Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject. Page timed out.

12346»

Comments

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,730

tlg86 said:

Indigo said:

Hamilton being parachuted into Wales is unacceptable and to be leader of UKIP beggars belief
    Not sour grapes. I would be content for a Welsh Ukipper who has devoted his time to Wales to be elected - just not Hamilton or Reckless
    Those blessed electors in Wales not voting for the right person again Mr NorthWales? What is democracy coming to?
    As an aside, no one voted for Hamilton or Reckless. The Additional Members were by closed list. People voted for the party. It makes the imposition of Hamilton and Reckless even more undemocratic.
    Yes, the single transferable vote is better in that respect. Nevertheless, if Reckless and Hamilton were that objectionable then surely it would harmed the Ukip vote.
    Since their names were not even on the ballot paper I wonder how many people knew they were top of the UKIP lists?
    Mr. Tyndall, if you don't like the rules then complain about them, but please don't whinge about people who were elected under them and call their election undemocratic.
    You are right I don't like the rules and they are undemocratic. Next point?
    Then the names of the people elected under this system do not matter. This time it was Reckless and Hamilton next time it might be 617 Jones and 639 Jones, two men, who aside from military service, have never left Brecon in their lives. The end result would still be as unpalatable, wouldn't it?
    Yes entirely. In this instance it is not just that the system is so bad it can be played in this way, it is also the fact that UKIP - who claim to be different to the other parties - play it in just the same way. Of course I am not surprised about that, not with Farage in charge, but it is still something that needs to be attacked.
    Can't say I disagree with most of that. However you can't say that Farage is in charge in Wales, Hamilton and Farage seem to hate each other.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-36251304
    https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/uk-independence-party/nigel-farage/news/73659/neil-hamilton-declines-back
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,899
    I remain puzzled as to why so many of the PB membership seem to want Trump to become the next President.

Yes, I can understand anyone having a nice betting slip with say 50/1 Trump having a vested interest but I simply don't get the anti-Clinton theme.

Is it because she dared to be nice to David Miliband or because it's almost instinctive for some to support the "non-Left" candidate irrespective of his or her qualities ?
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    edited May 2016
    Scott_P said:

@adamboultonSKY: Former Nato Sec Gen Jaap de Hoop Sheffer tells @SkyNewsTonight There will never be a European Army,

WTF would he know?

What were they smoking at the agency that whipped these "former NATO secretaries-general" into some EU propaganda action? I wonder whether they'll have any squaddies in their focus groups to tell them how this has played?
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    stodge said:

I remain puzzled as to why so many of the PB membership seem to want Trump to become the next President.

Yes, I can understand anyone having a nice betting slip with say 50/1 Trump having a vested interest but I simply don't get the anti-Clinton theme.

Is it because she dared to be nice to David Miliband or because it's almost instinctive for some to support the "non-Left" candidate irrespective of his or her qualities ?

Maybe it's because if she wins they'll lose money?

In any civilised country, Trump's run would have ended as soon as he said in public that his daughter had a great figure and that if she weren't his daughter he'd be "dating" her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diMp241gAcw
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,030

<

Yes entirely. In this instance it is not just that the system is so bad it can be played in this way, it is also the fact that UKIP - who claim to be different to the other parties - play it in just the same way. Of course I am not surprised about that, not with Farage in charge, but it is still something that needs to be attacked.

Forgive me, Mr. Tyndall, but it seems to me that your real beef is with UKIP under Farage and not with the system. A system that has been in place for a good few years now and has been "played", as you put it, by all parties since its introduction.

Perhaps I am wrong, I frequently am. In which case I am sure you and Big G will be able to point me at posts you have made complaining about the system before it delivered these results.
    You are unfortunately wrong on this.

Look at any thread we have had on here on PR going back for years. I have long advocated removing the power of the whips as a means of removing the power of parties and I consider any form of PR to be completely undemocratic. After the EU it is my favourite political hobby horse. For me the only properly democratic system is FPTP with the power of the parties massively curtailed.

But in addition I object to a party which claims to be different acting in the same way as all the others. Whether that is under Farage or anyone else doesn't matter.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,052
    stodge said:

Trump is also Strong on Muslims, which is important around here.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    stodge said:

At least half of PB are rightwing Leave backers who would happily have Farage as PM, is it that surprising they like Trump, after all Trump backs Brexit, unlike Obama
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited May 2016
    Scott_P said:

@adamboultonSKY: Former Nato Sec Gen Jaap de Hoop Sheffer tells @SkyNewsTonight There will never be a European Army,

WTF would he know?

Ursula von der Leyen, German Defense Minister, would argue otherwise. She has claimed that the merger of Dutch and German armed forces is the first step in the creation of an EU army. I thought the "dangerous fantasy" meme had been completely debunked.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Labour looks to have ticked all the boxes if it selects Dr Rosena Allin-Khan for Sadiq's replacement.She's born and bred in Tooting,a proper local lass.She's good for diversity and gender equality.She's a local councillor whose has risen to Dep Leader and a doctor in her local A&E.That should do it.BTW she also seems drop-dead gorgeous.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

<

Forgive me, Mr. Tyndall, but it seems to me that your real beef is with UKIP under Farage and not with the system. A system that has been in place for a good few years now and has been "played", as you put it, by all parties since its introduction.

Perhaps I am wrong, I frequently am. In which case I am sure you and Big G will be able to point me at posts you have made complaining about the system before it delivered these results.
    You are unfortunately wrong on this.

Look at any thread we have had on here on PR going back for years. I have long advocated removing the power of the whips as a means of removing the power of parties and I consider any form of PR to be completely undemocratic. After the EU it is my favourite political hobby horse. For me the only properly democratic system is FPTP with the power of the parties massively curtailed.

But in addition I object to a party which claims to be different acting in the same way as all the others. Whether that is under Farage or anyone else doesn't matter.
    Fair Go, Mr. T. I shall say no more.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    stodge said:

I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but to me, neither of the two front-runners seems to be good POTUS material.

Maybe Ms Clinton would be better than Mr Trump, but it saddens me that the first woman POTUS should be Ms Clinton. It is a very great milestone, no wonder that Ms Clinton has long coveted the place in history it will earn her.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

WTF would he know?

I suggest he talk to Jean-Claude Juncker, Angela Merkel and much of the European Parliament who seem to be forging ahead with plans for an EU army in spite of what the good General might think.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

At least half of PB are rightwing Leave backers who would happily have Farage as PM, is it that surprising they like Trump, after all Trump backs Brexit, unlike Obama
    Um no.

I suspect that the large majority of Leave supporters on PB would definitely not want Farage as PM. That includes a number of declared UKIP members on here.

For the record I don't want either Clinton or Trump for president but would wake up slightly less worried the morning after a Clinton victory. As far as I am concerned she is merely corrupt and elitist, not outright dangerous like Trump.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

What colossal tripe.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Um no.

I suspect that the large majority of Leave supporters on PB would definitely not want Farage as PM. That includes a number of declared UKIP members on here.

For the record I don't want either Clinton or Trump for president but would wake up slightly less worried the morning after a Clinton victory. As far as I am concerned she is merely corrupt and elitist, not outright dangerous like Trump.
    You are perhaps an exception, though the fact you are not fanatically anti Trump still puts you well to the right of the median British voter but there is a clear correlation between support for Leave and support for Trump
  • Options

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

What colossal tripe.
    What part?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Um no.

You are perhaps an exception, though the fact you are not fanatically anti Trump still puts you well to the right of the median British voter but there is a clear correlation between support for Leave and support for Trump
    Sorry I wasn't clear. It is a sign of how fanatically anti-Trump I am that I would even consider being grateful for a Clinton victory. To my mind she epitomises everything that is wrong in US politics and only someone as frightening as Trump could have made me wish for her to win.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

new thread

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Um no.

Sorry I wasn't clear. It is a sign of how fanatically anti-Trump I am that I would even consider being grateful for a Clinton victory. To my mind she epitomises everything that is wrong in US politics and only someone as frightening as Trump could have made me wish for her to win.
    You said 'For the record I don't want either Clinton or Trump for president but would wake up slightly less worried the morning after a Clinton victory.' A clear majority of British voters give Hillary a net favourable rating and have no hesitation backing her against Trump. 33% think she would be a good president, only 15% bad, 75% think Trump would be a bad president
    https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/fq13shzmxk/Eurotrack_March_Trackers_US_W.pdf
This discussion has been closed.