not really.
    Being old and a little dogeared does not seem to count against a candidate for POTUS. Indeed it is the youngsters who have fallen by the wayside. The contrast with our own cult of youth is quite noticeable.
    The last 3 presidents were 47, 54 and 46 when elected. The age of the last 3 PMs when they entered No 10 was 43, 56 and 43. Not so different. Corbyn is 66 so would be pushing 70 if he became PM
    This years POTUS will be decades past their forties.
  • Options

Well Faisal Islam did a big hatchet job on leave on Sky tonight saying that 61% are looking to Carney for advice, double that from Obama and even higher than the Queen and that the story was very much a positive for remain. Also the IMF report next week is expected to be very negative for leave. It doesn't help when Jacob Rees Mogg over reacts by demanding Carney's sacking. As far as the print media are concerned most are for leave and do not provide any balance and it would be astonishing if they weren't supportive of leave
    Faisal is so obviously for Remain, it's painful
  • Options

OMG ROFL LOL PMSL
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Isn't it odd that we're told open door immigration of low skilled economic migrants is so beneficial for Britain yet the last decade has been the worst on record for economic growth and has required a trillion pounds of government borrowing.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

You're a fucking idiot, is what you are.
    :open_mouth:
  • Options

It's quite possible we have bag snatchers and child molesters amongst our number too, but that would be a rather flimsy basis upon which to chuck around the accusation.

Your pitiable attempt to smear me revealed all your condemnation about tinfoil conspiracies to be farcical - you're more than happy to indulge in flights of fancy that would make David Icke blush as long as they're *your* conspiracy theories.
    Does Ukraine have the right to sovereign control of its own territory?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Isn't it odd that we're told open door immigration of low skilled economic migrants is so beneficial for Britain yet the last decade has been the worst on record for economic growth and has required a trillion pounds of government borrowing.
    To be fair a lot of that is down to Brooooooonnnnnn and the banks bringing the economy to it's knees but yeah, something doesn't quite add up...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    SeanT said:

You're a fucking idiot, is what you are.
    I see the Algonquin table had no spare places tonight.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited May 2016
    I imagine the EU bureaucrats' solution to this problem will be to propose MORE EUROPE.
  • Options

OMG ROFL LOL PMSL
    As far as I am concerned you and I will not agree on the EU but you being in denial about today's poor day for leave is par for the course
  • Options

Yes, I'm sure hordes of undecideds are thinking to themselves - 'If only some establishment authority figure with a background in the international banking industry would just give me a steer on this vote.'

If Remain are now doing repeats, will Emma Thompson do a lap of honour?
  • Options
    The latest from bigjohnspooftroll is 61% of us are looking to Mark Carney for advice, I doubt 6% have ever even heard of him.

Who's feeding him this bollox, surely he's not on Putin's payroll too.
  • Options

Or maybe he is just saying it as it is
  • Options
    I'm surprised we're not having more #EURef polling.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954

This referendum is not bringing out the best in some folk.
    It's not bringing out the best in anyone online or elsewhere, except possibly Michael Gove, who I think it's correct has not acted like a child yet, unlike most of his colleagues in Leave or Remain.
  • Options

Yes.

Are you putting forward the view that I am posting on behalf of Mother Russia?
  • Options

The latest from bigjohnspooftroll is 61% of us are looking to Mark Carney for advice, I doubt 6% have ever even heard of him.

You really are rattled today. Faisal Islam was quoting from a published poll of voters and after today's media onslaught the last thing that leave needed was Jacob Rees Mogg sounding off and drawing far more attention to the story.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

...with the advantage of some personal experience I can vouch for the fact he is extremely clever. Multi-lingual, mentally adroit, super well educated. You might not like him, but he is SMART.

Multi-lingual doesn't make you smart. Sara Chalke from Scrubs (or, if you're old enough, The Wrong Becky) is famously fluent in German. Mila Kunis is fluent in Russian. Viggo Mortensen
    can speak English, Danish, Spanish, French, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish and Catalan, and unbelievably Tom Hiddleston can do French, Italian, Spanish, Russia, Greek, Latin, German, Korean and Mandarin with various fluency, as well as having a nice bum and the capacity to use the word "qwim" without giggling. However we are not proposing to make Loki the postBrexit PM or make Aragorn Chancellor

Super well-educated doesn't mean you are smart. Receiving education is not as important as what you do with it afterwards.

I can't speak for his adroitness, although it isn't obvious in his television appearances.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

Nothing wrong with that in politics
    Unfortunately true.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Yes.

The fat man waits at the harbour

FFS, did you not pick up your envelope of roubles at Woolwich Ferry?
    The rouble isn't what it once was; I'm insisting on being paid in Kaviar and stolen religious iconography these days.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Jolly good, you say they exist. So name them. No need to be shy, you have information that surely would be of interest to the rest of the community. So, please, why not share it? Who are these PB posters who are directed/paid by foreign governments?
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

I imagine the EU bureaucrats' solution to this problem will be to propose MORE EUROPE.
    It's most amusing, all those Little Italians, Little French, Little Germans...
  • Options
    edited May 2016

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

This years POTUS will be decades past their forties.
    Hillary is 68, Trump 69 so in the same age bracket as Corbyn is, who knows who the successor to Cameron will be, or how old! Philip Hammond is 60, Theresa May 59
  • Options

Yes.

Including the Crimea peninsula and Donbass region?

I am glad that you agree.

I am one of the more Russophile posters on here, but Putin's actions and crimes against Ukraine are beyond defending. Do you agree?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

As for today, I'd say it's a score draw.

REMAIN's Carney probably cancels out LEAVE's migration scare. Both potentially big, but similar in effect.

On a lower level, Brussels Hates Kettles and Toasters probably equals LEAVE campaign infighting.

So it's as you were.

But the status quo ante, I submit, is better news for LEAVE than REMAIN. It is REMAIN who hoped to be 20 points ahead by now, not LEAVE. And if we enter the final fortnight with the teams level-pegging then there might be a patriotic and emotional rush to LEAVE, as we saw in Scotland, except this time there is no silent Unionist hardcore ready to save the day.

Either way, I stand by my prediction that REMAIN will quite narrowly win and then we will see a huge emotional, eurosceptic backlash, as guilty voters make Cameron pay the price for their own unpatriotic selfishness. Ergo, Cameron is finished whatever happens. The Tory party might split in the hideous aftermath. And it will be bloody.

Sceptics will take over.</blockquote

I think you under estimate David Cameron. If he is challenged it would be interesting if he decided that he was going to stand for re-election and lead the party into 2020 election. Unlikely but in this atmosphere anything could happen though I believe Gove and Boris will be key to post 23rd June unity. I would be surprised if Remain don't achieve 55-58%. It's the economy stupid (for the avoidance of doubt not you Sean T)
  • Options
    VapidBilgeVapidBilge Posts: 412

Yes.

I am one of the more Russophile posters on here, but Putin's actions and crimes against Ukraine are beyond defending. Do you agree?
    What crimes are these?
  • Options

So the Bank of England is making predictions about future recessions.

The same Bank of England which in August 2008 was predicting no recession even though a recession had already started four months earlier:

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/Pages/inflationreport/irprobab.aspx
  • Options

You really are rattled today. Faisal Islam was quoting from a published poll of voters and after today's media onslaught the last thing that leave needed was Jacob Rees Mogg sounding off and drawing far more attention to the story.
    I've been anti EU for a decade, from a time when most people weren't aware it existed, I stood for parliament at great personal cost because I'm anti EU, I've hosted Vote Leave events. And now, with some polls having Leave in the lead when a year ago they were points behind you accuse me of being rattled?

I'm as happy as a pig in shite thanks.
  • Options

Yes.

What crimes are these?
    :smiley:

And welcome to PB.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    O/T - I'm still in 2015... not noticed this before... this pollster nailed it!

http://www.comres.co.uk/polls/itv-news-south-west-lib-dem-tory-battlegrounds/
  • Options

Yes.

What crimes are these?
    Invading Crimea and shooting down a civilian airliner are amongst the most obvious.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

viewcode said:

Fenster said:

Scott_P said:

I can so beat that...
    Ha! Awesome..
    The horrible thing is, once you've seen that clip, you can't see Mark Carney without thinking of it...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It's not bringing out the best in anyone online or elsewhere, except possibly Michael Gove, who I think it's correct has not acted like a child yet, unlike most of his colleagues in Leave or Remain.
    I think it's brought out the best in IDS. I've been impressed no end. Wish he'd had some of that spunk and instinct for publicity when he lead the party, but I feel he's maybe a serial rebel who is better when fighting against authority rather than trying to engender a sense of it.

Apart from Boris recently waking up, no other Leavers have really made been noticeable to me except via gaffe imho. It really has been a useless campaign - thankfully Leave seems to have its own audience anyway.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

...and also I dated his sister....

Dude! Respect!

• Options
    edited May 2016

Yes.

What crimes are these?
    Invading Crimea and shooting down a civilian airliner are amongst the most obvious.
    Invading Crimea? Oh no he didn't.

The troops were there by agreement with Ukraine. They crossed no frontier.

Also, the democratically elected Crimean Parliament voted to secede from Ukraine.

As for the airliner, I don't know anything about that as it's my first day in this job.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    The thing about a silent hardcore is... it's silent.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I think it's brought out the best in IDS. I've been impressed no end. Wish he'd had some of that spunk and instinct for publicity when he lead the party, but I feel he's maybe a serial rebel who is better when fighting against authority rather than trying to engender a sense of it.

Apart from Boris recently waking up, no other Leavers have really made been noticeable to me except via gaffe imho. It really has been a useless campaign - thankfully Leave seems to have its own audience anyway.
    Dan Hannan has been superb
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

...with the advantage of some personal experience I can vouch for the fact he is extremely clever. Multi-lingual, mentally adroit, super well educated. You might not like him, but he is SMART.

Multi-lingual doesn't make you smart. Sara Chalke from Scrubs (or, if you're old enough, The Wrong Becky) is famously fluent in German. Mila Kunis is fluent in Russian. Viggo Mortensen
    can speak English, Danish, Spanish, French, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish and Catalan, and unbelievably Tom Hiddleston can do French, Italian, Spanish, Russia, Greek, Latin, German, Korean and Mandarin with various fluency, as well as having a nice bum and the capacity to use the word "qwim" without giggling. However we are not proposing to make Loki the postBrexit PM or make Aragorn Chancellor

Super well-educated doesn't mean you are smart. Receiving education is not as important as what you do with it afterwards.

I can't speak for his adroitness, although it isn't obvious in his television appearances.
    Yeah, but... being multilingual, getting a scholarship to Eton, getting a First at Oxford, being a very impressive Classics Scholar, being arguably the most successful editor ever of the Spectator Magazine, being a highly esteemed Telegraph columnist (and earning £0.3m a year for the job), being a Cabinet Minister, being a twice elected Tory mayor in the greatest city in the world (known for its Labour leaning tendencies) and also bedding 300 women, at the same time, speaks to me of someone of, you know, mmm, above average intelligence?

I'll stop arse licking Boris now, because he is also a bit of a twerp and a narcissist and not as good a politician as he thinks, and also I dated his sister, so its weird, but he is undeniably very smart. He just is.
    Upper Second
  • Options

Yes.

Jolly good, and no, let's have you answer my question - I think a question for a question is fair.

My views on world events, provided they do not constitute hate speech, can be about aliens, lizards, and everything in between, and you're entitled to disagree. The point here is about the accusation of being a paid or otherwise persuaded troll.

This seems to be what you're implying. Could you move on from it being a throwaway smear -and just clarify what it is you're accusing me of? Ta.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389

kle4 said:

I think it's brought out the best in IDS. I've been impressed no end.
    This day is getting stranger and stranger.

Good night.
  • Options

Dan Hannan has been superb

Yes, he always is, goes without saying. But not visible. No making the news with relevant interventions.

So long as Dan Hannan is content to be a sort of 'King over the water' 'Best PM we never had' sort of figure, I can't get too invested in him.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

I have a theory that the campaigns don't really matter, either way. What we're witnessing is the British public waking up to the reality of the EU, just as we saw the Scots waking up the to possibility of independence.

Hence the counter-intuitive reactions from the public - moving to LEAVE after Obama, for instance. Just as the Scots moved to YES after the warning on the pound.

I stand by my prediction that we will also see a Scots-style result - 56-44 REMAIN - and a Scots-style aftermath, with sceptics rampant and europhiles in bewildered retreat, despite their victory.
    You're no doubt right. Which makes the whole process quite scary, for both sides.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Yes.

What crimes are these?

Also, the democratically elected Crimean Parliament voted to secede from Ukraine.

As for the airliner, I don't know anything about that as it's my first day in this job.
    Lol @ your user name.
  • Options

Yes.

Jolly good, and no, let's have you answer my question - I think a question for a question is fair.

My views on world events, provided they do not constitute hate speech, can be about aliens, lizards, and everything in between, and you're entitled to disagree. The point here is about the accusation of being a paid or otherwise persuaded troll.

This seems to be what you're implying. Could you move on from it being a throwaway smear -and just clarify what it is you're accusing me of? Ta.
    I do not have access to PB IP addresses or to your bank account, so am not in a position to prove anything.

But I see what I see.

Mind you, I have been accused of being a paid stooge of Tory central office on here!
  • Options

I've been anti EU for a decade, from a time when most people weren't aware it existed, I stood for parliament at great personal cost because I'm anti EU, I've hosted Vote Leave events. And now, with some polls having Leave in the lead when a year ago they were points behind you accuse me of being rattled?

I'm as happy as a pig in shite thanks.
    Why do you spoil a good post with your last sentence. I really do respect your position though do not share it. SIgning off now and have a good night
  • Options
    Sean T's theories about campaigns might be right, the tory campaign was to put up a poster of one bloke in another bloke's pocket, it worked, everything else was irrelevant.

And yes I'm biased, but I see a mood change, a movement, of Meeks losing his rag and being told to fuck off, I sincerely hope Leave prevails.

Oh, btw, the poster isn't a poster this time, its called something called the Euros which grips the nation in patriotic face painted fervour.

Did somebody once mention events?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377

As opposed to Hungarian troll factories? ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2016

The same Bank of England which in August 2008 was predicting no recession even though a recession had already started four months earlier:

Technically speaking, Mr Richard, a recession exists after two quarters of negative contraction. So in August 2008 the BofE may well have been correct at least in as much that there was, at that point, no recession and whether there actually would be was a matter of judgement.

That the Bank's judgment was horribly wrong cannot be denied; though they were not alone in that - months after it was obvious that we were into the deepest recession in living memory members of HMG (and the BBC) still referred to the "downturn" and not that there was a recession.

Let us see how well the Bank, and HMG do with forecasting the next recession. Should not have to wait too long.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2016
    HYUFD said:

chestnut said:

Going for a straightforward 'DE's don't vote' segment, for example, is fraught with risk.

The group breaks down into two distinct clusters.

The first is students, private tenants, the economically inactive due to illness and jobseekers. These are young or working age. They are Labour. They are Remain.

The second is pensioners, outright homeowners, homemakers. They are middle aged or elderly. They are Tory or UKIP. They are Leave.

Which ones are more likely to vote?

It's the same with online/phone polls. They are not uniform in their quality.

Some internet pollsters are accurate. Some are garbage. The same applies with telephones.

That misreads the point, working class UKIP voters do not vote as often as they say they will to pollsters, as the general and local elections proved so you can say some working class Leavers will be less likely to vote
    UKIP May 2015 with Final Phone Polls

Actual 12.9%
    Ipsos 11%
    ICM 11%
    Ashcroft 11%
    Comres 12%

A month before the election ICM gave UKIP 7% :smile:

That demonstrates, unquestionably, that phone polls understated UKIP.

UKIP/Con Bloc May 2015 with Final Phone Polls

Actual 50.6%
    Ipsos 47% (-3.6%)
    ICM 46% (-4.6%)
    Ashcroft 44% (-6.6%)
    Comres 47% (-3.6%)

That demonstrates, unquestionably, that phone polls understated the right wing bloc.

People placing undying faith in telephone polls should be conscious of their inability to accurately collect right wing opinion, whether UKIP or Tory. These are the two 2015 pro-Leave groups.

It's also a clear mistake to assume all polls overstate UKIP.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    MP_SE said:

Yes.

What crimes are these?

Lol @ your user name.
    I'm sorry, I thought from the discussions over the last few days it was some vernacular expression common to political discourse in the UK. Is it offensive?

I'm sure that someone suggested a racehorse be named Vapid Bilge earlier today - and Weatherbys would never allow anything offensive as a racehorse name.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

EPG said:

The thing about a silent hardcore is... it's silent.

Silent but voting in Scotand. Silent but.. I fear... not voting in the UK.

That's why Cameron is scared. The europhiles are not enthusiastic
    The median voter is for Remain but reluctantly and would be quite happy for the result to be close enough to give the EU a shock, which is why 52 48 Remain is roughly where I think it will be!
  • Options
    The arrival of Mr Bilge suggests my point about mood is pertinent, Leave are having all the fun, and fun is good, its not fear or WAR!!!!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Yes.

What crimes are these?
    Almost as bad as Britain and the US invading Iraq.
  • Options

As opposed to Hungarian troll factories? ;)
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/02/putin-kremlin-inside-russian-troll-house

Trolling for fun is quite a different sport to what goes on in Russia.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954

MP_SE said:

Yes.

What crimes are these?

Lol @ your user name.
    I'm sorry, I thought from the discussions over the last few days it was some vernacular expression common to political discourse in the UK. Is it offensive?

I'm sure that someone suggested a racehorse be named Vapid Bilge earlier today - and Weatherbys would never allow anything offensive as a racehorse name.
    I think it almost sounds rather classy, to be honest. I'd like my username to be inane prattle or tiresome screed (the latter was actually a summary of my posts by another user during a heated exchange).
  • Options

Technically speaking, Mr Richard, a recession exists after two quarters of negative contraction. So in August 2008 the BofE may well have been correct at least in as much that there was, at that point, no recession and whether there actually would be was a matter of judgement.

That the Bank's judgment was horribly wrong cannot be denied; though they were not alone in that - months after it was obvious that we were into the deepest recession in living memory members of HMG (and the BBC) still referred to the "downturn" and not that there was a recession.

Let us see how well the Bank, and HMG do with forecasting the next recession. Should not have to wait too long.
    Some of us were able to forecast a recession in May 2008:

' Richard, do you think we’re going into recession?

May 3rd, 2008 at 6:54 pm

Richard

Yes – the economic fundamentals of this country are very weak. We have an ‘Emperor’s New Clothes’ economy based on too much debt fuelled wealth consumption (both private and public sector) but with too little wealth creation.

The sense of affluence caused by the house price pyramid scheme is going into reverse and this will lead to job losses in construction, financial services and retail.

Manufacturing employment is already at its lowest level on record and is being very hard hit by rising commodity prices not to mention extra taxes, insurance costs and red tape.

Issues like national energy security and savings/pensions are also very worrying. Expect the next few years to see rising prices, job losses, public sector strikes and repeated crises. Very 1970s!

May 3rd, 2008 at 11:45 pm '
  • Options

Yes.

What crimes are these?

Nice to see yet more Vapid Bilge on this forum! :lol:
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,358

Oi, we're not getting our money's worth!

But yes, although in theory an interesting spectator sport to watch righties beating each other up (makes a change from you and me doing it, eh?), it's a bit sordid. The LACS might want to intervene.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

chestnut said:

Going for a straightforward 'DE's don't vote' segment, for example, is fraught with risk.

The first is students, private tenants, the economically inactive due to illness and jobseekers. These are young or working age. They are Labour. They are Remain.

The second is pensioners, outright homeowners, homemakers. They are middle aged or elderly. They are Tory or UKIP. They are Leave.

Some internet pollsters are accurate. Some are garbage. The same applies with telephones.

That misreads the point, working class UKIP voters do not vote as often as they say they will to pollsters, as the general and local elections proved so you can say some working class Leavers will be less likely to vote

Actual 12.9%
    Ipsos 11%
    ICM 11%
    Ashcroft 11%
    Comres 12%

Actual 50.6%
    Ipsos 47% (-3.6%)
    ICM 46% (-4.6%)
    Ashcroft 44% (-6.6%)
    Comres 47% (-3.6%)

That demonstrates, unquestionably, that phone polls understated the right wing bloc.

People placing undying faith in telephone polls should be conscious of their inability to accurately collect right wing opinion, whether UKIP or Tory. These are the two 2015 pro-Leave groups.

Excellent post. One that needs repeating.
  • Options

I do not have access to PB IP addresses or to your bank account, so am not in a position to prove anything.

But I see what I see.

Mind you, I have been accused of being a paid stooge of Tory central office on here!

Oh, you see what you see do you? How very sage.

It can't be called nutso tinfoil hattery when you see what you see.

I didn't actually ask you to prove anything, I asked you to make clear what your allegation was. I'm not going to sue you for slander - I'm not sure you can slander an internet moniker.

So just for the record, can I just ask you again what you're accusing me of?

There's something quite tragicomic about all this.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

...and also I dated his sister....

Dude! Respect!

I should add the word "allegedly". I was so drugged up I forget. But I have a hunch it happened.
    (weeps silently into my chips)
  • Options

I think all that shows is that establishment organisations predict and pronounce along the lines of whatever suits their own interests.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Yes.

What crimes are these?

Subsequent sitings of Russian paratroopers in Russian military vehicles were merely individuals taking vacation, and borrowing vehicles from understanding commanders.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Richard

Yes – the economic fundamentals of this country are very weak. We have an ‘Emperor’s New Clothes’ economy based on too much debt fuelled wealth consumption (both private and public sector) but with too little wealth creation.

The sense of affluence caused by the house price pyramid scheme is going into reverse and this will lead to job losses in construction, financial services and retail.

Manufacturing employment is already at its lowest level on record and is being very hard hit by rising commodity prices not to mention extra taxes, insurance costs and red tape.

Issues like national energy security and savings/pensions are also very worrying. Expect the next few years to see rising prices, job losses, public sector strikes and repeated crises. Very 1970s!

Yes some of us were able to forecast it. In fact for some of us it seemed bleedin' obvious. Not the Bank, apparently, and not the Treasury. Why we should be expected to pay the slightest attention to Treasury forecasts of the economy 14 years down the road when they are proven incapable of working out what is going to happen over the next few weeks is beyond me.

Anyway, Mr. Richard, thanks for reposting your missive from 2008. What I find scary if that you could have written much of that last week and it would be as true today as it was nearly eight years ago.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    Portillo is making the argument very well that the BBC needs to be set free from the constraints of the licence model and compete with the likes of Netflix on a global level.
  • Options

chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

chestnut said:

Actual 12.9%
    Ipsos 11%
    ICM 11%
    Ashcroft 11%
    Comres 12%

Actual 50.6%
    Ipsos 47% (-3.6%)
    ICM 46% (-4.6%)
    Ashcroft 44% (-6.6%)
    Comres 47% (-3.6%)

Excellent post. One that needs repeating.
    https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/596862677290459136
    https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/596864382434418689
  • Options

Richard

Yes some of us were able to forecast it. In fact for some of us it seemed bleedin' obvious. Not the Bank, apparently, and not the Treasury. Why we should be expected to pay the slightest attention to Treasury forecasts of the economy 14 years down the road when they are proven incapable of working out what is going to happen over the next few weeks is beyond me.

Anyway, Mr. Richard, thanks for reposting your missive from 2008. What I find scary if that you could have written much of that last week and it would be as true today as it was nearly eight years ago.
    Indeed, all the talk of reforming or rebalancing the economy was merely talk. Government economy strategy is the same as it was a decade ago - rising house prices and subsidised wealth consumption.

Some things have changed though.

When I made that prediction in May 2008 government debt stood at £562bn, it is now £1,594bn.

What have we got from spending that trillion quid we didn't have.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Yes.

What crimes are these?

Subsequent sitings of Russian paratroopers in Russian military vehicles were merely individuals taking vacation, and borrowing vehicles from understanding commanders.
    Quite.

I mean Foxinsox is a remainer and believes in Open Borders. He is always going on about how wonderful EU citizens working in the NHS are. I am perplexed how he could be against free movement of people i.e. Spetsnaz operatives seeking out new employment opportunities in Russian-speaking areas of Ukraine.

Wasn't the original provision of free movement of labour in the Treaty of Rome to allow Belgian engineers to work on French construction projects? This is the same, except the engineers brought their own equipment.

It is perfectly understandable to use ground vehicles as Foxinsox has already pointed out how dangerous it is flying in the area. I mean, another plane mysteriously fell out of the sky near Turkey not long after, but that seems to have slipped Foxinsox's memory.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited May 2016

Portillo is making the argument very well that the BBC needs to be set free from the constraints of the licence model and compete with the likes of Netflix on a global level.

It does, but today's news is more of the same for another 11 years. Wittingdale bottled any proper reform, while the world moves to Spotify, Netflix, Amazon prime anytime anywhere model.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

MTimT said:

Yes.

What crimes are these?

Quite.

I mean Foxinsox is a remainer and believes in Open Borders. He is always going on about how wonderful EU citizens working in the NHS are. I am perplexed how he could be against free movement of people i.e. Spetsnaz operatives seeking out new employment opportunities in Russian-speaking areas of Ukraine.

Wasn't the original provision of free movement of labour in the Treaty of Rome to allow Belgian engineers to work on French construction projects? This is the same, except the engineers brought their own equipment.

It is perfectly understandable to use ground vehicles as Foxinsox has already pointed out how dangerous it is flying in the area. I mean, another plane mysteriously fell out of the sky near Turkey not long after, but that seems to have slipped Foxinsox's memory.
    LOL You'll be a wonderful addition to PB! :)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/596862677290459136
    twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/596864382434418689

Peak Kipper? :D:p
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Makes you wonder if there is a connection between this and OGHs sojourn at the Russian Embassy? :D
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,972

It does, but today's news is more of the same for another 11 years. Wittingdale bottled any proper reform, while the world moves to Spotify, Netflix, Amazon prime anytime anywhere model.
    Wasn't this always the problem with Whittingdale staying in post ? any major reform would have been seen as vindictive sohe always had to soft pedal
This discussion has been closed.